PDA

View Full Version : Singapore Themepark review

griffin
9th December 2012, 10:14 PM
As I promised after my day trip to California to review their Transformers Ride (in September), I went to the Singapore one in November (2 weeks ago) and just finished up the review.

To read about the entire 6-day adventure (http://www.toycollectors.com.au/blog/universal3.html).

Or to just read about the Transformers Ride portion of the trip (http://www.toycollectors.com.au/blog/universal4.html).

The adventure includes details of what sort of collectibles stores you can find in Singapore (and where), as well as a Lego exhibit and a pre-80s Toy Museum. Heaps of stuff to fill a week in Singapore.

Fungal Infection
9th December 2012, 11:48 PM
Awesome write up Grif, my family and I are planning on visiting Singapore later next year and your guide is just what I need to plan our holiday. I've actually been to the airport toystore you visited on day 1 on a stopover trip and picked up more stuff in one day than I did in the 2 weeks I spent at our actual destination!!

gekisou
10th December 2012, 08:48 AM
Great write-up Griffin, was that the TRU in VELOCITY by any chance?
Yeah, in my last trip to Singapore (to visit family), I was surprised some some stuff were really expensive and some were reasonable priced... made no sense.
Also, I also had a photo with EVAC when I was romancing him and my wife was looking unimpressived. Unfortunately, most Singaporeans looked unimpressed while some tourists watched me and laughed. :P

EDIT: Also, a funny bit of trivia, where you found the Wendy's... used to BE a Burger King. -_-;

griffin
10th December 2012, 01:45 PM
A Burger King... that's weird. It was good that it was a Wendys then, as that was a better find for me.

We never went as far north as Velocity. We only went to the two TRU stores on Orchard, and the one at Suntec.

Bidoofdude
11th December 2012, 06:09 PM
Encores, masterpieces? WTF! Sounded cool, dispensor looked like he had a good time. btw, how much were the encore 21s?

griffin
11th December 2012, 10:05 PM
Can't remember... but wouldn't have been cheap. Some prices I did note to give you an idea of the markup.

JP MP-10 Optimus - SG$440 (about AU$367.... sold for $200-250 in Japan)
JP MP-12 Sideswipe - SG$116 (about AU$97... sold for about $70 in Japan)
JP Arms Micron Voyager - SG$80 (about AU$67... was about $50 in Japan/online)
JP Arms Micron Deluxe - SG$40 (about AU$33... was about $25 in Japan/online)
JP Alternity Banzaitron or Galvatron - SG$130 (about AU$108... should be able to find it for under $60) each
HK Sixshot - SG$330 (AU$275... should be able to find it for under $150)

US TF3 Action sets - SG$45 (AU$37.50... were $25-30 here)
US Deluxe - SG$35 (AU$29)
US Voyager - SG$58 (AU$48)

The encores were likely to be over $100 each, but Christalcase might remember though.

Megatron
11th December 2012, 10:10 PM
I quite enjoyed reading the Transformers part of your trip. I love all the pics, too. It makes it easy to imagine myself being there. :D

christalcase
11th December 2012, 11:06 PM
The encores were likely to be over $100 each, but Christalcase might remember though.

Nup, not interested G1 remember :eek::p, so I didn't pick it up to check the price (would have been horrendous anyway)

Bidoofdude
12th December 2012, 05:27 PM
Yeah, would've been quite the high price.

ChlorHex
13th December 2012, 12:17 AM
Thanks for sharing your experience in Singapore, Griffin.
I truly enjoyed that as I could see the many familiar places I've been too as well.
The toy pricing there has steadily increased over the years as the toy scene grew in size... to the point of being ridiculous, I must add (better to ship stuff directly from the US or HK).
FYI... you've got to negotiate with sellers when you shop at CSC and be prepared to walk away if the sellers are unwilling to drop their prices.
Bargains can be had on Sundays when CSC comes a little more alive with collectors setting up tables to sell their excess stuff.
Better pricing is only availlable to CSC regulars via the shops' pre-orders if you're hunting down newer stuff.
I hope you've had a look at the nearby OG departmental store in Chinatown as they often have clearance TF toys for a steal.
I'm really keen on bringing the family to the theme park next year after seeing your pics of all the attractions there... the kids will love it! (and I'm happy to see the place quite empty as I hate crowds) :)

griffin
13th December 2012, 01:08 PM
Well, aim for a Wednesday, outside of school holidays, and you shouldn't have a problem with crowds (at most themeparks actually).

There was something on at the CSC on the sunday (they were setting up tables on the Saturday), but we were leaving sunday afternoon and after two days there with nothing significant, we decided against going a third day.

ChlorHex
13th December 2012, 03:20 PM
Sounds like they're prepping for the usual Sunday "flea mart" where the tables are rented out by the shop owners. I don't think you've missed much... Didn't find much bargains when I was there last year... But then again, my focus was more on GI joes.