PDA

View Full Version : Toy Review - JP Masterpiece Alert (Red Alert)

griffin
20th December 2012, 03:27 AM
(Please post comments, photos or even a fully comprehensive review - these are just brief details to start you off)

Series - Masterpiece
Sub-line - none
Size/class - n/a
New/remould/redeco - minor remould of Lambor/Sideswipe
Wave - MP-14
Released here - not here (released in Japan December 2012)
Approximate Retail Price - 6000yen (about AU$75)
Approximate Size - 16cm
Allegiance - Autobot
Alt-mode - Fire-chief car
Main Features/Gimmicks - Licensed Lamborghini, head sparks.
Main Colours - White, red, black
Main Accessories - Gun, shoulder cannon, head sparks.

http://www.toycollectors.com.au/tftoys/jp2012a41.jpg

1orion2many
20th December 2012, 10:55 AM
I'd recommend Red over Swipe mainly due to the better paint apps, Other than that they are both excellent Toys (Besides the crappy plastic wheels:rolleyes:).

Robzy
20th December 2012, 11:58 AM
I love the new "wheels" on his shoulders sculpt. I only wish they could have done something on his back to swap the windscreen/rear spoiler... like it looked in the G1 cartoon... not a complaint, just a 'wish' :)

5FDP
20th December 2012, 01:47 PM
HA!... Just noticed that he has abs :eek: :cool: :p

Yeah, I'd get this over MP Sideswipe... if he were ever released locally. I just realised that I don't have a Red Alert toy in any series :o

M-bot
20th December 2012, 06:49 PM
Really happy with this one. As per Sideswipe, would've preferred rubber tyres, and while the paint apps were a bit better than SS's, they still weren't as good as I was hoping.

As for the remoulded shoulders - I thought they could've gone a little bit further since the 'fake' shoulder tyres are smaller than the visible tyres on the legs.

Overall though, I'm pretty happy with recent MP's and very much looking forward to more Autobot cars!

GoktimusPrime
20th December 2012, 08:41 PM
I'd get this toy if it were released locally. Still not convinced on getting a Japanese version. :o

Trent
20th December 2012, 09:39 PM
I'd get this toy if it were released locally. Still not convinced on getting a Japanese version. :o

Same. Or if it goes on sale.
(But then again ill probably cave and get it)

UltraMarginal
20th December 2012, 10:24 PM
I've ordered mine from anime-export, pretty cheep, and the postage from there was about $12 for sideswipe.

I'm still not convinced that Hasbro Australia will manage to get hold of the Laborghini license.

and I want it :D

Cat
21st December 2012, 05:47 AM
Just waiting for BBTS to process my Hasbro Asia Seekers set so I can ship mine.

Very excited. I got really lucky and got a terrific Sideswipe, let's see if I can make it two-for-two.

kurdt_the_goat
21st December 2012, 12:56 PM
Picked up mine today and it's basically immaculate! They've done a great job with getting the painted white to be a 'pure' white.

There's some some unpainted red plastic in robot mode (upper arms and thighs) that looks a bit plasticy by comparison, but overall i'm very happy!

Finally i can stop regretting my decision not to buy Henkei Alert all those years ago, this is the definitive version now!

Jim_jim
21st December 2012, 02:44 PM
I bought Sideswape, so, Red Alert is a must for me. I did not really play with it yet however. Might open it today or tomorrow.

Bidoofdude
21st December 2012, 04:24 PM
Just waiting for BBTS to process my Hasbro Asia Seekers set so I can ship mine.

Very excited. I got really lucky and got a terrific Sideswipe, let's see if I can make it two-for-two.

Are the seekers in yet?

Cat
21st December 2012, 07:27 PM
They should be in very shortly. Probably the next week, but could be delayed a tad due to the holidays.

I know some people already have the set.

Bidoofdude
21st December 2012, 08:35 PM
Apparently RK starts shipping today.

i_amtrunks
21st December 2012, 09:51 PM
Apparently RK starts shipping today.

My RK order shipped on the 13th.

As always, the tracking number does not work! :rolleyes:

i_amtrunks
21st December 2012, 10:27 PM
Your seeker order has shipped?!?! I NEED TO ORDER!

What are you on about? This is the MP Red Alert thread, why would we be talking about seekers? I am sure there is an appropriate thread for seeker anticipation.

Bidoofdude
21st December 2012, 10:34 PM
They should be in very shortly. Probably the next week, but could be delayed a tad due to the holidays.

I know some people already have the set.

This post.

GoktimusPrime
21st December 2012, 10:46 PM
I'm curious to know if they fixed the issue with the shoulders or not.

kurdt_the_goat
21st December 2012, 11:10 PM
I wouldn't call it an issue, just a design choice (it's not like they intended for it to lock and it doesn't - it was just never intended to lock for some reason).
The shoulders are the same on both toys regardless.

Tetsuwan Convoy
22nd December 2012, 01:25 AM
I wouldn't call it an issue, just a design choice (it's not like they intended for it to lock and it doesn't - it was just never intended to lock for some reason).
The shoulders are the same on both toys regardless.

I concur. I doubt the Masterpiece line was designed with vigorous play, or perhaps play at all intended.

M-bot
22nd December 2012, 07:59 AM
I'm curious to know if they fixed the issue with the shoulders or not.

Same shoulders on both my SS and RA. Mine aren't at all loose though, they seem to stay in place quite well.

gamblor916
22nd December 2012, 08:11 PM
I love this toy! The colours are a bright vibrant red and pure white. It just needed a bit of a polish and everything is gleaming. Much happier with Alert than Sideswipe in terms of finish. Joints are tight and secure, and the new headsculpt looks a lot better as it loses that squinty look of Sideswipe.
I also like the subtle mould changes like the faux wheels on the shoulders and the nubs on the chest piece as a nod to the G1 toy. Maybe a few more paint apps to bring out the detail but that's minor nitpicking.
9/10 well done Takara Tomy!

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/2198/img3218fg.jpg

GoktimusPrime
22nd December 2012, 09:57 PM
Same shoulders on both my SS and RA. Mine aren't at all loose though, they seem to stay in place quite well.
Even when you play with them? Cos that's the issue I've got with my Sideswipe -- the shoulders are fine if you just pose it or carefully fiddle with the toy, but once I start playing with it (e.g. making him fight etc.), then I find the shoulders are prone to popping out really, really easily. And I found the same issue on someone else's MP Sideswipe too, so it doesn't appear to be isolated only to my toy (unless it's a freak batch).

Tetsuwan Convoy
26th December 2012, 11:23 PM
Just cracked mine open today.

MMmmm, full of winaliscious!!

The colours look great! the red thighs and stuff are faabulous and the whit is so whitey, its loooovley!!

Even his headphones are cool!

:D

i_amtrunks
27th December 2012, 11:01 AM
No idea about the Sideswipe issues as I didn't purchase him, but my red Alert is wonderfully crafted and painted.

Kazza
27th December 2012, 11:35 AM
The paint is alot more smooth and consistent, the circuit trouble attachment, makes me think red-alert is wearing a spiky bra on his head lol:p

M-bot
29th December 2012, 08:54 AM
Even when you play with them? Cos that's the issue I've got with my Sideswipe -- the shoulders are fine if you just pose it or carefully fiddle with the toy, but once I start playing with it (e.g. making him fight etc.), then I find the shoulders are prone to popping out really, really easily. And I found the same issue on someone else's MP Sideswipe too, so it doesn't appear to be isolated only to my toy (unless it's a freak batch).

I'm not a particularly vigorous 'player', but yeah, the arms basically stay in place even when I gently shake the figure. My 'good' shoulders on Lambor and Red Alert nearly make up for the ordinary paint apps I got on both. Sill pretty great toys though!

M-bot
29th December 2012, 08:56 AM
The paint is alot more smooth and consistent, the circuit trouble attachment, makes me think red-alert is wearing a spiky bra on his head lol:p

Lol. "Hey, Red Alert! Madonna called: she wants her bra back!":D:p

i_amtrunks
2nd January 2013, 11:59 PM
I wonder at why Red Alert's speed is "3", maybe he is too paranoid to drive at his stated top speed of 297kph?

Had to go and grab him out of the display case while driving a Countach in Need for Speed Most Wanted!

Kapryiath
8th January 2013, 08:15 PM
anyone have issues with his "hand" gun not staying in his hands well/ at all

Kazza
8th January 2013, 08:53 PM
anyone have issues with his "hand" gun not staying in his hands well/ at all

Yup but only in his left hand, sometimes it falls out straight away when i peg it in, but lately it has been ok.

crankcase76
8th January 2013, 09:03 PM
Have acquired this little gem, and I am quite pleased with him. Do have the problem with the gun popping out of the hand but it is his right for mine not the left.:confused: but all over a great piece to go into the MP line. Even thou I didn't receive the coin with RA.:(

i_amtrunks
8th January 2013, 09:32 PM
Neither of the hands on my Red Alert hold the gun correctly if I try to fully close them over. If I leave the hands gently closed around the gun then the gun stays securely in place. Maybe try that?

Anyone know why we get a hasbro madecoin/medallion and not a takara one?

Kazza
8th January 2013, 09:44 PM
Neither of the hands on my Red Alert hold the gun correctly if I try to fully close them over. If I leave the hands gently closed around the gun then the gun stays securely in place. Maybe try that?

Yeah thats what my red-alert suffers from, if you close the hands and the gun will come off the pegs.

SharkyMcShark
9th January 2013, 03:57 AM
Masterpiece with fake faux vehicle parts?

Avoids.

Kapryiath
9th January 2013, 04:56 PM
didnt both versions of prime have 2 different front grill things? one for robot one for car? isnt that the same as having fake wheels on shoulders? :S

Lord_Zed
9th January 2013, 05:41 PM
I've had a play with mine, quite like him though I think Sideswipe is better. Alert has a little bit better QC on the paint, but his grip is a little loose.

I actually like the crazy light show attachment for his head. It attaches much better than I expected, and makes it look like his Spider Sen..... uh Red Alert Senses are tingling. .

didnt both versions of prime have 2 different front grill things? one for robot one for car? isnt that the same as having fake wheels on shoulders? :S

Yup Red Alert is following in Primes footsteps. Faking it is an MP tradition (at least for the Autobots), till someone invents morphing plastic.

Bidoofdude
10th January 2013, 08:10 PM
I will love that day when we get morphing plastic. :D

Cat
12th January 2013, 06:34 AM
Mine can't hold his gun.

There's a paint chip (which I'm noting because, well, people do. But it doesn't worry me)

The paint around the front of the windshield is horribad. Sloppy. Too sloppy for the cheapest class, let alone something on an MP level.

The shoulders. Man, they're weird. My 'Swipe's don't do this at all. They keep disliking from the joint very quickly, and without much force or flexion. Sure it's a minor, easy fix, and it's irrelevant for something that goes into cabinets. It's just so annoying against how beautiful it is with SS.

And I don't want to worry anyone, but I swear that when I ran my hand along the side of the doors, I got minute red flakes of paint on my fingers. Hmm.

Still a very nice MP. I'm just a bit disappointed. The mold looked more Red than Swipe, but SS is a clear victor. Everything is nice, tight and perfect on my SS, and the paint is immaculate and flawless. RA had the front windshield-to-dash painted by a trained bear on heroin.

Tetsuwan Convoy
15th January 2013, 03:08 PM
The shoulders. Man, they're weird. My 'Swipe's don't do this at all. They keep disliking from the joint very quickly, and without much force or flexion. Sure it's a minor, easy fix, and it's irrelevant for something that goes into cabinets. It's just so annoying against how beautiful it is with SS.

Curious, my RA hold is shoulder much more securely than SS. you must have received a mega dud.

GoktimusPrime
15th January 2013, 08:26 PM
I've seen three MP Lambors (including my own) and they all had that same problem of really easily disconnecting from the shoulders.

BigTransformerTrev
24th December 2013, 01:09 PM
Finally got my own MP Red Alert (while you are all playing with your Prowl & Smokescreens :p)

I quite like him, in fact I think I even like him a bit more than my Sideswipe (or maybe that is because I'm in love with the G2 SS mold;)) as he has more going on as a Fire Chiefs car than just a plain red Lamborghini. The little sparks for his ear/warning sensors is a nice touch, I always did like that episode :) Still not impressed with the size of these latest MP cars, but it's something I'm learning to live with

koolkollectibleskhai
26th December 2013, 11:54 AM
I initially passed on Red Alert at release, but got him a couple of months later at a slightly increased price. Definitely glad I decided to get him along with all the cars. The molds are just too good to pass up now. The MP line is doing great!

http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w552/chockey88/Transformers/IMG_1691_zpsf77be189.jpg (http://s1329.photobucket.com/user/chockey88/media/Transformers/IMG_1691_zpsf77be189.jpg.html)