PDA

View Full Version : Price matching toys

JuzMel
4th July 2008, 09:28 PM
7. This morning, I did some more price matching around reducing the price of my existing collecting and got these two from TRU for the combined price of $49.66 (Thanks Big W Catalog!)

http://lindalane.com/temporary/tf/2008068.jpg

Which TRU did you get this two voyagers from Jaydisc? I'm freaking pissed off, the ASS manager at TRU Chaddy wouldn't price match for me and he was so freakin rude too! :mad: I reckon he's just racist as well. TRU Chaddy is on my HATE list now.. hmmmpphh.. so not happy.

jaydisc
4th July 2008, 09:30 PM
Northland, but I cleared them out. LCZ and STL managed to do it somewhere else today too. You want a pic of my receipt to take back and show the jerk?

TF76
4th July 2008, 09:48 PM
Originally Posted by Juz_Mel
I'm freaking pissed off, the ASS manager at TRU Chaddy wouldn't price match for me and he was so freakin rude too! I reckon he's just racist as well. TRU Chaddy is on my HATE list now.. hmmmpphh.. so not happy.

Sorry your having bad luck like me.

My Kmart wouldn't even price match leader brawl today. Even though the closest Big W had about 20 in stock yesterday. I'll try at another Kmart tomorrow and might get a few deluxes.

I tried twice and they were pretty rude, we snatched our catalogue back and walked off on the register manager the fist time, she was being such a douche bag, I’ve been mugged by friendlier people, well their attitude was better towards me.

Were not rude, especially my girl friend, she ends up almost being friends with most people we deal with and everyone remembers us usually for the right reasons..

So basically don’t try to price match at Airport West Kmart.

I will also like to price match and refund my Animated Voyagers but that would just be a bonus.

Pulse
4th July 2008, 10:22 PM
From past experience, the store I've found that pulls every trick out of the book when it comes to refusing to price match would have to be (by far) DJ's :mad:.

When they had those Titaniums for $50, They used excuses like "TRU isn't in the same shopping centre as us, They're not the exact same figures, Blah Blah Blah... "

Yeah, that's a great attitude to encourage customers to buy from you in the future... :rolleyes:

JuzMel
4th July 2008, 10:35 PM
Northland, but I cleared them out. LCZ and STL managed to do it somewhere else today too. You want a pic of my receipt to take back and show the jerk?
No point jaydisc, I TOLD the jerk that my friend bought it from TRU and that I can bring the receipt. He said, "Well your friend's lucky he got a good deal then, but there's no way we'll price match when Big W doesn't have the stock". What an ass! :mad:

Anyway if anyone sees extra voyager mudflap and inferno and can get a price match, pls get me a set, I can pay cash immediatly. Ta.

Gutsman Heavy
4th July 2008, 10:47 PM
I hope I don't have any issues when my TRU gets Inferno instock...

Krayt
4th July 2008, 10:50 PM
No point jaydisc, I TOLD the jerk that my friend bought it from TRU and that I can bring the receipt. He said, "Well your friend's lucky he got a good deal then, but there's no way we'll price match when Big W doesn't have the stock". What an ass! :mad:

how is it you can complain about them not matching, when it's a TRU exclusive and therefore NO WAY IN HELL Bigw will have it, so you CAN'T pricematch

price matching is for exact same item, actually in stock.

That's like me complaining Big W won't give me my staff discount from Colesgroup

jaydisc
4th July 2008, 11:29 PM
My Kmart wouldn't even price match leader brawl today. Even though the closest Big W had about 20 in stock yesterday.

He said, "Well your friend's lucky he got a good deal then, but there's no way we'll price match when Big W doesn't have the stock". What an ass! :mad:

This idea that the other store has to have the other item in stock is seemingly just the newest slimy excuse for these stores to get out of it. Lowest guarantees were initially just that, with the simply criteria being a lower price. Next, they added the requirement that the competitor's offer had to be advertised, and now, they argue that it has to be in stock, which is the epitome of ridiculous. If the other place has it stock, why TF wouldn't I just buy it there?

My memory isn't perfect, but the night of the sale at Campbellfield, I remember a big, fat, Kmart banner entitled "Lowest Price Guarantee" which said if a competitor has advertised a lower price, they'll beat it by 10% of the difference. Keyword: Advertised

Some Kmart lady pulled that crap on me when I tried to match BA and Ratchet. She said they had to have it in stock. I said call. She then said she'd only match Ratchet because that's all Big W had in stock. I said fine and swapped the BA for a second Ratchet and then I beamed over her as she was unable to mark up the original price in order to make the 20% off not be considerably less than Big W, and in the end she HAD NO CHOICE but to put it in the computer as 20% off their existing 20% off. Now that's karma.

Regardless of all of that, that still doesn't explain why TF76 failed. What excuse did they pull if the other store had stock?

Krayt
4th July 2008, 11:34 PM
[QUOTE=jaydisc;30506][RANT]
If the other place has it stock, why TF wouldn't I just buy it there?

QUOTE]

My work has always had a "we'll beat by x%" used to be 1, now is 5.... and most times you could get employee discount as well.

But also, many customers are still loyal to certain stores.... so prefer there dollars to go to who they like

STL
4th July 2008, 11:39 PM

What an absolute a$$! lcz128 and myself today went and we price-matched two sets in the 1 transaction, No hassles, worries at all. Hell, the chick was so nice and friendly and helpful.

And this was the thick and thin of the conversation:

"Hey there, we'd like to price-match these two voyager class figures which are at $24.88 at BigW. *Show BigW catalogue at right page and then turn pages* Ah, and here's the number if u want to give them a call to see if they have it in stock. We're pretty sure they do since it's a big sale but it's cool if u guys wanna check first"

She didn't even call her manager, just smiled and processed them.

Lcz128 also happens to be one of the most kindest lookin' blokes and he helped her with packing the stuff away into his carry bags. Just all those little things went a long way to making it not even a difficult transaction. I remember at Knox last year where I pricematched a few G1 Jazz that that was somewhat harder but what u guys went thru at chaddy is ridiculous!

(oh and annoyed but glad b/c lcz128 and myself thought that Iceburn said there were no more Mudflap/Inferno's left at TRU Chaddy so we made the effort to go all the way out to Knox. We were contemplating going to highpoint and trying the impossible if all else failed.

And it gets me riled up that I just wanna go and price-match some more. There's a certain sense of victory about it.

STL
4th July 2008, 11:43 PM
But also, many customers are still loyal to certain stores.... so prefer there dollars to go to who they like

I'm kinda like that. Short of being absolutely desperate I never contemplate buying at TRU. Like with the Animated Deluxes which were $25 at TRU, I decided to buy at Toy Kingdom at full price instead even though the returns policy at Toy Kingdom are tougher.

I think my weakness though would buckle had it been Classics Sunstreaker or Sideswipe.

Pulse
4th July 2008, 11:46 PM
I've gotta agree with STL when it comes to acting like a friendly person when asking them to match prices.

Putting yourself in the checkout chick's shoes, How would you feel if some arrogant d#ckhead marched up to your counter & basically demanded that you price match a toy with another store?

If I was that checkout chick, I'd wanna take that toy & shove it where the sun don't shine... :D

STL
4th July 2008, 11:51 PM
If I was that checkout chick, I'd wanna take that toy & shove it where the sun don't shine... :D

Plus, if you're nice, she might instead give you the chance to shove something else where the sun don't shine. :D

jaydisc
4th July 2008, 11:52 PM
Plus, if you're nice, she might instead give you the chance to shove something else where the sun don't shine. :D

Oh SNAP!

Pulse
4th July 2008, 11:53 PM

http://lindalane.com/temporary/tf/facepalm.jpg

:D

jaydisc
4th July 2008, 11:54 PM
Oi! That's my bandwidth! :mad:

Pulse
4th July 2008, 11:57 PM
:(

Hey, I don't have a website so as if I care? :p

jaydisc
5th July 2008, 12:00 AM
Problem solved. Refresh ;)

STL
5th July 2008, 12:02 AM
Problem solved. Refresh ;)

:D :D :D

Robzy
5th July 2008, 12:08 AM
And this was the thick and thin of the conversation:

"Hey there, we'd like to price-match these two voyager class figures which are at $24.88 at BigW. *Show BigW catalogue at right page and then turn pages* Ah, and here's the number if u want to give them a call to see if they have it in stock. We're pretty sure they do since it's a big sale but it's cool if u guys wanna check first"

She didn't even call her manager, just smiled and processed them.Did she (or for that matter, anyone else) mention that the Big W Catalogue says that it's "Movie Voyagers" for $24.83? Or has no one noticed that part when you go up with an Animated figure?

jaydisc
5th July 2008, 12:09 AM
Did she (or for that matter, anyone else) mention that the Big W Catalogue says that it's "Movie Voyagers" for $24.83? Or has no one noticed that part when you go up with an Animated figure?

In this case, we're talking about Inferno and Mudflap, which are Movie Voyagers. In most of our previous cases, yes, we were full of @#$% and knew it :)

Robzy
5th July 2008, 12:13 AM
In this case, we're talking about Inferno and Mudflap, which are Movie Voyagers. In most of our previous cases, yes, we were full of @#$% and knew it :)Oh, yeah, sorry... I meant when you guys picked up Animated Voyagers only. I'm so tempted to try it with Bulkhead (seeing as how some of you have strongly recommended getting him) but I wanted to see if you guys had problems. I guess I could just play dumb and say I didn't realise there was a difference between the two lines maybe...

jaydisc
5th July 2008, 12:17 AM
Surprisingly, in all of my Animated-Price-Matching-Travels since July 3rd, that hasn't been cause for rejection yet. Anyone else get called out on that?

STL
5th July 2008, 12:20 AM
Oh, yeah, sorry... I meant when you guys picked up Animated Voyagers only. I'm so tempted to try it with Bulkhead (seeing as how some of you have strongly recommended getting him) but I wanted to see if you guys had problems. I guess I could just play dumb and say I didn't realise there was a difference between the two lines maybe...

Get the gf to do it... it works well with a groucho and u just standing there as the nice boyfriend who doesn't give a crap. Pretend to get involved out of concern only about how long its taking, creates a bit of "nice" pressure rather than coming across as being overbearing.

This is what I'm actually planning of trying tonight when I went back to Campbellfield looking for the Voyagers for Paulbot and Sifun. However, they were out of them but stuff was all over the place so they could've been misplaced too :mad: ... anyway... since i have a docket at that price, I was going to bring that in w/out a catagloue and then ask them to call a BigW if they wanted to check if Voyagers were in fact $24.83.

Of course, BigW would reply "yes" our Transformer Voyagers are on sale if that happened but I imagine with the base receipt that makes it much easier and u don't have to worry about the catalogue getting in the way.

I do agree though that it's tough ask to pull off. I didn't think i could and I'm generally pretty confident. But kudos to Golden Phoenix who gave it a shot anyway.

(tho b/c of that i've spent $200 more than I otherwise would've!)

jaydisc
5th July 2008, 12:24 AM
The tricky bit is not flinching when the computer tries to take an additional 20% off AFTER they price match. That's the point you quickly hand them your card and say, "That's on credit please," with a smile. They do a double take on the figure shown on the cash register and look a bit like a deer-in-the-headlights, so you gotta keep the momentum rolling. It's great if there's a queue behind you or a partner rushing you cause that's when the real savings start rolling in. ;)

kurdt_the_goat
5th July 2008, 12:25 AM
Here's my story again.. i reckon you have more chance doing it like this rather than trying the *actual* scam of telling them what you're price matching to!

When i went up to the service desk, i didn't even have the Big W brochure, just a printout of borgeman's receipt. I mentioned it was showing a pricematch to Big W, and that i'd like to get the same price. (Please!)

The chick called Big W, they coudln't find it.. and then asked me if it was in the catalog, to which i said 'im not sure'. Even though the BigW person on the other end of the line was hunting all around the store trying to find these Animated Voyagers that didn't exist, at no point did either of them realise it was price matched to Movie Voyagers.

Eventually when the Kmart chick came back and said BigW only had 2 pack, i just politely said 'well, it's the same item, same code, and obviously from a kmart.. .. what can you do?' She called the manager and without hesitation he just said match it! 50/50 chance i reckon. Just sound sad that you're gonna miss out :)

Robzy
5th July 2008, 12:25 AM
Thanks Jay, STL and Kurdt! :) I'll probably give it a crack tomorrow!

iceburn
5th July 2008, 12:28 AM
Surprisingly, in all of my Animated-Price-Matching-Travels since July 3rd, that hasn't been cause for rejection yet. Anyone else get called out on that?

Chadstone staff at first refused to price-match, the supervisor later said just to give it the price with BigW (without the additional 10% discount) hence i paid for 2 Voyagers at $19.89 ($20)

(oh and annoyed but glad b/c lcz128 and myself thought that Iceburn said there were no more Mudflap/Inferno's left at TRU Chaddy so we made the effort to go all the way out to Knox. We were contemplating going to highpoint and trying the impossible if all else failed.

And it gets me riled up that I just wanna go and price-match some more. There's a certain sense of victory about it.

There was indeed none left on Thursday when i went back after heading down Kmart. I told you I had left and head off to Kmart to look for Animated Voyagers first. Went back and the other pair was no longer there.

So did both of you get it or not...you know i will try and get it.
I'm sorry i heard you wrongly the other day while i was still driving else I would have bought both pairs

Kyle
5th July 2008, 08:36 AM

*Slowly put hand up* :(

:o

STL
5th July 2008, 09:02 AM
Chadstone staff at first refused to price-match, the supervisor later said just to give it the price with BigW (without the additional 10% discount) hence i paid for 2 Voyagers at $19.89 ($20)

There was indeed none left on Thursday when i went back after heading down Kmart. I told you I had left and head off to Kmart to look for Animated Voyagers first. Went back and the other pair was no longer there.

So did both of you get it or not...you know i will try and get it.
I'm sorry i heard you wrongly the other day while i was still driving else I would have bought both pairs

No worries, man. Nah man, me and lcz128 did grab a set each. We were so jealous of you and Jaydisc who were able to price match and headed out to Knox to do our price-matching. We easily price-matched out there and there was 1 more set when we left yesterday with a few more stacked higher up.

Like I mentioned here we had a very easy run: :D
http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showpost.php?p=30511&postcount=101

A bit further but there were a lot of things we got out of the day - more than we should've but 'twas a fun road trip.

jaydisc
5th July 2008, 09:15 PM
Looks like we made the press (http://www.theyareamongus.com/cgi-bin/forums/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=3;t=1150)

iceburn
5th July 2008, 09:20 PM
I'm talking about the mongrels who, in my opinion, are giving us a bad name. I've recently re-joined a board, and am appalled at the stories coming out of the July Sales adventures.

What they are doing is taking everything from honest mistakes to full on scams and then ATTACKING retailers to gain pricematching discounts

well, these people mongrels ??? who are commenting on us are one bunch of jealous souls. we didn't ask for a price-match to BigW's movie figures against Kmart's Animated figures. it was by accidental that the supervisor made a price-match themselves.

that's all i can say.... *peace*

I also love edit buttons

[edit] just being civilised. Sorry everyone, i'm a n00b!!!!!
someone please kick me please..........................

jaydisc
5th July 2008, 09:37 PM
They're quoting me. I'd love the opportunity to respond and defend myself in a fair, calm and intelligible manner.

Robzy
5th July 2008, 09:38 PM
Hmmm... I wonder why this person didn't voice their objections here, rather than running off to another board... :rolleyes:

jaydisc
5th July 2008, 09:43 PM
Yeah, as I said, I'd love to discuss it. I'd love to hear the specifics of the situation that offend them. I'd love to try to respond.

Robzy
5th July 2008, 09:50 PM
I haven't done any of this "price-matching" at all... but I can tell you, I'm steamed!!! :mad:

Here are some of the members' comments...

We have "very weak moral character"

We are "low lifes" (sp)

We are "mongrels" and that we've made him/her "ashamed to be a Transformers collector"

As I said, I haven't done anything, but this is RIDICULOUS!!! These are very strong and harsh words they're using to describe this community!!! I'm not impressed at all!:mad:

Krayt
5th July 2008, 09:51 PM
Did you read the bits quoted???

"We refunded our items and began grabbing more Animated toys...."

"Props to ****** for price matching Kmart's Animated figs with Big W's MOVIE price."

and the non-quoted....

"Now, one got refused today.... on the TRU exclusives... and he is full on abusing the manager who IS COMPLETELY RIGHT

Also they are matching one stores movie voyager to anothers animated voyager.... once again, different stock."

sounds kinda specific to me

jaydisc
5th July 2008, 10:04 PM
"Props to ****** for price matching Kmart's Animated figs with Big W's MOVIE price."

Look, getting Animated matched against Big W's Movie prices was a fluke, and I think we all saw it as that, as blind luck, and we took advantage of it. We also came here and shared our story only to offer our friends here the same deal we got. I don't think anyone got abusive or surly at a store that didn't do that price match.

"We refunded our items and began grabbing more Animated toys...."

This wasn't my quote, but this was the same night, same visit, after we realise the opportunity we had, so people took advantage of it. In response to some of the TAAU comments about us clearing the shelves and stopping "KIDS" from buying toys, that's ridiculous. We didn't even make a dent.

"Now, one got refused today.... on the TRU exclusives... and he is full on abusing the manager who IS COMPLETELY RIGHT"

I don't think anyone abused this manager, but Mel felt that there was a possibility of racism in this manager's approach. Now, Mel could be being defensive, but could also be right. Now, most of the people that jumped up and abused the store manager HERE (not in person) were doing so in defense of gentle Mel.

Now, as far as the TRU manager being right, this is ridiculous and in my opinion, years of retail brainwashing that many of you customers just seemingly accept, just like the communist Russia style searches that you also accept (only cops search me!).

Let me tell you something about price matching. Having the item in stock is a recent, Australian created, fabricated load of slimy crap. I come from the land of Kmart and I come from the land of price matching (I can only assume that that will also be held against me) and price matching is about Kmart needing to back up their marketing messages and promises with facts. ADVERTISED price is the criteria. In-stock is ridiculous. So, any arguments I had with a manager were regarding that fabrication and I stand by that assertion.

Now, let's talk about TRU exclusives (or any exclusive for that matter). So, TRU negotiates a deal with Hasbro so that only they can carry a figure and only they can set the price. That's anti-competitive behavior. That's monopoly abuse. Granted we're only talking about the monopoly on one product and at a much smaller scale, but that's the gist. Now, I'm not depriving TRU from profit. They still make money after a Big W price match, but unfortunately, their C-level staff might only be able to get the 3.5L BMW X5 instead of the 4.2. Woe is me.

I just can't believe I have to defend the big old nasty price matcher against the poor, innocent, multi-national conglomerate called TRU.

I would invite anyone quoting me or taking exception with me to intelligently discuss it, and permit me the right of response.

jaydisc
5th July 2008, 10:10 PM
Everybody, let me quickly just put on some brakes here. We don't want to start a flame war. Let's all be civil and discuss logically and calmly.

Robzy
5th July 2008, 10:14 PM
I do agree with you Jay.

jaydisc
5th July 2008, 10:23 PM
I'll just add something else. I think any observers are going to lose a lot of context that we here have. Us Melbournites are a close-knit bunch and we fell into something awesome and were like gleeful kids. We were so excited, and rode the wave of excitement. Regulars here know the personalities of those involved and we're not malicious at all. I've spent 5.5 grand on TFs since September when I returned to collecting. If I save $20-30 per Voyager for about 5-6 voyagers, I think I'm justified. I think it balances. I think what comes around, goes around. As our benevolent colleague 1Orion2Many would say, "it's karma" :)

Krayt
5th July 2008, 10:29 PM
If I save $20-30 per Voyager for about 5-6 voyagers, I think I'm justified. I think it balances. I think what comes around, goes around. As our benevolent colleague 1Orion2Many would say, "it's karma" :)

So that's why Fort Max costs so much!!! Karma for all the savings we score!!!

jaydisc
5th July 2008, 10:31 PM
So that's why Fort Max costs so much!!! Karma for all the savings we score!!!

I found my Fort Max in an op shop in Nambour, QLD while on holiday for $40 :D

Krayt
5th July 2008, 10:33 PM
Was it complete in box??? coz that cost me more than that, but made up for many discounts/savings/sales/cheaponebays

jaydisc
5th July 2008, 10:37 PM
Body only, but pretty good condition. Only the chest has a tiny bit of yellowing, and most of the attached pieces are present (leg/arm guns, clear green door, etc).

Buying Games of Deception this year earned me some good discounts ;)

iceburn
5th July 2008, 10:41 PM
and Dirtydigger's BOX head...

jaydisc
5th July 2008, 10:49 PM
This was never meant to be a flame war.... hell, not even i discussion. As the title say... "I need to vent"

Now, if you notice.... not once did i mention the board, or any member names. And in quotes i replaced names with ****

so.... in respone (polite response that is) to one persons comments, I vented, in my normal habitat, without accusing anyone. And kept it as private as i could, like i have done now... not naming anyone for any reason.

but if there is a problem with putting it in one board and not the other.... how did people find it to start complaining about it?

You didn't mention the board, and you didn't mention names, but you directly quoted me. Here comes my American heritage again, but that's taxation without representation. :D If you're going to quote me, and complain about my behavior, it's a bit disingenuous to simply hide behind the claim you didn't use my name.

There are obviously a few mutual board members, and a few notified me to your topic, so I transparently made my friends here aware that they were being discussed elsewhere. You also identified yourself as a mutual board member. I can only hope and request that in the future, that you put forth your objection or displeasure to a local issue here locally, so that we can comment, explain, retort, justify, discuss, etc. Isn't that what these boards are for in the first place?

If instead you truly do want to maintain your anonymity and lack of accountability, I would recommend that you paraphrase instead of directly quote, and then any parallels inferred would simply be that... inferred.

Best of luck with your own price matching ventures.

Sincerely,

Jay

JuzMel
5th July 2008, 10:59 PM
how is it you can complain about them not matching, when it's a TRU exclusive and therefore NO WAY IN HELL Bigw will have it, so you CAN'T pricematch

That's like me complaining Big W won't give me my staff discount from Colesgroup

I DIDN"T know they were TRU exclusives. PLUS I only went and ask for a price match because folks here told me they got theirs price match. So I thought it's only something fair that it's done for all customers who ask and not just those who happen to ask the RIGHT people at the RIGHT time.

"Now, one got refused today.... on the TRU exclusives... and he is full on abusing the manager who IS COMPLETELY RIGHT"

Jaydisc is right that the manager answered me very rudely, that's why i was offended. I asked very nicely if I could POSSIBLY get a price match at the voyagers. The cashier then asked her manager who practically raised his voice at me when I tried to explain my friend came earlier to buy it. (Until the other staff also turned to look). As for the racist part, I might have been alittle too sensitive, but it was definitely the manager's tone and rudeness that pissed me off.

As for the abuse on the other forum, I believe everyone has the right to have their owns views, but NOT the right to abuse people with hurtful words.

Also, come on, the big retail stores make millions a year, it's no big loss to them giving us some discount and letting us less well-to-do souls get a bargain or something during a toy sale.

And P.S: I'm a lady (Mr/Ms falefel), so PLEASE don't refer me as a he. :rolleyes: My username is JuzMel, duhhhh....

And yes, US Melbournians are definitely a close-knit bunch, hooray to that! :)

Krayt
5th July 2008, 11:18 PM
Now 2 posts to reply too... so figure out your own quotes....

"You also identified yourself as a mutual board member. I can only hope and request that in the future, that you put forth your objection or displeasure to a local issue here locally, so that we can comment, explain, retort, justify, discuss, etc"

Um... i kinda did..... post #7.... Half an hour before MY "vent"

"I DIDN"T know they were TRU exclusives."

as the saying goes, "Ignorance is no excuse"... didn't help me when i went too fast in a school zone because the cars clock was still on daylight savings time and i thought i was in the clear.... but if you didn't know, then you didn't know... that can be forgiven

I took offense to your calling him an ass, adding the store to a hate list, a jerk again later, plus a second ass.... (is he a donkey farm? or many-legged???) I didn't say anything about possible racist comments or opinions... just the linking of terms to a person. I may not be a a manager... but i'm the one who answers 80% of our price match/"i'm buy lots please give a discount"/"trying to return after the 7 days return period is up" queries.... i deal with this all the time, 6 days a week...

As for linking things to people.... it's a bit hard to think of all of us as Transgender/hermaphrodite/crossdressing/what are we's if a persons sex is not known.... you make Aussie TF Board poster #2 that i know of as female, if i cut out i think 2 wives who posted once and then never again. So please accept my apology for the mistaken gender attributes...

Do i dare mention that both of you put my other name wrong??

Kyle
5th July 2008, 11:25 PM
Looks like we made the press (http://www.theyareamongus.com/cgi-bin/forums/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=3;t=1150)

This was never meant to be a flame war.... hell, not even i discussion. As the title say... "I need to vent"

Now, if you notice.... not once did i mention the board, or any member names. And in quotes i replaced names with ****

so.... in respone (polite response that is) to one persons comments, I vented, in my normal habitat, without accusing anyone. And kept it as private as i could, like i have done now... not naming anyone for any reason.

but if there is a problem with putting it in one board and not the other.... how did people find it to start complaining about it?

I don't believe there's any fundamental difference between some of us and Felafel in "taking advantages". While we took advantage of the Kmart manager's decision, Felafel also (thought he could) take advantage by not directly mentioning the board or any member names and replaced names with ****.

so they print a pic of his receipt and force another store to match it.

Reading this, I thought some of you were carrying guns. :p:D

And kept it as private as i could, like i have done now...

Hahaha. :D I believe you could have done a MUCH better job, like not shit stirring ANYWHERE at all.

Shit stirring is still shit stirring, even if you attempt to convince those you offended that you did not mean for them to know. :o

jaydisc
5th July 2008, 11:29 PM

I thought it was you :) Post #7 was sort of obvious, but I didn't want to make any inferences :)

Quote me! :mad: Why I oughtta... :D

And in hindsight, to be fair, you did locally take exception (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showpost.php?p=30495&postcount=7) with the price matching, so cheers for that!

Of course, I disagree with the whole must-be-the-same-exact-item-and-in-stock assertion, so we'll probably just have to disagree there.

And also, again with an American reference, but I come from the land of corporate greed, where these [specific] companies have always taken advantage of people, so I lack any empathy.

Gutsman Heavy
5th July 2008, 11:41 PM
bah, they are jealous! I didn't get any cheap voyagers (but I'll try for Inferno :)) and I have no issues, grats to all that made off well!

plus their boards are confusing, so many damn sub forums! I'm glad I stopped posting there.

JuzMel
5th July 2008, 11:45 PM
"I DIDN"T know they were TRU exclusives."

as the saying goes, "Ignorance is no excuse"... didn't help me when i went too fast in a school zone because the cars clock was still on daylight savings time and i thought i was in the clear.... but if you didn't know, then you didn't know... that can be forgiven

I took offense to your calling him an ass, adding the store to a hate list, a jerk again later, plus a second ass.... (is he a donkey farm? or many-legged???) I didn't say anything about possible racist comments or opinions... just the linking of terms to a person. I may not be a a manager... but i'm the one who answers 80% of our price match/"i'm buy lots please give a discount"/"trying to return after the 7 days return period is up" queries.... i deal with this all the time, 6 days a week...

As for linking things to people.... it's a bit hard to think of all of us as Transgender/hermaphrodite/crossdressing/what are we's if a persons sex is not known.... you make Aussie TF Board poster #2 that i know of as female, if i cut out i think 2 wives who posted once and then never again. So please accept my apology for the mistaken gender attributes...

Do i dare mention that both of you put my other name wrong??

It's good that you are admit that Felafel = Krayt = You. It's probably understandable why you're unhappy with us cause you're one of those working on the retail side. But still, like what kyle said, shit stirring is still shit stirring, if you were unhappy with anything we have done, you could have just voiced you thoughts gently here. ;)

And you're probably new to the board that's why you're not used to my complaining and bitching about stuff. It's just me and I don't mean any harm. The other guys sort of gotten used to it and they also usually give in cause I'ma lady and most probably the only most active female TF fan in OZ. :cool:

Krayt
5th July 2008, 11:45 PM
Hmmm... smily faces in the post.... does that mean i can stop looking over my shoulder as i walk down the street?

"locally take exception".... um.... in english?

like i said... "same item blah blah blah".... the other day i had a guy trying to compare quality and pricing of our stock with Ikea, where he was off to next seeming he was just arrived from sydney. In this instance, no cataloge, now "these are the same thing"... just asking "is this like the one at ikea?"

the answer is N.O... NO... Nein...

(footnote... it was just a cover anyway... he was the distraction for his theif partner... made off with $400 worth of stock at least)

But it was a vent.... and I'm known there.... i post there.... i used to post here more than there, but the board moved and i lost you and i work too much to support 2 kids... i mean wives... i mean boards....

if i posted here, then it's just some newbie guys 5th post he doesn't know what he's talking about.... reminds me in a comic shop a while ago.... someone harping on about something TF related, i was looking at something and the staff asked me to clarify.... the guy had no idea i owned the very figures he was saying didn't exist and had never been prototyped or whatever it was...

If i was shitstiring.... I would have gone "Look at what Krayt at Ozformers said... what a loser... man i hate him he is an idiot"... instead i left everything blank, didn't say where it was, and just said how i was feeling at 11:20pm after lack of sleep for 4 days due to a medical problem....

Robzy
5th July 2008, 11:47 PM

I thought it was you :)

Hehe... I guess They really are among us! :D:D

Krayt
5th July 2008, 11:50 PM
Hehe... I guess They really are among us! :D:D

And always have been.... by my count i was a member of ozformers at least 9 years ago... maybe more....

Golden Phoenix
5th July 2008, 11:57 PM
When it came to the other night when we the Animated voyagers cheap, that was just a "might as well give it a shot" and it worked. Had the cashier/supervisor said no I would have accepted that and moved on.
Let's face it, we knew it was against their policy and we were pushing out luck. As such we shouldn't act out if some one calls us on it. As much as I hate the proverb but, you really can't throw stones if you live in a glass house.
Also, it is not like we knew about the 20% off. That was only after we did some calculating and checking over my receipt, that wasn't something we were pushing for, it was a bonus.

When it comes to price matching I think they should do it if it is from the same line and the same size. Regardless of the figure or how exclusive it it, if it is a voyager and it is cheaper, then they should price match any voyager they have as long as the other store has it.
I don't think it would be fair if they had to price match a deluxe if they are the only place with them in stock.

Also, come on, the big retail stores make millions a year, it's no big loss to them giving us some discount and letting us less well-to-do souls get a bargain or something during a toy sale.
Although I agree, I think if everyone did it then it would put a dent in their sales, and I think that is logic behind it that is being used to judge the action.
However, that is if everyone does it, which won't happen.

She was venting. Much like another vent I've read recently :rolleyes:
But, if the manager in mention did act like JuzMel has described, then she is simply describing him based on (what I assume is) her only interaction with him. And if he is a manager, then he should know better to blast a customer for something like this, as you should know too.
Now JuzMel was probably being harsh, but she's a human (at least I think so) and it is a very human thing to do when one is pissed off. And I think we all knew that and just took it with a grain of salt, same with the "going on hate list" comment. I'm sure she will go back.

iceburn
6th July 2008, 12:02 AM
If i was shitstiring.... I would have gone "Look at what Krayt at Ozformers said... what a loser... man i hate him he is an idiot"... instead i left everything blank, didn't say where it was, and just said how i was feeling at 11:20pm after lack of sleep for 4 days due to a medical problem....

Not meaning to pick you but leaving blank and calling us mongrels isn't nice in the first and then double quoting me in that forum for my edits for calling you mongrels in return.

well, since its all solved. i hope everything's cleared up.
if you're unhappy with anything that we had done..just PM us....

jaydisc
6th July 2008, 12:05 AM
I can only hope and request that in the future, that you put forth your objection or displeasure to a local issue here locally, so that we can comment, explain, retort, justify, discuss, etc.

And in hindsight, to be fair, you did locally take exception (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showpost.php?p=30495&postcount=7) with the price matching, so cheers for that!

While we were still just Falafel, I complained that you should have locally raised the issue (aka taken exception). In hindsight, you did.

And I totally understand why you posted there and not here.

Also, I can only assume that your job affects your perception of this situation. What is your job? That would have been a welcomed disclaimer.

Personally, as I've mentioned before, and will reinforce again, I have no empathy for Coles Myer or any of their corporate brethren. If they, or any of their kind, want bragging rights for the Lowest Price, Guaranteed, they can put their money where their mouth is... literally.

Golden Phoenix: Beautifully put!

Krayt
6th July 2008, 12:07 AM
If they, or any of their kind, want bragging rights for the Lowest Price, Guaranteed, they can put their money where their mouth is... literally.

tell me how you think we should do this, and i'll tell you what's happening instore right now....

dirge
6th July 2008, 12:12 AM
by my count i was a member of ozformers at least 9 years ago... maybe more....

About that. I remember you from waaay back in the day. From memory, you were invited to (but had to skip) what was pretty much the first ever Melbourne meet (organised by myself & Gok), which was back in 2003.

Krayt
6th July 2008, 12:15 AM
First ever organised by a Gok, You or Griffin....

There were meets when i first came to uni in 2001

jaydisc
6th July 2008, 12:23 AM
tell me how you think we should do this, and i'll tell you what's happening instore right now....

If another store is currently advertising the item at a lower price, match it. You can even keep your silly little extra 10% [of the difference]. The whole must-be-in-stock game is silly. Here's a few reasons why:

1. Which store do you call? Does it have to be in stock at the one you randomly choose?

2. How many stores do you call? Does it have to be in stock at the first one you call?

3. How qualified are you in asking the store if they have a specific item?

4. How qualified is the person that answers in identifying whether they do? Do you actually use computers? What if someone moved the stock?

5. Can we trust their answer?

6. Do they know you're a competitor?

7. Do they really want you to price match?

I could probably come up with plenty more holes in the concept.

Krayt
6th July 2008, 12:33 AM
The whole must-be-in-stock game is silly. Here's a few reasons why:

1. Which store do you call? Does it have to be in stock at the one you randomly choose?

You walk in with catalouge, we match no Q asked... you say it's online in a store (not ebay), we check on the computer and all is fine and dandy

2. How many stores do you call? Does it have to be in stock at the first one you call?

Never had to call a second store.... and most websites (such as DSE and JBhifi) say if it's instock then and there

3. How qualified are you in asking the store if they have a specific item?

Qualified?? "Hello, i was wondering if you have this.... you do? how much is it? Thankyou"

4. How qualified is the person that answers in identifying whether they do? Do you actually use computers? What if someone moved the stock?

Most people have the printed ad, or the person at the other end actually checks while you talk to them.

5. Can we trust their answer?

we do...

6. Do they know you're a competitor?

depends what i feel like saying....

7. Do they really want you to price match?

Do my bosses??... HELL YES!!! all the way to the CEO!

Every Price match, and now beat, has a comment inserted in the receipt who they are matching. ANd the mark down goes in as "Match competitor" as well, and comes up on a report.

We get daily emails saying "price is now this at (insert storename here) and we have to start selling it at that price, with a manual adjustment. At midnight-ish, the computers update and then the registers have the new price. (stock levels at each store update then also)

They are about to role out a new POS system, which will update Prices and store stock levels automatically, australia wide every 15 minutes...

We are also now NEVER having "sales".... and no more "your buying 200, here's 5% off" the price is the LOWEST.... if not, we will make it the lowest!!! never again will my stores cataloge have "was $69, now $59 save $10".... cost is always going to be 59, unless you find it cheaper somewhere

jaydisc
6th July 2008, 12:47 AM
Based on your answer, I'm not sure I understood your question. Again, some context would be helpful. What store are you talking about? Kmart?

If all Kmart's responded as you say, there'd be no complaints or issues from me. But what you're dictating is not the reality (again, are we talking about Kmart?)

Point 3. "Do you have Transformer Ratchet?" Uhhh, Animated/Movie/Voyager/Deluxe/Legend?

Point 4. I mean the person at the other end of the phone. Kmart asks: "Do you have Transformer Animated Deluxe Class Ratchet?" Big W Answer: "Uh, yeah, we have a box that says Autobot Ratchet on it."

Point 7. Again, I mean the person at the other end of the phone. Does Big W want you to match their prices? Since it would result in them losing a sale, seemingly not.

Again though, this conversation is meaningless without context, of which you're giving me none. You brag about a Coles Myer staff card. Are you a Kmart employee? Are you talking about Kmart policy and practices? Is this further than you'd like to admit/announce?

Krayt
6th July 2008, 12:54 AM
I'm an Officework-er

Leaves out the possibility of having to define which version of ratchet you were after.... but we know enough at both ends of the phone to know that we are both talking about the Canon IP4500 and a Twin pack of the canon #5 ink cartridge...

ALL officeworks do this.... have to do this.... will do this.... but this police started on 1st-7-08, so give the guy on holidays a break his first shift back before he gets told about it...

It doesn't make a difference if they will lose the sale or not.... saying "i'm calling from officeworks" first gets the same answer as "hi, i was wonder what the price of this is..." they say it and we reduce it.... or find out how to tell the customer the price they are trying to match is 3 years old :p

jaydisc
6th July 2008, 01:07 AM
OK, that makes sense, but alas, Kmart ≠ OfficeWorks (that's a not-equals sign in case it doesn't come out)

I just don't see how anything reliable can come out of a conversation between a Kmart employee and a Big W employee having a conversation about whether or not "Transformers Animated Deluxe Ratchet" is in stock, ESPECIALLY during these sales where stock is all over the store.

I was at Kmart today and my boy found a Winnie the Pooh that took his fancy randomly located on top of some detergent somewhere. It was a bit beaten so I found the nearest staff and asked where I could find a non-damaged one. Three staff later, three misdirected attempts, I just bought the slightly damaged one.

Now, in specific relation to Kmart, they hire lowest common denominator. My source of this comes from the formerly full time employed lady that managed my local's toy section. She was immensely qualified. Knew everything that was in stock, where it was, if it wasn't in stock, when it had last been in stock. They let her go and only hire her on contract because they didn't want to pay her. I'm sure someone up high got a bonus for the cost savings. So, now, I rely on uncaring, unqualified, sixteen year olds.

Now, based on what you way, I'm sure this isn't from the top down, but it seems that many of the staff who insist on calling to check stock actually don't want to price match, and I wonder why... Do they feel they're losing some unknown battle by lowering the price for me? Is this a competition? This is what I estimate is the case with the manager that Mel got, and the one that I got, and unfortunately for the adversary in my case, I love these situations. I'm happy to go to the proverbial mat, and I'm even happier when I win.

Krayt
6th July 2008, 01:20 AM
Now, based on what you way, I'm sure this isn't from the top down, but it seems that many of the staff who insist on calling to check stock actually don't want to price match, and I wonder why... Do they feel they're losing some unknown battle by lowering the price for me? Is this a competition? This is what I estimate is the case with the manager that Mel got, and the one that I got, and unfortunately for the adversary in my case, I love these situations. I'm happy to go to the proverbial mat, and I'm even happier when I win.

So you enjoy battling someone you KNOW is gonna fold?? :p

The reason we have to check/call/confirm is because as soon as we Pricematch, the ball will be rolling to get it implimented Australia wide asap.... Therefore if if it was an old sale or something, we're losing money.... but if it's the price, we need to be the lowest

jaydisc
6th July 2008, 01:30 AM
So you enjoy battling someone you KNOW is gonna fold?? :p

The reason we have to check/call/confirm is because as soon as we Pricematch, the ball will be rolling to get it implimented Australia wide asap.... Therefore if if it was an old sale or something, we're losing money.... but if it's the price, we need to be the lowest

No, I just like the arisen opportunity when someone tries to unjustly assert their false authority over me.

Are you talking about checking/calling/confirming stock or price? I thought we were discussing my objection to A. the requirement that the item must be in stock and B. my belief that the process to do this is useless. I've got no issue with them confirming the price in the Big W catalog that I just handed them.

I think we're going in circles. In the immortal words of the curiously absent Pulse, "Let's agree to disagree" :)

liegeprime
6th July 2008, 01:53 AM
Goodness! I only read this thread a few times before and when I opened it again 5 pages of new talkbacks and controversies have exploded in my face..... it was a very interesting read, although gives me a headache with all the analytical discussion going on... me thinks only simply heheheh :D sorry brain froze....

griffin
6th July 2008, 04:07 AM
It sounds like Kmart are wanting to adopt BigW's policy of 'lowest price guarantee', which could either see stock spiralling downwards to rediculously cheap levels below cost, or a collusion of matching prices so that they don't have to undercut each other.

Just my 2-cents on this whole price-matching topic - Since I know how much each Transformers toy is at wholesale, and how it relates to the retail price here and in America (for the exact same stock), I have no simpathy towards any retail store in this country for being convinced/manipulated/tricked *by chance/luck* to sell at a significantly lesser price. If someone is able to get a Voyager class toy for AU$20, it is offset by all those Voyager toys that are 2-3 times the price they should be here. If stores did end up losing too much money over a nationwide price-match, they would consider not stocking the line. Bad you say? Well yes, if Hasbro AU didn't have a lot of room to move with dropping the wholesale price as an incentive to keep retailers buying more of their stock (if the retailers are too stupid to realise they are paying 3 times for the *exact same stock* as American retailers, then they should suffer the consequences of fans generating fairer retail prices). Using the Deluxe class again as an example (so that I only ever reveal one size's prices), Hasbro AU could knock off an extra $10 per unit from the wholesale price before they would be selling it at Hasbro US wholesale price. Factor in the 40% markup by retailers for covering their running costs and profit, and you're looking at a toy that could shed $14 off its regular ($26) retail price before it becomes unprofitable by Hasbro AU and the retailers.
So if you could get lucky with an 'excessive' price-matching discount, reguardless of what you were price-matching it to, anything up to half off our AUS retail price is still being absorbed by the 'excessive' wholesale/retail pricing here.
In a way, it IS khama. Hasbro AU and the retailers shaft us every day with over-pricing, so why can't they get shafted by us, even if it is just once? It's just a pity that it can't happen more often to offset their over-pricing. Fans like me would be saving hundreds or thousands each year if they had *fair pricing* to start with. So you can't blame those of us who can be a bit predatory with excessive price-matching, returning higher priced purchases, or importing from cheaper sources. Hasbro AU forced us to behave like this, so don't blame us fans for trying to prevent paying out 2-3 times an American fan does on the exact same items.

(and before anyone wants to suggest that our wholesale prices should be more than US wholesale prices, remember that the stock is from the same production run, and transport costs would not be a significant variable when you import stuff by the '40-foot-container' load - they may get more stock sent to America, but it is still done by each 40-foot-container, so price per unit within each Container is the same, no matter how many Containers are being shipped at once - ie, no bulk discount in shipping, and no reason why AUS stores pay AU$17 per unit wholesale compared to US stores paying AU$7 for each Deluxe sized Transformers toy)

FFN
6th July 2008, 08:16 AM
I think its getting overboard when we're now paying more for TFs at current exchange rates than the UK, Europe and Japan.

TheDirtyDigger
6th July 2008, 08:28 AM
it was just a cover anyway... he was the distraction for his theif partner... made off with $400 worth of stock at least)
Nice one!

retailers shaft us every day with over-pricing, so why can't they get shafted by us,

Kmart ≠ OfficeWorks

Last time I checked Officeworks did equal Kmart...and Target...and Coles and...Bunnings and more, and their evil conglomerate were taking 25 cents in every retail dollar spent in this country (which has more than likely risen since the Wesfarmers take-over).
With dollar amounts like these I feel it should be the patriotic duty of the common drone employees of the Wesfarmers Beast to help their customers in every way get the best price possible on anything they need to purchase.
To do any less is stingy, evil, un-Australian and being an ass!

In fact I hereby call on all retail employees of the The Great Satan Wesfarmers, be they Officeworks patsies, Coles cattle, Target hive mind zombies or any other workers in another arm of this corrupt Hydra-like leviathan to give something away free to a fellow Australian this week.
Just forget to scan something as it goes through your checkout.
It will make someone happy, make you feel better about yourself and bring good and loving karma.

Do it.

Golden Phoenix
6th July 2008, 12:22 PM
I think its getting overboard when we're now paying more for TFs at current exchange rates than the UK, Europe and Japan.

I think it is overboard when we are paying the same, if not less to import a wave of Transformers from overseas and pay shipping.

lcz128
6th July 2008, 01:12 PM
what the...
I turned around and BOOM.
This thread has exploded! :o

Borgeman
6th July 2008, 01:25 PM
you know the retail price is too much when you can buy stuff overseas (from around the same place as where the local stock was made and shipped) as still end up paying less per figure after shipping....

George

TF76
6th July 2008, 05:49 PM
After attempt 4 I finally price matched a leader Brawl today at Brimbank Kmart. We got it for $56.70 but it was very difficult.

Even with Leader class in the catalogue and well stocked local Big W stores, it took close to an hour.

We went to Watergardens Big W and they had about 30 so we knew if they called we would have no issues, we were wrong.

I don’t think people at Big W are even going to the floor to look for stock when you call, their just looking at the catalogue.

We had 2 Kmart Phones and both our mobiles going until we finally got someone to go on the foor at a Big W and scan it. The combination of my girlfriend being well known to one of the Kmart staff, from working at the near by Target, combined with really nice lady in refunds meant they believed our clam and persevered.

After finally getting the price match we thanked the lady with a choc chip cookie.

etht26
6th July 2008, 05:49 PM
you know the retail price is too much when you can buy stuff overseas (from around the same place as where the local stock was made and shipped) as still end up paying less per figure after shipping....

George

yeah, true but the shipping cost and waiting for your toy to arrive is the real issue i'm having. escially off ebay, sometimes i didn't even recieve my toy..

Demonac
6th July 2008, 06:28 PM
After attempt 4 I finally price matched a leader Brawl today at Brimbank Kmart. We got it for $56.70 but it was very difficult.

I've had the best & worst experience's at Brimbank Kmart.
The best was a year or 2 ago, I was after several deluxe toys, and Kmart had them ($6 more than -I forget where-). After tracking down a girl on the floor who helpfully went out back & found me the ones I was after, I mentioned to her that I would be price matching them. Without hesitation, she led me to the electronics section, and did it there, based on what I told her the price was. No phone calls, just a price match.

The worst was a few months back. Again with deluxe toys...only 1 this time (movie Landmine). I had the catalogue from Target showing 'deluxe action figures' in it. I was knocked back because, and I'm quoting here: "this is not an action figure". It was at this point that I completely lost it! I had never been so pissed off at a store crony in my life.
I managed to convince her (using quite a colourful choice of words) that it was an 'action figure', but she wasn't done yet. You see, this Kmart closes after Target, so she told me that because they can't call to confirm that Target had the item, they can't match the price. My response: "I'm sure there is a Target open in Perth somewhere...call one of them".
She finally relented at this point, and gave in to me.
Now what did she gain by making such a big deal out of it? Does she get a bonus in her pay for every price match she knocks back? I doubt it.

sifun
6th July 2008, 08:20 PM
maybe it was that time of the month for her and it was late.

Zippo
6th July 2008, 08:23 PM
Kmart is the only toy stocking store that price matches in New Zealand -- the other big two (Farmers and the Warehouse don't). Haven't tried for a long time to price match anything. I nornmally just wait for Farmers to have one of their sales with a blanket % of all toys or import from the USA.

STL
6th July 2008, 11:49 PM
Corporations exist with the primary objective of maximising returns to their key stakeholders. It's no secret that many organisations have in this modern era broadened their definition of stakeholder to include the financiers, suppliers, the local community, and, last but not least, customers. Corporations frequently vindicate their strategies by contending that they are attempting to add and create value for their customers. That, however, is frequently at odds with their aim of maximising shareholder value. There's an inherent contradiction in this.

The objective of price matching is to function as a signal to the customer to be confident in the brand, the retailer. This builds the reputation of a business, elevates its status and brand, gives its brand relevance and meaning which translates into shareholder value - the ultimate objective of such a policy. There is value in this.

The pre-conditions attached to many price-matching policies attempt to curb the impact of price-matching itself. They are concerned with the creation of an artificial image of a corporation committed to the best price when it in fact is not. This defeats the purpose of price-matching. This limits the value that customers can derive from the policy. To many a person, the pre-conditions implicitly require a search cost. IE. to have the same item in stock. This is not knowledge that is easily ascertainable. So what? We require the customer to venture forth into several competitor's stores and seek proof themselves before daring to price-match? The policy, it would not be unfair to say, has little substantive value. It is an artifical veil that corporations can step behind to give the impression that they do care about price. There is no value in this.

And therein lies a disparity. Price-matching policies are rarely mutually beneficial. Rather, they are dress and weighed down with ever so slight qualifications that severely water down the benefit they are supposed to offer the customer. At best, price-matching is a complicated and difficult process that does reap some rewards. At worst, it is an illusion. Perhaps the real answer lies in the middle somewhere.

We have not even yet turned our minds to the other sources of power imbalances between ourselves and major corporations. A cursory examination would reveal that there is a wide divide between the individual consumer and the corporation. But that matters not. What we are discussing is price-matching. The essence of price-matching is to create value for the customer across similar product ranges, to build trust and confidence in a retailer's brand. I think that the events from which this discussion ignited are simply a reflection of this. In essence, we achieved the essence of what price-matching is about and to contend otherwise is to tangle oneself within a web of overcomplicating qualifications.

JuzMel
7th July 2008, 11:56 AM
maybe it was that time of the month for her and it was late.
:rolleyes: Boy you seriously wanna get smacked.. *smacks*...

STL
7th July 2008, 11:59 AM
:rolleyes: Boy you seriously wanna get smacked.. *smacks*...

:D

griffin
8th July 2008, 02:44 PM
Just managed to get TRU to price-match BigW's Movie Voyager price (in the July toy catalogue) for their Mudflap and Inferno toys. And I don't see it as being sneeky or deceptive either. They are price matching their 'Movie Voyagers' with BigW's 'Movie Voyagers'. If TRU were that keen to make money off exclusive items, they should show up at the register 'Exclusive item, not to be price matched'. As it stands, I legitimately pointed out that Mudflap and Inferno registered as 'Transformers Voyager' in their systems at the check-out, and showed them the quoted BigW catalogue of 'Movie Voyager', and the example photo of the same packaging. The person at the register was quick to accept the price to match because it was price-matching to a *size class* in the BigW catalogue. If the catalogue had mentioned a particular toy, or 'non-exclusives' or 'regular series' only, it would have been different. But this was TRU matching a price that was advertised at BigW for *all* Movie Voyagers.
The person at the register did comment that it was a huge discount, which I mentioned that there were some really cheap toys in the July sales, blah blah blah... making sure I didn't mention how TRU usually overprices toys anyway :p
At $45 down to $24.83 each, it was almost like getting 2 for the price of 1. :D

But I almost missed the chance though, because I tried to get a catalogue from BigW first, but they said that they had run out way back on Friday!! I did the next best thing and go to each of the instore service counters and asked if they had any spares left. The Layby counter did, and were very generous in letting me have it. :)
That one bit of generosity saved me $40. :)

Kyle
8th July 2008, 02:53 PM
If TRU were that keen to make money off exclusive items, they should show up at the register 'Exclusive item, not to be price matched'.

If they were keen, they should also have a "TRU exclusvie" sticker on the box... :p

iceburn
8th July 2008, 03:06 PM
If they were keen, they should also have a "TRU exclusvie" sticker on the box... :p

agree....

SofaMan
11th July 2008, 01:38 AM
Price matching, as this thread demonstrates, is a filthy tangled difficult mess - just the way retailers like it. It's a way for retailers to *feel* like they're offering something good while only rarely having to actually follow through.

I cut through the mess with either no-receipt exchanges, or a repurchase-and-switcheroo.

Target are quite happy to do the former. I bought Prowl and Lockdown at the K-Mart sale for about $20 each, since they had no Wave 2 Deluxes. I took them to my nearest Target and asked if I could exchange them, apologising for having no receipt. There was no complaint at all; I went down and got my Ratchet and Blackarachnia, and they kept my Prowl and Lockdown. I filled in a little slip with my name and address, and I'm home free.

The latter is a more complex where you actually have to purchase all the toys, then return the ones you don't want to the store with the highest priced receipt.

I know some people might consider this a bit ethically dodgy, but it saves massive hassle, and no-one is actually getting ripped off, since they are undifferentiated products (i.e. the TFs sold by KMart are the same as the ones sold by Target), and everybody ends up withe either the same number of toys or payment for those toys. :cool:

Vector Sigma 13
11th July 2008, 06:50 AM
Sofaman you have a way with words. Lol

jaydisc
11th July 2008, 08:55 AM
Well said Sofaman. There are the tactics I employ as well. Also, if you don't have the capital when there is a sale, you can layby figures you don't want, but of the class that you do, and when the figurers you DO want are in, collect the layby and do the switcheroo. This saves the up front capital investment.

jaydisc
14th October 2008, 05:48 PM
So, I had two distinctively different Kmart price matching experiences today. Both were for Animated Deluxes which were in a Target catalog for 21.99.

Kmart Brandon Park
The cashier calls over a manager who looks at the catalog, looks at the toy and says sure :)

Kmart Northcote
My alma mater. I get pushed to the service desk with a cranky manager who says it has to be in stock and calls the local Target. I ask for documentation of the Lowest Price Guarantee Policy. Target's phone is engaged. She calls City Target. Sold out. I say to call Epping as they have stock (bluff). She says that's too far and they only have to call the closest. Again, I ask for documentation of this additional addendum. Of course, she cannot provide. She relents and calls the third and all three Targets say sold out. :o

At this point, I start to argue the ridiculous of her argument as the Toy was on sale at Kmart last week. It's on sale at Target this week and it will be on sale at Kmart again later this week and that both companies are owned by the same company. I ask why she would risk alienating a great customer in order to further her "pleasure in rejection". I mention that I price-match all the time and this is the first time these additional requirements have been added. She's very frustrated and goes to get another manager. He comes over and is extremely pleasant. First question he asks is, "How much is the difference?". "$5", she says. "Just do it," he says as he wrinkles his forehead. I explain to him my frustration of a lack of documentation. She's still trying to argue with me peering around his sides at me, saying she just called Big W and Target and they have the same policy to which I questioned the relevance as they were not the home of the "Lowest Price Guarantee."

Now, here's where it gets interesting....

We start getting chummy and he starts talking about how there was this Big W catalog with an item for $15 that they were selling for $40 (anyone (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?p=52104#post52104)? :D) and how that it was well below cost and they would lose money if they price matched (I personally never got a chance to do that). I asked him how he rationalized this to a customer expecting the Lowest price guarantee. He couldn't and didn't answer. I reinforced that the policy needs to be more clearly documented to avoid mixups like this in the future. He agreed and asked if it was just the one item I wanted.

I said there's still another at the register and if you don't mind, I'm going to go grab another three! :D

STL
14th October 2008, 05:55 PM
Geez, I've never had that much trouble. Once only and that was back at Greensborough w/ a very old women who I probably ran into at the wrong time of the month. Nice to see Brandon Park's very easy.

Target Epping out? Unlikely. They can't even move Blackarachnia or Ratchet off those shelves. Could've always tried Greensborough, they're a big mojo always packing extra toys.

autobreadticon
14th October 2008, 06:23 PM
Not happy yesterday when i went to Kmart FG and price-matched a final stand screen battle, they told me they wouldn't give me the 10% difference discount, i just accepted it cause i couldn't be bothered arguing with them.

Plain rude staff at Northcote Kmart today, keep me waiting and made crazy lies to deter me from price-matching, the first attempt to dissuade me was that the "first encounter screen battle" was different from the catalogue picture (even through i explained the toys were in the same line and the packaging had similar features), second they claimed the toy scanned up a different toy name from the BIGW catalogue (load of bull ,cause the suspend docket reads '%TF CINEMA SCENES'), next they explained they only price-match toys in the catalogue only when the closest competitor has the toy in-stock. OH i love how lame front-guy was pretending to talk to the manager, and what really annouyed was the well perform team play between Vicki and George on Kmart's 'universal' policy, getting the best of me!!!. discrimination mate , not happy!
Gonna be there on Friday to stir up some S#it (maybe not haha)

Robzy
14th October 2008, 07:42 PM
Where has this new ridiculous "it only applies to the exact same figure pictured in the catalogue" concept come from anyway??? :mad:

I mean, this is the most absurd reason that Target/Kmart staff have ever given for not price-matching! :mad:

A staff member at Target spouted this line to me the other day, and I just calmy said to her, "So, you're suggesting that each catalogue should have pictures of EVERY SINGLE figure in a line, eg 5-10 different toys in each size class, when it clearly says "All Voyager Sized Figures" or "All Deluxe Size Figures" underneath?" She had no response for me of course! :rolleyes:

Surely the figure pictured is a REPRESENTATION of the figures on sale??!!

:rolleyes:

i_amtrunks
14th October 2008, 08:45 PM
Wanted to price match some figures at kmart, but finding a Target catalogue was out since the local stores were out, and by the time I got to Kmart, Target was closed, so no price matching. :(

So I hide the nice figures instead, but I expect them to be gone by the time I get to the sale on Thursday night.

Krayt
14th October 2008, 09:11 PM
geez......

I had no problem pricematching at Northcote.... Just waved the catalouge and it was done.

might have helped that i went to the toy aisle and the person was just finishing putting them on the shelves, i asked about matching and said i have a cataloge in the car... went and got it, showed, and they didn't know any Targets in the area... I listed 3 or so and she walked me to the registers and didn't even call

As for price matching policy.... i'm fairly sure they were giving you a run around. None of this is in the policy, but i'll check at work tomorrow. However, don't take it out on them too much, as alot of staff have trouble adjusting to new ways to do things.... and the price matching of all coles brands recently got modified by Wesfarmers. they were aot more strict, but all that was pulled out.

also, some (most) staff just suck.... i'll go all out and say i'm prob our best customer service person in my store, and guess where i am now.... working in the bloody stock room!!!!

Pulse
14th October 2008, 09:25 PM
Ahhh, The trials & tribulations of price matching... :D (& the lame reasons employees call-upon in refusing to do them... :rolleyes:)

It's not like the difference is coming out of their own pocket - I'm guessing there's probably a manager breathing down their necks... :rolleyes:

Golden Phoenix
14th October 2008, 10:05 PM
Found this:
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee236/lilpretzel/Buckscoop/kmart.jpg (http://www.buckscoop.com.au/deals/14982/kmart-15-30-off-toy-s-bikes-starts-)
(links for details)

Appears to be from either their website or one of their catalogues. Either way, there is no small print so if it is the same product and in stock they have to match it and then some.

Krayt
14th October 2008, 10:10 PM
In that case, they have all rights to make sure it is in the store your matching with....

which means sometmes they will just ring the store, but other "smarter" staff will make sure that Soundwave actually is at the local Target before they will pricematch

Golden Phoenix
14th October 2008, 10:17 PM
In that case, they have all rights to make sure it is in the store your matching with....

I would note though, there is nothing about the other stores location, absolutely nothing.

Krayt
14th October 2008, 10:50 PM
General concensus is that it needs to be within a suitable area. i've seen at some stores a "competitor area map" showing the area they will match in. My store doesn't bother with that.

But if you came in saying a little shop up in cairns has it cheap, well it's not like your going to drive there and get it if i say no.

it's actually funny.... before we added beating by 5%, if the customer was a pain we used to say no and make them go where they had "just seen it for x amount".... if your getting it at the same price, why didn't you get it there when you saw it????

iceburn
14th October 2008, 11:15 PM
General concensus is that it needs to be within a suitable area. i've seen at some stores a "competitor area map" showing the area they will match in. My store doesn't bother with that.

But if you came in saying a little shop up in cairns has it cheap, well it's not like your going to drive there and get it if i say no.

it's actually funny.... before we added beating by 5%, if the customer was a pain we used to say no and make them go where they had "just seen it for x amount".... if your getting it at the same price, why didn't you get it there when you saw it????

it's all about the additional 10% off from the x amount we saw it for...
that will make alot of difference

Krayt
14th October 2008, 11:24 PM
it's all about the additional 10% off from the x amount we saw it for...
that will make alot of difference

that's what i mean... it used to be just match at my store, not beat

kurdt_the_goat
14th October 2008, 11:47 PM
I mentioned elsewhere i got refused a price match at Kmart on the $15 Big W Screen Battles. On the grounds of them not having the exact toy in stock.

I didn't bother pushing, but if I was going to, i'd have mentioned how all the varieties of a series/size class scan in with the same name; effectively meaning they're all the same toy, right? They all come up as TF blah blah Asst.

I bet if you wanted to price match a green lamp, they wouldn't ring the other store and get them to check if they had the green lamp specifically, only all varieties of the specific lamp. I need to use this analogy next time :)

liegeprime
14th October 2008, 11:50 PM
Well then judging from this discussion, I wont be able to do this pricematching thing coz the local area Target and Big W often have less if none of the stock, when Kmart has it or Vice versa which if they ever do make a call when your attempting for a pricematch the store on the other side will prolly say ' yeah we HAD those but none on the shelves right now anymore :(:(.

jacksplatt11
15th October 2008, 01:15 AM
When I used to work at target, a year or so ago now, I never got asked once about price matching a toy. Mind you we were the only major department store for 200kms, and our only competition was toyworld, who we were cheaper than by a mile..

The only things people ever wanted to price match were things like tvs, dvd players and the like, and 99% of the time we were cheaper than retravision and harvey norman anyway haha

Tiby
15th October 2008, 09:21 AM
I don't bother price-matching anymore. My local K-Mart has the Ice Queen for the service desk manager and the attitude! Unbelievable. She gets right down to the bar-code numbers. Given the real problems I deal with at work every day, I just can't be bothered tainting my hobby by arguing with these retail store emperors.

Well done to members who have managed to have some success price-matching.

liegeprime
15th October 2008, 09:38 AM
I don't bother price-matching anymore. My local K-Mart has the Ice Queen for the service desk manager and the attitude! Unbelievable.

Oh noes the Fables are infiltrating the real world :p:p!

STL
15th October 2008, 11:18 PM
Had absolutely no problem tonight. My girlfriend was very excited by it all. She agrees with me there's a certain thrill to it. I collected all the wave 3 Deluxes I could find and took them to the counter knowing there was a 15% off potentially on top of the price match. Worst case scenario was that I would get them for $21.90 (Target price minus 10% the difference of $22.95: K-Mart's sale price this week) which would be more than than what Jaydisc picked them up at ($21.50) and I'd have to pull out of the transaction.

I was a bit more nervous than usual given the accounts of how tight K-Mart were recently. My girlfriend thought it would be downright embarrassing if I walked off when I didn't get the extra 15% so I promised we'd buy it and then just return it right away if that happened to save us the shame. I picked a young cashier, she looked 18 at most. The queue was busy and I was patient and amicable. We talked while the equally young manager (about 25) tried to figure it out. She joined into our little conversation as well about snow trips. I said we should move b/c the queue was forming but they assured us it was okay. Anyways, final price goes in at $17.76 and I'm thinking: will this work? Instead the manager simply smiles at me and says that's the final price. My girlfriend gives me a nudge, I just thank the manager as well as the cashier and tell them to have a good night. On our way out, the manager calls out bye-bye to us and we turn around and wave.

blackie
15th October 2008, 11:38 PM
oh price match master, you must teach me your ways.
once i get the hallowed coles discount card, and couple it with the already obtained woolworths discount card, i will receive discounts like no other before me :D

blackie
27th October 2008, 10:48 AM
random question, can i return something i bought at 1 big w to another?

STL
27th October 2008, 11:49 AM
random question, can i return something i bought at 1 big w to another?

Yeap, part of the convenience factor. Same applies to K-Mart, Target, Myer and DJs (though there aren't many DJs around are there?)

STL
10th November 2008, 11:51 PM
I had a bad experience today. Going to Eastland w/ my mates for lunch, I went to K-Mart to price-match a Lego set Myer has on sale. The snide little granny basically first of all said to me that they don't do price-match on toys on sale! And I was like where in the hell was that? I remained pretty nice at this part. Then when I ask her where in the policy does it say that cos I've pricematched elsewhere before, she said she knew cos she'd worked there for years. I then grabbed a K-Mart catalogue and showed her the exact wording. She says then okay but the other store has to have it in stock. I pointed out Myer has them. She tells me to go over there and get it then. I say to her I prefer K-Mart b/c there's 10% the difference. She then says to me, I'm sorry we do not give 10% difference on sale prices? I kept my cool as much as I could, and said as nicely as possibly that that's mentioned nowhere I've seen including on the big board they have in store w/ their lowest price guarantee. The woman then reaffirms that her experience tells her otherwise and that the other stores have all got it wrong. I then say to her that she has to stand by this policy (i'm getting a bit irritated at this point) b/c its what they advertise and they have to honour what's there. She butts in when I'm sounding as nice as possible and says "Are you telling me how to do my job?" And I reply (trying not to get very hostile) that it was just that a major retailer like themselves would honour their terms especially when the conditions she was placing on the price match couldn't be found anywhere.

After a bit more tooing and froing (and one of my mates saying that it's actually a breach of the Trade Practices Act, making mention of the fact we're law students and know our rights - which I didn't like cos I try to be as amicable as possible) she said, with a snarky smile, you have to first buy it from Myer then bring it there w/ the receipt and then they'd price-match it for me - w/ the 10% difference. And I said to her that's not terribly convenient and since the result is the same why can't she just do it there. She then stated "tough" as that's the only way I'll get a price-match at her store. If I want it easier, I should drive over to one of those K-Marts that price matched the wrong way.

I'd had enough. Okay, my mate is over 6 foot and condescending but that was only about 4 minutes in after she proved how much of a small person she was. I asked for her full name and staff number so that I could file a report to K-Mart. She said that she wouldn't give me her full name and I could simply report her first name which she proudly showed me was on her name tag.

I didn't bother w/ the price-match but that had to be one of the most terrible experiences I've ever had.

Krayt
11th November 2008, 12:38 AM
That's all wrong... the only "condition" apart from instock at the other store is that you have to ask for the 10% off the difference..... If you don't say it, they will just match the price.

stupid old lady

blackie
11th November 2008, 06:38 AM
bah i have friends that work at that kmart, plus eastland is a $h!t hole anyway :P, should have gone to knox

EDIT: why didnt you ask for her manager? she cant not get her manager if you demand it, and ive always found if you kick up enough of a fuss, then youll get what you want. id ring up and speak to the manager and tell him/her what went on and get her in a heap of trouble, and its her word against you and your mates...

JuzMel
11th November 2008, 09:59 AM
Yup I'm sure now you know how I felt at TRU that time... only thing I couldn't be bothered arguing with the guy for long... It's still back to a case of luck; which is the sales person you engage on that day, if they are in a good mood and not the "show-u-attitude" type, then good on you, else they will do the same thing.

Kmart Chaddy is pretty okay, I price-match Lego with a Big W's catalogue before. And yeah like Blackie said, you could have asked to speak to the manager. But yeah, definitely complain about the granny, use their feedback form: http://kmart.com.au/contactus/service_email.asp

I called their customer service number and was put to voicemail and no one answered. I got a call from them the day after I complained on the feedback form. The store manager called to apologize (about an upsetting matter) and said I should have asked to see her that morning.

jaydisc
11th November 2008, 10:29 AM
Was she the manager? Did you ask for her supervisor?

Pulse
11th November 2008, 10:55 AM
The old bag may even get a talking to... ;)

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/AP_Photo/2004/12/23/1103840083_1620.jpg

Golden Phoenix
11th November 2008, 11:06 AM
why didnt you ask for her manager? she cant not get her manager if you demand it, and ive always found if you kick up enough of a fuss, then youll get what you want. id ring up and speak to the manager and tell him/her what went on and get her in a heap of trouble, and its her word against you and your mates...

Agreed. She obviously wasn't doing her job, so she should get in trouble for it.

iceburn
11th November 2008, 11:17 AM
I went to K-Mart to price-match a Lego set Myer has on sale. The snide little granny basically first of all said to me that they don't do price-match on toys on sale!

how many times did i tell you not to try your charms on older woman...
it just won't work... ;)

blackie
11th November 2008, 04:48 PM
was thinking about this today, she actually could get in a lot of truoble, because it could be seen she was decieving you to make more profit for the company....

that and....

I GOT MY COLES DISCOUNT CARD TODAY :D
now i get $$$ off at big w, kmart and target :D

jacksplatt11
11th November 2008, 04:57 PM

Haha, 5% off.. I guess I was pretty excited too when I got my first one.. I suppose it does make a difference on more expensive stuff but on cheaper (less than $100) it's hardly noticeable, I guess all the savings add up over time though...

blackie
11th November 2008, 05:01 PM
Haha, 5% off.. I guess I was pretty excited too when I got my first one.. I suppose it does make a difference on more expensive stuff but on cheaper (less than $100) it's hardly noticeable, I guess all the savings add up over time though...

'tis even more about keeping money out of their pockets and in mine :D

STL
11th November 2008, 05:05 PM
I filed a complaint today using Mel's link. She pretty much said she was in charge. We'll see how it goes.

Nice one, Blackie, that's a price-match plus 10% difference plus 5%. Can I have borrow your card?

blackie
11th November 2008, 05:08 PM
I filed a complaint today using Mel's link. She pretty much said she was in charge. We'll see how it goes.

Nice one, Blackie, that's a price-match plus 10% difference plus 5%. Can I have borrow your card?

we should go on a after exams price matching bender :P

Golden Phoenix
11th November 2008, 05:55 PM

just watch out for the wallet hangovers the next morning

Krayt
11th November 2008, 06:35 PM

if you price match, you can't use a discount card.... one or the other, not both

blackie
11th November 2008, 06:43 PM
seriously? oh that makes me sad. im sure ill be able to anyway, most people prob wont know :P

iceburn
11th November 2008, 06:48 PM
if you price match, you can't use a discount card.... one or the other, not both

agree

STL
11th November 2008, 07:32 PM

Idea forming here (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?p=61501#post61501).

jaydisc
11th November 2008, 08:25 PM
Can anyone get a Coles Discount card?

blackie
11th November 2008, 08:28 PM
you gota work there....

jacksplatt11
11th November 2008, 08:29 PM
Can anyone get a Coles Discount card?

Coles employees only, and also once upon a time shareholders, but I believe this doesn't happen anymore

Unless there have been some recent changes that I am not aware of

blackie
11th November 2008, 08:36 PM
not that i know of. ive been there almost 5 months and just got mine, and it expires at the end of the month :(
oh well then i get a new one

Krayt
11th November 2008, 08:45 PM
It's not the people you have to worry about... the registers themselves block discounts on certain things.... try using it on a pre-paid phone recharge at coles and you won't get anywhere...

and don't hold your breath for a new card... we usually would have the next one by now.... so far all we have is an employee share offer (read as possible instead of)

Paulbot
11th November 2008, 09:21 PM
Coles employees only, and also once upon a time shareholders, but I believe this doesn't happen anymore

Yeah back in the RID days I used to use my parent's shareholder card to get discounts. Good ol' days :)

griffin
12th November 2008, 03:18 AM

Um, BigW is the competition... :p
You'll get 5% off at Coles, Kmart, Target and Officeworks, plus a number of other discounts (check the website for the full *current* list). Plus Kmart Auto, which I only found out recently...

As people have already said, there are some limitations to the discount card - like, you can't get the staff discount on top of storewide %-off sales, but you can get the discount on a section %-off sale (like toys or clothes etc), as well as the price-matching thing.

The woolworths staff card is better though, because you get a discount on petrol as well (in place of the 4c docket voucher - so you don't need to have one on hand all the time).

Golden Phoenix
12th November 2008, 10:09 AM
Um, BigW is the competition... :p
You'll get 5% off at Coles, Kmart, Target and Officeworks, plus a number of other discounts (check the website for the full *current* list). Plus Kmart Auto, which I only found out recently...

I beleive he has both a Coles and Woolworths card

iceburn
12th November 2008, 11:36 AM
The woolworths staff card is better though, because you get a discount on petrol as well (in place of the 4c docket voucher - so you don't need to have one on hand all the time).

Unless i'm wrong (once again), the woolworths card applies to public as well. i've the card and depends on the number of transaction at Woolsworth...you'll get discount of 4cents off petrol (if any left on the card).

Borgeman
12th November 2008, 11:41 AM
nah daniel, the one they are talking abt is the staff discount card - staff get 4c off every time.

that woolworths card you (and I) have just stores 4c dockets electronically every time we spend over $30, to save on paper

George

blackie
12th November 2008, 05:06 PM
I beleive he has both a Coles and Woolworths card

indeedy i do :D
finish at woolies on saturday hopefully .... (they seem to have "lost" my resignation letter...)

jaydisc
12th November 2008, 06:55 PM
Since this thread is sort of a customer service vent.

I just got back from Kmart where I wanted to exchange a defective Onslaught for another of the same. The lady insisted on crediting back my card and wanting me to go repurchase it. I'm a bit late with that card payment so I couldn't repurchase it and said I just wanted to exchange it for the same item. She said that wasn't the way they did it. I then said I didn't have the card and she said I therefore couldn't exchange it (:mad:). I requested the manager and then she conveniently said she'd make an exception and do the exchange. I said I wanted the manager anyway. She then said they're in a meeting. I asked for the policy. She pointed out the policy said that for a [change-of-mind] refund they have the option of only putting it back on the purchasing card. I showed her a paragraph in the same policy which said for defective items they have the option of repair, exchange or refund. She said she knows the policy and that's how it works. She exchanged it for me anyway.

I think this is an example of how some of these alleged customer service folk take pleasure in rejection. They need to pick their audience more wisely ;)

blackie
12th November 2008, 07:03 PM
bah you kids are too lazy, just demand the manager more. if not id go back the next day.
im hoping this happens to me soon, cause ill go off my nut, not happy when people lie to me :P

dirge
12th November 2008, 07:24 PM
I showed her a paragraph in the same policy which said for defective items they have the option of repair, exchange or refund. She said she knows the policy and that's how it works.

She's full of it. The consumer's choice of repair, refund or exchange of faulty items is the law. Change of mind is store policy, statutory consumer rights go well beyond that.

(This isn't just for jaydisc, but I thought it timely to share this)

Pulse
12th November 2008, 07:32 PM
<snip>

change-of-mind

<snip>

That was probably her thinking of your reasoning summed up right there. From past experience in trying to exchange things (not just TFs), Once they've reached that conclusion about you - it's like talking to a brickwall... :rolleyes:

jaydisc
12th November 2008, 08:25 PM
Dirge is of course correct. From consumer.gov.au's FAQ (http://www.consumer.gov.au/html/faqs.htm#consumers):

When am I entitled to a refund?

Under the law, you are entitled to a refund, exchange or repair if something you bought:

is faulty or defective and you were not aware of it

does not do the job you were led to believe it would do

does not match a sample you were shown or

was not as described on the box or in an advertisement

Businesses do not have to give you a refund if:

you can't prove that you bought it (eg. you don't have a receipt).

you change your mind about it

you have damaged it or

you knew or should have known about a fault when you bought it (eg. factory seconds)

I'm gonna keep a printout of that on me.

Come to think of it, I'm going to put together a hunting pouch with a copy of that, Kmart's "Lowest Price Guarantee", refund policies, etc. Just let them try and give me lip.

dirge
12th November 2008, 09:18 PM
Dirge is of course correct.

http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/3769272/2/istockphoto_3769272_correct.jpg

Golden Phoenix
12th November 2008, 11:38 PM
I think this is an example of how some of these alleged customer service folk take pleasure in rejection. They need to pick their audience more wisely ;)

Apparently at some stores and chains, like EBGames for example, they are tracked on sales and refunds and upselss etc etc.
Doing a refund is a negative score for these systems. I know K-mart probably wouldn't do that kind of thing, but when they go back to check the refund, the persons name is going to come up, and it isn't going to look good in the managers eyes. So that's probably what they think about. Stupid, but it is probably what they care about

griffin
13th November 2008, 12:46 PM
Dirge is of course correct. From consumer.gov.au's FAQ (http://www.consumer.gov.au/html/faqs.htm#consumers):

(snipped)

I'm gonna keep a printout of that on me.

Come to think of it, I'm going to put together a hunting pouch with a copy of that, Kmart's "Lowest Price Guarantee", refund policies, etc. Just let them try and give me lip.

Jay, if you do put together a set of stuff as a 'toy chaser's survival pack', can you post up scans or sources, for those of us also wanting to go 'armed' in future?

JuzMel
13th November 2008, 01:53 PM
It's weird though, all the times I have refunded at Kmart or Target, the lady always asks if I would like it back on the card or get cash for it (even when it was paid by card). The only time Kmart refunded me the store credit was when I bought items with the store credit and that was fair enough.

I had it of all the stress having to speak to sales persons for refunds. I usually go buy the item at sale prices and then bring the items I bought at original price to refund (only for Kmart because they have special codes for each figure).

For Target or Big W, I go in repurchase the item on sale, walk one round at the outside shops and bring the same item back to refund with the non-sale price receipt. Saves me having to bring the toys from home again and having to have much conversation with them at all. :rolleyes:

STL
13th November 2008, 11:14 PM
Jay, if you do put together a set of stuff as a 'toy chaser's survival pack', can you post up scans or sources, for those of us also wanting to go 'armed' in future?

hahahaha, trust me, u didn't even have to tell GPS boy that at all.

jaydisc
9th December 2008, 11:24 AM
A few notes I'd like to add.

I've recently decided to play more by the rules as much as possible with price matching. I've been doing so by finding out which competitor has stock before doing the price match and supplying the specific competitor where there is stock. I've had some situations where a Kmart staff member will tell me they only price match nearby stores at which point I show them the description of the Lowest Price Guarantee in one of their catalogs and ask where that is in the policy. None have had a retort to that.

Another technique I've employed is to simply go buy the item at the competitor first and bring the receipt with me to the place I want to price match. This worked quite well for me recently when I got FABs and Cyber Slammers for $3/$2.50 respectively and took the receipt to TRU. Since the Kmart receipt has the exact barcode on it, they had little room to dispute (and didn't).

Hope this helps others.

Golden Phoenix
9th December 2008, 12:46 PM
A few notes I'd like to add.

I've recently decided to play more by the rules as much as possible with price matching. I've been doing so by finding out which competitor has stock before doing the price match and supplying the specific competitor where there is stock. I've had some situations where a Kmart staff member will tell me they only price match nearby stores at which point I show them the description of the Lowest Price Guarantee in one of their catalogs and ask where that is in the policy. None have had a retort to that.

Another technique I've employed is to simply go buy the item at the competitor first and bring the receipt with me to the place I want to price match. This worked quite well for me recently when I got FABs and Cyber Slammers for $3/$2.50 respectively and took the receipt to TRU. Since the Kmart receipt has the exact barcode on it, they had little room to dispute (and didn't).

Hope this helps others.

Playing by the rules does usually give you the upper hand, the high ground of sorts.

JuzMel
9th December 2008, 02:34 PM
Does this mean that TRU had to call Kmart up, confirm the barcode is for that item and then only agree to the price match?

jaydisc
9th December 2008, 04:01 PM
Does this mean that TRU had to call Kmart up, confirm the barcode is for that item and then only agree to the price match?

No, the receipt was proof that Kmart had it at the price and the barcode on the receipt perfectly matched the TRU item I wanted.

Zippo
11th December 2008, 06:43 PM
Finally had some price matching luck locally.
Until a few weeks ago, Kmart was the only store offering a good price match promise as Toyworld always tried to get around it somehow. Then The Warehouse finally decided to start price matching..

Took along a Farmers cataloge to The Warehouse to get them to price match. They first of all refused to till I pointed them to their mailer. Lady then tried to tell me it was for selected items. I got her to read the mailer and show me where it said that. She got the manager who told her to match and take $1 off the price.
I then made sure I got 50% off the price of the second toy due to the sale - and went away laughing after paying. The first deluxe was $22.99, the second was $5.74. The cashier had taken 50% off the 50% off price..

Pitty they had nothing else to try it again..

STL
11th December 2008, 10:43 PM
Finally had some price matching luck locally.
Until a few weeks ago, Kmart was the only store offering a good price match promise as Toyworld always tried to get around it somehow. Then The Warehouse finally decided to start price matching..

Took along a Farmers cataloge to The Warehouse to get them to price match. They first of all refused to till I pointed them to their mailer. Lady then tried to tell me it was for selected items. I got her to read the mailer and show me where it said that. She got the manager who told her to match and take $1 off the price.
I then made sure I got 50% off the price of the second toy due to the sale - and went away laughing after paying. The first deluxe was $22.99, the second was $5.74. The cashier had taken 50% off the 50% off price..

Pitty they had nothing else to try it again..

Extends a virtual *high five*! :D