PDA

View Full Version : (JAN-2013) Hasbro Gen1 Characters - Best and Worst

griffin
2nd January 2013, 03:14 PM
Who are your favourite characters in this series, and why?
Either as Toys or in their fiction, what has drawn you to love certain characters?

Which characters were disappointing or under-used?
Who would you have liked to have seen more of in this Series?

Starscream77
3rd January 2013, 09:44 AM
Starscream and Soundwave were always my faves, everyone loves a scheming or brooding bad guy

Either as Toys or in their fiction, what has drawn you to love certain characters?
Giant robots that transform into things and have personalities, whats not to be drawn to :D

I think Sideswipe was always underused over the series

Some of the larger bots that sprung up at the end

Megatron
3rd January 2013, 05:20 PM
Megatron, Starscream, Shockwave, Soundwave, Jazz

Why? Not because of any particular thing about them that I can put my finger on and say, "these are my favorites for this reason," but because they have a certain je ne sais quoi about them that appeals to me personally - an intangible quality that makes them distinctive or attractive.

First in their fiction, then as toys as well. See above.

I wouldn't say any were disappointing, other than to be under-used. Too many characters with not enough screen time - one of G1's main let downs. Jazz, Prowl, Ratchet, Bluestreak, Sideswipe, Sunstreaker, Elita-One, Hound, Cliffjumper... to name just a few Autobots, and there were also many Decepticons I'm sure, including Shockwave.

For me, definitely Jazz and Shockwave.

kaiden
4th January 2013, 12:04 AM
Hasbro G1

Pretty much all of them. I grew up with the cartoons and not the comics and all the characters were very quirky and unique.

hmm.. the g1 toys were done very well and had top notch alt modes, the robot modes... well you know. the cartoons gave them character.

All of them. They were disappointing that they weren't used more. Each character had the potential to be awesome. They had their own personalities, weapons and special abilities that sadly weren't used to great effect. Especially support characters that popped in to help out and then weren't heard from again for a long time.

All of them.

liegeprime
4th January 2013, 12:04 AM

Starscream - he sounds like my other fave character of that era- Cobra commander hehehe - that's coz it's the same guy :p. The scheming , backstabbing, 2nd in command is a very interesting character. He even survives death hehehe and cameos all the way to Beast wars... though voiced differently ;)

Soundwave - cmoooon it's Soundwave, with all those minions and that synthesizer voice. it's the reason I got hooked, plus it's my first ever official toy.

Devastator- The first and the original is always the best in gestalts

Shame Thunderwing and Bludgeon never got airtime at all in the toons, not even cameos coz the toons were dead by the time the toys are the ones on offer.
The dinobots during the early seasons were awesome, then they turned into comedic relief after the movie ( Snarl was missing in some scenes too) so that was a bit of a dissapointment. Would have been nice if these powerhouses stayed like an elite team feared by the decepticons.
I would've liked to see the Monsterbots more, they were just like comedic relief as well in the Jap series, not the fearsome warriors they ought to be.

GoktimusPrime
7th January 2013, 06:57 PM
Favourite character: Shockwave
Favourite toy: Beachcomber
Most disappointing character: G1 cartoon Fortress Maximus
Most underused character: Thundercracker
Who I would have liked to have seen more of: Hubcap, Powerdasher, the Omnibots and Time Warrior

Ultra Mackness
24th January 2013, 07:39 AM
Favourite characters: Optimus, Megs, Prowl, Starscream. (I must have been sitting right on the 50th percentile of demographic surveys!)

Fave toys: Again, these four. Optimus transformed from a king of the road truck into a king of the battle robot with piercing yellow eyes and his own roller (or sometimes other car) launching battle deck. I loved the clever engineering and Police design on Prowl and what kid didn't love the sleek fighter jet design of Starscream. A kid at my school had Megs an like Prowl, I loved the clever engineering.

Most disappointing: I remember being disappointed when Reflector disappeared from the cartoon after only a few episodes without explanation.

See more from: Daniel Witwicky :p. No, not really. It would have been good to see more of Wheeljack in the cartoons

BigTransformerTrev
24th January 2013, 12:42 PM
-Optimus - my hero! Everyone's hero!
-Sky Lynx - always had a certain admiration for someone with pure self confidence and is not afraid to show it (though maybe he was more arrogant lol)
-Starscream - responsible for half of the interesting plot points

-Thought Tracks was a great looking toy and the same with Inferno. They had interesting personalities in the cartoon as well.
-Warpath - great toy and a funny character, now a total hardass!

-Windcharger - he has magnetic powers! Why was he never throwing enemy bots around or making missiles turn around in mid-air?
-Punch/Counterpunch - could have made for an interesting character, and had the worst cameo appearance ever!

-Dirge - would love loved to see him doing some freaking out of humans with his sonic powers
-The female Autobots - cool characters that were pretty much a one off.

1AZRAEL1
25th January 2013, 02:30 PM
Soundwave of course, because he was cold and silent and had his minions heh

Same as above. I love the cassettes.

Snarl, he went missing in the movie lol

More Shockwave

Bidoofdude
26th January 2013, 02:36 PM
Who are your favourite characters of the series, and why?
Shockwave, Grimlock, Soundwave, Thundercracker, Blitzwing and Galvatron- All badass ;)

Either as toys or in their fiction, what has drawn you to love certain characters?
Seeing them as a kid on TV definitely had the most impact on liking them in the future

I would say most of the other Dinobots and Thundercracker

Who would you have liked to have seen more of in this series?

Shockwave, the Dinobots, Skywarp and Thundercracker. Maybe some of the less-known minibots as well.:cool:

Hursticon
29th January 2013, 01:38 AM

(Either as Toys or in their fiction, what has drawn you to love certain characters?)

For me, my favourite characters fall to 3 candidates;
-Soundwave
-Scorponok
-Unicron

Between the toys, comic & cartoon iterations/interpretations - These 3 tend to appeal to me the most due to their characterisation, gimmick & design.
They're all iconic characters with very distinct silhouettes & personalities, along with abilities & traits that make them stand out against a myriad of transforming robots.

I personally feel that the most under used & therefore disappointing characters are the Micromasters.

This basically follows on from the above question,

The Micromasters have narrative possibilities that are excellent and their miniature forms make for some very intriguing uses; but they also raise a lot of questions that could've been put to good use such as:
-Are they the same size of a human?
-Could they pilot larger 'Guzzlers'?
-What would a Micromaster revolution against their larger counterparts look like & playout?

I feel that Minicons explored some interesting potential that should've been used for the Micromasters, sans the 'bleep-bloop' voices & 'power-up' aspects - But alas, the Micromasters seem to be relegated to obscurity.

KalEl
3rd February 2013, 01:49 AM
Optimus: Caz hes prime! nuff said
Grimlock: Badass
Magnus: Big Tough guy!
Starscream: How can't you love him.
Junkions: Special mention from wife :P

Prime: im a big prime collector, he is heroic and reminded me of a superhero when i was a kid.

Shockwave: under used psychopath :)
Metroplex: Who doesn't want to see more of a city size monster.

Grimlock and any of the combiners

crankcase76
3rd February 2013, 11:26 PM
G1 transformers

My favourite characters would have to be Optimus prime, omega supreme.

Omega supreme as a toy, drawn to omega as he is the biggest of the autobots and the last resort in the struggle with the decepticons.

My disappointment would be with Trypticon as a toy as he had no transformation into a base like metroplex.

I would have liked to see more of shockwave in the series.