PDA

View Full Version : (JAN-2013) Entire Hasbro Generation 1 Era - Rate it

griffin
3rd January 2013, 02:01 AM
The Entire Era/Series as a whole, how does it rate in the world of Transformers:
- Best Ever
- One of the better ones
- Average
- Not very good
- I refuse to have anything to do with it

Ultra Mackness
3rd January 2013, 09:37 AM
For me,
:D:D Best Ever! :D:D

Starscream77
3rd January 2013, 09:40 AM
Best ever and always will be :D

Megatron
3rd January 2013, 09:53 AM
I refuse to have anything to do with it...

j/k :D

Best Series ever.

Until the '86 movie, then I refuse to have anything to do with it.

Sharky
3rd January 2013, 09:55 AM
i think it is a hard decision but i vited best ever but i think it is more to do with the sentimental side.

sure todays toys are engineered better and so on but my history growing up was with G1, cartoon comics stories toys, that is what made it the best ever

kup
3rd January 2013, 11:14 AM
Are we talking just about toys or the franchise as a whole?

Hursticon
5th January 2013, 06:01 PM
I think Sharky 'hit the nail on the head', for me at least, as the series holds a lot of Sentimental Value being the series I (And many others) grew up with until what is Objectionably IMO the 'Best Series Ever' came into existence - Beast Wars. :cool:

I therefore voted 'Average' based on the Cartoon solely (The title of the thread is slightly open to interpretation), as I feel that on a Narrative basis it's with the 80s Marvel G1 Comics that the best interpretation of the continuity resides. ;):)

klystron
5th January 2013, 07:19 PM
I voted "one of the better ones" cause I don't feel that any series is the best ever; each have strengthes & weaknesses; aspects that I really like & bits that I'm not fussed about.

griffin
5th January 2013, 08:40 PM
Are we talking just about toys or the franchise as a whole?

Poll question:

Hasbro Generation 1 - Rate the series as a whole

rocman12
9th January 2013, 04:36 PM
I love G1, but i rate it second behind RID

Bidoofdude
9th January 2013, 07:07 PM
Best ever, for sure!:cool:
Nostalgia is keeping just above Beast Wars. :p

crankcase76
12th January 2013, 09:16 PM
the one and only for me, as i would wait every morning before school for it to come on and watch. G1 is the start of it all.

BigTransformerTrev
14th January 2013, 12:09 PM
For me,
:D:D Best Ever! :D:D

Best ever and always will be :D

i think it is a hard decision but i vited best ever but i think it is more to do with the sentimental side.

sure todays toys are engineered better and so on but my history growing up was with G1, cartoon comics stories toys, that is what made it the best ever

Best ever, for sure!:cool:

the one and only for me, as i would wait every morning before school for it to come on and watch. G1 is the start of it all.

I agree with all these fine people! The whole reason I am loving the Generations toys so much is that they look like the characters from the G1 cartoon.

Lord_Zed
14th January 2013, 06:30 PM
Are we talking about the G1 cartoon? Or toys or what.

If it's the cartoon then I'd say when compiled together it is average, some good, and some horrible, horrible episodes.

Except the animated movie it was all kinds of win and still is.

griffin
15th January 2013, 12:47 AM
See post #9...

Trent
16th January 2013, 04:06 AM
I agree with Hursty, I voted 'one of the better ones'. And it is mainly nostalgia that got it that high up the list. While I loved it as a kid in recent years I find myself rather detatched from the G1 cartoon (except the 86movie) and the toys don't hold my interest the way they used to. But I still find the comics good and the G2 story arc while short, remains in my mind the best TF comic series ever penned.

As far as series go, the top of my list now would have to be Beast Wars. From a toy perspective, these days I'm getting my kicks from the classics/3rd party and Masterpiece lines, which are heading in some fantastic directions. But no matter what line you're into, it is a great time to be a TF fan!

gekisou
22nd January 2013, 11:50 PM
I voted 'One of the better ones' only becos I'm been rewatching all of the original cartoon series at the moment and while it has some horrible dialogue and horrible stories, it was not a bad series for a massive toy advertisement and there IS the nostalgia factor that prevents me from hating this.

Its not the best cos I personally prefer both Car Robot and Galaxy Force over this series.

Comic-wise, while I've read heaps of em, I'm not sure if I think the entire Marvel G1 run was really that good...

Sky Shadow
24th January 2013, 08:07 AM
Griffin - I think it's the word 'series' that's confusing people - it sounds like it's talking about the US G1 cartoon, when we suspect it's the entire G1 franchise we're meant to be reviewing.

(And... apparently I'm back after a month and a half of OTCA abstinence.)

griffin
24th January 2013, 03:09 PM
I was just thinking yesterday at work, if your month was up. I guess you made it.

I couldn't think of a better word to use for the entire Generation 1 "series"... I thought of "Era", but some of the later series were hardly an "era" (which suggests a long time).
If I didn't have any word used, people would have still been asking if it relates to the toys, the cartoon, or the comic.
I might use "entire" somewhere in the title, to hopefully make it less confusing.

Sky Shadow
24th January 2013, 03:55 PM
I was just thinking yesterday at work, if your month was up. I guess you made it.

Yep, and I actually didn't buy any Transformers for the whole month. I did accidentally forget what I was doing and bought the Geoff Senior cover of Regeneration #86 out of habit, but other than that I did okay. Masterpiece Sideswipe was already preordered and came in the mail but I haven't opened it yet. The only Transformer I've bought and opened since the month was up was Arms Micron Leo Prime because I couldn't resist a peg-legged pirate Transformer who came with a Micron of Moon. Again, since the month was over I've ordered a couple of carded G1s, Beast Hunters Soundwave and the Arms Micron Megatron with Hellflame Gul. And I caught up on my other missing Transformers comics once the month was up. The hardest part was that my four year-old nephew kept making my month without Tfwiki even more difficult by asking me questions like 'is there a new red Volkswagen Transformer?' 'How do they make new Autobots?' 'Is there a white Autobot with two swords?' 'Where can I get an Optimus Prime outfit?' 'In Robots in Disguise why is Optimus a fire truck?' 'Who are the Predacons?' 'How is transforming into a dinosaur less obvious than a giant robot walking around?' 'Where did I put Optimus Prime?' and 'Do Transformers poo?'

Seraphim Prime
26th January 2013, 08:08 AM
I'm not inclined to say Best Ever, as watching back over the cartoons, you realise how they were clearly designed for syndication, and the writing in each episode doesn't really hold up to today's standards (although that judgement is a little unfair as standards and the aim of television was a little different 30 years ago).

However it was the one that set the standard. Everything we've had ever since is all because of, and in some ways reflects, what came in G1. And as an older fan, only getting into the original comics now, thanks to the IDW reprints, all I can say is WOW!

The way the toy line was managed also seems to be better than it is managed these days as well. A 6-7 year toy line with minimal repeat of characters is virtually unheard in current toy practices, and is something I wish they could get back to in part.

KalEl
3rd February 2013, 01:41 AM
im a fan of g1 as a whole but its more of a nostalgia hit these days. The 86 movie is the best part for me, but im a beast guy.

Ravagecat
4th February 2013, 01:49 PM
The Transformers G1 series has certainly stood the test of time with more fans today than ever. I agree the cartoon series, comics and toys all had their flaws. However growing up, the Transformers series was/is definitely the most memorable series to me...

"Best Series ever" :cool:

Sinnertwin
7th February 2013, 11:22 PM
Ahhh, G1, memories, my brother taking me to Hoyts to watch the movie on the big screen, then taking me to Kmart and asking me which TF i'd like to take home. Some of the best memories of my childhood right there.

GoktimusPrime
8th February 2013, 01:36 PM
Did you watch it at Hoyts George St? Cos that's where I saw it. :) I've also seen the 2007 TF movie and Dark of the Moon at the same location (it's since become Event Cinemas) :D

Sinnertwin
8th February 2013, 06:30 PM
Did you watch it at Hoyts George St? Cos that's where I saw it. :) I've also seen the 2007 TF movie and Dark of the Moon at the same location (it's since become Event Cinemas) :D

Hey, it was at Fairfield Forum. It went on to become an independent cinema and then shut down. I still get a buZz when I walk past it. Kmart also used to have restaurants called Holly's. And Venture at Liverpool, next to the RsL. I'm sad thinking of it now :(