PDA

View Full Version : Hong Kong Trip Planning

Zippo
7th January 2013, 09:39 AM
Been heading overseas every 2 years for a few years now, but in 2011 I came over to Australia twice and because I was also unemployed I had to skip my planned trip in 2012.

Now that it is 2013, I plan to head away somewhere towards the end of the year (as I need time to save) and I am thinking that it was about time I visited Hong Kong.

This is where I need your assistance; what to do, what to see and more importantly where to shop for Transformers.

I have already consulted Heroic Decepticons excellent map of the Transformer shops and need to create my own containing the Department stores as well.

GoktimusPrime
7th January 2013, 10:08 AM
Maybe organise a small HK fan meet? It'd be cool for you and HD to meet up again at another meet in another country! :D I tried organising a fan meet when I went to HK in 2005... but alas nothing eventuated because I only knew of ONE TF fan in Hong Kong at the time, and our schedules didn't match up so we couldn't meet. :( But now there seems to be a more active community there. :) One great thing about doing a meet is that the local fans can be your guides and take you on informal guided tours to special collectable stores etc. That's what I experienced at last year's Osaka meet -- I found stores that I never would've found on my own (unless I just used HD's guide :p), and they offered me advice like telling me where I could haggle and letting me use their discount cards, but best of all, just having other people there to talk to about Transformers! (as you know, meeting and talking to other collectors about Transformers is what I always enjoy the most of out any meet :D)

#suggesting

Paulbot
7th January 2013, 01:39 PM
I stayed in the Mong Kok area. Made a good spot to hit the "northern" shops/arcades on HD's map, which I found really good, and it was an easy subway ride to the south shops. (My hotel was a bit pricey though as I was after "indulgence").

The shops you'd go for to look for TFs open late in the day, but also stay open late. There are a couple of TRUs around too which I don't think are on the map. I found it best to do a price scout first and then go back to the shops with the best prices per item.

Between jet lag (I'd flown in from Europe), heat and TF shopping I didn't get to see as much of the city as I would have liked. I visited Victoria Peak and rode the long pedestrian escalators, but that's about it. I wanted to do the chairlift across the water but ran out of time. I'd probably also check out the Disney park if you've never been to one of those.

griffin
7th January 2013, 01:47 PM
The Matrix section has an archive of links to stores and sightings in neighbouring countries (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=11586).

Zippo
7th January 2013, 06:35 PM
Cheers guys and thanks for the previous discussion link griffin.
I search, but I guess not well enough.