PDA

View Full Version : Universe Unicron In-Box Pics

Golden Phoenix
5th July 2008, 11:06 PM
Seibertron.com has reported on the first pictures of Universe Unicron in box that were posted on Actoys.net
Linky Linky (http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/first-pic-of-universe-unicron-in-box/13452/)

Appears to be a straight reproduction of Armada Unicron, but there might be some different paint apps

what do you guys reckon?

jaydisc
5th July 2008, 11:10 PM
For someone like me, a collector returned to the fold, who wasn't around for Armada, I think it's great and I'll get it. Unicron to me is as much a part of Classics as Rodimus is.

Awesome!

Gutsman Heavy
5th July 2008, 11:11 PM
I'm so there!

iceburn
5th July 2008, 11:12 PM
i reckon they didn't even bother to repaint him.
looks the same as the Armada Unicron.

Robzy
5th July 2008, 11:13 PM
Ha! Funny... i thought this might happen (I wish now that I had called it before - Dammit :mad::p)

I've already got the Armada one, but this looks like it will be mine too! :D

Paulbot
5th July 2008, 11:19 PM
In that picture it doesn't look any different from the Armada one at all, but the production one could differ.

I find it a little sad that Unicron is now a Decepticon instead of being evil in his own right.

ChlorHex
5th July 2008, 11:21 PM
Nice box art.
It's just too bad that they didn't even attempt a repaint or a variant colour scheme.
Well, if only they were gonna do a "Premium" variant (like the Movie toyline)... I'd buy it in a flash!

Robzy
5th July 2008, 11:24 PM
I find it a little sad that Unicron is now a Decepticon instead of being evil in his own right.+1

Well, if only they were gonna do a "Premium" variant (like the Movie toyline)... I'd buy it in a flash!Wait for the Henkei version ;)

Golden Phoenix
5th July 2008, 11:37 PM
Wait for the Henkei version ;)
I don't think they will. Are they doing the Cybertron Universe repaints?
If they do a Henkei version, where do you reckon the chrome would go. I think it would be awesome on the teeth in planet mode and all the little spikes.

Kyle
5th July 2008, 11:40 PM
I did not buy Unicron. Then I bought Primus and regretted not getting Unicron in store. Not going to miss out this. :)

dirge
5th July 2008, 11:48 PM
I'm fine with a straight reproduction, since I don't see a need to mess with Unicron. I don't mind them tweaking the original, of course. I wouldn't grab another Unicron either way, but I hope it remains the Unicron we know, for those such as jay who haven't got the Armada toy.

STL
5th July 2008, 11:55 PM
I have the Micron legend version of this but would dearly love a Classics version for MISB purposes. Very happy and estatic.

liegeprime
5th July 2008, 11:56 PM
Good for those collectors who missed out on the first run. UNicron doesnt need anything special added or removed, well they coud tweak the chest so it dont "open on its own". Meh on the colors, I know its the G1 original but I still prefer the "Dark Lord" color scheme released in Energon ( which is what I bought) as it really makes a more sinister impression, as the character should be - the ultimate evil in the TF lore!

GoktimusPrime
6th July 2008, 12:06 PM
I agree with Paulbot - why is it being marketed as a Decepticon? Armada Unicron was never marketed as a Decepticon. Then again, Primus was marketed as an Autobot - which is also technically incorrect. (-_-)

Pulse
6th July 2008, 02:05 PM
I thought everyone already had a Unicron? :confused:

Is this all the 25th anniversary line is going to be? Reissues of figures from various lines? :rolleyes:

I hope he doesn't become a shelfwarmer...

kup
6th July 2008, 05:06 PM
Archer,

Unicron IS NOT A DECEPTICON!:mad:

GoktimusPrime
6th July 2008, 05:23 PM
I thought everyone already had a Unicron?
Ditto, considering how recent Armada and Energon were. (-_-)

http://www.geocities.com/transfandomcomic/toypic_unicrons.jpg

Gutsman Heavy
6th July 2008, 05:51 PM
I don't have one! maybe cos' I sold mine, damn sellers remorse! YAY FOR HASBRO!

jaydisc
6th July 2008, 06:01 PM
I find it a little sad that Unicron is now a Decepticon instead of being evil in his own right.

Archer,

Unicron IS NOT A DECEPTICON!:mad:

I think it's just a simple matter of saving packaging costs.

Paulbot
6th July 2008, 06:17 PM
But they have to edit the packaging design to put the word Unicron in... I would think it easy to remove the words Decepticon at the same time? Oh well.

Pipesqueak
6th July 2008, 06:20 PM
Really disappointed they still went for the horrible Armada colours. The mould is great and has so much potential to be done in a dark, burnt orange with silver and black detailing. Unicron needs to be evil. So far, only the Energon version comes close to conveying that.

jaydisc
6th July 2008, 06:36 PM
Sometimes these things are just templates, but I guess with Unicron, the packaging is probably unique anyway.

Soundwarp
6th July 2008, 06:39 PM
For me this guy is a must have in my collection. I have the Armada one so i am happy though.

Zippo
6th July 2008, 07:17 PM
Good choice for those who missed. One of the better toys in the Armada toyline.

autobreadticon
6th July 2008, 07:25 PM
sigh to Hasbro...

i am now hoping a henkei version comes that with correct labelling on the box

GoktimusPrime
6th July 2008, 07:29 PM
I don't think the Armada colours are bad, but I agree that they could've given Universe Unicron a more G1-like colours scheme. But I also agree that the final product may vary from this early shot, so time will tell. :)

Either way, it's gotta be an improvement over Energon Unicron's horrific colours.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/512JHD601EL._SL500_AA280_.jpg "WhY mY ShOuLdErS hUrT?"

Pulse
6th July 2008, 07:35 PM
I wouldn't call Energon Unicron's colours horrific :confused:

I know Armada Unicron was supposed to be the G1 Unicron we never had but... to me (Yes, I know I'm a weirdo :p) Energon Unicron's colours make him look more like a realistic planet

Well, sort of... :rolleyes::D

Paulbot
6th July 2008, 07:38 PM
sigh to Hasbro...

i am now hoping a henkei version comes that with correct labelling on the box

As long as Unicron doesn't have a Decepticon symbol on the toy it's alright.

Thanatos
6th July 2008, 07:46 PM
To be honest, the Decepticon thing doesn't bother me enough to warrant not purchasing this figure. Especially when the I missed out on the Armada toy, and don't want to pay ebay prices.

Definately an excellent move on Hasbro's part in my humble opinion. The Live Action film really brough the whole thing together - since old fans and new can look back on old lines andd see something as great as this re-released.

jaydisc
6th July 2008, 07:52 PM
Definately an excellent move on Hasbro's part in my humble opinion.

I generally find Hasbro's three-pronged approach to be very clever. The Movie brought a lot of old collectors back (and added some new ones I'm sure). Universe is the line for fans, collectors and those appreciative of nostalgia, and Animated attempts to raise the next generation of fans.

kup
6th July 2008, 08:46 PM
To be honest, the Decepticon thing doesn't bother me enough to warrant not purchasing this figure. Especially when the I missed out on the Armada toy, and don't want to pay ebay prices.

Definately an excellent move on Hasbro's part in my humble opinion. The Live Action film really brough the whole thing together - since old fans and new can look back on old lines andd see something as great as this re-released.

If I did not already own the mold, it wouldn't prevent me from buying it either but it would sure as hell annoy me to have him in 'Decepticon' packaging. If I were a MIB collector it could turn me away though as for those collectors, packaging is important.

If it did come with 'con symbols however, you would see me rubbing them off in no time with Isocol.

sifun
6th July 2008, 08:52 PM
I reckon they're just all the repackaged returns from all the unsold stock in stores..

kup
6th July 2008, 09:06 PM
I reckon they're just all the repackaged returns from all the unsold stock in stores..

hmmm...Interesting theory there.

Golden Phoenix
6th July 2008, 10:16 PM

It is scary that your theory is plausible.....

STL
6th July 2008, 11:12 PM
I was thinking today while working that they might even possibly repaint Energon Omega Supreme in G1 colours now that they've done this. Anything's possible, I guess.

lcz128
7th July 2008, 06:01 AM
I also have the Micron Legend one. Haha- And I bought it at a price comparable to some of the ones in-store! Woots!

I was thinking today while working that they might even possibly repaint Energon Omega Supreme in G1 colours now that they've done this. Anything's possible, I guess.

Hrmmz- I would so love that. This statement has encouraged me to wait and NOT shell out more money on a loose, missing-one-missile-but-still-expensive auction of Energon OS on the-ebay.

When this one comes out, I hope it eventually gets heavily discounted. Do you know how good he would be for custom fodder!??! Especially - say for possible combiners!!! :D

i_amtrunks
7th July 2008, 08:50 AM

I do not doubt your theory for a second.

I'm happy that they are re-releasing this figure, I got into the hobby during Energon, when the only place to find Unicron was in Myer, and there was no way I was going to pay $160 for the figure.

Now they need only re-release Energon omega and I'll be very happy!

(Can anyone else also see a re-release of Cybertron Supreme Starsream, there were a tonne of those figures sent back to Hasbro. :p)

jaydisc
7th July 2008, 08:54 AM
Yeah, more proof that hunting vintage TFs just isn't worth it.

Did Unicron shelf warm during previous releases?

Pulse
7th July 2008, 09:56 AM
I got into the hobby during Energon, when the only place to find Unicron was in Myer, and there was no way I was going to pay $160 for the figure.

Same here, but I actually found my Unicron in DJ's with a $150 price tag marked down to $70! :)

Needless to say, Unicron ended up coming home with me that day... :)

Robzy
7th July 2008, 11:09 AM
Did Unicron shelf warm during previous releases?I don't remember seeing too many of them shelf-warming, but I'm sure they probably did. Transformers wasn't the "craze-of-the-times" like it is now! Also, I'm sure a lot of parents didn't want to spend that much on a hunk of plastic.

Having said that, I grabbed mine the first time I saw it! :p

Paulbot
7th July 2008, 11:10 AM
In one of the Big W 'big toy sales' a few years back both Energon Omega and Unicron were down to something like $70 and they flew off the shelves. I don't remember Armada Unicron shelfwarming that much but I also don't recall seeing that many of it. I got mine on special in a previous Target 'big toy sale'.

STL
7th July 2008, 11:17 AM
I wouldn't call Energon Unicron's colours horrific :confused:

I know Armada Unicron was supposed to be the G1 Unicron we never had but... to me (Yes, I know I'm a weirdo :p) Energon Unicron's colours make him look more like a realistic planet

Not necessarily more realistic for me but I absolutely agree. Energon Unicron's colours are pretty downright bad@$$. Not G1 but heck it's a creepy paintjob. I recall finding him for $50 from a guy in a random collectible shop and then reserving it for Borgeman who didn't have a Unicron. I so regret not buying it for myself now b/c it's pretty pricey these days and I do want one. :(

DigDug
7th July 2008, 12:42 PM
The movie hadn't 'happened' the last time Unicron made an appearance either, so I would support the 'could be popular this time around' view. That, and I didn't get one before, so I'm definitely getting one this time around :D

I bet the initial price point will be painful though, at least until sale time comes around. I'm getting visions of Unicron in planet mode inhaling and devouring the wallets of the toy collecting citizens of earth (shortly before making his home in their living rooms... :rolleyes:)

GoktimusPrime
7th July 2008, 02:37 PM
Armada Unicron sold for $145 - which was reasonable. Hmm... how much was Primus? $150?

MV75
7th July 2008, 02:45 PM
Got my Primus for $99.xx on release day at kmart.

Unlike supreme starscream, it was a popular figure that didn't have the chance of being heavily discounted down to $69.

I want a unicron, I havn't got one yet. And I'd get it like I did Primus if they did that again.

Funny how a Unicron was announced, I was thinking of the very figure in a way that I reckon they should do a 1986 movie cast release of toys. Not all of them, but the main characters that were more or less introduced in the movie. Put Energon unicron in and put (what we suspect they will make), an animated arcee, and the rest of the figures original G1. :)
________
HARLEY-DAVIDSON EASY RIDER (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Harley-Davidson_Easy_Rider)

DigDug
7th July 2008, 03:40 PM
Armada Unicron sold for $145 - which was reasonable. Hmm... how much was Primus? $150?

$150 reasonable for a bunch of moulded plastic? I'm not so sure about that one ;)

That is exactly the price point I had in mind though. The big surprise to me is that Primus and Unicron were so expensive to start with! I never saw them for so much, but wasn't shopping at Myer back then either...

Borgeman
7th July 2008, 03:54 PM
Not necessarily more realistic for me but I absolutely agree. Energon Unicron's colours are pretty downright bad@$$. Not G1 but heck it's a creepy paintjob. I recall finding him for $50 from a guy in a random collectible shop and then reserving it for Borgeman who didn't have a Unicron. I so regret not buying it for myself now b/c it's pretty pricey these days and I do want one. :(

:D

George

iceburn
7th July 2008, 04:13 PM
once again, TFs have leaked into the ebay market from the toy factories in China...
don't seem like there's any change in the colours....*debate...to get or not to get*

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Transformers-Universe-Classic-Series-Unicron-Misb_W0QQitemZ280243333106QQihZ018QQcategoryZ15534 3QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

STL
7th July 2008, 04:57 PM
*debate...to get or not to get*

Man, you know the answer to that.

iceburn
7th July 2008, 05:20 PM
get???? *haha* I probably won't unless it has repainted (even slightly).

griffin
8th July 2008, 08:33 AM

Shhhhhh, don't say that. If Hasbro think it is reasonable, they won't hesitate to price it so. Remember, Supreme class in America is about AU$60 (US$50 plus tax) at current exchange rate. Anything more than that here is Hasbro AU profiteering. :mad:

i_amtrunks
8th July 2008, 09:57 AM
Whatever Roll Out Supreme Animated Prime goes for is what Unicron will go for. :(

kup
8th July 2008, 10:17 AM
Shhhhhh, don't say that. If Hasbro think it is reasonable, they won't hesitate to price it so. Remember, Supreme class in America is about AU$60 (US$50 plus tax) at current exchange rate. Anything more than that here is Hasbro AU profiteering. :mad:

This is one of the reasons of why I find myself largely abandoning the Aus Retail market and moving to order things from overseas such as HLJ, even if the toy is exactly the same.

Its pure nonsense how expensive things are in this country and I don't understand why people don't look at other alternatives when often you can get the same item from over seas at a much lesser cost than retail and that includes shipping!

I also started to do the same practice when it comes to games. Its ridiculous how a game can cost $30 in the US but here it can go for like $110

GoktimusPrime
8th July 2008, 11:05 AM
I still think it's funny how Henkei is cheaper than Classics even with shipping! Yeah, I think I'll be skipping Universe/Classics 2.0 and wait for the nicer-looking/cheaper Henkeis instead!

jaydisc
8th July 2008, 04:16 PM
Kup and Gok, are you comparing to local sale prices? I find the best overseas deals only come within a $1 or $2 (either way) per figure of retail sale price here, making it hardly worth it for me.

kup
8th July 2008, 11:06 PM
Kup and Gok, are you comparing to local sale prices? I find the best overseas deals only come within a $1 or $2 (either way) per figure of retail sale price here, making it hardly worth it for me.

Yep, retail compared to overseas. Often my savings are up to $10 per figure (sometimes more). When it comes to games I can be saving from 50% to 70% of the price!

griffin
9th July 2008, 12:26 AM
Comparing to retail is the most reliable, because you can't always wait for a sale, or expect that the particular figures you want is still available when a sale does happen. I just couldn't rely on sales to get all the figures I wanted, and even the imported prices were still close enough to sale prices, for me to prefer the reliability of a bulk order from HK or US. I do like toy hunting, but all those months at the start of the year with futile, wasted driving and searching of stores, ended up making the arrival of the big boxes from the post office more fun.
I think with the proportion of figures I would have to buy full price here (store exclusives, or just no sales to get them discounted before they are gone), and the figures not released here that I have to import anyway, I think I end up saving money in the long run by getting just about everything from overseas now.

jaydisc
9th July 2008, 07:35 AM
Yep, retail compared to overseas. Often my savings are up to $10 per figure (sometimes more). When it comes to games I can be saving from 50% to 70% of the price!

Forgive me for repeating, but are you talking about retail SALE price, e.g. $20ish per deluxe, $35/37ish for Voyager? If so, I'd love to see an example. If you're comparing to [recommended] retail ($27/30 per deluxe, $40-50 per Voyager), then I agree with the up-to-$10-savings per figure (as that's potentially the same discount afforded by sale prices).

Comparing to retail is the most reliable, because you can't always wait for a sale, or expect that the particular figures you want is still available when a sale does happen.

I'm not suggesting everyone else does, but myself and many others here do compare to sale price when evaluating an overseas purchase. Personally, I have strategies that deal with delays or lack of stock. I'm just trying to clarify the baseline that Kup is comparing against.

I think (sticking to the deluxe/voyager paradigm), the ranking of high to low would be something like:

1. TRU/Myer retail
2. Kmart/Target retail
3. TRU/Myer sale
4. Big W retail
5. Kmart/Target sale
6. Overseas (RK/BBTS)
7. Big W sale

With the order of 5, 6 & 7 fluctuating and only being within a $1 or $2 of each other.

GoktimusPrime
9th July 2008, 07:52 AM
Hypothesis: Henkei are cheaper than Classics

Analysis:
Henkei Astrotrain:
http://www.takaratomy.co.jp/products/TF/products/henkei/lineup/d03.html
RRP = 2100JPY (approx. $21*)
Classics Astrotrain RRP = $30
Henkei Megatron:
http://www.takaratomy.co.jp/products/TF/products/henkei/lineup/d01.html
RRP = 3150JPY (approx. $31*)
Classics Megatron = $45

Conclusion: Logic dictates that Henkei are cheaper than classics

"Ultimately, I serve only one master... pure logic!"http://www.killgary.com/forum/images/avatars/gallery/Transformers/Avatars_Transformers_Shockwave.jpg
(Spotlight: Shockwave)
___
*currency conversions according to XE.com (http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert.cgi)

iceburn
9th July 2008, 08:29 AM
gok..your analysis is incorrect such that shipping has not been taken into consideration.
The following is quote for just 1 single toy purchase:
Henkei Astrotrain = ~$26 (based on RK's price)
Classics Astrotrain RRP = Also $26

The same goes for Voyagers. The retail price of overseas online store would end up the same as what is for normal price here.

kup
9th July 2008, 09:07 AM
gok..your analysis is incorrect such that shipping has not been taken into consideration.
The following is quote for just 1 single toy purchase:
Henkei Astrotrain = ~$26 (based on RK's price)
Classics Astrotrain RRP = Also $26

The same goes for Voyagers. The retail price of overseas online store would end up the same as what is for normal price here.

The norm for Classics Deluxes are about $30 with Voyagers being $50 at initial retail cost.

Henkei are much cheaper with combined shipping than retail. If you buy it in single item orders they are about the same which is still a freaking shame on the part of Aus retailers.

BTW the prices above are non-sale as Griffin mentioned, waiting for sales is not reliable as you don't have the option of getting the figures you want, just what is available during sale time.

jaydisc
9th July 2008, 09:09 AM
BTW the prices above are non-sale as Griffin mentioned, waiting for sales is not reliable as you don't have the option of getting the figures you want, just what is available during sale time.

Well, if you're comparing to non-sale prices, I completely agree. That's exactly what I was trying to clarify. Me, Ice, and others, are happy to wait for sales, and thus better prices, and we have [legal] tactics for ensuring we get the figures we want.

EDIT:

The norm for Classics Deluxes are about $30 with Voyagers being $50 at initial retail cost.

Also, I think Animated (nearly across the board) and recent TRU pricing has shown that we should be doing better than your quoted figures.

STL
9th July 2008, 10:12 AM
I'm with Iceburn and Jaydisc. I have not bought a toy at full RRP for a long time. For me:

Deluxes: $19.30 to $22
Voyagers: $30 to $36
Leaders: $70-$75
Supreme: $75-85

Of course with the Supreme category there's really only been Primus, Ult BB and Movie Leaders which is like 4 figures. But still I'm confident the same will apply to the 3 leaders.

O/S is still a tad more expensive even if u combine shipping. The cheapest I've grabbed the Henkei at was in a massive order from RK and that was $22 -$23 a figure.

So I'd say that retail sale here will do u well and patience will do even better. :)

Pulse
9th July 2008, 10:19 AM
while the Yankees pay absolute peanuts compared to us (& they still whinge & complain about it :()

STL
9th July 2008, 10:23 AM
while the Yankees pay absolute peanuts compared to us (& they still whinge & complain about it :()

There will be a column on this down the line actually...

Pulse
9th July 2008, 10:28 AM
There will be a column on this down the line actually...

Oooooh, I'm becoming a bit of a mind reader/fortune teller :p

Here's my latest prediction = All your TFs will shortly be finding a new home... :D

Robzy
9th July 2008, 04:11 PM
I actually found and bought my Henkei Astrotrain in a local store (Shin Tokyo) for around $24. This was cheaper than buying and shipping him for RK - which was around $28 IIRC.

Buying O/S is definitely not always cheaper!

STL
9th July 2008, 11:17 PM
Oooooh, I'm becoming a bit of a mind reader/fortune teller :p

Here's my latest prediction = All your TFs will shortly be finding a new home... :D

and when that happens so will my crowbar... right up where the sun don't shine. :p

Pulse
9th July 2008, 11:31 PM
You're gonna have to ask the Checkout Chick where that is... ;)