PDA

View Full Version : Computron Giftset scam

griffin
12th January 2013, 12:12 AM
Saw this on tfw (http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-news-rumors/759187-ebay-scam-alert-mib-computron-gift-sets-fake-repro-boxes.html)...

Some people are replicating Computron giftset boxes (box, styro, paperwork), putting a loose set of (good condition) Technobot toys in it, and selling them on ebay as actual Gen1 giftsets.

It's just not safe to buy anything Gen1 anymore, with so many fake toys and/or packaging out there now... :(

kup
12th January 2013, 02:07 AM
Saw this on tfw (http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-news-rumors/759187-ebay-scam-alert-mib-computron-gift-sets-fake-repro-boxes.html)...

Some people are replicating Computron giftset boxes (box, styro, paperwork), putting a loose set of (good condition) Technobot toys in it, and selling them on ebay as actual Gen1 giftsets.

It's just not safe to buy anything Gen1 anymore, with so many fake toys and/or packaging out there now... :(

They do that because everyone recognizes that there is a very healthy market for classic characters and toys...except Hasbro.

Good thing that the box has differences that can be easy to spot. However from my own observation of people who buy G1 KOs, they don't seem to care if it's legit or not. At the Parra fair, they even get annoyed if you mention it or give you a 'don't care' expression. On the Internet, I have seen people saying stuff like 'It's just as good'.

Yeah there are those who get caught and buys the KO unawares but I find the type of people who don't care or deliberately buy KOs to be more common at least from what I can observe.

Jetfire in the sky
27th January 2013, 02:35 PM
As I think about this more, I can see why people deliberately buy ko's. To have that "experience" of opening a "G1" toy, to play with it or give to their kids, or worst of all add it to their collection. The thing is they cost about as much as an original! I can't stand them, they are a thorn in my side. And almost every time I think about it I wonder why hasn't Has/Tak put a stop to what is becoming a high $ making market.

griffin
27th January 2013, 03:47 PM
It does amaze me that they haven't done anything about it, especially with such poor sales of their own products, it would be a perfect time to use it as an excuse, claiming that it is a factor (even if it isn't).
But Hasbro seems to be the most negligent global entity in securing their property (names and/or likenesses are their property) from being exploited or profited from, and people defend it as if it is okay, just because there are occasionally better results than the owner of the property and character concepts.
Are there any other toy franchises/brands that have this same amount of counterfeit toys and unauthorised toys based on recognised character properties? I can't think of any, but am not as familiar with other toylines as I am with this one.
Although, when venturing into related, long-lasting toylines and toy brands (like Star Wars, GIJoe, Marvel, DC), I don't find a big proportion of illegal or unauthorised items like you do when you look on Transformers fansites. Lately when looking on global TFs fansites, and even our own daily postings listing, there is a huge amount of content that isn't "Transformers" products.
But the fake reproductions are a scourge I despise, for often being used intentionally to fool people, and then end up in circulation, making it difficult for people who want the real thing, to be sure they are buying the real thing.

Jetfire in the sky
1st February 2013, 06:03 AM
It does amaze me that they haven't done anything about it, especially with such poor sales of their own products, it would be a perfect time to use it as an excuse, claiming that it is a factor (even if it isn't).
But Hasbro seems to be the most negligent global entity in securing their property (names and/or likenesses are their property) from being exploited or profited from, and people defend it as if it is okay, just because there are occasionally better results than the owner of the property and character concepts.
Are there any other toy franchises/brands that have this same amount of counterfeit toys and unauthorised toys based on recognised character properties? I can't think of any, but am not as familiar with other toylines as I am with this one.
Although, when venturing into related, long-lasting toylines and toy brands (like Star Wars, GIJoe, Marvel, DC), I don't find a big proportion of illegal or unauthorised items like you do when you look on Transformers fansites. Lately when looking on global TFs fansites, and even our own daily postings listing, there is a huge amount of content that isn't "Transformers" products.
But the fake reproductions are a scourge I despise, for often being used intentionally to fool people, and then end up in circulation, making it difficult for people who want the real thing, to be sure they are buying the real thing.
We should make a gang ;-)
To add to your great point, I find it more amazing that Hasbro aren't doing diddly especially since the movies were released and the brand once again took off. Even Tak/Tom could get in on it with the MP knockoffs which haven't taken off on eBay but when I saw them in Singapore I had to look pretty close to see that they weren't genuine. Anyway what can we do for these toys that we love so much :(

Bidoofdude
2nd February 2013, 07:58 PM
We should make a gang ;-)
To add to your great point, I find it more amazing that Hasbro aren't doing diddly especially since the movies were released and the brand once again took off. Even Tak/Tom could get in on it with the MP knockoffs which haven't taken off on eBay but when I saw them in Singapore I had to look pretty close to see that they weren't genuine. Anyway what can we do for these toys that we love so much :(

Grrrrr.
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20060808044831/transformers/images/thumb/6/60/DancitronGang.jpg/200px-DancitronGang.jpg
:p

Jetfire in the sky
3rd February 2013, 02:54 PM
LMAO!! Love it

reillyd
1st March 2013, 07:18 PM
I would think Batman and Spiderman would be the most ripped off in turns of sheer volume. Every single dodgy market stall I see that sells toys seems to have them, in some garish and bizarre products and styles. Usually very flimsy toys too. I did hear a customs guy though saying Disney products were, but they have stronger ip programs and work hand in hand with customs.

Maybe they need examples of KO and reporting to Hasbro customer service?