PDA

View Full Version : IDW Mars Attacks the Transformers Preview

i_amtrunks
23rd January 2013, 11:10 PM
This is as good a place as any to post the preview for Mars Attacks the Transformers (http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/mars-attacks-the-transformers-preview/26605/) comic, which is out tomorrow apparently.

Be warned of two things:
1: it is written by Shane McCarthy so anyone not from 1985 does not exist.
2: the chins is this issue make Animateds look miniscule and anything drawn by Roche normal.

Even with those things, it looks like a funny one shot.

Paulbot
23rd January 2013, 11:30 PM
This is as good a place as any to post the preview for Mars Attacks the Transformers (http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/mars-attacks-the-transformers-preview/26605/) comic, which is out tomorrow apparently.

Be warned of two things:
2: the chins is this issue make Animateds look miniscule and anything drawn by Roche normal.

If you were to squint some of the details away, this could be happening after the end of Dreamwave's Transformers (first) #6 :)

It doesn't look too original in comparison to the Infestation two-parter.

SuspectimusPrime
23rd January 2013, 11:45 PM

Be warned of two things:

Glanced through the preview and think I can safely skip. Does Shane McCarthy base all his writings off the maybe 5 half-episodes of G1 Season 1 he's seen?

i_amtrunks
24th January 2013, 12:13 AM
If you were to squint some of the details away, this could be happening after the end of Dreamwave's Transformers (first) #6 :)

It doesn't look too original in comparison to the Infestation two-parter.

It does have that blocky feel to it, doesn't it?

This could have been a really fun 2-4 part Alternate Universe story in the right hands. While I get that it is only meant to be a joke one off comic, it could have been a hilariously over the top mini and made a little more money for IDW.

It's a shame IDW keep employing McCarthy, his writing is worse than bad fanfiction.

Paulbot
24th January 2013, 12:21 AM
It does have that blocky feel to it, doesn't it?

The colours and look of the damaged city too, plus the familiar bots and the impression of "G1 cartoon was great but it needs to be more violent".

Hmm. That also sounds like my reaction to the preview of AHM #1 too.

I never got "Mars Attacks", hated the movie, only knew about the cards from Wizard magazine, so this is something I'd have no interest in regardless.

Ploughmans Lunch
24th January 2013, 10:04 AM
This could have been a really fun 2-4 part Alternate Universe story in the right hands. While I get that it is only meant to be a joke one off comic, it could have been a hilariously over the top mini and made a little more money for IDW.

Nope.

griffin
24th January 2013, 02:06 PM
A short creator interview has been posted up (http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/mars-attacks-the-transformers-creator-commentary/26615/) on the Transformers Facebook page, of the writer, artist and colourist.

i_amtrunks
24th January 2013, 02:27 PM
Oh wow.

It is awful.

I like tongue in cheek, obvious nods to silly/stupid humour, which is what this comic does try to provide but fails everytime. I know it would be hard to do a one shot self contained crossover comic, but this comic was more or less stolen from the G1 sunbow cartoon.

All your geewun favourites return for a single line or panel (bar Prime and Optimus) cracking jokes and puns and fanservice galore. Again, I get it is meant to be a nod to the cartoon, but it felt so forced. I didnt enjoy it, and am glad I bought it digitally rather than on paper.

I dont mind the art, but the inconsistencies bugged me. It is easy to tell who is who at least.

Definitely something only for the completionists.

Megatron
24th January 2013, 02:36 PM
Spoiler alert:
So... Megs and the Decepticons are easily defeated with no explanation, with help from the good ol' US army no doubt (only to get miraculously saved a few minutes later by.. aliens). Yeah, very convenient for the opening. :mad::rolleyes:

Also, the expressions/faces are ..ugly.

Sharky
25th January 2013, 09:51 PM
i didnt mind it a bit of light hearted stupidness...

i mean it is sunbow, its mars attacks and the puns at spike were funny, the boots etc

i wouldnt read it as a series but it is one of those "Pallette cleansers" that you read going between avengers and battyman books...

The_Damned
25th January 2013, 09:58 PM
i dont normally buy comics but this one interests me. I liked movie so the cross over into transformers interests me.

anyone know a place to order the comic online?

Sharky
25th January 2013, 10:29 PM
i dont normally buy comics but this one interests me. I liked movie so the cross over into transformers interests me.

anyone know a place to order the comic online?

try www.kingscomics.com

popculturepooka
26th January 2013, 11:27 AM
This was good fun reading. Loved that Cosmos had something to do and the martians complimenting spike on his fashion.

BigTransformerTrev
26th January 2013, 01:36 PM
Haven't read this comic yet but looking forward to it! I love tongue-in-cheek humor, and the preview I saw of Spike getting yelled at for his boots and Ironhide slapping CJ over the back of his head with his own arm is right up my alley!

Megatron
12th February 2013, 06:28 PM
I got this today... and I'll admit I was too harsh on my first impression with the preview.

Reading it fully, I realized that this is actually a parody of sorts and I found it quite funny. I love some of the one-liners. :D So surprise, surprise... I actually enjoyed this comic (for once). It would have been nice if they hadn't parodied the expressions so much, but oh well, better that than disappointing writing. :)