PDA

View Full Version : Should i get Mp-13 ???

Waxpython
29th January 2013, 08:34 PM
I've seen him on robot kingdom for 170 dollars plus shipping and i've been considering purchasing him to those who have him is he worth it and are their any flaws with the figure ?

Or should i just wait for the hasbro release as the takara version doesn't really have anything special like extra cassettes.

GoktimusPrime
29th January 2013, 08:42 PM
For that price? No way. I paid 12072JPY ($127.35) for mine, and that's the Amazon Exclusive with the extra Energon Cubes. I personally wouldn't pay over $130 for MP13... if you can't find a cheaper one, I'd just wait for a Hasbro release. I would be quite surprised if Hasbro didn't do it. As someone else (I think it was Paulbot) pointed out on another thread, Hasbro has released every main Masterpiece mould-character that Takara[TOMY] have ever released (except for special variants and Megatron for legal reasons).

I sometimes get the Japanese version of MPs, but other times I skip them and hope for a Hasbro version. It all depends on whether or not you feel that you "must" have this toy. For me Soundwave is a "must," so I've bitten the bullet and gotten the more expensive TakaraTOMY version. But Red Alert isn't a "must" for me, so I'm skipping him and hoping for a local Hasbro release in the future. I'm still undecided about Prowl, Smokescreen and Bluestreak. :/

The Hasbro versions usually don't look as nice as TakaraTOMY's - but especially with recent releases, they are much cheaper. e.g. Hasbro's recent MP Optimus Prime was nearly half the price of TakTOM's RRP! (and that's not even including shipping) :eek: So yeah... if you feel that you "must" have this toy, try to find it cheaper and consider getting the Japanese version. But if you're not feeling that "burning desire," then I'd wait for the Hasbro version. :)

Edit: Looks like Hasbro WILL be releasing a local version here around September. My guess is that it will be an imported TakaraTOMY version (given the incredibly short time frame between the JP release - Hasbro usually releases their version about a year later)
http://otca.com.au/boards/showpost.php?p=337754&postcount=26

ILikeSoundwave
29th January 2013, 09:13 PM
For that price? No way. I paid 12072JPY ($127.35) for mine, and that's the Amazon Exclusive with the extra Energon Cubes. I personally wouldn't pay over $130 for MP13... if you can't find a cheaper one, I'd just wait for a Hasbro release. I would be quite surprised if Hasbro didn't do it. As someone else (I think it was Paulbot) pointed out on another thread, Hasbro has released every main Masterpiece mould-character that Takara[TOMY] have ever released (except for special variants and Megatron for legal reasons).

I sometimes get the Japanese version of MPs, but other times I skip them and hope for a Hasbro version. It all depends on whether or not you feel that you "must" have this toy. For me Soundwave is a "must," so I've bitten the bullet and gotten the more expensive TakaraTOMY version. But Red Alert isn't a "must" for me, so I'm skipping him and hoping for a local Hasbro release in the future. I'm still undecided about Prowl, Smokescreen and Bluestreak. :/

The Hasbro versions usually don't look as nice as TakaraTOMY's - but especially with recent releases, they are much cheaper. e.g. Hasbro's recent MP Optimus Prime was nearly half the price of TakTOM's RRP! (and that's not even including shipping) :eek: So yeah... if you feel that you "must" have this toy, try to find it cheaper and consider getting the Japanese version. But if you're not feeling that "burning desire," then I'd wait for the Hasbro version. :)

Edit: Looks like Hasbro WILL be releasing a local version here around September. My guess is that it will be an imported TakaraTOMY version (given the incredibly short time frame between the JP release - Hasbro usually releases their version about a year later)

Where did you get yours???

Waxpython
29th January 2013, 09:38 PM
snip

good point i don't need him so i will wait

Tetsuwan Convoy
29th January 2013, 09:42 PM

He got his straight from Amazon.co.jp I'd guess.

I'd probably wait as well.

But I didn't:o

But I didn't pay $170 either. I now hope that Hasbro don't whip out something SUPER awesome with their release now. Like a cassette version of that little drone thing. Man that would make me rage.

GoktimusPrime
29th January 2013, 10:02 PM

He got his straight from Amazon.co.jp I'd guess.
^Correct. :)

For that price? No way. I paid 12072JPY ($127.35) for mine, and that's the Amazon Exclusive with the extra Energon Cubes.
Although apparently the Asian exclusive version of MP13 also comes with the same extra Cubes as the Amazon version, and also comes with an additional collectible coin that the Amazon ver. doesn't come with.

Bidoofdude
29th January 2013, 10:06 PM
Maybe don't post a whole thread. I recommend the decision thread.:cool::D
If you want it that bad, go for it if you think it's worth it.:D
Like Gok said, wait for a possible later release (now known)by Hasbro if you're not too obsessed with the toy.

Waxpython
29th January 2013, 10:15 PM
Maybe don't post a whole thread. I recommend the decision thread.:cool::D
If you want it that bad, go for it if you think it's worth it.:D
Like Gok said, wait for a possible later release (now known)by Hasbro if you're not too obsessed with the toy.

but new threads are way easier to find if someone wants to know if mp-13 is worth it he's going to find this thread and yes I'm not too obsessed with the toy I'm a patient man.

Bidoofdude
29th January 2013, 10:18 PM
but new threads are way easier to find if someone wants to know if mp-13 is worth it he's going to find this thread and yes I'm not too obsessed with the toy I'm a patient man.

Well said. I see your point.
Yeah, this looks like the way to go if you're not TOO over the moon with it.:D
I LOVE how he looks but he's a little steep for me in terms of price, so I'll stick to an eventual Hasbro release, which so far looks to be in July this year.
I actually think this will look really nice with Fans Toys MP Shockwave on a shelf.:cool:

Tetsuwan Convoy
29th January 2013, 10:40 PM
^Correct. :)

OOh! Do I win a prize?

:D;):p

GoktimusPrime
29th January 2013, 11:13 PM
OOh! Do I win a prize?
:D;):p
Here ya go (http://bmj2k.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/no-prize.jpg) ;)

Waxpython
29th January 2013, 11:29 PM

for some reason i was expecting a screamer.

Tetsuwan Convoy
30th January 2013, 02:24 AM

Better than what I expected! Thanks:D;)

Shirokaze
30th January 2013, 09:27 AM
If it makes the decision any easier, it appears that RK is sold out.

I would still try and track one down though. Who knows how difficult Soundwave will be to get a hold of when TRU does bring it out, or whether he'll have an acceptable paint scheme.

He'll probably retail for $149.99, so a $20 difference to get him 6 months earlier without any variables to worry about seems worth it to me.

Waxpython
30th January 2013, 04:49 PM
If it makes the decision any easier, it appears that RK is sold out.

I would still try and track one down though. Who knows how difficult Soundwave will be to get a hold of when TRU does bring it out, or whether he'll have an acceptable paint scheme.

He'll probably retail for $149.99, so a $20 difference to get him 6 months earlier without any variables to worry about seems worth it to me.

correction soundwave will be 80 dollars just like any other hasbro masterpiece.

Bidoofdude
30th January 2013, 05:58 PM
He's about as big as Optimus, so I'm guessing around $150 retail which is what we got for Optimus, but he had a trailer, so you never know.
It really depends on if he's just the Takara version or not. If so, he'll be around the $200 mark.:cool::eek:

UltraMarginal
30th January 2013, 06:21 PM
another question would be "will Hasbro include the other 4 cassettes?" Making him much more desireable and also allowing them to charge a higher value.
I think they'd have a hard time marketing the cassettes on their own here. potentially not bothering, unless they do include them with soundwave.

I'm hoping to get the Hasbro release, but in the mean time I'm tossing up as to whether i should pre-order the cassette pairs, just to make sure I have them.

liegeprime
30th January 2013, 06:28 PM
Ummm, I kinda disagree on you with the MP cassettes there Ultramarginal. I think if you sell em off as a fourpack - or even the existing two pack the cassettrons would sell like hotcakes... although it will depend on pricing since these are of the same size as that of the G1 cassettes.

With any luck if they do the cassettes they'd skrimp on the packaging as usual but pricepoint would be the same as ever. Hoping for a 4 pack though. Or, they might surprise us with a ratbat.

Waxpython
30th January 2013, 08:44 PM
He's about as big as Optimus, so I'm guessing around $150 retail which is what we got for Optimus, but he had a trailer, so you never know.
It really depends on if he's just the Takara version or not. If so, he'll be around the $200 mark.:cool::eek:

Rodimus was the same as Optimus don't forget and he was 80 dollars same with Thundercracker ,Optimus just had his trailer that bumped up the cost trust me. :cool:

Bidoofdude
30th January 2013, 08:47 PM
Rodimus was around $100 here, IIRC. $20 isn't that much money anyway.

GoktimusPrime
30th January 2013, 09:16 PM
$80 is a rare price for a Hasbro MP. I think Ultra Magnus was $80... Rodimus was $80, but Starscream was $99, Grimlock was $150, MP04 was $250 (or more?), Hasbro MP10 was $150.

Rodimus was around $100 here, IIRC.
I paid $80 for my Rodimus, then I saw him drop down to $60. Don't recall ever seeing him for $100.

$20 isn't that much money anyway.
:eek: :eek: :eek: Do you... earn your money or is it an allowance? Cos $20 is a fair amount of money to me and certainly not something I'd idly throw about!

5FDP
30th January 2013, 09:19 PM
He was $80 (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=11704&highlight=rodimus). TRU later tried to flog him off for $60 because they weren't moving off the store shelves all that fast.

Bidoofdude
30th January 2013, 09:19 PM
$80 is a rare price for a Hasbro MP. I think Ultra Magnus was $80... Rodimus was $80, but Starscream was $99, Grimlock was $150, MP04 was $250 (or more?), Hasbro MP10 was $150.

I paid $80 for my Rodimus, then I saw him drop down to $60. Don't recall ever seeing him for $100.

:eek: :eek: :eek: Do you... earn your money or is it an allowance? Cos $20 is a fair amount of money to me and certainly not something I'd idly throw about!

I meant as in it doesn't make too much of a difference on an expensive deal, although saving that amount makes you feel good.;)
I earn my money, on a VERY small basis. Normally takes me like a month to get around deluxe pricing. ($30)
Yes, I almost certainly wouldn't idly throw around $20. I'd value that money quite well. It really depends on the item, really.

griffin
31st January 2013, 02:42 AM
Price was confirmed to be $150 for the Hasbro Soundwave (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?p=338098#post338098), which is the same as Optimus.

GoktimusPrime
31st January 2013, 10:25 AM
That's a fantastic price! :) MP13 retails in Japan for 16590JPY ($175) - so this'd make the Australian RRP cheaper than Japan's, and - if it is an import of MP13 as I suspect - even better value! :D

Waxpython
31st January 2013, 11:11 AM
Price was confirmed to be $150 for the Hasbro Soundwave (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?p=338098#post338098), which is the same as Optimus.

What really ??? what a rip off it better come with all the cassettes well time to email toys r us.com.au

Waxpython
31st January 2013, 11:12 AM
That's a fantastic price! :) MP13 retails in Japan for 16590JPY ($175) - so this'd make the Australian RRP cheaper than Japan's, and - if it is an import of MP13 as I suspect - even better value! :D

he just said it's not as it's packaged in a clear box.

GoktimusPrime
31st January 2013, 12:38 PM
Oops! Sorry, my bad! :o Still seems to be a decent price though. :)

liegeprime
31st January 2013, 12:44 PM
Hmmm for $150 in a clear box... I wonder what goodies he'll come with? Hasbro usually doesn't pack all the same accessories than Takara. Hoping it's a Ratbat additional cassette.;)

Trent
31st January 2013, 12:44 PM
What really ??? what a rip off it better come with all the cassettes well time to email toys r us.com.au

So as per your first post, you're willing to pay $170 + shipping from Robot Kingdom.

But $150 + petrol money to get it from your local TRU is a rip off?? For the same toy?

Makes sense. :confused:

Bidoofdude
31st January 2013, 01:00 PM
$150 is an excellent price, considering this is the same as Optimus and we get a lot of goodies. I don't mind if it has the cassettes or not.:D:cool:

Waxpython
31st January 2013, 07:43 PM
$150 is an excellent price, considering this is the same as Optimus and we get a lot of goodies. I don't mind if it has the cassettes or not.:D:cool:

what goodies mp-1 retailed for about the same and it was metal large and gimmick overload in my opinion if it's 150 i still won't get it unless it has all the cassettes.

Bidoofdude
31st January 2013, 08:15 PM
what goodies mp-1 retailed for about the same and it was metal large and gimmick overload in my opinion if it's 150 i still won't get it unless it has all the cassettes.

You were the one going on about how it was $80 pal! Now you're saying $150, even if it is correct.
I don't see why metal is so good. Sure it adds stability but then it makes it top heavy, looks physically unappealing and can make it very loose.

Masterpiece Op (10) had roller, a trailer, Spike, the matrix and an energon axe.

You see, in Australia, we are more comfortable with prices like $150, whereas when I have observed some US boards like FBTB (lego) or TFW, $5-10 can be a deal breaker for them. We are as comfortable paying $150 as you are $100 for MP-10.

TBH, Hasbro MP-13 with all the cassettes would probably be a premium of about $180-200, IMHO, which I am fine not paying for now. I'd rather get the ACTUAL FIGURE.

GoktimusPrime
31st January 2013, 10:16 PM
I paid about $115~120 for my MP01. Never got the Hasbro version, so I don't remember how much it sold for here.

You were the one going on about how it was $80 pal! Now you're saying $150, even if it is correct.
I don't see why metal is so good. Sure it adds stability but then it makes it top heavy, looks physically unappealing and can make it very loose.
Good or not, metal is a more expensive material so it would justify a higher price compared to using more plastic. It's similar to how some people feel that more recent TF toys (e.g. TFPRiD, DotM, TFP) feel like less value for money because these toys are smaller and lighter weight than previous figures -- e.g. Generations Wheeljack vs TFPRiD Deluxe Wheeljack. I don't have any objection against plastic per se. I just don't like paying more (or the same) for a plastic toy if a metal toy can be the same price; e.g. when Alternators first came out here, they sold for about $55. For about the same price (4980JPY/$53) I could get a die-cast metal Binaltech... why not just get the Binaltech? The colours tended to look nicer on die cast metal, and Takara just put more effort in with the toys anyway.

Having said that, I agree that $150 is still a good price for Hasbro MP10. It's a lot better than paying $244 (23100JPY) for it if you got the TakTOM version (even if it has much nicer colours).

Masterpiece Op (10) had roller, a trailer, Spike, the matrix and an energon axe.
MP04 has an Energon Axe and Matrix too, but no Roller or Spike. IMO the MP10 trailer is nicer than MP04's. Sure it's smaller, but I find that it's better designed -- looks better and more fun to play with. It's also more similar to the original G1 trailer with the extra sculpted features and places for Spike to sit in.

liegeprime
1st February 2013, 08:06 AM
Hmmm I got lucky with my MP 1. Got it on sale at Target. It was less than a hundred IIRC but then it was on sale, plus there were still a couple of Magnuses shelfwarming then (box was worn though) so I was quite happy to pick one up for a cheaper price. But, Finding it had metal was a real treat for me coz it's like having a giant G1 articulated figure :D. Although it was hard to play with coz it was heavy:(.

I didn't wanna get MP 10 in the first place but the TRU discount coupon posted in a thread here made the difference and Ive soon warmed up to it. it's easier to play with. Less heavy, okay a lot less.... and has a little Spike figure Prime can torture;):p:D.
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb313/liegeprime/2012%20acquisitions/DSC02453-1.jpg

Still off the fence on the others (Lambor, Alert) coz Ive seen and handled them but the price hmmmmmm. Wish I have vision powers to see if theyd get cheaper or more pricier as time goes by':p....

Oh and Bidoofdude... for $150 it has to have at least 1 cassetron, otherwise they're ripping us off ;). Though you can use the G1 cassettes as well anyways, they fit in him just fine.

Shirokaze
1st February 2013, 09:27 AM

I laughed :p

Meanwhile, I'll know whether MP-13 was worth it or not in a few days. According to tracking, he arrived in the country on the 28th, but I suppose the QLD floods could delay delivery. :(

GoktimusPrime
1st February 2013, 09:35 AM
I think $150 for MP Soundwave w/o a cassette is, while not ideal, is okay. MP13 comes with Laserbeak, but retails for 16590JPY ($174); so if Hasbro MP13 doesn't come w/ a cassette, it is $24 cheaper than TakTOM's at RRP.

liegeprime
1st February 2013, 10:06 AM
I think $150 for MP Soundwave w/o a cassette is, while not ideal, is okay. MP13 comes with Laserbeak, but retails for 16590JPY ($174); so if Hasbro MP13 doesn't come w/ a cassette, it is $24 cheaper than TakTOM's at RRP.

Oh come one, they're already cheap out on us with the packaging.... 1 cassette should be a standard... they can leave out the Megatron gun - between that and the cassette, Id rather the latter.

Trent
1st February 2013, 10:35 AM

Hopefully we'll get a coupon weekend with SW ;)

Paulbot
1st February 2013, 11:36 AM
I think a Hasbro release should include Buzzsaw with Soundwave :) but it's probably going to be the cowardly bird rather than the artistic one.

The "Classics" rerelease of Soundwave did put two tapes in the box - something that TakaraTomy hadn't done at the time IIRC - but that seemed to be inspired by the fact they were using the Soundblaster toy cosplaying as Soundwave.

Bidoofdude
1st February 2013, 11:53 AM
At least Laserbeak or Buzzsaw would be fine for that price. It does add a whole gimmick basically.:cool:

griffin
1st February 2013, 02:58 PM
Hasbro version of Optimus last year was half the price of the JP version, so since Soundwave isn't anywhere near half the price of the Japanese version, I'd be thinking that more than one cassette may be in it.

The recent Hasbro reissue Soundwave had four tapes (Laserbeak, Buzzsaw, Ratbat, Ravage), and SDCC Blaster had three (Steeljaw, Ramhorn, Eject)... so Hasbro have a history of padding out a set with tapes.

Bidoofdude
1st February 2013, 03:15 PM
Yes, 2 or 3 (maybe even all 5) would be appropriate, since Hasbro seem to like packing in as much as they can.

GoktimusPrime
1st February 2013, 03:26 PM
Hasbro version of Optimus last year was half the price of the JP version, so since Soundwave isn't anywhere near half the price of the Japanese version, I'd be thinking that more than one cassette may be in it.

The recent Hasbro reissue Soundwave had four tapes (Laserbeak, Buzzsaw, Ratbat, Ravage), and SDCC Blaster had three (Steeljaw, Ramhorn, Eject)... so Hasbro have a history of padding out a set with tapes.

Awwwww, snap for the people who've already purchased the TakTOM version!! Sucked in! Oh wait, I'm one of them!! (d'oh! XO) :p :p :p I've already pre-ordered all the TakTOM MP cassettes too... so I guess there's no point in me getting the Hasbro version, even just for the cassettes. Unless it comes with a cassette TakTOM hasn't released like MP Ratbat! OooOOooOoOohhHHhhH... if the Hasbro version comes with a cassette not done by TakTOM, I'd be tempted to buy the toy just for that cassette and sell off the excess (at a reduced price of course). :/

5FDP
1st February 2013, 03:59 PM
I'd be perfectly OK with that... why; because from the pics that I have seen of the remaining cassettes, they all look like garbage. Considering they're also the same size as the originals, I'll just be using them with my MP Soundwave ;) It's a win / win as I get to save for other figures like FOC Astrotrain and MP Prowl (pending pics of what they look like).

DELTAprime
4th February 2013, 06:34 PM
My MP Soundwave finally showed up today (paid for EMS and Aus Post finally delivers it 10 or so days late). I love him, no reason not to buy the Takara version. I wouldn't take the chance of waiting for Hasbro since they tend to screw up their release. I hate the crap they put all over Thundercracker. Hot Rod and Skywarp had toy accurate not show accurate paint jobs.

I did find one QC thing odd about my Soundwave. On the clear tape deck section there was some type of goo on it. I'm guessing mould release or something.

GoktimusPrime
4th February 2013, 10:38 PM
Hot Rod and Skywarp had toy accurate not show accurate paint jobs.
Ain't nothin' wrong with toy accurate colours! :) before anyone jumps on my grammar, I'm intentionally using double negatives here! d:
The toys came first after all. ;)

But I would say that TakTOM MP Rodimus has a better paint job, not necessarily because of the colours chosen, but because of the _effort_ put in. I prefer toy accuracy over show likeness, but I must admit that TakTOM put in much more effort into their Rodimus' colours than Hasbro's... which just looks downright lazy by comparison. TakTOM meticulously gave their Rodimus a highly detailed show like colour scheme. Hasbro kinda gave their Rodimus a toy-accurate colour scheme... mostly... but not comprehensively. e.g. the hands should be orange, not silver-grey. And Skywarp's feet should be purple. But the Hasbro MPs are a LOT cheaper, so unlike the dude in my signature, I can deal with it now. :D

Bidoofdude
5th February 2013, 05:15 PM
Ain't nothin' wrong with toy accurate colours! :) before anyone jumps on my grammar, I'm intentionally using double negatives here! d:
The toys came first after all. ;)

But I would say that TakTOM MP Rodimus has a better paint job, not necessarily because of the colours chosen, but because of the _effort_ put in. I prefer toy accuracy over show likeness, but I must admit that TakTOM put in much more effort into their Rodimus' colours than Hasbro's... which just looks downright lazy by comparison. TakTOM meticulously gave their Rodimus a highly detailed show like colour scheme. Hasbro kinda gave their Rodimus a toy-accurate colour scheme... mostly... but not comprehensively. e.g. the hands should be orange, not silver-grey. And Skywarp's feet should be purple. But the Hasbro MPs are a LOT cheaper, so unlike the dude in my signature, I can deal with it now. :D

I think the silver face on the Hasbro Rodimus looks kind of ugly. The grey is much better.

GoktimusPrime
5th February 2013, 09:45 PM
I think the silver face on the Hasbro Rodimus looks kind of ugly. The grey is much better.
Well that's a matter of subjective taste/preference. People who prefer show colours may prefer the lighter coloured TakTOM face, people who prefer toy-accuracy may prefer the darker face. One's not inherently better or worse than the other. But even though I prefer toy accurate colours, the effort in application is better with TakTOM's.

Hasbro and TakaraTOMY Masterpiece Rodimus comparison thread (http://otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=13338) :)

Trent
5th February 2013, 10:00 PM

Yes, but you have to ask yourself, is it ~$110 better? Because that was what the price difference ended up being.

Bidoofdude
6th February 2013, 04:57 PM
Yes, but you have to ask yourself, is it ~$110 better? Because that was what the price difference ended up being.

Yeah. It is a better price, but that trailer is laughing at me!:p
He's not too bad in the face, but it isn't exactly as appealing to me as the Takara face.;)

GoktimusPrime
6th February 2013, 09:34 PM
Yeah. It is a better price, but that trailer is laughing at me!:p
So laugh back at it! "Ha! Ha! You're the back half of a Space-Winnebago!" :p

Bidoofdude
6th February 2013, 10:14 PM
So laugh back at it! "Ha! Ha! You're the back half of a Space-Winnebago!" :p

Hehe.:p I like that.