PDA

View Full Version : Rocks in the Box

Iriorne
31st January 2013, 12:53 PM
I purchased an MP-11 off Ebay - it turned up in the mail the other day and I was surprised to discover two packets of gravel inside the box, underneath the figure's bubble packaging. :confused:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/233731/OTCA/MP11_gravel.jpg

On closer inspection the box appears to have been double-taped on the bottom, which leads me to suspect that these are non-standard additions.

The figure itself seems fine, aside from being slightly mis-transformed. The tape on his bubble packaging looks untampered with and all accessories and instructions are present.

Is it possible the seller is trying to screw people on shipping cost? The rocks weigh about 500g but it seems a bit odd as I paid flat rate, and why leave them in there? I do feel a little jibbed as it was supposedly MISB, though I was going to open it anyway.

Is it worth making a fuss over? Has anyone encountered anything similar?

gamblor916
31st January 2013, 01:14 PM
That's really strange. I was sent some gravel as well inside a box of paint I got off ebay from HK. Why send gravel? :confused:

Tetsuwan Convoy
31st January 2013, 01:30 PM
Wow. That is very strange. I wonder if they stick the rocks in for weighing the postage and plan to take them out later, but forgot this time...

I'd send them a message saying that it wasn't MISB as bags of rocks are not standard issue with transformers:p

Await their reply, you never know, they might go about refunding some of your money to keep you happy.
And then maybe drop him a lower mark on the feedback stars or neutral feedback.

I'd be a little bit glad it was only rocks and not something more sinister. Wow. People are strange.

Megatron
31st January 2013, 01:39 PM
Weird. It'd be interesting to see what sort of explanation the seller comes up with...

If you were going to open it anyway and everything else is fine, then it's not worth getting an exchange/refund, but if it were me I definitely would - MISB should be MISB.

Skullcruncher
31st January 2013, 01:57 PM
Crazy - maybe to help keep the figure in position? :rolleyes: at least the figure was there - at first I thought you just received the box with the gravel in it. :o

griffin
31st January 2013, 02:59 PM
I had a similar thing happen when I got the black Jetwing Optimus (big box)... it had in the shipping box, several small boxes of kitty litter, weighing 1.8kgs.
It had me worried at first that it was drug smuggling (I'm assuming it is kitty litter), and my home would be raided by the person knowing where it was being posted to... but nothing, and I threw it away.

http://www.toycollectors.com.au/blog/386.jpg

I think the shipping was a set rate as well, but it doubled the weight of the box, and didn't get a reply when I asked why he did it.

5FDP
31st January 2013, 03:38 PM
I have never experienced / seen / heard of anything like this before :confused: Having said that though, if you had a cat, you'd be pretty stoked about the free kitty litter ;) :p

i_amtrunks
31st January 2013, 03:45 PM
if you had a cat, you'd be pretty stoked about the free kitty litter ;) :p

Ha!

The gravel/litter obviously isnt for safety reasons, maybe to balance larger figures to stop them toppling over? I'd prefer them not to do it as people usually stack heavier boxes at the bottom of piles, meaning more chance of your parcel getting crushed...

Just weird!

liegeprime
31st January 2013, 05:54 PM
hmmm, perhaps it's a test if these get through, something else can get through as well in the future ;P. Pretty dodgy IMO. you guys sure it was just plain gravel?

ILikeSoundwave
31st January 2013, 07:14 PM
I thinks the rocks were there to keep bugs and insects out of the boxes if they somehow creeped in.;)

Waxpython
31st January 2013, 07:27 PM
i've heard about this search for anything hidden in the gravel if you find any white powder reply to this thread ASAP

Iriorne
1st February 2013, 04:53 PM
you guys sure it was just plain gravel?

Heh, that was my second thought but no, thankfully, it appears to be plain old gravel or cat litter. :) Thanks for the input everyone - might send a question to the seller and see what sort of response I get.

DELTAprime
1st February 2013, 05:28 PM
Who was the seller? I'd like to avoid them.

KalEl
1st February 2013, 05:47 PM
It may be to keep/absorb moisture away from the item being sent, also can act as a charcoal filter type deal. As moisture can be an issue especially it sent by sea. The gravel/kitty litter is a great substance for this purpose.

i_amtrunks
1st February 2013, 06:11 PM
It may be to keep/absorb moisture away from the item being sent, also can act as a charcoal filter type deal. As moisture can be an issue especially it sent by sea. The gravel/kitty litter is a great substance for this purpose.

I know that is done with paper/ceramic/porous substance items being shipped along sea routes, but if the rocks were in plastic bags, wouldn't that negate the absorbency gains?

Plus I doubt you'd ever need 1.8kg of kitty litter unless you were planning a bathroom break!

Tober
1st February 2013, 11:06 PM
Ever since the reclamation of Hong Kong by the Chinese government in 2000 there has been an anti-communist plot to smuggle Hong Kong into Australia via eBay transactions.

Iriorne
2nd February 2013, 12:23 AM
As moisture can be an issue especially it sent by sea. The gravel/kitty litter is a great substance for this purpose.

I know that is done with paper/ceramic/porous substance items being shipped along sea routes, but if the rocks were in plastic bags, wouldn't that negate the absorbency gains?

At first I did think it was a drying agent but, at least in my case, the bags are pretty air tight and have a distinctly home made look. In any case, there's no excuse for opening an item that has been sold as MISB as the dessicant should function as well in the shipping box as in the figure box.

I sent an enquiry to the seller this afternoon but I doubt I'll get a response, let alone any money back. After all, the first rule of acquisition says: "Once you have their money, you never give it back". :)

Who was the seller? I'd like to avoid them.

The seller was kit11670, based in Taiwan. In fairness to the seller, he/she/they have high positive feedback - something on the order of 40000+. I even checked feedback left for other MP-11s - all positive. *shrug*

drahsrebu
2nd February 2013, 11:09 PM
I've bought from this seller before, never received any gravel though. I feel a little ripped off now:p

KalEl
3rd February 2013, 12:28 AM
I've bought from this seller before, never received any gravel though. I feel a little ripped off now:p

haha email them and complain

Iriorne
4th February 2013, 04:58 PM
Well colour me surprised, I got a reply:

These bags are to consume moisture. We are at south east asia with high humidity and plastics may grow molds. So we add the dehumidifiers to consume moisture.

More or less what I expected. I think it's a little dicey opening up MISB figures, but whatever. I guess I'm happy so not gonna push it any further.

I've bought from this seller before, never received any gravel though. I feel a little ripped off now

You can have some of mine if you're willing to pay postage. :p

GoktimusPrime
4th February 2013, 10:43 PM
Mineral/clay desiccant?
http://www.absortechaustralia.com/desiccants/mineral-desiccant.html
http://www.maxsorbs.com/products

drahsrebu
4th February 2013, 10:58 PM
You can have some of mine if you're willing to pay postage. :p

Could probs do with some after all the water from the floods we've had:p

Deonasis
5th February 2013, 12:41 AM
Dammit, im too tired but i say something witty about Rocklords and then we all go hahaha! Glad it all turned out well and above board.

Tetsuwan Convoy
5th February 2013, 02:08 AM
Dammit, im too tired but i say something witty about Rocklords and then we all go hahaha! Glad it all turned out well and above board.

LOL!

this thread has given me a good chuckle. Glad it worked out for everyone involved. Including me;)

GoktimusPrime
5th February 2013, 10:13 AM
I've been trying to think of a witty Rock Lords reference since this thread started! I've since given up. :p The less I think about Battle of the Rock Lords the better. ;)

Sharky
5th February 2013, 12:22 PM
I've been trying to think of a witty Rock Lords reference since this thread started! I've since given up. :p The less I think about Battle of the Rock Lords the better. ;)

Nuthin to loose your marbles over.... :rolleyes:

gekisou
5th February 2013, 01:12 PM
Ever since the reclamation of Hong Kong by the Chinese government in 2000 there has been an anti-communist plot to smuggle Hong Kong into Australia via eBay transactions.

That, my good sir, is brilliant.

Also, yeah, this seems odd, I've never had this happen to me before. Please update us what their reply is.

UltraMarginal
5th February 2013, 01:41 PM
you'll soon be able to see if it's absorbent, drop some in a bucket and splash some water in there. if the rocks expand with soaked up water over an hour or two, you've got an absorbent material.