View Full Version : Toy Review - TFPrime Voyager Thundertron

christalcase
4th February 2013, 08:13 PM
Series - Prime
Sub-line - Robots in Disguise
Size/class - Voyager
Wave - 4
New/remould/redeco - New
Released here - not yet (globally September 2012)
Approximate Retail Price - $40-50 (US$20-25 in America)
Approximate Size - unknown
Allegiance - Star Seeker
Alt-mode - Beast (Lion?)
Main Features/Gimmicks - weird weapon with LED light, detaching foot
Main Colours - blue, white, gold
Main Accessories - weapon, foot

Beast Mode:

http://i48.tinypic.com/2dhsgll.jpg

Thundertron transforms into a generic beast mode that bears a resemblance to a lion. Probably the weaker mode as it has no pose-ability in the front legs. Pretty much everything is static but he does look good. He's well formed and while his rear legs may be awkward, they're hidden by the 'wings'. Personally, I think this is a very cool beast mode.

Transformation would be considered lazy and uninspired by a few people since Thundertron stands up on his hind legs, and with a bit of fiddle around with his forelegs (which was different and unexpected) you get the robot mode. It's very simple.

Robot Mode:

http://i49.tinypic.com/210blht.jpg

Robot mode is where Thundertron shines. He's is very well proportioned and the sculpting is excellent. His weapon is stupid (expected), the sword sculpt on it is very nice so I wished he came with a normal sword instead of this bulky light gimmick. His right foot detaches and has a peg to attach to his forearms. Main reason for this gimmick is because he was a space pirate in the Exiles book. The 'wings' in beast mode becomes a waist skirt which enhances the look. An awesome robot mode.

Overall, this is an awesome toy and well worth having. I think this the best Voyager in the Prime line (yes, even better than Dreadwing/Skyquake).

Omega Metro
4th February 2013, 08:35 PM
I soo want this guy. Not generally into the animal formers but this guy looks great.

griffin
5th February 2013, 12:46 AM
Official image...

http://www.toycollectors.com.au/tftoys/tfpr23.jpg

BigTransformerTrev
7th February 2013, 03:06 PM
I've got this guy along with Ultra Magnus & Skyquake on order from BBTS. Been there for a while but waiting for my Grimlock & Blaster to turn up so I can have it all shipped as one (the Auto cassettes/discs showed up today!). So will vote after they finally get here - I certainally HOPE he is worth having ;)

GoktimusPrime
7th February 2013, 07:20 PM
I was surprised to see that the toy's so small. I'm not a fan of Voyagers that are the size of a Deluxe, even if it's bulkier... already got 'experienced that with BM Megatron and Animated Lugnut & Bulkhead, and I was not impressed with either of those. So I might wait until I find this toy on sale before getting it.

griffin
8th February 2013, 12:37 AM
Next to the JP version, which they called Leo Prime...

http://www.toycollectors.com.au/blog/922.jpg

It's worth noting that the official images of Thundertron, have the robot chest bits wrong. The white panels are supposed to slide down, so that the clear panels on each side of the robot head can fold down further, revealing the robot head more.... otherwise you have several parts and hinges that don't get used in the transformation.

(BTW, ignore anything positive Christalcase says about this toy... :p It sucks so bad, the transformation is simpler than Beast Era Cheetor - which at least looked good in beast mode, unlike this one.)

Omega Metro
8th February 2013, 12:41 AM
Leo Prime is good also. I really love this mould.

Tetsuwan Convoy
13th February 2013, 09:55 PM
Just got my Thundertron out of the box and the first thing I ave to say is. WHAT THE HELL is wrong with his weapon??????? He has a 'light up battle sword' but it doesn't stay extended and the light barely lights up the blade at all. Add to that, he can't even hold it like a proper sword...

I haven't even looked at the figure yet, but that sword, yeessh.

Omega Metro
13th February 2013, 09:59 PM
Just got my Thundertron out of the box and the first thing I ave to say is. WHAT THE HELL is wrong with his weapon??????? He has a 'light up battle sword' but it doesn't stay extended and the light barely lights up the blade at all. Add to that, he can't even hold it like a proper sword...

I haven't even looked at the figure yet, but that sword, yeessh.

Apparently there's some simple modification you can do to his sword so its a proper sword. I think it was on YouTube.:cool:

Tetsuwan Convoy
13th February 2013, 10:28 PM
Apparently there's some simple modification you can do to his sword so its a proper sword. I think it was on YouTube.:cool:

OOH! Thanks, will get googling.

Just TFed him and well, the instructions are certainly rubbish all right. Throw them away and do it yourself I recommend.

My, what a static lion mode. He can't even open/close his mouth? It's a good thing I like th colours and look of this guy. And the peg leg ;) I prefer Thundertron over Leo Prime, mainly coz of the pirate thing and a new character

Omega Metro
13th February 2013, 11:03 PM
I hate the pirate peg leg!:mad:

Tetsuwan Convoy
14th February 2013, 01:10 AM
I hate the pirate peg leg!:mad:

Wow, really? I think it adds so much character to him.

So after having a bit of a play and photo shoot with the guy, I have come to the conclusion that it is an ok toy. Actually I think it's pretty good. His weapons are crap though. If you use the peg leg option and have the foot claw on his arm, it doesn't extend past his fist = what's the point? The lion mode doesn't do much, but I like the blue space lion look of it enough to get past that. Plus the robot mode is fairly poseable, despite the fact that as a pirate captain, I want him to look commanding and determined. I also like that his fore-head piece looks like a pirate hat.

The light sword thing is just bollocks. Even after disabling the spring, having to mount it on the side of his arm is just rubbish. I like the claw at the base of the blade and the blade shape is pretty good, its the stupid LED box thing that is the problem I think. I will have to find away to keep the blade and claw and attach a peg to it somehow.

Voted Only if... you have a thing for pirates. (I do ;) )

griffin
14th February 2013, 01:22 AM
For me, the pirate leg was the only good thing about this toy.
It was unique idea that has never been done before in the history of Transformers (Longtooth should have had one), and they designed it in a way that you don't have to have the peg-leg (like I've done with the Leo Prime redeco).
I'm guessing the peg-leg is canon (in the Exodus/Exiles story), and if so, then I would have been disappointed if the toy didn't have one.

GoktimusPrime
14th February 2013, 10:52 AM
If they ever make a Generations Longtooth, he should come w/ a peg leg. Or better yet, have the leg morph/transform into a peg-leg... like maybe the left foot folds away and the some parts of the lower leg shifts to narrow itself (could work on a Voyager). Longtooth was seen with both normal legs and a peg leg in G1 canon.

UltraMarginal
14th February 2013, 01:33 PM
I'm guessing the peg-leg is canon (in the Exodus/Exiles story), and if so, then I would have been disappointed if the toy didn't have one.

yep, it was mentioned in the second book I recall.

Tetsuwan Convoy
14th February 2013, 11:02 PM
For thos interested, Thundertron was designed by Emiliano Santalucia and he has chucked some stuff on his blog.

Here (http://santalux.blogspot.it/2012/11/thundertron-is-project-im-very-proud-of.html)

and concept drawings Here (http://santalux.blogspot.com.au/2012/11/thundetron-concept-sketches.html?spref=bl)

kaiden
20th February 2013, 02:42 AM
the peg leg is pretty much the only thing this toy has going for it.

Tetsuwan Convoy
21st February 2013, 08:47 PM
I've had mine hanging around the place and wondering about it. While I really like the look of the toy, the lion mode is pretty bad really.

The one thing that really annoys me though is the blue plastic forearms. I wish they'd been the colours that you see on the drawn image on the box...

I also see that of the two mode, the lion mode is the one that has suffered most from the concept drawings. (http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-rb3MdQIuvPU/UK0JtJgEL1I/AAAAAAAAB3I/htBgsEj0ZHM/s1600/Thundertron03.jpg).

Mine will be staying in bot mode methinks.

Hmm, you know, I've been having to choose one mode over the other quite a lot recently...:(

BigTransformerTrev
8th March 2013, 09:04 PM
I found doing the front legs for his Lion mode very fiddly, and when I first took him out of the box his head came straight off!

The Lion mode is... ok. Certainly not great though.

The pirate thing is a good angle. I have read Exiles but since I did not enjoy it much had never picked it up again so had forgotten about this character. The peg-leg is cool, as is the fact that he has a sort-of pirate coat. The big long beard and the skull piece that looks pirate-hat-ish are a nice touch. They should have given him a hook hand and a Targetmaster partner like Sights to complete the look ;)

Personally I think this is one of those bots that is going to stay on my shelf in robot mode. I may have to dig out my Cannonball and HFTD Axor figures and set them up as a motley crew :D