PDA

View Full Version : Titan Class METROPLEX

Pages : [1] 2 3

KalEl
10th February 2013, 11:49 AM
We have our first preliminary look at Transformers Generations Titan Class Fall of Cybertron Metroplex! This massive figure is over two feet tall! It will include a legends sized Scamper and has a tentative price point of $125 USD. This thing looks amazing and wow if making me excited for retail transformers again!

- Features, Scamper who is a legend scale.

- Figure has light up eyes, flip down visor. articulated pupils, independent cannons, head converts to gunner turret.

- Metroplex will have sounds and phrases.

- Metroplex will have a fashionable and functional helmet.

- Firing projectile blaster, articulated hands/fingers, autobot repair bays, take-off/landing strips, weapon turrets, helipad landing zone in vehicle mode

- Release planned for Fall 2013

http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj621/KalElofKrypton87/A2411-Titan-Metroplex---Robot-Mode_1360455976_zps34c6d3c7.jpg

http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj621/KalElofKrypton87/A2411-Titan-Metroplex---City-Mode_1360455951_zps3e0d4df2.jpg

http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj621/KalElofKrypton87/A2411-Titan-Metroplex---Vehicle-Mode_1360455951_zps091abfac.jpg

Tabias Prime
10th February 2013, 11:52 AM
Just saw this myself OMG I am going to be so broke this year:o:o:o:o

Bidoofdude
10th February 2013, 11:56 AM
This was in the other thread, but there are going to be lights, sounds, rotating pupils and articulated hands/fingers.

Hopefully some retailer get interest.:D:cool:

1AZRAEL1
10th February 2013, 11:59 AM
Holy mother of god that looks better than the earlier pictures. I love it. US$125 is as much as i figured him to be. Wonder how much extra we will be charged :p

Bought on site for sure.

CHILENO20
10th February 2013, 11:59 AM
Definately getting it:D

Bidoofdude
10th February 2013, 12:04 PM
Hopefully it won't be like $230 here.;)

Sutton
10th February 2013, 12:04 PM
Sweet robot mode, but the alt modes are a bit lame - not as bad as Cybertron Metroplex - but they really couldn't do anything at all with his hands...???

Still bought on sight of course.

KalEl
10th February 2013, 12:13 PM
Hopefully it won't be like $230 here.;)

$180-200 would be my guess. Which ill happily pay for 2ft of glory!

SMHFConvoy
10th February 2013, 12:18 PM
Sweet robot mode, but the alt modes are a bit lame - not as bad as Cybertron Metroplex - but they really couldn't do anything at all with his hands...???

Still bought on sight of course.

I love cyb metroplex's alt mode!

*runs away crying*

SMHFConvoy
10th February 2013, 12:19 PM
$180-200 would be my guess. Which ill happily pay for 2ft of glory!

Oh dude, that came out wrong! :-)

Paulbot
10th February 2013, 12:33 PM
The alt modes are better than I expected and not drastic changes to the G1 version. Surely that right arm is mistransformed in City mode. It doesn't make sense out like that.

Gouki
10th February 2013, 12:41 PM
Hope its out in time for the Toy Sales, because this is going to be such a rip of domestically, and shipping from overseas won't be much better.

Tallestblue
10th February 2013, 12:42 PM
Gah. this thing is amazing. All these toy reveals today blew my mind.

Tetsuwan Convoy
10th February 2013, 12:44 PM
Hopefully a bit of self transforming time will be able to make him more city sized. It'd be nice if that gap between hi legs could be covered up a bit by the thighs unfolding a bit in city mode.

I notice that the city mode looks nothing like FOC Metroplex. I wonder if this is a FIOC or Gens specific version?

articulated pupils,
Transformers First right there.:D

looking forward to seeing this I will say.

kup
10th February 2013, 01:02 PM
Its got questionable engineering like the G1 toy but it still works for me :)

These announcements have certainly been exciting. I am looking forward to once again going out on toy hunts and be excited about it!

i_amtrunks
10th February 2013, 01:03 PM
This is a very welcome surprise!

Cost will be the issue or postage. Hopefully someone other than TRU sells this.

Tetsuwan Convoy
10th February 2013, 01:07 PM
Cost will be the issue or postage. Hopefully someone other than TRU sells this.
I would love to see a shelf full of these!:D

And then empty shelves of people buying them.

fatbot
10th February 2013, 01:27 PM
the great thing with this is the release date, it should be out while i am in LA so i can buy one and bring it home with me

Tetsuwan Convoy
10th February 2013, 01:30 PM
the great thing with this is the release date, it should be out while i am in LA so i can buy one and bring it home with me

Lol, you'll need a whole suitcase just for Metroplex at 2 foot tall :D

"Do you have anything to declare?"

"Why yes, I have a 2 foot tall city in my bags."

Omega Metro
10th February 2013, 01:43 PM
Looks great. Don't have a Metroplex as I have been waiting for an updated version with great looks and modern engineering.....just like this one. :D

Bidoofdude
10th February 2013, 01:52 PM
Looks great. Don't have a Metroplex as I have been waiting for an updated version with great looks and modern engineering.....just like this one. :D

Plus it's taller than Fort Max to boot!!!:cool::eek:

Tetsuwan Convoy
10th February 2013, 02:10 PM
Plus it's taller than Fort Max to boot!!!:cool::eek:

Dies that feel a bit wrong to anyone else? lol.

After so many years, we end up with a taller figure, although it appears to be a LOT less bulky!

DELTAprime
10th February 2013, 02:36 PM
So, that makes 1x Fort Max + 1x Metroplex + 3x Datsun's + 2x Cassette's + 2x Voyager Triple Changers + 4x Deluxe Generation's still to come this year. In other words, I'm going to be broke.

Bidoofdude
10th February 2013, 02:45 PM
So, that makes 1x Fort Max + 1x Metroplex + 3x Datsun's + 2x Cassette's + 2x Voyager Triple Changers + 4x Deluxe Generation's still to come this year. In other words, I'm going to be broke.

Bingo. Don't worry. It's pretty much all of us.:p;)

Magnus
10th February 2013, 03:05 PM
This thing pretty much speaks for itself. Hopefully it won't be too much locally.

If I didn't have G1 Metroplex, and if I had room...

Robzy
10th February 2013, 03:07 PM
Definitely the real stand out figure for me so far. The others are good, but this guy looks pretty damn awesome!

griffin
10th February 2013, 03:51 PM
I'm in the minority, in that I feel disappointed.
It pretty much copies the transformation of the original Metroplex in both modes, so hasn't utilised 25 years of engineering and design advances, to make something out of such big square limbs (as mentioned above, the city mode should have had stuff folding out to fill up space, instead of just looking like a robot doing the splits).
If anything, it has made Gen1 Metroplex look better, because this one has a "stomach" section added in to make the robot look more humanoid in proportions, but has then ruined the other two modes by not collapsing that - it looks wrong having the top half sticking up so high with a huge gap in the middle. The Gen1 version had no gap, so both alt modes sat lower as one block.
We know Hasbro (TakaraTomy actually) can engineer giant toys well (look at Primus and Unicron)... this is like a step back, almost like they've sacrificed a good transformation just to make the robot mode look good.
I think they are trying to provide an interactive "playset" (especially in the city mode), but it is still a transforming toy, so I think it should still have a bigger emphasis on the conversion element, so that the different modes, look more different than a robot sitting down or doing the splits.
Optimus Maximus is a good example of Hasbro producing a "playset", that totally sucks as a convertible toy.

I'm also disappointed that all these FOC toys are coming out so long after the game, which will make them harder to sell - lines that don't have a cartoon, movie or game out don't do well. This could leave us with shelf-warming, making it less likely we see later waves, or this big one that's still six months away.
Hasbro should have had the toys coming out in the 3-4 months before the game release while all the hype was out there and the promotion of the game, so that these sort of bigger ones (Metroplex and triple-changers) were out soon after the game, and then sold out by Christmas.

Pricing is likely to be close to $200 here, which is cheaper than Fort Max reissue (which has a more complicated transformation into city mode than this), so I think this one will be compared to that when it comes out.

Blink90210
10th February 2013, 04:02 PM
I find it really interesting that a "fashionable and functional helmet" is one of the highlighted features. Definate buy for me but does anyone else think it'll shelf-warm by virtue of its price?

theshape
10th February 2013, 04:05 PM
Wow bigger than Fort Max...thats impressive enough.

Tetsuwan Convoy
10th February 2013, 04:27 PM
I think they are trying to provide an interactive "playset" (especially in the city mode), but it is still a transforming toy, so I think it should still have a bigger emphasis on the conversion element, so that the different modes, look more different than a robot sitting down or doing the splits.
Optimus Maximus is a good example of Hasbro producing a "playset", that totally sucks as a convertible toy.

I'm also disappointed that all these FOC toys are coming out so long after the game, which will make them harder to sell - lines that don't have a cartoon, movie or game out don't do well. This could leave us with shelf-warming, making it less likely we see later waves, or this big one that's still six months away.
Hasbro should have had the toys coming out in the 3-4 months before the game release while all the hype was out there and the promotion of the game, so that these sort of bigger ones (Metroplex and triple-changers) were out soon after the game, and then sold out by Christmas.

Yeah and the FOC toys will be competing with prime toys as well. You'd think that since they are getting a bit more into the Playset side of things, theyd make Matroplex better than they have done in the city mode. Really, it looks like you have a couple of ramps to roll toys down, a 'helicopter pad' and that's about it. I just hope that it's horribly mistransformed for this display :p

I find it really interesting that a "fashionable and functional helmet" is one of the highlighted features. Definate buy for me but does anyone else think it'll shelf-warm by virtue of its price?
The helmet and pupils are interesting points to push.

I am worried about the price. Especially over here. Wouldn't surprise me if we have to wait for the mid year toy sale (of 2014) before they get it in. The last large playset I remember from Hasbro would be the Millenium falcon one. That only rocked up at the toy sales at 199 I think.

Hopefully amazon will save the day! :)

BigTransformerTrev
10th February 2013, 04:36 PM
A mate just sent me the link on Facebook about this - I had to go sit down for a moment and have a little happy-freakout! I shall buy him, then I'll hug him and love him and squeeze him and pet him!

Mythirax
10th February 2013, 04:50 PM
Whaaaaaaaaaat!!! We're getting a FoC MetroPlex :D:D:D

Paulbot
10th February 2013, 04:53 PM
The timing in regards to the game is odd, perhaps R&D took much longer than expected. Most of these other reveals (if not all others) don't tie to the game though.

i_amtrunks
10th February 2013, 04:54 PM

I wonder if the new third game could be out/ getting some media attention by the time this get released? The pictures make that seem doubtful, they look like the figures are ready to be mass produced but you never know how long the local branch will make us wait.

(Now I've said that, this will be one of the toys we get here before the rest of the world :rolleyes:)

Starscream77
10th February 2013, 05:04 PM
One word..... YES !!!!!

KalEl
10th February 2013, 05:13 PM
I would love to see a shelf full of these!:D

And then empty shelves of people buying them.
Shelf of these would look insane! Like when Unicron was in shelf, looked crazy insane.

Get in line with the rest of us lol

Wow bigger than Fort Max...thats impressive enough.
Taller maybe, but not by sheer mass.

BigTransformerTrev
10th February 2013, 05:23 PM

Who are the Datsuns & Cassettes?

gdmetro
10th February 2013, 06:23 PM
Who are the Datsuns & Cassettes?

Referring to the Takara Masterpieces.

Anyway now I've had more time to digest the info and pics of metroplex- it's pretty amazing that its taller than g1 fort max? Seems has and takara have really been responding to fans wishes lately.

And I know it won't satisfy my high expectations, as metroplex was what got me back into collecting tfs. However, the fact that it exists and imo it looks okay is enough to satisfy me for now. How much will the takara version cost?

So pumped and can't wait for this.. I want multiples. Hopefully these sell well enough so we can get metrotitan, fort max, trypticon and scorponok too. Oh the possibilities!

Lord_Zed
10th February 2013, 07:59 PM
Its got questionable engineering like the G1 toy but it still works for me :)

These announcements have certainly been exciting. I am looking forward to once again going out on toy hunts and be excited about it!

Yeah, unlike Year of the Snake Omega Supreme, this toy at least remains true to it's origins in altmodes.

The_Damned
10th February 2013, 08:23 PM
metrotitan would be an awesome idea for a repaint

BigTransformerTrev
10th February 2013, 08:32 PM
Referring to the Takara Masterpieces.

Hopefully these sell well enough so we can get metrotitan, fort max, trypticon and scorponok too. Oh the possibilities!

Ah, can't believe that I didn't get the Datsuns and the cassettes were referring to the masterpieces - I think because I have slated my MP Soundwave acquistion to wait until the Hasbro version comes out I had dismissed it out of mind :rolleyes:

I think it's great that Fort Max & Metroplex will be of similar stature, it always bugged me when taking photo's of my collection that while Scorponok & Trypticon were comproble, Metroplex next to Fort Max looked like Wheelie next to Ultra Magnus :p

Since Hasbro continues to cash in on the FOC genre, even putting out tons of toys based on characters that were NOT in the games, hopefully they continue and make some more characters that were IN the WFC/FOC games!

I would love to see:
Titan: Omega Supreme & Trypticon
Voyager: Jetfire, Silverbolt, Sludge & Snarl
Deluxe: Thundercracker, Skywarp, Slipstream, Arcee, Ratchet, Ironhide, Breakdown, Quake, Slag, Swoop, Perceptor & Warpath

but then wouldn't we all ;)

gekisou
10th February 2013, 08:51 PM
So WANT!!!! Man, with Fort Max added into the equation, this will be an expensive year.

Defcon
10th February 2013, 09:16 PM
Exciting for sure. Im glad it has the fall of cybertron/G1 aesthetic, although I'm agreeing with the disappointment with the base modes.

1AZRAEL1
10th February 2013, 09:19 PM

I was thinking the same thing, and I reckon it will be likely. They have spent $400k for R&D for this figure, they will want to make full use of it. Even if Hasbro don't make Metrotitan, I am sure Takara will do it.

Kazza
10th February 2013, 09:32 PM
OHHHH YEAHHHH... drooling right now. Can't wait until its out.

VERT
10th February 2013, 10:33 PM
Yeah I have to have him. Like max, postage may be a killer. But im guessing he will be lighter than max. So that may help.

GoktimusPrime
10th February 2013, 10:34 PM
I'm gonna wait until this toy's out and someone's had a chance to properly measure it before going off my handle and declaring that it's "Bigger Than Fortress Maximus!" Things to consider:
1. The G1 catalogue also claimed that Fortress Maximus is 2 feet (61cm) tall, but in reality he's actually 'only' 55cm. 6cm is a pretty big discrepancy for an action figure. And what about the other dimensions? Fort Max is 41cm wide (42cm in city mode), 59cm long in city mode and 77cm long in battleship mode! Being tall is one thing, but is it tall and bulky or just tall and lanky?
2. Are they measuring the height from the top of the head, or are they including the antennae? The shoulder cannons seem to rise above those antennae too, so are they measuring up to there? I can understand the logic behind measuring a toy up to it's highest point, it certainly matters when trying to fit big toys onto shelves... but IMO a robot's "true" height is just up to the top of the head -- I guess what I mean is, if FoC Metroplex and Fortress Maximus were to look at each other eye-to-eye, would their eye levels be more or less the same, or would one have to look up at the other?

And height really isn't everything (just look at Beast Machines Cheetor -- the biggest version is the worst, and the smallest one is the best!). As griffin mentioned, while this toy may be tall, it certainly lacks bulk that even G1 Metroplex had more of (despite being about the same size as G1 Ultra Magnus :p). Fortress Maximus is really big, but he justifies that size with his bulk (the toy weighs 5kg) and is absolutely packed with all sorts of play features. Fort Max is a play set, not just for small carded TFs like G1 Metroplex was, but also for the larger boxed toys (i.e. the Headmasters and Targetmasters). Cockpit, double Headmaster, LOTS of hidden weapons, rotating radar/sensor array, deployable ramps, 3 Autobot car launchers, a working lift, stairs, prison cell et al. all make Fortress Maximus one mightily impressive toy, even 26 years later! :) And Encore Fortress Maximus is going to retail for $300 ($250 w/ preorder discount) -- if FoC Metroplex has a US RRP of $125, then it's possible that the AU RRP may be as expensive as $250, throwing it within the price range of Fortress Maximus. That's not necessarily a bad thing so long as the toy can match Fort Max's play value... but I wouldn't bet on it. :o

I notice that the city mode looks nothing like FOC Metroplex. I wonder if this is a FIOC or Gens specific version?
Yeah, my guess would be to make the toy look a bit more G1, and also more fun as a play set. FoC Metroplex's city mode is honestly rather dull from a toy play perspective IMHO.

Transformers First right there.:D
Well... Transformers first for robot mode. We've had articulated pupils for Transformers in beast mode before (e.g. Guiledart, Triceradon etc.)

Or better yet, just design the toys first and have animators, game designers etc. build models on it after the designs are made. :/

Pricing is likely to be close to $200 here, which is cheaper than Fort Max reissue (which has a more complicated transformation into city mode than this), so I think this one will be compared to that when it comes out.
I hope it'll be $200! That's a price I can accept... much above that is gonna make me either wait until it gets cheaper, or I'll buy it at full RRP and regret it lots later. :p

Having a simpler transformation than Fortress Maximus is... not good. Cos Fort Max already has a pret-ty darn simple transformation as it is! For anyone who may not have played with a G1 Fort Max IRL before, the toy basically lies down to transform! :eek:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/avatars/th_like.jpg

Lord_Zed
10th February 2013, 11:25 PM
I agree that Hasbro tend to make terrible large Transformer toys, though some of there other lines have good large toys. Packaging wise this toy looks a bit like Hasbro's huge Star Wars toys, which I hear were very popular and well made (for Hasbro). So maybe Hasbro has learned what sort of features fans and kids want in a super expensive toy.:confused:

Or maybe it's another one to add to the pile with ROF Devestator.

liegeprime
10th February 2013, 11:51 PM

heheh that caught my attention too, .... what?, it can be used as a beanie but quite acceptable in the runway with an understated cardigan:):p;):D plus you can fry an egg in it.. heheheh

k.wong23
11th February 2013, 12:00 AM
just saw the updated pics on tfw2005 for the actual toy...my god looks amazing! Yes for me :)

Although I agree with Griffin, the alt modes are a little underwhelming...but who displays them like that anyways? :p

KalEl
11th February 2013, 12:25 AM
just saw the updated pics on tfw2005 for the actual toy...my god looks amazing! Yes for me :)

Although I agree with Griffin, the alt modes are a little underwhelming...but who displays them like that anyways? :p

yup it will get transformed back and forth a few times then put in his massive bot mode to stand there gloriously!

5FDP
11th February 2013, 08:19 AM
I so hope this is not bigger than Fort Max. Fort Max should be the biggest given his iconic status, not some random WFC release.

Trent
11th February 2013, 08:28 AM
I so hope this is not bigger than Fort Max. Fort Max should be the biggest given his iconic status, not some random WFC release.

That's just the nostalgia talking. If its a good toy, no reason it can't be as big, or bigger.

Personally I never had Fort Max, never really saw the appeal (hence why I have 0 interest in the encore version). So I'm probably looking at it through a different set of glasses to you. :)

5FDP
11th February 2013, 08:55 AM
That's just the nostalgia talking. If its a good toy, no reason it can't be as big, or bigger.

Personally I never had Fort Max, never really saw the appeal (hence why I have 0 interest in the encore version). So I'm probably looking at it through a different set of glasses to you. :)

I'm referring to both the character and the toy when I use the term 'iconic'. I never had the toy as a kid but I was aware of how revered the character was from reading the comics and watching the cartoons (however brief his appearance was in season 4). He has always been known as the largest Transformer ever and justifiably so. FOC Metroplex doesn't even stack up.

Paulbot
11th February 2013, 09:13 AM
It's a bit of comic bias, but Fort Max was just a taller than average bot in basically all but one (cameo) appearance in the various (Western) TF comics to this day. Whereas Metroplex has always been displayed as incredibly huge. [Maybe the toy should come with a reprint of #186/7?]

Giant Fort Max is a great toy but is best as a standalone display piece (or with his brothers) whereas a new giant Metroplex will look "right" displayed with classics.

I know Fort Max was giant in Rebirth but Metroplex was also huge and got a lot more cartoon screen time through season 3 and was more memorable for it IMHO.

I do agree though that Fort Max as the grail-worthy biggest Transformer is a title he should hang on to although Encore rerelease has dampened it a little. Even though Metroplex might be taller, Fort Max will always be the biggest G1 Transformer and a key piece in a G1 collection.

Tober
11th February 2013, 12:31 PM
So has this actually been confirmed as Fall of Cybertron version, or just Generations/Universe/Whatever..?

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj230/AUST_Tober/metroplex2_1340256720_zps96a6dbf9.jpg

kup
11th February 2013, 12:38 PM
So has this actually been confirmed as Fall of Cybertron version, or just Generations/Universe/Whatever..?

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj230/AUST_Tober/metroplex2_1340256720_zps96a6dbf9.jpg

I think he is more Generations but inspired by FOC. The character model from game to toy is certainly different. They toy seems to borrow elements from both G1 toy and FOC but mostly as a stylized version of the former.

Tetsuwan Convoy
11th February 2013, 12:53 PM

I didn't see any mention of FOC on the box for him, so I am gonna go with a generations version of Metroplex, inspired but FOC.:p

BigTransformerTrev
11th February 2013, 02:01 PM
BBTS has just announced they have FOC Omega Supreme. Checked it out, and it is essentially the Energon Omega they recoloured for the Year of the Snake version with a slightly changed claw. Strangely, that does not make it FOC for me - make one that turns into the massive cool spaceship he flew about as and THAT will be FOC Omega Supreme - not the train/crane/battleship thing that Energon Omega turned into.

griffin
11th February 2013, 02:20 PM
Since the Gen1 version has been the inspiration/basis/framework of the IDW & FOC Metroplex artworks, a toy that is also based on the original Gen1 toy/character is possible to be labelled/grouped as either really... depending on your tastes or fiction exposure.
Since the Generations Label is now including IDW models as well as FOC, the wording in the bio might give a clue as to where this one belongs... but IDW and FOC had fairly similar introductions/backgrounds to Metroplex, so maybe Hasbro is keeping it vague to appeal to both IDW and FOC fans/collectors.

Trent
11th February 2013, 02:35 PM
make one that turns into the massive cool spaceship he flew about as and THAT will be FOC Omega Supreme - not the train/crane/battleship thing that Energon Omega turned into.

You mean like this (http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-3rd-party-discussion/660290-project-genesis.html) one?;)

Lint
11th February 2013, 02:35 PM
I'm in the minority, in that I feel disappointed.

I have to agree. The alt modes on this guy are crap-tastic. I understand that it's probably designed to be some kind of cyberverse legends playset but G1 Metroplex does a better job of looking like a city. I expected much better after 25 years of engineering advances. There are scout-class toys that feature a greater transformation complexity.

That said, I really do appreciate the commitment from Hasbro behind making a toy of this scale and hope it is a success so that better things may follow.

GoktimusPrime
11th February 2013, 03:45 PM

Regardless of which mode you display it in, you'd play with it in both modes! So while I would display it in robot mode, having a poor alt mode would suck each time I transform it while fiddling or full on playing with it. If alt modes didn't matter then I'd probably have a more favourable opinion of Action Masters, Revoltech, Robot Replicas and other such non-transformable rubbish^toys. :p ;)

BBTS has just announced they have FOC Omega Supreme. Checked it out, and it is essentially the Energon Omega they recoloured for the Year of the Snake version with a slightly changed claw. Strangely, that does not make it FOC for me - make one that turns into the massive cool spaceship he flew about as and THAT will be FOC Omega Supreme - not the train/crane/battleship thing that Energon Omega turned into.
Gah... that's disappointing. :( The Energon Omega Supreme mould is so supremely crap IMHO. :( Suddenly Metroplex looks really REALLY good now. ;)

BigTransformerTrev
11th February 2013, 03:51 PM
You mean like this (http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-3rd-party-discussion/660290-project-genesis.html) one?;)

Thats awesome! Way too pricey for me though!

Tetsuwan Convoy
11th February 2013, 06:41 PM
It looks like to me that BBTS is stretching the truth a bit to get a few extra buyers on the YOTS Omega.

Hursticon
11th February 2013, 07:05 PM
What really blew me away about this Beast is something that 1AZRAEL1 mentioned that seems to of been lost in the 'Wonder' of this figure:

Generations Metroplex cost Hasbro $400,000 to tool up! :eek::eek::eek:

That is a HUGE! investment on a toy that in many ways is an incredible gamble. :o

There is a hell of a lot of boxes that this figure ticks for me, namely: 'Giant Robot Toy!' :D:D:D

This bloke is going to have articulated LED pupils!?! :eek:
A mouth-light that flashes (Think Bender from Futurama) in time with the sound gimmick of 'Direct from the game' lines of speech! :D
A legends class Scamper figure. :cool:
A bevy of articulation that no previous city former has had, including articulated fingers. :)
An extremely reminiscent G1 & FoC blended design aesthetic & silhouette in Robot mode! ;)
A G1-esque sticker sheet for all the various details (Apparently to aid in keeping the cost down according to a Hasbro Rep). :cool:
A pair of Alt modes that are directly related to the G1 figure, keeping in-line with the Classicsverse's original design aims. :D

+ He's a GIANT ROBOT TOY!!! :D:cool:

Local acquisition is going to be a pain :rolleyes:, so I will be importing this guy from where ever is the most cost effective place of purchase (as I refuse to deal with Aussie Retail's ineptitude :mad:) but a $150-$200 price-tag is perfectly fine by me. ;):cool:

Who'd of ever thought that Hasbro would ever turn around in this modern era & even contemplate offering a figure that is 2ft tall again? :confused:
Metroplex seems to me like it means/represents a lot of things to Hasbro, such as:

Hasbro simply cannot offer the Encore FortMax to its Western Markets, this is their answer.
This figure does both the G1 Metroplex figure & the Classics/Universe 2.0/Generations/Hunt for The Decepticons/Reveal The Shield lines justice.
It celebrates the 30th Anniversary of Transformers, both as a play pattern & the brand's long standing in Western Popular Culture.
It also represents the single largest toy based on an individual character available to Western (& likely Eastern) markets natively in the world - Nothing at this year's toyfair comes close.

Just imagine Hasbro's delight when all the various toy industry rep's eyes fall upon the Hasbro display booth & this giant robot can be seen from 20+ meters away!, what it says about Hasbro as a company to other companies & what they're able to achieve in this fiscally tight time. ;)

For as much as we think Generations Metroplex is for us, just have a little think of what he must surely mean for Hasbro - Because I think he's just as much for them. ;):)

canofwhoopass_87
11th February 2013, 07:33 PM
@ $400,000 I reckon they coulda done something more than an articulated G1 Metroplex.

You can't deny that Hasbro are taking things in a surprisingly wonderful direction though. This behemoth is clearly exciting a lot of nerds. What's not to like about a massive robot?

GoktimusPrime
11th February 2013, 08:19 PM
What's not to like about a massive robot?
We've had our fair share of really bad big-bum toys; Supreme Cheetor, Energon Omega Supreme, Super Cybertron Starscream, ROTF Combiner Class Devastator...

Being tall and having lots of gimmick is one thing, but whether or not it means that the toy is any good or not remains to be seen. Fortress Maximus, as a Transformer action figure, is pretty ordinary. But as a play set he is just maxed out (no pun intended) with play features and gimmicks that justify the size and price. Will Metroplex be worth paying $200 for? Let's wait and see... :)

BigTransformerTrev
11th February 2013, 08:30 PM
We've had our fair share of really bad big-bum toys; Supreme Cheetor, Energon Omega Supreme, Super Cybertron Starscream, ROTF Combiner Class Devastator...

Ok, I gotta admit that my combiner class ROTF Devastator sucks big time! I cant even get him back together properly since I separated him into his 6 vehicles. But I did quite like Energon Omega Supreme and my giant Cybertron Starscream, I thought they were very cool toys! Never even bothered with Supreme Cheetor though.

Jinto
11th February 2013, 08:45 PM
He looks pretty impressive in 'bot mode, and that's how he'll probably stay in my collection. I never got in to the whole cyberverse thing so I don't think I'd use him as a play set.

Hopefully just long enough for me to get my hands on one! :o

The_Damned
11th February 2013, 08:49 PM
gok if you want to compare the retail price with fort max you have to compare it with what it would retail for here, not the japanese retail price. And i thought energon omega was an awesome transformer.

GoktimusPrime
11th February 2013, 10:24 PM
gok if you want to compare the retail price with fort max you have to compare it with what it would retail for here, not the japanese retail price.
I would if Hasbro released it here*. :/ But unless that happens I only have the Japanese RRP to work off. If Hasbro sells a toy for better value than TakaraTOMY, then I'll give credit to Hasbro, like with many of the recent MPs (especially w/ the upcoming MP Soundwave). For me it's about which toy's gonna give me better value for my money.

-------------------------
*G1 Fortress Maximus was incredibly rare here, I don't know for sure what his original RRP was in 1987, but considering that it retailed in the U.S. for US$90 -- so I might've sold here for maybe $180?? The Japanese RRP might give us a closer indicator because their prices were higher than the US and closer to what we paid. e.g. a single G1 Constructicon retailed for 980JPY ($10), and I remember my G1 Constructicons costing $9 each, so that's reasonably close to the Australian RRP. So Fortress Maximus originally retailed in Japan for 12800JPY or $135. So I'm guesstimating that Fortress Maximus might've cost between $135-180 in Australia; if we average that it comes to $157.50 (let's round it up to $160). It's impossible to confirm how much Fort Max sold here for unless someone has a copy of an Australian store catalogue showing Fort Max from 1987/88. :o Now of course, that was the cost of Fort Max in 1987 -- so we need to adjust for inflation. Let's calculate that based off the difference in price between the JP RRP for G1 and Encore Fort Max. So if the RRP for G1 Fort Max was 12800JPY and Encore Fort Max is 29800JPY - so that's a difference of about 133%. So if we guesstimate the AU RRP of Fort Max in 1987 to be about $160 and increase that by $133, we'd get $373. So I guess that if Hasbro sold Fort Max here, it might cost $370-75. But it's also possible that Hasbro AU might be able to match or better TakTOM's RRP, like they effectively did with MP Soundwave.

kup
11th February 2013, 11:53 PM
Emiliano contributed to Metroplex:

http://santalux.blogspot.com.au/

Hursticon
11th February 2013, 11:58 PM
Emiliano contributed to Metroplex:

http://santalux.blogspot.com.au/

How awesome is it eh? :eek: - He mentioned it via twitter yesterday, a massive boon for him & High Moon Studios I'd reckon - I certainly hope Hasbro gives him the 'go ahead' to release his initial design sketches for Metroplex. :):cool:

kaiden
12th February 2013, 12:24 AM
honestly, i don't like this metroplex. i would have preferred the bulky titan in the actual FOC game comparable to the WFC Omega Supreme. And I would have suggested they make him hollow with all his city gimmicks folding out.

but looking at all his modes, they're very unimpressive (except for the head sculpt -that i like) his robot mode the focus just looks too tall and skinny. my god his waist! its tiny!

griffin
12th February 2013, 01:27 AM
Thinking about it more, I think the simplicity of the transformation is probably borne from a combinations of...
- cost of R&D and production, to bring the toy down as cheap as possible, a simpler design would cost lest to design and engineer (and produce if it has less moveable parts to manufacture).
- the sheer weight of the toy, makes it more difficult for a kid to convert a more complicated toy. Anyone with a Gen1 Fort Max can attest to this - the toy needs to be sitting on the floor when transforming, as it is way too heavy (even for most adults) to do it easily.

If these are reasons (keeping the cost down, if this toy costs a lot less per kilo than other size classes - keeping it simple, if it ends up being very heavy), I'll forgive Hasbro for its simplicity, and happily value it in the collection.

5FDP
12th February 2013, 07:50 AM
I would've loved to be involved in the drop-test for this thing :D

UltraMarginal
12th February 2013, 01:54 PM
What really blew me away about this Beast is something that 1AZRAEL1 mentioned that seems to of been lost in the 'Wonder' of this figure:

Generations Metroplex cost Hasbro $400,000 to tool up! :eek::eek::eek:

That is a HUGE! investment on a toy that in many ways is an incredible gamble. :o

There is a hell of a lot of boxes that this figure ticks for me, namely: 'Giant Robot Toy!' :D:D:D

This bloke is going to have articulated LED pupils!?! :eek:
A mouth-light that flashes (Think Bender from Futurama) in time with the sound gimmick of 'Direct from the game' lines of speech! :D
A legends class Scamper figure. :cool:
A bevy of articulation that no previous city former has had, including articulated fingers. :)
An extremely reminiscent G1 & FoC blended design aesthetic & silhouette in Robot mode! ;)
A G1-esque sticker sheet for all the various details (Apparently to aid in keeping the cost down according to a Hasbro Rep). :cool:
A pair of Alt modes that are directly related to the G1 figure, keeping in-line with the Classicsverse's original design aims. :D

+ He's a GIANT ROBOT TOY!!! :D:cool:

Local acquisition is going to be a pain :rolleyes:, so I will be importing this guy from where ever is the most cost effective place of purchase (as I refuse to deal with Aussie Retail's ineptitude :mad:) but a $150-$200 price-tag is perfectly fine by me. ;):cool:

Who'd of ever thought that Hasbro would ever turn around in this modern era & even contemplate offering a figure that is 2ft tall again? :confused:
Metroplex seems to me like it means/represents a lot of things to Hasbro, such as:

Hasbro simply cannot offer the Encore FortMax to its Western Markets, this is their answer.
This figure does both the G1 Metroplex figure & the Classics/Universe 2.0/Generations/Hunt for The Decepticons/Reveal The Shield lines justice.
It celebrates the 30th Anniversary of Transformers, both as a play pattern & the brand's long standing in Western Popular Culture.
It also represents the single largest toy based on an individual character available to Western (& likely Eastern) markets natively in the world - Nothing at this year's toyfair comes close.

Just imagine Hasbro's delight when all the various toy industry rep's eyes fall upon the Hasbro display booth & this giant robot can be seen from 20+ meters away!, what it says about Hasbro as a company to other companies & what they're able to achieve in this fiscally tight time. ;)

For as much as we think Generations Metroplex is for us, just have a little think of what he must surely mean for Hasbro - Because I think he's just as much for them. ;):)

Well said good sir!

i am very interested in this figure, initially i thought the two alt modes looked a little gangly, though if you look at them at least one must be fairly poorly transformed because the heli Pad is on it's side. unless it's facing upwards and not visible in the photo for the other mode. on closer inspection, there is another larger one that is hard to see in city mode, but it's got a grill/net hanging off the front side like many modern elevated heli pads do for emergency situations (where a helicopter or people go over the side.) that's a very nice touch.

the fact that it's scaled to cyberverse Legion/legends scale classics makes it an awesome display option in either mode, as long as you've got a big enough shelf.:o:rolleyes:

I think they've mixed the game and classics/G1 aesthetic really well, it does look a bit narrow in the waist but perhaps that was necessary. I think there are a lot of nuances to the transformation (I'm looking at the legs mainly at the moment) that involve more "modern engineering" than easily noticeable at first. It's a bit disappointing that the hands don't seem to fold away at all, but I think there will be a fair bit of minute transformation that effects outward aesthetic of each mode.

Griffins comment about size and weight contributing to an apparently simple transformation makes a fair bit of sense.

Walky (shortpacked) also pointed out that it looks like the "road" from the chest to the end of the leg is unobstructed in city mode, this is a big improvement, and allowing unobstructed path like that, while maintaining structural strength in the toys legs is a feat in itself.

I'm quietly looking forward to this, it's going to look fantastic with a dozen legion class figures swarming over it. I'm just trying not to get too excited so i don't make it impossible for it to impress me when i finally get hold of it.

If this is the start of the 30th anniversary celebrations from Hasbro, I can't wait to see what's coming up.:D:eek::cool:

Eazy D
12th February 2013, 02:17 PM
In robot mode I'm a big fan
Nice proportions
Close to the G1 model
Nice gimmicks
Great size

The alt modes are a let down though
The rolling battle station mode looks to be an improvement over the G1 toy but city mode looks like the robot sitting on his a*se doing the splits and holding his arms out.

I agree with Griff that 30 yrs of toy technology should have produced something a little bit more complex than this.

Still. It'll be a great display piece and I'm just happy we're getting a new and BIG metroplex

Bidoofdude
12th February 2013, 06:42 PM
In robot mode I'm a big fan
Nice proportions
Close to the G1 model
Nice gimmicks
Great size

The alt modes are a let down though
The rolling battle station mode looks to be an improvement over the G1 toy but city mode looks like the robot sitting on his a*se doing the splits and holding his arms out.

I agree with Griff that 30 yrs of toy technology should have produced something a little bit more complex than this.

Still. It'll be a great display piece and I'm just happy we're getting a new and BIG metroplex

I actually quite like the two ramp thing alt mode that they displayed at the fair.

kup
15th February 2013, 11:40 AM
http://sphotos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/603945_511351072251068_752795934_n.jpg

The very long legs make Metroplex look very lanky so it's made my excitement level back off a bit.

Paulbot
15th February 2013, 11:48 AM
I knew it was big but this is the first time I've seen in scale with a person! Looks impressive.

Trent
15th February 2013, 01:14 PM
I hope it has some posability it looks pretty average in that photo with its chicken legs together like that.

Tetsuwan Convoy
15th February 2013, 01:44 PM
Yeah, I'd like to see some posability too. That would be the icing on the cake. I am very intriguied, I think I will get one, just to see how it is. It's almost a piece of Transformers History really.

Now for the big question. TakTom - Yay or Nay?

5FDP
15th February 2013, 01:52 PM
The very long legs make Metroplex look very lanky so it's made my excitement level back off a bit.

I'm thinking that it may have been a deliberate move by the designers to lay claim to the 'biggest' Transformer ever. If true, I consider that to be cheating.

griffin
15th February 2013, 02:12 PM
Looks like Fort Max will still be "biggest", as Metroplex will only have the title of "tallest".
I look forward to weighing it when it is released and comparing it to Fort Max's weight.

On a side note - for anyone not browsing the global fansites, an Asian site has uploaded a video clip from Toyfair. It is just filming the actual Transformers toys, but in the process, it is recorded a voice in the back ground that mentions "Metrotitan"... either a fan commenting on a possible redeco option, or a Hasbro Rep suggesting it as being another figure in the "Titan Class".
Since it is barely audible, and not on camera, I'd be keeping this buried deep in the rumour column until someone official says something.

Omega Metro
15th February 2013, 03:54 PM
That wont fit in ANY of my cabinets!:mad:

kup
15th February 2013, 04:51 PM
I'm thinking that it may have been a deliberate move by the designers to lay claim to the 'biggest' Transformer ever. If true, I consider that to be cheating.

I had a similar thought when I saw the pic

GoktimusPrime
16th February 2013, 01:04 AM
Metroplex does look mighty impressive next to that dude. I couldn't find any images of a person holding Fortress Maximus loose for comparison, but here's a picture of a guy holding a boxed Fort Max (http://a4.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/134/16f91b1990f04c3d83cba60b3c825e8e/l.jpg), and as those of us with a Maximus know, the box is about the same size as the toy (http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-CWNo-aO1W7k/UFZLNw_181I/AAAAAAAADMc/gBZVA9sGxBc/s1600/69.jpg). Of course, images of stuff next to people isn't very reliable since we don't really know how big those people are. :o It'd be better if it were placed next to something like a can of Coke or a ruler etc. But even if Metroplex turns out to be 6cm taller than Fort Max, as griffin said Fort Max will probably still reign as the actual biggest Transformer and not just the tallest. ;)

Geminii
16th February 2013, 01:10 AM
Gotta agree with Grif on this one, I think. The bot mode is indeed very spiffy, but the altmodes and quarter-century-old transformation make me think it'll end up as kitbash fodder more than anything else.

Sinnertwin
17th February 2013, 04:54 PM
http://sphotos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/603945_511351072251068_752795934_n.jpg

The more I look at him, the more I get that 'meh' feeling. Sure he's tall, but where's the beef?

Bidoofdude
17th February 2013, 10:19 PM

The more I look at him, the more I get that 'meh' feeling. Sure he's tall, but where's the beef?

Maybe it's just the pose? If you stand most TFs with their legs straight and parallel, they look pretty stupid sometimes.

Hursticon
17th February 2013, 10:22 PM
Maybe it's just the pose? If you stand most TFs with their legs straight and parallel, they look pretty stupid sometimes.

If you compare the above photo with that of the 'Official' promotional one; you'll notice that the figure they had on-show is actually having it's lower legs pressed together by that perspex, as the promotional pics have a clear, distinct & equal gap all the way from the crotch. :eek:

I wonder if this has something to do with it being a painted prototype & that he might be literally bound to the display table so as not to fall over perhaps? :confused:

Geminii
7th March 2013, 12:45 AM
I just realised what it reminded me of.

http://tfarchive.com/creative/content/550/image/monstrocity_3.jpg

Jinto
7th March 2013, 03:27 AM
I just realised what it reminded me of.

http://tfarchive.com/creative/content/550/image/monstrocity_3.jpg

What is the black one? Looks about the same size as the new Metroplex. I didn't see any mention of a previous Metroplex figure that big on tfwiki.

griffin
7th March 2013, 02:34 PM
Looks like a custom figure, or maybe a 3rd party item.

Trent
7th March 2013, 05:23 PM
Looks like a custom figure, or maybe a 3rd party item.

Custom. There is no 3rd party Metroplex.

nexusnixx
7th March 2013, 06:03 PM
was rumored that there is a redeco of Metroplex with minicons ... will wait and see for sure :p

Looks like Fort Max will still be "biggest", as Metroplex will only have the title of "tallest".
I look forward to weighing it when it is released and comparing it to Fort Max's weight.

On a side note - for anyone not browsing the global fansites, an Asian site has uploaded a video clip from Toyfair. It is just filming the actual Transformers toys, but in the process, it is recorded a voice in the back ground that mentions "Metrotitan"... either a fan commenting on a possible redeco option, or a Hasbro Rep suggesting it as being another figure in the "Titan Class".
Since it is barely audible, and not on camera, I'd be keeping this buried deep in the rumour column until someone official says something.

Geminii
8th March 2013, 08:38 PM
What is the black one?

It's MONSTROCITY (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-images/radicons-customs/Macromasters/Monstrocity/), a Macromaster.

Mythirax
8th March 2013, 09:23 PM
It's MONSTROCITY (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-images/radicons-customs/Macromasters/Monstrocity/), a Macromaster.

That's pretty cool, just an odd looking head :D

Geminii
9th March 2013, 10:55 AM

I kinda like it - the head looks like it could have been formed out of a building, rather than Metroplex's very obvious robo-noggin sticking out in altmode.

Mythirax
11th March 2013, 04:59 PM
I kinda like it - the head looks like it could have been formed out of a building, rather than Metroplex's very obvious robo-noggin sticking out in altmode.

Good point, that actually makes sense :D

bassbot
18th March 2013, 10:37 PM
I really think its also gonna lo pretty wicked on the retail shelves, and that'll make it hard to say no!

Mythirax
20th March 2013, 02:48 AM
I really think its also gonna lo pretty wicked on the retail shelves, and that'll make it hard to say no!

Any giant transformer related box looks awesome on the shelves. As they're so rare to see here :(

liegeprime
20th March 2013, 08:48 AM
What is the black one? Looks about the same size as the new Metroplex. I didn't see any mention of a previous Metroplex figure that big on tfwiki.

Monstrocity is a custom by Don Figueroa, he even has a Macromasters comic made up (drawn and written personally by him) to sorta support the lore of these new creations of his. Can't remember where I read it, it's unfinished though, just a few chapters. Trypticon is now used as a giant space hotel casino :D and the decepticons under Scourge are raking it in, legitimate business wise hehehe

5FDP
20th March 2013, 08:48 AM
Any giant transformer related box looks awesome on the shelves. As they're so rare to see here :(

What, Jetwing Optimus Prime doesn't count? ;) :p

liegeprime
20th March 2013, 08:50 AM

That horrid thing? oh and that Fairy Winx club reject Prime doesn't count as well....

GoktimusPrime
20th March 2013, 09:34 AM
I see your Jetwing Optimus Prime, and raise you a ROTF Combiner Class Devastator. ;)

Mythirax
20th March 2013, 10:20 AM

Never seen one in stores myself.

That horrid thing? oh and that Fairy Winx club reject Prime doesn't count as well....

As in Ultimate Optimas Prime? I actually really like this one. Still imo not the biggest box.

I see your Jetwing Optimus Prime, and raise you a ROTF Combiner Class Devastator. ;)

I still have that box sitting next to me. I do love it, shame they don't individually transform.

GoktimusPrime
20th March 2013, 01:15 PM
I still have that box sitting next to me. I do love it, shame they don't individually transform.
The toys themselves have a Happy Meal level of engineering. The Legends Class figures are a gazillion times superior at a fraction of the price! (plus it comes with Overload!)

Mythirax
20th March 2013, 01:26 PM
The toys themselves have a Happy Meal level of engineering. The Legends Class figures are a gazillion times superior at a fraction of the price! (plus it comes with Overload!)

I actually only found out about those ones this year. I can't believe I never saw them in store.

GoktimusPrime
20th March 2013, 09:02 PM
I actually only found out about those ones this year. I can't believe I never saw them in store.
They did shelfwarm for quite a long time, despite their awesomeness. I suspect that the problem may have been that Hasbro took too long to release them, i.e. by time they came out, the ROTF hype had fizzled down. They had a TRU exclusive all green repaint of this set too, that also shelf warmed.

Sinnertwin
20th March 2013, 10:06 PM
They did shelfwarm for quite a long time, despite their awesomeness. I suspect that the problem may have been that Hasbro took too long to release them, i.e. by time they came out, the ROTF hype had fizzled down. They had a TRU exclusive all green repaint of this set too, that also shelf warmed.

I went Devastator crazy and bought all 3 versions. Great engineering for such small figures

Mythirax
21st March 2013, 05:55 AM

I went Devastator crazy and bought all 3 versions. Great engineering for such small figures

Gah sucks, I'll get around to getting one, one day :D

Gouki
21st March 2013, 06:50 AM

Well of course it shelf warmed, wasn't the 'G1' repaint, like, $70? Hate you so much Toys R Us pricing people.

DarkHyren
21st March 2013, 07:02 AM
Well of course it shelf warmed, wasn't the 'G1' repaint, like, $70? Hate you so much Toys R Us pricing people.The plus side though is that they eventually did mark them down for clearance, at least they did at my local store, got two of them for $30 each which I considered a good buy.

Gouki
21st March 2013, 07:21 AM
The plus side though is that they eventually did mark them down for clearance, at least they did at my local store, got two of them for $30 each which I considered a good buy.

Ah damn that's not fair! The only TRU I get to regularly are Highpoint and occasionally Northland. Both of them seem to magically run out of stock after months and months and months of gathering dust, just because I decide 'stuff it I'll pay the full price'. I'm sure Universe Predacon and Stormcloud (or Dreadwing--one of the Ultras) sat on the shelves for about 15 months, no clearances, no sales. Nothing. Just a thick layer of dust. Until I wanted them.

Mythirax
21st March 2013, 08:22 AM
Ah damn that's not fair! The only TRU I get to regularly are Highpoint and occasionally Northland. Both of them seem to magically run out of stock after months and months and months of gathering dust, just because I decide 'stuff it I'll pay the full price'. I'm sure Universe Predacon and Stormcloud (or Dreadwing--one of the Ultras) sat on the shelves for about 15 months, no clearances, no sales. Nothing. Just a thick layer of dust. Until I wanted them.

Always the way man, always.

GoktimusPrime
21st March 2013, 04:45 PM
Well of course it shelf warmed, wasn't the 'G1' repaint, like, $70? Hate you so much Toys R Us pricing people.
tru dat. ;)

griffin
14th April 2013, 03:11 PM
It's still about 6 months away, but the teaser images for Metroplex are now being released... showing off how tall it will be compared to the just-released Fortress Maximus (http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/transformers-generations-titan-class-metroplex-teaser-images/27064/).

Metroplex may be taller, but he won't be the biggest... by sheer volume and weight, I think that title will stay with Fort Max.

Tetsuwan Convoy
14th April 2013, 03:36 PM
Hmm, not an inspiring picture that one. I bet Max is taller if you raised his arm over his head too...

They need to change the wording from Largest to tallest methinks.

nexusnixx
14th April 2013, 04:39 PM
definitely the title of largest goes to fort max...... metroplex should be tallest...

marketing gimmick... bigger better....

Sinnertwin
14th April 2013, 04:55 PM
Well, tallest just doesn't have the same zing as BIGGEST!!!

GoktimusPrime
14th April 2013, 05:08 PM
Hmm, not an inspiring picture that one. I bet Max is taller if you raised his arm over his head too...
+1. I'd be 'taller' than griffin if I did a bunny ear with my hand behind his head. :p :rolleyes: I'd like to see a normal standing comparison to show the difference in head height.

And as everyone has already noticed, tallest =/= largest.
At 229cm, Yao Ming (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a7/YaoMingonoffense2.jpg/220px-YaoMingonoffense2.jpg) may be taller than Dwayne Johnson (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-n2HVYs3frBo/T9iKyI0F5CI/AAAAAAAAAgw/rKd4MnXWrS4/s1600/dwayne-johnson-workout.jpg) (196cm) -- but Dwayne Johnson is physically the larger man. ;) The thing about Fortress Maximus that makes him impressive isn't just his height, it's the sheer bulk of the toy to match! If people were only impressed by height alone, then Supreme Cheetor wouldn't have shelfwarmed as awfully as it did. :p

Fortress Maximus -- he's tall and he's tank! :D

sideswipes brother
14th April 2013, 06:16 PM
Tallest, biggest who gives a rats. As long as Metroplex delivers the goods ill be very happy.

Omega Metro
14th April 2013, 06:33 PM
Metroplex may not be the biggest but he is definately better looking than that blockhead Fort Max. Oh, and less stickers too!:)

Lord_Zed
14th April 2013, 06:45 PM
Tallest, biggest who gives a rats. As long as Metroplex delivers the goods ill be very happy.

Bingo!

Gouki
14th April 2013, 06:54 PM

But clearly if it's good doesn't matter, all that matters in imaginary pissing contest with a different toy.:P

5FDP
15th April 2013, 08:14 AM
But clearly if it's good doesn't matter, all that matters in imaginary pissing contest with a different toy.:P

To whom?

Gouki
15th April 2013, 10:31 AM
To whom?

The internets. Clearly. Hence complaints about "Oh no his shoulder is bent to make it look like he's patting the smaller bot on the head". Well that's what the photo said to me. And the subsequent complaints in various places about how it means they're trying to trick people with the size.

I'm excited for Metroplex (though I'd prefer an Ultra/Leader IDW Fort Max). The fact that he has modern toy engineering is a big draw, since I love to pose my toys and it does help them take up a little less room.

5FDP
15th April 2013, 11:12 AM
The internets. Clearly. Hence complaints about "Oh no his shoulder is bent to make it look like he's patting the smaller bot on the head". Well that's what the photo said to me. And the subsequent complaints in various places about how it means they're trying to trick people with the size.

Point these 'internets' out to me will you... I'll beat them up for you. Or better still...

FEED THEM TO THE SHARKTICONS!!

http://feedthemtothesharkticons.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/sharkticon-spread.jpg

;) :rolleyes:

Tallestblue
15th April 2013, 11:49 AM
Well, tallest just doesn't have the same zing as BIGGEST!!!

Ow. my feels.

Gouki
15th April 2013, 12:31 PM
Point these 'internets' out to me will you... I'll beat them up for you. Or better still...

FEED THEM TO THE SHARKTICONS!!

http://feedthemtothesharkticons.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/sharkticon-spread.jpg

;) :rolleyes:

All I have to do is hear the word Sharkticon, and I picture Hot Rod breaking that ones teeth in the movie.

Omega Metro
15th April 2013, 12:40 PM

I'm excited for Metroplex (though I'd prefer an Ultra/Leader IDW Fort Max). The fact that he has modern toy engineering is a big draw, since I love to pose my toys and it does help them take up a little less room.

^this!

GoktimusPrime
15th April 2013, 05:06 PM
+1 for an IDW Fort Max (though Voyager would suit be fine too :)).

While Metroplex will invariably be better than Fort Max as a newer toy, one needs to compare them in context of their vintage. By 1987 standards, Fortress Maximus is an outstanding toy. How will Metroplex fare by 2013/14 standards? The thing to be mindful of is that there's a good 26-27 year gap between Fortress Maximus and Generations Metroplex. Will the past quarter century's worth of engineering advances be adequately reflected in Metroplex? I'm not saying it's one way or the other - obviously none of us can yet answer this question yet; we'll all form our own opinions on this after Gen. Metroplex hits store shelves. ;)

But yeah, if someone's gonna do a comparison shot between these two toys, why not just do a full body side by side comparison shot? That way we can more accurately compare not only height, but bulk and design as well. Comparisons aren't only done for the sake of size comparisons -- I personally like seeing comparisons for design aspects too, like putting G1 and Classicsverse figures side by side (http://otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=9742) to show how the same toy-character has been reinterpreted with contemporary engineering/design standards. :) It'd be great to see a G1 and Generations Metroplex side by side comparison shots too.

Sinnertwin
15th April 2013, 07:55 PM
Those visible hands aren't doing a lot to convince me of engineering advances.

ons
19th April 2013, 03:06 AM
Not sure if it's been mentioned but BBTS (US$230) and TFsource (US$250) have it on pre-order coming Sept 2013.

http://tfsource.com/japanese-generations/tg23-metroplex/
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=TAK11692&mode=retail

I'm not sure if that's a good price or if there's better avenues of obtaining Metroplex. Just thought I'd share it.

griffin
19th April 2013, 03:21 AM
That's the JP version, which is why it is twice the US RRP. (in case anyone was worried that the US Metroplex was suddenly costing more... which would translate to a lot more here)

Trent
19th April 2013, 07:09 AM
Somehow I doubt it will look twice as good.

crankcase76
21st April 2013, 09:32 PM
Just found that TFsource has the japanse tak/tomy up for pre order for $249.00 US. Already got mine in. :)

ARRHHH,:mad: just logged in to RK and they have it also up for pre order for $169.90.

should have checked them out first.:(

GoktimusPrime
21st April 2013, 10:36 PM
I don't get it... why not just wait for the Hasbro version? When is this toy slated to come out?

crankcase76
21st April 2013, 10:43 PM
I don't get it... why not just wait for the Hasbro version? When is this toy slated to come out?

guess i like the look of the Tak/tomy version, plus as you know that the Hasbro versions always look a lot cheaper with the color schemes( especially with the greys plastics ). Due out in Sept.

GoktimusPrime
22nd April 2013, 08:44 AM
guess i like the look of the Tak/tomy version, plus as you know that the Hasbro versions always look a lot cheaper with the color schemes( especially with the greys plastics).
Yeah, but it all depends on the price. I got Hasbro MP10 Optimus Prime because it was a LOT cheaper (about $76 cheaper than TakTOM's RRP, not incl. postage). I've decided to get TakTOM's Beast Hunter Voyager Optimus Prime because even including postage, the price works out to be nearly the same as the Hasbro version here. While the TakaraTOMY versions are often nicer looking, to me it also depends on the price difference and whether I think it's worth paying for the differences. :)

Due out in Sept.
Hmmm... I'm gonna be overseas in late Sept/early Oct... if I happen to find one in my travels at an acceptable price I might grab one and bring it home with me (probably have to carry it on my lap in the plane. :p)

Omega Metro
22nd April 2013, 09:57 AM
Hmm, sounds like its gonna be a shelf warmer. With different versions and local stores selling them, it should be in abundance!:)

GoktimusPrime
22nd April 2013, 12:23 PM
Hmm, sounds like its gonna be a shelf warmer. With different versions and local stores selling them, it should be in abundance!:)
Yeah, good point. I don't think I'll be bothering importing this toy.

Tetsuwan Convoy
22nd April 2013, 01:39 PM
guess i like the look of the Tak/tomy version, plus as you know that the Hasbro versions always look a lot cheaper with the color schemes( especially with the greys plastics ). Due out in Sept.

Um, just think I should point this out, the image they use for Metroplex has a little disclaimer saying it's the overseas version of Metroplex, so theoretically, that is the US version in the pic.

5FDP
22nd April 2013, 02:19 PM

Exactly ;) My guess is that they'll be heavily discounted 6 months after release. If I see one for the right price, I just might be tempted.

Bidoofdude
22nd April 2013, 06:43 PM
I'd honestly kinda like the toy to shelfwarm for a tiny bit, as it would give me more time to find it and have the cash ready. :);) (unlike the MPs ;):()

Sinnertwin
22nd April 2013, 07:26 PM
I'll be waiting 'til the shelves are nice and toasty.

GoktimusPrime
22nd April 2013, 11:13 PM
A carded toy has an average shelf life expectancy of 1 year. The average boxed toy, 2 years. So seeing this toy sit on shelves for 2 or even 3 years would not necessarily class it as "shelf warmer."

Sinnertwin
22nd April 2013, 11:22 PM
A carded toy has an average shelf life expectancy of 1 year. The average boxed toy, 2 years. So seeing this toy sit on shelves for 2 or even 3 years would not necessarily class it as "shelf warmer."

Two years and not shelf warming? :confused:

griffin
22nd April 2013, 11:48 PM
A carded toy has an average shelf life expectancy of 1 year. The average boxed toy, 2 years.

According to who, or what?

GoktimusPrime
23rd April 2013, 12:52 AM
I read it years ago in a toy magazine (probably ToyFare or Tomart's Action Figure Digest... can't remember now) :o The article was published some time in the mid to late 90s.

5FDP
23rd April 2013, 11:24 AM
It was probably a sponsored ad paid for by Myers to justify why stock isn't exactly flying off their shelves due to their over-the-top pricing ;) Their toy sections always remind me of a collectors museum.

Zommael
23rd April 2013, 12:12 PM
I read it years ago in a toy magazine (probably ToyFare or Tomart's Action Figure Digest... can't remember now) :o The article was published some time in the mid to late 90s.

Things have changed a lot, even since then. Remember that in the 80s a toy store was lucky to get restocks once every six months. These days we see stock being refreshed - even if it's the same items - every few weeks. Deliveries and restocks are now much more frequent than they were even ten years ago. It's part of the reason for the over the top increase in prices.

griffin
23rd April 2013, 02:10 PM

Definitely different now... you can tell by the way they push to retailers at Toyfair that new assortments (figures) will be available on an almost monthly basis, just to keep their shelves looking new to the customers.
Not just with popular lines, but with anything, they have monthly release schedules for retailers to sign up to if they are interested in that product-line.

Just look at how quickly items and size-classes go on clearance at the cheaper Chains.

Tober
25th April 2013, 02:43 PM
Anime Export have listed for about $130 (30% off retail) + shipping when in stock.

Transformers Generation TG-23 Metroplex (http://www.anime-export.com/product/13786)

Bidoofdude
25th April 2013, 04:24 PM
I'm pretty pumped for the release. It can't go any faster!!
Maybe we will end up with a titan class Trypticon/Nemesis, since the second planned wave of legend-class figures are Megs and Screamer and the Autobot legends are made for Metroplex. :cool::rolleyes:

(Just hoping :p:o)

Sutton
25th April 2013, 06:00 PM
I'm pretty pumped for the release. It can't go any faster!!
Maybe we will end up with a titan class Trypticon/Nemesis, since the second planned wave of legend-class figures are Megs and Screamer and the Autobot legends are made for Metroplex. :cool::rolleyes:

(Just hoping :p:o)

Yeah, but it'll just be a repaint of metroplex with a lame dinosaur head and foam tail...:D

Sutton
25th April 2013, 06:02 PM
Those visible hands aren't doing a lot to convince me of engineering advances.

No, that's a real issue for me too...I'm reeeeeeally hoping that this image:

http://www.seibertron.com/images/toys/uploads/1365875557_2.jpg

Is an indication that they will at least be removable, and able to store elsewhere. Not holding out hope though.

Sutton
25th April 2013, 06:06 PM
Also, it's been confirmed that the Takara release will have 2 guns, while the US will only have one - that's a little disappointing since the dual guns is part of his 'look' (for me). Apart from that expect the usual slightly more G1 colouring and chromed thighs.

It'd be super nice if Hastak released a Slammer/Sixgun add on set that integrates with the big guy. Because if they don't, you just know that a 3rd party probably will...

Bidoofdude
25th April 2013, 06:07 PM
That pic in the Hasbro video makes him look HUGE!! :eek:

MP Soundwave is just shorter than his knee!! :eek::)

His legs are also mistransformed in the Toy Fair display. They have horizontal sliders, which are at the inwards position at the NYTF display, rather than the much better looking outwards position, shown in the Hasbro video with all the toys.

(Speaking of the video, it also contains the beast mode paintjob for the Lazerback redeco, as well as the packaging of deluxe Trailcutter (breaker:p) That guy has it good, by the looks of it... :D;))

Sinnertwin
25th April 2013, 07:50 PM
No, that's a real issue for me too...I'm reeeeeeally hoping that this
Is an indication that they will at least be removable, and able to store elsewhere. Not holding out hope though.

I'm not either. You'd think that with all that plastic at their disposal somebody would've been able to work out a way to fold them into the forearms. If theyre removable, that's just plain lazy. But then, why photograph it like that showing them? Meh, i need a coffee

Sutton
26th April 2013, 09:57 PM
Just to confuse things further, Robotkingdom has three versions of Metro up for pre-order now, Hasbro ($129), Takara ($169) and an HK-SDCC version ($179), whatever that is...

lancalot
26th April 2013, 10:18 PM
Just to confuse things further, Robotkingdom has three versions of Metro up for pre-order now, Hasbro ($129), Takara ($169) and an HK-SDCC version ($179), whatever that is...

And also a HK-toyshow version as well....::rolleyes: maybe a tiny differences like blues eye maybe...? So who going to collect all 4? :eek:

http://www.half.com.bn/transformers-generations-titan-class-metroplex/

Mythirax
26th April 2013, 10:52 PM
And also a HK-toyshow version as well....::rolleyes: maybe a tiny differences like blues eye maybe...? So who going to collect all 4? :eek:

http://www.half.com.bn/transformers-generations-titan-class-metroplex/

I'd be wrapped with just the Hasbro one ^^

Ultra Mackness
2nd May 2013, 05:46 AM
I'm loving the comparison shots that have been showing up on seibertron.com, especially this latest one:

http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/transformers-generations-titan-class-metroplex-teaser-images-continue/27207/

Not sure which version to get, but I'd love to see All 4 in a line up!

Soundwarp
2nd May 2013, 06:46 AM
I'm loving the comparison shots that have been showing up on seibertron.com, especially this latest one:

http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/transformers-generations-titan-class-metroplex-teaser-images-continue/27207/

Not sure which version to get, but I'd love to see All 4 in a line up!

OMG My shelves are not big enough

griffin
2nd May 2013, 01:43 PM
Some of the other recent teaser images being posted up - another with Gen1 Metroplex (http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/another-transformers-generations-titan-class-metroplex-size-comparison-teaser/27195/), and with a couple Legends and Data Discs (http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/more-transformers-generations-titan-class-metroplex-teaser-images/27189/).

Sinnertwin
3rd May 2013, 09:45 AM
Images of Scamper with his G1 counterpart
http://www.seibertron.com/energonpub/transformers-generations-titan-class-metroplex-teaser-images-t93972s190.php

Ode to a Grasshopper
3rd May 2013, 11:01 AM
I'm not either. You'd think that with all that plastic at their disposal somebody would've been able to work out a way to fold them into the forearms. If theyre removable, that's just plain lazy. But then, why photograph it like that showing them? Meh, i need a coffeeI could get behind a Rocket Punch gimmick.:D

jazzcomp
3rd May 2013, 11:29 AM
That's cheap compared to TFsource takara of $249
http://tfsource.com/japanese-generations/tg23-metroplex/

1orion2many
3rd May 2013, 11:46 AM
Sigh! My problem is I haven't been collecting the FOC line as it didn't appeal to me but I am interested in this one. :o

nexusnixx
3rd May 2013, 11:54 AM
will do my best to get all 4 for keep sake... ha haha... but I know the SDCC version will be pricey for sure.... :p anyone keen to join in the bandwagon....

one time at band camp...

Kazza
4th May 2013, 12:02 AM
will do my best to get all 4 for keep sake... ha haha... but I know the SDCC version will be pricey for sure.... :p anyone keen to join in the bandwagon....

one time at band camp...

Yeah i'm getting all 4, to me metroplex is what fortress maximus is to others.

canofwhoopass_87
4th May 2013, 10:39 AM
Considering getting this guy now - simply because he's a big ass robot. However I'm really keen on seeing people's acquisition photos first. That super generic robot mode photo provided by Hasbro doesn't do much to convince me of his poseability if I were to put him on display

Blink90210
4th May 2013, 10:53 AM

Same with me (assuming that others think he's an awesome large city-former).

nexusnixx
4th May 2013, 11:17 AM
Yo Kazza & Blink90210,

will you guys have a source to get the SDCC version.. i know it will be pricey for us here in Australia...

I am quite confident in getting the other 3...

Blink90210
4th May 2013, 12:07 PM
No leads yet at this stage, I'll let you know of course but I personally might just go for the regular Hasbro :(

lancalot
4th May 2013, 03:46 PM
Yo Kazza & Blink90210,

will you guys have a source to get the SDCC version.. i know it will be pricey for us here in Australia...

I am quite confident in getting the other 3...

hey i might be interested in that version if there major differences about him... like the striker prime where the orig just grey but the Asia is chromed ... but if it nothing than i stick to local ...

5FDP
4th May 2013, 05:31 PM

Same with me (assuming that others think he's an awesome large city-former).

I'm a little bit confused by comments such as these and the constant comparisons between Fortress Maximus and FOC Metroplex. Sure they're both 'cityformers' and by default, quite large, but that's all as far as I can see.

Fortress Maximus is an almost 30 year old toy and in essence a brick with little articulation. His desirability comes from mostly vintage collectors, who up until recently could not afford one.

FOC Metroplex is a yet-to-be-released toy which will no doubt be made in abundance and no one up until this point has laid their hands on it to give any indication as to whether or not it's actually any good.

Can someone explain this to me please?

nexusnixx
4th May 2013, 06:11 PM
got a feeling it will be just the box art will be different... plus that all important SDCC2013 sticker :p

hey i might be interested in that version if there major differences about him... like the striker prime where the orig just grey but the Asia is chromed ... but if it nothing than i stick to local ...

theshape
4th May 2013, 07:53 PM
Will this toy be available in Kmart etc here?

griffin
4th May 2013, 08:20 PM
It's available to any retailer that wants to stock it. In other words, it shouldn't be a store exclusive, unless only one store chain picks it up.

lancalot
5th May 2013, 12:17 PM
got a feeling it will be just the box art will be different... plus that all important SDCC2013 sticker :p

Man that very tempting to collect a SDCC2013 sticker for the extra $ cost! :rolleyes: NOT ..... but i think it might just come with the shaded paint job like the promo picture ..

Blink90210
7th May 2013, 01:45 PM
I'm a little bit confused by comments such as these and the constant comparisons between Fortress Maximus and FOC Metroplex. Sure they're both 'cityformers' and by default, quite large, but that's all as far as I can see.

Fortress Maximus is an almost 30 year old toy and in essence a brick with little articulation. His desirability comes from mostly vintage collectors, who up until recently could not afford one.

FOC Metroplex is a yet-to-be-released toy which will no doubt be made in abundance and no one up until this point has laid their hands on it to give any indication as to whether or not it's actually any good.

Can someone explain this to me please?

Speaking for myself, you've pretty much hit it on the head - he's a the "big city Transformer" which I never imagined I could ever own. It's got nothing to do with engineering or the character, it's the perception that he was mythically huge (I grew up in Malaysia and don't recall ever seeing it in person in my youth).
Hope that helps :)

griffin
7th May 2013, 02:33 PM
A couple more teaser images (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/generations-classics-44/generations-metroplex-new-images-177404/) of Metroplex and Scamper to show off the articulation.

liegeprime
7th May 2013, 03:26 PM
hmmm that big a figure and no ankle tilts...:(

Mythirax
7th May 2013, 03:31 PM
A couple more teaser images (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/generations-classics-44/generations-metroplex-new-images-177404/) of Metroplex and Scamper to show off the articulation.

Wow, that looks amazing :O

VGMStudios
7th May 2013, 03:34 PM
I see your RK $170 and raise you $135 @ anime export.

As a rule of thumb I always check different sites for the best possible price.

Mythirax
7th May 2013, 04:44 PM
I see your RK $170 and raise you $135 @ anime export.

As a rule of thumb I always check different sites for the best possible price.

Never even heard of anime export. You dealt with them before? Not a bad price to get Metroplex for.

5FDP
8th May 2013, 09:43 AM
Speaking for myself, you've pretty much hit it on the head - he's a the "big city Transformer" which I never imagined I could ever own. It's got nothing to do with engineering or the character, it's the perception that he was mythically huge (I grew up in Malaysia and don't recall ever seeing it in person in my youth).
Hope that helps :)

Fair enough :) Was just curious how someone could get so excited for an unreleased toy and compare it to one that has been around for nearly 30 years and widely considered the 'grail' of Transformers collecting. I think that they're both great in their own right.

Omega Metro
8th May 2013, 10:47 AM
Fair enough :) Was just curious how someone could get so excited for an unreleased toy and compare it to one that has been around for nearly 30 years and widely considered the 'grail' of Transformers collecting. I think that they're both great in their own right.

I have a Fortress Maximus but think its a big pile of garbage because its a brick. But I still have it in my collection because I 'need' a Cityformer. Metroplex on the other hand is my 'must have' (can't be any worse than a 30 year old brick) due to modern looks and engineering.:)

Trent
8th May 2013, 01:04 PM
I have a Fortress Maximus but think its a big pile of garbage because its a brick. But I still have it in my collection because I 'need' a Cityformer. Metroplex on the other hand is my 'must have' (can't be any worse than a 30 year old brick) due to modern looks and engineering.:)

Bit cheaper too ;)

Sinnertwin
8th May 2013, 01:23 PM
Bit cheaper too ;)

That's an unfortunate carry over from Hasbro saving on R&D and materials. The price isn't too bad either ;)

Deonasis
8th May 2013, 03:09 PM
I have a Fortress Maximus but think its a big pile of garbage because its a brick. But I still have it in my collection because I 'need' a Cityformer. Metroplex on the other hand is my 'must have' (can't be any worse than a 30 year old brick) due to modern looks and engineering.:)i understand the lack of joints on FM can be annoying but he is still a great piece of design and engineering (particularly citymode and the headheadmaster-ness). Yes Generations Metroplex is big and poseable but neither alt modes seems superior to his original toy or the Fort Max citymode.

Omega Metro
8th May 2013, 04:41 PM
i understand the lack of joints on FM can be annoying but he is still a great piece of design and engineering (particularly citymode and the headheadmaster-ness). Yes Generations Metroplex is big and poseable but neither alt modes seems superior to his original toy or the Fort Max citymode.

It's superior in my eyes cos it new and modern.

Deonasis
8th May 2013, 05:44 PM
It's superior in my eyes cos it new and modern.Yep, it definately is those things. I think they are both great, my tiny gripe with new Metroplex is how his hands remain visible in every mode but i can overlook it especially if more cityformers appear.

GoktimusPrime
8th May 2013, 08:14 PM
I have a Fortress Maximus but think its a big pile of garbage because its a brick.
It's a G1 toy, what did you expect? Transformers as articulated action figures didn't come along until mid-late G2, and wasn't standardised until Beast Wars.

But I still have it in my collection because I 'need' a Cityformer. Metroplex on the other hand is my 'must have' (can't be any worse than a 30 year old brick) due to modern looks and engineering.:)

It's superior in my eyes cos it new and modern.
Remember that when comparing a modern toy with an older one, one needs to evaluate them in context of the time that the toy was originally created/released. I fail to see the logic of comparing old school designed toys with modern day standards.

When looking at older toys, I think it's pertinent to examine them in the context of their day. How many G1 toys did you honestly look at - at the time of their initial release - hold it in your hands and think, "Gee this is an utter failure of a toy!" I don't know about you, but when I was collecting G1 during the 1980s/90s, for the most part I would get a new toy and thought it was just excellent! By G1 standards as an action figure Fortress Maximus was pretty ordinary, I'll give you that. Of all the 1987 Headmasters, Fort Max has the most simplistic transformation into his modes. Scorponok and the Headmaster Horrorcons were much better designed triple-changing Headmasters. So compared to them, Fort Max is the least impressive in terms of transformation schemes, but not necessarily terrible per se. But of course, another big appeal of Fortress Maximus is the size -- and not just being big for big's sake; more than just an action figure, Fortress Maximus is a playset for other Transformers. And whereas 1986's Metroplex was a playset for the smaller carded toys, Fort Max was a playset for both the smaller carded toys _and_ their larger boxed cousins! :eek: Throw in the double Headmasters gimmick and pow... one BIG and impressive action figure X playset!

Will Generations Metroplex be better engineered than Fortress Maximus? Undoubtedly. But will it be better engineered in relative terms? Well... that's something that remains to be seen (and none of us can really accurately judge until the toy comes out). But IMO if we are to compare these toys, Fortress Maximus should be evaluated by 1987 standards whereas Generations Metroplex ought to be evaluated by 2013 standards. As griffin said, Gen. Metroplex has an additional twenty six years worth of advances in toy engineering behind it! We _should_ have higher standards for this toy than we would for Fortress Maximus! Fortress Maximus is the product of 3 years' worth of toy engineering success... Generations Metroplex will be the product of 30 years' worth of toy engineering success.

k.wong23
8th May 2013, 08:54 PM
So would people suggest to pre order this overseas or think it will definitely come to our shelves?

Trent
8th May 2013, 10:44 PM
So would people suggest to pre order this overseas or think it will definitely come to our shelves?

Well supposedly we are getting it but there are no garantees. One thing to remember though is that shipping on this figure will be massive. That factor alone would be enough for some people to risk waiting for it to show up at local retail.

Another point is the sheer number of this toy being produced. I bet that this toy will be available for a while. It cost Hasbro $400K to produce. So they are gonna milk this mould for all it's worth you can count on that.

Sinnertwin
8th May 2013, 10:55 PM
It cost Hasbro $400K to produce.

Where'd all that money go? Design's worth about $400 including the lunch tab, so that leaves $399,600 for manufacturing and packaging costs?

Gouki
9th May 2013, 06:07 AM
Where'd all that money go? Design's worth about $400 including the lunch tab, so that leaves $399,600 for manufacturing and packaging costs?

So you've played with Metroplex? Awesome! What's he like?

Sinnertwin
9th May 2013, 07:52 AM
So you've played with Metroplex? Awesome! What's he like?

Took it back and got an exchange for an electric blanket

canofwhoopass_87
9th May 2013, 09:44 PM

Spot on hehe!

The initial "oh man it's a massive robot" appeal is slowly wearing off for me. If it's available locally I'll probably pick one up, but I agree the design really doesn't feel like it's anything other than a G1 Metroplex with some joints. The base mode is a bit sad really. IMO anyway...

Bidoofdude
9th May 2013, 09:45 PM
I just would really like a hulking centerpiece classics figure and this dude looks the treat for me! :cool::D

Omega Metro
9th May 2013, 09:57 PM
I just would really like a hulking centerpiece classics figure and this dude looks the treat for me! :cool::D

Spot on!

Tober
9th May 2013, 10:08 PM
It's a giant 2' robot play-set with a simple transformation that is size-compatible with legends sized figures.

C'mon Hasbro! Anyone would think you're making this for children! :mad:

;)

Sky Shadow
10th May 2013, 10:47 AM
C'mon Hasbro! Anyone would think you're making this for children! :mad:

On the subject of which... who let these kids (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/generations-classics-44/generations-metroplex-new-official-images-177432/) into the collection room? This one looks like he's about to push over poor Metroplex:

http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/3294/a24110000dadtransformer.jpg

Gouki
10th May 2013, 10:58 AM
That. Is. Impressive.

I cannot wait to own one and I cannot wait for some non-Hasbro pictures to come out because Hasbro has never been good at posing their products.

GoktimusPrime
10th May 2013, 11:29 AM
That. Is. Impressive.

I cannot wait to own one and I cannot wait for some non-Hasbro pictures to come out because Hasbro has never been good at posing their products.
Or transforming correctly. :p Although Hasbro doesn't do their own photography, it's outsourced and the photographers often don't know how to transform or pose toys correctly. But having said that, how come Takara's photos are often transformed and posed quite nicely? Does Takara do their own in-house photography or are their outsourced photographers just gooderer at taking toy pics? :confused:

Bidoofdude
10th May 2013, 06:23 PM
New, unphotoshopped Hasbro pics are up on various news sites. Looks pretty cool and he comes up to about the thigh or waist of the kid, IINM.:cool:

griffin
10th May 2013, 07:00 PM
The new images with some kids playing with a Metroplex toy (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/generations-classics-44/generations-metroplex-new-official-images-177432/).

If this thing is gonna be ready for SDCC at the start of July, I really hope Hasbro has some for sale at BotCon the week before.

nexusnixx
10th May 2013, 07:09 PM
looks like a typical 70s toy commercial... ha ha ha

Tabias Prime
11th May 2013, 08:08 PM
Im not sure if I would be order this from Robot Kingdom, I just did a pre-order calculation for shipping to Australia, they only give you the option of EMS for shipping BTW....total shipping $106.64 plus the price of Metroplex $129.90..which brings it to the total of $236.54.:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Well I know what I wont be buying anytime soon...I Love my Transformers but not when I'm paying nearly as much in freight as I am for the toy..

Sinnertwin
11th May 2013, 08:52 PM
Im not sure if I would be order this from Robot Kingdom, I just did a pre-order calculation for shipping to Australia, they only give you the option of EMS for shipping BTW....total shipping $106.64 plus the price of Metroplex $129.90..which brings it to the total of $236.54.:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Well I know what I wont be buying anytime soon...I Love my Transformers but not when I'm paying nearly as much in freight as I am for the toy..

Ouch. If all goes well, he's listed for a September local release. Hopefully for those interesed he'll be at a more competitive price. I'm guessing +/- $150-$160?

Golden Phoenix
11th May 2013, 10:00 PM
Ouch. If all goes well, he's listed for a September local release. Hopefully for those interesed he'll be at a more competitive price. I'm guessing +/- $150-$160?

I think the only way to make it worth it is to pad the order out with other figures.

I had a pile of loot at BBTS that was sitting at about $300 with a postage cost of $50. Added an Encore Fort Max and the shipping only went up by $50.

Might have to build up another pile......

Sinnertwin
11th May 2013, 10:07 PM
I think the only way to make it worth it is to pad the order out with other figures.
I had a pile of loot at BBTS that was sitting at about $300 with a postage cost of $50. Added an Encore Fort Max and the shipping only went up by $50.
Might have to build up another pile......

For sure, GP, for sure. That's what i intend in doing with FM and my nexy PoL.

Mythirax
12th May 2013, 12:50 AM
The new images with some kids playing with a Metroplex toy (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/generations-classics-44/generations-metroplex-new-official-images-177432/).

If this thing is gonna be ready for SDCC at the start of July, I really hope Hasbro has some for sale at BotCon the week before.

I love how in one of the images of him transformed into the base. You can see one of his arms folded behind him. Looks a lot nicer not having them in plain sight in base mode. Can't wait to get one even more now!

5FDP
13th May 2013, 08:55 AM

+1

If I decide to get this, I'm waiting on a local release. It might work out to be about $50 cheaper, but at least it will be less than importing one.

UltraMarginal
13th May 2013, 03:34 PM
It cost Hasbro $400K to produce. So they are gonna milk this mould for all it's worth you can count on that.

Where did you get that number? just out of curiosity.

you're joking right:confused:

Trent
13th May 2013, 06:07 PM

Somewhere here I think. Az said the same thing here (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showpost.php?p=341174&postcount=44) so at least I know I didn't dream it, but I can't seem to find exactly where it stated it. :o

Sinnertwin
14th May 2013, 12:01 AM
you're joking right:confused:

Yes, albeit sarcastically, i was. Im not a fan of this figure, but each to their own :)

Kazza
21st May 2013, 12:02 AM
Did the HK version get cancelled? Robot Kingdom no longer have it available for pre-order/sale.

Golden Phoenix
21st May 2013, 10:57 AM
Did the HK version get cancelled? Robot Kingdom no longer have it available for pre-order/sale.

Maybe they weren't able to get a hold of any stock.

Hursticon
28th May 2013, 10:55 PM

Somewhere here I think. Az said the same thing here (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showpost.php?p=341174&postcount=44) so at least I know I didn't dream it, but I can't seem to find exactly where it stated it. :o

That quote was derived from an on-floor Hasbro Rep at the Toyfair; a pair of blokes I follow on twitter were present as Press, providing live information for a couple of International sites (TFW2005) and they heard the Rep mentioning said figure to a suit, or so he was described :p, as he is thus far the most expensive tooling they invested in for the line. :)

Trent
30th May 2013, 09:20 AM
That quote was derived from an on-floor Hasbro Rep at the Toyfair; a pair of blokes I follow on twitter were present as Press, providing live information for a couple of International sites (TFW2005) and they heard the Rep mentioning said figure to a suit, or so he was described :p, as he is thus far the most expensive tooling they invested in for the line. :)

So it'd be a fair bet that that they'll be repainting this till the cows come home to recoup their costs :)

liegeprime
30th May 2013, 09:40 AM
So it'd be a fair bet that that they'll be repainting this till the cows come home to recoup their costs :)

Metrotitan!! The Decepticons need a base too :D. If they can't produce Trypticon coz it's another huge production due to another mold altogether then might as well make use of this and sell thru retail, instead of going to E hobby where i'ts gonna be cost prohibitive and therefore non profitable for HasTakTom.

Hursticon
30th May 2013, 05:21 PM
Metrotitan!! The Decepticons need a base too :D. If they can't produce Trypticon coz it's another huge production due to another mold altogether then might as well make use of this and sell thru retail, instead of going to E hobby where i'ts gonna be cost prohibitive and therefore non profitable for HasTakTom.

I concur with everything you've brought up here Liege, I reckon Metrotitan would be an awesome addition; for me personally though, it'd be a BIG ask to try & find room for three 2ft tall robots. :o
That said if there were to be a 2ft tall Trypticon produced?, there'd be no justification required for me in such an event - I would simply find/make the room for the giant kaiju bot! :D

maxirod
7th June 2013, 12:08 AM
Read the thread but I cant confirm whether this is coming to Aus retail? Since TRU US and Canada has confirmed them. Shipping alone on RK for this huge toy is about $70+ :eek:

griffin
7th June 2013, 01:47 AM
It's in here (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=15909).

Tallestblue
7th June 2013, 10:47 AM
While looking for something for a customer I found the APN for Generations Titan Class Metroplex. It will retail at Myer for $199. I can speculate that it would be something they'd put on sale for $150 maybe. No idea when it's coming in.

Tetsuwan Convoy
7th June 2013, 12:20 PM
While looking for something for a customer I found the APN for Generations Titan Class Metroplex. It will retail at Myer for $199. I can speculate that it would be something they'd put on sale for $150 maybe. No idea when it's coming in.
Well, well well. Now we have a ball park figure to keep in mind when researching whether or not to get it online or what.

Nice find Tallestblue!

Trent
7th June 2013, 01:36 PM
So… $160-170 everywhere else?

nexusnixx
7th June 2013, 01:49 PM
Even if its $150 after sale at perhaps myer, might be better off getting overseas.

Bidoofdude
7th June 2013, 05:37 PM
So… $160-170 everywhere else?

I see what you did there... :p;)

Sinnertwin
9th June 2013, 03:01 PM
Some in hand images (http://tformers.com/transformers-new-in-hand-images-and/20283/news.html) and a rundown via TFW2005 member Cheriks.

Quickstrike
9th June 2013, 03:44 PM
I hope you can connect Cyberverse playsets to him. Do we know if you can? I can't tell from those photos.

nexusnixx
9th June 2013, 04:00 PM
interesting how Hasbro will separate one of the hands to ensure the packaging is narrower (save on postage cost)

but this quote from the reviewer is interesting... sounds like a marketing/ sales point

"Side note I would really recommend that none of you wait to pick him up in hopes that he’ll end up on clearance or on a significant sale. A friend told me that Hasbro is not making a large quantity of them so as to assure that they sell out and if you wait then I wouldn’t be surprised if you end up paying a lot more on the secondary market."

Cat
9th June 2013, 05:40 PM
It's more to do with retailer's needs than postage costs (especially as we're not talking about a difference of much weight, or much more width).

The smaller the shelf space needed, the more likely they'll be to stock it.

I'm not happy with the amount of stickers. I hate stickers.

VERT
9th June 2013, 05:46 PM
Will I still may import mine. But if I can get another one local for $150 or less. I might get another for my will be 6 year old son for X Mas. He really would love a giant Bot playset like Metroplex.

Sinnertwin
9th June 2013, 06:51 PM
Will I still may import mine. But if I can get another one local for $150 or less. I might get another for my will be 6 year old son for X Mas. He really would love a giant Bot playset like Metroplex.

Locally looks like the way to go. To get it shipped from RK for instance it'll cost $203.95 USD, shipping alone is $73 USD or $223 AUD (PayPal) total.

Mythirax
10th June 2013, 05:58 PM
Some in hand images (http://tformers.com/transformers-new-in-hand-images-and/20283/news.html) and a rundown via TFW2005 member Cheriks.

He looks really poorly put into that box. And the box itself looks like it has no reinforcement. And to top it off more stickers, I hate stickers :( -- I'll take two!

GoktimusPrime
10th June 2013, 07:21 PM
...yeah, not impressed with the sticker thing. At least w/ Encore Fortress Maximus it was done because it's a reproduction of a 25 year old toy -- having stickers makes it more accurate to the original figure. What's Gen. Metroplex's excuse? (especially given its sure to be hefty price point) (O_o)

Tetsuwan Convoy
10th June 2013, 07:26 PM
Well, well well. That looks interesting all right. Still think it's a shame that they haven't improved the modes all that much given the advance in technologuy available today. I still think G1's city mode looks nicer than Gen's city mode.

liegeprime
10th June 2013, 09:15 PM
So I found this figure is retailing for $179 on Amazon. If we get it here and Myer sells it for $190. Certainly better, as I don't think shipping for the toy will be cheap considering how bulky it is.

griffin
10th June 2013, 09:42 PM
Stickers are probably just a necessary evil, allowing them to keep the cost of the toy down with minimal paint apps, but still giving people the option of having all the extra "paint" detailing that a toy this big needs to prevent it looking like a big boring white toy.

Sinnertwin
13th June 2013, 06:41 AM
And via Hisashi Yuki's twitpic, here's an image of TT's Metroplex (http://www.seibertron.com/energonpub/first-look-at-takara-tomy-titan-class-metroplex-t94922.php-&sid=7152ea4117f0d4a94f0c1dab8cd97d27)

Deonasis
13th June 2013, 09:54 AM
And via Hisashi Yuki's twitpic, here's an image of TT's Metroplex (http://www.seibertron.com/energonpub/first-look-at-takara-tomy-titan-class-metroplex-t94922.php-&sid=7152ea4117f0d4a94f0c1dab8cd97d27)My oh my :eek:

Hursticon
13th June 2013, 05:11 PM
My oh my :eek:

Couldn't have put it better :D - Makes me very glad that I preordered the Takara version, discounted to $150 at that! :cool:, as the little details they've picked out goes a long way in rectifying Hasbro's 'White Wash' - Cannot wait! ;)