PDA

View Full Version : Custom Redeco Help

Nova Prime
8th July 2008, 11:45 PM
Hey I want to give Animated Voyager Starscream a G1 redeco. But I've never done anything like this before, so can you guys help me out and give me ideas as to how I should go about doing this? Like what types of paints to use, where to get them, how much they cost etc. But most importantly, how do I repaint the decepticon insignia? Thanks for the help in advance guys.

STL
9th July 2008, 12:30 AM
Gamblor, lcz128, Turtleboy, Stencilator and Kelvinchang99 are the guys to talk to on this board about this stuff. They're the regular board customisers. Me, I'm just a noob.

Burn
9th July 2008, 06:36 AM
I customise too! I'm just too lazy to post my stuff. :p

Nova, if it's your first, grab yourself a junker G1 figure, learn how to take it apart and put it back together, and practice painting on it.

No point paying money on a brand new figure and not know how to put it back together or screw up the paint job.

STL
9th July 2008, 11:03 AM

Good for nothin' Northern Queenslanders. :p

Start showing 'em already.

i_amtrunks
9th July 2008, 11:17 AM
A junker from a more modern series would be better to practice on, to learn how to paint better on plastics.

Keep us informed on how it goes.

Pulse
9th July 2008, 11:25 AM
Good for nothin' Northern Queenslanders. :p

Start showing 'em already.

Burn's kinda ashamed/bashful when it comes to his kitbashing so I thought I might help him out (http://members.dodo.com.au/~dazx/bni/index.html) :)

Burn
9th July 2008, 12:44 PM
Burn's kinda ashamed/bashful when it comes to his kitbashing

One day i'll dig out and take pics and then post them of the "kitbashes" (gotta use that term loosely with them crappy things) I did when I was around ten.

Not THAT is something to be ashamed off. While i'm not one to brag about his work (and will readily point out my own flaws and what I think to be sheer utter crap) I can safely say that my skills have come a long way since.

But if you want to see what i'm currently working on (when i find the damn time) follow Bloodshed's progress over on TFW. (http://www.tfw2005.com/radicons-customs/repaints-and-minor-mods-4/bloodshed-wip-165286/)

Now as much as I like twisting threads into stuff about me, that's not fair to Nova Prime, so back on topic!

Trunks raises an interesting point about maybe using a more modern day junker (plastic ... die-cast ... no difference to me :p ) as you get the joy of ball joints and what not!

i_amtrunks
9th July 2008, 02:08 PM
I meant purely for painting reasons, I seem to be able to paint alright on metal parts of transformers, and stuff up terribly on the plastic sections.

Something from the Energon series would probably be best, the RID and Movie figures can be quite complicated to piece back together. Having a normal version of the toy around for "research" can help alot when re-constructing a figure.

gamblor916
9th July 2008, 03:06 PM
I agree with practising with a junker first, you don't want to take apart a brand new toy. A good tip for taking things apart get a piece of paper, draw an outline of the toy and tape to it each part as you take it apart. Easy way to track which pin goes where.
Regular hobby stores are a good place to start with paints and things.
For paint from least toxic to more: water based acrylic>enamels>lacquers (spray cans). Cost Acrylic ~ $5 bottle, Enamel ~ $3, Lacquer sprays ~ $8
For the insignia it would be easiest to use reprolabel stickers. If you are familiar with model waterslide decals then I have some which you can try.

Nova Prime
9th July 2008, 07:19 PM
Thanks for all the tips and advice guys

Nova, if it's your first, grab yourself a junker G1 figure, learn how to take it apart and put it back together, and practice painting on it. No point paying money on a brand new figure and not know how to put it back together or screw up the paint job.

A junker from a more modern series would be better to practice on, to learn how to paint better on plastics.

Hey guys, I think I'll go out and get a deluxe during the Target Toy Sale and experiment on it until I get the hang of things before attempting to repaint my Starscream. Thanks Burn, you just saved my Starscream from a horrific and untimely end.

A good tip for taking things apart get a piece of paper, draw an outline of the toy and tape to it each part as you take it apart. Easy way to track which pin goes where. Regular hobby stores are a good place to start with paints and things. For paint from least toxic to more: water based acrylic>enamels>lacquers (spray cans). Cost Acrylic ~ $5 bottle, Enamel ~ $3, Lacquer sprays ~ $8. For the insignia it would be easiest to use reprolabel stickers. If you are familiar with model waterslide decals then I have some which you can try.

Thanks for all the tips Gamblor. I was planning on categorising the screws and pins using a number system but your idea of drawing an outline of the toy and placing the screws and pins where I actually got them from is much better. With regards to paints, since this is my first time doing anything like this, I have no idea what to use (well besides from the colour). Can you give me some ideas of what to use? What's the difference between all those different types of paints? Do some suit different materials better than others (or something like that)? Oh and what are "reprolabel stickers" lol?

I knew I had a lot to learn about this sort of thing, but it's only now that I realise just how complicated this process can be (well, if I want to do a really good job on it and that's what I'm aiming for). It looks like it's going to be a while before I actually start repainting Starscream, I'll keep you guys posted on how it's coming along. Thanks again for all the help guys, I really appreciated it.

Pulse
9th July 2008, 07:26 PM
Sorry that I can't help you with repainting (I'm a complete hack when it comes to anything artistic :o) but don't tell me you've never heard of Reprolabels (http://reprolabels.com/main.asp)?

Man, you really are a noob... :D (Iz is only joking :))

Burn
9th July 2008, 07:34 PM
I'm a complete hack when it comes to anything artistic

I've always said the same about myself, yet I just had an idea in my head and tried it.

I'm far from perfect but hey, it's still fun to try these things! So consider this your encouragement, have a go! You might surprise yourself!

Nova Prime
9th July 2008, 07:41 PM
It’s ok Pulse, I’m not afraid to admit that I’m a noob lol, well at least well it comes to this anyways :o. If you wanna be nice, you could always use the euphemism “newbie” :).

Pulse
9th July 2008, 09:44 PM
Sorry Mate. I just have a weird sense of humour... :p

Have you given Jin's painting tips (http://www.angelfire.com/mech/jinsaotome/WorkspaceSetup/TransformersPaint.html) a squiz?

lcz128
9th July 2008, 09:50 PM
Sorry Mate. I just have a weird sense of humour... :p

Have you given Jin's painting tips (http://www.angelfire.com/mech/jinsaotome/WorkspaceSetup/TransformersPaint.html) a squiz?

Agh! Damn! I was going to link him to that! :D

That was basically how I started. I didn't really start on a junker and really started on my Leader Movie Prime in terms of TF Customising...

That said, I *did* start off trying to do some Marvel Legends type customs. :)

Personally, I use Tamiya paints - and they are a smidgen cheaper than Games Workshop paints and I have to say they're GOOD! :D (personally speaking) :)

dirge
9th July 2008, 10:01 PM

That's just not true. I still recall you posting down your Pretender Cliffjumper to scoop the art contest at Sabretron :)

Burn
9th July 2008, 10:40 PM
That's just not true. I still recall you posting down your Pretender Cliffjumper to scoop the art contest at Sabretron :)

Your old age is definitely not doing wonders for your memory. :p

It was Gore that went down. Pretender Cliffjumper is still technically unfinished as i'm still on the lookout for another Pretender Bumblebee inner robot as the one I had broke on me.

I probably should just track down a whole Pretender BB and start from scratch as I could probably do a much better job these days.

Nova Prime
10th July 2008, 12:15 AM
Hey Pulse, thanks for the link to Jin’s painting tips, it looks so cool and I can’t wait to get started. There’s just one thing I don’t understand, what’s the superglue-shield method? I think he just mentioned it without describing what it was before hand. Does it involve applying superglue to a particular surface to “shield” it or something? I realise this may seem to be a pretty dumb question but the only experience I have with paint is with a brush on a canvas, oh and before I forget, thanks for the link to reprolabels as well. I haven’t had the chance to check that site out thoroughly yet but I think I’m definitely going to be buying a few things from there. To be honest I was planning on using masking tape around the Decepticon insignia and paint it that way, can you imagine how long it would take to paint using my pathetic method?

STL
10th July 2008, 12:21 AM
Burn's kinda ashamed/bashful when it comes to his kitbashing so I thought I might help him out (http://members.dodo.com.au/~dazx/bni/index.html) :)

Fekt. You are good. Damn good.

(and no Pulse, I'm not talking about you)

Pulse
10th July 2008, 12:27 AM
Nova Prime, This page (http://www.angelfire.com/mech/jinsaotome/WorkspaceSetup/JointRub.html) might be the superglue-shield method Jin's talking about. It's probably just a way of reducing paint-wear on contact surfaces when you transform the figure. :)

Nova Prime
10th July 2008, 12:52 AM
I just checked out the link and it’s much clearer now, you’ve been such a great help Pulse, thank you.

Pulse
10th July 2008, 12:59 AM
No worries Mate :)

I just hope I don't get blamed for mistakes... :D

STL
10th July 2008, 01:08 AM
No worries Mate :)

I just hope I don't get blamed for mistakes... :D

Don't worry blame him for everything. We sure do. :D

Nova Prime
10th July 2008, 01:12 AM
Don't worry blame him for everything. We sure do. :D

You don't have to tell me STL, I always give credit where it's due. ;)