PDA

View Full Version : Generations G2 Dreadwing toy coming?

griffin
20th February 2013, 01:20 PM
Some keen eyes on the global fansites have spotted a background character in a recent comic issue (http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/transformers-generations-deluxe-idw-style-megatron-to-receive-g2-dreadwing-repaint/26740/), that looks exactly like a redeco of the newly revealed Deluxe Generations Megatron (stealth-bomber) toy.

Since there seems to be a close partnership between Hasbro and IDW now (probably due to IDWs Andy Schmidt going to work for Hasbro last year), it is likely that we will see more characters drawn to match upcoming toys, or more toys based on past character forms in the comics.
(not to mention, that Hasbro needs to redeco moulds as much as possible)

If Hasbro doesn't release this as a toy, it is pretty much guarantee that FunPub will.

BigTransformerTrev
20th February 2013, 01:45 PM
I have the version of G2 Dreadwing toy that was recoloured for RID Dreadwing along with Smokejumper. Never really thought of the resemblance to the new Meg's until now but I guess its obvious. The only other figure I can think of is some Micromaster that I have but can't remember the name of (Treadbolt?), so he could be a possibility too. Besides these guys and Generations Scourge, do we have many other stealth bombers in the TF canon?

Lord_Zed
20th February 2013, 06:49 PM
Given that the original G2 Darkwing toy has been released as Megatron in Transformers Universe (I think) this is not to surprising. It is an obvious repaint. While we are talking obvious repaints for Hasbro I hope this means they are going to re-paint Blitzwing as Flywheels too.

griffin
21st February 2013, 12:47 AM
Nah, it was supposed to be redecoed in Gen2 as Megatron (http://www.collecticon.org/2010/09/generation-2-atb-megatron-snags-over-3500-again/) & Starscream (http://www.collecticon.org/2010/04/atb-megatron-and-starscream-on-ebay-5000/) (as one of the many redeco Gen2 toys that never made it beyond a few product samples to show to retailers).
The store exclusive (pre-Universe) toys were Dreadwing and Smokejumper (http://www.tfu.info/2003/Decepticon/Dreadwind/dreadwind.htm).
Other than those two released Hasbro versions, there were two JP versions too - BB & Gigant Bomb.

GoktimusPrime
21st February 2013, 08:43 AM
Nah, it was supposed to be redecoed in Gen2 as Megatron (http://www.collecticon.org/2010/09/generation-2-atb-megatron-snags-over-3500-again/) & Starscream (http://www.collecticon.org/2010/04/atb-megatron-and-starscream-on-ebay-5000/) (as one of the many redeco Gen2 toys that never made it beyond a few product samples to show to retailers).
Takara did release those moulds in those colours as BB and Starscream for Beast Wars, albeit with different stickers. But that's as close as most folks can get to owning the G2 Megatron & Starscream versions of those moulds without paying some ridiculous ransom for those prototypes. ;)

UltraMarginal
21st February 2013, 04:38 PM
It doesn't feel right to me that anyone should have the same alt mode robot form as megatron, I've always felt that his character should be totally individual. I am hanging for the megatron toy, I think it looks awesome, but I won't be getting any repaints.

BigTransformerTrev
21st February 2013, 07:06 PM
It doesn't feel right to me that anyone should have the same alt mode robot form as megatron, I've always felt that his character should be totally individual. I am hanging for the megatron toy, I think it looks awesome, but I won't be getting any repaints.

True, it would be great if every toy could, if not remaining individual, at least be a decent retool. But these days most Optimus toys get recoloured as Nemesis Prime and as Ultra Magnus who only 50% of the time gets a new headsculpt. So I spose them following suit with Megs wasn't far behind

Hursticon
21st February 2013, 08:11 PM
All I can say is that this had better manifest itself as a non-exclusive otherwise I'm going to be pissed! :eek:

I love the original G2 Dreadwing mold and whilst I don't own it I actually love & prefer that version's deco too; the new Dlx IDW Megatron mold would be spot-on perfect for a Classicsverse rendition of Dreadwing! :D:cool:

This advert is still etched into my memory (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8NUAgdKjGc) & very much is partly responsible for my love of the figure. ;):p

GoktimusPrime
21st February 2013, 09:43 PM
True, it would be great if every toy could, if not remaining individual, at least be a decent retool. But these days most Optimus toys get recoloured as Nemesis Prime and as Ultra Magnus who only 50% of the time gets a new headsculpt. So I spose them following suit with Megs wasn't far behind
I quite like the concept of Megaplex though -- the clone decoy for Megatron... and also harkens the Straxus-Megatron clone from G1. :) I personally use my Megaplex to represent Straxus-Clone Megatron in my toy play. :D

Still... there have been a fair few Transformers who've been repaints/redecos of Megatron (or Megatrons who were repaints of another character), including:
Archforce
Blowout
Frenzy (G2)
Artfire (CR)/Hot Shot (RiD)
Bludgeon (RiD)
Reverse Convoy
Megaplex (MW)
Megaplex (G1)
Megalligator (repaint of Basic BW Megatron but explicitly stated to be G1 Megatron)
Megatron (Generations - redeco/retool of ROTF Bludgeon)
Megastorm
Iguanus (BW - extensive retool)
Crazybolt (repaint of Iguanus)
T-Wrecks
Predacon (Armada)
Cryotek
Megabolt
Darksyde Megatron (retool/redeco of Cybertron Defence Red Alert)
Cindersaur (BotCon)
Deathsaurus (Timelines)
Megazarak (Universe)

BigTransformerTrev
21st February 2013, 10:47 PM
I quite like the concept of Megaplex though -- the clone decoy for Megatron... and also harkens the Straxus-Megatron clone from G1. :) I personally use my Megaplex to represent Straxus-Clone Megatron in my toy play. :D

Still... there have been a fair few Transformers who've been repaints/redecos of Megatron (or Megatrons who were repaints of another character), including:
Archforce, Blowout, Frenzy (G2), Artfire (CR)/Hot Shot (RiD), Bludgeon (RiD), Reverse Convoy, Megaplex (MW), Megaplex (G1), Megalligator (repaint of Basic BW Megatron but explicitly stated to be G1 Megatron), Megatron (Generations - redeco/retool of ROTF Bludgeon), Megastorm, Iguanus (BW - extensive retool), Crazybolt (repaint of Iguanus), T-Wrecks, Predacon (Armada), Cryotek, Megabolt, Darksyde Megatron (retool/redeco of Cybertron Defence Red Alert), Cindersaur (BotCon), Deathsaurus (Timelines), Megazarak (Universe) etc.

Most of the repaints you mentioned were of various incarnations of the BW Megatron (the pretender to the throne ;) ), but then I spose many other Megatron's have been recoloured as Galvatron, especially in the Unicron Wars cartoons. Out of that list I think I have RiD Bludgeon & Armada Predacon. RiD Bludgeon in particular just looks like he should still be Megatron, he has the exact same face and a grey head! If G1 Meg's ran into him he'd be all 'Damn Bludgeon - WTF you tryin ta pull man?!' and then blow his slaggin head off! :D

GoktimusPrime
21st February 2013, 11:56 PM
Most of the repaints you mentioned were of various incarnations of the BW Megatron
Not really. I've gone back and colour coded that list.
Green = incarnation of BW Megatron (1/21)
Purple = incarnation of G1 Megatron as a BW Megs repaint (1/21)
Red = entirely different characters that are repaints/retools of BW Megatron (7/21)
Blue = None of the above (12/21)
As you can see, most in that list are actually not incarnations of BW Megatron (only 1 is) or repaints/retools of BW Megatron (only 8 are, 1 of which is G1 Megs). The majority are unrelated to BW Megatron either by mould or character. :cool:

but then I spose many other Megatron's have been recoloured as Galvatron, especially in the Unicron Wars cartoons.
Eeh, I wouldn't count that since Galvatron's the same character as Megatron. The Galvatron repaints aren't much better/worse than all the other various repaints of Megatrons we get, like the black repaints, shiny chrome repaints etc etc etc. :p

If G1 Meg's ran into him he'd be all 'Damn Bludgeon - WTF you tryin ta pull man?!' and then blow his slaggin head off! :D
Again! (http://tfwiki.net/mediawiki/images2/8/84/MarvelUSG2-05.jpg) :eek: ;) :p

BigTransformerTrev
22nd February 2013, 10:00 AM
Again! (http://tfwiki.net/mediawiki/images2/8/84/MarvelUSG2-05.jpg) :eek: ;) :p

I still think G2 had some of the best comic covers! And of course it brings us back to the original point of this thread, as I think it was the first time in a comic we got to see the new improved Dreadwing as a stealth bomber, blowing the hell out of some poor planet Meg's decided he wanted some rescources from