PDA

View Full Version : How do you maintain your perfect physical specimen so they keep drooling over you? ;)

Pulse
10th July 2008, 09:18 PM
What I'm getting at is... How do you maintain your "model physique" so that you keep beating them off with a stick? ;)

Do you keep to a strict junkfood & booze diet? or are you like me & you have to work at it?

I know some of us are born "studs" :p but I know for some of us, those "studly looks" start to fade over time... :rolleyes:

I know I'm definitely in the minority but for the past 10 years, I've worked out every day & monitored everything I've eaten (You can tell I'm kinda ashamed to admit that :o:))

So... Are you a "naturally blessed stud" or (for the majority of us :rolleyes:) how do you maintain that "perfect-10 physique" so that they keep forming a line? :D

loophole
10th July 2008, 09:41 PM
well gee i dont know about this so called "perfect-10 physique" and this line that your talking about.

back in high school(finished in 2001)though i was in pretty good shape however the past few years its gone a bit pear shaped but i am now getting back in shape by working out 3-4 nights a week for about half an hour or so and eating slightly better and amazed at how easy it has been to loose the kilos and get fit again.

i only started this at the start of this year and have allready lost 18 kilos only another 11 to go, mind you the ladies havent been lining up yet:D

although i did go see a female friend over the weekend that i hadnt seen for awhile and im pretty sure she liked the results but thats a story for another time:D

jaydisc
10th July 2008, 10:28 PM
So... Are you a "naturally blessed stud"

Yes. I conduct no athletic activity, but rather just charm with my intellect and good looks. :cool:

Don't work too hard ;)

GoktimusPrime
10th July 2008, 11:28 PM
My feeble attempts at staving off the onset of morbid obesity:

+ Switched to brown rice and grain bread. I try to eat more vegies and seafood over just meat. Also trying to just eat smaller portions.
+ I now rarely drink soft-drinks, even diet soft-drinks. They may not contain sugar, but they're still carbonated.
+ I try to eat at home rather than eating out or take-away and most of my lunches are prepared at home rather than canteen fodder.
+ Until April I used to ride my bike to work. Then my bike's gears got screwy and I no longer work close enough to home to cycle to work. I got my bike fixed today though. :)
+ I try to get some martial arts training done at least once a week/fortnight. Although I've done bugger all this term due to lack of time at new school. Blargh. Recently started getting back into it.
+ I put my hand up for school sport. I supervise girls football. Unfortunately most of our games were cancelled this term due to foul weather and other interruptions. :/
+ My wife and I sometimes play Badminton in the back yard... unfortunately not often enough. :(

Running around after a 6 week old kitten seems to be quite demanding too. :p

sifun
10th July 2008, 11:28 PM
Squats
Deadlift
Bench Press
Shoulder Press
Bicep curls
Triceps
Situps
pull ups.

Do those at gym every week.
Salads, lots of protein will cut the fat down.

Some people like STL are just naturally tank and don't have to work as hard to get that look.
for example, I can bench press more than he can, but he still looks more manlier than I do.
I've just accepted the fact that its how my body works, and I just need to keep working harder to get where I want.
In the end though, people say that looks hardly count for much, but my self confidence issues say other wise apparently. LOL.
Truth hurts.

Bartrim
10th July 2008, 11:29 PM
Being a deckhand on a fishing trawler kept me in really good shape. I was light (183cm tall and about 75kgs) but hard as a coffin nail (so to speak). I used to line up my brothers bookworm uni friends who were all over 90kgs and beat them at arm wrestles. That would impress the odd lass at the local... that and my ability to open their lollywater drinks on the end of the table;)

Unfortunately I've had a desk job for about 6years now with only some light mechanical work so I'm now as hard as play-doh:(

To Punish & Enslave
10th July 2008, 11:40 PM
What I'm getting at is... How do you maintain your "model physique" so that you keep beating them off with a stick? ;)

Do you keep to a strict junkfood & booze diet? or are you like me & you have to work at it?

I know some of us are born "studs" :p but I know for some of us, those "studly looks" start to fade over time... :rolleyes:

I know I'm definitely in the minority but for the past 10 years, I've worked out every day & monitored everything I've eaten (You can tell I'm kinda ashamed to admit that :o:))

So... Are you a "naturally blessed stud" or (for the majority of us :rolleyes:) how do you maintain that "perfect-10 physique" so that they keep forming a line? :D

Dude Firstly brave thread to start. Some chicks don’t give a sh.. what ya look like as long as ya cashed up. Some chicks line up for the intellectual intelligence and don’t care about physical aspect's so much.

Not sure how important keepen em linen up when ya eventually married with kids lol. Can’t say I’ve ever thought to categorise myself as a stud or a regular dude. But if you have then good on you. Ask Sylvester Stallone how he got buff for his latest Rambo movie.

To Punish & Enslave
10th July 2008, 11:45 PM
My feeble attempts at staving off the onset of morbid obesity:

+ Switched to brown rice and grain bread. I try to eat more vegies and seafood over just meat. Also trying to just eat smaller portions.
+ I now rarely drink soft-drinks, even diet soft-drinks. They may not contain sugar, but they're still carbonated.
+ I try to eat at home rather than eating out or take-away and most of my lunches are prepared at home rather than canteen fodder.
+ Until April I used to ride my bike to work. Then my bike's gears got screwy and I no longer work close enough to home to cycle to work. I got my bike fixed today though. :)
+ I try to get some martial arts training done at least once a week/fortnight. Although I've done bugger all this term due to lack of time at new school. Blargh. Recently started getting back into it.
+ I put my hand up for school sport. I supervise girls football. Unfortunately most of our games were cancelled this term due to foul weather and other interruptions. :/
+ My wife and I sometimes play Badminton in the back yard... unfortunately not often enough. :(

Running around after a 6 week old kitten seems to be quite demanding too. :p

Gok your a classic. I love it. Glad ya back.

dirge
10th July 2008, 11:56 PM
Lipo, botox & staples behind the ears.

Robzy
11th July 2008, 12:14 AM
Transforming my figures is the only exercise I get these days! :D

STL
11th July 2008, 12:15 AM
I don't think physical bulk matters too much. They certainly do help but they're not the be all, end all. A friendly, approachable demeanour will work wonders. A lot of money would also help but most of us don't have that in bucketloads.

With me, i'm fairly fit b/c I played sport from a young age and probably the right group of sports. I swam, played AFL, ran cross country, and cricket in my youth. That helped my body settle down into the right proportions which have been w/ me for most of my life so far.

Most days, (as the Melb. guys will attest) I'm a fast food junky. My room/car is always packed w/ sweets and chips. However, I generally don't look it b/c I'm still training pretty hard and do have a definite set of meals that are always healthy. I always have a glass of milk a day as well as an apple or two (even if I've already eaten 7 boxes of Gobstoppers - and that actually does happen! :D) .

On top of playing footy I go to the gym about 3 to 4 times a week. I do weight training on 2-3 nights and ab work on 1 night. So it's not all about watching what you eat. My philosophy is "don't be left wondering". I'm not full on a athlete and as much as I enjoy having a decent figure, it's really secondary to other things.

I see working out more as a relaxation thing too. Just me, my iPod, weights and exercises. It's not a requirement that I be a perfect physical specimen. I just enjoy the "me" time I get where I don't have to think about too much else and all the other shite that's going on)

Oh, and I also don't brush my teeth. :eek: Mostly cos I'm up so late but dental hygience is starting to concern me even tho my dentist the other day told me I only needed one filling (i was expecting more given how much sh*t I eat).

To Punish & Enslave
11th July 2008, 12:19 AM
Transforming my figures is the only exercise I get these days! :D
If you have ultimate Bumblebee your upper half would be cut with wash board abs lol you athlete you.

Pulse
11th July 2008, 01:59 AM
Woah! I can't believe the serious tone most of you guys have engaged in your genuine responses... :)

As you can tell from my first post in this thread, it was meant to be a gee-up :D but anyway... :)

Dude Firstly brave thread to start.

Don't cha know I'm a wannabe Stand-Up Comedian & this topic just "popped" into my head... :p

junk
11th July 2008, 07:15 AM
Personally speaking, got married, thus no pressure to maintain my once perfect physique.

However, working in retail (800 square metre store) and playing touch footy weekly helps to relive the past to some extent.

jaydisc
11th July 2008, 08:50 AM
Now, this topic seems to ask two things:

1. How do you keep your figure.
2. How do you beat chicks with sticks.

I have no place commenting on the 1st, but since the 2nd was raised, I'll add something:

If you are interested in attracting the type of perspective partner who is going to evaluate you based upon your figure/bulk, you need to be aware that there is absolutely no way that you will be able to maintain it (time and age are the first guarantee), and thus, you will eventually be old news. I would recommend you focus on aspects that are going to withstand the test of time should you expect the attraction of a partner to also withstand the test of time.

Otherwise, you're just gonna be an old dude driving down Chapel Street (or insert non-Melbourne cheeseball strip) in a older WRX with a fake "For Sale" sign with your phone number on the back ;)

Oh, and I also don't brush my teeth. :eek: Mostly cos I'm up so late but dental hygience is starting to concern me even tho my dentist the other day told me I only needed one filling (i was expecting more given how much sh*t I eat).

No need for condolences, but my father died from a very difficult to diagnose, case of Infective Endocarditus, which is an infection of the heart valve.

The doctors said he got it through his teeth and their lack of maintenance.

TheDirtyDigger
11th July 2008, 09:35 AM
I have my women pretend they're with someone else.
It's win-win. They get a buff guy and I get to maintain my perfectly rounded belly and B-cup man boobs.

i_amtrunks
11th July 2008, 10:38 AM
Broomball and mess around games of cricket seem to keep my body mostly in check from an expanding waistline.

Since I am not as physically active as I was in my Uni days I have cut back on the amount of food I consume, (but not the types). I eat fairly healthily, and working at Maccas throughout High School means I'm not a huge fan of fast food, but I have a rather large sweet tooth (Damn you Mr. Wonka and your Wonkalicious products).

And as Gok said already, chasing after kittens is damn good exercise.

Pulse
11th July 2008, 11:15 AM
If you are interested in attracting the type of perspective partner who is going to evaluate you based upon your figure/bulk, you need to be aware that there is absolutely no way that you will be able to maintain it (time and age are the first guarantee), and thus, you will eventually be old news. I would recommend you focus on aspects that are going to withstand the test of time should you expect the attraction of a partner to also withstand the test of time.

Atleast we don't punish ourselves in order to keep roping them in... :D

(unlike quite a few girls I'm sure we've all known who stick their finger down their throat... My ex Lisa Maree comes to mind :( [I hope she's ok these days])

Gutsman Heavy
11th July 2008, 12:35 PM
*A stable diet of saturated fats
*no exercise (in my defence I've got a buggered back, even if I didn't I'd still do none :D)
*constant obsessing over TFs

it must work 'cos my girl has no complaints (bar my stubborn refusal to get my back fixed, being in constant pain is fun, I swear!)

stencilator
11th July 2008, 01:37 PM
Surf on the weekends and drink beer for dinner on Fridays... I have no idea how this affects my health but I feel good.

sifun
11th July 2008, 02:08 PM
Do you guys have trouble meeting girls?

Kyle
11th July 2008, 02:13 PM

I'm in the university Mathematics department most of the hours. It's very *stereotypical* there... :o:D

Seems to be *much* more fun over at business school, physiotherapy or nursing. :p

sifun
11th July 2008, 02:21 PM
agreed. I'm doing work in IT. Theres no girls period albeit no one my age period.

TheDirtyDigger
11th July 2008, 02:29 PM

Somebody should set up a poll.

Pulse
11th July 2008, 02:57 PM
Somebody should set up a poll.

I take it you're referring to me... ;)

I had a look but I can't seem to create one by either editing my first post or setting one up here? :confused:

Any help would be much appreciated... :)

1orion2many
11th July 2008, 03:06 PM

:)Meeting females isn't the problem, them still willing to talk to you afterwards always seems to be the real issue:D. To keep my studly good looks:D I put it down to 2 things, Hard work and good genetics;). I must admit I need to work a little harder as I have got slack in the last year, I did have my body fat down to 5% at one stage with the old washboard showing through, the washboard is still there but it has a bit of padding over the top now:o. You can excercise until the cows come home but if you don't have some control over your eating habits you will find you will get fit but not necessarily ripped:cool:.

TheDirtyDigger
11th July 2008, 03:09 PM
I take it you're referring to me... ;)

LOL. Well I wasn't specifically but you were the first bot that came to mind.

You start a new thread and down the bottom there's an attach poll option. I would suggest at least 8 options to take into account the wide range of different relationships one could have.

I believe this to be important in understanding the demographics of such an online group the same way the state of residence threads were.

Pulse
11th July 2008, 03:27 PM
& it's done :)

I hope I've covered a wide-enough spectrum there... :D

GoktimusPrime
11th July 2008, 06:42 PM
STL: be careful with eating all that junk - even if you look fit on the outside you may be carrying internal cholestrol. A friend of mine was in that situation; externally looked fit as a fiddle but doctor told him that he was carrying so much internal cholestrol that he was a step away from a heart attack and put him on a strict diet and he took up ice hockey to loose it. Externally he doesn't look any different but apparently blood tests have shown that he's reduced his cholestrol.

Gutsman Heavy: three words: low impact exercise. e.g.: Tai Chi, Pilates, Yoga, aquarobics etc. :)

I also usually eat oats/muesli for breakfast and morning tea. Like fish and tea (especially green tea), it helps to reduce cholestrol absorption.

kup
11th July 2008, 07:04 PM
I don't care about romantic relationships or anything of the sort so I don't give a damn. However out of personal health I try not to go over too much.

Gutsman Heavy
11th July 2008, 08:04 PM
Gutsman Heavy: three words: low impact exercise. e.g.: Tai Chi, Pilates, Yoga, aquarobics etc. :)

I hope my partner don't see that, she'll explode with happiness! not the kind I like!

GoktimusPrime
11th July 2008, 08:33 PM
I enjoy Tai Chi from a martial arts POV. Not all forms of Tai Chi are combative though. :)

STL
11th July 2008, 10:44 PM
STL: be careful with eating all that junk - even if you look fit on the outside you may be carrying internal cholestrol. A friend of mine was in that situation; externally looked fit as a fiddle but doctor told him that he was carrying so much internal cholestrol that he was a step away from a heart attack and put him on a strict diet and he took up ice hockey to loose it. Externally he doesn't look any different but apparently blood tests have shown that he's reduced his cholestrol.

Oh crap, maybe I should go get checked out. I've never really thought about it that way but I guess I should've. I guess it can be deceptive cos I feel like a million bucks some days after I do 2-4 km runs followed by some short sprints but what's insides also important.

GoktimusPrime
11th July 2008, 10:51 PM
There's a TV ad campaign showing people of different builds saying that any of those people could have high cholestrol - basically saying that you don't have to look fat in order to have high cholestrol. I think it depends on our genetic make up. Some people (like me) easily carry our fat on the outside. I gain weight just looking at junk food. :p Other people (like my aforementioned friend) carry their fat on the inside so they never look fat on the outside but they're fat on the inside. It's great that you have an active lifestyle and play sports - keep it up... but yeah, don't forget that eating and drinking healthy is also important. :)

It just goes to show that things can often be... More Than Meets The Eye!(TM)

Soundwarp
12th July 2008, 07:49 AM
I run every morning then i go to the Gym 4 - 5 times a week.
Then i also run at home with my dog.
Plus i take several body building supplements.

Oh yeah i'm in the Army :P

GoktimusPrime
12th July 2008, 12:35 PM
I gotta ask dude - does your army training come in handy when you play 1st person shooters (e.g.: Counterstrike, Halo etc) or when you play Laser Tag or paintball skirmish? :) The problem with playing 1st person shooter LANs is the lack of cohesive teamwork. Everyone's trying to be a hero. It's funny when you sometimes go to a net café and you happen to be lucky enough to join a team where every decides to work as a team and you end up royally pwning your opposition, or when the other team has better teamwork and they end up completely thrashing your side. It happens very rarely though. Most players are too busy trying to be heroes - the idea of tactical strategy just flies out the window. (-_-)

Geminii
14th July 2008, 02:52 AM
Ten years of junk food, a desk job, and no exercise hath taken its toll. Ironically, a recent diabetes diagnosis has forced me to lose weight and take up exercise, although I've seriously slacked off on the high-impact stuff and now just do Tai Chi, Pilates and yoga once a week. I do have a weekly appointment with the local uni badminton club but I haven't been for a couple of months - two or three hours of jumping around really does make you aware of every single excess kilo you're carrying. Ouch.

I should force myself to go back to swimming as well. It's cheap and the half-shaded pool area means I get tanned without my usual lobster impersonations.

To be honest, though, I don't know if even the previously mentioned holy grail of 'fit, rich, intelligent' would work for those of us not overly graced in the social skills department. Buff rich Casanova still beats out buff rich geek.

Maybe everyone could get hardbodied, win Lotto, and wear muscle shirts to BotCon that said "Single, rich, clueless" :)

Soundwarp
14th July 2008, 06:23 AM
I gotta ask dude - does your army training come in handy when you play 1st person shooters (e.g.: Counterstrike, Halo etc) or when you play Laser Tag or paintball skirmish? :) The problem with playing 1st person shooter LANs is the lack of cohesive teamwork. Everyone's trying to be a hero. It's funny when you sometimes go to a net café and you happen to be lucky enough to join a team where every decides to work as a team and you end up royally pwning your opposition, or when the other team has better teamwork and they end up completely thrashing your side. It happens very rarely though. Most players are too busy trying to be heroes - the idea of tactical strategy just flies out the window. (-_-)

Dude it actually works against me.
If i play like i fight then i loose, so i ahve to completley forget about my training :D

GoktimusPrime
14th July 2008, 02:50 PM
Heh, yeah - I find Eye Toy Boxing and Wii Sports are like that too. :p

Geminii: which style of Tai Chi do you do?

Geminii
14th July 2008, 05:50 PM
Hmm, not entirely sure. The website doesn't state which style they teach in, and if the teachers mentioned it, I wasn't paying attention. :) There are some ads around the place that say it's modified Yang style, though.

Geminii
14th July 2008, 05:54 PM
Dude it actually works against me.
If i play like i fight then i loose, so i ahve to completley forget about my training :D

Darn that military training, I bet it doesn't even cover rocket-jumping or the finer points of respawning. :)

GoktimusPrime
14th July 2008, 06:14 PM
I heard of a guy who was an ex-Army sniper who would always cream everyone else in paintball skirmishes. :p

Geminii: how is it modified? Are you taught fighting applications or is it only taught as a form of exercise? (I suspect it may be modified to be purely a form of exercise/fitness)

The three main styles of Tai Chi are:
Yang (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFZUIgaxlsI)
Chen (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQytjv9QNBc)
Wu (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSqfKRJotW4)

Some basic fighting applications for Tai Chi (Chen style) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEbupVWZ6mk)

Soundwarp
14th July 2008, 08:25 PM
Darn that military training, I bet it doesn't even cover rocket-jumping or the finer points of respawning. :)

Lol i wish i could respawn in the middle east, it would make patroling easier :P

Geminii
14th July 2008, 09:27 PM
It's mainly taught as fitness for oldies and housewives, the class I go to being made up mostly of these. :)

I prefer a style where the combat applications are covered, if only so I have some vague idea of what I'm supposed to be accomplishing with various movements. I'm the one who keeps pestering the teacher with "So is this movement supposed to be a block, a strike, what?"

The Tai Chi place I went to in Canberra was more forthcoming with this info - they'd even occasionally do a live combat demo of a movement to show exactly what its point was. "And here, this movement pulls the opponent off balance so, and flings them across the room, so. OK? Right, someone go help Billy out of the wall, please."

Demonac
14th July 2008, 09:53 PM
I heard of a guy who was an ex-Army sniper who would always cream everyone else in paintball skirmishes. :p

Those paintball's never fly straight. I'm a reasonably good shot, and I find those paintball guns infuriating... No 2 shots EVER hit the same spot! I guess it's due to the lack of conformance with those 'pellets'

sifun
15th July 2008, 12:11 PM
paintballs are painful.. lol always wear thick clothing!

man so sore from gym yesterday, i can hardly move.

STL
15th July 2008, 02:34 PM
man so sore from gym yesterday, i can hardly move.

Weak.

GoktimusPrime
15th July 2008, 08:32 PM
well we don't know what he did at the gym and/or how regularly he goes. I sometimes have lapses where I don't train for months and then when I get back to it I feel reeeaaaally sore afterwards. :p

turtle boy
15th July 2008, 09:28 PM
I don't do anything to stay looking good, as for looking good, thats not possible. I'm an ugmo if you ask me ahah.

Only things that I have ever been complemented on, and can say on the board... Is my eyes, hair and arms.. Other then that. I guess the entire thing where I act like a kid, but have a way with words that an adult has and don't tend to care how people see me. I guess that helps a little aswell. The Transformers collection has helpped out of late, but that can only go sofar. I was willing to sell it, just to make the moving out, then moving in alot faster. But, The Girl ran off with her ex and I'm stuck here alone:(:(

GoktimusPrime
16th July 2008, 01:02 PM
It's mainly taught as fitness for oldies and housewives, the class I go to being made up mostly of these.
Yeah, that sounds like a form of Tai Chi that's intended primarily for exercise rather than fighting.

I prefer a style where the combat applications are covered, if only so I have some vague idea of what I'm supposed to be accomplishing with various movements. I'm the one who keeps pestering the teacher with "So is this movement supposed to be a block, a strike, what?"
Such questions are kinda pointless if you're learning a non-combative style of Tai Chi. It'd be like asking a Yoga or Pilates instructor for fight applications in their 'sport.' :)

The Tai Chi place I went to in Canberra was more forthcoming with this info - they'd even occasionally do a live combat demo of a movement to show exactly what its point was. "And here, this movement pulls the opponent off balance so, and flings them across the room, so. OK? Right, someone go help Billy out of the wall, please."
Hehehehehehe. :D

One thing that bugs me about some Tai Chi teachers (and teachers of internal arts in general) is the insistence on everything being soft and never hard. It's like they've entirely missed the entire point of Yin Yang - i.e.: a balance of hard and soft - not one to the exclusion of the other! Sorry, that's something that really irks me something chronic when I talk to internal martial artists. Likewise I'm equally irked when I talk to external martial artists who think that they're art has to be completely hard (I find a lot of practitioners of Southern Kung Fu, Korean and Japanese martial arts tend to fall into this category, with the exception of Aikido which is a Japanese internal art - but then I find a lot of practitioners fall into being too soft).

http://hinessight.blogs.com/hinessight/images/yin_yang.jpg

Geminii
16th July 2008, 10:52 PM
Tai Chi's a good starting point for me from a martial arts perspective. It's soft enough so that I can do it even with a couch potato physique, and it provides good practice in things like balance and co-ordination that might serve well if I go into a 'harder' martial art at any point.

I do have a couple of akidogi, but haven't made use of them yet. I figure I need to be a bit more flexible and with a few more muscles for padding before I start getting tossed around a dojo.

STL
11th September 2008, 12:05 AM
I had a leg injury about 7 weeks ago now and have just started going to the gym again. In the intervening period, I put on 7 kilos and now weigh in at 87!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

My missus is givin' me a lotta crap now cos i usually give her crap about her chicken wings! :o :o:o

Oh how the might have fattened! :(

(I sweat like a pig running at 11km/hr now - I used to run at 16km/hr and not even registered a sweat!) :o :o

TheDirtyDigger
11th September 2008, 09:12 AM
You still got a ways to go before you catch my nice even 100kgs boy.

sifun
11th September 2008, 10:29 AM
I hit my personal best for bench press!
90kg x 4 reps. Soon I will have nice man boobies.

GoktimusPrime
11th September 2008, 08:07 PM
STL: have you considered low-impact exercise until you've fully recovered?
e.g.: Tai Chi, Pilates, Yoga, low-impact swimming and other aquatic exercises etc.

Soundwarp
11th September 2008, 08:10 PM
You still got a ways to go before you catch my nice even 100kgs boy.

Cough....

115kg

SilverDragon
11th September 2008, 08:19 PM
I charm them with my personality. :)

But I do go swimming and running (with the dog) to keep myself from becoming Jabba the Hutt.

Soundwarp
11th September 2008, 08:32 PM
Is it bad that i think of Pizza hut when i read Jabba the Hutt????

Pulse
11th September 2008, 09:02 PM
Whoa! I thought this thread was long since dead & buried... :D

http://members.aol.com/hitman8284/undertaker/undertaker_aticking_is_han_up_at_barried_allive.jp g

autobreadticon
11th September 2008, 09:24 PM
fat sapper - it works miracles

GoktimusPrime
11th September 2008, 11:02 PM
Either that or you've been watching too much Spaceballs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SE8gTI8cYUw). :)

"Pizza the Hut!"http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g18/akseacode/hilarious%20shit/pizzahut.jpg

Speaking of which, there's a new Spaceballs animated series (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jwet4SeyKgc) coming soon! :D

STL
11th September 2008, 11:10 PM

argh, now that u mentioned it i haven't decided what to eat tmrw for lunch yet! :eek:

STL: have you considered low-impact exercise until you've fully recovered?
e.g.: Tai Chi, Pilates, Yoga, low-impact swimming and other aquatic exercises etc.

I did thanks. I swam twice before doing some "quick" walking the previous week. Have only started to jog but my heart rate is poor. I'm clocking 180+ at 10km/hr. A long way to go but tonight was fairly steady. I'm not really overexerting and I've probably for once in my life actually issued some caution and not rushed back into things.

STL
17th November 2008, 11:48 PM
[QUOTE=Pulse;45688]Whoa! I thought this thread was long since dead & buried... :D
/QUOTE]

Wrong!

I was at the gym tonight and on the treadmill and I run a tough regime at 11km/hr, 12km/hr, 13km/hr, 14km/hr every four minutes before restarting the cycle again at the end of the 4 minute interval. I couldn't use my usual machine b/c some chubby fella was on it :mad: so I jumped on the other ones. I was doing fine up to 28 minutes and then my machine spiralled out of control. I was adjust the speed downwards back to 11 but noticed the machine was getting faster. At first I kept w/ it but then something just wasn't right and I raised myself using the two handle bars either side and then planting my feet on the stable area while the machine kept running.

I watched totally freaking out as the speed climbed up to 60km/hr! The machine was shaking like hell and I just raised myself w/ the handle bars again and got off the damn thing. It kept going and I totally just hit the stop button and then got the gym girl over to have a look and we could smell the smoke straight away.

I realised how close I was probably to being hurled off the thing and into the other treadmills behind me and probably doing some serious damage to my body. It totally freaked me out. The treadmills are supposed to have a top speed of 20km/hr for safety's sake so that just made me all the more incredulous. If I hadn't been more alert it could've been pretty ugly.

jacksplatt11
17th November 2008, 11:56 PM
Wow, ghost in the machine or what, crazy... Are you ok Little Man???

Reminds me of what happened to a friend of mine, he was running on the treadmill and he turned it up too high, and instead of lifting himself up like you did, he decided to try and keep up with it.. He ended up slipping, fell over and broke his arm

We laughed at him a lot

loophole
17th November 2008, 11:58 PM
Man that would have been hiliriaous to watch :p

STL
18th November 2008, 12:03 AM
Wow, ghost in the machine or what, crazy... Are you ok Little Man???

Yeah, I'm alright, Sunflower. Thanks for asking though. Just freaked out. Have a beep test tmrw so I'm pretty excited about that too tho this kinda stuffed up my prep. The incident did kinda shake me up tho (as it would) :o.

Reminds me of what happened to a friend of mine, he was running on the treadmill and he turned it up too high, and instead of lifting himself up like you did, he decided to try and keep up with it.. He ended up slipping, fell over and broke his arm

We laughed at him a lot

Boy, I'd love to have you guys around in my hour of need. :D

Pulse
18th November 2008, 12:05 AM
Boy, I'd love to have you guys around in my hour of need. :D

They'd be the ones turning the speed up by remote control... :D

jacksplatt11
18th November 2008, 12:09 AM

I caught some footage of it here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiWgcRZlKy8) and here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qrDutsxyj0)

sifun
18th November 2008, 11:22 AM
my cardio sucks.
Beep tests are evil too. lol last time i did one was in highschool though.

GoktimusPrime
18th November 2008, 03:45 PM
Gah... stupid term four... currently swamped with work and haven't had much time to do much exercise outside of weekly school sport (although that looks like it will be rained out this week). :(

MV75
18th November 2008, 10:16 PM
I'm now in the exercise club, and get paid for it.

My new job involves me being on my feet the entire time and walking. And walking, and walking, and some more walking. 8 hours a day, ~40+ hours a week of it. And yes, my feet are murdering me.

So I've gone from bugger all to most likely the most exercise out of anyone else here.

STL
18th November 2008, 10:52 PM
Scored 12.8 on the beep test!!! f--- yeah! I couldn't believe it since hte last time I did one was pre-season post year 12 in my first years in the amos.

Followed it up w/ 300 jog and 200 sprints for 30 minutes not to mention the drills we had afterwards.

Very surprised too that despite me putting on 7 kilos a few months ago and keeping that, I'm still as fit as a whistle. I'm 177cm but 88kg so I'm a bit unhappy at the moment about my weight but my fitness is really good. Is that possible???

Paulbot
14th August 2009, 09:52 AM
Refueling this thought-dead thread with some nucleon.

I'd like to be fitter, but mostly thinner. I'd like to lose 10-20 kilos by the end of the year. Anyone know a good city/chain gym they recommend? A good exercise plan to follow? Trainer? Anything to recommend like that?

(And yes I know that being thinner/fitter wont necessarily get anyone 'drooling' over me but it might help my confidence which could help me meet someone.)

kup
14th August 2009, 10:05 AM

I'd like to be fitter, but mostly thinner. I'd like to lose 10-20 kilos by the end of the year. Anyone know a good city/chain gym they recommend? A good exercise plan to follow? Trainer? Anything to recommend like that?

(And yes I know that being thinner/fitter wont necessarily get anyone 'drooling' over me but it might help my confidence which could help me meet someone.)

Just running around the block every day will make you loose weight fairly quickly and less hassle than going to a gym.

klystron
14th August 2009, 02:16 PM
Karate 2-3 times a week
Weight training Mon/Wed/Fri mornings before work
I ride one of my bikes as much as possible (ie to work, to shops, around town) instead of car/motorbike -- or if whether doesnt permit I do 30min sessions with bike on wind trainer Tue/Thurs morning before work
Conditioning training (see link below)
walk the dog
eat well.

I do not have gym membership. (Dont need it!)

If you need ideas and such check this guys website:
http://www.rosstraining.com/nevergymless.html

Buying a few weights and training aids (or even making your own!) is much cheaper than gym membership.
You can then exercise whenever you want without leaving home, which severly cuts down the hassle factor (sharing equip etc) and (travel) time involved.
All you need is a little space at home.

Gutsman Heavy
14th August 2009, 02:18 PM

I lost 20 kilos by going to a gym in a about 2 months, about 4-5 times a week for approx 1-2 hours. Lots of running, biking, sit ups & push ups and some weights. I also jogged to the gym which acted as the warm up. Going with a friend who was training for the army helped a lot.

Don't go back to being a lazy bugger when your done or you'll just put the weight back on, like I did :(

Golden Phoenix
14th August 2009, 03:22 PM
Don't go back to being a lazy bugger when your done or you'll just put the weight back on, like I did :(

Funnily enough, I have been a lazy bugger and have been stuffing myself and I have seemed to have lost weight.....

Paulbot
14th August 2009, 03:42 PM
Funnily enough, I have been a lazy bugger and have been stuffing myself and I have seemed to have lost weight.....

Oh to be fast and free and young! I want to count myself among the fortunate ones. :p

shokwave2
14th August 2009, 03:49 PM
Back in high school(96) i used to play basketball at a state level, before tearing my ankle ligaments about a week before NSW try-outs. Then after leaving school i went on the dole for a year and surfed up to 3 times a day, 7 days a week. I was pretty fit back then but after having 2 kids (actually my wife had them, i just watched) and having a malignant melanoma removed from my back (always wear sunscreen at the beach), i had less time for anything and put on weight.

Then i got a job with Sydney Water reading water meters all day. I lost about 15kg just from walking on the job. And this was while eating Maccas twice a day, for breakfast and lunch. But i was walking anywhere from 20-30km a day at a fast pace. As long as you exercise and keep you heart rate up for at least 30-60 mins a day, you'll speed up your metabolism and start losing weight.

Who needs looks anyway when you have wit and a sense of humour to make the girls giddy and tingly?

Dkaris
14th August 2009, 09:35 PM
the best weight loss is heroin and hard liquor.

but srsly i ve been walking my dog heaps lately, its good =]

Golden Phoenix
14th August 2009, 10:07 PM
after having 2 kids (actually my wife had them, i just watched)

Some one else do all the fun parts then? :p:D

hotaru_oz
15th August 2009, 12:34 AM
Because I suffer from chronic back pain I rarely exercise however having grown up in the country and having no car I tend to walk everywhere, even when doing the grocery shopping for the fortnight. There are some days when I've some how pulled my back out and cannot leave my bed >.<
I don't eat out much because I'm on the dole and simply can't afford too but when I do it's usually a cheeseburger meal at maccas since it's cheap.

I weigh roughly 73 kilos and I wish to drop back to 60, I've tried dieting but for some reason I actually gained weight >.<. I'm trying this new tea from the chemist that helps increase your metabolism, so far I've dropped a kilo but for some reason it's making me eat more >.>

It doesn't probably help that I have an addiction to caffeine and sugar lol

Ode to a Grasshopper
15th August 2009, 12:59 AM
55 kg, about 5'10 - partially naturally slender, partially not much appetite anyway and partially messed-up eating habits thanks to spending adolesence on dexamphetamines.

Autocon
15th August 2009, 01:32 AM
diet drinks will put the weight on
i hate winter cant ride my back:mad: id like to do lots of things yoga palites martial arts no time or money:(

taru go through your day what did you do?

GoktimusPrime
15th August 2009, 09:01 AM
This is true. I used to drink that crap for years thinking otherwise. :( I only occasionally drink a coke zero if I need a caffeine hit (I hate coffee) - but otherwise yeah, I try to avoid soft drinks, diet or otherwise.

i hate winter cant ride my back id like to do lots of things yoga palites martial arts no time or money
...time is more of an issue for me over money. That's why I got an exercise bike because it reduces the time (and money) factor - you don't need to travel nor pay fees. Still, since having a baby even finding time to ride it regularly has become a challenge. :(

I do teach self-defence once a week for school sport though. :)

Scattershot
15th August 2009, 09:02 AM
I do weights/gym 5 days a week ann monitor my diet according to what program and what I am trying to achieve. At the momey my program looks a bit like this:

Monday: Quads/Hamstrings
Tuesday: Chest/Tri's
Wednesday: Rest
Thursday: Shoulders
Friday: Back/Bi's
Saturday:Calves/Abs

I've dropped cardio for the time being, trying to add some mass, get passed that magic 100kg number. Although I can't complain since when I started 4 years ago I weighed in at a whooping 73kg. I love the gym/bodybuilding lifestyle. I like the dedication and discipline it teaches you. I've been off sick the last week and its driving me nuts. Can't wait to get back in there on Monday for a big legs session!

GoktimusPrime
15th August 2009, 09:30 AM
I find it difficult to train by myself because I just find it so boring. That's why I have a TV with DVD player and X-Box in front of my exercise bike so I can watch DVDs or play games while pedalling away. :)

shokwave2
15th August 2009, 10:47 AM
I'm trying this new tea from the chemist that helps increase your metabolism, so far I've dropped a kilo but for some reason it's making me eat more

That means it's working then. You're body's burning your food quicker which makes you hungrier more often. Just cut down on the meal size a bit and your body will get used to it.

hotaru_oz
16th August 2009, 06:40 PM
i hate winter cant ride my back:mad: id like to do lots of things yoga palites martial arts no time or money:(

taru go through your day what did you do?

it's not really a diet drink like those slim fast shakes, it's just herbal tea leaves that you drink without milk and sugar.
I'm unemployed at the moment so my day is usually filled with house work and running errands.
I only eat 2 meals a day one being breakfast and then tea (don't really bother with lunch) however I do tend to snack alot during the day which is just a cherry ripe or a piece of toast.
My main problem is I drink alot of soft drinks, coke and Pepsi in particular, I think it has to with my medication making me drowsy but since I started the tea my cravings for coke have dwindled.

That means it's working then. You're body's burning your food quicker which makes you hungrier more often. Just cut down on the meal size a bit and your body will get used to it.
Cool, I don't eat as much fast food as I used to though, I don't crave it as much as I used too so it should all work out.

GoktimusPrime
16th August 2009, 10:51 PM
Because I suffer from chronic back pain I rarely exercise
Are you able to do low-impact exercises like Tai Chi, Pilates, Yoga, aquatics etc.?

My main problem is I drink alot of soft drinks, coke and Pepsi in particular,
I used to have this problem, but I've since majorly cut back. At first I switched to fresh fruit juice (typically 99% juice) and then weened off that. Now I usually drink tea, water and milk (skim and soy). I allow myself fruit juice and diet soft drinks on the odd occasion; but there was one stage when I would drink soft drinks ONLY. That was baaaaad. :(

hotaru_oz
16th August 2009, 11:56 PM
I did try Yoga and it kinda hurt, I have a really bad attention span so things like Tai Chi I could never grasp.
My doctor Suggested Pilates buts a bit expensive for me but I do swim alot in the summer since I live close to the Beach.
I'm kind of scared to trying new things as one false move leaves me in alot of pain.
As for soft drinks god knows I've tried but I always seem go back. I never bother with diet drinks as they pretty much just as bad for you plus they leave a dry taste in my mouth for some reason.

GoktimusPrime
17th August 2009, 01:31 PM
I have a really bad attention span so things like Tai Chi I could never grasp.
There's research that indicates that physical activities can assist with improving attention span, particularly activities which develop left-right coordination which Tai Chi would do (amongst other sports). Some people us it as a way of assisting kids with ADD and ADHD.

Some articles:
Exercise and ADHD Symptoms (http://add.about.com/od/treatmentoptions/a/ratey.htm)
ADD and Exercise (http://ezinearticles.com/?ADD-and-Exercise---What-Can-People-Do-and-Why-is-it-So-Important?&id=1984577)
Exercise for People with a Short Attention Span (http://www.helium.com/items/890721-exercise-for-people-with-a-short-attention-span)
ADHD, Exercise and Michael Phelps (http://www.wellsphere.com/add-adhd-article/adhd-exercise-and-michael-phelps/488055)

Btw I'm not for a moment suggesting that you have ADD or ADHD, many people have attention problems even w/o ADD/ADHD.

Paulbot
17th August 2009, 01:46 PM
I went for a jog over the weekend. Yay me. Now looking at gym membership prices at places around my work so I can go at lunchtimes/after work and hopefully with some good fitness class timetables (need to get back into doing step, spin and/or tae bo classes I used to do regularly).

hotaru_oz
17th August 2009, 07:16 PM
There's research that indicates that physical activities can assist with improving attention span, particularly activities which develop left-right coordination which Tai Chi would do (amongst other sports). Some people us it as a way of assisting kids with ADD and ADHD.

Some articles:
Exercise and ADHD Symptoms (http://add.about.com/od/treatmentoptions/a/ratey.htm)
ADD and Exercise (http://ezinearticles.com/?ADD-and-Exercise---What-Can-People-Do-and-Why-is-it-So-Important?&id=1984577)
Exercise for People with a Short Attention Span (http://www.helium.com/items/890721-exercise-for-people-with-a-short-attention-span)
ADHD, Exercise and Michael Phelps (http://www.wellsphere.com/add-adhd-article/adhd-exercise-and-michael-phelps/488055)

Btw I'm not for a moment suggesting that you have ADD or ADHD, many people have attention problems even w/o ADD/ADHD.

LOL I wouldn't be surprised if I had it as I can never really concentrate unless it's anything to with working on my art.
I had a mental evaluation and the shrink is certain I may have a couple of learning disabilities but I have yet to be fully diagnosed.

Today's exercise was sewing, lots of sewing. It's very exhausting after 5 or so hours then again anything is after that long lol.

Paulbot
24th August 2009, 11:48 AM
I've joined up at the gym in my office building today, with the intention of going there every day since I can work that into my working day.

Kyle
24th August 2009, 11:54 AM
In my own experience the best way to lose weight is to have some sort of illness and stay in the hospital on the drip only with no food for 2 weeks. I'm fat again now though and wish I can go back to 2003... :o

Gutsman Heavy
24th August 2009, 03:08 PM
cancer is great for that.

I've also (re)joined a gym, in a few months I'll need a name change to Buffman Sexy.

Robzy
24th August 2009, 03:19 PM
I'll need a name change to Buffman Sexy.LMAO :D:D

STL
25th August 2009, 12:31 AM
PB, I agree with the others, Cardio is the best way to lose weight. Lightweights at high reps are good for toning. If u have any questions, we can talk aboiut it over the lunch meet this week.

6gyrating_gynoid9
29th September 2009, 07:19 PM
aha, I think I can help with this one. I used to bodybuild and put on 60lbs. I looked disgusting with that 'thick' blocky look. Thank god I lost it through diet.

It's good to exercise, but what counts is caloric reduction that's all. Do not however go to really low calories eg less than 1000.

I put that mass on by eating heaps of food, I think I was consuming 5000-6000kcal (which was very hard) daily to keep my weight at 180lbs. I have since come off that diet and switched back to a lower calorie diet, somewhere around 2000-2500 kcal. I am now 130lbs.

If you have been on the overweight side but dont eat much (what this means is your caloric intake is lower than 2500kcal) I suggest weight training with moderate weights to boost metabolism. Don't consume more or less calories though or you'll gain weight.

GoktimusPrime
17th May 2017, 09:31 AM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/avatars/meme_threadnecro_zps54d14072.jpg

Turns out I've lost some weight (without actively trying :o). This morning all of my school shirts were in the wash except for one which I never wear because it's always been too small for me. So in desperation I put it on and it fits. :eek: The only recent change to my lifestyle was changing my Tai Chi class - from one that pretty much only did forms (boring) to another one which does applications and now incorporates contact push hands (which can get pretty rough - they're seriously talking about investing in jigsaw mats). :D

Galvatran
17th October 2018, 11:03 AM
So, I've steadily lost about 10kg. But since then have plateaued for 6 months. Trying to shift at least another 5kg to achieve the perfect physical specimen so they keep drooling over me. Any advice appreciated. I DON'T DO TAI CHI. :D

MayzaPrime
17th October 2018, 11:50 AM
My daily routine

6 - 630 start time at the gym, comprised of:
35min cardio - usually 6.5km - 7.5km
50min - 70min weights session (depending on workout selected)
Home by 8am
Breaky is usually a bowl of muesli
Off to work - 830am
Snacks - almonds
20 min walk
12-1230pm - lunch. I am currently on the menu plan from My Muscle Chef. Its fantastic... highly recommend.
Snacks - almonds
20 min walk.
Home - 530 - 6pm
30 min HITT session
Dinner 830pm - Again another delicious my muscle chef meal.

Have been at this for 7 weeks now. Feeling absolutely sensational. Still more to go, but well on the way.

Omega Metro
17th October 2018, 12:02 PM
I’m a geek. So I have an excuse to be a fatty fatty boom boom.:D

GoktimusPrime
17th October 2018, 10:31 PM
I'm always in shape because round is a shape. :p

Caffinetron
1st November 2018, 12:46 PM
I usually do some casual boxing routine at home. I have a boxing bag setup with some weights.
I have also found that I am cutting back on the booze through the week. Hoping to get to only a drink through the week and also I have stopped snacking and choosing the water or fruit option.

I am currently reading the book "Presto" by Penn Jillette (of Penn and Teller fame). He goes on that Potato for 2 weeks diet that Kevin Smith did after his heart attack. It's an interesting read that he also talks about their performances in Vegas for their magic show.

Galvatran
1st November 2018, 11:10 PM
My daily routine

6 - 630 start time at the gym, comprised of:
35min cardio - usually 6.5km - 7.5km
50min - 70min weights session (depending on workout selected)
Home by 8am
Breaky is usually a bowl of muesli
Off to work - 830am
Snacks - almonds
20 min walk
12-1230pm - lunch. I am currently on the menu plan from My Muscle Chef. Its fantastic... highly recommend.
Snacks - almonds
20 min walk.
Home - 530 - 6pm
30 min HITT session
Dinner 830pm - Again another delicious my muscle chef meal.

Have been at this for 7 weeks now. Feeling absolutely sensational. Still more to go, but well on the way.
Man, I'm exhausted just reading that! :D

I’m a geek. So I have an excuse to be a fatty fatty boom boom.:D
A lot of energy goes to powering that super brain of yours.

I usually do some casual boxing routine at home. I have a boxing bag setup with some weights.
I have also found that I am cutting back on the booze through the week. Hoping to get to only a drink through the week and also I have stopped snacking and choosing the water or fruit option.

I am currently reading the book "Presto" by Penn Jillette (of Penn and Teller fame). He goes on that Potato for 2 weeks diet that Kevin Smith did after his heart attack. It's an interesting read that he also talks about their performances in Vegas for their magic show.
I too would lose weight if my diet was potatoes.

But I read somewhere that it can be a good thing to stabilise body weight for a period followed by some more weight loss and so on.

ZoonMaster5000
2nd November 2018, 02:01 AM
Its funny as most of you are trying lose a bit of weight or be more active I'm actually trying to put weight on. So I'll do a bit of a run down on my day.

11am yoghurt with muesli or cereal
12pm Gym session followed by 20 mins of cardio
2:30pm 1 1\2 cups of oats with protein powder
5:30 Chicken, rice and broccoli (sometimes switch it out for meat and potatoes)
Off to work
7pm Protein cookie, apple and carmans protein muesli bar
9pm 5 eggs and 1 cup of rice
12am snack of rice cakes with protein spread and some trail mix
2-2:20am high protein frozen meal usually peanut satay chicken.
3:30am bed zzz

one day a week i go crazy and just eat whatever, it;s a bit tedious but ypu gotta feed those muscles:) I mean it doesn't always go exactly like that as i have 3 children with after school activities but it's close enough.

MayzaPrime
2nd November 2018, 10:33 AM
Man, I'm exhausted just reading that! :D

I am actually hitting 8kms in 35mins now. :D

Galvatran
2nd November 2018, 05:48 PM
I am actually hitting 8kms in 35mins now. :D
That's fantastic. I do that too... on a push bike.

SharkyMcShark
13th November 2018, 06:48 PM
This is how I do it

Monday, Wednesday, Saturday: Weights days, alternate Routine A and Routine B

Warmup: 7 minutes crosstrainer

First Exercise:
A and B: Deadlifts - currently 130kg, 140kg, 140kg, 150kg, 175kg
Superset with 15 reps of hanging leg raises w/ exercise ball held between ankles

Second Exercise:
A: Bench Press - 75kg, 85kg, 90kg, 95kg, 95kg (hoping to reach 100 in the next few months)
B: Overhead press - 52.5kg, 55kg, 57.5kg, 60kg, 62.5kg
Superset with 15 kettlebell swings and skipping between sets.

Third Exercise:
A: Bent-over rows - 60kg, 62.5kg, 62.5kg, 65kg, 65kg
B: Squats - 80kg, 90kg, 100kg, 110kg, 110kg
Superset with 15 reps of ab rollout and skipping between sets.

Fourth Exercise:
A: Standing barbell curls - 37.5kg, 40kg, 40kg, 43.5kg, 45kg
B: Wide grip lat pull-down - 75kg, 75kg, 80kg, 80kg, 80kg (trying to work toward consistent sets of wide grip pull ups)
Superset with leg press machine and skipping between sets

All exercises 5 sets of 8 reps

Cooldown: Crosstrainer, 11 minutes highest setting.

The whole exercise should take about 1 hour and 40 minutes.

Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday - cardio, 40 minutes intense on the crosstrainer