PDA

View Full Version : iPhone!!!!!

jaydisc
11th July 2008, 08:17 AM
So, just got back from a couple of hours of queueing with no luck. I chose Optus as they have the best deal, but they had offered an early pay-$100-pre-reg which I didn't participate in, and those who did, were of course prioritized.

The shop I attended had 25 units and we were about 25th in line, so we held out for a bit, but it took 30 minutes for the first person in to come out and they came out empty handed. All sim card registrations had to be called in to home base so you can imagine the delay.

A lot of nearby people in the line were holding out for 16GB. I'm getting one for my girlfriend first, so I wasn't picky, would be happy with 8GB, so I had hope. At about an hour after opening, a sticky got passed back explaining how many and what type they had left:

4 x 8GB Black (Postpay)
3 x 16GB White
8 x 8GB Black (Prepay)

At that point, we gave up hope, and left. I'll try to go back down in a couple of hours to just put my name down for the next shipment.

Anyone else got stories? Anyone else keen? Any haters (MV75, I'm sure you're one :D)?

Kyle
11th July 2008, 08:48 AM
With all the hype, I'm tempted. :o:p

Paulbot
11th July 2008, 08:53 AM
I was wondering if anyone here was going to go try to get one. I'm tempted but can't justify the expense at the mo'.

MV75
11th July 2008, 09:19 AM
Anyone else got stories? Anyone else keen? Any haters (MV75, I'm sure you're one :D)?

How did you know?

It's an iNOT to me. :D

I suppose it might have an optional extra to do voice calls on it somewhere......

But seriously, I suppose it's an ok gadget for if you're not near a computer, don't have a competiting 3g phone, or an eeepc. But really, I don't get the people that salivate over these things. It's so sad and pathetic.

Plus Apple devices, as history has shown, arn't perfect. They have their flaws, usually very obvious ones that should have been picked up during testing.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/20080709/tc_pcworld/148113;_ylt=AkCewQ2phORIk9v_It3mH_cjtBAF

And this is pretty much an indication of the Apple brand really, they half arse add features and functionality and people still rave about it and are willing to pay a premium for it just for the "cool vagrant" look. :D

In short, Apple are about image, I'm about functionality.
________
THIRD-GENERATION FORD TAURUS SPECIFICATIONS (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Third-generation_Ford_Taurus)

STL
11th July 2008, 09:29 AM
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/1526/anythingwhateverkm1.jpg (http://img88.imageshack.us/my.php?image=anythingwhateverkm1.jpg)

jaydisc
11th July 2008, 09:34 AM
But seriously, I suppose it's an ok gadget for if you're not near a computer, don't have a competiting 3g phone, or an eeepc. But really, I don't get the people that salivate over these things. It's so sad and pathetic.

My girlfriend doesn't know what an EEEPC is, and when i stuck a 1st G iPhone in front of her, she knew how to use it and was gleeful. Now, she knew nothing about iPod/hype etc. So, there was something so refreshing to her about the usability of the device, and to non-power users, that's refreshing.

Me, I have a Nokia E61 which i actively use VOIP and SSH on. Based on my interpretation, you're a similar level of power user, so I can understand your perspective.

Plus Apple devices, as history has shown, arn't perfect. They have their flaws, usually very obvious ones that should have been picked up during testing.

Unlike Microsoft (<cough>Vista</cough>) or Hasbro? Who is the baseline for comparison here?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/20080709/tc_pcworld/148113;_ylt=AkCewQ2phORIk9v_It3mH_cjtBAF

Not sure what you're citing here, as all three reviewers love the device. Their only reservations are to those that already have an iPhone.

And this is pretty much an indication of the Apple brand really, they half arse add features and functionality and people still rave about it and are willing to pay a premium for it just for the "cool vagrant" look. :D

Apple has always specialized in knowing what to leave out. I remember when iPod competitors would talk about how FM radio and video capability set them apart from the iPod. No one cared. No one wanted those features. Sure, focus groups are all about saying, "Hey, yeah, that would be cool." but history as proved, they're unnecessary and unused.

Also, unlike the traditional Apple, they're going for brutal marketshare here. This 2nd gen iPhon adds VERY little, basically just 3G (which arguably should have been there in the first place) and GPS. Instead of adding more, they reduced the price. This release is ruthlessly about market share, and when you combine the app store which will actually be the first time the common man even REALIZED he could install stuff on a cell phone and the US$99 price point you can be sure it'll hit next year, this thing is going to decimate the entire mobile industry. Palm's already dead. RIM is sh$tting it's pants. WinMo has always blown, and Nokia's got the best shot, but they're years off.

In short, Apple are about image, I'm about functionality.

I hope this opinion isn't coming from a Windows user. Personally, I have a UNIX background, so there is a certain beauty of balance and power I can get with Apple products. I've got SSH and Apache built in, AND I can run Adobe Photoshop and Office (although I'm proud to say I don't even have the latter installed). While anyone that tells you security on a Mac is not an issue is an idiot, I don't have to worry about malware or viruses either. Personally, I don't even use an admin account day-to-day on my Mac and a properly configured ipfw and other unix stalwarts give me protection unimaginable on a Windows device.

MV75
11th July 2008, 02:45 PM
Me, I have a Nokia E61 which i actively use VOIP and SSH on. Based on my interpretation, you're a similar level of power user, so I can understand your perspective.

And I have a LG chocolate that I've got on a prepaid $15/6month virgin account and havn't had to use it yet. :D

I'm not ruled by my anti-social gadgets. ;) I'm too cool to follow the conformist crowd. :cool:

Unlike Microsoft (<cough>Vista<cough>) or Hasbro? Who is the baseline for comparison here?

No, themselves.

Not sure what you're citing here, as all three reviewers love the device. Their only reservations are to those that already have an iPhone.

Apple has always specialized in knowing what to leave out. I remember when iPod competitors would talk about how FM radio and video capability set them apart from the iPod. No one cared. No one wanted those features. Sure, focus groups are all about saying, "Hey, yeah, that would be cool." but history as proved, they're unnecessary and unused.

Look again at the shortfalls. They are pretty significant. And major features such as GPS and camera are done half arsed. And the battery issue it still there. Been there ever since the original ipod. The iphone is just a glorified sms/ipod device with an image. You can't kid yourself.

I hope this opinion isn't coming from a Windows user. Personally, I have a UNIX background, so there is a certain beauty of balance and power I can get with Apple products. I've got SSH and Apache built in, AND I can run Adobe Photoshop and Office (although I'm proud to say I don't even have the latter installed). While anyone that tells you security on a Mac is not an issue is an idiot, I don't have to worry about malware or viruses either. Personally, I don't even use an admin account day-to-day on my Mac and a properly configured ipfw and other unix stalwarts give me protection unimaginable on a Windows device.

Ok, if you say so. :D
________
Vapir no2 vaporizer (http://vaporizers.net/portable-vaporizers)

1orion2many
11th July 2008, 02:59 PM
:confused:I don't think the coverage in Australia is good enough to warrant getting this, my father in-law was going to buy one overseas but after a lot of studying up decided it was a waste of money with what it could offer in the Australian enviroment. Check for yourself before you commit.;)

dirge
11th July 2008, 09:21 PM
While I much prefer a Mac to Windows (hell, I prefer a notepad and pencil to windows), I don't love everything Apple does. The iPhone is a great toy for those who want the latest and greatest (I'm not saying it's the greatest, I'm using a figure of speech) in their pocket, but is limited for a power user who wants the best in a specific feature. The iPhone is well designed for what it's trying to achieve, but it's not for me.

For me it's all about the music library. I have ~50G of music, so the iPhone would represent a significant step backwards compared to my iPod. I care not about the phone, as long as the damn thing makes & receives calls.

jay's spot on about Apple knowing what to leave out. I remember when they shipped the first iMac without a floppy drive. While it was probably a year or two ahead of time, they rightly realised that 1.44m floppies were on borrowed time. As for the FM radio... the majority of those buying iPhones want the latest & greatest phone, and with 8G of music ad-free, the FM radio is easily forgotten.

jay's also spot on about the market share. The iPhone has an aura - even if the first one was light on features & heavy on flair. Now Apple are taking the aura they've built and are going shopping for customers.

I'll get a iPhone when one hits the market with the capacity I need. And then it'll be when either my mobile phone or iPod at the time dies.

Burn
11th July 2008, 09:30 PM
I never understood the hype either. From my understanding it's an iPod with a 3G phone attached to it.

If there's one thing i've learnt over the years is that devices that can do multiple jobs, while handy to have, are a real pain in the arse when they break down.

DVD/VCR players .... one side buggers up, you're down two machines.

Fax/Photocopier/Printer/Scanner ... well hell, something goes wrong there you're down four machines!

Back in December I got a Nokia Navigator through Virgin. It's 3G but their network doesn't extend here, that doesn't bother me though as I really just wanted to upgrade my phone and thought the GPS was a nifty feature, oh and it plays MP3's!

So I decided to start using it down the gym ... well it became a pain in the arse having to carry it around as I couldn't find any straps for it and it was too heavy for my pockets.

Went out and bought an iPod instead. Works perfectly down the gym.

So why oh why would I need an iPhone? I wouldn't. As an iPod it's too big and bulky and as a phone, well meh ... does the same as the hundreds of other phones out there.

So yeah, it doesn't interest me, I like having a few gadgets that do their own individual jobs and as fun as it is to have the latest and greatest, I can wait until it's absoloutely necessary for me to have them.

loophole
11th July 2008, 09:33 PM
iPhone=iMeh i just want a phone that rings and txt's people

dirge
11th July 2008, 09:36 PM
Oh, I understand the hype. There are a lot of Apple fans who are consistent early adopters. There are also a lot of people who feel the need to upgrade their mobile phone every six months or so - something I discovered when working at a phone dealer.

I've never really understood either mentality - especially the mobile phone upgraders, when the newer models are almost invariably newer models of the same damn thing. My awareness of the early adopters and phone upgraders means I understand the hype around the iPhone, even if I couldn't give a slag about it myself.

loophole
11th July 2008, 09:42 PM
one of the the things that really puts me off it as a spray painter i do tend to get paint on my hands so if i was then to touch the screen with paint on my hands all i would get is a very dirty screen just not cool

Gutsman Heavy
11th July 2008, 11:50 PM
like all other products by apple it is effected by the iRule

iRule: Any product that is "i<product>" (eg "iPod") can AND will have a cheaper better alternative.

To Punish & Enslave
12th July 2008, 12:13 AM
I’m a little lost. People actually lined up in the streets over night for a phone. At least that's what I saw on the news. That’s on par with waiting overnight for a chance to grab some of Hamish & Andy's Gravy Chips. These people have will power I tells yas. I waited for a bus once that was 10 minutes late and I lost it.:cool:

Robzy
12th July 2008, 12:20 AM
I waited for a bus once that was 10 minutes late and I lost it.:cool::D Bwahahahahahaha! :D

dirge
12th July 2008, 12:21 AM
I remember there was a pair of sneakers released this May... I lined up for a couple of hours (and it turned out I had to, only 2 in my size in Sydney)... apparently there was three guys lining up in Brisbane for three days.

To Punish & Enslave
12th July 2008, 12:24 AM
:D Bwahahahahahaha! :D
;) You’re keeping 3 chicks waiting to make that comment lol. It’s all good my fellow Adelaidian:p

To Punish & Enslave
12th July 2008, 12:26 AM
I remember there was a pair of sneakers released this May... I lined up for a couple of hours (and it turned out I had to, only 2 in my size in Sydney)... apparently there was three guys lining up in Brisbane for three days.

Couple of hours yes. Three days a lil loopy.

dirge
12th July 2008, 12:40 AM
Couple of hours yes. Three days a lil loopy.

Anyone who spends three days in Brisbane is loopy IMO. Yes, even Brisbanites :D

Robzy
12th July 2008, 12:40 AM
;) You’re keeping 3 chicks waiting to make that comment lol.I'm worth it! :D

Paulbot
12th July 2008, 07:43 PM
I would like an fm radio in my music player/phone but that's just me.

As for a iPhone, while it's nice at the moment I would not feel safe walking around with it. With the security guards in force at the Vodafone and Telstra shops on Friday, the scarcity of the phone and the value of the phone, doesn't carrying one around make you a mugging target? Catching the train out to Dandenong late at night I'd be too scared to take it out of my pants.

STL
13th July 2008, 12:48 AM
I would like an fm radio in my music player/phone but that's just me.

As for a iPhone, while it's nice at the moment I would not feel safe walking around with it. With the security guards in force at the Vodafone and Telstra shops on Friday, the scarcity of the phone and the value of the phone, doesn't carrying one around make you a mugging target? Catching the train out to Dandenong late at night I'd be too scared to take it out of my pants.

You could always whip out ur Big Daddy instead? :p

dirge
13th July 2008, 01:10 AM
Went to the shiny new Apple Store today. I needed a external hard drive, and I don't want a USB one from Random Store Pty Ltd when Firewire is faster. So I went and got me a LaCie drive on my way to meeting mates for dinner. In and out before all the lemmings lined up for iPhones were through the iPhone queue, too.

Which of course meant I turned up to dinner with a small Apple branded baggie... one of my friends had this pained look on his face, "you didn't buy an iPhone did you? Oh no, you did!"

Priceless :D

sifun
14th July 2008, 03:37 PM
You could always whip out ur Big Daddy instead? :p

I think that would work as a distraction.. definitely lol! then punch them in the face while they're looking at it

kurdt_the_goat
14th July 2008, 04:35 PM
Went to the shiny new Apple Store today. I needed a external hard drive, and I don't want a USB one from Random Store Pty Ltd when Firewire is faster.

Not to mention you probably didn't have any USB slots left eh? One of my pet peeves about certain Apple computers.

dirge
14th July 2008, 10:38 PM
Not to mention you probably didn't have any USB slots left eh? One of my pet peeves about certain Apple computers.

Nah USB availability isn't a issue.

MV75
14th July 2008, 10:45 PM

What? Like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hnOCUkbix0

:D
________
Hot box vape (http://hotboxvaporizers.com)

Paulbot
27th February 2011, 03:59 PM
iPhone battery questions!

My 3GS phone's battery seems to be on it's way out. The charge seems to be running out really quickly now. It's about 18 months old.

Part of the problem is that the battery indicator is way off. It say 60% full and then dies, suddenly, and after turning it back on and having it die again a few times, the "flashing red plug me in" screen appears despite the indicator saying I was above 50%.

I've read a few suggestions on forums to say that you need to completely charge, decharge, recharge, decharge etc a few times for the indicator to get back in synch apparently so I will try that.

But has anyone had to replace their iPhone battery? It doesn't seem to me that Apple have made this an easy thing to do. I see there are third party companies who make replacement batteries but opening the iPhone pretty much means Apple will no longer help you with (doesn't it?). If anyone in Melbourne has replace their battery or knows of a business that will do that I'd like to know. I was going to ask at the Apple store when I have some spare time.

Another question, I'm still under contract, but I could get Optus to unlock my iPhone couldn't I? I want to use it while travelling, but ideally with a local SIM in the foreign country rather than pay Optus global roaming charges. This is my first mobile phone under contract so I'm not really sure how all that works.

blackie
27th February 2011, 04:28 PM
one day optus sent me a message saying my iphone was unlocked
i didnt ask for it at all, they just decided they would....

jaydisc
27th February 2011, 05:15 PM
Optus did that for my second phone. With the first phone, I had to request it. Optus then basically forwards the request to Apple and Apple unlocks the serial number of the phone in their database. To complete the process and unlock the hardware, you have to do a restore, as it's when the restore completes, that iTunes checks the properties of the serial number and accordingly unlocks your phone. So give Optus a call to do it, but give yourself time for it to happen and to do a restore.

As far as battery replacement, Apple does have a program (http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/service/battery/) in the US for US$79 where they will replace it. It's unclear if this program is global. Best thing to do is call Apple Care and check. I'll wager they can do it on the spot at a genius bar appointment at Chadstone.

Paulbot
13th March 2011, 03:37 PM
Went to the Genius Bar today and was told to download the latest software update and do a complete restore on my phone and see if that fixes it. And if not, come back within 7 days and pick up a new phone they've put on hold for me (for $110). I was tempted to just get the new one right there but am trying the software update/complete restore now.

jaydisc
13th March 2011, 03:45 PM
Sweet. Yeah, Apple's definition of an iPhone repair is to give you a newly refurbished one and send your old to repair for the next customer. It's exceptional service. I coulda/shoulda warned you about restore. That's always the final step before replacing. I recommend doing it anyway, but if you can't be stuffed, just say you did anyway.

Sharky
13th March 2011, 08:19 PM
alrighty,

my current phone contract is due to expire next week and was wondering if it is worth while picking up the iPhone, i have the iPad currently with 3g connection and all that jazz so it takes care of alot of the similar things as the phone.. so is there a point in getting the phone still??

i kind of think having the capability of them linking together is an advantage but i am not sure if it will be used to its full potential and in turn worth "investing in"

any advice is always appreciated..

jaydisc
13th March 2011, 10:30 PM
Well, staying in the same ecosystem will always be compelling. Any and all of your purchases are authorized for use on your iPhone. I've got a Mac, iPhone and iPad, and I barely, if ever, use the iPad. (I have it to test all the software I've never written :D). When I'm at home, or able to use my Mac, I use that as I'm a keyboard ninja and I'm just considerable more proficient with it. When I'm out, even though I might have the iPad with me, the iPhone is just a one-handed power house.

What are the alternatives?

blackie
13th March 2011, 10:33 PM
Mines slowly falling apart. 6 months till I'm out of contract. I hope the next gem iPhone is released before then.....

Sharky
13th March 2011, 11:46 PM
What are the alternatives?

just about everything on the market there is so much choice...

jaydisc
13th March 2011, 11:58 PM
OK, so you're definitely getting a new phone and contract? It's just which phone? What do you think of your iPad and iOS? Do you have a lot of apps? Do you use a Mac or PC? Do you use Gmail, Google Calendar or any Google properties?

Sharky
14th March 2011, 07:30 AM
OK, so you're definitely getting a new phone and contract? It's just which phone? What do you think of your iPad and iOS? Do you have a lot of apps? Do you use a Mac or PC? Do you use Gmail, Google Calendar or any Google properties?

yeah i definitely need a new phone and the contract is up i will be going with telstra as it will work well with bundling it with my future home phone in a few months time (since it is a new estate only hardline telstra is availiable there)

i have a PC at home and do use gmail and google blogspot, i use my Outlook calender alot. and the iPad gets a good work out both at home and at work it is a handy tool. even the travel time i tend to watch alot of movies on it so i do find the ipad easy to use and i do have alot for it.

jaydisc
14th March 2011, 03:11 PM
I think as an existing iOS user, you would find the alternatives frustrating as none have the same fit and polish, and of course, none of your existing investment in apps would carry over. Some folks like diversity and playing with varying operating systems at the same time. I prefer consistency; makes me faster.

Outlook without Exchange is a bit of a dead end. Well, wirelessly at least. You can always sync your iPhone or iPad to it, but that requires a wired sync via iTunes, which many find inconvenient. Using Google Calendar and a different desktop app would allow you to have the calendar on all devices syncing wireless and automatically.

At the moment, the only two viable options are iOS and Android, and I'm just not familiar with the Android offering in Australia. With Android, unless you get a Nexus One or a Nexus S, you're going to be beholden to your carrier for operating system updates, and in such a fast moving industry, that can be frustrating. If you do go Android, research a handset that runs the latest OS, and is expected to get free updates in a timely manner. The remaining options are RIM, Microsoft and Palm/HP, although I'm unsure if the latter have an Australian offering. Microsoft and RIM are 3 years behind everyone else, and while Palm OS is pretty slick, the app market is not comparable to Apple or Google's at all.

Sorry, this is a bit of a rambling mishmash of insight. Hope some of it is of value to you.

Sharky
14th March 2011, 04:32 PM
it does..

my other option is to just get a phone that sends messages and takes pictures like a nokia bar phone and to not worry about all the fancy smanshiness and leave that to the iPad (since it does go most places with me)

jaydisc
14th March 2011, 04:46 PM
Yeah, that's what I was inferring when I asked what your alternatives were. Think of this though: If you're going to pay $x per month anyway for service, most phone companies are happy to offset the value of a handset for you for anywhere up to $600, so think about getting some value for your monthly payments. If you prefer prepay, aren't sure you want to stay with the same carrier, or need very little credit per month, than avoiding a new handset and contract makes sense.

Bartrim
5th May 2011, 07:40 AM
Being a fairly new iphone4 owner I have a question. I put my iphone on a speaker dock at work to play music, then take it home every night, then plug it into the dock the next day at work. So I'm plugging it into this dock with about 95% battery then it charges while on the dock. Will this affect will this have on the battery? As in will it be able to hold it's charge if I do this or will it not be able to hold any charge?

Thanks

jaydisc
5th May 2011, 11:48 AM
iPhones, and basically all modern electronic devices with rechargable batteries use Lithiom Ion batteries. These batteries don't suffer the renown "memory effect" which means that you will get a better charge if you do a full discharge. Basically an LI battery simply loses a bit of its maximum life year after year. Excessive or trickle charging shouldn't effect this. However, due to its design, it's important that the cells get a workout at least once a month, meaning that you should use the battery for close to its end at least once a month. Other than that, you should be fine.

Apple themselves indicate (http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html) that after 400 charges, your battery should still hold 80% of its former maximum life. As to whether toping your phone up from 95%-100% each day counts as one of those charges is tough to tell. There should be some [hopefully free] utilities on the app store that lets you see how many times your battery has been charged. Macs show this in System Profiler. Many times if my Mac is only down to 95% and I plug it back in, it's not considered another charge. However, whether that count relates to the above statistic… unknown.

Battery replacements are available, both from Apple and third parties. I wouldn't worry too much. Just remember to do a full deplete once a month, which I suspect might naturally happen for you anyway.

Bartrim
26th May 2011, 10:40 AM
Thanks for that Jay.

BTW warning for those people looking at getting an iphone. Be careful with the predictive text. WARNING: The link below contains offensive language... It's still funny though:D

http://damnyouautocorrect.com/8845/our-12-favorite-do-not-want-food-texts/