PDA

View Full Version : Are they considered Classics or NOT!?!

iceburn
11th July 2008, 10:09 AM
well...i'm a poor writer for starters but here goes:

there has been a debate between a number of fans here in Melbourne as to whether the following 3 figures should be classified as from the Classics Series:

- Masterpiece (Hasbro/Takara) Anime Colours Starscream
- Masterpiece 20th Anniversary (Hasbro) Optimus Prime
- Reissue Soundwave with Ravage and Laserbeak

Personally, as I have 2 MP Starscream now. One of each has gone to the Classics and Masterpiece Series respectively.

I've only 1 MP (Hasbro) Prime and that has gone under Classics Series while the latest acquisition of MP04 (and future MP01) will be under Masterpiece.

Reissue Soundwave doesn't matter to me as there were so many reissues. I've basically classified him again under Classics Series for now as I do not have many Hasbro Commemorative Reissues. There's also the Encore Series Soundwave which could be my G1 figure. I know some of you are using MP3 Soundwave as your Classics but I don't see it that way.

The other thing to consider is...do we determine by the toy figure itself or figure that comes in the packaging that counts? So, lets have a poll....

TheDirtyDigger
11th July 2008, 10:12 AM
Ooohhh. Votings neck and neck! I am right of course!:)

iceburn
11th July 2008, 10:13 AM
hahahaha.....
oops..i forgot another vote:

I LOVE MACHINE MEN!!!!

Pulse
11th July 2008, 10:58 AM
All these polls are giving me a headache... :o

Why can't I vote for the Gobots? :confused::p

Gutsman Heavy
11th July 2008, 11:58 AM
Classics box means classics line, IMO.

kup
11th July 2008, 12:23 PM
Classics box means classics line, IMO.

I disagree with this as Hasbro would simply recycle a box art design out of lazyness not to maintain consistency as a line.

Look at MP Starscream, it clearly says Masterpiece and Soundwave clearly says 'commemorative Edition' as in Reissue (although it uses the Soundblaster mold) but they both sport a 'Classics' themed box.

Another example of Hasbro lazyness when it comes to recycling box art is the Crasher repaint. Will anyone seriously consider this release a Movie toy??

I don't trust Hasbro and its Box art so when I recieve a toy; I will judge whrere it belongs based on common sense and fictional story behind the figure, certainly not where Archer decides to release a figure or the box theme he decides to slap on it.

griffin
11th July 2008, 01:44 PM
This was something debated about a year ago on the old board, and I think the underlying way for sorting or classifying 'Classics' was by packaging or its design asthetic/look. If by the former, then they count. If by the latter, then they don't.
But then, like me, I go by the former with the exception of those big figures that were previously released in other lines (OP and Soundwave) or would have been in another line (Starscream).

Pulse
11th July 2008, 02:34 PM
I've gotta agree with you Guys on whether packaging something as "Classics" really means that it's a part of the "Classics" line.

"Classics Soundwave" should be classified as a reissue where as "Classics MP Prime & Screamer" should be classified as MPs. (Please don't flame me... :o:p)

DigDug
11th July 2008, 04:16 PM
I'm on my own (but I can tolerate controversy) :) but to me, their status depends on how well I think they were integrated into the toy line for our region.

Take Soundwave 'classics'. His AU box has the commemorative series label but is clearly in a classics-styled box which advertises other classics toys as 'also available'. His scale and neo-G1 aesthetic indicate to me he is more at home in the classics line, even if he was initially meant for the commemorative series somewhere else.

MP Starscream's box design is clearly intended to allign him to the classics series although it lacks mention of other toys from the line. IMO his modernised G1-like mould suits the classics and the colours confirm his intended status in AU as a 'classic' release from the outset. The only problem is scale. As a Japanese MP, Starscream doesn't match any other classics toy for size except this other MP bastardisation:

20th anniversary Prime. He is easy. Initially he was NOT sold as a classics toy here in AU, only a one-off chance to have an MP 01 on such a momentous occasion when no such line existed. Note that 20th DVD Prime, was essentially a classics repackage to maintain toy saleability with perfunctory a nod to the current style of packaging. Completists may disagree, but I personally don't want to accept him as a true classic because he was on sale in AU prior to the series as something else and still feels like a shoe-in. That and I hate his built-in quotes :o

To be fair, all these toys have been released in correct classics line packaging variants for our region* even if they weren't always elsewhere. So like it (or join the apparent majority) as they all were, in some form, 'classics' here. Interestingly, the word 'classics' is not an essential feature on the box for a toy to actually be from the Hasbro classic line. Like the others, Devastator, Battle for Autobot city and The Ultimate Battle boxes lack this wording but are undeniably from the Classics series. Being a repaint didn't hold Devastator back, either... So it seems you can pick and choose to your heart's content!

GoktimusPrime
11th July 2008, 06:24 PM
I don't count any of those as Classics. Soundwave counts as G1 reissue and MP Starscream counts as Masterpiece.

Lemme put it this way, if like me, you have your G1s, Classics and Masterpieces displayed on separate shelves, which shelf would you put Soundwave and Starscream on? I used to have Hasbro reissue Soundwave - when I did, I displayed it on my 1984 Decepticon G1 shelf. I've since traded that toy off and now my Encore Soundwave is on that shelf. My Hasbro MP Starscream is displayed with my other Masterpieces. I have never displayed either Soundwave or Starscream on my Classics/Henkei shelf.

Burn
11th July 2008, 09:33 PM
I don't count any of those as Classics. Soundwave counts as G1 reissue and MP Starscream counts as Masterpiece.

Like Gok said.

None of them are marketted as "Classics". They're marketted as "Masterpiece" or "Reissue" regardless of packaging style.

Robzy
11th July 2008, 09:40 PM
A re-packaged figure from another line (G1, MP or whatever) is not part of Classics IMO!

For me, my "Classic" Soundwave is the Music Label version! ;)

STL
11th July 2008, 10:18 PM
Aw, come on, my solution is the best. You can call Screamer "Classic Re-Issue Masterpiece Starscream". Doesn't that solve all problems? :D

Burn
11th July 2008, 10:26 PM
CRIMP Starscream?

STL
11th July 2008, 10:30 PM
CRIMP Starscream?

:D

Pulse
11th July 2008, 10:30 PM
Goddamnit! All this "Classics/not Classics talk" has got me a wondering... :rolleyes:

Wouldn't it be damn cool if we got a Classics Wheelie? :D I'm already picturing myself "feeding him" to Unicron... :p

GoktimusPrime
11th July 2008, 10:36 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v420/ironmaniac/NEW/wheelie1.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v420/ironmaniac/NEW/wheelie2.jpg
http://www.tfarchive.com/comics/idw/images/spotlight_wheelie.jpg

:)

Gutsman Heavy
11th July 2008, 11:38 PM
Wheelie was trade marked by Hasbro not too long ago, so he may pop up in inverse. Cyb Ransack would make one cool as Wheelie!

http://images.wikia.com/transformers/images/b/b3/Ransackcybtoy.jpg
That in orange, he even has the hat!

Burn
12th July 2008, 07:55 AM
ahhhh don't desecrate that mold!

Soundwarp
12th July 2008, 08:09 AM
Oh my, it's very definate!!

kup
12th July 2008, 09:38 AM
ahhhh don't desecrate that mold!

Agreed, that bike would make a horrible wheelie.

GoktimusPrime
12th July 2008, 11:57 AM
I think Burn meant that he didn't want to see the Ransack mould (which is a pretty good Scout) defiled by being made into Wheelie. :) Although as you can see from those pics I posted, IDW used the unofficial "Classics Wheelie" mould (it's fan made) in Spotlight: Wheelie. IDW did actually make Wheelie into a decent character by falling back onto Wheelie's original G1 tech specs description of having him as a survivalist rather than just this cartoony kiddie character. I definitely recommend reading Spotlight: Wheelie.

Burn
12th July 2008, 03:40 PM
I think Burn meant that he didn't want to see the Ransack mould (which is a pretty good Scout) defiled by being made into Wheelie. :)

Damn straight! I'm no Wheelie lover!

But I gotta agree with Gok, IDW did a good job of fleshing out his character.

kup
12th July 2008, 04:46 PM
Damn straight! I'm no Wheelie lover!

Who said you were?

Pulse
12th July 2008, 04:52 PM
Hmm,
There's been plenty of Prime/Screamer/Bumblez/Soundwave etc. luvers over the years but has there been any Wheelie fanatics? :D

Surely that "Rhyming thing of his" must appeal to someone? :rolleyes:

iceburn
12th July 2008, 05:12 PM
ba humbug

DigDug
12th July 2008, 05:35 PM

Lemme put it this way, if like me, you have your G1s, Classics and Masterpieces displayed on separate shelves, which shelf would you put Soundwave and Starscream on? I used to have Hasbro reissue Soundwave - when I did, I displayed it on my 1984 Decepticon G1 shelf. I've since traded that toy off and now my Encore Soundwave is on that shelf. My Hasbro MP Starscream is displayed with my other Masterpieces. I have never displayed either Soundwave or Starscream on my Classics/Henkei shelf.

LOL I'm not trying to recategorise the toys, just place them where I feel they look good!

I generally display Soundwave and Starscream in their packaging with my boxed collection of classics. TRU Soundwave is a little too different to his G1 counterpart to place him with my other G1 toys which are all well loved - there aren't many to put him with anyway! To me, Soundwave's colours, new front door design, Laserbeak's wing art and (especially) the box art sit well in the classics lineup :) Edit: and there is no classics 1.0 Soundwave to compete with!

The lack of an official Masterpiece series in Australia/the west means that Starscream (in box) only matches well with the classics. He dominates most of the other toys and can't sanely participate in 'toy battles' but as a 1-off very similar in form and colour to the small Starscream, to the point of being a scaled up version, he makes sense to me as a 'crown jewel' in such a collection.

If I decide to expand my MP collection then I would possibly consider MP-03 first, for purity's sake. If I was cash laden I would go both just for fun _and_ have an MP Starscream with the classics :D For now I must be satisfied moving him occasionally, when I feel bored.

Burn
12th July 2008, 05:39 PM
Who said you were?

Getting in before someone does. :p

GoktimusPrime
12th July 2008, 09:10 PM
I have both Takara and Hasbro MP Starscreams and I display both of them on my Masterpiece shelf, not on my Classics shelf.

iceburn
12th July 2008, 10:38 PM
i wont display those MP (Classics) on my Classics shelves either but in my database, they belong to Classics Series

dirge
13th July 2008, 01:00 AM
Who said you were?

I did. Burn is a Wheelie lover. He also steals from small children, annoys pilgrims at World Youth Day and eats the pickles in McDonalds hamburgers! :D