PDA

View Full Version : Anime Discussion Thread

Kazza
18th March 2013, 11:58 PM
Did a quick search and could not find a topic based solely for anime, so decided to start a thread, if one already exist than please merge them admins.:)

Anyways this thread would be dedicated to the discussion of anime. Got an anime worth recommending to watch? Than post it here.

I recently bought the entire collection of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, just finished watching it today with the OVA's and The Sacred Star of Milos movie. I enjoyed it all but I find that this series which was based off the manga to be rather convuluted and less thought out than the original anime. I prefer the original anime more even though it's not based off the manga.

Some other anime's I would recommend to watch:

Code Geass
Deathnote
Monster
Trigun
Cowboy Bebop

DarkHyren
19th March 2013, 12:25 AM
No thread that I can see either so I'm going to post away!
I'm a huge Otaku, I've seen so many series that I had to catalogue them lol, so let me have a think.

I would have to agree that FMA:B is a little convoluted but it's still a good watch, the pacing for the first quarter or so sucked but I think that's because compared to the original it's so compressed and you miss out on a lot of great character development.
I can't decide which one I would suggest others to watch first, probably FMA:B then FMA, only because you get a deeper insight I feel watching them that way around.

From that list I've seen Deathnote, Trigun and Cowboy Bebop.
Loved Deathnote, though really hated the anime ending, they screwed it up badly compared to the way the manga ends.
The best way to watch that one I think is to either stop watching after the first arc, the show could be done at that point, or if one feels the need to keep watching to ignore the last two episodes and read the manga from that point.

I was rewatching Fullmetal Panic but I got distracted by TFPrime and started watching TFAnimated, but I'll go back to it after finishing S3 of TFA.

Some of my picks-
Gundam Seed/Gundam Seed Destiny
Tsubasa Chronicle
Slayers
Rurouni Kenshin

the list could go on lol but suffice to say I like mecha and fantasy.

Kazza
19th March 2013, 12:38 AM
I was rewatching Fullmetal Panic but I got distracted by TFPrime and started watching TFAnimated, but I'll go back to it after finishing S3 of TFA.

Some of my picks-
Tsubasa Chronicle
Slayers
Rurouni Kenshin

I've seen Full Metal Panic (fumofu and the second raid as well) I did enjoy them both but never felt like it was an anime that is worth recommending to others. But i did like how Sousuke with anti-social tendency had to go through and learn all things related to emotion.

Rurouni Kenshin, hmm i don't know how to feel, i did watch all of it, but dislike the anime as an entirerity. But I loved the OVA, it felt grim, dark and had so much depht to it. I was hoping that the anime would be similiar. Some episodes were very close, when Kenshin would go into his battousai mode.

You mentioned that you enjoyed deathnote. I strongly recommend you give code geass a go than, it has the same 'chess like strategy battle of the minds' vibe going on and is a really well thought out anime.

I was considering giving evangelion a go but theres a few versions and I'm not certain where to start.

DarkHyren
19th March 2013, 01:01 AM
Yeah I've heard several people say to me to try CG, it's definitely on my watch list as it's two things I like, mecha and Studio CLAMP.

With Evangelion it is indeed tricky to say what to watch first, I watched the original when it came out and I was liking it up until it started turning weird.
Supposedly it makes more sense if one watches the original movies but those didn't come out till a fair while after the series and by that time I was fairly put off.
I'd suggest just watching the most recent reboot, I have heard it's the best of the Evangelions so far, but I personally won't be giving it another go any time soon.

Kazza
19th March 2013, 01:13 AM
Cool, noted down. Also a particular favorite of mine is GoldenBoy (6 episode mini series), its a bit crude but its funny and smart in its own way for being an old anime. Another one i forgot to mention earlier which got me into anime was GTO (Great Teacher Onizuka) loved it and i think I live my life very similiar to him.;)

Also how could i forget to mention DRAGONBALL Z my all time favorite anime, it might not have depth but will forever be my favorite action anime. Watched it back in the days on Cheese TV

Tommahawk79
19th March 2013, 02:16 AM
kool i remember watching DBZ on cheese tv that was when the anime/cartoons on ten were presented by 2 talented guys , watched a few good things on that show but atm i cant remember it all sadly.

i havnt had much chances to watch anime so im still a bit noobish in terms of knowledge on whats out there.

my bro darkhyren has introduced me to anime like full metal panic and black lagoon i like them heeps i like mech and hot chicks with guns heh heh so they was good for each of those things currently watching TFA and prime with dh luvin it.

Kazza
19th March 2013, 03:31 AM
kool i remember watching DBZ on cheese tv that was when the anime/cartoons on ten were presented by 2 talented guys , watched a few good things on that show but atm i cant remember it all sadly.

i havnt had much chances to watch anime so im still a bit noobish in terms of knowledge on whats out there.

my bro darkhyren has introduced me to anime like full metal panic and black lagoon i like them heeps i like mech and hot chicks with guns heh heh so they was good for each of those things currently watching TFA and prime with dh luvin it.

Awesome, glad to hear other people with enjoyment to animes or just general otaku's beside myself. How is black lagoon? I've heard alot of praise towards it, but still don't know much about it.

GoktimusPrime
19th March 2013, 10:04 AM
I've heard that the Rurouni Kenshin live action movie (http://otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=12609) is now out on DVD. I've yet to find it, although I haven't checked JB Hi Fi... they're more likely to stock this as a foreign film rather than generic dept stores like Kmart. :o

Tommahawk79
19th March 2013, 04:27 PM
Awesome, glad to hear other people with enjoyment to animes or just general otaku's beside myself. How is black lagoon? I've heard alot of praise towards it, but still don't know much about it.

im loving it t ho havnt watched it all yet still its worth a look

DarkHyren
19th March 2013, 04:40 PM
Yeah Black Lagoon is pretty cool, I think the best way to describe it is Hollywood action movie meets anime, lots of gratuitous violence and explosions.

I've heard that the Rurouni Kenshin live action movie (http://otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=12609) is now out on DVD. I've yet to find it, although I haven't checked JB Hi Fi... they're more likely to stock this as a foreign film rather than generic dept stores like Kmart. :oA quick check of JB Hi Fi's online store shows that it is indeed in stock.
I haven't heard much about it, is it any good, is it just a retelling of what the anime already went over or is it a new story?

GoktimusPrime
19th March 2013, 04:56 PM
I haven't seen the film. It was only shown for a briefly at Event Cinema on George St., and it wasn't at a time when I could go see it. Suspectimus Prime said he tried to book tickets, but they were sold out! :eek: It was an inflight movie when I flew to Cairns last summer, but the flight was too short to watch the film (i.e. the film would've ended prematurely by time we were ready to land). Gah.

I've heard it's really good though... but yeah, I've yet to see it myself.

Tetsuwan Convoy
19th March 2013, 04:57 PM

I can refresh your memory.
Fight scene in the air.
6 eps later
Same fight scene in the air. (someone may have a black eye and Goku might have gone Super sayan).

Not a huge anime fan myself, but I do enjoy watching it, it's juts a matter of finding the time and one that doesn't bore me to death.

Currently watching
Space Ship Yamato 2199 and the second season of the original.

Recommend:
Gurren Lagann. trigun. Fruits Basket (Hilarious!!!) Best watched with subs as the US voice actors sound BORED OUT OF THEIR HEADS. Awful, awfull dub.
Thermae Romae. very funny and educational as well.

Hmm thought there were more, but can't think of them right now.

I suggest avoiding the anime adaptation of X-men, Wolverine and Blade. Iron Man is watchable, but only just.

valkyrie_76
19th March 2013, 09:30 PM
Anime? what is this thing you call anime?

.........kidding :D:D:D

kaiden
19th March 2013, 09:56 PM
black lagoon is awesome. season 2 is coming soon i think.

particularly love sports anime

Dkaris
19th March 2013, 09:57 PM
As far as Evangelion goes, I think the original series is the best of all of them, sure the Rebuild movies are more polished and not as dated, but for its time it was an amazing anime that had a bit more story to it than just sensless robot violence.

SDF Macross is also good, again its dated now but im my opinion it mops the floor with Macross Frontier.

Akira, Ghost in the shell, Patlabor, Elfen Lied, High School of the Dead are also quite enjoyable.

DarkHyren
19th March 2013, 10:17 PM
black lagoon is awesome. season 2 is coming soon i think.Are you referring to the Roberta's Blood Trail OVA or The Second Barrage or something completely different?

GoktimusPrime
19th March 2013, 10:34 PM
As far as Evangelion goes, I think the original series is the best of all of them, sure the Rebuild movies are more polished and not as dated, but for its time it was an amazing anime that had a bit more story to it than just sensless robot violence.
omg... Evangelion was so difficult to understand! I first watched it in raw Japanese -- no translation. I remember even watching it with native Japanese speakers... they found it hard to understand too. That would not have been an easy series to translate!

SDF Macross is also good, again its dated now but im my opinion it mops the floor with Macross Frontier.
+1. The new Macross series are visually more consistent, but the original's story is better (the TV series moreso than the movie). Although learning about the reasons why some of the poorer animated episodes and clip shows were done that way was interesting (RE: DVD audio commentary) ;)
Check out the 30th anniversary remake of the original Macross theme (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWzQkhLQYr8) ;) How cool would it be if they did a similar remake of the original Transformers theme for the 30th anniv.? :D

Akira, Ghost in the shell, Patlabor, Elfen Lied, High School of the Dead are also quite enjoyable.
I was part of the group that fansubbed the latter episodes of Ghost In The Shell Stand Alone Complex... gguuuhhh... I was living with a Japanese girl at the time who was helping me translate, and even then it was haaaarrrd! (we had no copy of the script -- translating purely by ear!)

Akira is something that I've always visually enjoyed, but could never get into the story. I've heard that it's a compression of a really expansive manga series. But I personally find Otomo Katsuhiro's anime to be rather long winded. I felt the same about Patlabor (though their stories aren't as disconnected as Akira's).

Anyone else here seen the live action Space Battleship Yamato (re: Star Blazers) movie? ;)
Star Blazers intro (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItKC89IVEJc)
New Space Battleship Yamato opening (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG56x47i1Ng)
live action movie trailer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3-x4HQAq9g)
...yes, that's Nishida "Pigsy" (from Monkey) Toshiyuki as the ship's chief engineer. ;)

lancalot
19th March 2013, 10:54 PM
Just finished watching Muv-Luv Alternative ...it pretty good... sexy girls in mechs :D The first epi really really good then the the story change making the boy the main character :confused: and becoming like gundam...:mad:
Gundam 00 is the best one for me, it had a better story and more relatable main character ..... all the other gundam just all the same thing ... Sexy girl and mech again---> Infinite Stratos not bad...:D
The new rebuild Evangelion i think alot better as the story abit more understandable as they link and explain alot of things , the old series was good but just got too spiritual at the end and then confused everyone by releasing another ending :confused: the movies were just plain bad trying to compress the whole series in to 50min !! ahahha
Had to add Claymore pretty good as well... :)

valkyrie_76
19th March 2013, 10:59 PM

Evangelion is fantastic. I have watched all of them and I agree that the original series was very good. The movie versions later (Death/Rebirth) and the other one were good and provide another version in closing the series. WIth Rebuild, the animation is brilliant and the plot does go fast compared to the series but I suppose you have to do things quickly in the movie compared to fleshing things out in a series.

Ghost in the Shell movie, GitS Stand Alone Complex and GitS SAC 2 and the GitS SAC movie are fantastic and another I would recommend. The GitS second movie is a little slow and it focus' on Batou and not the Major. Akira was another good movie but it can get a bit weird.

Patlabor series and movies are good, Elfen Lied was not the best so read the manga as it beats the anime hands down. High School of the Dead was so-so but I think its me as I am over the zombie crap.

No thread that I can see either so I'm going to post away!
I'm a huge Otaku, I've seen so many series that I had to catalogue them lol, so let me have a think.

I would have to agree that FMA:B is a little convoluted but it's still a good watch, the pacing for the first quarter or so sucked but I think that's because compared to the original it's so compressed and you miss out on a lot of great character development.
I can't decide which one I would suggest others to watch first, probably FMA:B then FMA, only because you get a deeper insight I feel watching them that way around.

From that list I've seen Deathnote, Trigun and Cowboy Bebop.
Loved Deathnote, though really hated the anime ending, they screwed it up badly compared to the way the manga ends.
The best way to watch that one I think is to either stop watching after the first arc, the show could be done at that point, or if one feels the need to keep watching to ignore the last two episodes and read the manga from that point.

Some of my picks-
Tsubasa Chronicle
Slayers
Rurouni Kenshin

I enjoyed FMA:B better then the original series for some unknown reason. I did enjoy the old series but I think the new one was better. Full Metal Panic was good as well. First and Second series were very good with both action and plot with good ecchi moments and Fumoffu I enjoyed as it was really stupid slapstick moments. Tsubasa Chronicles and xXxHolic are two more from Clamp that I woudl recommend as well. Both are in the same universe and both merge at certain points.

Slayers is also good but there is so much of that as series and movies.

With SDF Macross, you can either go by the original Japanese series or the bastardisation which we call Robotech. Again both have their weak points but both are still good. Also the Japanese had Macross II, Macross Zero, Macross Frontier, Macross Plus and the other one with the cheezy music and the bad hair :D:D:D

Bloody Code Geass gave me the shits. It annoyed the hell out of me but yet I could not stop watching. You start to like a character *BAM* dead and rage for a day. Another character comes along that you like *BAM* another dead one and rage for another day but yet the crap characters keep on bloody going.......BASTARDS!!!!

I have a varying collection that I enjoy:

K-on
Hayate no Gotoku
Nagasarete Airantou
Index and Railgun
Shakugan no Shana
Tora Dora
Valkyria Chronicles
Haruhi Suzumiya
Bubblegum Crisis and BGC 2040
Chobits (another Clamp anime)
Claymore
Darker than Black
Dennou Coil
Escaflowne series
Girls Bravo (english dub is a lot better than the Jap)
Gunslinger Girls
Higurashi no series
Ikki Tousen
Lucky Star
Maria+Holic
Monster (good horror/drama type series)
Onegai Teacher and Twins
Spice and Wolf
Tetsuwan Birdy Decode (original wasnt bad but the new one was good)
Witch Hunter Robin

Thats a few of the top of my head.

liegeprime
19th March 2013, 11:02 PM
oooh anime!

Personally I keep track of Naruto - now Naruto Shippuuden coz he's all grown up. :D Bleach - but Im reduced to reading the manga coz every site that before had it couldt upload anymore, somehow it's all being blocked by the makers. I used to watch one piece, but after the Great War arc ( where Luffy's brother dies SPOILER) I stopped. Although Ive watched all the movies of these 3 anime too.

Other Anime's Ive enjoyed watching - some already finished

1)Highschool of The Dead

2)Ben-to - all that martial arts just for a day old food, hahaha only in Japan!

3)Chobits ( I really like the opening theme song)

4)Cardcaptor Sakura

5/6)Full Metal Alchemist and FMA: Brotherhood - I do prefer the Brotherhood version (based on Manga) coz the first one was too brooding and negative, dark and just doesn't leave a good feeling once you've finished watching it.

7)Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt - for those not into powerpuff girls motif this wont suit their taste - but I just love that they had an entire episode dedicated/homage to Transformers! Awesome! Valkyrie76 did you forget to add this hehehe - you have Stocking as your avatar there now :p

8)Fairy Tail - still ongoing and awesome to watch, I just started watching it because Bleach took so long to update and months later Im hooked! The characters grow on you.

9)Blue Exorcist - anime has finished, but the manga still is going.

10) Nurarihyon and Nurarihyon no Mago- the anime is kinda in limbo. The Manga already finished - finally! took them long enough. I really like the concept - yokai and all that, plus I just really like the singers Monkey Majik (Canadian Jap band from Sendai) which the series used 3 of their songs for opening and closing themes.

11) Kimi to Boku and 2nd season as well.

12) Flame of Recca

13) Occult Academy

14) Fruits Basket

15) Sailor Moon (which was translated and dubbed in Filipino) so funny! I watched it again in English and ... meh I didn't continue after the first 3 episodes. I prefer the jokes in Filo :p
Lets just say I prefer supernatural themed ones more than mecha anime.

I usually just watch these and review them from animeflavor.com - the site also has the whole Avatar series, TF Prime, JL animated, Young Justice, Green Lantern and a lot of the anime movies (including the Ghibli ones) all in their files. Best thing is, its free! hehehe

valkyrie_76
19th March 2013, 11:08 PM
Some more:

Bakamongatari and other series
Hyouka
Boku no Imouto wa Osaka Okan (funny little anime about Osaka-ben)
Maoyuu Maou Yuusha
Muv Luv
Girls Und Panzer
Jormungand
Persona 4
Hagure Yuusha
Queens Blade (Tetsuwan made me say that :D)
Hellsing series
Irresponsible Captain Tylor
Fate series
Gosick
Setokai Yakuindomo
Lupin the Third
Psycho Pass
Kore wa Zombie Desu ka
IdolM@ster

Also my little favourite atm........my guilty little anime is Puchimasu (spinoff from Idolmaster)

More I can recommned if you want :D

Tetsuwan Convoy
19th March 2013, 11:34 PM

Ahem
I did not.

Quite hoping they make a HighSchool of the Dead Season 2. Quite enjoyed HSOTD!

Kazza
20th March 2013, 12:06 AM
oooh anime!

Personally I keep track of Naruto - now Naruto Shippuuden coz he's all grown up. :D Bleach - but Im reduced to reading the manga coz every site that before had it couldt upload anymore, somehow it's all being blocked by the makers. I used to watch one piece, but after the Great War arc ( where Luffy's brother dies SPOILER) I stopped. Although Ive watched all the movies of these 3 anime too.

I read only the manga for both Naruto Shippuuden and Bleach, i avoid the anime due to too many filler arcs.

On another note, Basilisk is a decent clan/ninja war between each other trapped in a love story. I recall watching requiem but didnt enjoy it too much. And i for one did not enjoy Hellsing and Devil May Cry, episodes felt bland and like they were just making up random stuff just to get something out to air. Watched vampire knights when it was on ABC, which was a pretty whacky school/action/love anime.

Kazza
20th March 2013, 12:08 AM
Some more:

Bakamongatari and other series
Hyouka
Maoyuu Maou Yuusha
Muv Luv
Girls Und Panzer
Jormungand
Persona 4
Hagure Yuusha
Hellsing series
Irresponsible Captain Tylor
Fate series
Gosick
Setokai Yakuindomo
Lupin the Third
Psycho Pass
Kore wa Zombie Desu ka
IdolM@ster

Also my little favourite atm........my guilty little anime is Puchimasu (spinoff from Idolmaster)

More I can recommned if you want :D

Ohh i got the persona 4 game on vita. Also go ahead and recommend what ever you feel is worth a watch, this thread is intended to discuss all things anime, ones worth watching and ones worth skipping.

Lint
20th March 2013, 01:14 AM

+1

I'm not a avid anime-watcherer but heres some recentish ones that I enjoyed.

Code Geass
Gurren Lagaan
Gundam 00
High School of the Dead

kaiden
20th March 2013, 01:47 AM
Are you referring to the Roberta's Blood Trail OVA or The Second Barrage or something completely different?

ahaha, i've gotten my info mixed up, the manga is resuming soon and so there should be more anime made of it.

i watched black lagoon years ago - seasons 1 and 2 in one sitting... so they kinda just became one season to me xD

Ahem
I did not.

unfortunately, highschool of the dead manga only has 29 chapters which is why the anime is so short...

Hursticon
20th March 2013, 04:24 AM
Oh excellent! - A great topic for a thread & really, I can't believe that it hasn't come up until now? :eek::D

My 1st curiosity with Anime (That I actually identified as Anime ;)) was when I was about 6 or 7 y/o with the 12 part OVA series The Guyver: Bio-Booster Armor (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SujWTm9D0H8). :cool:

From then on it's been a bit of a love affair ever since, as Guyver introduced me (& my younger Brother :p) to what we basically rationaled it to at the time as 'Cartoons for Adults'. :)
Guyver was quickly followed up with both of the Battle Angel: Alita (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZImWfSmESs0) OVAs, one of the Devil Man (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSE4fvQiSKU) OVAs as well as the original Appleseed (http://youtu.be/dkxvaSihxHI?t=1m32s) OVA, it has been a long road since these but allow me to share with you some of my favourite Animes:

Ghost in The Shell (http://youtu.be/ZAK2PVKio0g)
Ninja Scroll (http://youtu.be/rQ4-uxEq4wE?t=40s)
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlL4AkStIcY)
Akira (http://youtu.be/utHYI4w9fpY)
Lupin The Third: Castle of Cagliostro (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F713p8m89Tk)
Guyver: The Bioboosted Armor (2005) (http://youtu.be/9z7OW1JTJ4M?t=8s)
Tekkaman Blade (Teknoman) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGLiU7jPq5U)
Porco Rosso (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmyrWYrvF5s)
Hellsing (TV Series) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRs-qWORKj0)

A trio of series that I've not all too long ago viewed that I thought were friggin' awesome & highly recommend are:

Black Lagoon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI-hK0bSXh0)
Darker Than Black (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRVj2e182-o)
Panty & Stocking with Garter Belt (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZbGlVqKXTM)

...and for those whom like Robots and/or even Super Robots! - I've recently partaken in a Mecha Madness Marathon, which contained the following BOTastic Animes:

Giant Robo (90s OVA Series) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5mWD3TfRnI)
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUQi8IovrxE)
Aquarion
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbVfgyiDL_Y)(*NOTE: Actually seen prior to marathon ;))

The King of Braves: GaoGaiGar (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0iruX8rG54)
Aim for The Top!: Gunbuster (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbcWxwBtmdE)
Marriage of God & Soul: Godannar (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxqsmH2EmmA)
New/Shin Getter Robo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE7D6nAGOqE)
Patlabor OVA 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSj7wCe7ejA)
Patlabor OVA 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdo6T_bpYKo)
Aim for The Top!: Diebuster (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOWsCHY9Kjk)
Furi Curi/Fooly Cooly (FLCL) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tYLzFxoW2Y)
Shin Getter vs. Neo Getter OVAs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg1U-oJk8Zs)
Change! Getter Robo (Armageddon) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv2XnGZhezU)
Shin Mazinger Shougeki Z-Hen (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grK1I_6k_b8)
Mazinkaiser SKL (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5o0KaXDlzY)

(*NOTE: The Above seen as part of Marathon :D)

I've neglected to mention DragonballZ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vj7pDVnniWs) until this point namely because I feel that it is a series that everyone should see in one form or another because as with many others I saw the series via CheezeTV (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djtoaVVxtm8) & is the reason for being late to SO many classes during High School :p, but a couple of other shows that I've seen bits of that I want to actually checkout properly at some point are Cowboy Bebop (http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnbKF_uosrA) & the Super Robot Wars OVAs (+ the 2 series). :)

At present though, I'm currently going back through and watching Ghost in The Shell: Stand Alone Complex (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY6PNTzQb1A) & Ghost in The Shell: Stand Alone Complex - 2nd GIG (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmudt_M9Sn0) as well as Ghost in The Shell: Stand Alone Complex - Solid State Society (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdrFYNCwekY); as when my youngest Brother & I watched each series the 1st time, we had procured some 'digitally relocated' copies of the episodes and were playing them on a DVD Player that for some utterly perplexing reason decided t play them in an order that I've still not been able to rationalise or replicate... :mad:

So now I'm watching them in Proper Chronological Order, I've very recently completed GITS:SAC after having acquired the US Boxset (To my door, literally half the price of the Australian Release :rolleyes:) so having this arrive yesterday:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BFr9OyhCAAAI-Te.jpg:large

...and with GITS:SAC-SSS on its way from Madman Entertainment's warehouse, along with Ghost in The Shell: Arise (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb1c-T-ox-E) due later this year/early next year! :eek:, I pretty confident in saying that Ghost in The Shell is my defining favourite Anime series. :D:cool:
(Extremely closely followed by Guyver ;))

1AZRAEL1
20th March 2013, 04:50 AM
Appleseed, great film. Second one was ok but i felt not as good. Now you make me wanna watch it again lol.

I have to post what i got when i get home from work, but i really enjoyed Fist of the North Star series. I gotta find the rest. And Vampire Hunter D was good but i really liked Bloodlust better. Only thing was the book was quite different to that movie, alot darker and badass.

Kazza
20th March 2013, 06:14 AM
The movie Ninja Scroll was brilliant.

liegeprime
20th March 2013, 08:19 AM
The movie Ninja Scroll was brilliant.

True, first time I saw it was when I was on a bus trip back home in Philippines. They show free movies coz the trip is 3 hours long :p. I thought this is an interesting albeit really violent and graphic anime to show on a bus hehehe.

I saw a comic adaptation of this as well but didn't feel I needed to buy it, it kinda picks off where the movie ends a few months or years after the events in the movie.

Also nice Wicked city, prolly as graphic but Ninja Scroll feels better.

In the same way I first saw Spirited Away - a bus trip from the city to my hometown :D

GoktimusPrime
20th March 2013, 10:08 AM
The Western version of Ninja Scroll is cut (even if subtitled). I've seen the uncut version of Ninja Scroll in raw Japanese and it has extra bits that are deleted in the Western version (probably for censorship reasons). So yeah, if you wanna see it uncut, try and watch the raw version. I think I might still have a copy on VHS somewhere... (problem is I don't have a working NTSC VHS player anymore :p) I've got boxes of anime on NTSC VHS that I really need to transfer to DVD (including several Transformers series that hasn't been released here on DVD).

Damn... everytime I think of Ninja Scroll I wanna eat Onigiri. :p (likewise sometimes when I eat Onigiri I imagine that I'm Jubei :p)

I had a girlfriend who was from Kansai, and she once complained to me about how anime always mocks Kansaiben/Osakaben... i.e. every character who speaks these dialects are portrayed as fools. I just laughed out loud. ;) It even occasionally happens in Transformers! Classic example being Car Robot's Gusshar (RiD Slapper).

Dkaris
20th March 2013, 09:33 PM
omg... Evangelion was so difficult to understand! I first watched it in raw Japanese -- no translation. I remember even watching it with native Japanese speakers... they found it hard to understand too. That would not have been an easy series to translate!

+1. The new Macross series are visually more consistent, but the original's story is better (the TV series moreso than the movie). Although learning about the reasons why some of the poorer animated episodes and clip shows were done that way was interesting (RE: DVD audio commentary) ;)
Check out the 30th anniversary remake of the original Macross theme (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWzQkhLQYr8) ;) How cool would it be if they did a similar remake of the original Transformers theme for the 30th anniv.? :D

I was part of the group that fansubbed the latter episodes of Ghost In The Shell Stand Alone Complex... gguuuhhh... I was living with a Japanese girl at the time who was helping me translate, and even then it was haaaarrrd! (we had no copy of the script -- translating purely by ear!)

Akira is something that I've always visually enjoyed, but could never get into the story. I've heard that it's a compression of a really expansive manga series. But I personally find Otomo Katsuhiro's anime to be rather long winded. I felt the same about Patlabor (though their stories aren't as disconnected as Akira's).

Anyone else here seen the live action Space Battleship Yamato (re: Star Blazers) movie? ;)
Star Blazers intro (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItKC89IVEJc)
New Space Battleship Yamato opening (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG56x47i1Ng)
live action movie trailer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3-x4HQAq9g)
...yes, that's Nishida "Pigsy" (from Monkey) Toshiyuki as the ship's chief engineer. ;)

The first time I watched Evangelion, and I still remember it so clearly was with my step brother in the late 90s or early 2000's. It was on SBS on a friday or saturday night and i didnt want to watch it, but my step brother sat me down and said " watch it, you'll never looks at regular cartoons the same way again" And I havent. I remember after I watched that first episode I didn't quite understand what I had just watched, but i knew it was awesome and I knew he was right.

That Macross opening is pretty killer. I wish they'd remake the original series, I think it would be even greater with todays animation. I'll be honest I think Akira is very over rated, its a good anime, but I don't think it deserves all the hype that comes with it. The only part of it I ever really enjoyed was the bike chase.

I've heard of Battleship Yamato, I've never watched it though, I may give it a look over the weekend. I recently watched Sword Art online, the first half of it was great, I didn't dig the second half though.

As someone else said, the Fate series are pretty cool. Claymore is also pretty enjoyable. Thinking back to those old SBS anime nights I also watched Castle of Cagliostro and Porcco Rosso which were both pretty neat =]

GoktimusPrime
20th March 2013, 10:09 PM
I'll be honest I think Akira is very over rated, its a good anime, but I don't think it deserves all the hype that comes with it. The only part of it I ever really enjoyed was the bike chase.
Akira gets a lot of hype because it was the anime that went mainstream in the West and catapulted the anime craze in Western countries. I remember seeing adverts for cinema screenings for Akira in 1988... I wanted to go see it, but I was far too young so my parents wouldn't let me. I later watched Akira in 1991 on VHS and was blown away.

But yeah... Akira is popular because it was the "first" as far as most Westerners were concerned. It 'broke the ice' so to speak. A lot of people loved it at the time cos they hadn't seen much better... it was the best that they'd ever seen. Of course, since Westerners have been exposed to a lot more anime, we can look back and see that Akira wasn't that good.

Akira is to anime what Bruce Lee is to martial arts. ;) (or Bumblebee to Transformers? :p)

Magnus
20th March 2013, 10:18 PM
The first time I watched Evangelion, and I still remember it so clearly was with my step brother in the late 90s or early 2000's. It was on SBS on a friday or saturday night and i didnt want to watch it, but my step brother sat me down and said " watch it, you'll never looks at regular cartoons the same way again" And I havent. I remember after I watched that first episode I didn't quite understand what I had just watched, but i knew it was awesome and I knew he was right.

I spent a lot of brainpower trying to figure this show out when I first saw it...

I saw it on SBS as well (Saturday night, IIRC), and although I had seen snippets of episodes 2 and 4 (they had showed two episodes back-to-back, so I never saw eps 1 and 3), but I took notice after eps 5 and 6, and by 7 and 8 I knew this was worth following.

For Eva fans, this (http://www.madman.com.au/news/evangelion-art-exhibition-tour-coming-in-2013/) will be worth keeping an eye out for.

Just off the top of my head, some of the other stuff I've seen:

Gunsmith Cats - the first anime I saw after Evangelion. This one really 'sealed the deal' for me as far as anime was concerned.

Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 - also on SBS.

Burn Up! W - Not particularly deep or sophisticated, but still kind of fun.

Martian Successor Nadesico - I'd probably appreciate the parody of other anime more if I'd seen them, but still enjoyable in its own right.

Excel Saga - Random, hilarious.

Full Metal Panic!/Panic? Fumoffu - The first season was ok, but I really liked Fumoffu.

Noir - a good show, and it's realistic (by anime standards, anyway). I recommend it, but be aware that the first half is pretty slow and repetitive.

Madlax - Similar premise to Noir (the same studio), but with a twist. Nice animation, but very slow to get moving.

Azumanga Daioh - I kept reading about this one, and watched it to see what the fuss was about. Pretty funny and enjoyable.

Cromartie High School - Random, hilarious.

Tetsuwan Convoy
20th March 2013, 10:55 PM
I've heard of Battleship Yamato, I've never watched it though, I may give it a look over the weekend.
I prefer the Starblazers (english dub)story to Yamato. It is editted a bit differently to focus more on the characters whereas Yamato is on the Space ship itself. Plus the voice work is more entertaining. Desslar, the leader of teh bad guys is generic-old-Japanese-man-voice, but in the English version he has this crazy high pitched English accent going on. Adds a lot more character to him. The live action movie isn't bad either and the ship now looks fantastic! Especially when they use the hadou-hou (wave motion gun). But it does compress the series quite a bit.

What I liked about Yamato though was that the guy looking after the engine of the ship was named Tokugawa. And Yamato was (is?) the 'central race' of Japan. Tokugawa was also the Shogun of Japan (i.e unofficial king of sorts) during the years of isolation and is generally considered the guy who brought the warring states of Japan together into one country. So Tokugawa drives the engines of Japan. </end history lesson>

I remember Battle Angel Alita! i thought that was a great anime!

Also in regards to Akira, at the time (iirc), it was the most expensive film ever made in Japan. Probably now exceeded

Gouki
21st March 2013, 06:48 AM
I always forget just how hard to watch Angel Beats! episode 9 is.;_;

GoktimusPrime
22nd March 2013, 09:39 PM
And Yamato was (is?) the 'central race' of Japan.
The Yamato are the dominant ethnic group in Japan. When people think of Japanese people, they usually think of the Yamato. During WWII Japanese soldiers and people often shouted, 大和魂、天皇陛下万歳!("Yamato-damashii, Tennou-heika Banzai!": "By the Yamato spirit, long live the the Emperor, the heavenly sovereign"). "Yamato-damashii" is often translated as "Japanese" spirit. This expression is considered somewhat distasteful by most Japanese people today, as it's widely associated with the ultra nationalism in wartime Japan (somewhat similar to how "Sieg Heil!" is frowned upon by most Germans today).

But while the Yamato are the predominant ethnic group in Japan (they certainly have political supremacy), not all Japanese people are Yamato. Other ethnic groups include:
+ Indigenous races, e.g. Ainu/Utari, Yezo, Emishi etc. In the anime movie "Princess Mononoke" the protagonist Ashitaka is an Emishi. He leaves his village and encounters the Yamato (as well as gods/spirits ;)).
+ Ryukyuans - indigenous peoples of Okinawa and Kagoshima. Their traditional culture is actually more heavily influenced by the Chinese than Japanese. For a long time Okinawa was a tributary state to China during the Qing Dynasty. Okinawa didn't fall under Japanese sovereignty until 1609 when it was conquered by the Shimazu samurai clan. Japan lost Okinawa which was taken over by the Americans after WWII, and then returned to Japan in 1972.

Here are some photos I took from last year's Matsuri in Sydney...
Examples of Japanese costumes - these are Yukata (light cotton kimono)...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Matsuri/matsuri_syd_2012_12_15_074_zpsf6318b04.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Matsuri/matsuri_syd_2012_12_15_057_zps6cece6a7.jpg

And here's a performance by some Ryukyuan/Okinawans... their clothing style, colours (re: abundant use of red) and instruments (and movements) have a more Chinese influence (yet distinctly Ryukyuan) compared to their Yamato counterparts.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Matsuri/matsuri_syd_2012_12_15_029_zps3aaa271b.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Matsuri/matsuri_syd_2012_12_15_028_zpsf3ab05c5.jpg

Oh... and here's a picture of some little kids in Yukatas. ;)
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Matsuri/matsuri_syd_2012_12_15_055_zps1179afaa.jpg
(the one in red is my daughter :D)

-------------------------------------------------------

In other news, I picked this up from JB Hi-Fi today! :)
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/rurounkenshinjishaeiga_zps24aa7c48.jpg

GoktimusPrime
30th March 2013, 11:20 PM
Has anyone managed to check out the live action Ranma 1/2 yet? If so -- thoughts?
I saw the DVD at an Asian store... most likely unlicensed (and most likely with "Engrish" subtitles :rolleyes:). I wonder if Madman will release a legit version.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/30/Ranma_Drama_Poster.jpg

Kazza
31st March 2013, 12:23 AM
Has anyone managed to check out the live action Ranma 1/2 yet? If so -- thoughts?
I saw the DVD at an Asian store... most likely unlicensed (and most likely with "Engrish" subtitles :rolleyes:). I wonder if Madman will release a legit version.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/30/Ranma_Drama_Poster.jpg

Oh that was the first anime i ever watched as a kid, all the seasons as well. It was a pretty whacky and pervy based anime.:p;) As for the live action, no i havent seen that. Wasnt aware there was one at all. The only live action anime movies that i have enjoyed were the GTO ones.

lancalot
31st March 2013, 02:41 AM
Oh that was the first anime i ever watched as a kid, all the seasons as well. It was a pretty whacky and pervy based anime.:p;) As for the live action, no i havent seen that. Wasnt aware there was one at all. The only live action anime movies that i have enjoyed were the GTO ones.

GTO -as in great teacher O.?.. man didn't know that was live action as well.... have to sauce both of the film out and watch them.. I wonder how Rama would be like in live action....:rolleyes:

Kazza
31st March 2013, 11:01 AM
GTO -as in great teacher O.?.. man didn't know that was live action as well.... have to sauce both of the film out and watch them.. I wonder how Rama would be like in live action....:rolleyes:

Yup, there was 2 live action movies for great teacher onizuka, both very enjoyable.

GoktimusPrime
31st March 2013, 11:21 AM
I've only seen the live action TV series of GTO. Didn't know there were moofies. :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i32muy0pmSU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXFknKO6adU

The thing that looks weird to me, judging from these brief clips, is that each time a character is hit with water and transforms they're left bone dry! :eek: This is quite different from the manga/anime where the characters, as expected, absolutely saturated after transformation! It seems as if, in the live action, the magic somehow also automatically dries them (and their clothes) as soon as their hit by water! Which makes me wonder how any of the affected characters can bathe if their bodies are constantly repelling water molecules!

I love the dude that they've cast as Tendou Soun... he looks suitably perverted. ;) :D

Kazza
31st March 2013, 12:50 PM
I've only seen the live action TV series of GTO. Didn't know there were moofies. :o

Actually your probably right there Gok, probably was a tv series oppose to movie, been a while since i've seen it.

Kazza
1st April 2013, 10:17 PM
Spontaneously thought about Samurai Deeper Kyo, which i really enjoyed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samurai_Deeper_Kyo

i_amtrunks
1st April 2013, 11:25 PM
Just waiting for Battle of Gods, the first DBZ movie in 17 years. Only just came out in Japanese cinemas. Might be a year or more before we see it released here... Bugger.

Kazza
1st April 2013, 11:57 PM
I'm seeking a raw of it, don't care if i can't understand it entirely, i'm mainly watching for the awesome fight sequences.

Gouki
3rd April 2013, 11:45 AM
Just waiting for Battle of Gods, the first DBZ movie in 17 years. Only just came out in Japanese cinemas. Might be a year or more before we see it released here... Bugger.

Could be at least two years, according to Funi. Fox get it optioned to them first, and then if they decide to pass on it, it'll be (assumedly) offered to Funimation.

Tetsuwan Convoy
3rd April 2013, 01:12 PM
Could be at least two years, according to Funi. Fox get it optioned to them first, and then if they decide to pass on it, it'll be (assumedly) offered to Funimation.

Ha ha ha! And they wonder why people Pirate stuff all the time:rolleyes:

GoktimusPrime
3rd April 2013, 04:15 PM
Ha ha ha! And they wonder why people Pirate stuff all the time:rolleyes:
I don't.

Tetsuwan Convoy
3rd April 2013, 05:53 PM
I don't.

you are in a way, through Youtube.

Ploughmans Lunch
3rd April 2013, 07:51 PM
I don't.

Have one of these.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/26/Army-Good-Conduct-Medal-Rev.png

valkyrie_76
3rd April 2013, 09:07 PM
I dont download anime............I just like to know what its like before I buy it from Madman :D

You know.............try before you buy :D:D:D

GoktimusPrime
3rd April 2013, 09:54 PM
you are in a way, through Youtube.
I rarely even do that, but I take your point. Having said that, I only watch stuff online that isn't available in Australia -- so it's arguably a legal grey area. i.e. it's difficult for the copyright holder to argue that I should be purchasing a legal copy instead of watching an illegitimate copy when a legitimate copy doesn't even exist in my region. Take Transformers Animated Season 3 for example. I would LOVE to be able to own this on legitimate DVD. Love it. It urinates me away to no end that it's never been released... but if they ever did, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. With Transformers Prime, I watch the eps first on YouTube or other means... then as soon as the DVDs are available for sale, I buy them and scrub my old copies (the DVDs are so much better quality anyway, plus you get bonus features :D).

In order to claim copyright infringement, one needs to demonstrate commercial loss and/or predation of copyright statute. If I were to download or view a film that was already commercially available in Australia, and especially if I were to distribute and/or sell copies of that film, then there's a pretty strong case that I'd be committing piracy. But I don't do that. I obtain titles that aren't available in Australia for personal/private viewing, and when the title becomes available I delete and purchase. Thus the copyright holder cannot argue that I have caused them any commercial loss because I'm giving them my money when they make the title available.

As Valks said, it's like "try before you buy." By purchasing the DVDs, I ultimately pay for the product that I use. My money goes toward paying the artists and other people who helped make and distribute the title. This is different from say watching something without paying for it, and even when it does still become commercially available, still not buying it. Because then you've still accessed that product, but haven't paid for doing so.

Tetsuwan Convoy
3rd April 2013, 11:44 PM
I rarely even do that, but I take your point. Having said that, I only watch stuff online that isn't available in Australia -- so it's arguably a legal grey area. i.e. it's difficult for the copyright holder to argue that I should be purchasing a legal copy instead of watching an illegitimate copy when a legitimate copy doesn't even exist in my region...
Yeah, most people are like that I suspect.

Most of the shows I watch through dodgy means are Japanese shows that are very rarely likely to get a local release.

jazzcomp
4th April 2013, 01:47 PM
Is any cartoon made by japanese considered anime?

Tetsuwan Convoy
4th April 2013, 02:31 PM

I'd say so, although personally when I think of anime I think of a particular art style more than anything else. So in a way, any cartoon made by Japanese may not be anime.

Panty and Stocking is made in a very different way to the normal anime look. Yet I still consider it anme.

Hmmm. I just confused myself.:p

GoktimusPrime
4th April 2013, 03:35 PM
Yeah, most people are like that I suspect.
Most adults I know are like that... teenagers... hmm... our school recently started an anime club, and I'm seriously thinking about joining one of their meetings and giving them a talk about fan ethics.

Most of the shows I watch through dodgy means are Japanese shows that are very rarely likely to get a local release.
Yeah same here. :) I asked Madman if they're planning on releasing live action Ranma 1/2 or not, they said that they can't comment as they haven't obtained the rights to it. I'd collect more DVDs directly from Japan if their prices weren't typically so eye gaugingly high! :rolleyes: (even a lot of my mates in Japan complain about the prices of DVDs in Japan, or come to Australia and are amazed at how cheap our prices are).

In English, yes. In Japanese, no. The word "anime" in Japanese just refers to any kind of animation/cartoon, regardless of origin. If you specifically want to refer to Japanese animation in Japanese you'd say "Nihon anime."

jazzcomp
4th April 2013, 04:24 PM
I'd say so, although personally when I think of anime I think of a particular art style more than anything else. So in a way, any cartoon made by Japanese may not be anime.

Panty and Stocking is made in a very different way to the normal anime look. Yet I still consider it anme.

Hmmm. I just confused myself.:p

In English, yes. In Japanese, no. The word "anime" in Japanese just refers to any kind of animation/cartoon, regardless of origin. If you specifically want to refer to Japanese animation in Japanese you'd say "Nihon anime."

Thanks! Just watched the X-men and Blade and they were japanese made and a bit different than the american version at least for X-men.

Magnus
8th April 2013, 09:33 PM
Details on the upcoming Evangelion art exhibition tour. (http://www.madman.com.au/eva/)

lancalot
15th May 2013, 10:23 PM
Details on the upcoming Evangelion art exhibition tour. (http://www.madman.com.au/eva/)

Did anyone go to this yet?...is it any good?..worth going?
Also i just watched Evangelion 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo ....wtf was going on?:confused::confused:
I got the first two and they were great....loved the 2.0 ....but just watched 3.0 and didn't know what the hell going on... the subtitle pretty bad..:( like the ending movies again!

GoktimusPrime
15th May 2013, 10:43 PM
I haven't had time this week... :/

Bartrim
15th May 2013, 11:00 PM
Last night I finally watched Interstella 5555. I don't know why I didn't do it sooner. I was so blown way by it.:)

Dkaris
19th May 2013, 12:26 AM
Also i just watched Evangelion 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo ....wtf was going on?:confused::confused:
I got the first two and they were great....loved the 2.0 ....but just watched 3.0 and didn't know what the hell going on... the subtitle pretty bad..:( like the ending movies again!

I went last week, it was cool, if you have the Groundwork of Evanglion books, or the completed works 1.0 or 2.0 then you wont see anything new, it was mostly all original drawings and sketches of scenes from the anime with a final product below each drawing. There was artwork from both 1.0 and 2.0 but none from 3.0. They had merch on sale but it was waaaaaaaaaaaaay expensive. like $40 for a drink bottle and $100 for a hoodie. It was great that Aus got something l like this, i just wish they did a screening of 3.0 even if it did leave a bad taste in my mouth....

lancalot
19th May 2013, 05:17 PM
I went last week, it was cool, if you have the Groundwork of Evanglion books, or the completed works 1.0 or 2.0 then you wont see anything new, it was mostly all original drawings and sketches of scenes from the anime with a final product below each drawing. There was artwork from both 1.0 and 2.0 but none from 3.0. They had merch on sale but it was waaaaaaaaaaaaay expensive. like $40 for a drink bottle and $100 for a hoodie. It was great that Aus got something l like this, i just wish they did a screening of 3.0 even if it did leave a bad taste in my mouth....

$40 for a drink bottle!! :eek:ahahaha what the hell in it?.. i might try and drop by this week to check it out.... totally agree ... it great that aus getting things like this here...

Tetsuwan Convoy
21st May 2013, 09:00 PM
$40 for a drink bottle!! :eek:ahahaha what the hell in it?.. i might try and drop by this week to check it out.... totally agree ... it great that aus getting things like this here...

You don't wanna know whats in it...;)

I just started watching Shingeki no kyoujin. Very nice little (or big actually) anime. Although the first bunch of eps seem to take forever to get to the action. They successfully build suspense.

Jay-Tron
21st May 2013, 09:28 PM

Big fan of Evangelion here :D I've got the first two rebuild DVD's but I don't plan on watching them until I've got all four DVD's. I want to watch the whole thing in one go or over a couple of nights.

I'm going to do my best to not learn too much about rebuild until I watch the whole thing... I've heard a couple of things about 3.0 but luckily no one's too sure what's going in it so I'm safe from spoilers... for now :p

lancalot
22nd May 2013, 01:30 AM
Big fan of Evangelion here :D I've got the first two rebuild DVD's but I don't plan on watching them until I've got all four DVD's. I want to watch the whole thing in one go or over a couple of nights.

I'm going to do my best to not learn too much about rebuild until I watch the whole thing... I've heard a couple of things about 3.0 but luckily no one's too sure what's going in it so I'm safe from spoilers... for now :p

Man your patient ... don't think 4 going to be release until next year?....

Just finished watching Accel World ...it got annoying in someparts but overall i really enjoyed it ..the concept of the story was great..
Also finished watching Guilty Crown ... that was just ok ...the thing that killed it was the main story line was stupid....

On another note ...TRON -uprising !!! Now that the best! one of my all time great series ...heard that they not going to continue it for next season ...:mad:

Also the new ninja turtle is quite up there ....love everything about it except the bad guys.... i was expected Bebop and Rocksteady to make an appearance but no... instead we get a fish with robot legs :confused: wtf!

Dkaris
24th May 2013, 11:01 AM
Big fan of Evangelion here :D I've got the first two rebuild DVD's but I don't plan on watching them until I've got all four DVD's.

Do that and your head will explode from complete and utter confusion

GoktimusPrime
28th May 2013, 11:19 PM
I just found out that this exists:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ly1hQrGlaoU
^2012 remake of The Mysterious Cities of Gold!

The Mysterious Cities of Gold (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w_zn3uRwPU) was originally a French produced and Japanese animated series, as well as Inspector Gadget (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54R17I_nGQw) and Ulysses 31 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxlNw-vz7l8). I haven't been able to find any of these series on DVD or BR in their original French language format w/ English subtitles. Anyone know if the 2012 Cities of Gold is available w/ English subs?

--------------------------------------------------------------
*The original Inspector Gadget theme is the only song that I can sing in French. ;)

Tetsuwan Convoy
29th May 2013, 12:45 AM
I am sure that terry torrent will supply what you need. Or even check out amazon uk. Sbs might even bust out the goods. I really wanted to see asterix at the olympics and lo sbs did provide

Jay-Tron
4th June 2013, 12:17 PM
Do that and your head will explode from complete and utter confusion

That's what I'm hoping :D I need something that's gonna produce a good mind trip.

That Cities of Gold cartoon I used to watch on ABC as a kid, back in the 80's I think. Always found it fasinating. I don't remember much of it, but I can still remember the bit where they find the Olmecs in cryogenic hibernation... and some other bits involving a lot of gold, probably a city :p

GoktimusPrime
4th June 2013, 01:37 PM
All the DVDs I've seen of Ulysses 31 and Mysterious Cities of Gold have been dub only, and I want to find them in their original French audio w/ English subs. I wish they'd put both options into the DVD... isn't that the whole point of having Digital Versatile Discs??

GoktimusPrime
29th July 2013, 11:49 PM
Rurouni Kenshin has been green lighted for 2 sequels to make a trilogy! :eek: :D
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-06-29/rurouni-kenshin-gets-2-new-live-action-kyoto-arc-films

As the article states, the second film will be an adaptation of the Kyoto Arc, which makes sense considering that the first film was a condensed version of the Tokyo Arc. I'm guessing then that the third movie will be based on the Jinchuu Arc. If so, then I hope that they base that more on the manga rather than the anime, because I really didn't like how that arc ended in the anime (re: Kenshin dying with his son being a douchebag :rolleyes:).

GoktimusPrime
11th January 2014, 05:51 PM
I watched some Robot Girls Z today. Basically a story about some cute girls who can "transform" into powered up girls based on Toei (same animation studio who animated G1) robots, such as Mazinger Z (aka Tranzor Z), Great Mazinger, Grendizer, Kotetsu Zeeg, Getter Robo, Gaiking etc. etc. Fans of 70s Super Robot series should get a kick out of the loads of fan references (and shameless silliness) :D ;)

Hursticon
11th January 2014, 06:31 PM
I watched some Robot Girls Z today. Basically a story about some cute girls who can "transform" into powered up girls based on Toei (same animation studio who animated G1) robots, such as Mazinger Z (aka Tranzor Z), Great Mazinger, Grendizer, Kotetsu Zeeg, Getter Robo, Gaiking etc. etc. Fans of 70s Super Robot series should get a kick out of the loads of fan references (and shameless silliness) :D ;)

Hmm... Might have to suss that one out Goki. :)

I've currently just finished watching "Occult Academy (http://youtu.be/6GlvIM7tVN4)" and have since moved onto "Kill la Kill (http://youtu.be/-ClQ7zkHtXY)" & "Beyond The Boundary (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnfeVrAAS2k)" myself. :cool:

Crunchyroll is proving a handy source for new Anime, unfortunately however, it would seem that the industry is heavily focused on High School-related series at the moment. :rolleyes:

lancalot
12th January 2014, 02:18 AM
been watching gundam build fighter , and im really enjoying this .... its aim straight at selling the toys but the story is really good ...it a good change from the endless retelling of the same gundam story!

GoktimusPrime
12th January 2014, 09:27 AM
I stopped paying attention to Gundam after they broke away from the original UC continuity. (-_-) Tomino Yoshiyuki is known for actually hating the toys^models; apparently one of his pet peeves are Gundam fans who are more fans of the mecha than the people (i.e. actual characters). It's like Star Wars or Star Trek fans who are more fans of the vehicles and spaceships than the actual characters and stories. Of course with Transformers, the robots are the characters. :D

Lint
12th January 2014, 10:00 AM
It's like Star Wars or Star Trek fans who are more fans of the vehicles and spaceships than the actual characters and stories. Of course with Transformers, the robots are the characters. :D

But the purpose of Gundam is to sell gundam models. The characters, especially post UC, have mostly been copies of UC-archetypes or simply 2 dimensional in general.

The purpose of Star Trek is not to sell models of the Enterprise, but more to sell DVD's (media).

The exact purpose of Star Wars is to sell EVERYTHING. They are killing it with sales of 'media', 'characters figures' and 'spaceship toys', A shining example of sci-fi merchandising done right.

I still remember a time when Star Wars was that 'thing' only people's older brothers were really into, now its a franchise powerhouse

SMHFConvoy
12th January 2014, 10:20 AM
I just found out that this exists:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ly1hQrGlaoU
^2012 remake of The Mysterious Cities of Gold!

The Mysterious Cities of Gold (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w_zn3uRwPU)

You know that's actually a continuation from where the original left off and not a remake?

GoktimusPrime
12th January 2014, 11:48 AM
But the purpose of Gundam is to sell gundam models.
The story came first though; the models came out about a year after the anime series. From what I've read, Tomino Yoshiyuki sees the franchise as being "story-first." Admittedly I'm not a Gundam fan, so my knowledge in this field is incredibly limited. :o

The characters, especially post UC, have mostly been copies of UC-archetypes or simply 2 dimensional in general.
^'Zactly why I stopped following Gundam after they departed from UC continuity.

The purpose of Star Trek is not to sell models of the Enterprise, but more to sell DVD's (media).

The exact purpose of Star Wars is to sell EVERYTHING. They are killing it with sales of 'media', 'characters figures' and 'spaceship toys', A shining example of sci-fi merchandising done right.

I still remember a time when Star Wars was that 'thing' only people's older brothers were really into, now its a franchise powerhouse
Spaceballs the FLAMETHROWER! :D

You know that's actually a continuation from where the original left off and not a remake?
OooOOooOhhhHHhhHhhh lala! I really hope it'll get released in French w/ English subs. I'd really like to get the original series subbed too (ditto Ulysses 31). But as far as I can tell, it seems that we're more likely to get things dubbed. :( See... I think the subs vs dubs debate was more relevant back in the days of VHS because titles could either be released dubbed or subbed, not both. But DVD and BR are versatile formats which allow the audio and subtitle tracks to be changed (and unlike LaserDisc, without necessary loss of quality, e.g. you might have one language on the digital track and another language on the audio track, but not both on the same track (e.g. both on digital) -- and you certainly couldn't switch the subs on and off). I don't know why Western anime companies are taking advantage of this technology more. I often pass up on certain anime titles because they're dub only... and w/ the exception of Beast Machines and Animated, most of my Transformers DVDs have no subtitle option (which makes it inaccessible for the hearing impaired, and I have come across at least two deaf TF enthusiasts).

christalcase
26th May 2014, 10:03 PM
With the new game Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment coming out in July, I figured I should familiar myself with the universe first before playing it. I watched the first season of Sword Art Online, it got straight into story and I liked the idea. While it did slow down and became slightly boring in the middle it was fantastic when the first story arc ended and it carried the momentum throughout the second story arc. When they fought the floor boss and broke out of the virtual reality game in Episode 13/14, it hooked me and now I can't stop thinking about it!

Excited with the upcoming second season and I've even gotten the English translations of the light novel to read... :D

BigTransformerTrev
28th November 2014, 07:04 PM
Watching Queens Blade - not bad at all :D

CBratron
28th November 2014, 07:38 PM
I didn't realise/remember a topic like this existed.

I don't have the patience to wait for weekly episodes so instead, watch my TV in seasonal blocks. I'm catching up with last season's stuff, namely Psycho-Pass, Knights of Sidonia, Tokyo ESP and Tokyo Ghoul.

Kazza
29th November 2014, 06:26 PM
I didn't realise/remember a topic like this existed.

I don't have the patience to wait for weekly episodes so instead, watch my TV in seasonal blocks. I'm catching up with last season's stuff, namely Psycho-Pass, Knights of Sidonia, Tokyo ESP and Tokyo Ghoul.

I too have watched Psycho-Pass and quite enjoyed it. The latest anime I've watched is Steins;Gate... EVERYONE GET ON THIS! It is literally Back to the Future but in anime form.

TAAUBlaster
29th November 2014, 06:53 PM
i've been hanging out for the new Sword Art Online to finish up. Like CBratron, I don't have the patience to watch episodes week to week :p

Log Horizon is another I've been keeping an eye on. I didn't mind the first season, but it got too political toward the end I think.

I've been watching a few series on Madman's Animelab recently. "Devil Is a Partimer" and "Nanana's Secret Treasure." Devil is a Partimer was pretty good I thought.

lancalot
29th November 2014, 08:34 PM
I too have watched Psycho-Pass and quite enjoyed it. The latest anime I've watched is Steins;Gate... EVERYONE GET ON THIS! It is literally Back to the Future but in anime form.

i totally agree both of these movie were great ... Steins gate start abit slow but it get good .... i just finish watching Last exile season 1 and 2(fam the silver wing ) Both epic great story!
and one that surprised me much was Arpeggio of Blue Steel Ars_Nova.... i wasn't expecting much from it but it turn out amazing .
The most disappointed one was Ghost in a shell Arise....the first Epi seem promising and then it went downhill from there.

lancalot
29th November 2014, 08:44 PM
Watching Queens Blade - not bad at all :D

the fan services in that one is over the top sometimes... :D same with high school of the dead.... great story and i enjoy the fan service but some scene just not appropriate :p

christalcase
30th December 2014, 09:01 PM
Taking advantage of the two weeks leave I have over the Christmas I went and watched Sword Art Online II (good thing it finished by the 20th too).

GGO arc (first 14 episodes) was good, if a bit too much reminiscing and talking dragging it out a bit. Trying to find out the identity of Death Gun kept it going although there were times where it was a slog. Too bad there weren't many good fights although the final face off against Death Gun was brief but sweet.

Calibur arc (three episodes) provided a nice change of pace and also cool that it goes back to the fantasy roots.

Mother's Rosario arc (last seven episodes) was so sad! The ending was emotional and it rivals the sadness with Sachi's story in the first season. The fight between Asuna and Zekken was the best fight scene in the whole season.

Fingers cross that we don't have to wait another two years for the third season.

Gutsman Heavy
31st December 2014, 02:31 PM
Everyone has probably seen it, but Watamote is a must watch. At only 12 eps its an easy commitment!

Watching Eyeshield 21, its shonen jump sports trash but I couldn't say no to a NFL Anime. And Parasyte the Maxim is pretty good too.

TAAUBlaster
31st December 2014, 05:48 PM
Marathoning SAO II yesterday and today. Enjoying it so far. Waiting for Log Horizon 2 to finish so I can hit it as well ;)

I recently watched an anime series called "Barakamon" which was really enjoyable. It seems to be one of those gems that flew way under the radar, and didn't really get any coverage or reviews. But I found it to be a really good series.

lancalot
8th January 2015, 02:51 AM
SAO2 was great and so sad in the end but i guessed it from the start....

Just watching Space Battleship Yamato 2199 and i got to say it an Epic adventure series ! it remind me alot like star trek voyager and it a nice change from the cute harem stories but it does have a love triangle going on :rolleyes: .
Also Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet to be great as well , well worth the watch

BigTransformerTrev
8th January 2015, 10:25 AM
the fan services in that one is over the top sometimes... :D same with high school of the dead.... great story and i enjoy the fan service but some scene just not appropriate :p

Yeah I liked High School of the dead - anything with Zombies! :D

Queens Blade is good but I can only watch 2 or 3 episodes at a time - then you feel like you are on animated T&A overload and need some good old fashioned violence :p

Defcon
12th January 2015, 03:01 PM
Just recently, apparently "Scarlett Johanson", the actress who plays "Black Widow" from the Avengers, is to be cast as "Motoko" in the live movie Ghost in the Shell. Here is a link, with some backlash.
http://herocomplex.latimes.com/movies/ghost-in-the-shell-scarlett-johansson-casting-a-blow-to-diversity/

Personally I think its a bad choice with a combination of some good and bad reasons.
I'm a big fan of the character and the anime series, and I feel like someone has punched me in the gut after reading this news :(
Scarlett is a big name, and is well known as black widow from Avengers. So she will be bankable and will draw in the crowds. As Motoko, I'm afraid she would look like a copy, a reason I would prefer someone less known and who isn't immediately as recognized as black widow.
Honestly I would prefer an Asian actress, especially for fan service at least. For the rest of the cast they can have a mix, but should try to respect the source material :rolleyes:

I don't suppose someone would like to start a petition to protest this decision, I know I would be willing to sign.

CBratron
12th January 2015, 04:03 PM
Unfortunately for you anybody else's name wouldn't sell a GitS movie like ScarJo's, especially to publishers or a western audience.

But this is all a moot point. Live action feature films based on anime have a long, long history of being awful.

lancalot
12th January 2015, 04:06 PM
i see the point that they trying to appeal to the western audience as most of them wouldn't know Ghost in a shell .....
this is my favour image when ever i think of GITS
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10898021_793268984089812_3329215848997859297_n.jpg ?oh=5d20fcbbe36cfc036f8fc197f792f623&oe=552D634C&__gda__=1428471696_61bc291d201757b2700760339f8f6d3 f

CBratron
12th January 2015, 04:49 PM
I envisage something more cyberspace-y.

Defcon
12th January 2015, 05:34 PM
Unfortunately for you anybody else's name wouldn't sell a GitS movie like ScarJo's, especially to publishers or a western audience.

But this is all a moot point. Live action feature films based on anime have a long, long history of being awful.

I certainly hopes she sells the movie. Because obviously that's one of the big reasons she has been cast. Also that its a role she is familiar with given her past roles. In saying that I still would prefer someone else. But I don't know who, and in the end wouldn't matter as the product is going to be the same no matter who they cast. The casting just makes me a little uneasy about other choices they are going to make. I'll just enjoy it for what it is.

GoktimusPrime
12th January 2015, 11:33 PM
It's hard to think of a Japanese actress who would be as bankable to Western audiences as ScarJo. I say Japanese and not just East Asian, because it's arguably just as 'bad' (or arguably worse) to case a non-Japanese East Asian actress in the role of a Japanese character. Memoirs of a Geisha copped a lot of flak because it cast Chinese actresses (Michelle Yeoh, Ziyi Zhang etc.) as Japanese women (although Ken Watanabe did publicly defend the decision, saying that talent is more important than ethnicity).

It's also really unusual for Hollywood to cast non-whites in lead roles in action films/TV series. Blade's different, because the original comic character is black. There have been a few cases of Eurasians being cast as protagonists in action stories, e.g. Dean Cain (Superman), Brandon Lee (The Crow)... but it's not a lot. :o And yeah, I cannot think of any Hollywood adaptations of anime that was good. I liked On The Edge of Tomorrow, but that was based on a Japanese novel, not manga/anime. But hey, maybe this'll buck the trend. It couldn't possibly be worse than watching Mark Hamill mutate into a giant cockroach in the live action Guyver movie. Or Michael Bay. :p

lancalot
6th February 2015, 11:20 PM
An amazing short 3d Evangelion clip ..... Evangelion another impact * watch it in HD !!

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=614031152063942&fref=nf

Trent
7th February 2015, 07:22 PM
An amazing short 3d Evangelion clip ..... Evangelion another impact * watch it in HD !!

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=614031152063942&fref=nf

Can't say I'm a fan of the Eva unit in that clip. Head looks wrong.

Pretty impressive work though.

GoktimusPrime
8th February 2015, 09:23 AM
My daughter recently watched Giovanni's Island (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giovanni%27s_Island), but dubbed in English. It was the first time that she'd ever seen an English dubbed anime. The acting was just cringeworthy (not necessarily a criticism of the voice actors... whenever I've listened to VAs talk about dub work they always describe how restrictive working in that medium is -- e.g. Gary Chalk and David Kaye's performances in Beast Wars vs. Armada)... I couldn't stand it, so I walked out on most of the film and only caught the beginning and ending scenes. Looks like an interesting story though. I'd like to see it sometime in its original language format. :)

Not keen on letting my daughter watched dubbed anime again any time soon... (-_-)

Ploughmans Lunch
30th April 2015, 02:17 PM
New Dragonball series lol.

Gutsman Heavy
30th April 2015, 05:48 PM
New Dragonball series lol.

I'm hype, currently watching DBKai Buu saga

i_amtrunks
30th April 2015, 06:41 PM
Looking forward to it far too much.

So much potential, plus it might cancel out DBGT even more than the last two movies have.

Ploughmans Lunch
30th April 2015, 10:45 PM
cancel out DBGT even more than the last two movies have.

I live in hope.

i_amtrunks
6th July 2015, 07:28 AM
Dragonball Super began last night.

It was a simple slice if life episode test really only had ever happened once before (drivers test episode). Nothing much happened but I loved it, Goku and Goten got more time dedicated to them and their personalities in this one episode than pretty much all of Dragonball Z! Goku being a Radish farmer made me chuckle, he is farming his brothers name pun, turning Raditz into a joke just like the abridged series has.

Animation was top notch, not as shiny as the recent movies and I hope it stays at this level of quality!

Next episode is Vegeta taking the Briefs family to a fun park... Looks hilarious.

Gutsman Heavy
6th July 2015, 05:29 PM

It was a simple slice if life episode test really only had ever happened once before (drivers test episode). Nothing much happened but I loved it, Goku and Goten got more time dedicated to them and their personalities in this one episode than pretty much all of Dragonball Z! Goku being a Radish farmer made me chuckle, he is farming his brothers name pun, turning Raditz into a joke just like the abridged series has.

Animation was top notch, not as shiny as the recent movies and I hope it stays at this level of quality!

Next episode is Vegeta taking the Briefs family to a fun park... Looks hilarious.

Downloading now, bless fan subbers

Firestorm
6th July 2015, 08:58 PM

Watched a (very rushed) sub version last night, and yes Slice of life describes it perfectly. it was very laid back and not a whole lot happened, at the end I wasn't really sure how I felt about it, lol
but it was nice to see all the characters again.
not liking the timeline paradoxes this creates with the two recent movies, but. oh well.
definitely looking forward to next weeks episode though for more Vegeta the family man.
also, Goku: father of the year :p letting his 9 year old son drive a tractor on a rocky cliff thing while he eats and works out.

i_amtrunks
6th August 2015, 10:57 PM
Loved resurrection of F.

So glad I'm seeing it again. Cinema was packed out! Only one guy dressed up as Goku and a few others were wearing Dragonball Z shirts.

It's a lot funnier than I was expecting, the animation was top notch, too bad about the dodgy cgi in sections.

I only had three gripes, two about "power levels" concerning Piccolo and Gohan and one about the dues ex machina.

Voice acting was top notch, they have recast Bulma perfectly and Frieza is immaculate. Chris Ayres could not have done a more perfect job at all. Every scream and line is delivered with a dripping coating of rage and conceit.

Can't wait to see it again.

Gutsman Heavy
7th August 2015, 02:18 AM
Voice acting was top notch, they have recast Bulma perfectly and Frieza is immaculate. Chris Ayres could not have done a more perfect job at all. Every scream and line is delivered with a dripping coating of rage and conceit.

That's the cast used for Kai, they did a great job on that. If I'm honest and put my nostalgia aside I'd have to say New Frieza is better than the old.

GoktimusPrime
8th January 2016, 10:54 PM
My daughter's started watching the original Super Dimensional Fortress Macross series. She finds it really bizarre whenever characters randomly say a few things in English (e.g. "Yes sir!") even though the rest of the dialogue is in Japanese.

GoktimusPrime
30th January 2016, 07:06 PM
Today my daughter was watching the 3rd and 2nd last episodes of Macross. In the former, ("Private Time") there's the scene where Misa is waiting for Hikaru on their date, and she finds a dog. When the owner calls to the dog, she's standing in front of a store marked "ADALT TOY." :eek: It's weird... I must have seen the dub version of this episode in Robotech heaps of times as a youngin'... did Harmony Gold censor it out, or did I just always miss it?

I don't own any Robotech eps anymore, but just curious if anyone here does, if they could just check that scene! I might post a screen grab later. ;)

Paulbot
30th January 2016, 07:19 PM
Apparently they didn't censor it? This screen grab is from "Robotech" by it's title

http://i.imgur.com/93tZTBs.png

GoktimusPrime
30th January 2016, 07:30 PM
Hahahahaha, thanks for the indulgence. :) That's hilarious, although having seen Robotech and Macross so many times, I've never noticed it till now (it's taken me this long to realise what the hell "adalt" means :p), so I guess the censorship wasn't really needed.

Magnus
10th February 2016, 11:01 PM
For anyone who was waiting for it, Evangelion 3.33: You Can (Not) Redo is finally available at Australian retail. I got a copy today at JB Hi-Fi.

philby
12th February 2016, 11:56 PM
i've got the robotech collection dvd set somewhere in the garage i think, i'll have to get it out soon. i had no idea for years that the 3 robotech series were completely different and unrelated, i kinda assumed it was just a western language version of the original!

for the macross experts, what's a good macross movie or series to watch? i think there is a whole bunch of em isn't there?

Ralph Wiggum
13th February 2016, 03:36 AM
Yeah I was also one of those who grew up on Robotech not knowing it was a compilation of three different shows. It was actually quite clever how they wove it together and funny just how similar people piloting mecha shows could be.

A lot of purists will scoff at the Robotech brand but in the end it was an iconic series which brought anime to the attention of many unaware people.

MEEEGGGAAATTTRRROOONNN!!!
13th February 2016, 05:13 AM
A lot of purists will scoff at the Robotech brand but in the end it was an iconic series which brought anime to the attention of many unaware people.

Exactly! And not to mention how good the music was! Even as a kid, I knew the music composed was absolutely top notch!

A couple of my favourite tunes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djK9ZXkG6lA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbdZNHG-iSE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvXTC7LeIMI

lancalot
14th February 2016, 07:55 PM
i've got the robotech collection dvd set somewhere in the garage i think, i'll have to get it out soon. i had no idea for years that the 3 robotech series were completely different and unrelated, i kinda assumed it was just a western language version of the original!

for the macross experts, what's a good macross movie or series to watch? i think there is a whole bunch of em isn't there?

yeah i love the robotech version better than the Japanese version of the show... cuase that what i watch when i was a kid :) and it was properly dubbed ... the dub version of macross was horrible !! lol

i recommend macross zero , macross plus and macross frontier ..watch the series first before the movies of frontier ....

And of cuase later around March Macross Delta will be out... the first epi preview is out , and im really looking forward to this new series .

Akky82
15th February 2016, 08:47 AM
yeah i love the robotech version better than the Japanese version of the show... cuase that what i watch when i was a kid :) and it was properly dubbed ... the dub version of macross was horrible !! lol

i recommend macross zero , macross plus and macross frontier ..watch the series first before the movies of frontier ....

And of cuase later around March Macross Delta will be out... the first epi preview is out , and im really looking forward to this new series .

I'm the same, I've watched Macross proper, as well as Mospeada (also Orguss, what a ride), but now if I rewatch I go robotech for nostalgia and also the music, I have an extensive playlist for workout, and another for general listening and both have robotech tunes in them.

As for other macross, my fav is plus, but I've watched 7 nore time through than frontier (not just because it's older), i'll wait for delta to be finished before i binge the series/season. Older anime, i watched orguss just cos, I wanted to see the origin of some weird toys my brother had growing up, then also decided to start gundam from the start (0079), but having trouble getting through it, some of the characters are just ugh... (Kai, Amuro), might give up before I move on to Zeta/ZZ.

Other than that I binged s3 of Kuroko no Basuke after giving up on food wars and log horizon, then caught up from 693 to current in one piece and tried to get back into Bleach. But just nothing grabbing me atm, might try Gate.

GoktimusPrime
22nd August 2016, 11:41 PM
As I'm sure most of you know, the 1988 anime Akira was the movie that basically launched the whole manga/anime boom in the West. This anime also accurately predicted that Tokyo would host the 2020 Olympics. Let's hope that's the only accurate prediction from that movie! :eek: Although the fact that WWIII didn't happen in 1989 is a good sign.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIgFpdix8PI

And of course the jokes have been rolling in...
http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1340600/images/o-AKIRA-JO-facebook.jpg
http://www.kirainet.com/images/2013/olimpiadastokio2020a.jpg
https://img.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeed-static/static/enhanced/webdr06/2013/9/9/15/anigif_original-6159-1378755101-2.gif

This short video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzygV2iTmeg) shows how Kaneda's famous motorcycle slide scene has been homaged across different animations (both from Japan and the US).

GoktimusPrime
18th September 2016, 09:44 PM
Ayasa performing Sailor Moon Crystal's "Moon Pride" on violin (it's the same person performing a duet)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTkYeENE_CI
You can check out her channel for more.

GoktimusPrime
21st December 2017, 11:25 AM
What if other live action anime adaptations had manga/anime-sized big eyes? ;)
https://image.ibb.co/g9PSh6/anime_liveactioneyes.jpg

Lord_Zed
21st December 2017, 11:16 PM
They have to be full CGI characters or it doesn't count, this is James Cameron we are talking about. :p

GoktimusPrime
7th April 2018, 01:45 AM
RIP Takahata Isao
http://www.indiewire.com/2018/04/isao-takahata-dead-dies-studio-ghibli-grave-of-the-fireflies-1201949581/

TAAUBlaster
9th April 2018, 06:21 PM
AnimEigo is doing another Kickstarter - this time its for Gunsmith Cats. Pretty amazing they reached their goal in just over 4 hours.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/madoverlord/gunsmith-cats-explosive-edition/description

Trent
9th April 2018, 08:07 PM
AnimEigo is doing another Kickstarter - this time its for Gunsmith Cats. Pretty amazing they reached their goal in just over 4 hours.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/madoverlord/gunsmith-cats-explosive-edition/description

Hey I had that on VHS many years ago. Picked it and Burn Up-W from a garage sale for something like $10.

TAAUBlaster
10th April 2018, 06:47 PM
Hey I had that on VHS many years ago. Picked it and Burn Up-W from a garage sale for something like $10.

Its a cool OVA series. :)

I've got high hopes for the new blu ray release as AnimEigo have done some fantastic releases recently (including the original BGC a few years ago.)

mirrorman
21st October 2018, 05:35 PM

Gunsmith Cats!

Haven't even thought of that anime for years. Always did like the intro music and that excellent 1967 Mustang Shelby 500 the main character drove.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1905/30523739217_06b881d657_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/Nvh9eP)by Michael Andrew[/url], on Flickr

mirrorman
21st October 2018, 05:41 PM

LOL - Burn Up- W was always a bit "bouncy-bouncy" .. if you get my meaning. :D

mirrorman
21st October 2018, 05:45 PM
Just gave my original anime DVD of Battle Angel Alita (Gunnm) away to someone who I hope enjoys it.

Do still have my unbuilt resin kit of her though.

Trent
21st October 2018, 08:20 PM
LOL - Burn Up- W was always a bit "bouncy-bouncy" .. if you get my meaning. :D

Yeah the animators definitely needed some lessons in the application of gravity. Even as an excitable teenager I thought it was over the top.

GoktimusPrime
26th January 2019, 11:04 AM
Gah... wanting to watch Dragonball Super Broly but all but ONE cinema in Sydney is only showing it dubbed. And the sole cinema that shows it undubbed only has ONE session a day.

FFAAAAAAARRR OOOOWWWWTT :mad:

i_amtrunks
26th January 2019, 02:13 PM
Gah... wanting to watch Dragonball Super Broly but all but ONE cinema in Sydney is only showing it dubbed. And the sole cinema that shows it undubbed only has ONE session a day.

Just do what I did, watch the dub in the cinema to support more anime released and then watch the Japanese audio version when it comes out on home release. Better than missing something that really deserves a cinema screening.

ampoldj
26th January 2019, 05:22 PM

I should check out the screening times as i prefer subtitled...ive seen the trailer dubbed in English during the Bumblebee movie.

GoktimusPrime
27th January 2019, 01:09 AM
Just do what I did, watch the dub in the cinema to support more anime released and then watch the Japanese audio version when it comes out on home release. Better than missing something that really deserves a cinema screening.
But... then I'd have to listen to the dub. About as pleasant as listening to nails running down a chalkboard. Or Baby Shark.

It was a pain in the sparse, but I went to the one cinema with the one session that was in Japanese. *sigh* Brought G1 Seawatch with me as the new voice actress for Bulma was also the voice actress for Boater in Transformers Victory. :) Although as the credits rolled I noticed that Raditz and Emperor Pilaf were voiced by Chiba Shigeru, whom I immediately recognised as the voice of Beast Wars Megatron in Japan.

Other TF voice actors in the film were...
* Horikawa Ryou as Vegeta, who also voiced Moonradar (Countdown)
* Houki Katsuhisa as Paragus, who also voiced Smokescreen in Transformers Micron Legend/Armada
* Sugita Tomokazu as Lemo, who also voiced Drift in Transformers Adventure/RID
* Morita Masakazu as Whis, who voiced Hot Shot in the Transformers Armada video game
* Yamadera Kouichi as Beerus, who voiced Bumblebee (radio) in Transformers Lost Age (AOE)
* Kirimoto Takuya as Beets, who voiced Col. Sharp in the 2007 movie
* Ginga Banjou as King Vegeta, who voiced Ultra Magnus (Scramble City), Mega Zarak (The Headmasters), Black Zarak (Masterforce), Ultra Magnus (Animated) etc.
* Watanabe Naoko as Giné, who voiced Serikawa Akira in Zone
* Otomo Ryuuzaburou as King Cold and Shen Long, who voiced Galvatron (Lost Age/AOE)
* Egawa Hisao as Moroko, who voiced Jackshot/Ligerjack in Galaxy Force/Cybertron, ROTF/DOTM Sideswipe & Stockade (TAV/RID)
* Inada Tetsu as Nappa, who voiced Vogel (Prime), Budora (Go!) and Groundpounder (TAV)
* Kusao Takeshi as Trunks, who voiced Clouder/Doubleclouder in Masterforce
* Hisamura Eiko as Mai, who voiced Ariel, Beta and Kain (G1)
* Genda Tessho as Shu who is Japanese Peter Cullen, yo (also voiced Omega Supreme)

Holy cow... so many TF voice actors in this film! :eek:

I should check out the screening times as i prefer subtitled...
I prefer watching anime raw, but I don't realistically expect Australian cinemas to cater for that. :p One advantage of DVD is that I can watch it in the Japanese audio and switch the subtitles off. :)

And yes, if I'm watching foreign language films that's in a language I don't understand (e.g. Hindi, Korean, French etc.) then obviously I'll watch it with the subtitles on. ;)

Raider
29th January 2019, 08:14 AM
New show out by Rooster Teeth called Gen:Lock. Has a very Gundam feel to it with the mechanics yet action sequences look like RWBY. Seems promising.

GoktimusPrime
30th January 2019, 10:31 PM
<sarcasm> "That's not annie-maaay!" </sarcasm> :p

Dan
12th July 2020, 11:03 PM
Not sure if this counts as anime, as it's French/Korean animation, but I just watched the movie Gandahar (1987) and it is quite strange. The story is okay but I particularly liked the way its imagery depicts a very alien ecology. In that regard, it gives both the Dark Crystal and Avatar a run for their money.

SMHFConvoy
12th July 2020, 11:12 PM
Not sure if this counts as anime, as it's French/Korean animation, but I just watched the movie Gandahar (1987) and it is quite strange. The story is okay but I particularly liked the way its imagery depicts a very alien ecology. In that regard, it gives both the Dark Crystal and Avatar a run for their money.

The French have a history of making animation that leans into anime and they do it very well.

GoktimusPrime
12th July 2020, 11:14 PM
"Anime" is just the Japanese word for animation so... technically any cartoon/animation is "anime." Even the Japanese refer to non-Japanese animation as "anime" (or "dohga"). If you want to specifically refer to Japanese animation in Japanese, then you say "Nihon Anime" (日本アニメ). So yeah, the word "anime" itself doesn't exclusively refer to Japanese animation. :)

Kranix
14th July 2020, 07:50 PM
Apologies if this is not the place to ask this but I'm wanting to purchase the full Initial D collection on DVD. I can see that it's available from the following store:

https://www.playtech-asia.com/initial-d-stage-1-6-dvd-complete-set-movie.html

May be a silly question but are Playtech Asia a reputable vendor to purchase from? Has anyone viewed these DVDs to comment on quality?

Thanks

valkyrie_76
14th July 2020, 09:37 PM
Apologies if this is not the place to ask this but I'm wanting to purchase the full Initial D collection on DVD. I can see that it's available from the following store:

https://www.playtech-asia.com/initial-d-stage-1-6-dvd-complete-set-movie.html

May be a silly question but are Playtech Asia a reputable vendor to purchase from? Has anyone viewed these DVDs to comment on quality?

Thanks

Dont know about Playtech as I thought you were talking about PlayAsia store. Interesting though because a friend of mine would be very interested in that set too.

Jay-Tron
23rd October 2020, 12:03 PM
The final Neon Genesis Evangelion rebuild movie has a new office release date - January 2021. After over 10 years the end is near.