PDA

View Full Version : Shipping options for Fortress Maximus

jop
2nd April 2013, 09:15 PM
Hi all,

I know a lot of you are keen to get your hands on the encore Fortress Maximus (I know I am!) and I was curious to know how everyone was getting it shipped and how much it costs.

I have ordered mince from eToysJapan as I have had good experience with them in the past. I received the following email from them yesterday:

"We are trying to find a good way to ship your Encore 23, but because of size limitation of Australia postal service in parcel (both air and surface), the only option is by EMS SpeedPost which would be around $123.00 (Encore 23 + MP-15,16). However, if we can ship only the Encore 23 and pack it with in the size limitation, then the air parcel would be around $86.00, and by sea would be around $45.00 (take 2 months).

Allow us to elaberate. The size limitation is:

Length 1.05m, length and girth combined 2m (s)

Encore 23 on its own is 595 x 402 x 228mm, (s) is 1.855m. It is o.k .to wrap the item with brown paper and ship, but then the box will be destroyed for sure.

The alternative plan here is to add 1cm of material each side for protection and ship. Then (s) would be 1.961m, and still o.k. to use parcel service. Now after saying all these, we do not know what material to use (except styro foam) that can achieve this and the protection might not be very good. Shipping MP-15,16 separately would be $13.90 by 1st class airmail."

To be honest, I can wait 2 months for sea post to receive this item while I make space in the collection for it (Still not sure where to put it as it's just so huge).

I thought i'd hear what everyone else thinks about this and how you have gone about shipping issues with this monster of an item.

Thanks in advance

DELTAprime
2nd April 2013, 10:07 PM
Robot Kingdom has had similar size constraint issues. Sounds like the only way Australia Post will accept a Fort Max sized box is EMS.

EDIT: I asked the guy that delivered it whats the size restriction. He's been delivering parcels for Aus Post for maybe a decade so he has some idea of whats going on. He said there should not be any problem from Aus Post point of view. He has to deliver much bigger items than Fort Max all the time.

Omega Metro
3rd April 2013, 09:27 PM
I'm interested in getting a Fort Max also but the postage seems to very high. Is EMS the only option or can I risk paying standard postage if its available at checkout? Been looking at Robot Kingdom, Chimungmung and BbtS.

GoktimusPrime
3rd April 2013, 10:08 PM
Guys, remember that with Japan Post when it comes to large packages shipping by EMS isn't much cheaper than surface. They won't even bother offering surface anymore for very large packages since it's not longer cost efficient (re: economies of scale). In any case, I was charged $88 for my Fort Max EMS postage, which is actually pretty good IMO. :)

Omega Metro
3rd April 2013, 10:29 PM
Guys, remember that with Japan Post when it comes to large packages shipping by EMS isn't much cheaper than surface. They won't even bother offering surface anymore for very large packages since it's not longer cost efficient (re: economies of scale). In any case, I was charged $88 for my Fort Max EMS postage, which is actually pretty good IMO. :)

May I ask where you got yours from? Robotkingdom is charging $138 postage by EMS which seems excessive.

GoktimusPrime
3rd April 2013, 10:47 PM
HobbyLinkJapan (http://www.hlj.com/product/TKT47613).

Krayt
3rd April 2013, 11:01 PM
Rk allows you to select the cheaper shipping, and gave a free upgrade to ems

jop
3rd April 2013, 11:38 PM
Thanks guys for your response. Seems like EMS is the way to go.

Perhaps I can see if they can match RK's free upgrade....

Deonasis
3rd April 2013, 11:41 PM
Rk allows you to select the cheaper shipping, and gave a free upgrade to emsThis is interesting. I read that RK were only offering EMS for this, not that it was a free upgrade from SAL. I did only order a few days ago so maybe RK had realised that only EMS would cut it in Australia and so they upgraded all previous orders for free while i was told to pick EMS.

fatbot
4th April 2013, 06:29 AM
This is interesting. I read that RK were only offering EMS for this, not that it was a free upgrade from SAL. I did only order a few days ago so maybe RK had realised that only EMS would cut it in Australia and so they upgraded all previous orders for free while i was told to pick EMS.

I wasn't given a free upgrade to EMS, I had to shell out an extra $60

DELTAprime
4th April 2013, 09:36 PM
That price for shipping and even Max himself on HLJ is really good, far cheaper than RK. If you haven't ordered yet I suggest following Goktimus's link and buying there.

DarkHyren
5th April 2013, 10:19 AM
That price for shipping and even Max himself on HLJ is really good, far cheaper than RK. If you haven't ordered yet I suggest following Goktimus's link and buying there.Unfortunately they are all out of stock, but I would definitely consider HLJ for future Encore figures, I've bought from them before and the experience was a pleasant one.

Hobby Search still has Fortress Maximus in stock (http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10202318) for 26,820 yen (about $267.55).
I got mine from them, postage cost me a further 10,700 yen (about $106.74) EMS on top, so that would make him about $50-60 cheaper then RK.