PDA

View Full Version : Episode Review: TF Prime Ep 55: Prey

BigTransformerTrev
7th April 2013, 09:00 PM
Positives

*Did like how Predaking was as powerful as the Pit, but yet did not manage to even kill Miko (oh if only he had though, I would have applauded!) which does not set him up as ‘the ultimate force of nature’ that suddenly becomes quite easy to beat in subsequent episodes.

*The line from Arcee about “Imagine if I reversed my colour scheme – I would be pink!” – very nice!

*Ultra Magnus has his character portrayed very well, quite indicative of MTMTE – a procedural nut but a powerful warrior not to be trifled with.

Negatives:

*I was disappointed to not see Ultra Magnus get an alt-mode as I am interested to see if it resembles the Voyager toy that came out last year or the Beast Hunters toy which is getting released soon. Certainly his arm blasters resembled the ones Optimus has so sadly that may be indicative he might end up with the recoloured version of Weaponizer Prime in the show, which means no new animated mold.

*Optimus is thinking of naming Smokescreen as the next Autobot leader?!? Na, sorry – not washing with me. That, in regards to this TF universe and the preceding storyline, is weak. Smokescreen is the young bot on the block – and not in the way Hot Rod was in the animated movie. Building up to a confrontation between Smokescreen and Ultra Magnus over leadership maybe?

Overall, a good episode. But they need to hurry their arses up and make some major stuff go down soon if we only have 9 ep’s left to the finale!

GoktimusPrime
7th April 2013, 09:25 PM
+ Ultra Magnus obviously inspired by his IDW counterpart. :) His voice... has yet to grow on me I suppose. I still prefer Jeff Bennett (Animated Magnus), not only for emulating Robert Stack... but just for sounding more authoritative which I feel this Magnus needs to. I'm surprised that his Magnus wasn't even more nitpicky than he was. Is there no protocol in encountering intelligent alien life forms? (like, oh I don't know... a certain Accord by a certain Chief Justice? ;)) He just seems humans and keeps carrying on, and even expects them to follow/observe Autobot military protocol! What?? And what's more, he's genuinely surprised/confused when they don't. :confused: Even Animated Magnus was better in this regard... like when the Steelhaven arrived they erected a shield and maintained quarantine protocols. This Magnus just openly discusses Autobot business in front of alien life forms that he's just met!
+ Predaking sure is über powerful... now I wonder if he'll maintain this power, or if he'll become less powerful in later eps (as happened with Hardshell).
+ Arcee to Shadow Strike Bumblebee: "If I reverse my colours, I'd be pink!" -- LOL! :D
+ Interesting to see the Autobots operating without Optimus Prime in charge... or...
+ ARISE, SMOKESCREENIMUS PRIME?!? :eek:

Gasaraki
9th April 2013, 02:26 PM
Liked the episode overall... some very interesting stuff they are bringing up.

- Predaking has a pretty cool model
- I'm liking this portrayal of Shockwave
- Like the Smokescreen character arc, albeit still somewhat predictable

Dislikes:
- Predaking is already pretty neutered IMO... I was expecting some real damage, but in the end he's looking more like another Decepticon that they can deal with (dealt with!). However, he does look like he will develop - see below.
- Not liking this portrayal of Ultra Magnus. He's one of my favourite post-movie TFs in G1... a lot more of a stick up the a** character here and in the IDW comics. Worse in TFP than IDW I think.

Observations:
- I was surprised at the emotional investment I had - felt really quite glad to see each reunion that happened.
- Ultra Magnus model looks like a cross between the PRID Voyager and the upcoming BH voyager... more the BH voyager OP based model. I understand the need to limit new models, but definitely prefer the PRID model in the way it differentiates him from OP. I might also be biased as I have the PRID toy!
- Haven't seen any 'primed' model of Smokescreen... wonder if there are plans if he indeed will become a Prime.
- Predaking is obviously a dynamic character - I think he'll next get an intelligence boost some how, and then get his robot mode. Doesn't the toy tech spec list his intelligence as 8 or something?
- Wonder what's the story arc for OP... they are forecasting an upgrade/remodel for him with the toy releases, so seems like he won't die. Or, perhaps more likely, he dies and rises. Again.

Bidoofdude
10th April 2013, 12:28 PM
Some people are talking about BH Voyager Prime's head looking like Smokescreen's and some other similarities, on TFW, IIRC.:confused:;)
Who knows about Smokescreen??:p:confused:
For all we know, he could fuse with the Star Sabre and become part Optimus!!!:D:p (with all his wisdom;))

Sharky
10th April 2013, 05:27 PM
in some scenes somokescreen looked like rodimus would i guess....there is a history with smokey so maybe he was always earmarked as the next prime.

Arise Rodimus Prime... (cause lets face it they have moved away from just adding -imus prime.) one can hope....

i can see predaking chomping down on old screamer sooner or alter...