PDA

View Full Version : Guided TF tours in Hong Kong?

Slag
9th April 2013, 09:31 PM
O.k. I'm heading to Hong Kong in a bit and my friends GF (mad organiser) found some guy online called Jimmy G or something similar to take up to 6 people on a guided toy/TF safari.
I expect he would just take us to shops listed (free of charge) on HD's website, he charges $40US pp

My question is has anyone heard of this guy before and is it worth doing.

I know 40 could go towards a TF purchase but after last time , not finding Robo Robo instantly, it just about came to blows between me and this "itinerary is set in concrete and was organised 2 years ago/you can do what you want just be here at 8.30" friends GF:p

Plus at 40 bucks i thought i might spend that in taxis over a day of toy shop hopping .. at least some of it

GoktimusPrime
9th April 2013, 09:37 PM
Never heard of the guy. Have you considered arranging a meet with a HK based OTCAer like heroic_decepticon? I've met him IRL a few times and he's a genuinely top bloke. :)

Slag
9th April 2013, 10:38 PM
he's a genuinely top bloke. :)

I've heard the same from other people

Sam
9th April 2013, 10:40 PM
Honestly I think 40US pp is a bit of a rip.

Not saying I know all of the shops in HK that stock nice TFs, but I was able to kinda fumble my way through the shops around Nathan Road. Being able to speak Cantonese definitely did help, but having said that I think you might be able to find some HK TF fans that would be willing to help free of charge - simply to enjoy the company.

Slag
9th April 2013, 11:52 PM
Honestly I think 40US pp is a bit of a rip.

Not saying I know all of the shops in HK that stock nice TFs, but I was able to kinda fumble my way through the shops around Nathan Road. Being able to speak Cantonese definitely did help, but having said that I think you might be able to find some HK TF fans that would be willing to help free of charge - simply to enjoy the company.

Fair enough. (i was in at 20 before he upped the price) i might give it a miss then.
i never expect anything for free, but i'd be happier to pay a member i guess.
it's not for a couple of months yet so we'll see what happens.
cheers guys.

GoktimusPrime
10th April 2013, 09:10 AM
Yeah, I reckon you should just go explore yourself. Being a former British Colony it's heaps easy to get around Hong Kong with English -- lots of people there can speak English, and a lot of signage is in English too (and often Hong Kong people use more correct English than some Australians! e.g. they say "mind your step," not "watch your step" :D)

Sam
10th April 2013, 11:32 AM
O.k. I'm heading to Hong Kong in a bit and my friends GF (mad organiser) found some guy online called Jimmy G or something similar to take up to 6 people on a guided toy/TF safari.
I expect he would just take us to shops listed (free of charge) on HD's website, he charges $40US pp

I might have spoken too soon.

Does this fee includes any transport and/or meal costs?

If so it's probably not bad, but if it's just the fee for the tour, it is a bit steep in my view, even if he takes you around various areas of HK.

griffin
10th April 2013, 01:11 PM
We have topics here (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=11586) of the various known stores in HK, Japan, Singapore and some other parts of Asia, which you can then look up on google maps and print up your own maps to use (which is what I do when I travel)... but a guided tour can help if you are there for the first time and don't travel much (to make it less stressful about missing something or the fear of getting lost).

GoktimusPrime
10th April 2013, 04:25 PM
Hong Kong has really excellent infrastructure and public transport (and all major signage in English) - it's heaps easy to get around. You're far more likely to get lost in Sydney with our nightmarish excuse for transportation and roads! :rolleyes:

nexusnixx
10th April 2013, 05:19 PM
yeap the resources here for toy shops is good!

one golden tip.... do shop around, because shop on different level can have different pricing and I am not talking but a couple of dollars.... like 10-15% difference

Skullcruncher
12th April 2013, 02:51 PM
I would use the toy maps and if you have any issues ask at the hotel. They guy could even be a scammer leading you to some back alley where some buddies of his rob you blind.

Sure he may be legit but best to learn from others :D

Plus: He may recieve commision from shops if you make a purchase so its not really independant.

GoktimusPrime
12th April 2013, 05:54 PM
^That's a really good point

Slag
12th April 2013, 06:04 PM
I might have spoken too soon.

Does this fee includes any transport and/or meal costs?

If so it's probably not bad, but if it's just the fee for the tour, it is a bit steep in my view, even if he takes you around various areas of HK.

No food provided, just transport.... i thought:o

I would use the toy maps and if you have any issues ask at the hotel. They guy could even be a scammer leading you to some back alley where some buddies of his rob you blind.

Sure he may be legit but best to learn from others :D

Plus: He may recieve commision from shops if you make a purchase so its not really independant.

^That's a really good point

I've shut it down. Originally it was meant to be $20pp then , when we showed interest he upped it to 40:confused:

I'm going to wing it, of coarse i'll get printouts of HD's maps:p Only issue i had in Singapore (last time) was that some of the shops had moved,

Paulbot
12th April 2013, 07:06 PM
In HK the only "issue" I had was that some stores were closed if I went too early. I still managed to do all my TF shopping in two half days, solo, with no clue of the language, using HD's maps, currency conversion on my phone and the subway between the two key areas. Regular late night trading is a big help. My other issue was the heat. So awfully muggy in July but okay once inside.

GoktimusPrime
12th April 2013, 07:13 PM
My other issue was the heat. So awfully muggy in July but okay once inside.
+1. It's even worse for bespectacled fellas like me... my lenses would just immediately fog up whenever I stepped outside! :eek: