PDA

View Full Version : (APR-2013) Beast Wars Characters - Best and Worst

griffin
11th April 2013, 11:16 PM
Beast Wars was a fairly Significant Era of Transformers, in both Japan and Hasbro markets.

(Western) Beast Wars (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Beast_Wars:_Transformers_(franchise)) (1996-1999) (NOTE - in Japan, Season 1 aired in 1997, while the other 2 Seasons aired in 1999 as Beast Wars Metals, after Neo)
JP Beast Wars Second (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Beast_Wars_II:_Super_Lifeform_Transformers_(franch ise)) (1998)
JP Beast Wars Neo (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Super_Lifeform_Transformers:_Beast_Wars_Neo_(franc hise)) (1999)

Who are your favourite characters in this era, and why?

Which characters were disappointing or under-used?

Who would you have liked to have seen more of in this Series?

KalEl
12th April 2013, 04:25 PM
Dinobot - Need I say? :P
Optimus Primal - He awesome!
Rampage - Nutter but awesome
Depthcharge - As above :P

Tigerhawk was too badass to go so quickly...

More of the series :P

GoktimusPrime
12th April 2013, 07:01 PM
Waspinator - because he rules! :D
Dinobot - noble and morally conflicted
Depth Charge - the fallen hero

Heinlad. Such a lame character for so awesome a toy.
Tigerhawk. We only got to know him before he was offed.

A better sequel than Beast Machines!

i_amtrunks
12th April 2013, 07:17 PM
Rhinox was my favourite character, so sturdy and reliable.
Waspinator for just being the whipping boy that could never catch a break
Tarantulas for being evil, menacing and never truly revealing his loyalties or intentions.

Don't really want to start sounding like a broken record, but Tarantulas had a lot of character development and storyline potential, but it we only ever scratched the surface. Still feel a comic series showing some of his other machinations would be a great read.
Ravage was used as a link to G1, and his death was great, but I always have wondered what could have been. To a lesser extent, Terrorsaur and Scorponok too, but they were far more one dimensional.

Same as above in a way, but would have to say, more of everyone would have been great, but the way the series was written in the final arc made it impossible to not move onto a sequel. More time in season 2-3 before everyone went transmetal II would have been fantastic.

Autocon
15th April 2013, 08:20 PM
Who are your favourite characters in this era, and why? (least fav characters to make it easy)
transmutate
scorponok
ravage

Airrazor and tigertron. Scorponok didn't have time to evolve into anything.

Other characters not used in the show but with enough screen time to know the character.

BigTransformerTrev
16th April 2013, 08:25 AM
Lots of great characters! I liked in particular:
*Dinobot
*Depth Charge
*Waspinator

*Rattrap could have been a tad less annoying, but wasn't too bad
*More character development for some of the Pred's
*We get it! Cheetor wants to shag Black Arachnia! Stop the teen-angst sub-plot! He was the Wesley Crusher of BW! At least cooler when got a Transmetal body.

*Starscreams ghost
*G1 Ravage

crankcase76
20th April 2013, 06:00 PM

Ratrap: added the comic relief for the series for the autobots.
Megaton: loved his Dino mode but got even better when he took on the dragon mode.
Inferno: provided the unstable nutter for the deceptions and also he was a bit of a devote megaton supporter, plus he always called him my Queen.

Tiger hawk: not a lot of contact with him as he popped in and out when needed.

Wish they would of added a few more G1 characters in this series and the other Dinobots would have tied in great.

Shirokaze
21st April 2013, 09:01 PM
Dinobot - I don't think he needs a lot of explanation :)
Megatron - Beast Wars Megatron is my favourite of the Megatrons!

I would've liked to seem more evolution to Tigatron's character.

Ravage - He came and went far too quickly.

Hursticon
28th May 2013, 08:39 PM

Good grief, you don't want these questions to be easy huh Griffin? :p:D

Megatron - This Cybertronian has achieved more than any other bot to bear the name Megatron; He very nearly won the Beast Wars on numerous occasions & came exceedingly close to erasing much/most of Cybertronian history! - Yes..., not forgetting he goes from having a T-Rex based Beast mode to a bloody Dragon! :eek::D

Dinobot/II - He/They stand equal with Megatron as "Top of the bunch" for much the same reasons: Characterisation & Beast mode; this was no slimey traitor, no, this was a conflicted bot with a deep sense of warrior's honor who performed an act SO profound in his final moments that few if any bot from any other fiction could hold a candle to it if they tried.
In Dinobot II's case specifically though, its the questions that his very existence raises that intrigues me most out of any TF character and I believe really deserves a whole lot more exploration.

Black Arachnia - Whilst bearing proportions that could be considered questionable to point of not really making any sense at all, she easily defined what it meant to be a fully capable Fembot as well as excelling at both Protagonist & Antagonist roles better than any who came before her.

Rattrap - Deserves mentioning for his comedic value alone; that is only one facet however as he is actually a formidable scout who exhibits many leadership qualities, sure he might be a rat at times but at least you know where you stand with the guy.

Tarantulas - This guy, I feel, really is the creepy combination of Shockwave & Wheeljack; His independence from the rest of the Predacon troop often makes for some heated confrontations but his exploitation of science & opportunity means he's definitely one of the more interesting characters.

Ravage - Dude is G1 Ravage, in a new Black Panther-esque form with a Russian accent and remaining a covert operative albeit with some new/enhanced tricks up his sleeve; He makes for one of the most entertaining story arcs in the entire series and the fact that he still turns into a Micro-Cassette tape (Demonstrating MAJOR mass-shifting in the process! :D) means he really gives older G1 fans a good kick of nostalgia.

Transmutate - The very prospect of a "Handicapped-Transformer" again raises many questions & Sue Blu's return performance as this twisted frame of Fuzor & Transmetal Technology really helped to break new ground in children's entertainment (I feel).

The Vok - Often the most overlooked characters in this series; this mysterious Alien race not only have a hand in the course of events throughout the entire story of the Beast Wars, they're superior to the Cybertronians in almost every conceivable way whilst also seeming to exhibit a possible distant link to the Transformers... Curiouser & curiouser...

I'll tackle the 'disappointing' side of this question here I think, the 'underused' I'll leave for the next question. ;):)

Disappointing-wise I'd have to point the finger at Scorponok & Terrorsaur; I feel their forms belied a greater amount of importance than what they ended up receiving, I think they could've been treated quite a bit better narratively-speaking than the simple cliched characterisation & tropes they were given but in the end I suppose they ended up merely being devices for the greater plot - A pity too as I like Scorpions & Pteranodons. :o

I feel that both Transmutate & Dinobot II were severely underused; Be it due to controversy or sadly coming into the fold too late in the scheme of things (Oh what a 4th Season could've given us! :(:(:(), both characters I feel are utterly ripe for further character & concept exploration as the topics of Cybertronian genetics and cloning provoke many scientific & moral parallels with that of real life.