PDA

View Full Version : Toys broken while in your possession

griffin
15th April 2013, 02:07 PM
Since a lot of our toys are aging and deteriorating/breaking just from transforming them (or playing with them, if you still do)... I was thinking that maybe we can see what people are breaking unintentionally.
People can suggest repairs if they want, but this can just document the the various figures that are breaking through "normal play" or accidental causes, so we can share in the pain of breaking something prized, rare or expensive (or common even).

These are some examples of what I mean...

This "tragedy" occurred to me two weeks ago, while setting up a group-shot of my toys (playing with themselves). My Junior Fortress Maximus fell to the floor and broke its arm.

http://www.toycollectors.com.au/blog/a582.jpg

I'm gonna have to disect the toy and glue the arm back to its stump, and then keep an eye out for a cheap junker.
It's just annoying that I only got this toy 15 months ago, after about 10 years of wanting one.

I only recently got the Tigatron USB stick to complete the set of three, and as I had the three out, the jaw broke off Ravage (Cheetor's jaw broke off the day I got it out of its box - so now only Tigatron is unbroken).
http://www.toycollectors.com.au/blog/759.jpg

This one was trying to straighten out a bent arm on a Sentinel Prime figurine, and it just snapped off. Another job for superglue.
http://www.toycollectors.com.au/blog/798.jpg

And one that can't be fixed... :(
Rampage's shiny red coating rubbing off one day when I was cleaning the dust off it with a cloth.
http://www.toycollectors.com.au/blog/181.jpg

Ones I don't have photos for...
- Masterpiece Ultra Magnus. The Megatron gun was snapped in half by the neighbour's kid, and it's the unique deco version (I wouldn't have cared as much if it was one of the Optimus ones, as there are several now in classic Megatron colours... but this was the only "diaclone" coloured version so far released).
- Dual Model Kit Bumblebee. Broke one of the tiny struts for a "back wing" while building it, which is too small for the weight it is holding for the re-gluing attempts to work.
- Robot Masters Starscream. A friend was transforming it and snapped off a tail-fin. They replaced it with a new Starscream, but the tail-fin could probably glue back on.

5FDP
15th April 2013, 02:49 PM
My worst accident by far was trying to repair my original G1 Megatron. For some bizarre reason I had peeled off his chest / gun barrel stickers and coloured the remaining stickers (the sticker residue / paper) black using a marker :confused: :rolleyes:

I was using just water to remove the remaining 20+ year old residue and wiping it with a cloth as I was going. As I was impatient waiting for it to dry so I could apply my new Reprolabel stickers, I decided to use my wife’s hairdryer. Anyone want to guess what happened next? Yep, the plastic of Megatrons chest piece melted and warped :eek: I was beside myself and in a panic :( I didn't know what to do and rang my wife at work. Next I rang Jamie (dealer from the Parra Collectors Fair) but he couldn't help me either.

Once I had calmed down, I searched on eBay for a junker Megs, found and bought one, and have since repaired my old one. I never want to go through that again and thus.... I don't play with my toys anymore ;) :p

CBratron
15th April 2013, 04:52 PM
Haven't broke anything significant since I started collecting 2 years ago.
But within an hour of unboxing Perfect Effect's RC Motobot I had snapped one of the legs off the sniper rifle's bipod. It has since been fixed by drilling in and installing a new peg fashioned from brass rod.

But in my childhood I slowly lost any loose bits from G1 Dirge and Ramjet as well as snapping the canopy and spoiler off G1 Hot Rod.

GoktimusPrime
16th April 2013, 01:34 AM
I only recently got the Tigatron USB stick to complete the set of three, and as I had the three out, the jaw broke off Ravage (Cheetor's jaw broke off the day I got it out of its box - so now only Tigatron is unbroken).
My Device Label Cheetor is broken in all kinds of places it ain't funny. :( I hate that toy... it's such a weak (and overpriced - even below RRP) piece of CRAP. :mad:

1AZRAEL1
16th April 2013, 03:18 AM
My missus tried to move an arm on Lord Zarak, and it just snapped. I was mortified and then vowed never to play with Headmasters, powermasters partners ever again.

No recent breaks or damage thank god. But the amount of times some figures have fallen from their perch and not broken is amazing.

UltraMarginal
16th April 2013, 01:43 PM
Significant breaks for me:

when a young fella my mum was fiddling with my Swoop while talking on the phone, I might have been getting her help transforming it, either way, she snapped off the upper or lower jaw, and it's never been the same. She did feel horrible.

when even younger, my baby sister sat on my g1 prime trailer (it was about the right size for her to use as a chair) and the hing holding the back door on failed. the door will sit there closed but falls off readily.

My G1 mirage has one of the spoiler tabs broken off, the spoiler has been held in place with some blu-tac for over 20 years. probably nearly 30.

binaltech wheeljack has a damaged spoiler, I plan to glue it back together at some point.

I have been supremely lucky over the years.

Ravagecat
17th April 2013, 08:35 AM
Out of my G1 stuff:

The Green plastic seems to go brittle easy for a couple of my gestalt combiners :mad::(

Sinnertwin: decided I wanted to change his position on Abominus and when moving the small robot head (even holding it as close to the body as I could) snapped in my hand
Vortex: folded out his tail section and the green inner plastic disintegrated in my hand on both sides.

Have since fixed them both with junkers :)

More recent TF's

Gave my son my Mint in BOX Transmetal Megatron to play with (not knowing he is known for breaking easily). I feel so sorry for my son as he came running to me within minutes sobbing with both Megs arms in his hand. The brown plastic on his chest had disintegrated :eek:

Decided to open my BW mutants and put them on display - Soudwave broke in three places just by looking at him :rolleyes: His jaw hinge broke, and where his body comes together chipped in a couple of places just by clicking the two haves together

Finally (sorry to bore everyone) - Decided to open some of my Beast Machines to display better. Started to unwire Nightscream and discovered the clear plastic holding his waist together had broken :mad: so he came out of the box in two pieces :D (stupid beast machines :p)

surprisingly as 1AZRAEL1 mentioned some of my toys have fallen from significant heights and not a mark on them. The most recent being that I was rearranging my alternators/binaltechs (which are on the top shelf of one of my display cases) Bumped binaltech Arcee an she did a back flip and fell about 8 feet to hard concrete floor :eek: with just that tile stlye carpet (approx .5 cm thick) to break her fall. Not a mark :cool:

BigTransformerTrev
17th April 2013, 01:27 PM
My Breakages

G1:
*One of Silverbolts leg joints snapped off. Then a year later the other one did. Now to make him stand I need to use bluetack and making Superion is almost impossible

*A year ago poor old Sludges leg broke off. Was transforming him the same way I had a million times before - poor fella is just old

*Bought a Fizzle off ebay earlier this year. The front broke off the very first time I tried to Transform him. Also my Ratbat came with his ears broken off (which it did NOT show in the pic).

*My MISB Reflector that I got two years ago, someone stood on his camera barrel and it broke evenly in half. Still waiting for me to glue back together.

*My wife's idiot cousin grabbed my Gears and banged him around the monopoly board we were using him as a piece for and broke off one of his shinguards

*My mate gave me a Powerglide, a Thrust and a Jetfire out of his old toy box. Jetfire is missing an arm, one of Thrusts guns in broken and he is missing one tailfin and Powerglide had been broken some time in the past and been superglued back together in vehicle mode. But they were free so I still appreciated them

*Found a red Bumblebee, though with all the rubber missing from his tires. Still a good find though!

Energon:
*Bulkhead broke in half at the hip. Still able to stand him up if I balance him carefuly

Titanium:
*My 6 inch WW Optimus fell forward and his gun broke in half

Busts:
*My little Bumblebee bust fell forward and broke all the fingertips off one hand

Sinnertwin
17th April 2013, 03:51 PM
Transformed ehobby Twincast after cleaning him. Next thing i know i'm holding his arm in my hand. Just snapped clean at the shoulder.

tinyJazz
18th April 2013, 02:05 AM
Alternators Mirage, fresh out of a sealed box. I snapped half the hinge on one of his chest/floor plates the first time I transformed him. The bit that snapped off looked like it was melted onto the next piece of plastic though. :/

Fortunately the break doesn't affect his transformation or looks, so I'm not worried about fixing or replacing.

5FDP
18th April 2013, 01:15 PM
I shudder to think how many of mine would break straight out of the box especially now since I buy 99.9% online. Think I'll just leave them all in the box. Ignorance is bliss ;) :D

Bidoofdude
20th April 2013, 06:36 PM
Transformed ehobby Twincast after cleaning him. Next thing i know i'm holding his arm in my hand. Just snapped clean at the shoulder.

No disrespect but I giggled ever so slightly. Maybe it was the way it was worded... :D:p

(But that's seriously bad though :()

Sinnertwin
20th April 2013, 06:42 PM
No disrespect but I giggled ever so slightly. Maybe it was the way it was worded... :D:p

(But that's seriously bad though :()

All good :D
Hes recovered nicely after some emergency glue applications.

Bidoofdude
20th April 2013, 10:35 PM
Well, the GPS on my Protoform screamer finally disintegrated today. Heaps of little pieces everywhere. :p

Sinnertwin
21st April 2013, 12:29 PM
Well, the GPS on my Protoform screamer finally disintegrated today. Heaps of little pieces everywhere. :p

That tends to happen when you step on things :p
Out of curiosity, was it during transformation?

Bidoofdude
21st April 2013, 05:53 PM
Just bending an elbow and it snapped off above the elbow hinge. The fingers and hands crumbled away a while ago. :p:(
The plates on the top of his thighs (covering the ball joints) also broke off when I looked at him funny.

snaketales
22nd April 2013, 11:43 PM
I shudder to think how many of mine would break straight out of the box especially now since I buy 99.9% online. Think I'll just leave them all in the box. Ignorance is bliss ;) :D

Schrodinger's transformer?

:p

iamirondude
28th April 2013, 09:25 AM
well now my protoform starscream is falling apart. i just put his weapon in his hand and it fell off. what a rip! it should be able to last more than a year.(i had it mosc and decided to open it. it's never ever been in sunlight)

CBratron
28th April 2013, 10:02 AM
Schrodinger's transformer?

Nice one.

Bidoofdude
28th April 2013, 08:17 PM
well now my protoform starscream is falling apart. i just put his weapon in his hand and it fell off. what a rip! it should be able to last more than a year.(i had it mosc and decided to open it. it's never ever been in sunlight)

Just out of curiosity, did his thumb piece just break off as well? It seems to be quite brittle. :(

iamirondude
28th April 2013, 08:27 PM
yeap it sure did and when i went to move the arm up to have a better look it fell off.

liegeprime
28th April 2013, 11:23 PM
Most of the TFs in my list are GPS sufferers which would explain they're downfall. Others are just suffering from Brittleness of the plastic prolly due to age of the toy.

7 years ago - G1 Roadblock's innerbot - I got the toy (from ebay) when it arrived, was too excited didn't heed that it is a gold plastic tf tried to pose the little innerbot and that arm snapped.... glued it in place and never played with the innerbot again, always just the innershell pretender now... this also happened with my G1 Skyhammer's innerbot - I bought an extra innerbot to compensate but I don't manipulate the little guy at all.

Same thing with Pretender Monster innerbot - G1 Bristleback - I was being careful but there seems no way of going around the darn GPS - transformed the innerbot from bot to beast mode and the leg snapped in pieces - had to scramble to the floor to find all the pieces so I can glue it all back together in place. Needless to say I've stuck the thing in beast mode - actually in limb mode, and finally after 7 years found a spare (which I fixed as well) to keep in bot mode.

Mutant Beast Soundwave - I have been warned that the toy is absolutely all in gold plastic - tried to eveeeer so gently transform from gator to bat mode and a whole section of his chest snapped. again glue in place and now he's forever stuck in bat mode. At least the glue holds all of em.

Last year , with God Ginrai - that tab for his leg that locks godbomber to his feet in combined mode snapped while I was trying to play with the toyafter years of not playing with it. I tried to glue it but yeah, the tab just isn't going as strong as it used to , so I bought an extra God Ginrai from a fellow member here, kept that in its box and as for my first Ginrai - he's forever in combined mode with Godbomber.

Years ago I managed to acquire an incomplete Metroplex - while at play and transforming him to base mode, the middle torso connector snapped and he ended up in two segments - upper and lower. Heavy glueing and days of not moving the toy he is now left in Philippines - still incomplete , transformable to a degree but you cant twist his torso at all anymore. Ive since acquired 2 more complete Metroplex. Im thinking of passing that one up to this kid I know, mebbe.

Admittedly this one is a preTF - MicronCondor - blue hue - arguably Garboil hehehe. His plastic started to turn brittle around the leg joint where it joins with the body at the tail part. It crumbled when I transformed him and not amount of gluing has kept it in place, this figure Ive retired...

Another pre tf - Micron Microx - Pre Reflector - Ive had it even before I got my first TF (Soundwave) around 1984. Havent played with it much since the joint are quite loose from all the play it got waaay back when I was a kid. then one day I decided to clean it a bit and tried to separate the 3 figures (it was in camera mode) I pulled one figure and the metal strut of the middlebot(pre- Viewfinder) snapped away with the robot I tried to disconnect.... I was really annoyed coz for yeaaars Ive had this toy, and to think it snapped at the metal portion not the plastic bit, grrrr. no amount of g;luing could connect it back but Ive kept the figures (for sentimental reasons) in combined camera mode and remains on display in my G1 shelf.

Another figure which Ive abandoned back in Phils in G1 Onslaught - my first onslaught - his leg plastic seems quite brittle and has crumbled at the knee joints when I played with it, glued it but it still keeps crumbling so I just kept the figure but in broken pieces. Ive since got 2 more Onslaughts and am very careful with the legs when transforming them coz I think the plastic in them feels brittle.

My G1 Shockwave's arm snapped at the right arm joint while gdmetro was handling it. The toy is old so I didn't blame him at all. Of course he was flabbergasted heheheheh. I was aware he was handling the toy with such care, so I didn't get angry at all wasn't his fault after all. Good thing though co member Bruticus (who was present at the time remembered he had an extra junker he sold to me which I harvested for the part that snapped off. Now my Shockwave is all good again. I certainly am not in the mood to look for another G1 Shockwave not with all the KOs proliferating around nowadays. Bought mine 7 years ago loose on ebay and the electronics still work well.

Demonac
20th June 2013, 10:23 AM
MP Rodimus, why did your ankle snap off?
Really. I wasn't even touching the leg at the time.

GoktimusPrime
22nd August 2013, 09:41 PM
A stress mark appeared on one of Gen. Metroplex's toes tonight while I was playing with him. :( I should be able to cover it up easily enough with a black marker... but still... you'd think Hasbro would use better quality plastic on such a heavy toy. Gah.

BigTransformerTrev
22nd August 2013, 09:49 PM
A stress mark appeared on one of Gen. Metroplex's toes tonight while I was playing with him. :( I should be able to cover it up easily enough with a black marker... but still... you'd think Hasbro would use better quality plastic on such a heavy toy. Gah.

That sucks - will have to keep an eye on my citybots piggy wiggies

SuspectimusPrime
22nd August 2013, 11:16 PM

That concerning. What were you doing with it to cause the stress mark?

GoktimusPrime
22nd August 2013, 11:19 PM
That concerning. What were you doing with it to cause the stress mark?
Making him walk heel to toe.

Kazza
23rd August 2013, 12:42 AM

Use the hair dryer method if your able to target that bit individually to repair the stress mark.

GoktimusPrime
23rd August 2013, 09:33 AM
Use the hair dryer method if your able to target that bit individually to repair the stress mark.
How does that work? Do I just blast that area with a hair dryer? If so, how high should I set it, how long etc? (don't wanna inadvertantly melt the plastic)

Thanks. :)

nofacej
23rd August 2013, 06:02 PM
How does that work? Do I just blast that area with a hair dryer? If so, how high should I set it, how long etc? (don't wanna inadvertantly melt the plastic)

I tried this with a lighter on a stress mark that appeared on my Cyclonus figure and ended up making it 10x worse; so I would advise extreme caution. Start on the lowest setting and only for a few seconds at a time. Work your way up in power slowly and turn it off the moment you see the barest hint of a reaction from the stress mark. I got overzealous when I noticed a change and ended up watching in horror as the stress mark disappeared only to be replaced by an ugly burn.

Kazza
23rd August 2013, 11:25 PM

I tried this with a lighter on a stress mark that appeared on my Cyclonus figure and ended up making it 10x worse; so I would advise extreme caution. Start on the lowest setting and only for a few seconds at a time. Work your way up in power slowly and turn it off the moment you see the barest hint of a reaction from the stress mark. I got overzealous when I noticed a change and ended up watching in horror as the stress mark disappeared only to be replaced by an ugly burn.

You definitely want to isolate the bit that is affected with the stress mark. I did it with my botcon clench, the foot also had a stress mark. I started off on the highest temperature and about 1-2 cm away from the hair dryer for only a few seconds. If it has not faded or improved in ~5 seconds, than i would stop entirely as it maybe closer to being a crack than a simple stress mark. BUT YEAH, YOU DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!!

I would advise against the use of a lighter, hair dryer only.

GoktimusPrime
24th August 2013, 01:42 AM
...might be just safer/simpler to just colour over it with a Sharpie since it's black plastic. :0

The_Damned
8th September 2013, 07:08 PM
went to finally attempt to transform my hasbro mp rodimus and the foot just snapped off. glued it but wont be trying that again.

Demonac
8th September 2013, 09:00 PM
went to finally attempt to transform my hasbro mp rodimus and the foot just snapped off. glued it but wont be trying that again.

This happened to me too.

Sinnertwin
8th September 2013, 09:10 PM
This happened to me too.

This is the first i've heard of the foot snapping :o I've heard plenty of horror stories about the shoulders breaking during transformation and even just standing there on display.

DELTAprime
8th September 2013, 10:17 PM
My Hasbro Rodimus's ratchet joint at the knee broke. I don't think the plastic was fully formed on the ring part of the joint.

On the other hand my Takara one, the version that is super fragile, is in perfect condition.

Firestorm
10th September 2013, 11:12 AM
My cat knocked my ROTF Armorhide off of it's shelf and its gun snapped off.
now I have 2 broken armorhides :(
don't think I'll be buying a third

kup
11th September 2013, 08:58 AM

Sorry to hear about this. It's a very poorly designed toy. I can certainly see the foot snapping given the pressure required to move it and position with the poor quality of plastic.

Gofigure
13th September 2013, 11:32 PM
My 2 yr old just broke a smokestack off my 5 yr olds mp10, just by knocking it off a table onto soft carpet

Ages 5 and up my bum!

GoktimusPrime
10th November 2013, 12:59 AM
...transformed BW Grimlock today... broke a bit of gold plastic. :( Fortunately it's not hugely important, it's part of the hole at the back of the robot leg that pegs into the raptor chest. Now that part of it has broken off, it doesn't peg in very solidly, but it still holds in place. It's not as bad as when one of his robot feet's heel spurs broke off. :mad: *sigh* Needless to say that I very rarely handle toys w/ GPS. I was transforming Grimlock ever so slowly and carefully and still managed to break part of the gold plastic! :rolleyes: Gah.

Shortly after that happened, I had this scenario appear in my mind...
MC: "Welcome to BotCon, and our first guest from Hasbro is the person who introduced gold plastic for Transformers!"
Crowd jeers. Anything not nailed down is thrown at the guest.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/gps.jpg

Hursticon
10th November 2013, 01:19 AM
...transformed BW Grimlock today... broke a bit of gold plastic. :(...

1st mistake Goki, you should know better than that. :o
I both sympathise & empathise with you mate, it's friggin' heartbreaking in a way and never goes down easy. :(

I imagine the person responsible for introducing said polymer into Transformer's manufacturing, keeps a very low profile and is forced to cry himself to sleep every night as he's unable to close his eyes without seeing the scores of children, infant & adult-alike, who's hearts he's broken with such an inexcusable act! ;):D

Ravagecat
19th November 2013, 04:29 PM
...I imagine the person responsible for introducing said polymer into Transformer's manufacturing, keeps a very low profile and is forced to cry himself to sleep every night as he's unable to close his eyes without seeing the scores of children, infant & adult-alike, who's hearts he's broken with such an inexcusable act! ;):D

This comment made my afternoon mate :D

ILikeSoundwave
22nd January 2014, 09:38 AM
Broke my Ultimate class Predaking, I'm tempted to buy another for $39 at Kmart.

lancalot
22nd January 2014, 01:38 PM
Broke my Ultimate class Predaking, I'm tempted to buy another for $39 at Kmart.

:eek:how and what broke?

ILikeSoundwave
22nd January 2014, 02:15 PM
:eek:how and what broke?

Well, I was admiring the Dragon mode and I was holding by the tail, and the part on the tail that plugs into his back snapped off.

Bidoofdude
12th June 2014, 06:57 PM
Ugh, I've now broken both tabs on the back of Platinum Edition Swindle's chestpiece that connects to the legs in alt/leg mode. He's the only one of the Combaticons I have with bad plastic.

Krayt
27th June 2014, 09:54 AM
GAH!!!!

Looked in my g1 84-85 box last night to find Sludges head (broken neck so i bought a junker off ebay that arrived yesterday)

And what do i find....

A Snapped in half Mirage!!!!

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Bidoofdude
7th July 2014, 05:54 PM
Broke the piece on Encore 20a Hook that holds the legs to the torso via the sliding thing. I hot glued it and it's working for now, but I might superglue it.

SuspectimusPrime
7th July 2014, 06:26 PM
Broke the piece on Encore 20a Hook that holds the legs to the torso via the sliding thing. I hot glued it and it's working for now, but I might superglue it.

I half-broke the antenna (did not completely snap off but was hanging by a bit) of my FP Bruticus (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showpost.php?p=326780&postcount=24) (see second pic: at the base of his left antenna you can see a shimmering speck of glue residule) and the guys recommended Loctite 406 (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LOCTITE-406-PRISM-INSTANT-ADHESIVE-INDUSTRIAL-STRENGTH-SUPER-GLUE-20G-25ML-4X4-/261512429213?pt=AU_Business_Industrial_Industrial_ Supply_MRO&hash=item3ce35afe9d&_uhb=1) (product info (http://www.loctite.com.au/3320_AUE_HTML.htm?nodeid=8802625486849)). Be very careful and super mature with the stuff as you can really hurt yourself (Mod please delete this if you feel that it might not be appropriate).

Paulbot
9th July 2014, 09:52 PM
Picked up Generations Orion Pax and found that his axe had broken, leaving the tab part in the leg. Doesn't affect the look of the axe as a weapon, is barely noticeable in vehicle mode. It just means storage in vehicle mode doesn't work.

So it shouldn't be as annoying to me as it is, but I hate the current Generation Deluxes!

Ever since Generations came back as the Fall of Cybertron line, I've found it underwhelming. Skids is good and Waspinator has a great robot mode, but otherwise everything is meh to useless. I'm happy they finally did Trailbreaker but he (and Hoist) have come too late to get a good Classics figures. I'm hoping Rattrap and Arcee are good but we'll see.

DOTM had some good deluxes, I like a lot of the TF:Prime deluxes, and the two AOE ones I have (both Dinobots) are fine too. I think part of the problem with the current Generations being disappointing is that it's in spirit a continuation of a line (CHUG) that was overall better.

Deluxes are my favourite class but Generations isn't bringing it. On the otherhand Generation Voyagers and Scouts are still doing good.

Omega Metro
9th July 2014, 09:58 PM
I personally don't have a problem with the latest Generations deluxes other than being a tad too small. I think they are great.:)

Bidoofdude
9th July 2014, 10:19 PM
I personally don't have a problem with the latest Generations deluxes other than being a tad too small. I think they are great.:)

I like them a little bit better than older Classics figures. They look a lot better proportioned than older figures such as Universe Sideswipe and Universe Ironhide. The only complaint I'd have is that they're a little bit smaller. The headsculpts have been a vast improvement.

Mythirax
10th July 2014, 09:10 AM
The WFC and FoC figures have been my all time favorites to date so far. But I'm a real sucker for the games as well. So for me personally they're fantastic.

griffin
13th July 2014, 10:21 PM
During the big overhaul of the collection at the start of the year, I came across a number of broken figures, and ones that I broke while moving or cleaning the toys.... which is really depressing to see all in one spot like this.

(gonna have to get myself some good glue... and buy a lot of replacements)

A Tripredacus missile/wing, a Pretender beast gun, and the tail-wing on Gen2 Terradive.
http://www.toycollectors.com.au/blog/b967.jpg

The posts on two Spychanger guns... which is something for people to be careful putting into or out of their fists.
http://www.toycollectors.com.au/blog/b968.jpg

TF2 Voyager Starscream's arm, at the plastic "pin" that makes the shoulder.
http://www.toycollectors.com.au/blog/b969.jpg

Leg fin from the JP GO! combiner.
http://www.toycollectors.com.au/blog/b970.jpg

And one of the combiner head-pieces... the good one too.
http://www.toycollectors.com.au/blog/b971.jpg

Noted before, but this is a photo of two of the three that now have broken jaws.
http://www.toycollectors.com.au/blog/b972.jpg

Kissplay Auto-trooper bonnet/head-cover, that leaves a big hole in car mode.
http://www.toycollectors.com.au/blog/b973.jpg

Side mirror snapped off the Alternity Skywarp, when it fell off the shelf.
http://www.toycollectors.com.au/blog/b974.jpg

TF2 (2010) Leader Starscream - brown plastic tab broken off the shoulder.
http://www.toycollectors.com.au/blog/b975.jpg

Alternity Megatron with a broken tail-light.
http://www.toycollectors.com.au/blog/b976.jpg

Two of my MP Convoy Megatron guns, broke rather easily at the rivet joint, as the plastic loop is rather thin and weak, so if it is tight, or gets tight as it gets older, it can break quite easily if you force it. Unfortunately for me, the brown version has only been released once.
http://www.toycollectors.com.au/blog/b977.jpg

And in the last week, a bumped into one of the display cases, knocking a couple toys off...
One of the capsule figurines, which I'm finding are very fragile for plastic. They seem to be as brittle as 20 year old sun-damaged rubber. And this was the only Shockwave I had too, as they were the hardest to find in the set of 12. :(
http://www.toycollectors.com.au/blog/b978.jpg

And my "noooooo" moment - the toy I only had for about two weeks, and paid US$40 for... JP Advanced Dino.
Some of my toys are posed in fancy poses, but means they fall over too easily... and this was one of them. :(
http://www.toycollectors.com.au/blog/b979.jpg

I hope that wasn't too painful for anyone... :p

Omega Metro
13th July 2014, 10:32 PM
Geez. Someone is rough with their toys.:eek::D;)

All mine are 'pristine' except Voyager Prime Bulkhead where I twisted a little flappy bit near the shoulder the wrong way and snapped split the ball joint.

christalcase
And my "noooooo" moment - the toy I only had for about two weeks, and paid US$40 for... JP Advanced Dino.
Some of my toys are posed in fancy poses, but means they fall over too easily... and this was one of them. :(
http://www.toycollectors.com.au/blog/b979.jpg

I hope that wasn't too painful for anyone... :p

I'm sorry, this one is my fault :(. Guess I owe you a new one...

griffin
Thought I forgot some, but I think I may have posted these somewhere else already...

The Choro Q Rodimus that I mentioned elsewhere already, but adding it in with the others here.
http://www.toycollectors.com.au/blog/b761.jpg

After breaking my Choro Q Rodimus, I finally ended up breaking the Megatron too. :(
http://www.toycollectors.com.au/blog/b798.jpg

Sinnertwin's gun and the whip handle of Cloudburst is broken, but not completely come apart.
http://www.toycollectors.com.au/blog/b785.jpg

Overkill's leg, and it is the reissue too... which might mean a flaw in the Reissue from the mould being degraded, or it was constructed differently.
http://www.toycollectors.com.au/blog/b786.jpg

griffin
13th July 2014, 10:34 PM
I'm sorry, this one is my fault :(. Guess I owe you a new one...

Nah, I let you do it, so it's not your fault.

And I should be more careful with where I walk to not bang into it to start with... :o

UltraMarginal
14th July 2014, 11:46 AM
Looks like there's been a battle royale at your place Griffin!!
Bummer about such a new figure breaking, time to start looking at realestate listings for large houses (http://www.realestate.com.au/buy/with-5-bedrooms-in-brisbane+-+greater+region,+qld/list-1?activeSort=price-asc) I think.;)

Ravagecat
14th July 2014, 02:26 PM
So much pain Griffin :eek::( My eyes are burning!!

:cool:...That's better :p

liegeprime
14th July 2014, 04:53 PM
OUCH, Wince and cringe!!

Well reading it with pictures actually is a bit painful griffin:o:p:eek::eek:, as for that broken G2 Terradive you have, I think Demonac had incomplete spares he was giving away with his for-sale stuff. I know I've taken a few Windrazor parts from him to replace yellowing and loose parts on mine. Not sure if he still has it or if someone has asked him for it already...

Which reminds me of two(edit) ... a few more I forgot, but Im not putting pics up hahah

Seeing that of griffin's pic...
The peg on the wing of Cicadacon on mine also snapped a few years back while tried to disassemble them to individual bot modes - much like what you had in the pic - didn't glue it but the little piece is stick inside the weapon assembly it was stuck in.

Also the tab on one of the ramps for Micromaster Missle Carrier snapped when I was disconnecting it from the body of the carrier, it's stuck in there til now. ;P

The sword handle of RM Star Saber Snapped while I was putting it in his hand, grrrr. glued it but I haven't played with it ever since. well a few times but haven't removed the sword from his hand since.:p

One member of the Skyboom minicon team - the race car minicon's head got lost while playing with it. The tabs holding it aren't big enough IMO to hold it well in place... couldn't find it, grrrr. So far I haven't been able to find a spare minicon that's just him... as they're usually sold in 3, darn...

MayzaPrime
14th July 2014, 07:58 PM
NOOOOOOO Why did I look at this thread :mad: It makes me sad :(

Now I remember what I have broken as an adult.

G1/G2 Pyro... Snapped in half around the waist.
G1 Micromaster Full Barrel... Snapped at the waist.
G2 Slingshot... Snapped his head.
Beast Wars Transmetal Megatron x 3 snapped the right arm joint. Yes I broke 3 in the exact same way, you think that I would learn. I am on my 4th BW Megatron.

My wife has managed to destroy.
The war within Optimus Prime statue :mad:

As a child
G1 Optimus Prime... A lot of battle damage.
G1 Ultra Magnus... Snapped the trailer arm off
G1 Prowl... Snapped the roof off
G1 Inferno... Broke the arm off
G1 Wheeljack... Broke the screw cover that holds his feet together.
G1 Blurr... Broke the head off

There is a lot more that I can't remember or I have just blocked it out because it was is to painful.

reillyd
14th July 2014, 08:34 PM
Diaclone Powerdasher Jet (Cromar) MOSC, and his wing / leg snapped off the -first- time I transformed him

AJ_Prime
14th July 2014, 10:39 PM
Gah! Just picked up a ROTF Stratosphere recently, straight out of the box I notice one of the joints (2nd knee joint) in one of his legs was so loose that it literally swung like a pendulum. I thought it was probably just a loose screw, so tightened it but it didn't make a difference. Shortly after I noticed that tightening the screw split the plastic around it.

Thankfully it's not too noticeable, just annoying. He still has a pendulum leg but if I stand him relatively straight the knee joint on his other leg is tight enough to hold him vertical.

Deonasis
14th July 2014, 11:17 PM
http://www.toycollectors.com.au/blog/b979.jpgI guess you will glue Mirage back together BUT if it isn't working out, look to the purple windows used for RotF Deadend. If it is close enough you could get the frame of that cheap toy painted red.

Sinnertwin
14th July 2014, 11:41 PM
That reminds me, must glue my Alternator Rodimus' door back on. He fell apart straight out of the box :(

SkyWarp91
15th July 2014, 10:41 AM
Bought a rare loose ROTF Voyager Megatron at a toy fair, turns out he'd already been in battle (and many so) because about 25% of him was missing even though he looked complete in robot mode (turns out the original had plenty of kibble on the back)

jazzcomp
15th July 2014, 03:57 PM
My TFC0 had 1 broken smokestack as I've said in the acquisition stuff awhile back. :)
MP-4 developed stress marks on the back cover in bot mode when he fell on the shelf and some scratches/paint damage due to falling as well.

A friend of my brother broke G1 Devastator and my folks threw all of his bits away.

Fingers of MP Soundwave and some fins from MP Acid Storm became loose and falling off quite easily so I had them replaced and now MISB instead :cool:

Magnus
23rd July 2014, 10:21 PM
Just off the top of my head...

G1 Inferno and Hot Spot had snapped ladders. Inferno also had a tab which holds his arm to the base of the ladder in vehicle mode snapped off.
G1 Prowl had taken a lot of punishment: broken roof/front windscreen, broken rear windscreen/shins, right arm snapped off at the shoulder. I possibly snapped the waist swivel, too - can't really remember.
G1 Silverbolt - broken hip hinge.
G2 Slag - gun handle snapped off.
G1 Optimus - rifle snapped in two, broken smokestack, leg snapped off, broken trailer door hinge, trailer drone support arm snapped off at the hinge.

klystron
27th July 2014, 09:27 PM
Argh! So this happened the other day.
Broken peg off Skywarp's wing.
I quite like combiners. And I quite like Beast Wars. So its fair to say that I'm quite fond of my Beast Wars combiners. Poor Magnaboss' arm section can't be formed properly.
Starting the hunt for a junker Skywarp/Silverbolt to fix this...

http://i61.tinypic.com/293af10.jpg

MayzaPrime
27th July 2014, 11:30 PM
Argh! So this happened the other day.
Broken peg off Skywarp's wing.
I quite like combiners. And I quite like Beast Wars. So its fair to say that I'm quite fond of my Beast Wars combiners. Poor Magnaboss' arm section can't be formed properly.
Starting the hunt for a junker Skywarp/Silverbolt to fix this...

http://i61.tinypic.com/293af10.jpg

Same thing happened to mine :(

Zommael
30th July 2014, 09:23 PM

I got a BW2 Magnaboss last year. Almost out of the package the attachment connecting the eagle head to the yellow hinge snapped. I managed to fix it, but needless to say I now treat Skywarp as though he's made of silk. It's a shame because Silverbolt was one of my favourite toys to play with back in the day and I was so happy to pick up this version for quite a good price. I guess I can only hope Hasbro relents on the Geewunniness of Combiner Wars and gives us a Magnaboss remake (Cybertron mode, maybe?).

kup
4th August 2014, 08:19 PM

I am pretty sure it's GPS.

griffin
10th August 2014, 05:25 PM
The Construct-Bots clip that was mentioned a little while back. Theses symbol ones are hard to remove with little to grab onto, and when they do come off, some are so tight that they break or stress.
http://www.toycollectors.com.au/blog/c015.jpg

And this is the Rescue Bots mini-dino Heatwave, who is supposed to be an auto-transforming toy (robot legs and arms move at the same time). I got it while I was in America, but since I've been back, someone has managed to misalign the internal cogs, preventing the legs from swinging down when folding open the robot arms (dino head). I can't get the cogs to reset, and it can't be opened up. I've had several people (including kids) playing with it since I got back, so have no idea who might have done it, to ask how easily it happens (to see if it is a design flaw, or they forced it). So be careful with this one if you get it... follow the instructions and don't force something that should be automatically moving.
http://www.toycollectors.com.au/blog/c016.jpg

Deonasis
10th August 2014, 07:55 PM
Heatwave noooo! I hope it was misaligned before I touched it :o

I guess he does not have screws if you can't open him up but he's cheap enough that I would practise using heat to get the pins out if I were local.

griffin
1st September 2014, 07:47 PM
Yet another Construct-Bots clip broken from its first unclipping (required to transform Beast Hunters Shockwave).

I'm surprised these have made it to a third series, as I can't imagine kids liking these too much because you need a fair bit of force on some of the clips (like the allegiance symbols), and the first clip that breaks would either put you off wanting any more, or have your mum not buy any more thinking that you broke your toy.http://www.toycollectors.com.au/blog/c175.jpg

1AZRAEL1
1st September 2014, 09:01 PM
I dropped my Alternator Shockwave a few days ago. Was giving him a dust with a brush whilst holding his arm. He decided to leave his arm in my hand and fall to the ground from a substantial height, and bits came off him and I screamed lol. Thankfully it was just a door panel that could pop back on.

aduthie1980
2nd September 2014, 05:46 AM
The Construct-Bots clip that was mentioned a little while back. Theses symbol ones are hard to remove with little to grab onto, and when they do come off, some are so tight that they break or stress.
http://www.toycollectors.com.au/blog/c015.jpg

And this is the Rescue Bots mini-dino Heatwave, who is supposed to be an auto-transforming toy (robot legs and arms move at the same time). I got it while I was in America, but since I've been back, someone has managed to misalign the internal cogs, preventing the legs from swinging down when folding open the robot arms (dino head). I can't get the cogs to reset, and it can't be opened up. I've had several people (including kids) playing with it since I got back, so have no idea who might have done it, to ask how easily it happens (to see if it is a design flaw, or they forced it). So be careful with this one if you get it... follow the instructions and don't force something that should be automatically moving.
http://www.toycollectors.com.au/blog/c016.jpg

Same thing happened with my son's one😡😡😡

Skullcruncher
2nd September 2014, 02:55 PM
It took me 4 weekends but my collection is packed up ready to move. A couple fell through my fingers only to be caught again before hitting the ground.

I'm sure a couple of boxes or figures will suffer battle damage on their journey to their new home :(

Sinnertwin
2nd September 2014, 07:49 PM
I'm sure a couple of boxes or figures will suffer battle damage on their journey to their new home :(

Here's to a hassle free move.
I just took a chunk of cardboard out of my TrU reissue Prime box with my nail. :( Damn :mad:

griffin
8th September 2014, 05:01 PM
I might have to stop touching my toys... :o

I recently got the JP Micron rainbow shield thingy (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Rainbow_Shield) (four colours of the one mould, that merge to form a star shaped shield). I built the four Microns and then combined them together a few weeks back, and today while putting away a number of toys, I decided to pull the weapon apart to put the Microns on their applicable shelf... thinking that I had already taken a photo of the combined mode for my collection page.
I remembered how hard it was to combine the four, so was trying to be careful pulling them apart... but not careful enough. :(
The leg clip for the yellow one snapped as the Shield finally yanked apart.
http://www.toycollectors.com.au/blog/c176.jpg
I might just glue it together in robot mode and leave it that way on the shelf.

(And now I find that I didn't end up taking a photo of it in combined form as I had thought.)

Sinnertwin
8th September 2014, 06:09 PM
Ouch. Poor little guy :(

SuspectimusPrime
9th September 2014, 10:38 AM
He's dead, Jim. But a bit of that Junkion goo (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Loctite-406-20g-20ml-Super-Glue-Instant-Adhesive-Free-Express-Shipping-/291166145712?pt=AU_Business_Industrial_Industrial_ Supply_MRO&hash=item43cadaccb0&_uhb=1) might do the trick. Like new, with a 90-day warranty.

griffin
9th September 2014, 01:00 PM
Awesome link... :D I keep forgetting to look for it. :o

KalEl
12th September 2014, 05:03 PM
Before I knew what GPS was, I had my beast wars megatron crumble in my hands :(

jamestan14
2nd October 2014, 09:47 AM
my MP laserbeak had one of it's guns break off :(. made sure I was extra careful with buzzsaw.

also my first hasbro MP rodimus had it's arm broken off when I pulled it from the original plastic packaging.. shredded right off the ratchet joint

Hursticon
5th October 2014, 11:33 PM
Before I knew what GPS was, I had my beast wars megatron crumble in my hands :(

Knew what it was but oh how I know that horrible-horrible feeling. :(

klystron
18th October 2014, 01:41 AM
Yeah, so this happened the other day.
Brand new for Xmas 1985.
I need a junker for parts...

http://i57.tinypic.com/33daz2e.jpg

Mythirax
18th October 2014, 02:23 AM
Yeah, so this happened the other day.
Brand new for Xmas 1985.
I need a junker for parts...

What are junkers for these guys worth :S I might have one somewhere.

griffin
18th October 2014, 03:07 AM
(snip)

Sinnertwin's gun ....
http://www.toycollectors.com.au/blog/b785.jpg

(snip)

I just got a second set of Gen1 Terrorcons to have the combined forms with the individual members, and the day I get the second set and start combining them, I fold down Sinnertwin's robot head to make him an arm of Abominus... and snap.
The same blue coloured plastic broke like my first one (which was its gun that broke) - so BEWARE of this figure if you have one.

http://www.toycollectors.com.au/blog/c216.jpg

Krayt
18th October 2014, 11:26 AM
Maybe it's his way of saying "I"m a leg, not an arm!!!"

And klystron, I think I have an astrotrain to junk too.... Had broken metal train parts, so legs should be fine

klystron
18th October 2014, 03:32 PM

And klystron, I think I have an astrotrain to junk too.... Had broken metal train parts, so legs should be fine

Sorry Griffin, but I agree with Krayt. I think Primus is punishing you for not using Sinnertwin as a leg.

@Krayt - post a photo (see Toy Scout thread) and let me know what you'd like for it.

What are junkers for these guys worth :S I might have one somewhere.

I honestly have no idea. Guess it depends on actual condition...
Post a pic if you like.

I got a "Toy Scout" thread so we dont hijack this one.
http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=19601

Cheers guys.

griffin
18th October 2014, 07:35 PM

I was too lazy to get up and look for an image of Abominus... and the "official" placing of the limbs wasn't as obvious or memorable as the earlier combiners, so I just picked parts and turned them into limbs.
If I did look at the Generations book, I probably would have gone by that format and Sinnertwin would have been a leg.
But then, it shouldn't break just from moving the head... and now I and others know that it must be a high-risk toy like gold plastic toys.

Demonac
18th October 2014, 07:39 PM
I'm onto my 3rd sinnertwin.
I wasn't taking any chances with it, so I opened it up and sanded the sides so it doesn't exert as much pressure.

SuspectimusPrime
19th October 2014, 10:51 AM
How strange? Is that blue plastic more brittle than most other non-gold plastics used in G1 TFs?

Sinnertwin
19th October 2014, 07:05 PM
How strange? Is that blue plastic more brittle than most other non-gold plastics used in G1 TFs?

i think it's more of a design flaw in the chest rather than a plastic issue.

griffin
19th October 2014, 08:17 PM
The gun post on my first one broke without any force, so I think the plastic is more brittle than others due to the colour additive... like most gold colour additives.

crainger
4th November 2014, 02:56 PM
I remember Christmas many years ago I got my Silverbolt to complete Superion. Was so happy. My cousin arrived for Christmas lunch, grabbed my Silverbolt and broke his leg off.

Was so pissed when Mum and Dad did nothing. They were pissed when I confronted my Aunt and Uncle myself. Apparently the way I said it the family were expecting a horse head to appear in a bed.

I really liked the Aerialbots.

griffin
23rd January 2015, 05:15 PM
I dug out my Gen1 Dragstrip for a photo-shoot with the new Generations Dragstrip, and found that one side of it was darker like it had been sun-damaged... and so was inside the driver's seat, which is covered by the engine in robot mode. Since my Dragstrip has been in robot mode and in the dark for over ten years (and I'd have no idea if it was ever on display in car mode before that for any lengthy period of time, let alone where the Sun could hit it), it makes me think that it might not take much sun exposure... and can take many years before the colour starts changing. :(

Like a ticking time-bomb that you can't prevent, and maybe like skin damage, in that it is said that the damage happens when you are a kid before you know or try to protect your skin, and no matter how much you look after it later, the damage has been done... and melanomas can pop up at any time.

Mythirax
24th January 2015, 01:30 PM
I dug out my Gen1 Dragstrip for a photo-shoot with the new Generations Dragstrip, and found that one side of it was darker like it had been sun-damaged... and so was inside the driver's seat, which is covered by the engine in robot mode. Since my Dragstrip has been in robot mode and in the dark for over ten years (and I'd have no idea if it was ever on display in car mode before that for any lengthy period of time, let alone where the Sun could hit it), it makes me think that it might not take much sun exposure... and can take many years before the colour starts changing. :(

Like a ticking time-bomb that you can't prevent, and maybe like skin damage, in that it is said that the damage happens when you are a kid before you know or try to protect your skin, and no matter how much you look after it later, the damage has been done... and melanomas can pop up at any time.

This always makes me sad, knowing that at some point my figures one way or another will probably start to discolor :( --- I have 2 G1 Grooves, both have pretty much been next to each other their whole life. Yet somehow one of them is still white and the other one is yellow. It makes no sense.

prjkt
24th January 2015, 08:17 PM
I havent really got many transformers broken beyond repair from my classics collection (the ones I display) - just a few tabs here and there missing - Hasbro FOC swindle's chest no longer tabs in on Altmode, broken one of two tabs on Whirl's split Chassis (still locks in to Alt mode though so i'ts ok) and broke Gen. Kup's head just enough that IT was flopping around like nuts. Replaced it with iGear kit and all was right in Kuptown.

Some of my G1/G2 toys from my childhood however, well whatever's left behind is not complete. Thunderclash is missing bits, G2 Bumblebee is missing a leg, and there are other various bits and pieces (much of which somehow ended up in with my Lego) I could probably set up a nice looking junkyard/torture chamber.

Jaxius._
30th May 2015, 09:38 AM
CW powerglides left tailfin snapped the plastic is incredibly thin by Hasbro standards (from what I have I stayed away from FOC)

Easy fix with glue.

Another would be my transmetal megatron a victim of GPS

Handsprime
30th May 2015, 09:48 AM
CW powerglides left tailfin snapped the plastic is incredibly thin by Hasbro standards (from what I have I stayed away from FOC)

Easy fix with glue.

Yeah my Powerglide is now missing that tailfin

In relation to transformers broken, a lot of my eariler transformers weren't given much care and some have either been thrown out, or got lost rolleyes: silly young me.

Jaxius._
27th June 2015, 09:22 AM
Well turns out energon scorponok suffers gps
:(

unicronsblood
27th June 2015, 05:59 PM
I got one, moved house and found out i broke my g1 thundercrackers cockpit, not just cracked but shattered. Sigh. Also dented the front of my misb g1 cyclonus. Was not happy....

SuspectimusPrime
29th June 2015, 12:47 AM
Well turns out energon scorponok suffers gps
:(

Ah crap, sorry to hear, he's one of my favs. Have you got any pics of the damage?

Jaxius._
5th July 2015, 07:14 PM

Easy fix with glue.

seems superglue is better than hasbros plastic as he fell when i knocked the shelf and the other fin snapped so i may as well buy another one

starscream23
5th July 2015, 08:00 PM
My MP5 dropped a screw and tiny piece of plastic, can't get it back on right now the upper body just falls back if you breathe on it, also inner leg red piece snapped. I think I'll have to buy a new one :(

UltraMarginal
8th July 2015, 10:58 PM
I had my original G1 Superion out on the coffee table this week to take a cuople pics with my new Takara Superion.

Mrs UltraMarginal accidentally knocked it off onto the floor tonight, it came to pieces, the only piece that broke was slingshots neck, clean off in superions shoulder.

she feels really bad because she knows what it means to me, and I'm pretty upset at myself for not shifting it back when I was done with it so an accident like this couldn't happen.

now I have to find an old slingshot I can junk to replace the head/neck/combiner joint in my one.

CHILENO20
9th July 2015, 09:31 AM
I had my original G1 Superion out on the coffee table this week to take a cuople pics with my new Takara Superion.

Mrs UltraMarginal accidentally knocked it off onto the floor tonight, it came to pieces, the only piece that broke was slingshots neck, clean off in superions shoulder.

she feels really bad because she knows what it means to me, and I'm pretty upset at myself for not shifting it back when I was done with it so an accident like this couldn't happen.

now I have to find an old slingshot I can junk to replace the head/neck/combiner joint in my one.

ouch :( hope you find one shortly dude

SuspectimusPrime
9th July 2015, 10:36 PM

Sorry to hear, but I do think you're pretty lucky not to have Silverbolt's terribly flimsy plastic thigh/hip joints snap off where the metal pin goes through.

griffin
10th July 2015, 10:29 PM
Two more toys off my "Fallen" list... with a replacement Beast Machines from popculturepooka (I'll have to be extra careful of the hips of this one, and probably never transform it), and RID Spychanger Mirage from BotCon (the gun post broke off in the fist-hole of my old one).

Unfortunately, my Beast Wars Megatron (dino) seems beyond repair without more significant surgery. The panel behind the robot head that becomes the dino chest has one of the panel "arms" broken, and both times I glued it back on with loctite, it would break off from it being too tight where it plugs in to allow it to move during transformation... so I'm going to have to file down one side so that it fits in enough without being too lose to fall out.

griffin
10th July 2015, 10:31 PM

At least it wasn't a Gen2 Slingshot... the Gen1 Aerialbots are fairly easy to find for a reasonable price.

BigTransformerTrev
16th July 2015, 01:49 PM
Not a toy but I got my 2 1/2 year old a Transformers Easter Pack this year, and last night while cleaning I dropped the plastic cup and a big crack went up the side :eek:. His first Transformers cup and his dad busted it on him :(

And to think, I've been worried about him breaking my TF stuff :o

Thurmus
16th July 2015, 01:59 PM
I just finished a repair. Dropped my Generations Springer and snapped one of the back fins off the peg that clips into the back spoiler.

Luckily was able to pull the peg out of the spoiler and glue it back on. the peg then snapped back in to the spoiler and has full motion again.

ampoldj
18th July 2015, 08:22 AM
My HFTD legends Ravage fell and broke one of its claws.
First time to transform my ROTF Desert Brawl and looks like the gears are already damaged and not working :eek:

griffin
22nd October 2015, 12:52 AM
For those with Alpha Bravo (and probably Blades, Vortex and the two Victorion members), this could be a point of weakness to be careful with - the front half of the legs have a tab that plugs into the body of the helicopter can take more force to unhitch it (transform to robot mode) than the plastic can bare.

http://www.toycollectors.com.au/blog/c995.jpg

I'll glue it back together, but his transforming days are probably over... which is probably okay because Slingshot replaced him as part of Superion when I combine them, and the helicopter mode is my least favourite Combiner vehicle.

UltimateGalvatron
22nd October 2015, 06:33 AM
That sucks.
I hope it doesn't happen on mine because I'm not getting Slingshot.

Jaxius._
25th October 2015, 11:44 AM
The little legends grooves thumb snapped off at one of the grooves in the finger (ironically)

He was holding a Construct-Bots gun which may be slightly to big for him

kup
5th November 2015, 12:42 PM
My Laser Rod Electro's legs exploded. I think the ankle pin was adding a bit too much pressure and the effect of GPS is basically to harden to a point that is no longer flexible like porcelain. I will have to set aside some time to glue him together and make minor mods to relieve any pressure from the 'plastic' (is it still plastic or did it chemically react into something else? - cetainly doesn't feel like plastic anymore)

CaminusPrime
16th January 2016, 12:13 AM
stuff that broke, all movie stuff when i started collecting years ago
-Movie Bumblebee (classics camaro) door broke off at the thin bit of plastic
ive got a replacement door from a KO that could fit. its just the paint and getting the pin out is the problem and its risky to to that because the plastic around the pin is cracked

-Movie Leader Optimus (this one was painful) gun broke off :(
I tried to glue it back together but that failed epically, i should probably unscrew it all and see if i can get it off and repair it

FatalityPitt
10th January 2017, 06:33 PM
A bit of a cautionary tale for those who own TR Scourge.

I recently took TR Scourge out of storage to test if the TM Nightbeat head would look decent good on him (FYI - it doesn't, and it doesn't even stay on). I store most of my Transformers in vehicle mode, so I had to Transform Scourge.

While trying to push the "spine" into the torso (as you would when transforming Scourge into a robot), I had difficulties getting it in. I figured something was stuck and started shaking it. It was then when I realized I forgot to take Fracas out of the cockpit prior to transformation!! :eek:

Fracas wasn't too badly damaged (legs detached from the body, but was easily popped back in), but now Scourge has a flattened nose! :(

If you're like me, and you sometimes forget to take your Headmaster/Titanmaster out of the cockpits prior to transformation; I recommend not storing Fracas in Scourge's cockpit over a long period. Instead keep him separate from the vehicle, or store Scourge in robot mode.

BruiseLee
10th January 2017, 06:53 PM
I snapped the legs off clean off my reissue God Ginrai transforming the cab to robot mode :(

Clicked in Ginrai and started to pull his legs down from the cab when the whole thing broke in half. The joints felt quite stiff and the plastic felt more brittle than my FGGG though which was strange. Some glue later and he's now going to be on permanent display in bot mode...

Deonasis
16th January 2017, 09:23 AM
I snapped the legs off clean off my reissue God Ginrai transforming the cab to robot mode :(

Clicked in Ginrai and started to pull his legs down from the cab when the whole thing broke in half. The joints felt quite stiff and the plastic felt more brittle than my FGGG though which was strange. Some glue later and he's now going to be on permanent display in bot mode...
Ouch! I only have a few Powermasters (OP, FGGG, Hydra/Buster) but I dread the unlocking gimmick bit. Maybe it is time I sand the clips down a little to ease to stress.

reillyd
18th January 2017, 06:32 PM
A bit of a cautionary tale for those who own TR Scourge.

I recently took TR Scourge out of storage to test if the TM Nightbeat head would look decent good on him (FYI - it doesn't, and it doesn't even stay on). I store most of my Transformers in vehicle mode, so I had to Transform Scourge.

While trying to push the "spine" into the torso (as you would when transforming Scourge into a robot), I had difficulties getting it in. I figured something was stuck and started shaking it. It was then when I realized I forgot to take Fracas out of the cockpit prior to transformation!! :eek:

Fracas wasn't too badly damaged (legs detached from the body, but was easily popped back in), but now Scourge has a flattened nose! :(

If you're like me, and you sometimes forget to take your Headmaster/Titanmaster out of the cockpits prior to transformation; I recommend not storing Fracas in Scourge's cockpit over a long period. Instead keep him separate from the vehicle, or store Scourge in robot mode.

I did the very same thing to my Scourge the first time I transformed him. It completely snapped the forehead thinky off his face (I told myself that makes him look more like a sweep, and so now have to buy a second one for Scourge)

vorox4251
7th March 2017, 12:04 PM
ive only had a couple of figures ever suffer major damage.
the supreme devastator from ROTF is one of them. one day while combining him, the connector for scrapper (within scrapper) broke as i tried to connect it, and luckily i was able to super glue it into a position that would allow it to still hold.
i have also had my ROTF sideways break, as the wings snapped, due to the nature of the clip being clear plastic, i asssume.
but the most recent one was TR galvatron. as i will admit, i generally have to cart things around in my bag, and walk places, and i, with the figure in the bag, was knocked back, fell over and landed on the bag, it also resulted in the destruction of my phone, but the major issue for the figure was that the hinge that holds the canopy on snapped. i have been fortunate enough to find some ways to keep it attached, but no permanent solution. the best i have found is to remove the pin and wedge the bar thae hinge was on into the rest of the hinge, or to place it within the square port in his back.
EDIT: i will add TR wolfwire as well. the back panel hinge shattered

griffin
30th April 2017, 10:18 PM
My TF4 1-step Galvatron.... the main gear for transforming the toy (you twist the top of the truck to transform it) snapped off, so now it can't transform, and doesn't look good in either mode (the front/chest must have been spring loaded, as it won't go down now).
There were so few Decepticon toys in the TF4 toyline, and one of them in my collection broke first.
Typical.

http://www.toycollectors.com.au/blog/d499.jpg

Thurmus
30th April 2017, 11:02 PM
From the video reviews, it looks like twisting it all the way will force the chest down, the the tab that locks in under the cab locks the twist mechanism from spinning back and holds it in place.

If you get pliers, can you twist the black tube on the back until the chest gets held flat?

griffin
27th January 2019, 08:45 PM
Rearranging several shelves of toys yesterday so that the Rescue Bots toys were all together... and POTP Optimus fell about a metre onto a hard surface...

http://www.toycollectors.com.au/blog/e947.jpg
Had to use pliers to straighten it back out, but it has left a light blue stress mark. :(

And this was my 6,000th toy in the collection too... :(

M-bot
27th January 2019, 09:19 PM
Rearranging several shelves of toys yesterday so that the Rescue Bots toys were all together... and POTP Optimus fell about a metre onto a hard surface...

http://www.toycollectors.com.au/blog/e947.jpg
Had to use pliers to straighten it back out, but it has left a light blue stress mark. :(

And this was my 6,000th toy in the collection too... :(

Get a hot hair dryer on that, stress marks should all but vanish, as well as soften the plastic enough to gently bend it back into shape.

snaketales
28th January 2019, 11:15 PM
If you can get the head off, an alternative would be putting it in a cup of just boiled water for 3-4 minutes until the plastic is slightly bendy, bend it into shape then put it in cold water to harden it.

That’s my preferred method - a past attempt at using a hairdryer warped some surrounding parts for me.

griffin
17th July 2021, 10:13 PM
A couple more losses to the collection...

The rubber hose on 20 year old "Universe" Bludgeon is now rock hard and brittle. (same as the rubbery accessories on the UK Actionmaster motorised vehicles)
I haven't checked the much older Gen2 Combat Heroes yet (the first release of these air-firing toys).

http://www.toycollectors.com.au/blog/f853.jpg

And the foam covering on the Rumble/Frenzy headphones (Music Label from Japan), also crumbled to dust, so I cleaned it all off (only took a damp cloth).

http://www.toycollectors.com.au/blog/f854.jpg

griffin
30th October 2021, 02:05 PM
Another tragic loss, just from transforming it for a photo-shoot... the original JP Beast Wars Halfshell (Snaptrap/Turtler mould) from 1998. Both back legs snapped at the joint because there was too much force needed to unlock the back legs from robot mode to turtle mode. It could be the colour dye in the plastic that has made it more brittle, or just because it is now a 23 year old toy... so just in case, I won't be risking transforming my original Gen1 Snaptrap ever again (from robot mode). I have the 2010 reissue, which I can still risk using, but probably not for much longer.
(it certainly supports the desire by some fans to buy multiple copies of toys to keep in their different modes and never transform)

http://www.toycollectors.com.au/blog/f867.jpg

Tetsuwan Convoy
30th October 2021, 07:59 PM
Ah, this is a sad story. Some of my G1s make terrifying creaking noises as they go.
Is there any safe way to, er, lube them up (nothing suss)

Skyfire
30th October 2021, 08:36 PM
Ah, this is a sad story. Some of my G1s make terrifying creaking noises as they go.

Ironically, KY jelly might actually be OK because it's water-based, as opposed to oil-based lubricants that might damage plastic or finish, which is why WD-40 isn't recommended. But if you want to go tried and tested, I believe shock oil (what they refill RC car shock absorbers with) e.g. Team Associated brand is the best.

griffin
30th October 2021, 10:53 PM

It wasn't the pin in the joint that was stuck, it was the plastic locking tab inside the hinge that was doing too good of a job, created too much resistance when moving the legs, so when the plastic weakens, it shattered.

griffin
7th November 2021, 01:37 AM
From a couple weeks ago, while transforming a lot of Ultra Magnus toys, this one didn't survive...

http://www.toycollectors.com.au/blog/f868.jpg

While uploading that one, it reminded me of another one recently - the Battlemaster that came with Siege Skywarp. I bumped it off the display case and it fell to the floor.... and as I instinctively stepped back to look for it, I managed to step in the one place on the entire floor that it had bounced to... breaking one of its legs.

http://www.toycollectors.com.au/blog/f864.jpg

Mach Alert
8th November 2021, 09:59 AM
wow a thread dating back to 8 years ago! i am impressed :)

i didn't read back and i am sure this one has been mentioned a few times but Masterpiece Rodimus Prime black version. knee joint snapped and i actually screamed...been fixed though. such a fragile beauty.
And G2 Flare Jet, gun handle broke off inside the fist.

i used to hear a lot about BW Neo Randy's gold plastic issue but mine is good so far *touch wood

Seraphim Prime
8th November 2021, 01:42 PM
i used to hear a lot about BW Neo Randy's gold plastic issue but mine is good so far *touch wood

We'll see how we go! I intend to be VERY gentle!

Ravagecat
8th November 2021, 01:48 PM
I used to hear a lot about BW Neo Randy's gold plastic issue but mine is good so far *touch wood

This video of Randy Being Crushed will bring a tear to your eye :p
https://youtu.be/qcjAUN5Ssj8?t=34

Mach Alert
8th November 2021, 07:34 PM
seraphim prime, cross fingers...maybe i will double check mine.

This video of Randy Being Crushed will bring a tear to your eye :p
https://youtu.be/qcjAUN5Ssj8?t=34

that man is a monster....

ChlorHex
10th November 2021, 05:09 PM
My BW2 Randy crumbled to bits in the box... only his white plastic limbs and head survived.

BW2 Longrack also started breaking on its own at the red plastic bits to the spring claw arm - pressure from the spring just cracked the red plastic while everything was sealed in the box.

That drove me quite nuts and I ended opening everything and then selling off the bulk of my BW2 collection for cheap back then.

My G1 stuff on the other hand... aside from the occasional yellowing, mostly are in great shape. Thank God!

snaketales
11th November 2021, 12:39 PM
A custom Robot Hero (the Starscream masquerade) decided to split in two overnight.
I found the torso on the floor but the legs still on the shelf this morning.
I guess the superglue gave out, so I've since given it a paperclip spine to try hold it together.

reillyd
16th November 2021, 09:24 PM

I wouldn?t recommend using personal lubricant, or engaging in any kinky play at all.
It might be hard to explain at the ER why you need Omega Supreme?s rocket mode removed

gamblor916
17th November 2021, 08:10 PM

Zippo lighter fluid. Also removes old stickers too.

Tetsuwan Convoy
18th November 2021, 04:09 PM
I wouldn?t recommend using personal lubricant, or engaging in any kinky play at all.
It might be hard to explain at the ER why you need Omega Supreme?s rocket mode removed
:D
It could be a nice creative writing exercise. Although TBH, I bet ER have come across much weirder circumstances.

klystron
23rd November 2021, 12:17 AM
BW2 Longrack also started breaking on its own at the red plastic bits to the spring claw arm - pressure from the spring just cracked the red plastic while everything was sealed in the box.

Argh! Stop it. You're scaring me. Longrack is one of my favourite figures.