PDA

View Full Version : Universe Armada Minicon Pack

kup
14th July 2008, 08:35 AM
I am not an Armada fan and hate minicons but I have to admit, this Universe Package looks impressive.

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/universe-classics-20-29/transformers-universe-k-mart-exclusive-minicon-12-pack-in-package-image-165360/

iceburn
14th July 2008, 09:02 AM
hmmm new style packaging. very impressive indeed
wonder how much it would cost here

STL
14th July 2008, 09:02 AM
I wonder if any of those molds are the weapons ones. They're the reason I like mini-cons. :D

liegeprime
14th July 2008, 09:34 AM
Unfortunately STL the minicon molds used are the more recent ones in Classics recolored and refactioned...

I like the packaging 12 in one go, makes it easier to find all and not missing on a specific team. Theyd prolly cost double as usual. hmmm Im gonna need a separate new 3 tier shelf for my minicons then. The usual one long shelf space was barely enough coz i have them displayed in their alt mode.

i_amtrunks
14th July 2008, 09:43 AM
It's some very nice packaging, something that Hasbro have been doing better and better of late.

Too bad the minicons included in the pack are the Classics ones, and that many of them are fairly bland repaints. The weapon Minicons or even the Armada teams that made up the Sabre, Blaster and shield would have been preferred over the Classics versions.

Pulse
14th July 2008, 09:52 AM
Goddamnit! That looks pretty sweet!

As if anyone would actually take those Minicons out of the packaging... :D

griffin
14th July 2008, 01:11 PM
sheepishly raises hand... :p

GoktimusPrime
14th July 2008, 01:29 PM
http://www.transformertoys.co.uk/img/transformers-toys/beastwars/transmetal/megatron/preview.jpg "New packaging, same product: losers!"

:p :D :p

(I'm pretty "meh" about these)

MV75
14th July 2008, 01:36 PM
That packaging rocks.

Now, if only they reissued g1 devastator like that.....
________
CALIFORNIA MEDICAL MARIJUANA (http://california.dispensaries.org/)

autobreadticon
14th July 2008, 01:45 PM
the packaging you can hang up like a piece of art, as for the recolour, lazy and boring, i prefer the classics colour. Doesnt matter if the teams have specific colours to id them still lame..

kup
14th July 2008, 01:54 PM
the packaging you can hang up like a piece of art, as for the recolour, lazy and boring, i prefer the classics colour. Doesnt matter if the teams have specific colours to id them still lame..

Yeah the contents suck but the packaging is awesome. I won't get it because I hate minicons but the packaging is impressive.

Pulse
14th July 2008, 03:34 PM
sheepishly raises hand... :p

http://op-for.com/simpsons_nelson_haha2.jpg

:D

Zippo
14th July 2008, 06:04 PM
DOes look nice, but I pass anyways.

dirge
14th July 2008, 09:34 PM
A nice display piece, but gee slapping the "Armada" tag on there is (typically) lazy and uninterested.

STL
14th July 2008, 09:44 PM
http://www.transformertoys.co.uk/img/transformers-toys/beastwars/transmetal/megatron/preview.jpg "New packaging, same product: losers!"

:p :D :p

(I'm pretty "meh" about these)

*High Five!*

Golden Phoenix
14th July 2008, 10:36 PM

Lol

The only reason I would open that is to replace them with better figures and use the box as a display case

FFN
14th July 2008, 11:54 PM
I wonder if any of those molds are the weapons ones. They're the reason I like mini-cons. :D
It's some very nice packaging, something that Hasbro have been doing better and better of late.

Too bad the minicons included in the pack are the Classics ones, and that many of them are fairly bland repaints. The weapon Minicons or even the Armada teams that made up the Sabre, Blaster and shield would have been preferred over the Classics versions. I believe Hasbro/Takara said the molds for the Armada-era Mini-Cons are not in the best condition due to usage by both companies.

A nice display piece, but gee slapping the "Armada" tag on there is (typically) lazy and uninterested. Typically lazy? I think not.

These Mini-Con molds were never intended for the 2006 Classics line, but like the Real Gear Robots, they were originally made for the Cybertron Mini-Con 2 packs (that's why some teams were a little weird). So in terms of continuity they were originally intended to be Unicron Trilogy toys.

Since Mini-Cons are representative of the Armada era, they go under the Armada subtitle in Universe. The same will likely go for the 25th Anniversary new-mold Armada Hot Shot coming next year.

dirge
15th July 2008, 08:15 PM
Typically lazy? I think not.

Dude... have you ever looked at some of the Universe repaints? Take Razorclaw for example. They stripped him of chrome, changed allegiances without worrying about the logo on his chest and sold him for the same price despite the loss of chrome.

These Mini-Con molds were never intended for the 2006 Classics line, but like the Real Gear Robots, they were originally made for the Cybertron Mini-Con 2 packs (that's why some teams were a little weird). So in terms of continuity they were originally intended to be Unicron Trilogy toys.

Guess what - they're not Unicron Trilogy toys. It's not like these toys appeared in Armada - in fact they were first released several years _after_ Armada. So calling them Armada when they're now Classics moulds just doesn't work.

You don't see people referring to the unreleased G2 Spychanger moulds (Daytonus) etc as G2 toys, do you? They're associated with RiD.

Since Mini-Cons are representative of the Armada era, they go under the Armada subtitle in Universe.

Yes, but only because there's no pride in 95% of Hasbro's repaints

FFN
16th July 2008, 08:18 PM
Dude... have you ever looked at some of the Universe repaints? Take Razorclaw for example. They stripped him of chrome, changed allegiances without worrying about the logo on his chest and sold him for the same price despite the loss of chrome.

Yes, but only because there's no pride in 95% of Hasbro's repaints Then its fortunate that the early Universe (2003) line was not actually done by Hasbro's Transformers team.

Much of Hasbro's redecos in the past five years have been more or less similar to Takara's, and I challenge you not to find heart in the redecos Joe Kyde does.

Guess what - they're not Unicron Trilogy toys. It's not like these toys appeared in Armada - in fact they were first released several years _after_ Armada. So calling them Armada when they're now Classics moulds just doesn't work.

You don't see people referring to the unreleased G2 Spychanger moulds (Daytonus) etc as G2 toys, do you? They're associated with RiD. Doesn't matter. Thematically Mini-Cons are associated with Armada (given that's where they mostly appeared in), just as Energon stuff is associated with Energon and Cyber Keys are with Cybertron. Given how successful the Armada line was (in spite of collector hatred), it would be safe to assume that there is a large portion of the public that still associate Mini-Cons with Transformers Armada.

GoktimusPrime
16th July 2008, 08:49 PM
That's a matter of preferencial perception - the fact is that they're not part of the Armada line. Just as Universe Razorclaw, Nemesis Prime and Depth Charge are not part of the Beast Wars line.

Demonac
16th July 2008, 08:50 PM
I don't consider the 'classics' "minicons" to even be minicons.
They don't have the molded minicon insignia on them.

MV75
16th July 2008, 09:13 PM
Who really cares though? Minicons suck the biggest arse, and the only set not to are the cybertron minicon recon team.

I've got all of the minicon sets released through cybertron, so I have a pretty good idea on how to rate them. :D And yea, the combiner/weapon ones are the worst for falling to bits.
________
Ford Ltd (North America) Picture (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_LTD_(North_America))

dirge
16th July 2008, 09:29 PM
Then its fortunate that the early Universe (2003) line was not actually done by Hasbro's Transformers team.

If they were, you have to wonder who sewed their eyes shut :eek:

Much of Hasbro's redecos in the past five years have been more or less similar to Takara's, and I challenge you not to find heart in the redecos Joe Kyde does.

Oh yeah, Kyde's repaints are great. It's a shame that the remainder of them are so uninspired.

GoktimusPrime
16th July 2008, 11:32 PM
I consider the Classics Minicons to be just that - Classics Minicons (i.e.: that they are Mini-Cons and part of the Classics line). It's as simple as that. Similar to how a lot of people would still classify the Universe Micromaster gestalts as Micromasters even though Hasbro didn't specifically call them that during Universe and at the same time they're not technically part of G1 (they're essentially reissues repackaged and in cases repainted). Also, official canon makes the Classics Minicons part of the Classics universe (which takes place as an alternate off shoot from the G1 comics instead of Generation 2), clearly portraying them as being in a different continuity from the Armadaverse.

roller
16th July 2008, 11:41 PM
I consider the Classics Minicons to be just that - Classics Minicons (i.e.: that they are Mini-Cons and part of the Classics line). It's as simple as that. Similar to how a lot of people would still classify the Universe Micromaster gestalts as Micromasters even though Hasbro didn't specifically call them that during Universe and at the same time they're not technically part of G1 (they're essentially reissues repackaged and in cases repainted). Also, official canon makes the Classics Minicons part of the Classics universe (which takes place as an alternate off shoot from the G1 comics instead of Generation 2), clearly portraying them as being in a different continuity from the Armadaverse.

Exactly, read "Games of Deception" for the origin of the "Classics" minicons

STL
17th July 2008, 12:01 AM
Exactly, read "Games of Deception" for the origin of the "Classics" minicons

I've read it but for the life of me, I can't remember.

- STL, surprised by how much conversation Mini-Cons can start :confused::rolleyes::D

kup
17th July 2008, 08:21 AM
The Classics comic is rather poor but the minicon bit at the end involving the Last Autobot is rather interesting. A shame that it omits G2 and Marvel UK though.

Now, as discussed to death, yeah those Minicons do not belong in the Armada verse, nameslapping them like that is a typical Archer/Hasbro lazy move.

Its not a good thing when people accept everything a company does no matter how bad or lazy as it doesn't encourage them to improve. Hasbro knows that the majority of fans are accepting their stuff like candy no matter how bad and that is why they are unashamedly lazy on repaints and the quality of their products.

The Animated line is an example of this lazy 'uninterested' approach that Hasbro has and I am not referring about the style, design or cartoon. It was a real shame that a 'Repair Guide' had to be produced within the same week the toys were released in the US.

GoktimusPrime
18th July 2008, 09:40 PM
Further discussion of Universe & continuity here (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?p=33925#post33925).