PDA

View Full Version : The best Generations figures

Starscream77
3rd May 2013, 10:35 PM
Just been rearranging my Generations shelves and enjoying some toys I haven't touched for a while and it got me thinking about which are my favorites.
Interested to hear what you guys would say are the best let's say 3 Generations toys released (and yes including classic and henkei lines)

Oh and judging just purely on display

Starscream77
3rd May 2013, 10:59 PM
Oops didn't even write my own...
Henkei Skywarp
Universe Roadbuster
Generations Wheeljack

Honorable mentions to
Universe Skyfire
All the seekers
And the prowl/smokescreen/ bluestreak mold

liegeprime
3rd May 2013, 11:27 PM
Jazz/ Stepper
Tracks/WJ/ Runamuck and Runabout
Thunderwing

honourable mentions

Lugnut
Hound
Asrtrotrain (Henkei version)

CBratron
4th May 2013, 03:16 AM
I don't own enough generations to narrow it down to three so I'll just list my fave.
Blurr (Henkei for the shiny, shiny paintjob).

Seraphim Prime
4th May 2013, 07:21 AM
Trying to narrow it to 3 is difficult! But I'd have to say

Generations Drift
Generations Wheeljack
RTS Jazz

Special mentions go to
Classics Optimus Prime
Classics Megatron
Generations Skyshadow
Universe Sideswipe
Generations Kup
Generations Scourge

sideswipes brother
4th May 2013, 08:32 AM
Have to go with:

TT Tracks
TT Jazz
TT Blurr

Honerable mentions to Generations Wheeljack, Thrust, Dirge and Lugnut.

In all honesty, i absolutely loved this line both TT and Hasbro. Choosing 3 favs was a tough choice.

Soundwarp
4th May 2013, 08:50 AM
Man they are all pretty darn awesome!

Gouki
4th May 2013, 09:08 AM
The biggest drawback for Jazz is that his chest doesn't lock in. If it weren't for that it'd be hard to beat. Windcharger is also a great figure that kind of popped up out of nowhere.

Sky Shadow
4th May 2013, 10:12 AM
United Lugnut,
Reveal The Shield Lugnut and
The Bard of Darkmount.

Honourable Mentions: Darkside Megatron, Hunt For The Decepticons Sea Spray, Reveal The Shield Mindset, Timelines Ironhide, Universe Ironhide, Games of Decepticon Dreadwind, Generations Sky Shadow, Voyager Shattered Glass Optimus Prime and Shattered Glass Drift.

GoktimusPrime
4th May 2013, 01:17 PM
Aaah, they're all so good it's hard to narrow it down.

I'd go...
+ Classics Optimus Prime
+ Henkei Megatron
+ Classics Jetfire

5FDP
4th May 2013, 05:42 PM
My favourites would be -

Henkei Tracks
Henkei Jazz
Classics Jetfire
Classics Cyclonus
Henkei Astrotrain

Really, you can't go too wrong sticking with this line.

Sam
4th May 2013, 10:01 PM
My favourite would have to be Classics Jetfire.

liegeprime
4th May 2013, 11:00 PM
Oh jeez I forgot all about Cyclonus!!... so take Thunderwing down to special mentions in my list and replace with Cyclonus. uber poseable and a TMN partner with elbows too! Though I prefer the purple colors cheme with the Rodimus 2 pack.

Gasaraki
5th May 2013, 12:57 AM
Interesting thoughts... to pick the best out of Classics/Universe/RTS/Generations...

My top three:
1. Classics Jetfire - I keep going back to this guy! With more modern design, he'd have better feet, but even from 2006, this is one awesome figure!
2. Universe Cyclonus - Pretty much my fav character, so I'm biased, but this toy is a superb update. Prefer the Battle in Space 2-pack colors myself.
3. Universe Sideswipe - so well executed, and we got Sunstreaker and Red Alert as well!

So few mentions have been from actual Generations line... if I had to pick from there, top 3 would be:
1. Drift - I'm a bit of race junkie, and this just plays too well to recent stuff in other media (Initial-D, F&F Tokyo Drift, NFS games, etc).
2. Cybertronian Bumblebee - Really love both the car and robot modes here, plus the current comic look is based on this guy (urrr... I think we got a game as well...).
3. Thundercracker - I mention this version of an old mold coz I think he looks like best out of the six G1 seekers I have (http://otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?p=348652#post348652).

Honorable mentions:
Classics Optimus Prime (of course!)
Universe Smokescreen (for the colours)
Universe Hound (near perfect!)
RTS Tracks
Generations Kup

I think it says a lot that nobody has mentioned any of the Fall of Cybertron figures!

Sinnertwin
5th May 2013, 10:09 AM
Cyclonus
Hound
Starscream Seeker mold. Thundercracker's my current favourite

GoktimusPrime
5th May 2013, 11:17 AM
I think it says a lot that nobody has mentioned any of the Fall of Cybertron figures!
+1. Toys that are made as toys > toys 'reverse engineered' from a screen model IMHO. :)

llamatron
5th May 2013, 12:23 PM
Given that you asked in terms if display...

1) henkei astrotrain
2) BiS cyclonus
3) classics jetfire

Overall I might rank a bit different, but these 3 are probably my favs for display.

Sky Shadow
5th May 2013, 01:49 PM

Darkside Megatron was my fourth favourite - third if I only count Lugnut once. :) (I guess the War For Cybertron was better than the Fall?)

Bidoofdude
5th May 2013, 02:26 PM
For me, it'd have to be:
RTS Cyclonus
Ace Seeker Starscream (lovely :cool::))
United Megatron (silver gun)

Honourable mentions to Gens foc Magnus, Cybertronian Megatron and United Rumble/Frenzy. :cool:;)

Ultra Mackness
5th May 2013, 04:24 PM
I think the whole Generations line was pretty well done, but a few really stuck out as faves for me:

1.) Wheeljack - great colour scheme, clever transformation and my favorite character! :)

2.) Jetfire - great update of the classic figure, love the use of a helmet to transitiion between the original figure's look and having a face like skyfire from the G1 cartoon

3.) Warpath - he's a tank. Yes he has Popeye arms, but he's a tank! :)

spiderken17
5th May 2013, 08:01 PM
I love the Hot Spot/Inferno/Grapple mould and Tracks.
Lets not forget all the Seekers which are fantastic.

The Scream Man
5th May 2013, 09:06 PM
My three are (In no order):
1) Jazz - yeah, the lack of a locking chest is a bummer, but otherwise a wonderful toy.
2) Warpath - Amazing in both modes, a dream to Transform. Still one i play with the most.
3) Mirage - One of the first and still one of the best. I love the articulation and futuristic
sports car look.

its funny though how so many of my favorites have third party editions. From Reprolabels to add on head and weapons, alot of my favorite guys have work done to them. The three above are all without adition (though i plan to get repros for Jazz and Mirage sometime, they just arent a priority).

Deonasis
5th May 2013, 10:29 PM
In no order..

Darkside Megatron - nice figure and the most wicked colours
Classics Megatron - the fantastically asymmetrical, fun, and yet complex transformation makes up for any other gripes.
Generations Warpath - I got them all out of boxes a week ago and Warpath is the one sticking in my head right now. He is a very fun and poseable figure.

Honourable mentions

Mi
Nope. I certainly can name more but I'll stick to the cruel brief ;)

Gouki
6th May 2013, 08:06 AM
3) Mirage - One of the first and still one of the best. I love the articulation and futuristic
sports car look. .

Oh yes, definitely. Mirage is a top figure that has kind of been forgotten (designed by an Aussie, too, I believe). So sleek and poseable.

GoktimusPrime
6th May 2013, 03:26 PM
I wouldn't say forgotten... it was just damn hard picking a "top 3" out of a line up of such excellent toys! I find trying to pick my best 3 Classicsverse toys is like putting 50 Chuck Norrises in a cage and guessing which 3 would win! :p But you're right, Mirage is a damn fine toy. :D

UltraMarginal
6th May 2013, 03:46 PM
there are so many great molds in these lines.
some great transformations, but my favorites with regards to displaying:

Lugnut: the alt mode is very close to a real aircraft. there aren't a lot of aircraft based trasformers out there that look good in both modes with very little unused kibble. Lugnut is right up there.

Warpath: Apart from the fact that I love the transformation, both modes of this guy are very complete, clean and seamless.

Junkions: I've listed 2 here, simply because you need two so one can ride the other. The bikes look great, the robot modes look great and the fact that you can easily set them up to be in a riding pose, just like they were in the movie is brilliant, and while it looks a bit cramped it looks great on the shelf.

Honourable mentions go to
drift One of few who can hold a sword double handed, unfortunately his swords plastic is a little soft and bends badly in this pose after a short while.
United Jazz. a very nice rendition of Jazz, the paintwork and colours are very nice.

Gasaraki
7th May 2013, 01:31 AM
Darkside Megatron was my fourth favourite - third if I only count Lugnut once. :) (I guess the War For Cybertron was better than the Fall?)

Oh yeah, I totally reckon FOC took some pretty big steps backward compared to WFC figures not so long prior (of which we only got 5 in retail I think)... I've read and heard many times the FOC figures reflect real-world economy at work, e.g. rising cost of plastics, transport, etc.

For me, it'd have to be:
RTS Cyclonus
Ace Seeker Starscream (lovely :cool::))
United Megatron (silver gun)

I'm surprised you list United Megatron over Henkei ver... I don't own the United one, but in pics Henkei seems to look better. Is it different in person??

UltraMarginal
7th May 2013, 10:08 AM
I do like the FOC figures, they just don't make it into my top 3 for display.
The Magnus is excellent.
Bruticus is a marvel of engineering design, four of the five figures are effectively quad changers and manage to look close to screen representation in all modes, that's pretty impressive in my book.
Starscream is simple but nice, I'd buy a skywarp and thundercracker in that mold for sure.

Jazz and Sideswipe are OK, they aren't great but they aren't that bad. I really dig shockwave, his legs are a bit spindly but otherwise he does look good and it's a simple elegant transformation. the fact that you can fold down his hand and attach his gun to his arm is a very nice touch.

5FDP
7th May 2013, 11:51 AM
I really dig shockwave, his legs are a bit spindly but otherwise he does look good and it's a simple elegant transformation. the fact that you can fold down his hand and attach his gun to his arm is a very nice touch.

He's definitely the best Shockwave toy we've received in recent memory and probably won't be surpassed until the MP is released ;) :cool:

Paulbot
7th May 2013, 12:46 PM
Hmm, I think:
WFC Optimus Prime
Sideswipe
Scourge

Has no one else mentioned WFC Optimus Prime? That's a great, complex, figure.

Honourable mention to Cyclonus (fantastically awesome robot mode but the legs in vehicle mode let it down) and the Seeker mould (since I have over a dozen of it!).

Bartrim
7th May 2013, 12:52 PM
Man they are all pretty darn awesome!

Totally agree man. But if I had to list my three favourites, atm I would go with

Drift
Lugnut
Tracks (The Takara one. I love the colour and the flame and everything was perfect for him)

UltraMarginal
7th May 2013, 03:49 PM
Hmm, I think:
WFC Optimus Prime
Sideswipe
Scourge

Has no one else mentioned WFC Optimus Prime? That's a great, complex, figure.

Honourable mention to Cyclonus (fantastically awesome robot mode but the legs in vehicle mode let it down) and the Seeker mould (since I have over a dozen of it!).

I totally agree with you on Cyclonus, if the back half of the vehicle mode ws a little more solid it'd be higher up in my list too.

WFC prime is a great figure, but compared to some of the others I've listed, I don't think it displays as well. it is a great toy though, I really like the transformation also.

GoktimusPrime
7th May 2013, 04:55 PM
WFC is a good figure... don't know about 'great'. Some of his panels don't lock in very well (e.g. top shoulder panels and waist plate) which tend to easily dislocate during play. :( Drift has the same problem with his lower legs. I like toys that are nice and solid in robot mode allowing it to be played with well as an action figure (which is after all its core function).

UltraMarginal
7th May 2013, 05:31 PM
WFC is a good figure... don't know about 'great'. Some of his panels don't lock in very well (e.g. top shoulder panels and waist plate) which tend to easily dislocate during play. :( Drift has the same problem with his lower legs. I like toys that are nice and solid in robot mode allowing it to be played with well as an action figure (which is after all its core function).

"Great" for my purposes.:D

transform, pose, put on shelf, admire.
transform, put on shelf, admire.
transform, pose punching Megatron in the goolies, put on shelf, admire.

Lordy
7th May 2013, 06:22 PM
My three faves are:

Generations Cyclonus: He looks almost like the TV version, but with the darker purple of the toy. Just wish it was a bit bigger

Henkei Tracks: Has the proper flame logo on the bonnet like the G1 version.

Henkei Smokescreen: Because I am biased, I try to have each type of Smokescreen released. The Henkei version is closer to the G1 version, with the same colours, unlike the Generations version.

tinyJazz
7th May 2013, 07:23 PM
I started collecting because of this line, well, mainly classics and universe 2.0, but it all falls under the same umbrella. I blame Rodimus!
My three favourites for display, in order, would be:

United Jazz - Chalk another one up for this guy! The best representation of G1 Jazz to date. He looks extra sharp thanks to the metallic details. Solid silhouette.
United Stepper - Basically flawless. Striking deco and details, love the colours. Displays perfect.
Henkei Smokescreen - Classic transformer form with an interesting and understated colourscheme. Just lovely.

To strictly talk about Generations only figures, I'd go with Thundercracker, Thunderwing and Thunder Sky Shadow.

Honestly though, this line has so many awesome figures. I'm in agreement with a lot of people's choices so far. Lugnut, Mirage, Cyclonus, Tracks are all fantastic too. Gosh, us ozformers have got some good taste! ;)

I'm surprised you list United Megatron over Henkei ver... I don't own the United one, but in pics Henkei seems to look better. Is it different in person??

Slightly different. Alfes2010 has some good comparison shots on his blog (http://higekumatoytoy.blog60.fc2.com/blog-entry-980.html). I think United looks a little nicer as it's missing the weird red/orange paint apps. Although, he could do with getting his "angry eyebrows" back. :D Sorry for cutting in Bidoof.

The biggest drawback for Jazz is that his chest doesn't lock in. If it weren't for that it'd be hard to beat.

Yes! This is super annoying on the RTS version, as with the Gift set redeco. They fixed this on the United Jazz though. I don't know how, but it works.

Omega Metro
7th May 2013, 08:18 PM
I really like them all. Except WFC Bumblebee which I have thrown against the wall numerous times!:mad: but It's hard to pick the best. :confused:

crankcase76
7th May 2013, 08:49 PM
My top 3 would have to be:

1. Thunderwing, love the mould and has that G1 look.
2. Drift, looks totally cool and with the comic to go with him.
3. Kup, especially with the third party head. The one with the cigar. :)

UltraMarginal
7th May 2013, 09:52 PM
My top 3 would have to be:

1. Thunderwing, love the mould and has that G1 look.
2. Drift, looks totally cool and with the comic to go with him.
3. Kup, especially with the third party head. The one with the cigar. :)

ahem <cygar>:rolleyes::D

Stug
7th May 2013, 11:48 PM
Looking at my display (recognising I have them all in robot mode) I nominate:

Cyclonus (I think it's the Challenge at Cybertron one I have out),
RTS Jazz
Classics Jetfire.

I would have included Mirage too, but the list was... full.

Gouki
8th May 2013, 05:43 AM
Except for the size, I find FOC Optimus to be better than WFC in pretty much every aspect.

BigTransformerTrev
8th May 2013, 10:30 AM
My three fav's

Cyclonus
Jetfire
Jazz

.... no wait

Wreck Gar
Wheeljack
Warpath

... no wait

Scourge
Blurr
Darkmount

.... bah - too hard! I love them all! Besides G1 the one toyline I want to completely collect

Ravagecat
8th May 2013, 12:55 PM
So many to choose...As some have said, some many awesome figures/molds to choose from :D

Stepper/Jazz - stepper is my fav from this mold
Artfire/Grapple/Inferno - Artfire would be my fav combination/colour of this mold
Tracks/Wheeljack/Runamuck/Runabout - Tracks would be my fav, but love all the renditions of this mold.

GoktimusPrime
8th May 2013, 02:05 PM
I find the Jazz mould to be nice - but I really don't like how the chest can't properly lock in and it keeps flopping out during play. :( And they don't seem to have fixed this issue w/ Stepper or Wheelie. :(

Similarly I find the Inferno mould to be very nice too, but I'm not a huge fan of how the waist plate sits over the lap and makes it awkward to lift the legs up. :( It's not as bad as the chest issue on Jazz though. Cosmetically I find Henkei Inferno to be the best looking version of that mould. The colours on Artfire, while well executed, is just a rather bizzare colour scheme (as was the original G1 Artfire -- if I didn't know any better I'd swear it t'were a knockoff!). But Pyro would be the least best looking use of that mould (and again, intentionally so ;)).

...but I don't dislike either the Jazz or Inferno mould, I do think they're great... but just that those ones have their drawbacks. :o

The Tracks/Wheeljack mould is fantastic. A real clever way to use that same mould for two different looking Transformers. :)

The Scream Man
8th May 2013, 07:57 PM
I always found the Wheeljack/Tracks mold a little short. Its less noticeable with Tracks, But wheeljack feels very stump to me.

GoktimusPrime
8th May 2013, 08:16 PM
I always found the Wheeljack/Tracks mold a little short. Its less noticeable with Tracks, But wheeljack feels very stump to me.
Which suits Wheeljack just fine - the original Wheeljack has a rather stumpy build (with uber long gorilla like arms :p)

Ultra Mackness
8th May 2013, 09:40 PM
I didn't think of them earlier, but what about the minibots? I should have given honorable mentions to Cosmos and Beachcomber! Especially Cosmos was a fantastic update and such a cute little UFO!

Gasaraki
8th May 2013, 10:20 PM

As I understand it, this was a deliberate design difference... Tracks doesn't just look taller, he actually IS taller (see this review (http://yotsuyasreviews.weebly.com/tracks--wheeljack.html)). They incorporate a different bit in the thigh bit to make the leg able to lengthen. Works OK I think, but I would've preferred a taller Wheeljack myself.

doublespy
8th May 2013, 10:26 PM
Judging by display value only, hmm...I actually like the WFC figures for the vehicle mode display. Bumblebee and Prime look very good in vehicle modes.

My top 3 would be:
-Generations Voyager Springer. Looks great in all 3 modes. Great articualtion for action pose and the 2 weapons give you lots of posing options.
-RtS Wreck-Gar. Him riding a junkion bike. 'Nuff said:D
-Drift. Car mode is a bit too big among fellow deluxe cars but I display him in robot mode anyway. Articulation is a bit limited on the shoulders and no waist joint. But you can not really ask for more when he can dual-wield that "second to non under heaven" thing can ya.

Honorable mention:
-RtS Jazz. I painted some details on him and put an Autobot badge on the hood. Displays well in both modes.
-Scourge with his sweeps. The cape really does it for me:o

GoktimusPrime
8th May 2013, 10:31 PM
Especially Cosmos was a fantastic update and such a cute little UFO!
Who was never released here! :mad: :(

seespotrun
9th May 2013, 10:24 PM
For display, my top three would be:

Thundercracker. The seeker mould looks great in robot mode. If only they could close the holes underneath alt mode, it would be a perfect jetformer. I like Thundercracker's deep blue the most.
Bluestreak. Nice colours. Double-jointed knees mean you can get him into poses that Jetfire could only dream of.
Warpath. Awesome head placement.
http://i.imgur.com/ZI824Kb.jpg (http://imgur.com/ZI824Kb)