PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Predaking repaint

lancalot
19th May 2013, 10:46 PM
I just got this figure a few days ago and had to repaint him, he a figgin dragon! ..i look at the show colours of him and he mostly black with yellow highlights..he also has orange on the tip of the armor so in incorporated that his his robot mode and just left the arms and legs orange as the toy as i didnt want to paint it black .....he was quite fast to do because the base colour was already on :) ,he didn't really have much pieces and a big plus is he is large !!

http://imageshack.us/a/img542/3542/a9medium.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img267/6708/a7medium.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img441/5852/a6medium.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img96/4661/a4medium.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img594/8899/a3medium.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img526/1171/a2medium.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img59/15/a1medium.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img59/6633/amedium.jpg

Golden Phoenix
19th May 2013, 10:51 PM
Don't mind me. I'm just picking my jaw up off the floor.

Omega Metro
19th May 2013, 11:56 PM
Wow! That's amazing. :eek:

Trent
20th May 2013, 07:31 AM
That looks fantastic dude! That's a fine talent you have there!

Danzvader78
20th May 2013, 09:47 AM
That's beautiful work.. How did you do the art work.. Spray pressure painting?

liegeprime
20th May 2013, 10:01 AM
Beautiful! Reminds me of the Balrog in LOTR!:eek::eek:

iamirondude
20th May 2013, 10:34 AM
i think i'm in love.

gamblor916
20th May 2013, 11:18 AM
That's pretty amazing work. Nice job.

Kazza
20th May 2013, 12:07 PM
I never cared about the TFPBH toys, but you made me want to get predaking with your awesome custom paint job.

5FDP
20th May 2013, 02:33 PM
I hardly ever comment on customs but just had to say - that is one of the best repaints I have ever seen!

Sinnertwin
20th May 2013, 03:51 PM
Wow... That's fantasti work there

Deonasis
20th May 2013, 04:16 PM
It is insane how quickly you are pumping out quality customs. And with each one visibly improving on your previous renditions i think the sky is the limit for your abilities here. Awesome. Good to finally see the mould details too, stock pics show squat.

lancalot
20th May 2013, 04:35 PM
Don't mind me. I'm just picking my jaw up off the floor.

:D:D Thanks for the comment guys.... im slowly getting better at it , the more i do...plus i just love it , it so fun .... And it so nice to paint a large figure for once ! making it alot easier to do ....

M-bot
20th May 2013, 08:04 PM
When I first saw pics of this figure... I thought of you and your airbrush. No kidding. Since we got this figure before the rest of he world (as far as I am aware), you may be one of the first, if not the first, customisers to repaint this toy. Mark my words, this toy is gonna get repainted heaps in the next few months. You've set the bar very very high for everybody that will undoubtedly follow you. Brilliant work.

lancalot
20th May 2013, 11:05 PM
When I first saw pics of this figure... I thought of you and your airbrush. No kidding. Since we got this figure before the rest of he world (as far as I am aware), you may be one of the first, if not the first, customisers to repaint this toy. Mark my words, this toy is gonna get repainted heaps in the next few months. You've set the bar very very high for everybody that will undoubtedly follow you. Brilliant work.

thanks man...I never thought about that ...that so cool...:cool: And i was practicing that colour scheme from my old customs ...so i knew which colour to do the predaking forsure .... Was planing to do the voyager version , with him on order from ultramarginal for the fair already..but the ultimate got release out of nowhere ... I also wanted to do a blue/white version of him plus try to articulate his wings and sword/tail ...but at 70 abit to much might wait for a sale or something ....

UltraMarginal
20th May 2013, 11:59 PM
Like everyone else has said Lancalot, awesome work, and quite possibly the first custom of this guy.

the gradiants in colour are especially impressive.
Nice caamera work too.

AJ_Prime
21st May 2013, 12:25 AM
OMG, WOW! Dude, that's so amazing. Your custom painting skills are improving in leaps and bounds and that is just a beautiful piece right there! Wish I could paint as good as you!

I love the colours you've used, they really improve the figure significantly, and that's quite a statement because I thought the figure looked impressive already. Until I saw what you did. Mate with work like that you'll be doing commissions soon, if you're not already that is.

lancalot
21st May 2013, 06:10 PM
Like everyone else has said Lancalot, awesome work, and quite possibly the first custom of this guy.

the gradiants in colour are especially impressive.
Nice caamera work too.

Thanks im learning how to use an SLR ....been mucking around with it .. i just bought a mini studio set up as well... but predaking too large had to crop the white sides out :)

OMG, WOW! Dude, that's so amazing. Your custom painting skills are improving in leaps and bounds and that is just a beautiful piece right there! Wish I could paint as good as you!

I love the colours you've used, they really improve the figure significantly, and that's quite a statement because I thought the figure looked impressive already. Until I saw what you did. Mate with work like that you'll be doing commissions soon, if you're not already that is.

thansk man ...Well im open to commissions if any one interested :D

Danzvader78
21st May 2013, 07:02 PM
How did you get your painting technique training? Did you go to some art classes at TAFE or did it yourself?

Slag
21st May 2013, 08:21 PM
Bloody hell:eek: that's your best work yet.

Really very good. I think you can consider quitting your day job!.... unless your day job is painting toy robots.
that would actually make perfect sense.

1orion2many
21st May 2013, 10:44 PM
A thing of beauty:)

Lint
21st May 2013, 10:48 PM
Looks killer!

lancalot
22nd May 2013, 12:01 AM
How did you get your painting technique training? Did you go to some art classes at TAFE or did it yourself?

nah just watch some youtube videos but mostly just got into it and started painting slowly learning along the way.... but like i just found out ... it the way you get use to your own equipment specifically in airbrushing ...thinking im getting better and so i bought a finer more expensive one but i wasn't use to it and it felt different , i couldn't get the level of detail i wanted then my old shity one ..in which i work heaps better with.. so im sticking to that one .. And also getting to know the paints and how much to dilute it etc... that only come with experience because every brand is different and even colour as well ...they all behave differently ....but the worst has to be the washing up !

Bloody hell:eek: that's your best work yet.

Really very good. I think you can consider quitting your day job!.... unless your day job is painting toy robots.
that would actually make perfect sense.

Don't i wish bro... :D i would love to do this for a living ...

Thanks for the comment guys i really appreciated ...

Trent
23rd May 2013, 05:52 PM
Funny how after seeing yours every normal one I see looks SOOOOOOOOOO unfinished. Like they've just been undercoated.

Once again… good job chum.

chuttla
23rd May 2013, 07:17 PM
that is just EPIC!:eek:

Deceptic_Optic
24th May 2013, 07:52 AM
can you be my friend?

KalEl
24th May 2013, 05:48 PM
gave you a shout out in my video review :)

lancalot
24th May 2013, 06:20 PM
can you be my friend?
We're all friends here on the forum...=)

Funny how after seeing yours every normal one I see looks SOOOOOOOOOO unfinished. Like they've just been undercoated.

Once again… good job chum.

:D thanks man

gave you a shout out in my video review :)
That so cool ....thanks KalEl...if only you were in syd i could bring it over for you compare in the review :)

KalEl
24th May 2013, 09:53 PM
That so cool ....thanks KalEl...if only you were in syd i could bring it over for you compare in the review :)

wanna paint mine :P

KalEl
25th May 2013, 06:42 PM
run us through the step of your paint job

lancalot
25th May 2013, 08:03 PM
run us through the step of your paint job

ok.... this my work flow....
prepare the figure for painting.... this is done by rubbing alcohol mixture on a towel and rub the figure completely...be careful of the join as if the alco get in there it can weaken the join and make it crack...i found out the hard way !! then it very hard to superglue a moving joint back.. :( ...
U must wipe it because every toy has a layer of film ..the gloss that protect it and make it water proof ...and paint wouldn't stay on ...

find all the rub points ... but this figure didn't really have any ...thanks to the simple transformation :D...
Dissasemble the figure , as he pretty simple to do so i just got arms, legs body and wings

base coat....as this figure already had the right colours to begin with i just needed to paint white where all the detail and highlights going to be as the highlight colour are transparent .....

Then painting with the light colour first building it up.....
so white...bright orange ...red...burgundy...pearl/blue red

The hardest part is to actually know what colour your going to use and where it is going to be painted! So lots of reference picture ...

Also Know how the paint going to look like when painted...it actually different from the bottle it came from as you have to thin it down for airbrushing and also the transparent of the colour ...like the orange i use...needed the white under or you not going to see it at all....

The thinning of the paint is also important as every colour has a different consistency, i just eye ball it to be a little thinker than water ...With Airbrushing is too never stay in one spot but just keep moving , thin coats ..little burst at a time and never build it up too much or it will run like little drop ! When you actually see the wet (gloss) paint stop! that too much already! let it dry .... it very tempting to keep on goiing but that where you can stuff it up... clean the brush up (i use to hate doing this ...but im getting fast at it now:D dissembling the needle and i use water based paint so under a tap )while drying then paint again untill the color right...

Waiting inbetween each colour/coats to dry ... and around 2-3 light coats of each colour ...orange took a few more as it very transparent ...

Panel lining and detail done in red and florescent yellow..around 2 coats.
then a clear matte coat

Iriorne
25th May 2013, 08:27 PM
Looks awesome! I'm feeling inspired to try a repaint myself, if I can find a figure that excites me enough.

What airbrush do you use? I've got an Aztek brush, which has swappable tips to allow you to (in theory) quickly change spray patterns or colours. Might be worth looking into if you get sick of doing a complete clean between colours. :)

KalEl
25th May 2013, 08:43 PM
ok.... this my work flow....
prepare the figure for painting.... this is done by rubbing alcohol mixture on a towel and rub the figure completely...be careful of the join as if the alco get in there it can weaken the join and make it crack...i found out the hard way !! then it very hard to superglue a moving joint back.. :( ...
U must wipe it because every toy has a layer of film ..the gloss that protect it and make it water proof ...and paint wouldn't stay on ...

find all the rub points ... but this figure didn't really have any ...thanks to the simple transformation :D...
Dissasemble the figure , as he pretty simple to do so i just got arms, legs body and wings

base coat....as this figure already had the right colours to begin with i just needed to paint white where all the detail and highlights going to be as the highlight colour are transparent .....

Then painting with the light colour first building it up.....
so white...bright orange ...red...burgundy...pearl/blue red

The hardest part is to actually know what colour your going to use and where it is going to be painted! So lots of reference picture ...

Also Know how the paint going to look like when painted...it actually different from the bottle it came from as you have to thin it down for airbrushing and also the transparent of the colour ...like the orange i use...needed the white under or you not going to see it at all....

The thinning of the paint is also important as every colour has a different consistency, i just eye ball it to be a little thinker than water ...With Airbrushing is too never stay in one spot but just keep moving , thin coats ..little burst at a time and never build it up too much or it will run like little drop ! When you actually see the wet (gloss) paint stop! that too much already! let it dry .... it very tempting to keep on goiing but that where you can stuff it up... clean the brush up (i use to hate doing this ...but im getting fast at it now:D dissembling the needle and i use water based paint so under a tap )while drying then paint again untill the color right...

Waiting inbetween each colour/coats to dry ... and around 2-3 light coats of each colour ...orange took a few more as it very transparent ...

Panel lining and detail done in red and florescent yellow..around 2 coats.
then a clear matte coat

Im tempted to commission you to do mine then do a video on it for you!

lancalot
25th May 2013, 08:58 PM
Looks awesome! I'm feeling inspired to try a repaint myself, if I can find a figure that excites me enough.

What airbrush do you use? I've got an Aztek brush, which has swappable tips to allow you to (in theory) quickly change spray patterns or colours. Might be worth looking into if you get sick of doing a complete clean between colours. :)
It a cool figure , plus it bigg...thanks for the info ill check that brush out...

Hey ill do it cheap for you KalEl .... But you know postage is a killer.... he big.! Pm me if your interested ....

Hursticon
30th May 2013, 10:10 PM
Wow! :eek: - Absolutely friggin' Wow! :eek:
You've done an exceedingly meticulous job of picking out all the little details in the mold and the wings look almost organic! - Imagine a whole row of these on the shelves?, you wouldn't, because they wouldn't last long enough! ;):cool:

VGMStudios
2nd June 2013, 01:25 AM
Love it!
How did you do the gradient colors?
Oops never mind I didn't notice your post.
Simply amazing. Makes me tempted to buy one now.

liegeprime
2nd June 2013, 01:29 AM

+1 except for doing the video part, coz Im not so good with those , :P

lancalot
2nd June 2013, 02:26 AM
Love it!
How did you do the gradient colors?
Oops never mind I didn't notice your post.
Simply amazing. Makes me tempted to buy one now.

Wow! :eek: - Absolutely friggin' Wow! :eek:
You've done an exceedingly meticulous job of picking out all the little details in the mold and the wings look almost organic! - Imagine a whole row of these on the shelves?, you wouldn't, because they wouldn't last long enough! ;):cool:

+1 except for doing the video part, coz Im not so good with those , :P

:D:D thanks man....it a nice figure to paint VGM ...

Bidoofdude
7th June 2013, 07:49 PM
Just had a convo with that guy. All a misunderstanding, like you said. :cool: Said he's sorry for the mishap. :cool:;)

Sinnertwin
7th June 2013, 08:16 PM
I think i remember you saying something like you got a new airbrush but went back to.using your old one? Do they vary that much? I'm considering doing my first custom and wouldnt mind some tips on brush choice from customisers and not a salesman.

lancalot
7th June 2013, 09:41 PM
I think i remember you saying something like you got a new airbrush but went back to.using your old one? Do they vary that much? I'm considering doing my first custom and wouldnt mind some tips on brush choice from customisers and not a salesman.

Yeah they change the way it sprays..... the spread pattern ... i changed needle and it changed again!! so annoying ... on a larger paper you wouldn't really notice .... but when you working with a tiny transformer toy ... you can tell straight away! You are doing the same thing but it come out different so you have to get use to how it sprays again....

lancalot
7th June 2013, 10:40 PM
http://www.pecoglobal.com/veda_180_new_pack_p/wd_180_new-pack.htm

This one i use .... it a cheap one .but good..and i was pointed to the site from a airburshing tutorial site and he said it as good as the really expensive one.... it a good one to start off anyways... and i gotten use to it .... so it kick ass :D ...

The really good one cost $500 plus ... but i think it a combination of alot of thing and not the brush alone .... i got a good air compressor that you can change the exact PSI level which help alot but also your paint as well.... You should get a water base paint ...just because it easier to wash up ! And there's alot of washing up!! between every coats!

If your just starting out i think you just get the proper set up with everything in place So like the air brush - the air compressor -the hose - The Stand for the air brush!! Very important one !! :D Aligator clips - a lazy susan(turn table)And of cause the paints......Then you get to know how everything works then you find your own workflow .By then you would know what to look for in the equipment that right for you ....

lancalot
7th June 2013, 10:54 PM
Oh yeah ....one very important thing as well...get good masking tape!! :D learnt the hard way with smokescreen :rolleyes:....the tamiya ones....

Sinnertwin
8th June 2013, 01:15 AM
Oh yeah ....one very important thing as well...get good masking tape!! :D learnt the hard way with smokescreen :rolleyes:....the tamiya ones....

Will do! Thank you for that :) i'm off to the hobbyshop later today to check out all the bits and pieces!

Iriorne
8th June 2013, 06:36 PM
Check out the Aztek airbrushes too. They have interchangeable tip/needle assemblies that let you change spray patterns (and maybe colours) quickly. I'm pretty happy with mine, but can't say how it compares to others. With compressors, be sure to get one with a pressure regulator valve and moisture trap. Its also advisable to have a long hose (~2m) and another water trap before the airbrush to cool the air and trap any condensation before it hits your brush and ruins your paint work.

And Tamiya tape is great too. Won't lift off paint or leave residue like normal masking tape. Tamiya or Gunze Sangyo acrylic paints are good to work with, they spray well over a wide range of air pressures and paint/thinner ratios. I usually thin 1:1 and spray at about 20 psi.