PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Factories: Lego (on 7mate tonight Mon 27 May)

Paulbot
27th May 2013, 07:28 PM
I've heard this is an interesting watch, inside the factories where they make Lego

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/ultimate-factories/episodes/lego/

But it starts in a few minutes on 7mate. Just stumbled onto it in the tv guide.

i_amtrunks
27th May 2013, 07:42 PM
its a good way to waste an hour, I watched it on an international flight last year. Very interesting system they have got themselves running, and how much they have to produce just to stay up with demand. The second story about the new police dog piece was a little dull though.

CBratron
27th May 2013, 08:25 PM
How late did it start. The program said 7:30 but when I tuned in around quarter to 8, it seemed to have just started?

Hey look! Pad printing AKA Tampography.

Sam
27th May 2013, 09:57 PM
It was interesting and the most impressive thing in my opinion was the quality of their pieces (12 out of every 100,000 pieces are rejected).

The show is sightly dated though, as MMO LEGO Universe had shut down a while back.

Omega Metro
27th May 2013, 10:20 PM
Just goes to show how expensive Lego is. The amount they make using the same moulds over and over, Lego should be as cheap as chips. ....They need to move to China.

MayzaPrime
27th May 2013, 11:05 PM
I was in the lego museum in Prague this time last year. It was awesome, besides the cheap beer it is one of the best things to do in Prague.

UltraMarginal
28th May 2013, 09:17 AM
would have liked to have seen that, hopefully it will be on again in the future.

Omega Metro
28th May 2013, 10:08 AM
would have liked to have seen that, hopefully it will be on again in the future.

You can get it from Kmart on DVD. $16 I think but has a few other docs on it also.

Golden Phoenix
28th May 2013, 10:51 AM
Just goes to show how expensive Lego is. The amount they make using the same moulds over and over, Lego should be as cheap as chips. ....They need to move to China.

They have moved some production to China, however there is a noticeable difference in quality. The parts for the Collectible Minifigures in particular are China produced, and they do feel cheaper than the pieces produced in Europe.

Various Lego fan communities have documented the difference. Things like the quality of the plastic, faded colours, or the clasping abilities of the bricks. With the Minifigures you can feel how loose the legs, arms, hands, and heads are. It is an obvious difference.

One thing Lego does do to bring down costs is mass produce the parts in their own factories, and then ship the parts to various secondary factories who sort the pieces and put the sets together (like bagged and packaged).

Most of the North American sets are put together in Mexico. We still get our sets from Europe though......

UltraMarginal
28th May 2013, 11:09 AM
You can get it from Kmart on DVD. $16 I think but has a few other docs on it also.

thanks for the heads up.:cool: