PDA

View Full Version : Rise of the Maximals - Issue #1

Verno
28th May 2013, 11:12 AM
G'Day all,

I've decided it was about time to publish the script for the first part of a new series I've written:

Rise of the Maximals - Issue #1 (http://rh1n0x.deviantart.com/art/Transformers-Rise-of-the-Maximals-Issue-1-374103317)

http://th00.deviantart.net/fs70/200H/f/2012/153/4/8/maximal_logo_by_rh1n0x-d51z1qc.png (http://rh1n0x.deviantart.com/art/Transformers-Rise-of-the-Maximals-Issue-1-374103317)

Synopsis:

Set during the latter stages of the Great War, a ceasefire is in effect between the Autobots and Decepticons as they try to maintain an unsteady alliance against the Cybertronian Empire.

But as Autobot cargo ships traveling between Earth and Cybertron begin to come under attack from an unknown enemy, Grimlock tries to uncover the identity of the assailants - with the help of some familiar faces.

----------

As with all my writing, it's set within the TVC Universe (http://tf-tvc.deviantart.com/), and transpires towards the end of the Great War, after the arrival of the Cybertronian Empire and The Swarm, but some years before the events of the Hub Assault and TransWarp Saga*.

If you've got a few spare minutes, please have a read - I'd love to get some feedback on it.

Cheers,
Verno.

*For those that are familiar with my other writings.

Hursticon
30th May 2013, 11:00 PM
I very-very much like this Verno, but did you really think I wouldn't? :p

You paint such amazing pictures with words; the end scene with Sunstreaker smearing the green oil on Tracks' Autobot insignia?, "Giving the Autobots back their bite"? - such a defining & epic scene/moment! :eek::D
Ao too with the Predacon being forced into testing a new Proto-Matter chassis, only for his optics to fade & smoke beginning to bellow after mere seconds into a seemingly successful transfer... ;):cool:

You handle characterisation here as superbly as you have before; more, I say, MORE! :D

Verno
31st May 2013, 11:33 AM
I very-very much like this Verno, but did you really think I wouldn't? :p

Hursty! I can always count on you for some very kind words mate! I'm always glad to see you've had time to cast an eye across my new stuff.

You paint such amazing pictures with words; the end scene with Sunstreaker smearing the green oil on Tracks' Autobot insignia?, "Giving the Autobots back their bite"? - such a defining & epic scene/moment! :eek::D

That scene is perhaps the second-most pivotal scene in the 'Maximals' story - second only to the final scene of the final issue, but I'm not going to tell you any more than that right now.

It was very important that the genesis of the Maximal faction was entirely an organic/logical one. Here we have the beginnings of the Maximals as a renegade sub-group of the Autobots, similar to the Wreckers. But what these 'Maximals' do and how they go about it (and what they eventually stand for) is what shapes the sub-group into a larger faction.

I've argued the point with a few people over the years that such a shift from Autobot to Maximal is hardly a simple decision. The Autobot brand is 9 million years old at this point, and holds a lot of meaning in Cybertronian history. If people think such a symbol and name would be so easily cast off in order for the Maximal brand to be adopted are kidding themselves. It takes a major shake-up of Cybertron, and of the Autobots, to bring about such a change.

Ao too with the Predacon being forced into testing a new Proto-Matter chassis, only for his optics to fade & smoke beginning to bellow after mere seconds into a seemingly successful transfer... ;):cool:

It's like something out of a nightmare. That was a fun scene to write :cool:

You handle characterisation here as superbly as you have before; more, I say, MORE! :D

That means a lot mate, thank you. Apart from G1 Silverbolt (in the Csirac story) I haven't had to deal/write too much with iconic G1 characters, so to suddenly find myself steering Grimlock around, it was an interesting challenge to try and get his characterisation correct, or at the very least truthful to what has been seen before. True too with the other G1 characters like Sunstreaker and Tracks, but I felt I had a bit more freedom with them. But of course, I had to throw in a couple of new 'bots like Fonix and Briq, just for fun. With Grimlock so fixedly mute for the most part, a character like Fonix (to help push along the story and detail) is essential.

More? More you say? I don't know if I'll have any good news on that front. I honestly don't have any plans to continue on with any Transformers writing at present - be it 'Maximals' or other. The motivation simply isn't there like it used to be. This script was finished some time ago, but figured it was about time I put it up for folks to read (and hopefully enjoy).

I'll be back with more one day though. The ReGen1 comics will finish and none of IDW's other titles will spark an interest, so I'll be back to having to write my own stories to entertain my own imagination and fill the TF void in my own life.

Or Hasbro/IDW decide to put some BW-related stories together for the 20th Anniversary and come knocking on my door... :p A guy can dream, right?

Sinnertwin
31st May 2013, 12:01 PM
Hursti's summed it up perfectly :D Me Autobot...with teeth... Oh yeeeaaahhh :cool:
Hope to read more soon :)

Trent
2nd June 2013, 04:37 PM
Dude, awesome work as always. Your ability to paint pictures with your words is a great talent that even some well published authors can't do as well as you. I can actually visualise in my mind the rooms and the ships and the characters facial expressions:eek:

As always, MORE :D

Verno
3rd June 2013, 04:38 PM
Hursti's summed it up perfectly :D Me Autobot...with teeth... Oh yeeeaaahhh :cool:
Hope to read more soon :)

Grimlock was actually quite fun to write with. He'd been cooped up in the Research Facility with nothing to do for too long, so when he finally got out for some R and R (ripping and raiding) he could really let loose.

Dude, awesome work as always. Your ability to paint pictures with your words is a great talent that even some well published authors can't do as well as you. I can actually visualise in my mind the rooms and the ships and the characters facial expressions

The script format I'm writing in gives me the advantage of brief descriptive outlines for each panel and scene. Long enough to give the Artist and reader something to get their teeth into, but short enough not to slow down the story. I'm glad you're enjoying the vivid images my words are able to conjure up in your head.

doublespy
3rd June 2013, 06:12 PM
Awesome stuff. This will make good comic no doubt.

Verno
18th September 2013, 02:50 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen, for your reading pleasure -- an excerpt of:

Transformers: Rise of the Maximals - Issue #2

Note: Haven't read Issue #1? Shame on you. But Click Here (http://rh1n0x.deviantart.com/art/Transformers-Rise-of-the-Maximals-Issue-1-374103317) to catch up :cool:

Page 1:

Panel One: Grimlock, Sunstreaker, Trailbreaker, Tracks and Sideswipe sit around a large table in an Autobot Command Room on Earth. On the wall is a large projection screen. Displayed on the screen are Optimus Prime and Ultra Magnus. The seven Autobots are having a video conference to discuss recent events.

PNL: AutoHum Research Centre, Earth.
Link PNL: 2144 AD.

Optimus Prime: While the Autobot presence on Cybertron is lessened, Megatron has assured me that his Decepticons will protect this planet from any outside threat.
Link PNL: That ongoing guarantee relies on the uneasy truce we have in place -- the relative peace from which gives us time to focus on helping the Humans relocate.

Panel Two: A close-up of Sideswipe, who protests to his commanding officers.

Sideswipe: Why don’t you just ask Megatron how to disarm the frakking thing?

Panel Three: An angle from behind Tracks, looking towards the screen, were we see Prime and Magnus looking stern.

Optimus Prime: If only it were that easy, Sideswipe.

Tracks: But come on, Prime. What were they supposed to do - just rollover and take it?! Of course they were going to fight back.

Ultra Magnus: It’s the manner in which they did it.

Panel Four: Sunstreaker looks to Sideswipe. They exchange a wry smile across the table. Behind them, Grimlock sits at the end of the table, looking incredibly angry.

Sunstreaker: With blasters charged and swords drawn I hope.

Page 2:

Panel One: A shot of the room at large again. Tracks continues his flippant argument with his leaders.

Ultra Magnus: They did it under a Maximal banner.

Tracks: Hey, you can’t stop progress.

Optimus Prime: Your actions are jeopardising our alliance with the Decepticons.

Panel Two: A mid-shot of Trailbreaker, who has had enough and leans forward to make his point.

Trailbreaker: Don’t be a fool, Prime. Megatron is suffering massive fluctuations in his troop numbers. This whole thing has gone on long enough.

Panel Three: Trailbreaker stands, leaning on the table to continue his passionate plea. Prime and Magnus continue their stern look on the display screen.

Trailbreaker: The Preds aren’t taking orders from Megatron anymore -- they’ve splintered -- but while you continue to see them as Decepticons, you’re asking Autobots to lay down their arms and their lives in the face of an enemy that will show them no mercy!
Link PNL: The fight is now with Razorclaw!

Panel Four: Prime is resolute in his response. Magnus can’t help a sideways glance at Prime, obviously in agreeance with Trailbreaker, but unable to say anything to undermine his leader.

Optimus Prime: I will not see the Autobot faction split in two. The details of the ceasefire are clear.
Link PNL: You have your orders. Cybertron, out.

Panel Five: The display screen goes to black as the transmission ends. Trailbreaker, still leaning on the table, hangs his head in disbelief.

Trailbreaker: He can’t be serious.

Page 3:

Panel One: Trailbreaker falls back into his chair. Sideswipe places a hand on his shoulder to console him.

Trailbreaker: Attacking Autobot ships was one thing, but Preds raiding our off-world installations is another entirely!

Panel Two: Grimlock came to life, violently, for the first time since the whole meeting began. He slammed his fist on the controls of his chair, opening a comm-link.

Grimlock: Fonix, get here.

Dlg PNL (Fonix): On my way, Commander.

Panel Three: An angle on Grimlock and Tracks. Grimlock puts his head in his hands in frustration. Tracks looks on, bemused, with a shrug.

Grimlock: Prime not same since trip into Swarm.

Tracks (OS): The Swarm? I think Prime’s problems started a little before that.

Panel Four: (Flashback Montage Begins) In a scene reminiscent of Transformers: The Movie (1986), during the battle of Autobot City on Earth, Megatron strangles Hot Rod with one arm, while he blasts Optimus Prime with his Fusion Cannon.

Dlg PNL (Tracks): I mean, the dude was dead for a while there! If that doesn’t mess with your head, nothing will.

Page 4:

Panel One: Unicron, in planet-mode, bares down on Cybertron.

Dlg PNL (Tracks): He got to miss out on Unicron at least. That was a little too close.

Panel Two: Sky Lynx looks on cautiously as a Quintesson operates on Optimus Prime’s body.

Dlg PNL (Tracks): But he was back with us soon enough. Yanked back into the land of the living by some Quint tentacles…

Panel Three: Optimus Prime goes head-to-head with Galvatron.

Dlg PNL (Tracks): … only to find that his old sparring partner had a new coat of paint, but the fumes have sent him crazy.

Panel Four: Prime, heavily damaged from battle, raises the (seemingly) dead form of Galvatron over his head, triumphantly. In the background, the city of Sydney, Australia, is in ruins. The Opera House and Harbour Bridge are in tatters.

Dlg PNL (Tracks): Prime saves the day but we’re all kicked off Earth as a “Thank You” from the Humans.

Page 5:

Panel One: Megatron, in his Generation 2 Tank body, shakes hands with Prime.

Dlg PNL (Tracks): Suddenly Megs is back, but now we’re fighting alongside him…

Panel Two: Optimus and Megatron raise their blasters towards the sky, as Jhiaxus, in his flying alt-mode, swoops towards them, firing his cannons.

Dlg PNL (Tracks): … as we stare down the barrel of Jhiaxus’ blaster.

Panel Three: Optimus Prime is consumed by the black, swirling mass of the Swarm. (Flashback Montage ends)

Dlg PNL (Tracks): Then came his little trip into the Swarm.

Panel Four: Back in the present, Tracks sits in his chair casually. Sunstreaker chimes in, smiling. The doors at the side of the room open and Fonix enters.

Tracks: It’s sure been one hell of a ride.

Sunstreaker: Amazing that any of us are sane really.

--- End Excerpt ---

This scene is set a few months after the end of Issue #1, with the rebellious Maximal movement finding favour with Autobots stationed off-world.

Also, this scene helps join the dots of the TVC Universe as a whole, as we blend events from the G1 Cartoon Universe with those of the Marvel G1/G2 Universes into one coherent timeline for the first time.

I'd love to hear your thoughts as always :)

Hursticon
18th September 2013, 07:24 PM
I fear you'll only get bored at reading me repeat myself mate (If you haven't already :p), but my response remains the same: "Love it!" & "Want more!" ;):)

I love this growing "Feral" streak amongst the Autobots, oh so very fitting. :D

Trent
18th September 2013, 08:52 PM
WHERE'S THE BLOODY REST OF IT!!!!! You just got me sucked in and it ended dammit!!:mad:

Awesome as always dude. Seems a little strange seeing Trailbreaker stand up to Prime like that, not something you would usually expect from him. Kind of helps to convey the desperation they are feeling.

Verno
18th September 2013, 10:16 PM
I fear you'll only get bored at reading me repeat myself mate (If you haven't already :p), but my response remains the same: "Love it!" & "Want more!" ;):)

To which my response remains the same - I can always rely on you for some encouragement, Hursty. Always one of the (if not the) first to read and reply :cool:

I love this growing "Feral" streak amongst the Autobots, oh so very fitting. :D

Living on a foreign rock with a ticking time-bomb at its core would put you a little on edge. You're bound to lash out rebelliously ;)

WHERE'S THE BLOODY REST OF IT!!!!! You just got me sucked in and it ended dammit!!

With a little energon and a lot of luck, I should have another couple of Pages for your perusal in the next couple of days.

Awesome as always dude. Seems a little strange seeing Trailbreaker stand up to Prime like that, not something you would usually expect from him. Kind of helps to convey the desperation they are feeling.

I can't lie - there were 4 other Autobots in that room that could of got those lines, but as Trailbreaker hadn't spoken much in that scene, I gave them to him :o

I didn't grow up watching and/or reading G1, so my connection to (and knowledge of) the characters is less-so than Fans like yourself. So I very much enjoy your observation that a character like Trailbreaker saying such things to Prime helps communicate the desperation of the situation :D

Verno
20th September 2013, 04:00 PM
The scene is anything but polished, but as I'll be a tied up for the next little while, I thought I'd post it up nonetheless.

And now, back to our story...

Page 7:

Panel One: The doors of a research lab open and Fonix walks in, looking angered. He is holding a hand-held computer tablet. Briq is sitting at a desk and looks up from the computer display he is studying.

Fonix: Did you hear, Briq? We are at war.

Panel Two: Fonix throws the tablet on Briq’s desk.

Briq: Have been for a while, haven’t we? Or did I miss something?

Fonix: No, we’re just inventing new ones to fight.

Panel Three: Fonix leans on the opposite side of Briq’s desk. He is in a foul mood.

Briq: I have Csirac’s latest progress report-

Fonix: Let me guess -- slow going, but he remains confident of an upcoming breakthrough.

Panel Four: Fonix walks around to Briq’s side of the desk.

Briq: Yeah, that’s pretty much it. There’s also something I’ve been working on I’d like you to take a look at.

Fonix: Is it more interesting than the failed coalescing of Trans-Ion particles?

Panel Five: The two small Autobots study the computer display. Fonix’s optics are narrowed.

Briq: I was comparing the star-charts from the captured Predacon vessels to our own and came up with some… anomalies.

Page 8:

Panel One: A close up of Sideswipe’s face, looking confused.

PNL: A short time later.

Sideswipe: Gravitational anomalies?

Panel Two: Fonix and Briq are standing before Grimlock, Sideswipe and Tracks in a command room.

Fonix: Everything exerts gravity, right? You, me, that table. But because of our comparatively small masses, it’s hard to measure.
Link PNL: But something like a planet, for example, is easier to recognise because of its interaction with space and surrounding celestial bodies and so on.

Grimlock: Get to point.

Panel Three: A shot from behind Briq and Fonix looking towards the three large Autobots. Tracks and Sideswipe exchange a smile.

Briq: We’re missing a couple of planets.

Sideswipe: We?

Tracks: Careless of us to misplace such things.

Panel Four: A mid-shot of Briq and Fonix.

Briq: They were there and now they’re… just… not.

Fonix: We’d identified several of them as potential planets for human colonisation. Habitable, with a breathable atmosphere.
Link PNL: I did some searching through our records, which are sketchy at best, and it turns out we’ve been losing planetoids for some time -- we’ve just been too busy to notice.

Page 9:

Panel One: A shot of the room at large.

Sideswipe: Someone is stealing planets?

Briq: I know, it sounds absurd.

Grimlock: Why?

Fonix: Direct as ever, Grimlock.
Link PNL: But I can’t even begin to speculate.

Panel Two: Sideswipe crosses his arms as he studies the two small Autobots.

Sideswipe: Ok, but answer me this -- Could it be the Predacons?

Fonix: The short answer is no. The Predacons lack the resources to launch an all-out attack on Cybertron, let alone move an entire world out of its orbit.
Link PNL: Whoever is behind these disappearances has an incredible power at their disposal, and a design for them that we can’t possibly comprehend at this stage.

--- End Excerpt ---

Good times.

Hursticon
20th September 2013, 06:31 PM
Calling it now, the Vok are setting their experiments into motion! ;):D
A draft it may be dude, but awesome none the less. :cool:

Trent
20th September 2013, 07:01 PM
Yep. That has the Vok all over it :)

Awesome as always Verno, don't leave us hanging too long until the next installment.

Verno
21st September 2013, 07:39 AM
A draft it may be dude, but awesome none the less. :cool:

Awesome as always Verno, don't leave us hanging too long until the next installment.

Thank you both for your kind words, as always, but...

Calling it now, the Vok are setting their experiments into motion! ;):D

Yep. That has the Vok all over it

You're both a long way off the mark :p

Remember what the TVC is all about -- molding established canon into a single, coherent storyline. Except perhaps in this case we're dealing a little more with pseudo-canon...

Verno
26th September 2013, 02:53 PM
Page 98:

Panel One: A Predacon Soldier is sitting on the floor, restrained with electro-bonds in a Autobot holding cell. Sideswipe walks over to a large unit on the wall and retracts two jumper-lead-looking cables.

Predacon Troop: What are you doing? What are you doing?!

Panel Two: Sideswipe bends down and hooks the two leads to the Predacon, who is unable to shake them off.

Predacon Troop: Hey, stop, stop! You’re an Autobot, you don’t believe in torture!

Sideswipe: Once a Decepticon has run you through it a few times, it’s kinda hard to dispel.

Panel Three: Sideswipe stands up to admire his handiwork, smiling.

Sideswipe: You know, I don’t think believe was quite the word you were looking for. You meant condone, or employ. And you’re right -- Autobots do tend to shy away from such measures.

Panel Four: Sideswipe goes nose-to-nose with the Predacon. All trace of a smile is gone from Sideswipe's face.

Sideswipe: Do you see any Autobots around here?

Page 99:

Panel One: Sideswipe returned to the wall and leans beside the unit from which the leads are emanating.

Sideswipe: Here’s the thing -- You can either choose to tell me what I want to know, and then I’ll kill you, quickly, as a reward for your co-operation.
Link PNL: Or, you can choose to not tell me what I want to know, in which case I’ll crack your cranium open and start extracting data from your processor one file at a time.

Panel Two: Sideswipe's smile returns as he laughs and places one hand on a large lever on the side of the unit.

Sideswipe: Now, -haha-, I have no expertise or experience in such a procedure -- I just think it’d be fun -- but who knows what you’ll start doing when I start playing around in there.

Panel Three: Sideswipe holds up his other hand, which is clearly shaking. The smile remains on his face.

Sideswipe: Also, I’m kinda clumsy. I mean, does this looks like the hand of a neurosurgeon? It's shaking already out of the pure excitement.

Panel Four: A close-up of Sideswipe's face, the smile is gone again replaced by a cold stare.

Sideswipe: But lastly, you just put a blaster round in the chest of a good friend of mine. I’m emotionally unstable right now, so if I find the switch that auto-aligns your transformation cog, I might just rip it out and see what happens.
Link PNL: Your lips better start moving, while you’re still in control of them.

--- End ---

Trent
26th September 2013, 07:58 PM
^You skipped a few pages. It's seems kinda harsh even for Sideswipe. But I can imagine him getting to that point with the right push. Those missing pages might fill in the blanks ;)

Verno
26th September 2013, 11:44 PM
^You skipped a few pages. It's seems kinda harsh even for Sideswipe. But I can imagine him getting to that point with the right push. Those missing pages might fill in the blanks ;)

Haha, those numbers are something of a red herring. As the scene doesn't follow on from anything already written, I just put them in for fun.

I don't even know if I'll use this scene in the end, but it was fun to write nonetheless.

Hursticon
29th September 2013, 12:26 PM
I don't even know if I'll use this scene in the end, but it was fun to write nonetheless.

It had me smiling, especially the talk of poking around inside one's cranium with little to no knowledge - simply to see what happens when one starts prodding... :cool:
Oh! ripping out the Transformation-Cog Alignment Switch? <- Beautiful! :D

Trent does bring up a point, it does seem a little harsh for Sideswipe; but then his allegiance is no longer with the Autobots...

Sideswipe: Do you see any Autobots around here?

...and in my mind's eye, it's not the classic G1 Sideswipe that's employing such cerebrally ravenous tactics, it's the battle hardened G2 Sideswipe - "unleashed" and a little primal, if you will. ;):D

Trent
30th September 2013, 12:53 AM
...and in my mind's eye, it's not the classic G1 Sideswipe that's employing such cerebrally ravenous tactics, it's the battle hardened G2 Sideswipe - "unleashed" and a little primal, if you will. ;):D

Yeah I can definately see a black Sideswipe, complete with his angry face and spiked wheels on his shoulders leaning over a decepticon making that threat. :D

I am so keen for that G2 MP:cool: Tell me you're picking that one up Verno?

Verno
30th September 2013, 03:36 PM
It had me smiling, especially the talk of poking around inside one's cranium with little to no knowledge - simply to see what happens when one starts prodding... :cool:
Oh! ripping out the Transformation-Cog Alignment Switch? <- Beautiful! :D
I was never sold on the idea of transformation cogs, until I had the thought that the processor controlling it could be ripped out :p

Trent does bring up a point, it does seem a little harsh for Sideswipe; but then his allegiance is no longer with the Autobots...

It could always be a bluff of course.

But yes, I think these brand of Autobots are a little war-weary, and are starting to understand the measures needed to end it.

Yeah I can definately see a black Sideswipe, complete with his angry face and spiked wheels on his shoulders leaning over a decepticon making that threat.
Maybe a dark shadow across his face while he's saying it, but he'll still be the red Sideswipe we know and love.

I am so keen for that G2 MP Tell me you're picking that one up Verno?
Nah, I'm not an MP Collector. I'm not even a G1 Collector. Plus, I've just pre-ordered the Takara and Hasbro versions of Waspinator and Rhinox, and am waiting to see how Generations Rattrap turns out (crosses fingers its not a BM version).