PDA

View Full Version : Platinum Edition Ultra Magnus

billygoat
2nd June 2013, 01:54 PM
Since nobody else has posted much about Platimagnus yet that I could find, I figured I'd give it a go. I guess this is mostly the right section. Mods please move it if I got it wrong :)

Apologies for the quality of the pics. My camera is not terrific and the lighting wasn't the best. No in-package shots either since I was too eager to get him open, sorry :o but I'm sure you've all seen that before anyway.

Starting with vehicle mode, you can see that the chest pieces just kind of hang there rather than folding around like Weaponizer Prime.
http://ubuntuone.com/4KJpLVYmHRf18WnT2TsIE9

Then onto robot:
http://ubuntuone.com/7PaiGkunx3cFqYwPYQVmoC

Tried to get a closer shot of the head, but it's a little dark. The flash just washed it out entirely. It's quite different than PRiD Magnus and looks to me like something between his Prime and Animated versions. And what a grumpy frown. He needs a hug.
http://ubuntuone.com/4xn2QD6V3dIQsJUUkttVkO

A couple of comparison shots with Weaponizer Optimus Prime:
First vehicles, you can clearly see the big bulges on the sides, but I find it doesn't bother me as much in person as I thought it would. He also lacks the fold-out skirting that Optimus has along the side of the cab. On the other hand, the whole back end looks a bit better with the hammer to cover it up.
http://ubuntuone.com/2Nx10lPgSD2B7z4kbxbMJh

Now robots, I find the addition of the shoulders and the retooled chest make him look quite a bit more solid. The smaller backpack also makes him easier to stand straight, whereas Optimus is always about to fall over backwards:
http://ubuntuone.com/7T5iuA5dGhav1639AUsUQn

And finally watch me fail to take a dramatic shot. I mean, watch me fail to take a dramatic shot, Sir:
http://ubuntuone.com/0dJajyleFnAafn3O9CCicu

General thoughts:

Yes, he has most of the same issues as Weaponizer Optimus. Simplistic transformation, obvious visible robot parts in vehicle mode, sacrificing a lot for the spinning gun gimmick. But you know what? I really dig this guy. Maybe I'm just a sucker for Ultra Magnus (hint: I am) but I find this to be a much, much, much better use for this mould than Optimus Prime ever was.

As I said in the WA Sightings thread, I always cringe when I see an Optimus Prime toy with a faux windshield chest instead of utilising the vehicle modes actual windshield and even without all the other issues, that alone would make me dislike the mould as Optimus. This is, IMO, not a problem at all with Magnus and my feelings about the toy are quite different as a result.

Paint apps are simple, but very striking. I love the shoulders, though I kind of wish there was more white on them to tribute G1 a bit more, but that would have looked weird on the vehicle mode. And the Forge of Solus is just awesome, despite having to use smaller grips on the sides rather than the haft proper. Huge and intimidating.

I'm tepid on the gimmick (as I was with Weaponizer Prime), but again, I find shoulder cannons more appropriate for Magnus than for Optimus.

Is he worth the $79? Well... that's up to you. I'm happy with the price I paid for him. You are paying extra for the snazzy packaging though, IMO. It is still the same mould as Weaponizer Prime, so if you really didn't like that toy there's a good chance you'll dislike this one. Especially so for the inflated price. Unless you're a fellow Ultra Magnus-fancier, in which case that may affect your views somewhat.

But $79 is pretty steep, even for a "limited edition" toy. I would say, unless you're really desperately interested in the toy, wait until the Target toy sale starts in earnest and see if they discount him.

Omega Metro
2nd June 2013, 01:59 PM
I paid $40 for Optimus version at Target so Magnus is very overpriced at $79. Looks cheap and nasty also.

CBratron
2nd June 2013, 02:25 PM
Do his shoulder pylons have to sit out to the side in alt mode? There's no way to tuck them towards the back?

lancalot
2nd June 2013, 02:53 PM
Do his shoulder pylons have to sit out to the side in alt mode? There's no way to tuck them towards the back?

that looks kinda funny in alt mode.... and also the forge of solus isn't gold chromed? :( i always though it was.... His face looks like he pouting ...
Good review billygoat ... it an easy skip for me now....

billygoat
2nd June 2013, 03:23 PM

No, they just don't rotate that way. It doesn't really bother me, but it does make for an odd truck.

that looks kinda funny in alt mode.... and also the forge of solus isn't gold chromed? :( i always though it was.... His face looks like he pouting ...
Good review billygoat ... it an easy skip for me now....

It's not chromed, but when has Hasbro chromed anything outside of the Masterpiece line recently? I hate chrome (which is why I skip a lot of Takara releases) so it's OK for me, but I can definitely see how you'd feel a bit cheated given the pricepoint.

GoktimusPrime
2nd June 2013, 09:16 PM
It looks like they took a crummy mould and made it even worse. :( Guh... I'm not sure if I wanna wait until this toy goes on sale, or just go and import a BH Voyager UM. :/

Paulbot
2nd June 2013, 10:01 PM
Probably the best "turn an Optimus Prime toy into an Ultra Magnus" toy so far. I'm glad the "white repaint" era looks to be over. And I think this toy shows that TF:Prime Optimus Prime toys would look better without the faceplate. Thanks for the review Billygoat.

CBratron
2nd June 2013, 10:01 PM
I can't see myself getting this. The shoulders are a vital part to show accuracy but the limited edition price and weaponizer gimmick don't do it for me.
The BH Voyager is fine when you remove the winged backpack.
But the red tipped rocket of the PRiD Voyager is quite nice. If only it came with two such rockets.

Quickstrike
3rd June 2013, 07:45 PM
I really like how this toy looks.

Lint
3rd June 2013, 08:52 PM
Probably the best "turn an Optimus Prime toy into an Ultra Magnus" toy so far. I'm glad the "white repaint" era looks to be over.

+1

griffin
4th June 2013, 12:46 AM
The bits sticking out the sides of the truck mode look stupid, but I like the robot mode and colours... This should have been the main use of this mould, and then redecoed into Optimus later.
That'd certainly be a first if that ever happened.

Tetsuwan Convoy
16th June 2013, 01:36 PM
Just saw this baby in the shops for the first time today and ...

GAH!

Box is super sexy, but toy is incredibly bland. Perhaps a bit of line pen to emphasize the sculpting is needed, but when I opened the package, I thought "This isn't a high-quality figure" It Just looked a tad cheap and nasty to me.

I do like the changes to vehicle mode though, it makes it look a lot different to Optimus there. I would have liked to see some gimmick or something in his shoulders as well.

I like Magnus, even when he is just a white Optimus, but I am not so sold on this...

GoktimusPrime
16th June 2013, 05:06 PM
^Agreed. I saw this IRL last week and instantly thought that it looked like a KO. :/

Gasaraki
21st June 2013, 07:06 PM
Just saw this baby in the shops for the first time today and ...

GAH!

Box is super sexy, but toy is incredibly bland. Perhaps a bit of line pen to emphasize the sculpting is needed, but when I opened the package, I thought "This isn't a high-quality figure" It Just looked a tad cheap and nasty to me.

Saw it on the shelf today, and immediate reaction was... 'Gee that box is smaller than I was expecting!'. Must be bias from getting Omega Supreme earlier, who's at least 3x the size and weight.

I agree, it does look rather bland for a supposedly PLATINUM edition... definitely an easy pass at $79. $40 makes it somewhat more tempting, but I don't think I will spare the space (as probably can't make myself throw that lovely box away). I'm totally happy with my FP City Commander as my UM, and have only gotten sporadic Prime figures.

Defcon
23rd June 2013, 10:05 AM
Just to give my opinion, but I don't intend on getting this for a couple of reasons.
Well upon inspection the box looks very nice due mainly to the artwork, but I think the cardboard feels cheap and it colours look faded as if it was a photocopy of a copy, not an original print. The toy itself inside looks decent, however it really needs something more like metallic paint on the hammer. On sale this toy will be $39, but even cheaper again the original weaponizer Optimus prime is on sale for $20. With this in mind given this is large toy, why would it be selling for as low as $20? reason = cheaply made with cheap plastic. The platinum edition Ultra Magnus has a new head, some shoulder mods and the giant hammer and a new paint scheme. He looks to be a good larger scale Ultra Magnus for a Transformers Prime Collection. I was hoping for a fit into classics, but it doesn't quite get there for me.

Tetsuwan Convoy
24th June 2013, 05:27 PM
Was cruising the shops again and had another look, this time with the missus on hand. Some other guy was checking it out at the time, obviously trying to convince HIS missus that he should get one.

Anyway, I opened it up, my missus had a look. The first words she said; "Box is nice, but the toy looks cheap"

Wa ha ha ha ha! And she generally ignores toys. Oh gold. Said loud enough for the other guy's missus to hear too. Dude, if you are on the board and we snaffled your chance for the toy, I am sorry.:p

Ravagecat
25th June 2013, 08:45 AM
Cheers for the review Billygoat :)

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks this toy looks cheap though. I went out to Target last week with full intentions of buying this toy but as soon as I opened the cover and saw the quality of it (especially that awful toddler bash the turtle style hammer) I immediately closed the lid and put it back on the shelf. I'll probably only get this TF if Target put them on clearance, but wont go out of my way or hold my breath in anticipation. I'm much happier with my first series TF Prime UM :cool:

BigTransformerTrev
25th June 2013, 08:56 AM
I bought the TFPRiD Ultra Magnus which wasn't a bad toy, but in the end does not look much like the cartoon incarnation.

I think I will end up picking up this figure so I've got a cartoon accurate UM if I can get it for 1/2 price. Considering I may not be able to get either of the other YOTS figures I may as well grab this guy.

GoktimusPrime
25th June 2013, 10:14 AM
I don't mind if the toy doesn't look like the cartoon, but it just looks like a bad toy. :/
TFPRiD Ultra Magnus isn't as cartoon-like either, but I actually think he's a reasonably good toy. A bit shellformery, and the transparent blue parts kinda bug me (as they do on all TFPRiD Commanders and Voyagers); but it kinds blends in with the rest of the blue of the toy, so it doesn't look as bad as on some other TFPRiD figures. I got BH Ultra Magnus because he does look more like the show (and also because I skipped TFPRiD Voyager OP, so it's a whole new mould for me) -- but in all honesty I find TFPRiD Ultra Magnus to be the better toy. And it wins a lot of points for me because it's a wholly original mould and not a retool, which feels more like a cop-out.

I don't have Weaponiser Optimus Prime either, cos that toy just looks like donkey. I might get this toy if I can't find any other TFs I wanna get at Target's sale - just as a 'consolation' so I don't walk away from the sale empty handed. I admit this is a pretty dumb reason to get the toy. :p I'm most likely gonna keep it sealed, because I already have two other TFP Ultra Magni that are opened to play with. If I can find Omega Supreme at Big W's sale, I'd get that instead and refund Craponiser Ultra Magnus. ;)

BigTransformerTrev
25th June 2013, 09:33 PM
Just picked mine up at the Target sale tonight for $39

Looks great! Lovely packaging too (and he will most likely live in his box since I already have a Weaponizer prime to play with).

Well worth the money in my opinion :)

Wheelie
25th June 2013, 09:57 PM

Looks great! Lovely packaging too (and he will most likely live in his box since I already have a Weaponizer prime to play with).

Got one to, I also like the look of the toy, just not the red hands....

Holdobot
25th June 2013, 10:01 PM

Me too! I also found today, at a local Kmart the Voyager BH Ultra, Score...

http://holdobotvsfordacon.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/photo-2.jpg

GoktimusPrime
26th June 2013, 12:10 AM
I got one too from Target's sale. Not sure if I wanna keep it... if I find Omega Supreme at Big W tomorrow night, then Ultra Magnus is going straight back to Target. ;)

liegeprime
26th June 2013, 12:30 AM
Hmmm, even at sale price, nah. I really just want the Hammer:p

reillyd
26th June 2013, 03:04 AM

Forge of Solus? Sold!

How many times in your life are you going to collect an artefact of the original 13? (12 more times?)

BigTransformerTrev
26th June 2013, 09:35 PM
Forge of Solus? Sold!

How many times in your life are you going to collect an artefact of the original 13? (12 more times?)

Yeah the hammer is bitchin!

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b615/BigAngryTrev/P1000571_zps29824db2.jpg (http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/BigAngryTrev/media/P1000571_zps29824db2.jpg.html)

drahsrebu
26th June 2013, 09:49 PM
Picked up one this morning as well. Though when I got it home the first thing the missus said was how cheap it looked:rolleyes: all I could say was "he has a cool hammer though" she was glad I only spent the $39 on him. Also got hold of the voyager Magnus at the local Toyworld (she doesn't know about him yet:D)

Gasaraki
26th June 2013, 10:09 PM
Well upon inspection the box looks very nice due mainly to the artwork, but I think the cardboard feels cheap and it colours look faded as if it was a photocopy of a copy, not an original print. The toy itself inside looks decent, however it really needs something more like metallic paint on the hammer... I was hoping for a fit into classics, but it doesn't quite get there for me.

I see what you mean... I think it's mainly the back panel where the colors really are quite faded, and does look a bit like a poor copy. The front is up to par I think, and it's also got embossing, so at least that sets it apart a little, not to mention the gold stuff which we rarely see. Omega Supreme box has thicker front flaps for sure, but the rest is similar...

I aim for Classics G1 fit myself, and yeah, just the size class itself is enough to disqualify this guy from fitting in...

Me too! After being in the negative about this guy, I changed my mind and got him today.... good value overall, and I'm likely going to use that hammer with the PRiD Voyager or City Commander, if it fits!!

I think I'll find some place at work to stash that box... :p

Bidoofdude
26th June 2013, 10:27 PM
Want to pick this guy up tomorrow. ;)

Zommael
27th June 2013, 02:04 PM
As I had a cycling accident on Tuesday, I was stuck at home all day, but my girlfriend went up to Target and bought me this and a complete set of Iron Man Marvel Legends figures.

I really like the toy. There's a lot of sculpted detail on him, the hammer is very cool, and he has more paint apps than the average TF. The gimmick is effective without interfering with the toy. The alt mode is unconvincing as hell but that's okay, he can stay in robot mode.

Did anyone else look for the 30th anniversary logo and 3/30 sign on the inside flap and not find it? Mine appears to be missing those two marks completely.

Gasaraki
27th June 2013, 09:46 PM
Did anyone else look for the 30th anniversary logo and 3/30 sign on the inside flap and not find it? Mine appears to be missing those two marks completely.

It's a single sticker printed on transparent plastic... and since it's a sticker it can easily have been removed (or not affixed in the first place). No big deal I reckon.

Hope you get well soon.

KickerrBlack
27th June 2013, 10:15 PM
I found mine at Target Campbelltown Mall tonight with they Toy Sale price of $40, so I'm really happy that I didn't have to pay $79. I'm loving the figure and haven't been able to put it down since I got home, probably because I haven't got the OP version. The only little thing that bugs me for some strange reason, is that the gun is completely white. I don't know why but it's bugging the hell out of me, but still really diggin the toy :D

liegeprime
27th June 2013, 11:22 PM
Me too! After being in the negative about this guy, I changed my mind and got him today.... good value overall, and I'm likely going to use that hammer with the PRiD Voyager or City Commander, if it fits!!

I think I'll find some place at work to stash that box... :p

lemme know if it does fit, somehow. pics as well if your up to it. hmmm trying to hide it from the missus? heheheeh

Gasaraki
28th June 2013, 03:12 AM
lemme know if it does fit, somehow. pics as well if your up to it. hmmm trying to hide it from the missus? heheheeh

Pics below... fits well with all three other figures I have here, a little looser on the lower handle. Have to say, fitting those City Commander legs never cease to be hair-raising scary! And well, not really hiding it from the missus... more like don't want to take up more space at home! ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/iling79/Transformers/DSC_0372.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/iling79/media/Transformers/DSC_0372.jpg.html)

'Somehow, these really do NOT cut it...'

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/iling79/Transformers/DSC_0376.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/iling79/media/Transformers/DSC_0376.jpg.html)

'This is... Ooomph.... much better! Gotta work on those thighs!'
I like this figure, esp with the waist articulation, but the loose hip joints make it wanna fall flat on its face with the weight of the Forge

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/iling79/Transformers/DSC_0380.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/iling79/media/Transformers/DSC_0380.jpg.html)

'I make this look easier than it really is'
Interestingly, the 6 year-old Classics Voyager ends up being far more steady, even though some of the joints on mine are not the tightest

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/iling79/Transformers/DSC_0382.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/iling79/media/Transformers/DSC_0382.jpg.html)

Now THIS is where it's at!

Ultra Mackness
28th June 2013, 05:38 AM
Thanks for those photos Gasaraki, I think it really fits with the city commander set, looks great!

GoktimusPrime
28th June 2013, 09:13 AM
Since getting Omega Supreme I've decided to offload my Plat Ed. Ultra Magnus (already have a buyer) :)

Interestingly, the 6 year-old Classics Voyager ends up being far more steady, even though some of the joints on mine are not the tightest
The joys of a toy that's not reverse-engineered from a cartoon model and designed purely as a toy first! *sigh* I really wish Hasbro would go back to making Transformers this way. :/

UltraMarginal
28th June 2013, 09:51 AM
Nice pics, that hammer looks like it scales well with everything.

SkyWarp91
29th June 2013, 06:40 AM
Gonna lay-by this bad boy for that SEXY HAMMER!

jaydisc
29th June 2013, 03:09 PM
I was pretty excited about this when I heard about the sale until I saw it in the box. I thought it was going to be the voyager, but it's a hideously cheap looking Ultra. Easily the cheapest looking "Platinum Edition" toy I've seen as well.

Gasaraki
29th June 2013, 04:55 PM
Nice pics, that hammer looks like it scales well with everything.

Thanks for those photos Gasaraki, I think it really fits with the city commander set, looks great!

Yeah, I don't think I got the best dynamic pose I could, but I was mainly trying to conceal that awkward grip you have to use. As such, the pic above doesn't do it justice, but I do think the Forge fits City Commander best of all. Here's a more standard pose, which my bro had mistaken for a Gundam before :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/iling79/Transformers/DSC_0384.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/iling79/media/Transformers/DSC_0384.jpg.html)

I don't want to go off topic here too much, but I think City Commander is legendary, and this adds even more to it!

The joys of a toy that's not reverse-engineered from a cartoon model and designed purely as a toy first! *sigh* I really wish Hasbro would go back to making Transformers this way. :/

Can't agree more... Those older Classics Voyagers are quite special and remain some of my favorite figures. I do like the PRiD Voyager, as it has some very nice features, including the all important (IMO) waist swivel, although I wasn't able to take advantage of this thanks to the weak hips :( If comes to a throw down, I'd take Classics any day.

lancalot
1st July 2013, 01:34 AM
I just got this guy after watching the latest prime epi ...and i got to say the plastic feels cheap...but the figure itself is quiet nice ...robot mode looks good ...lots of detail on him ... the truck mode is totally stupid using the hammer to cover the hole in the back legs ...QC issues.. my one has stress marks on the side hinge where the arm fold out on both sides ..plus nothing really line up properly in truck mode and also look really funny with the shoulder side things ..... And why does the hammer need a extra handle to be held? :confused:

Paulbot
1st July 2013, 08:08 AM
Looked at this at Target yesterday and agree with the comments it looks like a KO. I think it's the very primary shades of red and blue and the particular shade of white that do it no favours. The Hasbro grey on the Voyager TFPrime Magnus toys actually looks better than that bright white.

Sinnertwin
1st July 2013, 01:09 PM
And why does the hammer need a extra handle to be held? :confused:

To assist with certain poses?

Gasaraki
1st July 2013, 04:45 PM
...plus nothing really line up properly in truck mode and also look really funny with the shoulder side things ..... And why does the hammer need a extra handle to be held? :confused:

To assist with certain poses?

Hmmm... I did have to fiddle around a little to make sure I was getting things to click into place, otherwise I found that it was very easy to end up with bits not quite fitting right, and feel like things are really not lining up. I didn't use the instructions (which is usual for me, and probably for most people?), but they might help clarify things.

I think the hammer handles are actually quite logical and realistic... a Warhammer (or similar large weapon) can really only be carried near the head (or you'd drag it along the ground), whereas when swinging it you'd have one hand near the end of the handle and another closer to the head.

What is annoying, of course, is that the thickness of the actual handle means that Hasbro had to make artificial handles protrude out to facilitate the standard 5mm grips. These are not pretty, but the compromise would've been to make a too thin handle, or make non-standard grip size for Magnus's hands.

Gouki
3rd July 2013, 01:00 PM
Picked this guy up from Target this morning, and for $39 I'm really impressed. Not sure how impressed I'd be at full cost, but for now? Yeah, I'd recommend him pretty easily.

Though I do wish his blues were lighter.

Holdobot
3rd July 2013, 09:30 PM
Picked this guy up from Target this morning, and for $39 I'm really impressed. Not sure how impressed I'd be at full cost, but for now? Yeah, I'd recommend him pretty easily.

Though I do wish his blues were lighter.

I got him too, and agree completely. At $79 I think I would be a little disappointed, but at the $39 I am happy 😀

Ae-Evolution
5th July 2013, 03:18 AM
Mine finally made it into store today. Funny thing was, They just gave me the hasbro box, multiples I received. Love him. Shoulders are the only downside for me, a flaw is the my mini guns aren't in sync. The hammer, I wish I had more of them, goes really well with Go! Prime. Anyone know what the little clip on the centre of the hammer is for?

Gouki
5th July 2013, 08:29 AM
Mine finally made it into store today. Funny thing was, They just gave me the hasbro box, multiples I received. Love him. Shoulders are the only downside for me, a flaw is the my mini guns aren't in sync. The hammer, I wish I had more of them, goes really well with Go! Prime. Anyone know what the little clip on the centre of the hammer is for?

Is the little clip on the end of the hammer so it can clip onto the truck?

GoktimusPrime
5th July 2013, 12:15 PM
a flaw is the my mini guns aren't in sync.
You should be able to get an exchange. I saw 2 Plat Eds UMs at a Target yesterday, so they're not exactly flying off shelves even at 50% off.

Ae-Evolution
5th July 2013, 03:52 PM
Is the little clip on the end of the hammer so it can clip onto the truck?

No, there is a little clip looking thing on the side of the hammer.

You should be able to get an exchange. I saw 2 Plat Eds UMs at a Target yesterday, so they're not exactly flying off shelves even at 50% off.

Not worth the effort. Luckily I got the second one.

Jetfire in the sky
31st July 2013, 04:03 PM
So i finally picked mine up today from Target after a few weeks waiting through online shopping. I saw this in the store at the $79 price point and thought no way and was late onto the $39 sale price but just scraped in with the online option. My UM will be safe and sound in his box (quite possibly until I die :D) where I think he looks great. Certainly looks a bit cheap and crappy if you look closer, and as seen in the truck mode pictures is a bit unrealistic. I'm not a modern TF buyer, but I am keen to do the thrilling 30 whatever it takes, and I must say the YOTS packaging is very nice.
Overall a nice item but one that I would not pay regular price for...................... or ever want to play with :cool: