PDA

View Full Version : The Dark knight

Soundwarp
16th July 2008, 08:31 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v739/soundwarp/The_Dark_Knight_poster.jpg

Weee i booked my gold class tickets for tomorrow at 9am..........

Anone else going to see it??

komikskolektor
16th July 2008, 08:32 AM
yeah, im going to the iMAX SCREENING

iceburn
16th July 2008, 09:07 AM
same here....IMAX it is...
but haven't got tickets yet.

STL
16th July 2008, 09:32 AM
I think I'll settle for Melb Central. IMAX's screen is just a bit too big for me.

JuzMel
16th July 2008, 09:45 AM
Quick bro! Let me know when you get it, won't wanna watch it without You and Yen, it was OUR date remember!

iceburn
16th July 2008, 09:47 AM
Quick bro! Let me know when you get it, won't wanna watch it without You and Yen, it was OUR date remember!

can only confirm tonight...
gonna go buy tickets after work...

Pulse
16th July 2008, 10:12 AM
Can't wait to see this... :D

etht26
16th July 2008, 10:38 AM
i'm just watching it at southland... i thanks v max is good enough

Lord_Zed
16th July 2008, 11:11 AM
Holly hangrenades the new Batman move is here.

Quick Robin to the Batmobile! :D

I've never been a huge Batman fan, but the last movie won me over.

"And how come Batman doesn't dance anymore?"

stencilator
16th July 2008, 11:26 AM
I'm going TONIGHT!!!! My friends got me a couple of the fancy seats for my birthday. I'm so pumped I'm about to pop.

llamatron
16th July 2008, 04:05 PM
Just got back from it.

AMAZING.

Kyle
18th July 2008, 08:52 AM
Saw it last night. The movie was very, very dark.

iceburn
18th July 2008, 09:09 PM
missed out tickets for IMAX!! triple drats....
anyway, hope there will be tickets for tomorrow at Chaddy!!

iceburn
18th July 2008, 09:14 PM
missed out tickets for IMAX!! triple drats....
anyway, hope there will be tickets for tomorrow at Chaddy!!

Soundwarp
19th July 2008, 09:12 AM
Awesome!

Pulse
19th July 2008, 11:29 AM
I've heard Two-Face makes a suprise appearance... :)

Soundwarp
19th July 2008, 02:22 PM
Oh hell yes he does dude!!!!

Paulbot
19th July 2008, 04:02 PM
Great movie. Heath Ledger was a fantastic Joker.

I thought it many ways it reminded me of Burton's first Batman movie too.

Love that Gotham is a real city in these movies.

And they did the Bond thing they should always do in a Batman movie but spoilers apply to me mentioning it, but I absolutely loved it!

"And how come Batman doesn't dance anymore?"
:D

Kyle
19th July 2008, 04:39 PM
This one is so good... When will they make a 3rd one...? :p

bassbot
20th July 2008, 01:53 PM
man this one was so very freakin awesome.

so hard for words to convey how good.
it wasn't just dark for me, intense, epic... argh. so good!

gonna go see this again soon!

kup
20th July 2008, 02:14 PM
SPOILER ALERT:

Well I thought it was one of the greatest movies in the past 5-8 years. It was freaking awesome.

I was expecting Ledger's acting to be over praised for obvious reason but all that praise is well deserved, he portrayed an excellent joker that rivals and possibly surpasses Jack Nicholson's performance. As some of you may recall, I was very aprehensive of the Joker's new 'unkept/dirty' look but Ledger's performance was spot on and the look no longer bothered me when matched to his behaviour and Ideology.

Plot wise? It was awesome, it wasn't a typical 'bad guys start winning and then the good guy kicks their asses at the end' Hollywood super hero plot. It was dark and nasty and despite the unrealistic nature of Batman and his gadgets, the world he inhabited was eerily realistic as it was all about studying human nature and behaviour in extreme circumstances.

Two Face was also excellently done, I first thought that they were setting up Harvey Dent for the next movie but it all happened within the plot of this movie and provided an excellent metaphor on how the greatest of all can also fall down. There was also a lot of emphasis on the power of symbolism which was nice, definitely not a movie for only sheep to enjoy.

Another thing that keeps Dark Knight above most other super hero movies (or movies in general) is that the good guy doesn't really win at the end and the conclusion is rather 'gray' with both the bad guy and the good guy accomplishing defining victories and just canceling each other out but in my view, the Joker won because what happened to Harvey actually made his ideological point.

Now the trick is how will they be able to have the Joker in the next movie? He made such a massive impact in this movie for him to just be locked up somewhere and remain there. The Joker in Dark Knight stopped been a human and was basically a force of chaos so it doesn't fit that by the next movie such an unstoppable force be left sitting down in a cell.

Ledger's characterisation and performance of the joker was very unique, it will be very hard to find an actor able to pull it off without him seeming like 'another joker'.

Overall: Awesome movie, first movie in several years that had me walking out of the cinema with a sense of awe like I had when watching 80s and 90s movies.

Tiby
20th July 2008, 05:46 PM
I'm a Batman fan from way back and I am impressed. Some bits annoyed me, like [SPOILER]: when he bent the gun at the beginning - he's not superman!, but overall, a very intense, non-stop film. I thought the part in Hong Kong was pure Batman at his best.

Bartrim
20th July 2008, 09:42 PM
I really enjoyed it. I'm not too certain of Batman mythology (hopefully someone can help clarify if i say something wrong) but is that the first time The Joker has been portrayed as young? I always thought The Joker killed Bruce Waynes parents so he was older. I always considered The Joker to be a bit more classier and well presented so I wasn't too sure on this version. Needless to say Ledger proved me wrong I thought he was brillant.

It's just a shame he died so he cant continue with the role:(

Kyle
20th July 2008, 09:46 PM
I always thought The Joker killed Bruce Waynes parents so he was older.

This was never the case in the comics. They made Joker the killer of Wayne's parents in the Tim Burton movie.

Bartrim
20th July 2008, 09:48 PM
This was never the case in the comics. They made Joker the killer of Wayne's parents in the Tim Burton movie.

Thank you for clearing that up. I was more of an X-Men fan growing up.:)

Kyle
20th July 2008, 09:52 PM
Avengers fan here. :D

Tiby
21st July 2008, 07:57 AM
I thought the messy Joker was going to be too weird for me, but Heath pulled it off nicely. Joker in the comics was a fastidious freak who was always a perfectionist, but the makers of this series of movies are going for the "what if this was real" factor.

Bartrim
21st July 2008, 09:07 AM

That's acceptable. For some strange reason growing up around these parts anyonewho read DC comics was ridiculed. I can't remember why we did that but we did. We were a wierd little mob.

kup
21st July 2008, 09:12 AM
That's acceptable. For some strange reason growing up around these parts anyonewho read DC comics was ridiculed. I can't remember why we did that but we did. We were a wierd little mob.

You lived in the Sutherland shire?

Pulse
21st July 2008, 09:48 AM

You're lucky you guys don't live in Innisfail (then you deserve to be ridiculed... :D)

Bartrim
21st July 2008, 09:53 AM

No I grew up in the Shoalhaven. What is your problem with the shire Kup? I'm guessing you have some bad experiences with some locals. Just after the racial abuse I suffered in my teen years I'm generally opposed to generalisations so unless the whole shire has ganged up on you for whatever reason could you please let it go... and yes I do have couple of very close friends who are born and rised shire boys.

Mods I apologise for taking this thread off track.

Back to The Batman.

I loved The Jokers "magic trick" when he meets the mobsters.

Oh and Maggie Gyllenhall craps over Katie Holmes IMO.

kup
21st July 2008, 10:14 AM
No, I just hate the Shire.

I have lived in several parts of the Northern Beaches and the Central Coast (during my youth I averaged a new home every 2 years) but the worse place that I have lived at was the Shire not for the look of the area but the people who inhabit it.

Its nothing to do with race, more the culture of the area. At school I was always able to make friends with others and prided myself in been accepted within all the differen social groups (nerds, goths, cool, etc) and was fine but in the Shire, I just didn't want to hang around with anyone, I actually rather be alone than the sorts I found there. It was strange and disliked the whole atmosphere (still do). I only lasted 6 months in the Shire School before I convinced my mother to go back to the Central Coast where I finished Highschool.

After that My mother moved back and because I was severely ill; I had no say in it and was forced to live in the Shire for several years until my illness was cured and finally got back onto my own two feet and moved out of the area which for me was a hell hole.

---

Back to Batman, someone in the Don Murphy Board is saying that the bad guy for the next film was hinted but he is not giving it away. Anyone else saw anything like this?

i_amtrunks
21st July 2008, 11:32 AM
Back to Batman, someone in the Don Murphy Board is saying that the bad guy for the next film was hinted but he is not giving it away. Anyone else saw anything like this?

My only thought was Catwoman.
Catwoman was because of the throwaway line at the beginning about the new Batsuit protecting him from cats which made no sense, because the new suit was more susceptible to knives and bullets, and Cats are all claws/knives). The fact that Dawes is out of the picture, a new love interest perhaps?

I have also read that there is speculation that the character who wanted to reveal Batman could end up as the Riddler (but since the Riddler is a genius and that guy was not, it would be a stretch).

Anywho, about the actual film, I loved it, Ledger was outstanding, my gf was freaking out because he gave her the creeps, he should win an Oscar for Best Supporting Actor, but he wont because the academy cannot let Comic book movies win anything but Technical awards (which it should win plenty).
I did love that almost everything that was blown up was really blown up, not CGI, and not at all cheesy or cheap looking, like Michael Bay explosions.

The characters were extremely well written, this was no popcorn flick, this was really nitty gritty, better acted and directed than many "serious drama" films that have been released in the past 5 years.

This is one of those films that will only get better with repeated viewings, and it should be a film considered for higher education studies on the human psyche.

loophole
21st July 2008, 05:10 PM
saw The Dark Knight last night it was so awesome!!!! loved the Joker

Lord_Zed
21st July 2008, 05:22 PM
My only thought was Catwoman.
Catwoman was because of the throwaway line at the beginning about the new Batsuit protecting him from cats which made no sense, because the new suit was more susceptible to knives and bullets, and Cats are all claws/knives). The fact that Dawes is out of the picture, a new love interest perhaps?

I have also read that there is speculation that the character who wanted to reveal Batman could end up as the Riddler (but since the Riddler is a genius and that guy was not, it would be a stretch).

I read somewhere that for the next film they wanted to go back to using Villains who haven't appeared much on the bigscreen, or were to hard to potray in the realistic gritty world they've fashioned. Can't recall where but one of the directors implied for those reasons Catwoman and The Penguin were definately out of the running.

But yes it was an awesome film. So chances are the next one will be crummy like most recent Superhero trilolgies.

Pulse
22nd July 2008, 02:51 PM
Watched it today for only $9 & I've gotta say - it was pretty bloody good! :)

Warning - Spoilers Ahead

A couple of things seemed to stand out to me:

# It kinda felt like a movie with 2 halves with the 2nd half beginning with The Joker being in jail. Atleast they kept the tempo of the movie up in these scenes... :)

# With the way in which they told "the Harvey Dent Story" throughout the first 2/3rds of the movie, I was certain that he was going to be the major villain in the next movie. The Joker talking to him in the hospital got me thinking that maybe we were gonna see the 2 of them working together? But Two-Face only existed for a short time & he didn't even kill anyone?

# The last scene we see The Joker in is when he's hanging out of the back window of the police car - & that's it? :confused:

# It was great to see Scarecrow for a moment too in the opening scene :)

All in all, I'd give it 9 out of 10 :)

Oh & regarding all this talk that Heath will get a posthumous Oscar, Has an actor/actress in a Superhero Movie ever won an Oscar? Heath nailed the Joker perfectly so... we'll just have to wait & see :)

i_amtrunks
22nd July 2008, 03:13 PM
# With the way in which they told "the Harvey Dent Story" throughout the first 2/3rds of the movie, I was certain that he was going to be the major villain in the next movie. The Joker talking to him in the hospital got me thinking that maybe we were gonna see the 2 of them working together? But Two-Face only existed for a short time & he didn't even kill anyone?

I think he killed 5 cops or something. Thats why after Batman had taken him out the blame for those deaths had to be accredited to Batman in order to save Dent's public image.

The last scene we see The Joker in is when he's hanging out of the back window of the police car - & that's it? :confused:

Unless I'm really confused about what you are talking about, the Joker rode around in the cop car after escaping the PD, then he went to the Hospital, followed by the building he was in during the ferry saga? The last we see of him is upsidedown, right near the climax of the film.

Pulse
22nd July 2008, 03:23 PM
Unless I'm really confused about what you are talking about, the Joker rode around in the cop car after escaping the PD, then he went to the Hospital, followed by the building he was in during the ferry saga? The last we see of him is upsidedown, right near the climax of the film.

Yeah, I think I got myself all muddled up :confused: & reading over the plot (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Knight_(film)#Plot) tells me my short-term memory is more than just a little off... :rolleyes: :o

jaydisc
22nd July 2008, 11:41 PM
I just got back from IMAX and I think I would recommend against it. There's a bit too much fast action and a bit too much darkness and the IMAX screen is just too big.

I'm still processing the plot and everything else. The only thing I am sure about is how awesome the Joker character was.

Robzy
30th July 2008, 01:05 PM
OMG!!! :eek: This is THE BEST BATMAN MOVIE EVER MADE!!!

I absolutely LOVE Batman - I'm a huge fan - I loved Burton's vision, and I totally loved Batman Begins!

But this movie is something else... it's got to join the ranks of films like Aliens, Empire Strikes Back, etc... as a sequel that is better than the original!

Ledger's Joker - I'm speechless! It was the best Joker I've ever seen! Totally insane and frightening!

Harvey was fantastic! Rachel (the new one) is so much better! Hell, even Batman himself was the most interesting version of this character!

Christopher Nolan is an EXCELLENT Director! I hope his peers take notice of him!

TheDirtyDigger
30th July 2008, 01:35 PM
This was excellent....for a movie.

It really can't compare to a comic like Arkham Asylum or The Dark Knight Returns but yeah....as a movie it was one of the best.

Couple of things p'd me off though....

SPOILERS:

1) Plot hole: Bats saves Rachel at the party by jumping out the window after her....AND THAT'S IT! Cut to the next day. What about getting off your ass Bats and running back up the building where the Joker and his buddies still have YOUR party held hostage and doing god knows what to them????
How did the Joker get out of the building? Shouldn't the cops be there by now??? *sigh*
I hate me a plot hole!

2) Two-Face shouldn't have died. So wrong. Great character who we only got to see a little of and he was dead after only 5 murders. Such a waste of potential. Wrong, wrong, wrong. Next time let me write the script.

But yeah, all in all it was great........for Hollywood.

Robzy
30th July 2008, 05:37 PM
Well, that's assuming Two-Face is actually dead! ;)

STL
12th August 2008, 11:40 PM

+1! X-Men used to be good.

Oh and Maggie Gyllenhall craps over Katie Holmes IMO.

But that's not very hard, is it? ;)

I'm still processing the plot and everything else. The only thing I am sure about is how awesome the Joker character was.

I finally got around to seeing it and I'm still processing the movie too. It's very dense and definitely not your typical hollywood movie.

(And there is one thing I'm sure of in all this and that's the fact that I want a Tumbler!)