PDA

View Full Version : (JUNE-2013) Robots In Disguise Era Cartoon - Reviews and Favourites

griffin
17th June 2013, 01:07 PM
Robots in Disguise was a quick filler series for Hasbro, after the quick axing of Beast Machines. It only lasted a year, and was reworked from the Japanese series "Car Robots".

Details of this series can be read up here (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Transformers:_Robots_in_Disguise_%28franchise%29).

Did you watch any of the Beast Machines cartoon?
If so, what did you think of it?

Any Episodes worth reviewing?

Are any of the episodes recommended viewing for others?

MayzaPrime
17th June 2013, 06:28 PM
Anything were Sky-Byte was scheming against the Decepticons is always a good watch.

Episodes 14 Decepticons & 15 Commandos are great episodes

Episodes 24 Ultra Magnus & 25 Ultra Magnus Forced Fusion are also worth a mention.

Tetsuwan Convoy
17th June 2013, 06:33 PM
This was the series that got me back into transformers. Optimus and magnus combine, do they form Kickarsimus Prime?
Episodes? What mayza said.
Oh and the fortress maximus episodes.

christalcase
17th June 2013, 06:37 PM
To be honest, story-wise, I think most of the episodes in RiD was boring and it generally lacked a compelling overarching story line. That said, it is still quite entertaining to watch. I loved the way that there are so many combiners in the series and it's the only series where I thought the stock footage of the transformations didn't get old or repetitive.

The latter part of the show improved greatly though, the plot where Megatron corrupts Autobot protoforms to form the Combaticons was great, and I loved how they explained why Scourge looked so similar to Optimus (and to play on that fact in the Fortress Maximus arc too). The first time Optimus combines with Ultra Magnus was amazing (I particularly love the "handshake combination, very unique aspect there) and unexpected. The ending was a bit disappointing in that Fortress Maximus just appears there and does nothing. I was hoping he'll go on a rampage and destroy everything and the Autobots somehow stop him.

MayzaPrime
17th June 2013, 06:45 PM
All I can say is...

Whos the baddest shark around
Whos the smartest shark in town
Sky-Byte thats me!
Who drives Scourge into the ground and never lets old Megatron down
Sky-Byte thats me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DplkFnLBNCA

Autocon
23rd June 2013, 09:47 PM
Can you buy this on dvd in Aus somewhere?

Ravagecat
25th June 2013, 10:27 AM
Can you buy this on dvd in Aus somewhere?

Not that I have been able to find. I had to import the box sets from the UK (jetix is the publisher)

As for the questions in this thread:

Did you watch any of the Beast Machines RID cartoon?

Yes the whole series

Not bad IMO - Decent story line, good comic value and easy to watch animation. Love the catchy intro :p

The Decepticons, Ultra Magnus: Forced Fusion, The two faces of ultra magnus.

Battle Protocol, The Decepticons, Ultra Magnus: Forced Fusion, Koji gets his wish (you will appreciate this more if you have watched the series from the start), The two faces of ultra magnus, Maximus Emerges, The final battle

BigTransformerTrev
27th June 2013, 12:07 PM
Did you watch any of the RID cartoon?
I've watched a few episodes. I wasn't really a fan of it along with Armada, Energon & Cybertron. I guess I should give it more of a go.

TBA

Anything showing off the Autobot combiner teams is pretty cool

GoktimusPrime
10th July 2013, 08:08 PM
The series is aimed at a very young audience, and in that context it's a reasonably well made show. I'd recommend it for younger audiences; as for adults, it's not a bad show to watch - you just need to keep in mind that it is aimed at kids (and not at all aimed at adults like say Beast Wars). But it's not badly aimed at kids like say Transformers Go!. So I think it is still a watchable show for adults so long as you keep mindful that we're not its target audience. :o As Neil Kaplan says, there is something incredibly noble about Fire Convoy/RiD Optimus Prime transforming into a fire engine, because it means that he's a hero all the time; i.e. even when he's not fighting 'Cons, he's fighting fires and involved in rescue. In fact, the very first time we see him in the first episode is when he's disguised as a regular fire engine and is helping to extinguish a fire. And when he chooses to "break cover," he even excuses himself from the attending fire chief (who then freaks out that his engine just spoke to him!).

I watched the Robots In Disguise dub while it was aired on TV and didn't think it was terribly good... RiD has bits here and there cut out and has intermittent CGI stuff added in (Pred-o-vision?) which looked kinda daft, but nowhere near as bad as G2's Cybernet Space Cube. ;)

Car Robot has really good theme music to it, both "Burning Overdrive" as the opening and "Marionette" as the ending. 2 weeks ago my daughter started combining lyrics from "Burning Overdrive" with the opening theme of Super-God Masterforce (we were driving and she started singing to herself in the back of the car :p). The RiD theme is, what I find, a rather mediocre rendering of the original G1 theme and doesn't really sing about anything terribly relevant to the RiD series itself and just feels really generic.

FIRE!!

i_amtrunks
10th July 2013, 08:38 PM
Car robots more than any series before or since reminded me of the Power Rangers /Sentai series. it was mostly formulaic for the first half to three quarters of the series. It started breaking the patter it had set itself when the Combaticons got a bit much to handle and with Magnus being Magnus, Galvatron getting his powerup etc, it got interesting quickly in the final 10 or so episodes.

Didnt care for the human side of the story at all.

RiD was very much a transformers comedy, especially in the dub, where I do not believe whether the producers themselves ever decided to play it serious or as a send up off Sentai style shows.

Some interesting ideas and concepts with combiners, factions and Skybyte that have not been replicated since.

doublespy
10th July 2013, 10:44 PM
I watched subbed Car Robot when I was overseas in the early 2000s, and I actually prefer Car Robot to RiD. The comical effects got lost somehow in the dub..Gelshark is actually funnier than Sky-bite:o

Alo the BGM for Car Robot is worth listening to.

GoktimusPrime
11th July 2013, 02:27 PM
I watched subbed Car Robot when I was overseas in the early 2000s, and I actually prefer Car Robot to RiD. The comical effects got lost somehow in the dub..Gelshark is actually funnier than Sky-bite:o
^Totally agree. Also in Car Robot, Gigatron has 6 different voices/personas (10 when he becomes Devil Gigatron) depending on which mode he's in. e.g. Gigabat is like a gangster boss, Gigadragon is this menacing booming monster etc. Kobiyama Kouichi did an impressive job giving each mode a different voice and persona - something that just got lost in the dub as Megatron just sounded the same in every mode. :o

Bartrim
12th July 2013, 09:40 AM
I still have to watch the last 2 episodes of this. I don't know why I haven't watched them. I watched the whole series about 2 years ago except for the last two episodes... I'll probably have to go back and watch a few of the previous episodes to catch up.

doublespy
14th July 2013, 06:24 PM
^Totally agree. Also in Car Robot, Gigatron has 6 different voices/personas (10 when he becomes Devil Gigatron) depending on which mode he's in. e.g. Gigabat is like a gangster boss, Gigadragon is this menacing booming monster etc. Kobiyama Kouichi did an impressive job giving each mode a different voice and persona - something that just got lost in the dub as Megatron just sounded the same in every mode. :o

Ah yes Gigatron was indeed a highlight in Car Robot. Giga-Bat has crazy evil giggles:D

UltraMarginal
15th July 2013, 02:59 PM
[QUOTE=griffin;359821]

Did you watch any of the Beast Machines Robots in disguise cartoon?
I never new it existed till a couple years ago, I've ween watching a couple episodes in the last few months to see what it was all about. (my friend gave me a lend of his box set.)

So far I'm not overly impressed, regardless of the target audience I have always found over the top voices to be frustrating. much of the voice work in this series fits into that category, while some of the others are a bit flat.

I hate it when a character announces their weapon/fighting move as they are about to use it. HATE IT!!:mad::mad:

I am largely watching this to see where long standing elements of fandom interest came from, for example Scourge/Nemesis Prime. I thought that was fairly interesting.

I have enjoyed the polarity between magnus and Prime. a bit different to most other shows.

I don't think I've watched enough yet to give a good opinion. though stuff with magnus seems better than the early stuff.

see my previous answer.

GoktimusPrime
15th July 2013, 11:00 PM
I hate it when a character announces their weapon/fighting move as they are about to use it. HATE IT!!:mad::mad:
+1. It's a reflection of 20th~21st Century Japanese "martial culture." Don't even get me started. :rolleyes: I also find announcing transformations to be just as cringe worthy. In the Japanese dub of Transformers Prime, everyone screams, "TORANSFOOOOOORM!" as they transform (except Bumblebee :p)! (-_-) Then there was Beast Wars/Machines which did the same thing with their 'activation codes,' even though those series didn't even come from Japan! :rolleyes:

I don't know why, but I don't mind it as much on other things like Street Fighter and Dragonball Zed. Really it's all just as silly as each other, but I suppose because it's less conventional for Transformers as it never happened in G1. Transforming, shooting etc. was just stuff that they did like walking.

SUBMIT REPLY!

Tetsuwan Convoy
30th July 2013, 06:10 PM
Then there was Beast Wars...

I think Beast Wars got away with it a bit better as they used Terrorize and Maximise over Transform.IMO.

However I will admit that when they'd do a long Transformation sequence and some cool music kicks in, the Transform yell can add to the majesty. I love how Galaxy Convoy yells Super Mode before going so. Really gets me a going' and you know that somethin' is goin' doooown!:D

I don't know why, but I don't mind it as much on other things like Street Fighter and Dragonball Zed. Really it's all just as silly as each other, but I suppose because it's less conventional for Transformers as it never happened in G1. Transforming, shooting etc. was just stuff that they did like walking.

SUBMIT REPLY!
In regards to Street fighter, I guess it's maybe more interesting than a grunt or something?...:o </clutching straws>

Jetfire in the sky
31st July 2013, 08:05 PM
RID was a very good series, the weapon attack announcements and over and over transformation takes were extrememly annoying in the last 10 episodes, honestly some eps would have run for eight minutes if it weren't for all this. I think the writers had fallen asleep on the job by this time.
The ending is a little heartwarming in that love and kids and stuff save the day. I'm all for positive feelings beating violent lunatics any day. :)