GoktimusPrime
28th June 2013, 12:08 AM
Series - Platinum Edition
Sub-line - Year of the Snake
Size/class - N/A
Wave - N/A
New/remould/redeco - Repaint and retool of Energon Omega Supreme
Released here - June 2013
Approximate Retail Price - $98 (Big W exclusive)
Approximate Size - 36cm to top of head, 37cm to top of shoulder weapon
Allegiance - Autobot
Alt-mode - Battle cruiser & Construction vehicle
Main Features/Gimmicks - rotating turrets, spinning claw arm, Powerlinx ports, Energon chip port
Main Colours - Grey and red
Main Accessories - x2 missiles

------------------------

Pics

In box
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/acquisitions/acquisition_20130627_zps8b8dfe83.jpg

Robot out of box
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/omegasupreme_plated01_zps4c508899.jpg

Close up of head with visor opened
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/omegasupreme_plated02_zpsaaf141c6.jpg

TFwiki image showing all modes (http://tfwiki.net/mediawiki/images2/1/1c/PlatinumEditiontoy-YOTSOmegaSupreme.jpg)

------------------------

Thoughts

PROS
+ Visually a big improvement over Energon Omega Supreme. Gone are the haphazard colours of the original toy, replaced with a more unified colour scheme inspired by G1 Omega Supreme that really works a lot better on this mould. Although the wheels were better coloured on the original, but overall the colours here are an improvement.
+ The claw arm looks really nice and is a good representation of WFC Omega Supreme's claw arm. The way it spins looks cool too.
+ The new head looks fantastic. Great mould and I really like how the visor flips up. Yes, the head is puny, but understandably so since the head needs to be able to tuck inside the chest (whereas the original was a Headmaster). While the Headmaster gimmick on the original toy was really great, I can understand why they've removed it on this toy as it wouldn't have made sense in the context of what is supposed to be an incarnation of G1 Omega Supreme (who originally was never a Headmaster). Still... that Headmaster gimmick was damn fun.
+ Still a simple but fun toy.
+ A really nice packaging style that suits the Year of the Snake Lunar Calendar theme well. The box is designed to resemble the Red Envelopes that are given out to children during Lunar New Year celebrations by some cultures (e.g. Chinese). The box is covered with silhouettes of the Autobot logo with a snake motif with one of them containing the Kanji 癸巳 ("Mizunotomi"), referring to the Year of the Snake in the Sexagenary calendar cycle (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexagenary_cycle). The upright and upside down logos are reminiscent of the way that the Kanji 福 ("fuku": Luck/fortune) is often written on Lunar New Year signs in Chinese culture.

CONS
- The electronic gimmick has been removed. While this personally doesn't bother me, it was admittedly a fairly neat feature of the original toy and an example of the use of a sound gimmick that wasn't too intrusive on the original figure. Somewhat of a shame that it's absent on this incarnation.
- While the loss of the Headmaster gimmick is understandable, it does reduce the play value of this toy.
- The cannon on the back of the head comes off quite easily.
- The red on the front of the Construction Vehicle mode feels too bright for me... would've preferred a darker red like that used on the chest.
- This toy is still fundamentally a big and expensive "Mega Pretender Shell" for Energon Optimus Prime (who's been repainted as Platinum Edition Optimus Prime). The transformation is incredibly simple (even though the instructions claim that it's "Level 3: Advanced"), with the Construction vehicle just being half the robot lying on its side. :/ The Battle cruiser does have a couple more steps to its transformation, but it is still fundamentally the other half lying on its side. Having said that, it's simple but it works... but the G1 toy did it better.
- Three gripes about the packaging: 1) the top panel where the carry handle in is only held together by glue, so I don't recommend actually carrying it by the handle (at least not for any prolonged period of time or if the box is empty); 2) The box art still uses the Energon Omega Supreme art but recoloured - the issue being that the head is still the Headmaster head of Energon OS; 3) friggin' twist ties!!

OVERALL
This toy is clearly intended for collectors. As far as fun play value's concern, the original Energon Omega Supreme is still a better toy as it has more play gimmicks to it, such as a working crane arm, electronic sounds and the incredible Headmaster gimmick that's all been stripped off this toy. But visually this toy does look better and is a fairly decent representation of War For Cybertron Omega Supreme. The retooling on the head and claw arm is really just beautiful. The red wheels make the Construction vehicle look tacky though, and I wish they'd kept the original black and silver colours from the original. Is it really worth $98? Probably not... but it seems to be the cheapest price that I've been able to find for this toy. If you really wanna get this toy, I'd take advantage of the Big W toy sale price now... if it's not a priority, then maybe wait and see if this toy shelf warms and goes down in price later (as Jetwing Optimus Prime did, although admittedly that toy wasn't a store exclusive).

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/avatars/jaam_jaam.gif

UltraMarginal
28th June 2013, 03:16 PM
. Is it really worth $83? Probably not... but it seems to be the cheapest price that I've been able to find for this toy. If you really wanna get this toy, I'd take advantage of the Big W toy sale price now... if it's not a priority, then maybe wait and see if this toy shelf warms and goes down in price later (as Jetwing Optimus Prime did, although admittedly that toy wasn't a store exclusive).

$83? I'm pretty sure it's $99 at my big W, the sale price is the same as the normal price.

Trent
28th June 2013, 07:01 PM
Not. Even. Interested.

Pipesqueak
28th June 2013, 09:55 PM
I love the look of this from the knees up. But the bright red and black lower legs are too distracting and assymetric for my liking.

ILikeSoundwave
28th June 2013, 09:59 PM
I don't know if I should leave mine MISB or open him.:(

Defcon
28th June 2013, 10:20 PM
Totally agree with Gok's review. I picked up this toy because it has quiet a good likeness for a classics Omega Supreme. Sure its really basic to transform, but I mainly wanted this one in robot mode for display, so I'm prepared to let negatives slide. It also wasn't over my budget, would of preferred it to be say a fraction cheaper. I look at it also and its practically begging to be customised. Overall the colours are good, but its that red train and the reds wheels on the right leg need to be changed. I voted only if.

liegeprime
28th June 2013, 11:01 PM
Hmmm Howd you manage to shave off a few more dollars from the price there Gok? Isnt it $98?

Anyways I agree with what you said, but yeah I really wish they didn't strip the electronics, coz at that price range it should've had at least those gimmicks in place, coz the former Energon was around the same price but had all those gimmicks. Especially if they added like, a talking gimmick instead of sound effects only. Would've been awesome!

One thing though I failed to notice and Im glad you pointed out is that the visor opens :D. I guess coz when I noted that the electronics where missing I kinda fixated on that issue . Anyways, still a very nice figure. With this also , my Energon Omega has been placed back to his proper line shelving. :p As he was sorta taking the place for this figure, thought Id repurpose him but with the arrival of this figure, back the older mould figure goes hehehe. I bought mine last few months ago from BBTS , $99 so for it to arrive here and sold on retail... grrrrrrrrrrr - cheaper by a dollar and postage cost too. :mad::mad: daaayuum.

GoktimusPrime
29th June 2013, 01:04 AM
Oops, I've corrected the price to $98. :o

I don't know if I should leave mine MISB or open him.:(
Open!

GoktimusPrime
30th June 2013, 02:02 AM
I've made a thread for posting comparison pics of Omega Supreme here (http://otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?p=362074#post362074) :)

ILikeSoundwave
12th July 2013, 06:49 PM
Open!

Took your advice and opened him up and let me tell you it was totally worth it:D

BigTransformerTrev
12th July 2013, 10:29 PM
Since I have Energon Omega, this guy is staying in the box. Though when Metroplex gets here the temptation to take out all the game-inspired toys for group shots may be more than I can resist ;)

Love the claw arm - very WFC, as is the colour scheme. I still would have loved them to make a WFC Omega with the games alt mode as I thought his alt mode was great. Ah well.

The visor is a bit yellow for me, would have been better orange (though not as orange as Energon Omega) but that's a small complaint.

The box is very cool and ornate, part of the reason this guy will remain MISB for me :)

Overall very happy I got this guy. Got him and Platinum Magnus, but am bypassing the Platnium Prime - wasn't much of a fan of the Energon version and I got that, no way am I getting another one.

Now all they need to do is make a proper WFC Omega, an Animated Omega and a IDW-inspired Omega and I'll be happy - he's one of my top 5 fav characters ever :D:D:D

GoktimusPrime
13th July 2013, 12:12 AM
I have Energon Omega Supreme too, and IMO the amount of retooling and repainting they've done on this toy definitely make it worth opening too. :)

drifand
20th July 2013, 07:07 PM
Love it! every single bit of it! and this is the true true.

To me is a big improvement over G1 and Energon version. I was always tempted by either one of the old version but the Energon version didn't seem right and the G1 version was dated.

Yes I have seen Planet X version but for $500 and the face is just pure gold is not in my best interest for its price.

The transformation was simple and fun to play, I felt like a spoiled kid with the toy!

Would there be anything I like to see changed? Perhaps the other arm as the drill canon making this a drill train would be awesome!

I couldn't get this in store at BigW, had to online order it. I have extras. :)
I felt no regrets on this one as its really a cool toy.

GoktimusPrime
20th July 2013, 10:16 PM
Improvement over the original? Aesthetically in terms of having a more unified colour scheme (the original is fairly haphazard), though the red wheels look cheap. The head does look very nice, but I think the original head is good too. The face sculpting on the new one is better though. But one thing that this version has lost is the Headmaster gimmick, which was a really good and fun gimmick on the original toy. What impressed me about Energon Omega Supreme's Headmaster gimmick was:
+ The Mini-Con/head itself transformed into a smaller facsimile of Omega Supreme (who kinda looked like Omega Spreem too ;)).
+ There's a plate that covers Omega Supreme's face when "Omega Spreem" is in robot mode (reminiscent of the 1987 Headmaster Nebulans)
+ Energon Omega Supreme has a neck (which connects to the Mini-Con), and the neck itself transforms into a head!
It's not quite as good as Armada Overload's Headmaster gimmick TBH, but it's still fairly neat in its own right. So in that department I'd say that Energon Omega Supreme still trumps Plat Ed./YotS Omega Supreme. The new claw arm also looks very nice and spins and all that... but there's limited play value. The claw arm on Energon Omega Supreme actually reaches out and grabs. I understand that it's meant to emulate the claw arm of War For Cybertron Omega Supreme, and it does succeed in doing so. But otherwise this toy still inherits all the flaws of the original Energon Omega Supreme toy; the engineering and transformation is woefully underwhelming and simplistic for a toy of its price point. It is fundamentally a big Mega-Pretender shell for Optimus Prime, making it somewhat lacking as an action figure in its own right.

When comparing contemporary toys with G1 toys, I think it's prudent to be mindful to look at things in context. Energon Omega Supreme came out in 2004 and it was already a fairly disappointing toy by 2004 standards. Omega Supreme came out in 1985 and was reasonably decent by the standards of the day. Yes, it's a total kibble-former, but keep in mind that he was the first base-former. Metroplex and Trypticon came out in 1986; and Metroplex doesn't walk in robot mode. Trypticon does, but his base mode doesn't have a motorised tank. Omega Supreme has both. Energon/YotS Omega Supreme doesn't walk and doesn't roll on its own or have self spinning turrets; for a mould that came nearly 20 years' after the original Omega Supreme, one would expect it to have better exploited advances in toy design/engineering.

Sure, G1 and Energon/YotS Omega Supreme are very much dominated by their gimmicks, but I find that G1 Omega Supreme incorporates them better in making it a fun toy to play with compared to Energon Omega Supreme who I always found to be a rather mediocre figure at best.

Trent
20th July 2013, 11:38 PM
Yes I have seen Planet X version but for $500 and the face is just pure gold is not in my best interest for its price.

:confused:

$300 (http://www.robotkingdom.com/services/eshop/main.php?action=details&CatType=&II=PLANETX001&lang=us). Not $500

Sinnertwin
20th July 2013, 11:44 PM
:confused:

$300 (http://www.robotkingdom.com/services/eshop/main.php?action=details&CatType=&II=PLANETX001&lang=us). Not $500

I suspect drifand may be referring to eBay prices
http://m.ebay.com/search?cad=1&so=12&isNewKw=true&cmd=SREF&call=1&acimp=0&kw=planet+x+genesis&mfs=GOCLK

GoktimusPrime
21st July 2013, 01:48 AM
$300 is still damn expensive... you could buy a Fortress Maximus for that price! :eek:

Defcon
21st July 2013, 10:27 AM
For the 3rd party Genesis, also remember that's $300 in US Dollars, not Australian, and also doesn't include shipping ;) So it will be at least $400 probably more!

Platinum edition on the other hand is a quarter of that price. Its a large figure, and is a good display piece as a classics Omega. It looks good with generations figures, towering over even voyager figures. It may be a overly simple transformer, so its lacking. For this reason its understandable that people who already own the Energon version in the past want to avoid it.

Looking forward to when Hasbro finally gets to doing a proper Omega Supreme with a brand new mold.

Trent
21st July 2013, 11:34 AM
For the 3rd party Genesis, also remember that's $300 in US Dollars, not Australian, and also doesn't include shipping ;) So it will be at least $400 probably more!

Platinum edition on the other hand is a quarter of that price. Its a large figure, and is a good display piece as a classics Omega. It looks good with generations figures, towering over even voyager figures. It may be a overly simple transformer, so its lacking. For this reason its understandable that people who already own the Energon version in the past want to avoid it.

Looking forward to when Hasbro finally gets to doing a proper Omega Supreme with a brand new mold.

I've never liked Energon Omega. I always thought it looked cheap and simple. The alt mode IMO is rather silly with next to zero effort put into it.

Yes I agree Genesis is expensive, that's why I don't own it. But it is an infinitely superior representation of the character (WARNING: The previous sentence is opinion only). When I look at YOTS Omega, it makes me think that at Hasbro they went: "You know, they say you can't polish a turd. But maybe we can give it a fresh coat of paint and a shiny box!":p

drifand
21st July 2013, 12:21 PM
Each have their own here, obviously so fans are restricted to G1 thinking and will stick to the G1 design of What Omega is, a space station.

But I come way back before Transformers was even borned, I seen the Diaclone version and is a kid's toy made into Omega Supreme.

Yes I saw the Planet X from ebay hence the expensive tag.
To me it looked flimsy, nice cannons and claw arms but I like to see Tomy Takara's take on a MP version.

Now for $98 bucks this guy looks solid in the shelf with original G1 colours. The head sculpt is well done. Unlike the Energon version, I was hesitating whether to buy it. Getting the claw hand right was the key selling point.

Mind you, I am more a real robot collector than Transformer's fan collector, so someone who raves about the old Soundwave I won't bother as to me MP 13 surpass it.

drifand
21st July 2013, 12:35 PM
To further understand my view, this is where I begin from

http://www.toyarchive.com/Diaclone/Grandstand/OmegatronMIB1.html

Omega's original design was already dated because I already seen it when I was a 5 year old.

Basically Omega came out as transformers much later.

I understand the frustration of the Energon version because we seen better quality toys from Takara. Realise here I am not mentioning Hasbro because they are normally the lesser quality version.

I have to say, yes if you hated Energon Omega in the first place you wont take a second glance at YOTS version. But for me, this was it for NOW.

Shiny box aside, the toy is fun, imo reminds me enough of the Omega G1 and is just simply awsome.

GoktimusPrime
21st July 2013, 07:35 PM
Each have their own here, obviously so fans are restricted to G1 thinking and will stick to the G1 design of What Omega is, a space station.
I don't have a problem with the alt mode not being a rocket base. That's never been the basis for my criticism of this mould. The issue is the incredibly simplistic and underwhelming engineering and design of the toy for something so big and expensive. The entire transformation is basically split the robot in half, straightened them out and lie them down.

I don't mind if the alt mode is different from the G1 toy. I understand that it's not G1 -- Energon was never G1. The issue is in the engineering/design. Look at Generations Darkmount. His tank mode is entirely different from the space cannon mode of G1 Straxus, but it's a good tank mode and a well designed solid action figure. So I really do quite like the toy because it's well made.

But I come way back before Transformers was even borned, I seen the Diaclone version and is a kid's toy made into Omega Supreme.
Technical point: Omega Supreme wasn't a Diaclone but was from another line called Super Change Robo. The toy's name was Mechabot 1. It wasn't made by Takara, but by another company called Toy Box which was since bought out by Tomy. After Tomy merged with Takara, Takara obtained the rights to the Toy Box Transformer moulds; namely Mechabot 1 and the other robot who was used as Sky Lynx, hence both Omega Supreme and Sky Lynx were reissued in the Encore line. :)
http://pic2.actoys.net/attachment/Mon_0605/99_428_ba7e51aff320e7d.jpg?89

Now for $98 bucks this guy looks solid in the shelf with original G1 colours. The head sculpt is well done. Unlike the Energon version, I was hesitating whether to buy it. Getting the claw hand right was the key selling point.
Oh yeah, visually this toy is great. As I said, the colours work a lot better on this version ('cept the wheels - I would've preferred if they'd kept them the same colour as the original Energon OS), and the new head looks fantastic. It has been criticised for being small, but it needs to be that size in order for it to transform correctly and also connect w/ the YotS Optimus Prime vehicles. So it's really as big as they could make the head without compromising the existing play features on the toy.

But as I said, the issue is the rather substandard engineering/design of the Energon Supreme mould, and this version has further sacrificed some of the original toy's play features to make it look more like War For Cybertron Omega Supreme. The Headmaster gimmick - gone. The transformable neck - gone. The grabbing claw gimmick - gone. It's just a less fun toy to play with. They've taken what was an ordinary toy and made it even more dull (but more visually appealing). Form over function.

To further understand my view, this is where I begin from

Omega's original design was already dated because I already seen it when I was a 5 year old.

Basically Omega came out as transformers much later.
Sure, but as I said by 1980s standards this toy wasn't a bad figure. The robot mode is blocky, but that was commonplace in G1. Articulated robot modes didn't come along until late G2 and wasn't standardised until Beast Wars. Having a blocky robot mode was acceptable by the standards of the day. And if anything, Omega Supreme arguably has better arm and head articulation than a lot of other G1 Transformers. He has 9 points of articulation. And as I said, he does have multiple motorised gimmicks for walking, tank rolling, turret spinning, barrel moving and light up window. Yeah sure, the transformation is pretty much pull every thing apart and put it back together, and you have those annoying little yellow clips (which would be a beeyotch to lose)... but overall it's a reasonably decent toy by G1 standards as the first baseformer. Subsequent baseformers did improve on the design by have far more self contained parts (which isn't hard :p), but also none of them are trying to have a continuous track running around that allows a motorised vehicle to run along it. So it's kinda like comparing apples and oranges.

I understand the frustration of the Energon version because we seen better quality toys from Takara. Realise here I am not mentioning Hasbro because they are normally the lesser quality version.
Eeh... it's not even that. In general we saw a decline in engineering/design in Armada and Energon with a lot of toys being compromised by their gimmicks (giving birth to the fan term "wHy My ShOuLdErS hUrT?" ;)). Before Armada we had Beast Wars and Car Robot/RiD which gave us slews of just amazing toys and pushed the envelope in terms of toy engineering and design. Armada and Energon felt like a significant step backward from that. IMO some of the best toys from Armada and Energon were actually the Mini-Cons rather than the Autobots and Decepticons. Takara's versions were cosmetically nicer (and the LED gimmick on Micron Legend Hot Rod was really cool), but still basically the same toys with the same weaknesses (ML Hot Rod's shoulders still hurt!). To Hasbro's credit, Cybertron was a much better line -- it looked like they'd finally gotten the hang of creating toys with gimmicks that compliment the toy without overtly compromising their design. :)

I don't think that the Energon Omega Supreme mould is bad per se. It does have a lot of neat features and fun things about it, even with the YotS modifications. But I don't think it's a great toy either. But given how expensive the toy is, one would expect more. Having said that, YotS Omega Supreme is substantially cheaper than Energon Omega Supreme's original retail price IIRC, so that's a plus. :cool:

drifand
21st July 2013, 08:31 PM
RID was a pain with Ultra Magnus and Prime, as much as it was nice, I could not pass it as a transformer, it was almost jigsaw puzzle for me.

The only reason why I rave about YOTS Omega way because the head looks better even than the Project X which I feel it was a let down at that price tag. The arm and the claws of that guy is wonderful however when I watch the youtube it look vulnerable to break. and the proportion of the legs do not look big enough. The arms were the weakest link and soon in time the joints wont hold up.

G1 Omega is a pass for me, it is nice in the cartoon but for a toy is not something I will really go with. Again is very selective on how I look at Omega. In the cartoon for G1, is awesome! The toy is totally not what I am after in this case.

Granted a fan is subjective on Omega's originality as well. But I am having fun with a toy I know it looks good enough to pose. You could really pose it up and it would make people buy it in a snap when they see how nice it can be.

I thought project X would be fantastic, and is probably is, however, I just kind of fear of some issues with the design. For that amount, I put my money into Metroplex.

Again I am coming from some different perspective and I think this toy was a bit underrated. A lot of people are just going by "Same thing, different colour" Which is true, however the claw hands and the head was a straight bang, this is Omega Supreme in another mode.

I do like to see Takara come up with a new G1 omega supreme with a new serious take on it. because by far only Project X by 3rd party is the only one, and I don't feel too comfortable sinking money for that piece.

I do see your view on it though, but for me is a good piece to display as to half wondering whether should I buy the Energon version back in the older days.

Also I am not interested in YOTS Optimus nor Ultra Magnus. :) This is also where I am coming from as to me it doesn't cut it.

drifand
21st July 2013, 09:03 PM
Engineering btw, yes simple, I do not think the toy was intended to be complicated like what I encounter for RID Optimus and ultra Magnus. They probably got shot the last time.

This toy was aimed at lower age kids that won't break it out of frustration.

I know this myself, I have almost the entire Binaltech and Grimlock Mustang isn't fun to transform at all.

this is one reason why MP 1 Optimus Prime won toy robot of the year.

Also because this is my first time opening this version, is probably why I am more excited than most people as well. ;) so forgive the excitement if you didn't got the same feeling. lol

kup
21st July 2013, 09:04 PM
I was entertaining the notion of buying it...Then I saw it in the store.

drifand
21st July 2013, 09:19 PM
You must be lucky because I couldn't find it at all in most stores. Only one has a price tag and empty shelf.

GoktimusPrime
21st July 2013, 10:35 PM
You must be lucky because I couldn't find it at all in most stores. Only one has a price tag and empty shelf.
I got mine at my local Big W too. Although it did sell out very quickly.

The arms were the weakest link and soon in time the joints wont hold up.
That's an interesting point that I hadn't thought of. The arms on my Energon Omega Supreme still hold up just fine, but the new claw arm does feel heavier so it might be more prone to making that arm loose over time.

Again I am coming from some different perspective and I think this toy was a bit underrated. A lot of people are just going by "Same thing, different colour" Which is true, however the claw hands and the head was a straight bang, this is Omega Supreme in another mode.

I do like to see Takara come up with a new G1 omega supreme with a new serious take on it.
Retooling Energon Omega Supreme is obviously a cheaper option, which makes perfect sense for a limited figure. It's just not viable to develop a whole new mould unless you're planning on releasing it in the mass market, and evidently Hasbro chose Metroplex as their mass market big ticket toy. I guess they didn't want to "cross compete" against Metroplex with a mass release whole new Omega Supreme toy.

I'm glad they chose to do Metroplex though. I guess from Hasbro's POV they figured that there's already a recent Omega Supreme mould that they can retool/repaint as a new G1 Omega Supreme, but Metroplex was in greater need of a new toy.

Engineering btw, yes simple, I do not think the toy was intended to be complicated like what I encounter for RID Optimus and ultra Magnus. They probably got shot the last time.

This toy was aimed at lower age kids that won't break it out of frustration.
Air Attack Optimus Primal, Unicron and Primus are all big toys that are pretty intuitive and possible for young kids to transform (unlike say the totally shellformerrific Darth Vader/Death Star which is a fiddly pain in the bum! :rolleyes:). Omega Supreme is really simplified because the body is hollow since it acts as a Pretender Shell for Optimus Prime. This seriously compromises the design of the toy IMO.

I know this myself, I have almost the entire Binaltech and Grimlock Mustang isn't fun to transform at all.

this is one reason why MP 1 Optimus Prime won toy robot of the year.
I find most Binaltechs to be fun to transform. :) But I agree that Grimlock and Wheeljack aren't. The problem with that mould isn't just that the transformation is fiddly/complex - there are actually BTs that are more complex to transform but not nearly as frustratingly annoying; IMO the problem is that the transformation is counter-intuitive and not designed to be fun to transform. BT Overdrive, Meister, Streak etc. are much more intuitive and enjoyable to transform IMO.

MP Megatron is another example of a toy whose transformation is not very intuitive or enjoyable to transform (for me anyway). :( Not quite as bad as BT Grimlock/Wheeljack, but still not as enjoyable as Convoy/Optimus Prime or Soundwave etc.

Also because this is my first time opening this version, is probably why I am more excited than most people as well. ;) so forgive the excitement if you didn't got the same feeling. lol
Heh, fair enough. I've owned Energon Omega Supreme since 2004, so YotS Omega Supreme doesn't feel as "new" to me as it might to you. :)

Anyway, glad you're enjoying him. :cool:

drifand
21st July 2013, 10:49 PM
That's an interesting point that I hadn't thought of. The arms on my Energon Omega Supreme still hold up just fine, but the new claw arm does feel heavier so it might be more prone to making that arm loose over time.

I am referring to the Project X Expensive Omega. I find the youtube of that toy was the part I made a decision very quickly, as I have a lot of toy robots I can sort of guess future problems.

The Omega Energon and YOTS edition will have less arms issue imo they are going to last quite a while.

Oh in terms of transformation I can understand why someone may be bored.
However I found the mobility of this toy isn't bad, and it can pose and stand very well.

GoktimusPrime
22nd July 2013, 12:16 AM
Oh in terms of transformation I can understand why someone may be bored.
However I found the mobility of this toy isn't bad, and it can pose and stand very well.
Posing and standing is all well and good for display purposes, but for toy play (which is the core function of a toy) it needs to be fun. And I feel that some of the more fun features of the original mould have been removed from the YotS version.

drifand
22nd July 2013, 01:15 AM
Unfortunately I don't fancy the headmaster, nor do I fancy light and sounds.

Hey I get it, you don't want simple transformation. I have a lot of old power rangers by far has more thought in Engineering than today's toys.

But if I were to take a pick, G1 Omega or this YOTS Omega, my choice is this over the G1. Being said, it was a choice very easy for me because one of them is too expensive the other is dated. And I do not have any of them, hence why I picked YOTS Omega. Let a kid today pick the toy and see if he picks the G1 or YOTS at the same price.

Until Takara come out with their new Omega, I think I am overall happy with this. Yes I agree, it lacks the seriousness in terms when you compare to a MP series. The darker red would have made it better, a lot of minor things can do it up. I found myself playing with this like some 12 year old lucky kid who had the luxury of playing with it. A battleship and a cool train. I am not looking at it as an adult, like said, if this was going to be a 30 steps transforming toy it wouldn't be $98.00 it would reach further into over $150 easily.

I have Macross Quarter and is no way in hell half as fun as this and it cost more than this. I think the main issue is you have the G1 and you appreciate it for what it is, whereas I wasn't into the G1 even when it reissued I had looked at it again and again and I felt its not the character I know in the cartoon.

I was half set on the Energon version but yes the colour and the claw hands did not felt right enough for me. I was the same on Unicron as well, first glance says yes, second time no.

I am pretty sure many may not get this if you are a die hard fan of the original Omega. But I thing if you want to, you can turn this YOTS version into some more fearsome.

drifand
22nd July 2013, 01:20 AM
By the way, I look at first MP1 Optimus is for me still what I enjoy over the smaller MP Optimus. I just hated Takara for screwing around with the scale, on top of that there hasn't been a smaller sized Megatron.

GoktimusPrime
22nd July 2013, 11:03 AM
Hey I get it, you don't want simple transformation. I have a lot of old power rangers by far has more thought in Engineering than today's toys.
I don't mind simple transformations. I quite like "flipchangers" like the original Terrorsaur, Rattrap and the Basic Machine Wars figures. But these were $7 Basics. My issue is that for a toy of Omega Supreme's size and price I would expect _much_ more than just a split-it-up-and-you're-basically-done transformation. :o There are Mini-Cons who have more involved transformations than Omega Supreme! :eek:

But if I were to take a pick, G1 Omega or this YOTS Omega, my choice is this over the G1. Being said, it was a choice very easy for me because one of them is too expensive the other is dated. And I do not have any of them, hence why I picked YOTS Omega. Let a kid today pick the toy and see if he picks the G1 or YOTS at the same price.
You're looking G1 Omega Supreme out of context, which as I mentioned before is something I think ought to be avoided when looking at vintage toys. Omega Supreme came out in 1985 and thus we should look at him by 1980s standards.

Having said that, would a kid today pick G1 or YotS Omega Supreme? Actually I think there's a fair chance they might still pick G1 because the child would be looking at one toy with a very simple transformation with a really basic alt mode, versus a toy with a weird pull apart and reassemble transformation, but can walk in robot mode and drives around in tank mode. G1 Omega Supreme still arguably offers more play value than YotS Omega Supreme in that sense. If a child (or adult) is looking for greater posability in robot mode, then sure, they'd be more likely to pick YotS Omega Supreme. I'd say older kids would be more likely to do that, but younger kids might be more drawn toward G1. I might show both to my daughter (she's a preschooler) and see which one she picks (I won't influence her). Should be a fun experiment. :D

Until Takara come out with their new Omega, I think I am overall happy with this. Yes I agree, it lacks the seriousness in terms when you compare to a MP series. The darker red would have made it better, a lot of minor things can do it up. I found myself playing with this like some 12 year old lucky kid who had the luxury of playing with it. A battleship and a cool train. I am not looking at it as an adult, like said, if this was going to be a 30 steps transforming toy it wouldn't be $98.00 it would reach further into over $150 easily.
I didn't necessarily mean to say that he should be on par with the complexity of MPs; that wouldn't be very fun for kids. But something more along the lines of Air Attack Optimus Primal, Unicron or Primus -- big toys that were also aimed at kids. They're not just big, but fun. Children aren't stupid; they won't go for a big simplistic toy that doesn't appear to be much fun.

Remember that Energon Omega Supreme was a shelfwarmer. YotS Omega Supreme's sold quickly because it was in limited quantities and exclusively sold at Big W; and that's fine. Revenge of the Fallen Combiner Class Devastator was another massive shelfwarmer, as was the big super-sized Cybertron Starscream. These were all toys that were marketed directly at kids and sold at regular mass retail. Adult fans alone cannot absorb enough of these toys to make it viable as a product. Encore Fortress Maximus has reportedly sold well, but remember that Japanese reissues are produced in much more limited quantities than regular Transformers that are marketed at kids. Having said that, Encore Omega Supreme was a horrific shelfwarmer (though being released around the time of the Global Financial Crisis probably didn't help).

I think the main issue is you have the G1 and you appreciate it for what it is, whereas I wasn't into the G1 even when it reissued I had looked at it again and again and I felt its not the character I know in the cartoon.
I collected G1 in the 1980s and 90s. And as I said before, even if you didn't, I think it still makes sense to at least look at G1 toys in context of the time they came out. To compare a G1 toy by today's standards would be like taking a muscle car manufactured in the 1960s or 70s and saying it's crap compared to muscle cars today. It may be, but it was probably pretty awesome for it's time, as I'm sure vintage car enthusiasts would appreciate.

I know that G1 toys mostly don't stand up to today's standards. That's why I don't collect G1 anymore and I wouldn't personally recommend anyone start now (unless they grew up w/ it). The character in the cartoon is based on the G1 toy, the toys came first and is thus more "accurate" than the cartoon.

By the way, I look at first MP1 Optimus is for me still what I enjoy over the smaller MP Optimus. I just hated Takara for screwing around with the scale, on top of that there hasn't been a smaller sized Megatron.
I agree. I mostly got MP10 for the trailer, Roller and Spike. But MP10 does have some nice things about it, but overall MP01 is a better made toy. :) MP10 is a LOT easier to transform though. :p

drifand
22nd July 2013, 12:21 PM
I would say that you would rate this toy a 5.5-6/10, for me is a 7/10.
No, I am not screaming BUY it. But overall it was pleasing to own one.
I was very excited about Project X Omega Supreme, but for that price, I expected way more and its arms got me concerned.

I am hoping Takara would do a new G1 Omega supreme.

As for MP10, the hands are better, I wouldn't mind if I found this piece under $100. (I know a joke) I am just annoyed they suddenly change scale, and for that I avoided it. I have not bought any of the current mp cars either. If any Jazz might be the only one I be interested. (obtaining Porsche rights might be an issue)

Overall I would not really consider myself a Transformer collector as I collected Binaltech/Alternators because the cars are real and the robot form is great. For me posing a robot is important, this is part of engineering I look at not just the transformation. Thus why I like Gundam toys which are not cheap, if I wanted Statue, I go for their kits. The mp toys have gained my interests soley because they improved the mechanics and posing of the figure is definately better. Face it, remaking prime with straight arms and legs or making a bigger G1 Optimus will not gain my attention at all, same with the Titans Metroplex, I would avoid if that was the case.

drifand
22nd July 2013, 01:07 PM
Wow I don't see YOTS Omega on BigW catlogue or online, I think its totally sold out.

It was pure fluke I went to BigW online and found it. The price caught me because on ebay it goes as high as $200

GoktimusPrime
22nd July 2013, 05:11 PM
As for MP10, the hands are better, I wouldn't mind if I found this piece under $100. (I know a joke) I am just annoyed they suddenly change scale, and for that I avoided it. I have not bought any of the current mp cars either. If any Jazz might be the only one I be interested. (obtaining Porsche rights might be an issue)
I don't mind the change of scale... what irritates me is how the toys got smaller but the prices didn't really get much cheaper. :rolleyes: I find none of the new-scale TakaraTOMY MPs are worth paying full retail for. I either buy TakaraTOMY MPs at below RRP (i.e. preorder discount) or just wait for the Hasbro version which works out cheaper. Though I kinda regret preordering Sunstorm because that toy did not sell well and Amazon later slashed prices down heaps. :o Damn my lack of clairvoyance! :p

Overall I would not really consider myself a Transformer collector as I collected Binaltech/Alternators because the cars are real and the robot form is great. For me posing a robot is important, this is part of engineering I look at not just the transformation. Thus why I like Gundam toys which are not cheap, if I wanted Statue, I go for their kits. The mp toys have gained my interests soley because they improved the mechanics and posing of the figure is definately better. Face it, remaking prime with straight arms and legs or making a bigger G1 Optimus will not gain my attention at all, same with the Titans Metroplex, I would avoid if that was the case.
The reason why I personally don't like Gundams and other PlaModel kits is because while they are highly detailed and super posable, I find that they're just not fun toys to play with. The quality of plastic often doesn't withstand rigorous toy play when you make them melee fight with each other etc. But of course, Gundams are model kits, not action figures. They're designed for displaying and posing (which statues can't do), but I don't find them terribly good for playing with.

But Transformers aren't model kits, they're toys; action figures. Their primary purpose is to be fun play things, not just pretty posable display pieces. And as such I personally think it's important that this is kept in mind when appraising Transformer toys; not only looking at them as posable display pieces, but being mindful that these are meant to be fun play things too. :) I still actively play with my toys -- make them fight, do the voices, do the sound effects etc. That's what Transformer toys are meant for. :D :cool:

MP Lambor is a very pretty and posable display piece, but I quite dislike him as a toy because I just find him really not fun to play with. The shoulders lock on fine for display posing, but when you make him fight or do other action movements in "real time," I find that his shoulders keep popping out really easily. :( For that reason I didn't bother with the other redecos of this mould.

drifand
22nd July 2013, 08:58 PM
I
The reason why I personally don't like Gundams and other PlaModel kits is because while they are highly detailed and super posable, I find that they're just not fun toys to play with. The quality of plastic often doesn't withstand rigorous toy play when you make them melee fight with each other etc. But of course, Gundams are model kits, not action figures. They're designed for displaying and posing (which statues can't do), but I don't find them terribly good for playing with.

There are Gundam Toys, however they are not cheap, and there is for rough playing as well. But overall saying that, it is not a transformer.

I am only observing by the side line on the mp figures, in due respect, due to the high detail it is also not as what I would specify as rigorous play either. I still remembered my old G1 broke of the roof of a silverstreak.

Collectors come from all sorts, and it is definitely subjective to each individual on why he would want it more than another person. There are people who just keep them MIB regardless how much we rave about the transformation.

For me it is a selective bunch of Transformers and characters I would look and think about it before buying. Omega Energon did not do enough to push me to buy it unfortunately and it was a close one, I did think about getting it a few years back but then just let go. In the end this version came and its a bonus that is cheaper here than on ebay.