PDA

View Full Version : Video Game Advice...

Saintly
11th January 2008, 11:54 AM
Previous reference -> http://otca.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=3356&st=20

I've decided to give in to buying a portable game system... and have made my mind on the NDS rather than the PSP (due to the cost mainly, fun factor would be about the same I think)

Question is these R4DS, M3 and TT, which ones do you use and your thoughts on the others.. I saw a chart comparison on these, but I'd like your opinions, please :)

Paulbot
11th January 2008, 12:18 PM
Well after starting that thread I went with the recommendations and got a NDS and also got the R4DS.

Now somewhere along the line (either in the shipping to me or me taking it home) my CD broke and I had to install the software manually. This wasn't too hard though but I might be missing things so my performance might not be great.

I find it a bit annoying that you have to power off the system when you're finished with applications, but it runs things quite fine. It does hijack the start up though. With most cartridges I choose to start the game from the NDS start up screen but the R4DS just takes over and runs itself.

I have some emulators installed but I haven't used them much, they work ok but not as well as emulators made for PCs. And the joypad isn't really made for performing Street Fighter II moves. I installed a msn program but haven't had much chance to try out the wireless features. I don't go to McDonalds enough!

Mostly I've been caught up totally in playing Pokemon Diamond which by itself has made me very happy with the purchase of the NDS.

JuzMel
11th January 2008, 02:45 PM
NDS is the WAY TO GO!

I've mine in Pink and I plastered them in Transformers movie skins and got "shit" :rolleyes: from the people here. :p Anyway that's a different story. But hey, I haven't heard about M3 or TT, the latest is the R4 where you get a cartridge similar to a game cartridge and you have a slot for a MicroSD card at the top of it. The program should come installed to launch the application.

Just drag and drop DS games where you can download from websites onto your MicroSD and then you're on your way. But do note though, EUR versions are more likely to have errors and cannot read the data as compared to US version. P.S: It's exactly what Kyle got in his Jan acqusitions.

Paul: I have the application CD and can burn a copy 4 you if you want to make sure everything is installed fine. On another note, a few new games like Mario Party, Orcs & Elves, Dementium The ward, Izuna Legend of Ninja, cannot seem to work, have you tried them yet?

Paulbot
11th January 2008, 03:19 PM
Sorry I don't know any of those games. I'm only trying to emulate games I already own for my older console systems (Atari 2600, Gameboy and SuperNES)

kup
11th January 2008, 03:37 PM
Paulbot, if you are having difficulty with your system I could always send you a copy of mine. Its ready to play movies, MP3s and stuff as well as a comic book reader and MSN chat which I use often while on the run.
________
California dispensaries (http://california.dispensaries.org/)

Saintly
11th January 2008, 04:01 PM
kup, excuse my ignorance and since I don't have a NDS yet... how do you send a copy of the system? Do you mean burn a copy of your microSD content?

another question to everyone, where did ya buy your R4DS and cost? :)

EDIT: how's the loading time on the R4DS? quicker than a standard cartridge?

Paulbot
11th January 2008, 04:29 PM
Kup, I think I will you up on that. I think mine's just not quite right.

Saintly I got my R4DS from www.ozmodchips.com I took their free shipping offer but as I said the mini CD-ROM that came with it was cracked when I went to use it (but I can't say for sure this didn't happen in my bag on the way home from picking it up)

llamatron
11th January 2008, 05:24 PM
www.bamboogaming.com - based in Hong Kong, but much cheaper than anything you'll get locally. I got my R4 from there and it was $40 with free postage.

As far as emulation goes, things up to 8-bit run pretty much perfect (i.e. NES and Master System). When you move up to SNES and Mega Drive things are a bit more spotty. I don't think there's an emulator that does sound for the Mega Drive yet, but otherwise it's pretty much perfect.

I also have the msn client, web browser, video player, etc. Pretty good stuff.

Kyle
11th January 2008, 05:27 PM
R4 is the most popular in Hong Kong and what people buy by default over there.

You can download the latest versions of the contents on the disc on their site:
http://www.r4ds.com/index-en.htm

springah
11th January 2008, 07:21 PM
www.bamboogaming.com best. shipping is a bit, but worth it.

just got me a psp cause my ds sorta got boring :/

i gots me a pandora if anyone needs too

Tetsuwan Convoy
12th January 2008, 12:26 AM
A pandora you say? Handy to have around if it bricks. I have my PSP open edition-ed and the things it can do now are awesome! Sad thing about the PSP is the lack of good games for it. I mainly use it to play PSX games that I have converted across. Chrono Cross is awesome and I never got to finish it...

The PSP has some fantastic emulators for it. Like the DS, 8 Bits run fine, the SNES is a little slow every now and then, but there is a perfect Megadrive one. I love walking around with a Megadrive, Master System and a playstation in my pocket!!

I didn't even know about the R4 card for the DS. Something to look into though thats fer sure.

kup
12th January 2008, 12:44 AM
Kup, I think I will you up on that. I think mine's just not quite right.

Saintly I got my R4DS from www.ozmodchips.com I took their free shipping offer but as I said the mini CD-ROM that came with it was cracked when I went to use it (but I can't say for sure this didn't happen in my bag on the way home from picking it up)

PM me your address and I will send you a burned disc of my System. Basically a carbon copy for you to use. I will load it with some extra stuff for you to play around with so that you can get used to using it.
________
PREGNANT CUMSHOT (http://www.fucktube.com/categories/904/cumshot/videos/1)

Saintly
13th January 2008, 12:22 AM
going with what I saw on Kup's R4DS loading time, i think the loading time are all relative...
http://www.gadgetgear.com.au/images/m3r4tt_comparison.gif

Bartrim
10th November 2008, 09:34 AM
Sorry to dig up an old thread guys but I was wondering if anyone could give me some help.

I've got an Acecard for my DS and I was wondering if anyone knew of any good emmulators to play old games from old consoles? The only ones I can find are for PC and wont work on my DS

Gutsman Heavy
10th November 2008, 12:01 PM
http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/Category:Emulators_on_DS

Eruntalon
10th November 2008, 12:36 PM
For SNES Roms - http://www.snemul.com/ds/

roller
10th November 2008, 08:56 PM
Sorry to dig up an old thread guys

hmmmmm i dont know if i can forgive you:(

Bartrim
11th November 2008, 09:12 AM

PLEASE roller. I'm so sorry.

Thanks for the links guys. Got it up and running :D

Pulse
11th November 2008, 11:27 AM

Says the person who's constantly hijacking other people's sales/wants threads... ;) :D

roller
11th November 2008, 11:33 AM
i'll forgive you bart, if you leave your wife and come and live with my band on the sunny beaches of Canada:p:D

sifun
13th November 2008, 09:40 AM
r4 is really old. It doesn't take Micro SDHC, and so it is limited to microsd that is 2gb.

I recommend getting Acekard2 as it is really cheap. You can get it at www.dealextreme.com

Bartrim
13th November 2008, 09:46 AM
I use Acekard2. I think it's brillant. Just a shame I'm so hopeless with computers and am not really getting the most out of it... I am slowly learning though.

Paulbot
27th April 2009, 08:55 PM
A question to the DS owners:

Can the Australian DSlite play DS games from other countries? Particularly the USA? I can't imagine there's any PAL concerns, but is there region locking? What about playing GBA games?

Golden Phoenix
27th April 2009, 09:02 PM
A question to the DS owners:

Can the Australian DSlite play DS games from other countries? Particularly the USA? I can't imagine there's any PAL concerns, but is there region locking? What about playing GBA games?

I know the DS is completely region free for DS games, I would assume it's the same for the GBA slot.
The only know incompatibility I know of is that you can't upload a Pokemon from a GBA game to the DS version if they are from different regions.

Paulbot
27th April 2009, 09:07 PM
The only know incompatibility I know of is that you can upload a Pokemon from a GBA game to the DS version if they are from different regions.

Is that can't?

That's key to know as I'm looking for Pokemon FireRed and Emerald. :o
I've just got to Victory Road in Diamond so I've got a fair bit to do in that game, but I'm very tempted to see if I can find those other two games cheap.

Golden Phoenix
27th April 2009, 09:24 PM
Is that can't?

That's key to know as I'm looking for Pokemon FireRed and Emerald. :o
I've just got to Victory Road in Diamond so I've got a fair bit to do in that game, but I'm very tempted to see if I can find those other two games cheap.

Whoops, I think it is only for language. I have a US version of Diamond, but it uploads fine from my 4 GBA pokemon games that are Australian.
So you can't upload from a JP version to a ENG version. I was basing it on this (http://serebii.net/diamondpearl/3rdgentrade.shtml) and previous experiace

Gutsman Heavy
28th April 2009, 12:53 AM
the new DSi however IS REGION LOCKED! damn Nintendo!

i_amtrunks
28th April 2009, 09:57 AM
And GBA gaems are region locked too.

You can transfer pokemons from other regions via wifi, that was kind of the point of it. Not sure on uploading/transferring from the GBA slot, but if you have a DSi, then you dont need to worry, seeing as it does not have a GBA slot.

Fungal Infection
28th April 2009, 10:25 AM
Can anyone recommend the best slot-2 card to buy to play GBA roms on the NDS?

Stompy
28th April 2009, 10:35 AM

Not entirely Guts. The DSi will still play ANY DS game. DSi specific cartridges (if they ever make them) will be region locked. Unsure of DS games with DSi bonus features will be region locked though. Time will tell.

kup
28th April 2009, 12:01 PM
What are the tech specs on the DSi. How does it improve from a technical point of view from the DS (referring to memory, wifi, etc)

i_amtrunks
28th April 2009, 12:22 PM
What are the tech specs on the DSi. How does it improve from a technical point of view from the DS (referring to memory, wifi, etc)

It doesn't really.

The DSi is out there to appeal to the casual gamers with two camera's and a slightly lighter product.

Fungal, I suggest you try something like this:
http://www.bamboogaming.cn/shop.php/flash-card/supercard/supercard-ds-ver-3-sdhc-free-shipping-/p_98.html. I use an earlier version (uses mini Sd Card through slot 2, rather than this which uses the DS slot 1)

kup
28th April 2009, 12:53 PM
So it still uses B wireless instead of G and the amount of RAM is the same? Those were the biggest limitations of the DS lite.

Saintly
28th April 2009, 05:06 PM
keep in mind that the R4 is not compatible with the DSi

Stompy
29th April 2009, 12:12 AM
Kup:

Googled info:

DSi:
- screen 3.25 inches (DS was 3)
- 2 VGA (0.3 MP) cameras
- 256 MB Internal flash memory and SDHC slot up to 32GB
- slightly longer and wider but thinner than the DSlite
- 16MB of RAM (DSlite had 4MB)
- 2 CPU's ARM9 & ARM7. Main CPU clocked at 133MHz
- 5 levels of brightness
- better buttons
- better and louder speakers
- supports DSiWare games

The OS is much better and needing no reboots of the console whenever you do something. A push of the power button will always return you to the home menu. Even from a game. Games can now be hot-swapped from the OS.

Tetsuwan Convoy
29th April 2009, 03:17 AM
WHAAAAAT Thats carp I tells ya, damn you sill nofriendo!!!

And GBA gaems are region locked too.

You can transfer pokemons from other regions via wifi, that was kind of the point of it. Not sure on uploading/transferring from the GBA slot, but if you have a DSi, then you dont need to worry, seeing as it does not have a GBA slot.

Do you mena on DSi? I have a bucnh of Jap games that work fine on my DS. I was thinking of getting a DSi when in Japan, but now not so sure. My DS battery is on the way out...

Why 2 cameras?!?!?! That sounds excessive.:confused:

kup
29th April 2009, 04:42 AM
Kup:

Googled info:

DSi:
- screen 3.25 inches (DS was 3)
- 2 VGA (0.3 MP) cameras
- 256 MB Internal flash memory and SDHC slot up to 32GB
- slightly longer and wider but thinner than the DSlite
- 16MB of RAM (DSlite had 4MB)
- 2 CPU's ARM9 & ARM7. Main CPU clocked at 133MHz
- 5 levels of brightness
- better buttons
- better and louder speakers
- supports DSiWare games

The OS is much better and needing no reboots of the console whenever you do something. A push of the power button will always return you to the home menu. Even from a game. Games can now be hot-swapped from the OS.

Thanks Stompy. Well they do improve RAM which is a big deal for this system but another big thing would be if Wifi G is supported as the original only had Wifi B.

Saintly
29th April 2009, 03:43 PM
Why 2 cameras?!?!?! That sounds excessive.:confused:

ideally, external camera to take pictures.

the internal camera is for self-portraits and video-calls