PDA

View Full Version : End of an era (so to speak)

Burn
18th July 2008, 08:24 AM
Today, after 12 years, 6 months, and a handful of days, I end my employment at my current job.

I was employed as a Clerk, but did anything but with a job that involved advising clients about tax, doing tax returns, sorting out GST garbage, system administrator, handyman, and office clown. Had to adopt the last part to match the great joke that was my pay.

On Monday I move to my new job where I take up the position of Office Supervisor for a local engineering/hardware firm. All new challenges plus i'm going to a company that has plans of expanding out of the town (only way to survive seeing as the cane and banana industry is about to keel over and go the way of the tobacco and fishing industry around here). Plus I won't have to put up with the public as much. 12 and a half years of people bitching and whining that $5000 isn't enough of a tax refund tends to get on your nerves ...

And i'll have a lot more money to spend on TF's, or a new car ... or both. :D :p

This will actually be only my second job since I left high school and I thought i'd be more nervous, or even excited, but suprisingly, I feel neither. Sunday night will probably be a different story.

So there's my once in a blue moon tale of interest. Thank you for allowing me to waste your time. :p (Something I probably won't be able to do at the new job!)

MV75
18th July 2008, 08:33 AM
If you expand down to Brisbane, let me know. I'm still after a position......
________
Medical Marijuana Patients (http://mmjp.org)

iceburn
18th July 2008, 09:10 AM
hooray for a new job and more pay!
good luck in your new job Burn

liegeprime
18th July 2008, 09:31 AM
Congratulations on the pay rise. Hopefully, since you wont have to deal with people too much this time, less stress for you.

Bartrim
18th July 2008, 09:43 AM
Congrats to you Burn and best wishes for the future. I too am close to a career change but there is nothing official yet and I don't want to steal Burn's thunder so I'll pipe down for now.

Pulse
18th July 2008, 10:58 AM
Good on ya Burn! :)

& I bet they got all teary eyed over seeing their Office Clown find a new circus... :confused::D

i_amtrunks
18th July 2008, 11:16 AM
Congrats on the new position Burn, you managed to leave the Tax related job at the perfect time!

1orion2many
18th July 2008, 11:26 AM
:)Enjoy your new job Burn, I train people and they have a period called the Honeymoon where everything is new and enjoyable, this lasts about 6 weeks. If you get past this period and still enjoy the job then you have definitely done the right thing. I can go up on the mines and earn double what I earn now but as far as I'm concerned a good lifestyle is one of the most important things to have so I hope this change helps you with your lifestyle outside of work as well.;)

STL
18th July 2008, 11:41 AM
Congrats Burn. I think its great your looking forward to unchartered territory and I'm sure things will work out fine and maybe even that Botcon trip will become viable in 11 months time. ;)

Golden Phoenix
18th July 2008, 04:33 PM
nice one.
I wouldn't mind a change of job. I don't get paid enough currently <_<

Burn
18th July 2008, 09:32 PM
Thanks guys!

Seems I picked a good time to bail. Aside from the fact a number of invitations were sent out to clients to come in and say bye and enjoy some drinks and nibblies (along with balloons and streamers) throughout the day, we had a steady stream of people wanting to do their tax returns.

Final day and I was STILL doing some teaching, (and there was still stuff I didn't get around to passing on). I think the one thing that's left me annoyed is I left with a small pile of tax and gst returns to be completed, and no plan to complete them! And any time I left work I either had no piles left over or had a plan in place to get them over and done with completely!

So aside from the rather large parting cheque, I also got a fancy keyring with my name on one side, and the years I was there on the other plus a couple of kg's of ... chocolate. Dunno why people think the best friend for fat people is chocolate but you know .... whatever. All that was from work, one client got me a $10 scratchie (won $25) while another got me a fancy gold pen and letter opener set.

I think the one thing i've learnt ... is just how much people not only relied on me, but how they just assumed i'd never leave. But hey, not my problem now. :D

Borgeman
20th July 2008, 10:49 PM
...one client got me a $10 scratchie (won $25) ...

WINNER!!!! :D

George

i_amtrunks
21st July 2008, 12:43 PM

George

Watch out Burn, the Lotteries People will want you to do a TV ad claiming how surprised you were that you actually won money on a scratchie! :p

1orion2many
21st July 2008, 02:27 PM

George

:)That's not what a TF collector would be thinking, it would be more like "DELUXE" :D

Tiby
21st July 2008, 02:59 PM
Congrats on the new job! I really hope the grass is truly greener for you!