PDA

View Full Version : Advice on selling TF's

bassbot
9th July 2013, 11:39 PM
Hi gang, I'm starting this in the general thread to get some advice. I have a kinda large but very varied collection of transformers toys and I think I'm ready to sell a bunch of them. They range from Armada, Cybertron, Alternators, Animated and others.

I want to set up a selling thread on the proper forum here of course, but wondered if I could some thoughts on the best way to do it. Are pictures always preferred?
What detail on postage should I give, or sought that out with each particular buyer?

Thanks!

Cat
9th July 2013, 11:45 PM
Get back to the IDW forum. :p

Go with pictures and a good description, especially for the more collector-oriented figures like the Alts. Even the best photos can be a bit misleading at times.

Postage is a bitch to work out. I'd do it on an individual basis, personally. Fairer to both parties.

jazzcomp
9th July 2013, 11:51 PM
You can schedule it on a meet like parra fair for most sydneysiders to avoid postage.

Firestorm
9th July 2013, 11:57 PM
A picture can tell a thousand words, but a good description doesn't hurt either
if you have a lot of stuff you're trying to sell maybe just upload pictures of figures if people ask about them, but give all figures a decent description

with postage you'd probably be better off doing that with each buyer

GoktimusPrime
10th July 2013, 12:08 AM
You can schedule it on a meet like parra fair for most sydneysiders to avoid postage.
^I like this idea. :)

i_amtrunks
10th July 2013, 12:54 AM
Pictures are nice but not always needed as long as you have the name and series for the figures (sometimes size class helps too).

Buyers can always us tfu or the tf wiki when unsure of a figure.

Parra fair meet ups are ever increasingly popular for us Sydney based cheapies who don't want to give money to AusPost. :p

Trent
10th July 2013, 07:03 AM
As others have said, pics are great but not necessary. You could just say pics on request.

Just put up a list of what you are selling with a price next to each item. Postage would need to be worked out individually for each person as many factors can change the cost (ie size of package, weight). If you have a set of scales at home use the Auspost postage calculator (http://auspost.com.au/apps/postage-calculator.html). It works great.

As far as boxes for shipping go, I swing down to Bunnings as they have all there used packing boxes out near the check-outs and you can take them for free. But sometimes they go pretty fast so one day you walk in there and they have heaps, others days they have very little in the way of usable boxes. But it works for me :)

Necare
15th July 2013, 01:28 PM
I think the key is description accuracy. Be upfront about any issues the figure has, how it was stored, how old, and whether MISB MIB or loose.

Photos are ok but you are better off asking people to request pics. Unless you only have a few to sell.

As far as pricing, ebay would fetch you the higher price perhaps. I listed on Amazon, Ebay, and on TFW when I was in the states and I undersold on TFW. As soon as I put stuff on Ebay, the prices climbed.

As far as postage....that will need to be case by case, just request the buyer send you their address so you can quote them a postage price. Some buyers might want more than one figure, so then postage woukd be different which makes it impossible to list postage before hand.

bassbot
24th July 2013, 09:40 AM
Hi gang, you guys are awesome - excellent advice - I'll be taking a clear Saturday soon to go through the figures and their condition, I've started researching some pricing on eBay but lots seem to be buy it now prices that seem high. My main goal here is to reduce the pile and clutter that haven't been loved (not in condition, just sitting in boxes not being displayed) and share them with other collectors/fans that want them.

Thanks again, you'll see my sales thread pop up in a couple of weeks.

Demonac
24th July 2013, 10:03 AM
Check the completed listings on ebay, as that will give a better representation of value.

Trent
24th July 2013, 11:36 AM
Yeah unfortunately eBay but it now prices aren't a true indicator of current value. They are more often then not ridiculously inflated. If you're not sure just put a price on them. We'll tell you if they are too high.;)