PDA

View Full Version : Should Hasbro make Generations Metrotitan?

GoktimusPrime
17th July 2013, 09:37 AM
Do you think Hasbro (or TakaraTOMY) should repaint Generations Metroplex as Metrotitan?

Poll options are:
Yes, as mass retail = you would like to see this toy created the same way as Gen. Metroplex and released as a common retail store toy
Yes, as retail exclusive = released exclusive to a store chain (e.g. Toys R Us)
Yes, as limited exclusive = released exclusive to an event (e.g. convention) or online store (e.g. eHobby)
No = you would not like to see this toy made at all. Perhaps you think that this would not be a viable business decision for HasTak due to the relatively obscure nature of the character, even as a limited exclusive release
Don't care = What's a Metrotitan? :p

Another question that's not in the poll is: If HasTak released Metrotitan, would you buy one? And feel free to stipulate under what conditions you would consider buying a Metrotitan? (e.g. pricing, form of release etc.)

---------------------------------------------------------------
My opinion

I would personally like to see it released as a retail exclusive or limited exclusive. I think the character is too obscure for a mass retail release, but I think the fandom is big enough now that it could work as a limited release. My vote's for retail exclusive. :)

I would definitely buy one if it were a retail exclusive or eHobby exclusive. Not sure if I would bother if it were more limited. Also this would be assuming that it wouldn't be too much more expensive than Metroplex.

Trent
17th July 2013, 09:52 AM
I voted for online exclusive. Personally I don't see a large market at all for it. It would really only be collectors and even a lot of them would pass it up on size and/or price. I mean where the bloody hell are you going to put 2 of those things if you don't have a collection room? And any sane parent when their kid goes "can I have that?!" Is gonna say no because they already have Metroplex.

And no I wouldn't buy it. I'm most likely gonna pass on Metroplex, so an obscure repaint character from a series I couldn't be bothered to sit through isn't gonna interest me. So yeah, as a limited online exclusive, most people who wanted one could get it, but it wouldn't sit on shop shelves on clearance for ages either.

Sinnertwin
17th July 2013, 10:27 AM
Online exclusive.

BigTransformerTrev
17th July 2013, 10:29 AM
I voted: Mass retail. That way there would be thousands of the buggers that would never get sold because most folk getting a TF that big would have already gotten Metroplex, then the price would drop to clear them out, and only with a massive reduction in cost would I consider getting the figure - Metroplex will be enough for me.

Sky Shadow
17th July 2013, 10:41 AM
I would buy Metrotitan. I won't buy Metroplex. Online exclusive so I can order one without having to bother going to the shops.

Deonasis
17th July 2013, 10:45 AM
Mass retail - but that is just me wanting to see everybody getting a good chance to know about and buy Transformers.

Could it sell at retail? That would be a gamble. I think Transformers drop so much ball with cross promotion it is not funny. A help would be stocking cheap, compatible legends figures that can cross sell Metrotitan on their card backs. Release Metrotitan surrounded by the smaller figures on shelves. This titan class has to be shown to kids (cardbacks, tv ads, tv show spot). They need to know it exists, dream about it, hound their parents to buy it. The backing art for G1 toys was perfect for this - seeing 15 toys battle it out made me want them all.

DELTAprime
17th July 2013, 11:28 AM
Forgive my ignorance, but who is Metrotitan?

I guess I should go look him up on TFWiki.

Ploughmans Lunch
17th July 2013, 12:03 PM
I would only want a release of Metrotitan if it was tampographed with the words "whats a metrotitan" all over it and it's Scamper equivilent was bright pink and had "hot 4 hotdog" on the hood in blingee-esque sparkle crystal whatever.

Ploughmans Lunch
17th July 2013, 12:04 PM
I want an option for "yes - but made entirely out of valium and comes with free Coles donuts thanks"

Ploughmans Lunch
17th July 2013, 12:05 PM
I would like the Metrotitan to come in a box advertising "Metrotitan" which is a repaint of the toy as an obscure Japanese G1 character but inside is just bees.

Ploughmans Lunch
17th July 2013, 12:05 PM
Only if Metrotitan had 13 Gary Coleman quotes on it's voice chip (12 and a baby crying is acceptable)

Ploughmans Lunch
17th July 2013, 12:07 PM
Bonus exclusive: transplantable bone marrow

Ploughmans Lunch
17th July 2013, 12:07 PM
Only if you had the option of dressing him up as a cop

Ploughmans Lunch
17th July 2013, 12:08 PM
Only if it comes packaged with a plethora of well written alt-lit feminist diatribes.

Deonasis
17th July 2013, 01:43 PM
Oh my.. Ploughman has lost his lunch.

Hursticon
17th July 2013, 03:23 PM
I would only want a release of Metrotitan if it was tampographed with the words "whats a metrotitan" all over it and it's Scamper equivilent was bright pink and had "hot 4 hotdog" on the hood in blingee-esque sparkle crystal whatever.

I want an option for "yes - but made entirely out of valium and comes with free Coles donuts thanks"

I would like the Metrotitan to come in a box advertising "Metrotitan" which is a repaint of the toy as an obscure Japanese G1 character but inside is just bees.

Only if Metrotitan had 13 Gary Coleman quotes on it's voice chip (12 and a baby crying is acceptable)

Bonus exclusive: transplantable bone marrow

Only if you had the option of dressing him up as a cop

Only if it comes packaged with a plethora of well written alt-lit feminist diatribes.

...is exactly how I'd describe these posts. :rolleyes:

UltraMarginal
17th July 2013, 03:49 PM
After doing some research I have figured out who metrotitan is, and I think at most it should be a limited release, either ehobby or convention.

After looking above I changed my mind to "general release everywhere" so it shelf warms and i can eventually get it for $20 and use the gun for my proper Metroplex. then i realised the gun would probably be white, so my revised single vote is:

Don't care.

Ploughmans Lunch
17th July 2013, 04:20 PM
...is exactly how I'd describe these posts. :rolleyes:

Wow you are pleasant aren't you.

Hursticon
17th July 2013, 04:25 PM
Wow you are pleasant aren't you.

All the time. :)

Paulbot
17th July 2013, 05:00 PM
I get that Metrotitan is a bit obscure, but he did feature in the two IDW annuals last year so he shouldn't be too obscure. I guess the name being used as a generic term in IDW it does rob him of some individuality.

I don't think the toy should be repainted as a general release. I personally prefer the big toys to be individuals (ala Hasbro) not one of 2 or more with the same base toy (ala Takara). But I do think that instead of the two current shiny Metroplex exclusives one of those should have been Metrotitan.

GoktimusPrime
17th July 2013, 05:12 PM
I get that Metrotitan is a bit obscure, but he did feature in the two IDW annuals last year so he shouldn't be too obscure.
+1. That's why I think it might work as a store chain exclusive now that Metro Titan has become a much less obscure character to Westerners since appearing in Anglophone canon. And unlike risking a toy based on say IDW's Dai Atlas or Metalhawk, Metrotitan would only need to be a repaint of an existing mould -- they wouldn't need to spend more money R&Ding a new mould. And if Metrotitan can sell, then Hasbro would make more money back from what they've already invested in the Metroplex mould in the first place. There are some more "casual" fans who read the IDW comics and would buy a fan-appeal toy if it were a limited store exclusive, but would never bother to get it if it were a limited convention or online store exclusive. I have friends who aren't really serious TF fans, but they do read IDW comics and buy toys like Platinum Edition Ultra Magnus and Omega Supreme etc. but would never collect toys that were any more limited than that.

I would much rather see Metroplex repainted as Metrotitan before some random repaints (like "Dark Energon Metroplex" or something kooky like that).

I guess the name being used as a generic term in IDW it does rob him of some individuality.
Perhaps... but would it be much worse than "Vehicon"?

But I do think that instead of the two current shiny Metroplex exclusives one of those should have been Metrotitan.
^Totally agree. :)

Bidoofdude
17th July 2013, 05:34 PM
I voted Online Exclusive. It feels like a thing that would be sold similarly to ehobby repaints or to things like the Dark Energon line. ;)

I personally wouldn't buy one myself, as I'm not all into the character and I don't think I could justify it, for room and price concerns.

I'd love to see the Metroplex box art in a Metrotitan colour scheme though. That would look fantastic IMO. :D

ILikeSoundwave
17th July 2013, 08:31 PM
I'd only buy it because its gives us a decepticon fortress.

liegeprime
17th July 2013, 10:40 PM
I'd only buy it because its gives us a decepticon fortress.

+1.... BUt if they ever issue out a Nemesis/Trypticon Ill be all over that!!:D... besides Im using a JLU Watchtower anyways as my Cyberverse Decepticons Fortress... but would love a Trypticon first rather than a plethora of repaints... don't want to see Metroplex turn into the new Bumblebee. Mebbe limited exclusive but available in retail...

I would much rather see Metroplex repainted as Metrotitan before some random repaints (like "Dark Energon Metroplex" or something kooky like that).

or Stealth Metroplex.... now how the heck are they gonna convince me on that one.... it's a freakin giant cityformer.... in Stealth .... :eek::eek: phwoar!!!! hahahahah

dirge
18th July 2013, 12:15 PM
Ploughmans Lunch, if you have nothing worthwhile to add, please refrain from posting junk. Your posts in this thread are nothing but spam.I don't blame Hursticon from picking you up for it, either.

/mod.

FWIW I think it's an excellent idea as a store exclusive (or something similar).

MayzaPrime
18th July 2013, 12:19 PM
I have been wanting a Metrotitan since I first saw Metroplex... If any sort of retool/repaint will help us get a titan class Trypticon, Scorponok, or Fortress Maximus then I will be happy to buy anything that Hasbro will release.

GoktimusPrime
18th July 2013, 01:01 PM
I have been wanting a Metrotitan since I first saw Metroplex... If any sort of retool/repaint will help us get a titan class Trypticon, Scorponok, or Fortress Maximus then I will be happy to buy anything that Hasbro will release.
Only thing with Trypticon is that there's no immediately obvious repaint potential for him. Although I guess they could throw chromed exclusive variants like they're doing w/ Metroplex. :p ;)

Sky Shadow
18th July 2013, 01:33 PM
Only thing with Trypticon is that there's no immediately obvious repaint potential for him.

Overkill.

MayzaPrime
18th July 2013, 01:33 PM
Only thing with Trypticon is that there's no immediately obvious repaint potential for him. Although I guess they could throw chromed exclusive variants like they're doing w/ Metroplex. :p ;)

True... But I'm sure that Hasbro would have something in mind if they did do it.

I think there could be a Fortress Maximus retool from Metroplex. Given that the retool of Sandstorm from Springer was well engineered anything is possible.

Hursticon
18th July 2013, 01:39 PM
Overkill.

Oh god!, that'd be wicked for so many reasons! :D:cool:

GoktimusPrime
18th July 2013, 02:57 PM
Overkill.
It most certainly would be! ;) :p That might work as a limited exclusive

I think there could be a Fortress Maximus retool from Metroplex. Given that the retool of Sandstorm from Springer was well engineered anything is possible.
Eehhh, Metrotitan would give Hasbro extra mileage for the Metroplex mould; I wouldn't want to see any more characters milked from it. If they're gonna give us a Generations Fortress Maximus, I'd like to see it based on his IDW design. Considering that he has treads kibble, I'd imagine his tertiary mode as a massive tank/armoured vehicle rather than a battleship. :) HasTak could easily repaint it as Generations Grand Maximus (that'd have to be a limited exclusive) and Generations Brave Maximus (which could be a store exclusive or possibly even regular mass release considering that the character did appear on Anglophone TV in Robots In Disguise). Scorponok would be redecoed as Black Zarak (just make sure to manufacture the mould with both heads).

Autocon
18th July 2013, 10:03 PM
After doing some research I have figured out who metrotitan is

yes???

Trent
19th July 2013, 09:45 AM
yes???
here you go (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Metrotitan) ;)

:p

UltraMarginal
19th July 2013, 10:37 AM

that's awesome, i'll be keeping that in the kitty. :D

Tetsuwan Convoy
19th July 2013, 02:16 PM
Overkill.

Ha ha ha! Try and fit THAT in yer chest Soundwave!!!!

I'd say limited release, a while after Metroplexes have sold.

If Transformers is doing well enough and Titan is the only one of his type at the time, people could be inclined to nab one, much like the Platinums and YOTSs. I'd prefer a regular release over say an e-Hobby pre-order, mainly because it's nice to see toys on local shelves.

1orion2many
19th July 2013, 02:30 PM
I actually voted no, You slackers should go out and buy a G1 original:p:D

Magnus
19th July 2013, 09:39 PM
I voted for 'limited event/online exclusive'. Being an obscure character, I'm wondering if it would sell well at mass retail, or even limited/store-exclusive retail, since Metrotitan isn't in a game or current/recent TV series or movie.

Would I buy one? No - I'd never even heard of him until a few years ago, and I generally only buy toys of characters I've seen on-screen.

GoktimusPrime
19th July 2013, 10:11 PM

^Best. :)

I actually voted no, You slackers should go out and buy a G1 original:p:D
Yep. As soon as I find one at close to RRP*. Until then I'd happily settle for a Generations figure or reissue. :)

*Original RRP was 4980JPY ($54), although Encore Metroplex' RRP was 7000JPY ($76), so that may be a better reflection for pricing by current inflationary standards. Though a limited exclusive might sell for about 9000JPY ($98) - so $100 is about the max I'd be willing to pay for a G1 Metrotitan.

I voted for 'limited event/online exclusive'. Being an obscure character, I'm wondering if it would sell well at mass retail, or even limited/store-exclusive retail, since Metrotitan isn't in a game or current/recent TV series or movie.
As Paulbot pointed out before, Metrotitan has recently appeared in canon (http://tfwiki.net/mediawiki/images2/9/9a/MtMtEAnn2012-Metrotitans.jpg). English language (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Primus:_You,_Me,_and_Other_Revelations) too. Technically the last appearance of a Metrotitan in Anlgophone canon was way back in July 2013 (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Homecoming_(IDW)). ;)

UltraMarginal
20th July 2013, 09:15 AM
But that's a single appearance of that colour scheme in a single panel. And the use of metrotitan was as a term not a name. Hardly justifies more than a limited exclusive and doesn't really count as 'appearing' as a character in a meaningful way.

GoktimusPrime
20th July 2013, 09:41 AM
I wouldn't agree with selling it as a regular mass retail would work, but maybe a store or limited exclusive. :) One might argue that Black Shadow is an equally obscure character, but Hasbro made a mass retail toy of that (and Hasbro AU never bothered releasing it here, so it might as well have been an exclusive as far as we're concerned :p). But of course, he was a cheap Deluxe whereas we're talking about an uber expensive Titan Class here. :D