PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Masterpiece Transformer?

millhouse
29th July 2013, 04:33 PM
I was thinking about this today, but how about we post our favourite Masterpiece Transformer we own and why...

Personally for me, I have to say it's Hot Rod (Hasbro US). Closely followed by MP-10, but as a massive fan of the animated movie, it's Hot Rod all the way. Sure, it's finicky, but you've got Hot Rod, Rodimus, and Hot Rod in car. Sure, the changes are minor, but it's resulted in me owning 3 of the damn things to display. The fact that the car can look so accurate and still transform into that robot never ceases to impress the hell out of me - the movie characters seemed to have little thought on how the robot becomes the alt mode as long as both of the modes looked great in the cartoon.

While the MP-10 is a better robot, and has more bells and whistles, the fact that Hot Rod can actually transform still leaves me pretty damn impressed.

Now if only there was a Galvatron Masterpiece figure...

DELTAprime
29th July 2013, 04:58 PM
Soundwave superior, other Masterpiece inferior.

I really like MP Soundwave. He scales better with his Cassettes than any other G1 Soundwave. The mechanism in his chest is cool. And unlike some other Masterpieces he looks like he's straight out of the cartoon (no hip kibble or thin scrawny legs).

Hursticon
29th July 2013, 05:00 PM

'Nuff said. ;):cool:

millhouse
29th July 2013, 05:06 PM

I'm awaiting my Soundwaves to ship out from Robot Kingdom on August 1st. I may well be seeing him usurp Hot Rod. :)

Deonasis
29th July 2013, 05:12 PM
I like MP-11 Starscream. I have some pretty good MP editions but this one signalled to me that Takara were taking the renewed MP line seriously. The cape is fantastic and the mould changes are all improvements and a good mix of cartoon + toy representation.

millhouse
29th July 2013, 05:22 PM
I like MP-11 Starscream. I have some pretty good MP editions but this one signalled to me that Takara were taking the renewed MP line seriously. The cape is fantastic and the mould changes are all improvements and a good mix of cartoon + toy representation.

This is one I definitely want to get at some point, but can't justify the price. It's the same mold (seeker v2, for lack of a better description) that Hasbro used for their Thundercracker (or Thunder Cracker, as the stand says...), right? Awesome tweaking of the original mold - I'll happily sacrifice a little detail in alt mode for a better looking bot any day of the week.

Lint
29th July 2013, 05:32 PM
Personally for me, I have to say it's Hot Rod (Hasbro US).

Yep this has got to me my fave because I simply did not think they would be able to pull it off without either vehicle or robot mode being severely compromised. The design/engineering behind this toy is impressive indeed. Now I must say he is not without his faults. He is somewhat flimsy, a little bit gappy in the back and difficult to transform perfectly but he truly rocks the part in both modes.

Now that was just me commenting on the 'Hot Rod' part of the toy. The fact that you can milk a Rodimus Prime bot AND alt mode out of this as well is also amazing! However I do wonder just how much better the could have made the 'Hot Rod' toy if they did not have to engineer Rodimus Prime into it as well.:cool:

millhouse
29th July 2013, 05:38 PM
The fact that you can milk a Rodimus Prime bot AND alt mode out of this as well is also amazing! However I do wonder just how much better the could have made the 'Hot Rod' toy if they did not have to engineer Rodimus Prime into it as well.

That's the only thing that's made me want to pick up a Takara one at some point. Purely to put it in Convoy/Winnebago mode and leave it like that.

At the moment, my display space is limited, but 3 Hot Rods are up there. Funnily, at the moment my Seekers are in storage, as well as MP-4 Prime and the 20th Anniversary Prime (just too friggin' big and my Hasbro MP-10s look better on the shelf). I have a feeling the Seekers may get some more love after Acid Storm arrives, or the Starscream and Skywarp (Hasbro versions) get unboxed later this year.

CBratron
29th July 2013, 06:11 PM
MP-10. New Optimus Prime. Pretty much set the standard for the current crop of masterpiece toys. I also love the complexity of his transformation.

drifand
29th July 2013, 06:28 PM
I will go MP 4 for now, more metal, bigger and correct scaling to binaltech and MP 2. Takara didn't need to make the other new cars smaller, imo it was where I stopped collecting. So now I just buy only mp pieces that appeal to me, and for now is soundwave.

iamirondude
29th July 2013, 06:40 PM
for me, it's gotta be the new thundercracker. i picked up one when he was released here and the colours and the new parts make him stand out from all the other seekers but runner up has to be MP-4.

BigTransformerTrev
29th July 2013, 06:44 PM
For me, out the ones I own this would be them in order:

MP-03 Starscream
MP-10 Optimus Prime
MP Grimlock
MP Rodimus
20th Anniversary Prime
MP Megatron
MP Skywarp
MP Sideswipe

Starscream77
29th July 2013, 06:53 PM
MP-11 for sure. Looks fantastic and has that real G1 cartoon nostalgia
All hail Starscream !!!

But Soundwave would be a close second, almost perfect figure (even my wife likes that one)

Sinnertwin
29th July 2013, 07:44 PM
MP-11 for sure. Looks fantastic and has that real G1 cartoon nostalgia
All hail Starscream !!!

Why am i not surprised? :p :D

My favourite would be MP10, followed by Red Alert-the Lambo is drop dead gorgeous and the mental-collapse accessories are just pure awesome.

Sky Shadow
29th July 2013, 08:37 PM
Yomtov-style King Grimlock. Nothing else comes close.

rocman12
29th July 2013, 09:20 PM
Yomtov-style King Grimlock. Nothing else comes close.

Agree! Grimlock is the best masterpiece, or at least my favourite, closely followed by soundwave, then MP10

Trent
29th July 2013, 09:47 PM
The first that came to mind for me was Rodimus. Yes QC issues galore and finicky as all hell, but just so must awesome packed into that package. :)

Kapryiath
29th July 2013, 09:51 PM
hard choice, between grimlock and soundwave, there's just something about the aesthetics of soundwave that do something for me , i think if i had the mp-08x variant it would be grimlock but as i just have the hasbro version i'm gonna have to say soundwave

GoktimusPrime
29th July 2013, 10:34 PM
I would go with the original MP-1 Convoy. That toy just has SO much win!

+ It's big!
+ It's die-cast metal
+ Transforms from a blocky truck to a buff robot. MP10 may have a sleeker looking robot mode, but its truck mode is also too chunky at the rear.
+ Joints have freakin' hydraulic pistons! :eek:
+ Tyres have suspension
+ Ankles have suspension! :eek:
+ Shins have those vents that open up when air is pushed through them (when downward pressure is exerted on the ankle suspension)
+ Highly articulated and durable
+ Flip up communicator panels in arms
+ Chest houses Matrix chamber with internal chamber door (whereas w/ MP10 it's just part of the fender; MP-1's internals look much more like what we saw in TFTM)
+ Moving mouthplate with "grill mouth" underneath (a neat nod to G1 #76 ;))
+ Matrix lights up and can actually open
^all this for just 10290JPY ($113) :)

I really like the MP10 mould too; but IMO MP10's cab robot just isn't as jam packed full of win as MP-1, although it does come with the trailer, Roller and Spike; and $150 for the Hasbro version is just a fantastic price. So I honestly do love both MP Optimus Primes a lot, but all things considered I still regard MP-1 as the better toy. :o

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/masterpiece%20optimus%20prime/masterpieceop_compar03-1.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/masterpiece%20optimus%20prime/masterpieceop_compar01-1.jpg

kurdt_the_goat
29th July 2013, 10:52 PM
I'm really surprised you picked MP1 over MP10 Goktimus, considering you ended your description with "better toy"...surely 10's easier for the pick up and play we know you value highly!?

I think Soundwave is objectively the best out of the lot - with the least general design issues and no (i think?) QC problems. That said, my personal taste is for Hot Rod. They nailed the vehicle mode better than i could have ever imagined, and he has a perfect look in robot mode with a wealth of articulation. The good stuff made the QC issues a non-issue for me (i considered mine only minor anyway).

GoktimusPrime
29th July 2013, 11:36 PM
I find both MP-1 and MP10 really fun toys to play with. :) Play-wise the main downside with MP-1 is the way he doesn't hold his rifle very tightly... that's my biggest beef with that toy. But when weighing up the pros and cons of both MP Primes, I still find MP-1 comes out on top. But MP10 comes a close second and is a really great toy in its own right.

As for others...
+ MP Ultra Magnus: well, it's a straight up repaint of MP-1, which makes sense but I couldn't justify getting it, even for $80 at Target. :o
+ MP Starscream: the first one was really disappointing, felt more like a pre-built model kit than an action figure. The colours look nice in jet mode but dubious in robot mode. The subsequent Hasbro version improved on the colours and plastic quality.
+ MP Skywarp/Thundercracker: continuing to use improved plastic quality was nice, but still suffers from the inherent drawbacks of the original MP Starscream mould.
+ MP Sunstorm: this is the only version of the new MP Starcream retooled mould that I have, and they have definitely improved it as a toy. But damn its expensive RRP! :(
+ MP Grimlock: Nice but somewhat simplistic for a Masterpiece. The top half of the toy fundamentally feels like G1 Grimlock to me with most of the more MPish style engineering happening from waist down. The toy has some clever gimmicks and the laser rod thing is cool. As someone who's always preferred the G1 comics over the cartoon, I was delighted that they omitted the standard TakTOM accessories in favour of the crown. It is a nice toy, but not worth the $150 RRP IMHO.
+ MP Megatron: an ambitious toy, trying to make a thin gun transform into a chunky robot was never going to be easy. Admirable effort for sure, but the laboriously time-intensive transformation is just too damn complicated that it ceases being fun to transform. :(
+ MP Soundwave: Great toy... transformation is very similar to G1 toy, which is probably more indicative of just how awesome the original G1 Soundwave toy is. :) I paid $135 for my TakTOM version, which is quite expensive compared to the upcoming Hasbro release. FML. :/
+ MP Cassettes: very nice toys, but expensive for such small figures (despite their complexity). The backward compatibility w/ G1 is a nice touch, and the engineering of the figures is clever for what they are. Again, Hasbro version trumps out with price.
+ MP Rodimus: Got the Hasbro version, which is quite nice and addresses some of the flaws with the TakTOM version. The toy-accurate colours are nice, but the execution itself is lazy. But overall quite a nice toy.
+ MP Lambor: Disappointing and overpriced at RRP. The shoulders' inability to firmly lock into place is really poor for a Masterpiece toy and I wish that it had come with a rocket pack accessory (possibly with an additional clip that lets it attach to MP10 too).
+ MP Alert/Tigertrack: skipped after my experience w/ Lambor.
+ Movie MPs: I personally don't even consider these toys to be true MPs.

...none of the limited exclusive repaints have interested me, 'cept for Sunstorm.

millhouse
30th July 2013, 12:33 AM
Anyone thinking that if Takara were to merely shrink down the existing Masterpiece Megatron to the current scale (same height as MP-10 Prime for argument's sake), it would not only address the scale issue in robot mode, but alt mode would be closer to actual size too?

Put a new head on it (I never really dug the original head), and I'd pony up if I could get one through customs.

Either that, or take a cue from the Fans Toys Quakewave. Clever way to work the legs/handle combo.

Kazza
30th July 2013, 12:43 AM
Grimlock is my favorite MP. A dino/robot best combination ever.:D Topped of with a crown (hasbro version).:cool:

Nevac
30th July 2013, 07:30 AM
I loved MP1 when it first came out I bought the Hasbro one at first and later MP2 and 4. It's heavy, big and loaded with gimmicks. I was excited at getting MP3 since it was a new mold but disappointed that they changed his color and strayed too far from his cartoon model. MP5 was awesome such an ambitious design but it does have his faults always afraid I'm going to break something transforming him. After MP5 my interest in Transformers waned and I skipped MP6-9.

Got back into it with MP10 (Hasbro), at first I didn't like that he was smaller and less die-cast but after having and playing around with him I really started to appreciate his design he is much closer to the cartoon model and the addition of roller and his trailer is great. I also think his gun seems kinda small and looks a little off with all the joints to fold it up, but it is cool that you can store it in his back. MP11 is what MP3 should have been no question the retooled parts are a nice addition but at his core he's still got MP3's engineering and it really shows when comparing his design to MP10/13. Just feels so flimsy and fragile while the other 2 are solid and transform smoothly.

Soundwave is by far the best MP to date in design and his tape gimmicks are awesome. He is expensive but you do get a lot for what you pay and especially with the hasbro version that will be an absolute bargain. He would be my pick for best MP so far.

Now if they could release a REAL MP Ultra Magnus I'd love to have it, as well as a new Skywarp based on MP11.

Lint
30th July 2013, 09:56 AM
I'm really surprised you picked MP1 over MP10 Goktimus, considering you ended your description with "better toy"...surely 10's easier for the pick up and play we know you value highly!?

I think Soundwave is objectively the best out of the lot - with the least general design issues and no (i think?) QC problems. That said, my personal taste is for Hot Rod. They nailed the vehicle mode better than i could have ever imagined, and he has a perfect look in robot mode with a wealth of articulation. The good stuff made the QC issues a non-issue for me (i considered mine only minor anyway).

While MP10 is certainly the better looking bot and toy however MP1 just has a certain level of majesty about him. Also he was a supreme step up in toy engineering and design detail compared to prior (and some future) releases whereas MP10 was more of a natural progression.

Soundwave and Grimlock are definitely two of the best looking and articulate MP's so far however they really are (especially GrimlocK) just giant versions of their G1 selves. Megatron, Starscream, Prime, Sideswipe and Hot Rod have much more design genius to appreciate.

doublespy
30th July 2013, 11:13 AM
MP-10 Hasbro version. The definitive G1 Optimus, hands down. Didn't realize I still have such strong emotional ties to the G1 era until I got him(The childhood memory value of G1 figures quickly faded away not long after I started collecting re-issues in the early 2000s. Modern toy engineerng is the main thing that keeps me collecting nowadays) And this figure got me back into collecting Masterpiece.

MP-09 TakTom verson would come close in the 2nd place. Has minor design flaws and is uber finicking to transform but the end results in all four modes are quite impressive. I think it's Hironori Kobayashi's finest work in the MP line.

I have yet to get the Hasbro soundwave but he should be in top 3 just for the money value.

P.S. I loved Hironori Kobayashi's creativity but gotta now Shogo Hasui's Masterpiece figures have won me over. He's an absolutely brilliant designer.:cool:

Ravagecat
30th July 2013, 12:56 PM
The First MP I got was Optimus Prime in the 20th Anniversary Box (from Target). I was really impressed with his likeness to the cartoon, extra details (communicator, matrix etc) and the amount of die cast they put in him :D

QC issues aside, aesthetically I like MP 11S Sunstorm with his cool cloak and awesome colours and MP 12 Sideswipe because he is a favorite of mine from the G1 series and I'm a sucker for Lambo's :D

On the note of Masterpiece's, does anyone know how many versions of MP Megatron were released?? From what I've heard, I'm pretty sure there was a version released where he was in his gun mode then that caused import issues for some countries so they changed him to robot mode?? Also I'm hearing that he is very flimsy and light...was there ever a version that had more die cast in him (like MP1) or has he always been mostly plastic??

UltraMarginal
30th July 2013, 01:32 PM
On the note of Masterpiece's, does anyone know how many versions of MP Megatron were released?? From what I've heard, I'm pretty sure there was a version released where he was in his gun mode then that caused import issues for some countries so they changed him to robot mode?? Also I'm hearing that he is very flimsy and light...was there ever a version that had more die cast in him (like MP1) or has he always been mostly plastic??

Only 1 version that I'm aware of. I don't know of it ever being shipped in alt mode. It was picked up by Australian Customs because of the nature of it's alt mode.

It's mostly plastic, certainly not as heavy as a real gun, but that's not possible. It's not so much flimsy as it has a lot of thin panels and some of the transformation is very scary with regard to the apparent amount of force required to get certain parts to move into place.
The scopes size makes it relatively heavy and as a result it's hard to pose his arm outstretched with the canon installed, the shoulder just doesn't have the strength.

As long as you go through the right channels and get a replica gun license he's pretty easy to import. there have been entire threads about the MP megs and associated issues, you should be able to search for them and dig them up.

BigTransformerTrev
30th July 2013, 01:54 PM
The scopes size makes it relatively heavy and as a result it's hard to pose his arm outstretched with the canon installed, the shoulder just doesn't have the strength.

Yeah, my Megs always looks like he has had no sleep as I have him sorta slumping against the shelf wall with his cannon arm and his legs askew :p

Sinnertwin
30th July 2013, 02:20 PM
Yeah, my Megs always looks like he has had no sleep as I have him sorta slumping against the shelf wall with his cannon arm and his legs askew :p

Yep, that's our guy (http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_EBUXVZcb2M&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D_EBUXVZcb2M) :p

GoktimusPrime
30th July 2013, 02:35 PM
Anyone thinking that if Takara were to merely shrink down the existing Masterpiece Megatron to the current scale (same height as MP-10 Prime for argument's sake), it would not only address the scale issue in robot mode, but alt mode would be closer to actual size too?
Hhhmmm... that's probably not a bad reason to have a new MP Megatron in the new smaller scale (though knowing TakTOM it'd overpriced :rolleyes:)

Put a new head on it (I never really dug the original head), and I'd pony up if I could get one through customs.
The current MP Megatron has a more cartoon-like robot head. There's a separate part that attaches to it to become part of the gun. Also, as a WA resident you've got virtually no problems importing the toy as it's perfectly legal in your state (lucky duck!). As a Federal body, Customs may still seize the toy, but I think they'll either release it to you because you're in WA, or you contact them and remind them that the toy isn't prohibited in your state and arrange to have the toy released to you. You may need to pick it up yourself... but either way it works out well for you. :)

While MP10 is certainly the better looking bot and toy however MP1 just has a certain level of majesty about him. Also he was a supreme step up in toy engineering and design detail compared to prior (and some future) releases whereas MP10 was more of a natural progression.

Soundwave and Grimlock are definitely two of the best looking and articulate MP's so far however they really are (especially GrimlocK) just giant versions of their G1 selves. Megatron, Starscream, Prime, Sideswipe and Hot Rod have much more design genius to appreciate.
^totally agree :D

As long as you go through the right channels and get a replica gun license he's pretty easy to import. there have been entire threads about the MP megs and associated issues, you should be able to search for them and dig them up.
AFAIK gun TFs are still illegal in QLD. They don't have the option of owning it w/ a licence like we do in NSW. :(
http://megatron.net.au/MC_Masterpiece_MP05_QLD.htm

DELTAprime
30th July 2013, 02:53 PM
AFAIK gun TFs are still illegal in QLD. They don't have the option of owning it w/ a licence like we do in NSW. :(
http://megatron.net.au/MC_Masterpiece_MP05_QLD.htm

Actually we have gotten conflicting information over the years. I know one board member (I think it was Griffen) said he was told at one stage it's just a toy and there was no issue. When I made inquiries the police said no, but my local MP's office checked with the people at Parliament that keep track of the laws and said there is no law forbidding MP Megs or other toy guns.

EDIT, this would be so much easier if we had a law that said any toy gun with an orange is legal. We would just order from someone with an orange tip attached and then take it off after we get it like the yanks do.

And I would like Takara to make another attempt at MP Megs but make him more robot mode show accurate than gun mode accurate. The current design is to flimsy and delicate.

GoktimusPrime
30th July 2013, 04:05 PM
I'm not aware of any new updates since the 24/7/2008 letter from The Honourable Judy Spencep (http://megatron.net.au/QLD/Letter%20from%20The%20Hon%20Judy%20Spence%20dated% 2024%20July%202008.pdf) (who was then QLD Minister for Police and Corrective Services, it's now Jack Dempsey MP (http://www.correctiveservices.qld.gov.au/About_Us/The_Minister/index.shtml)) -- the most recent news was:
"The Weapons Act 1990 is currently under review and the Queensland Government in achieving weapons controls is committed to consulting with all sections of the community. Before considering any future amendments to the legislation, the views of all stakeholders and those of the Queensland Police Service will be taken into consideration."

It does also go on to say, "Inspector Michael Crowley, Manager, Weapons Licensing (http://www.police.qld.gov.au/programs/weaponsLicensing/) Branch is available on telephone (07) 3015-7771 to assist with any further enquiries."
I personally don't know if Insp. Crowley is still the head of Weapons Licensing or not, but the contact number is the same, or alternatively their mailing address is:
Weapons Licensing
GPO Box 892
Brisbane QLD 4001

EDIT, this would be so much easier if we had a law that said any toy gun with an orange is legal. We would just order from someone with an orange tip attached and then take it off after we get it like the yanks do.
The laws are state-based though.

And I would like Takara to make another attempt at MP Megs but make him more robot mode show accurate than gun mode accurate. The current design is to flimsy and delicate.
If they're going to make MP Megatron smaller so that the gun mode is closer to 1:1 scale with a real Walther P38 then I would absolutely want an accurate looking gun mode, otherwise what's the point of having the gun mode 1:1 scale? :confused: Besides, Masterpiece is about trying to achieve accuracy in both modes. IMO the Third Party Not-Megatron is a bit too bulky in robot mode (particularly the legs). I know that MP Megatron has skinny legs, but it's because of the nature of the gun mode (which already is pretty darn chunky) - and I think MP Megatron does admirably well in trying to bulk out the robot mode, like the way that the leg and shoulder panels move out.

With a scaled down MP Megatron, I'm sure they'd try some new ideas/innovations at bulking out the robot mode while still retaining an accurate looking gun mode. But to really make a second MP Megatron worthwhile, especially for those of us who already have one, is to include the stock and silencer accessories, and make them able to combine into a mounted artillery like the G1 toy. That way it'd be done in the same spirit as MP10 - a smaller and somewhat simpler version of MP-1, but with more accessories (trailer, Roller, Spike). Forget Kremzeek and give us a Dr Arkeville with the same basic design and scale as MP10's Spike Witwicky. The Dr Arkeville figurine that come w/ the Seekers are just useless and do nothing but just sit in the cockpit. It'd be nice to have one with some basic level of articulation like Spike. And definitely make the scope/cannon lighter and/or improve the design of the shoulders so that Megatron can hold his arm up with the cannon attached. MP Megatron has more limited articulation than most other MPs, so giving a new MP Megs greater articulation would be good. And of course, make the transformation a LOT simpler and more intuitive/fun! Although admittedly this is hard to do if we want the toy to be an accurate thin gun transforming into a bulky robot. :o We may just have to accept the fact that the transformation is going to be inherently trickier than most other MPs... cars, trucks and Dinobots are easy because they're transforming from chunky vehicles to chunky robots... anything thin and streamlined like jets and guns on the other hand is just going to be challenging.

millhouse
30th July 2013, 04:11 PM
We may just have to accept the fact that the transformation is going to be inherently trickier than most other MPs... cars, trucks and Dinobots are easy because they're transforming from chunky vehicles to chunky robots... anything thin and streamlined like jets and guns on the other hand is just going to be challenging.

Perhaps have a look at Fans Toys Quakewave. It seems to solve the gun-to-robot conundrum rather well.

DELTAprime
30th July 2013, 05:32 PM
I'm not aware of any new updates since the 24/7/2008 letter from The Honourable Judy Spencep (http://megatron.net.au/QLD/Letter%20from%20The%20Hon%20Judy%20Spence%20dated% 2024%20July%202008.pdf) (who was then QLD Minister for Police and Corrective Services, it's now Jack Dempsey MP (http://www.correctiveservices.qld.gov.au/About_Us/The_Minister/index.shtml)) -- the most recent news was:
"The Weapons Act 1990 is currently under review and the Queensland Government in achieving weapons controls is committed to consulting with all sections of the community. Before considering any future amendments to the legislation, the views of all stakeholders and those of the Queensland Police Service will be taken into consideration."

It does also go on to say, "Inspector Michael Crowley, Manager, Weapons Licensing (http://www.police.qld.gov.au/programs/weaponsLicensing/) Branch is available on telephone (07) 3015-7771 to assist with any further enquiries."
I personally don't know if Insp. Crowley is still the head of Weapons Licensing or not, but the contact number is the same, or alternatively their mailing address is:
Weapons Licensing
GPO Box 892
Brisbane QLD 4001

Yeah but the thing is since then I've been told that there is currently nothing banning it. Unfortunately I don't still have the information the local MP's office sent me or I'd post it.

But really law enforcement is kinda a joke up here when it comes to banned items. I saw a toy MP5 in a supermarket that had no orange tip and was of a convincing size. And we supposedly have a ban on Mature Restricted magazines and X Rated movies but I see them at the news agent sitting right next to the car magazines.

Starscream77
30th July 2013, 07:16 PM
Why do all our threads go off the rails? :confused:

crankcase76
30th July 2013, 07:46 PM
My fav is also the MP Meg's, closely followed by my MP-10b. As I am a decepticon fan these are my top ones. Although I have most of the other MP's, I will be especially waiting on Soundwave to help the decepticon cause.:)

Ravagecat
30th July 2013, 08:15 PM
Why do all our threads go off the rails? :confused:

Kind of my fault I guess for bringing Megatron into the light :o He's obviously a sore point of sorts ;)

Thanks for all your imputs guys, but I was really just wondering if there was more than one version of MP Megatron released?? I was hoping there may of been a heavier version of him like MP OP.

I was aware of the state to state restrictions of owning toy guns and in a strange turn of events over the years it would appear that QLD and NSW now have the opposite views\laws to owning replica toy guns then they had back in eighties..I grew up in NSW and I'm sure a friend of mine that owned G1 Megatron back then told me his parents had to drive to Brisbane to get it for him?? Meaning G1 Megs was originally banned in NSW but allowed in QLD :eek: why cant the whole damb country follow the same laws :mad:

GoktimusPrime
30th July 2013, 08:52 PM
When Transformers started, NSW was one of the first (if not the first) state to enforce a product recall of G1 Megatron. That's not to say that toy was "more" or "less" legal in other states, it just meant that other states were a bit slower in enforcing recall. NSW may have enforced it sooner because Hasbro Australia is based in Sydney. I personally only knew one kid in the 80s who had a G1 Megatron, and his parents got it from Melbourne.

Thanks for all your imputs guys, but I was really just wondering if there was more than one version of MP Megatron released?? I was hoping there may of been a heavier version of him like MP OP.
Erm, nope. Only ever been 1 version of MP Megatron.
The official MP web site is here (http://tf.takaratomy.co.jp/toy/search/masterpiece/) and you can see the older MPs here (http://tf.takaratomy.co.jp/toy/products/TF/products/masterpiece.html). Here's the TFwiki page on MPs (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/The_Transformers:_Masterpiece) which lists all MPs made by Hasbro and Tak(TOM). :)

Sinnertwin
30th July 2013, 09:15 PM
Y'know, the more i think about it, Hot Rod's gaining ground on my favourite MP list.

Lordy
30th July 2013, 09:16 PM
I like the MP-7 Thundercracker. Might change when the MP Smokescreen comes out

Robzy
30th July 2013, 09:57 PM
I love em all :o

I probably have to lean towards either Soundwave or Optimus (the new one!!)... they're both spectacular. Maybe Soundwave just wins it though!

DELTAprime
30th July 2013, 10:06 PM
I like the MP-7 Thundercracker. Might change when the MP Smokescreen comes out

Interesting choice. Most people prefer the version 2.0 of the seeker mold. I'd like to hear why you like that mold. I've been considering maybe picking up a Hasbro MP TC to replace my MP-7.

Slag
30th July 2013, 10:13 PM
Yep, that's our guy (http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_EBUXVZcb2M&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D_EBUXVZcb2M) :p

Now that's my kind of cup:p

I've only ever transformed MP02, 03 and 08. I'd have to go with mp-02 as my fave, but MP-01,02,04 and 05 don't really fit in anymore as far as i'm concerned.

My MP-03 transformed from jet to robot and back again ..no no, he broke while transforming him back, he's been missing for a while now:confused::rolleyes:

I've heard that many stories about poor old Hotrod breaking or already pre broken for your convenience that I'll be leaving him in his box.

Soundwave looks great as a figure, he has minions.... Hard to beat at this stage, although i haven't transformed him yet.
Grimlock is still up there too..

GoktimusPrime
30th July 2013, 10:21 PM
Interesting choice. Most people prefer the version 2.0 of the seeker mold. I'd like to hear why you like that mold. I've been considering maybe picking up a Hasbro MP TC to replace my MP-7.

The original Seeker mould does look nicer in jet mode, particularly with the undercarriage - but the new Seeker mould does look and play better as a robot. The head on the original MP Thundercracker looks nicer than on the new one which just looks too "Starscream" with that face sculpt. I personally prefer the sleeker heads on the original Seekers; nothing wrong with the new one though, just a personal preference for me.

Colourwise I also prefer the darker blue on the original MP Thundercracker as it's more accurate to the original G1 Thundercracker's toy (and comic) colours, whereas the lighter blue on Hasbro's MP Thundercracker is closer to the way he was coloured in the cartoon.

For me, I already collected Starscream, Skywarp and Thundercracker under the original MP Seeker mould. I don't see the need to spend more money collecting them again with the new mould which is essentially a retool of the old one. A very extensive retool, yes, but still a retool nonetheless. I'm more interested in collecting the Rainmakers under the new mould; already have Sunstorm and I'm intending on getting Acid Storm when it comes out here. :) Hopefully either Hasbro or TakaraTOMY will release a Masterpiece Bitstream in the near future, then all three Rainmakers will exist in MP form. :D That way I can keep the old body type for the original Seekers, and the new body type for the Rainmakers, making both sets of Seekers look more distinct from each other. :)

My MP-03 transformed from jet to robot and back again ..no no, he broke while transforming him back, he's been missing for a while now:confused::rolleyes:
Yeah, the original MP Starscream is horribly fragile. :( But other versions of this mould are significantly tougher thanks to the use of more solid quality plastic, instead of the "model kit grade" plastic they used with MP-3. :rolleyes:

I've heard that many stories about poor old Hotrod breaking or already pre broken for your convenience that I'll be leaving him in his box.
Is yours TakaraTOMY or Hasbro? TakaraTOMY Rodimus has quality issues which the Hasbro version has improved upon.

Soundwave looks great as a figure, he has minions.... Hard to beat at this stage, although i haven't transformed him yet.
You're judging a toy that you haven't played with yet? Only one way to remedy this situation -- go have a jolly good play! :D :) :cool:

Melike
31st July 2013, 01:41 PM
Hey guys, as a relapsed collector looking to get back into the game whereabouts would one find these? I'm hoping to get the new Soundwave which looks awesome but I have no idea where to start looking apart from a few overseas sites..

UltraMarginal
31st July 2013, 02:14 PM
For me, I already collected Starscream, Skywarp and Thundercracker under the original MP Seeker mould. I don't see the need to spend more money collecting them again with the new mould which is essentially a retool of the old one. A very extensive retool, yes, but still a retool nonetheless. I'm more interested in collecting the Rainmakers under the new mould; already have Sunstorm and I'm intending on getting Acid Storm when it comes out here. :) Hopefully either Hasbro or TakaraTOMY will release a Masterpiece Bitstream in the near future, then all three Rainmakers will exist in MP form. :D That way I can keep the old body type for the original Seekers, and the new body type for the Rainmakers, making both sets of Seekers look more distinct from each other. :)

my feelings exactly. gives each set of 3 some individuality.

For the thread topic itself, I'm still thinking...

1orion2many
31st July 2013, 02:15 PM
Being released at TRU (toys R Us) in November but if it's anything like the MP-10 release in Perth Good Luck in finding one:rolleyes:

1orion2many
31st July 2013, 02:18 PM
:confused:I really do love the new cars but I guess I'll have to stick with "KING GRIMLOCK":D

Melike
31st July 2013, 02:51 PM
Being released at TRU (toys R Us) in November but if it's anything like the MP-10 release in Perth Good Luck in finding one:rolleyes:

Exactly! So what does everyone do?

DELTAprime
31st July 2013, 03:42 PM
^ You can hit up hlj.com, bbts.com, robotkingdom.com, they will have some MP's up from preorder or currently available.

Do not buy MP-12, MP-12T or MP-14 off ebay, they have been KOed (counterfeited). Hit up reputable Transformers retailers on the web for them.

Do not buy MP-5 from an international seller unless you are in WA. (see earlier post and threads on the problems with getting him through customs)

All the rest you will have to hit up ebay for.

I suggest before you start collecting looking at http://tfwiki.net/wiki/The_Transformers:_Masterpiece and deciding which version of each figure you want. Takara normally has gone with show accurate decos but Hasbro normally goes with G1 toy accurate decos, decide which one you like best and grab it.

It will not be cheap to get the older figures, but I think they are worth having.

GoktimusPrime
31st July 2013, 03:54 PM
Exactly! So what does everyone do?
If it's a Japanese Masterpiece, I preorder it. Preordering gives you earlybird discounts, which is even more important now that the retail price of Japanese MPs has increased. :( Some online stores offer free exclusive bonus content too (e.g. chrome piledrivers w/ Lambor, extra Energon cubes w/ Soundwave, exclusive coins etc.). :)

If it's a Hasbro Masterpiece, then I just get it from local shops. In the case of hard to find MPs like MP10 Optimus Prime, I called up local Toys R Us stores to see which ones had the toy in stock and when I finally found one that did I asked them to reserve one for me. :) So if I were you, I'd be making lots of phone calls to your local TRUs come November. I'll probably be doing this for MP Acid Storm. :o

1orion2many
4th August 2013, 11:25 PM
We didn't get that many in Perth compared to the East so it may not be that easy over here:(

GoktimusPrime
5th August 2013, 12:00 AM
When I initially had trouble finding MP10, TRU's head office told me that they could source one for me. I was able to find one in the meantime, so I never had to take them up on their offer -- but that could be another possibility if you cannot find one at your nearest TRUs.

drifand
5th August 2013, 11:44 AM
^ You can hit up hlj.com, bbts.com, robotkingdom.com, they will have some MP's up from preorder or currently available.

Do not buy MP-5 from an international seller unless you are in WA. (see earlier post and threads on the problems with getting him through customs)

Hey guys I been out of the loop but have you guys manage to get Magatron MP? Likewise old G1 reissue of Megatron?

What the deal, and what if you own one? Do you keep it hush hush? I read that you are not allowed to take photos especially in gun form.

Note: A discussion of what it is now not a debate of whether right or wrong here. Please just give me the facts and what it is. Thank you.

Sinnertwin
5th August 2013, 11:53 AM
Hey guys I been out of the loop but have you guys manage to get Magatron MP? Likewise old G1 reissue of Megatron?

What the deal, and what if you own one? Do you keep it hush hush? I read that you are not allowed to take photos especially in gun form.

Note: A discussion of what it is now not a debate of whether right or wrong here. Please just give me the facts and what it is. Thank you.

http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=15885
That'll get you started. You should be able to.Google the rest

drifand
5th August 2013, 12:06 PM
Thanks. I always thought whether it was safe to bring over my G1 from Singapore to Perth.

GoktimusPrime
5th August 2013, 12:58 PM
drifand,

Gun Transformers are NOT illegal or prohibited in Western Australia, so as a WA resident you can happily own one without restrictions. :D (lucky sods! :p)

However, Customs is a Federal body so they may confiscate the toy(s) if they intercept it. But if that happens, you just need to inform them that you are a WA resident and entitled to own the toy without restriction. Then you arrange a time to go pick it up. It's a minor hassle, but sure beats being in states/territories where the toy remains outlawed. ;)

drifand
5th August 2013, 01:15 PM
Thank you for the info, I will probably bring over my G1 on my next trip, note though, I normally put them in different box and in robot form to avoid any issues, as I don't want any trouble at all. Laws are bound to change so I better do this soon.

ILikeSoundwave
5th August 2013, 01:28 PM
I don't any Masterpieces yet, but by looking at them it's got to be Soundwave.

drifand
5th August 2013, 02:12 PM
I don't any Masterpieces yet, but by looking at them it's got to be Soundwave.

None of the primes appeal to you? Or you are not a G1 collector?

ILikeSoundwave
5th August 2013, 02:26 PM
None of the primes appeal to you? Or you are not a G1 collector?

I never said none of the Primes appeal to me, it's just he's not my favorite.

Slag
5th August 2013, 05:34 PM
Is yours TakaraTOMY or Hasbro? TakaraTOMY Rodimus has quality issues which the Hasbro version has improved upon.

You're judging a toy that you haven't played with yet? Only one way to remedy this situation -- go have a jolly good play! :D :) :cool:

My Hotrod is Hasbro.

I've had Soundwave walking around the kitchen for a bit. We had a couple of hours together for a photoshoot:p Just not as a tape player

nexusnixx
5th August 2013, 07:19 PM
personally MP 04 - Perfect Convoy! love the amount of diecast in it.... MP05- Megatron was a joke... held it... and i thought i was holding to a piece of stick...

Hey guys, as a relapsed collector looking to get back into the game whereabouts would one find these? I'm hoping to get the new Soundwave which looks awesome but I have no idea where to start looking apart from a few overseas sites..

get in touch with me please... do have contacts/ avenue for masterpieces

Sinnertwin
5th August 2013, 07:26 PM
get in touch with me please... do have contacts/ avenue for masterpieces

Nexus,
Sunstorm & MP10B. Can we work something out?

seespotrun
5th August 2013, 08:54 PM
MP-13 Soundwave is very good, and MP-8 Grimlock has a shiny gold chest (plus, he transforms into a freakin' T-Rex!).

But, if I had to show one figure to someone else to sum up why I like to collect transformers, it would have to be MP-10 Optimus. An iconic leader, great looking in both modes, and excellent posability (especially once I fixed his loose ankles). The trailer and extras are just gravy.