PDA

View Full Version : Customising TF advice - what tools to use?

reillyd
6th August 2013, 01:59 PM
I'd like to have a go at customising some of my transformer figures, by adding extra features like a minicon port, tailfins, etc. I've found a few nice guides for sculpting but they all use American products.

Can someone offer me some advice on what products are suitable and available in Australia? I'd like to sculpt small features, and then paint and glue them onto existing plastic toys. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly
appreciated

Lint
6th August 2013, 02:42 PM
Try to find a product called Milliput. It's sculptable and sticks STRONG to plastic. For things like adding a minicon port it's great. However you may need art skills better than mine to create a decent tailfin or a custom head :p

I was able to find it back when I was in WA but have not come across it in VIC.

iamirondude
6th August 2013, 04:23 PM
i use tamiya putty. it's pretty good but i know a couple of mr toys toyworld down there have massive hobby stores in them, maybe go and see them with a TF so they know what your talking about and they should point you in the right direction. also you can sheets of hobby plastic that are various thickness that could help make tailfins and armour.

CBratron
6th August 2013, 04:33 PM
My advice, start small. Do minor alterations or mods at first. Maybe just a simple repaint like painting the blue stripes on Entertainment Pack Bumblebee (http://www.seibertron.com/images/toys/files/156/r_ep-bumblebee-068.jpg) black or buy a junker to practice on (goodness knows there are enough $10 deluxe transformers out there).

Do you have any miniature sculpting or painting experience?

Iriorne
6th August 2013, 09:50 PM
Tamiya putty is great for filling gaps but I wouldn't suggest trying to sculpt with it as in my experience, the consistency is too thin. It doesn't hold it's shape out of the tube and once it starts to cure it becomes crumbly if you try and work it. Maybe I'm doing it wrong? :confused:

I've heard good things about a two-part mixture called Kneadatite Blue-Yellow, commonly known as Green Stuff. It comes in sealed strips with yellow and blue putty - cut off the amount you want and knead together, then you have an hour or so to sculpt. You could also try using polymer clay, which will remain workable until you bake it, though it won't have any adhesive properties. I think Green Stuff is a US product but you can get it off Australian Ebay sellers if there's no local distributor.

For scratch building details, I'd recommend sheet or strip styrene from a model/hobby shop. It comes in sheets or packs of varying widths and thicknesses and is pretty easy to work with.

Check out the range of paints available in the hobby shop too, if it's something you're interested in doing. You'll find you get much better results using modelling paints than cheap cans of spray paint, which will tend to go on thick and cover up any fine detail. Decent masking tape (I recommend Tamiya) is a must if you're using spray paints.

iamirondude
6th August 2013, 10:36 PM
yeah i read the top wrong, DON'T use the tamiya putty for shaping but i found it to the best when you fill gaps and need to smooth a surface over and redo panel lines etc. the sheet styrene is the word i was looking for earlier, so grab some and you can do your tailfins with that. it's easy to trace your parts on and cut out and it's easy to work with and strong also.