PDA

View Full Version : suggestion - seperate collections and customs forum

theshape
1st September 2013, 04:49 PM
As the title says, I feel the custom threads dominate this section and outshine collection threads.

Just a friendly suggestions :)

Trent
1st September 2013, 09:09 PM
As the title says, I feel the custom threads dominate this section and outshine collection threads.

Just a friendly suggestions :)

Yeah I'll back that. The collection threads seem to get lost in amongst the custom threads. I can see the merit in having them separate.

Also perhaps look at making them viewable by members only.

griffin
1st September 2013, 10:05 PM
They do, but were paired with collections because there weren't/aren't enough collections topics to support its own section.

Paulbot
1st September 2013, 10:33 PM
I'd like it. Then I would stop having to update this thread (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=638) which links to 130 or so different individuals collection threads we have so far.

griffin
1st September 2013, 10:54 PM
I could look at having collections be part of the comparisons section, since that section has a little more activity than collections, but less than creative stuff.

tinyJazz
2nd September 2013, 12:45 AM
Do you mean like another subforum - like the two separate ones in the sales section - or actually combined with the pic requests/comparisons subforum?

I think that OTCA being mostly a collectors community (hey, it's in the title), that the collections threads certainly deserve their own subforum at least. The setup currently works, but I agree with theshape, I think it's a bit cluttered.

I don't know why you'd have that section private though. :confused:

GoktimusPrime
2nd September 2013, 08:39 AM
I agree with having them as separate sub forums in the Creative Section. :)

UltraMarginal
2nd September 2013, 11:25 AM
I think it's a good idea seperating them out.

CBratron
2nd September 2013, 06:38 PM
I don't mind where it is now but if it had to move, maybe it should be a sub-forum of Scavenger's Acquisitions?

MayzaPrime
2nd September 2013, 06:45 PM
I still have more stuff to put in the collections section :D

Bidoofdude
4th September 2013, 08:50 PM
A sub-forum would be fine for me. :)

griffin
4th February 2014, 08:47 PM
Since the matter raised its head again in the "Warning" topic, I've moved Collections in with Comparisons, to leave Creative stuff on its own.

I am also trialling the suggestion of having the Collections section be restricted to Members only - it won't stop determined thieves, as it doesn't take too much effort to become a Basic Member, but it will stop unregistered guests or newbies who haven't at least tried to prove that they are a fan.
(the point of having Collections hidden, is due to the growing public awareness of the Value of rare and Vintage Transformers toys... so it should be prudent to not make it publicly known who has expensive items, that could end up being traceable based on their known location or by tracking them down after a sale or meet)
Keeping this section private (like the Meets and Saleyard sections) will be based on feedback of the members.

I have moved most of the Collection threads at this time, and still have from July 2009 to end of 2011 to go.

I actually started out with Comparisons in with Creative, but then figured that some Comparison (and themed) topics/photos will also show rare or expensive items at times... so I moved them back in the new Collections section.

Trent
4th February 2014, 10:57 PM
Thanks for that Griffman. Will be easier to look through collections now when I have a bit of spare time :)

Another advantage to having the collection thread private might be that more members feel comfortable with posting their collections ;)

griffin
4th February 2014, 11:09 PM
I've moved all the collections threads I could find, but may have missed some... so if anyone sees something that should be in the Collection section, let me know.

I've also spotted some info topics relating to customising that I've started sticking, and will look for others to merge and stick.

theshape
5th February 2014, 12:52 AM
Thanks for this :)

UltraMarginal
5th February 2014, 10:45 AM
Sounds like a good set up for the moment.

Megatron
5th February 2014, 12:09 PM
Should the Scavenger's Acquisitions forum be restricted to Members only as well then, since it contains a lot of new and expensive purchases by members and is part of our collections?

Paulbot
5th February 2014, 12:17 PM
I don't know, I'm not sure how big the wall needs to be. Combined with some other things discussed lately there's a bit of an unfriendly vibe appearing IMO.

I think people should know to turn off gps location information from their photos before uploading them (goes for any photo up on the Internet), and the advice about being alert but not alarmed, is good enough for now.

griffin
5th February 2014, 05:24 PM
If people are worried about showing off something in the acquisitions section, they can just post it in their (hidden) collection topic.
To go on what Paulbot is talking about, I don't want to be closing off anything we don't need to, or else this place starts to look less inviting.... or too unknown for people to know what they could be joining up to.

Megatran
6th February 2014, 09:54 AM
Too right! The main reason for me recently joining this formum was the inclusiveness shown to members and potential members alike. Putting up high fences gives the perception that our community is exclusive, which may deter new members from joining this FANTASTIC forum.

Sinnertwin
7th February 2014, 07:35 PM
Out of the 24 headings on the main page only 3 are hidden to non members.
Here we are talking about being secretive or putting walls up, yet we have the meet section, where social interaction between fans is encouraged made private?
Anyway, it takes 2 minutes to register & isnt a difficult process.

Bidoofdude
7th February 2014, 10:29 PM
Sounds good. I like it. Much easier to find collection threads now. :)