PDA

View Full Version : Target 20% off toys - 26 Sept to 02 Oct

Mr_K
23rd September 2013, 11:47 AM
Target has 20% off toys this coming week (as indicated in their catalogue):

http://catalogues.target.com.au/catalogue/target-catalogue--get-more-new-fun-looks/13790461967715.html#pageNo=0

I'll be picking up TF Metroplex on Thursday :D

Megatron
23rd September 2013, 11:57 AM
Hm, I might make a trip to the nearest local store and pick up a Transformers Construct Bots Ultimate Set for $47.

Sharky
23rd September 2013, 12:00 PM
hopfully metroplex is in

UltraMarginal
23rd September 2013, 12:02 PM
I can't figure out why the catalogue doesn't have an entry for Metroplex?
I realise it's a blanket toy sale but seriously you're getting in a new huuuuge toy that has some potential to shelf warm due to size and cost and you're not putting that in a catalogue that is promoting a toy sale? I don't get that.
At least there shouldn't be too much of a rush on the big fella :cool:

jazzcomp
23rd September 2013, 01:18 PM
At least there shouldn't be too much of a rush on the big fella :cool:
Hopefully. ;)

Sinnertwin
23rd September 2013, 01:37 PM
And there it is.
Hopefully all the stores will have them in by next Wednesday
I might take a walk up & see if i can put one on hold for a few days

Jetfire in the sky
23rd September 2013, 02:49 PM
I just finished building a specific shelf for him, fingers crossed he'll be in stock

BigTransformerTrev
24th September 2013, 10:02 AM
Might pick up Constructbots Blitzwing and BH Deluxe Soundwave if still in stock - two figures I could never justify paying full price for

AJ_Prime
24th September 2013, 12:32 PM
I went into my local Target today, put a Metroplex in the trolley and approached the service desk. I requested that they sell it to me for the sale price of $119 that is happening in 2 days time. They tell me they can't sell it to me for that price earlier than the sale date.

Can someone please explain to me the commercial logic in refusing a sale to someone at a price they will be offering in two days time? I mean, they can either sell it to me now for $119 or they can sell it to me in two days for the same price. Is there really a need to wait until the sale date? Whatever happened to offer and acceptance? I offered them a fair price, no less than what I would pay in a couple of days, so they're not losing out at all...

So I told them, no problems, I'll come back in two days and buy it for that price. WTF?! :confused:

Omega Metro
24th September 2013, 01:22 PM
I went into my local Target today, put a Metroplex in the trolley and approached the service desk. I requested that they sell it to me for the sale price of $119 that is happening in 2 days time. They tell me they can't sell it to me for that price earlier than the sale date.

Can someone please explain to me the commercial logic in refusing a sale to someone at a price they will be offering in two days time? I mean, they can either sell it to me now for $119 or they can sell it to me in two days for the same price. Is there really a need to wait until the sale date? Whatever happened to offer and acceptance? I offered them a fair price, no less than what I would pay in a couple of days, so they're not losing out at all...

So I told them, no problems, I'll come back in two days and buy it for that price. WTF?! :confused:

Sounds like someone is getting impatient. :D They have to make it fair for everybody because if everyone did that, there would be none left come sale day.

AJ_Prime
24th September 2013, 01:49 PM
Sounds like someone is getting impatient. :D They have to make it fair for everybody because if everyone did that, there would be none left come sale day.

Haha yes, def getting impatient :D. I hear what you're saying, but they're not advertised in the catalogue anyway. Also if everyone bought it for the sale price pre-sale, the store is still winning.

So close, yet so far. Can I wait two days? :p

Gofigure
24th September 2013, 01:53 PM
Never heard of any store allowing customers to buy an item for a sale price when the sale was not actually happening

I think it's a fair arrangement for everybody. What's to stop me strolling into Kmart now and saying hey I want this this this but I'm not paying retail pricd but July toy sale price? :p

I can see how stores have to get pretty strict with this stuff.

griffin
24th September 2013, 02:00 PM
For the store, they have the potential of making an extra $30 if they sell it before the sale, to someone who doesn't know that there is a sale coming.
The risk to you is should you grab it now, or wait and hope that there is still one left when the sale starts.

Lint
24th September 2013, 02:03 PM

Well the commercial logic is that some idiot person may come along and buy it for $150 before the sale. Non-commercially theres also the whole fairness factor to other customers by selling items at sales prices before the actual sale date.

Not having a dig at you btw you are well within your rights as a customer to make an offer :cool: but they are also well within their rights (for the reasons above) to refuse it. If they allowed this they may as well just sell toys at 20% off to anyone who asks because they're bound to have a 20% off sale at some point in the near future. (I actually wish they would do this :p)

llamatron
24th September 2013, 02:03 PM
If your charisma score is high enough you can buy one now and then return it + repurchase it at the lower price on Thursday.

AJ_Prime
24th September 2013, 02:08 PM
Never heard of any store allowing customers to buy an item for a sale price when the sale was not actually happening

I think it's a fair arrangement for everybody. What's to stop me strolling into Kmart now and saying hey I want this this this but I'm not paying retail pricd but July toy sale price? :p

I can see how stores have to get pretty strict with this stuff.

But you can do that. The price on the shelf is simply their offer. They are offering to sell you something for that price. You still have the right to negotiate the price. They don't have to accept the counter proposal, but there are plenty of places that will. The only reason they don't put a cheaper price on the shelf is simply to maximise their profits. Most people won't haggle and they know that. But there's no law stopping you from trying.

At the same time, if they aren't willing to sell for the lower price you are offering to buy their item for, you are equally within your rights to refuse the purchase. The entire transaction is merely an agreement between two parties to exchange goods and money. The value is always negotiable, depending on how far either party is willing to move.

A sale is merely the stores offer to sell you their goods at a lower price than normal between certain dates. The only boundaries on that is what they choose to set. As a policy, they will tell all their ground floor staff not to sell goods at the sale price before the sale. That way they can still make their normal margin on the goods up until that date. If you were to negotiate with a more senior staff member there is a chance you may receive the item at a price that both parties agree is fair, regardless of timing, simply because they have more power to make that decision. But that depends on the person you speak to.

Edit: Well how about that? While I was typing this up, more replies appeared. Thanks guys for you input. Lint, I completely agree with what you're saying. Llamatron, my charisma score probably isn't high enough to do that LOL. But you're right, if you had the assertiveness to pursue a negotiation all the way you could probably get some joy on a day to day basis with your purchases. But it's usually easier to just pay the shelf price, unless you're particularly passionate about something (like Metroplex for example :D).

Freya
24th September 2013, 02:56 PM
Do what some of us did in the past, buy at full price, when the sale start, return it and get full refund then buy it again, just to piss them off...lol

AJ_Prime
24th September 2013, 03:50 PM
Offer accepted ;). $119 two days before the sale. I must have more charisma than I thought. :D

Manager of the toy section seemed like a reasonable chap.

pw_sd
24th September 2013, 05:27 PM
Probably you may purchase him now, and come back in two days to do a refund, also repurchase him again.

Gofigure
24th September 2013, 05:28 PM
Stand corrected

Never ever have I ever been able to get a store to change its price, on anything. In particular, never changing to a sale price from a current retail price

Respect.hehe

Sinnertwin
24th September 2013, 05:35 PM
You'll find that if you ask the day before & the day after the sale dates that most retailers are willing to accomodate your request of a reduced price. Or if your AJ Prime, two days ;) This is known as the buffer period. There are exceptions of course, such as 50% off items, but if a retailer is confident that there are sufficient amounts to satisfy customer interest on the first day of a sale, it shouldn't be an issue. Be sure to speak to the relevant Manager or senior staff member.

jazzcomp
24th September 2013, 05:37 PM
Offer accepted ;). $119 two days before the sale. I must have more charisma than I thought. :D

Wow!

AJ_Prime
24th September 2013, 05:51 PM
I might've just got lucky. Hope everyone picks one up, he's great.

millhouse
24th September 2013, 06:17 PM

Because that's when the promotional period is. They want traffic during that time, they promote stock at a price during that time.

Don't like it? Pay full price. Otherwise, wait. It's not your right to shop at Target. Its their right to refuse your custom.

Lint
24th September 2013, 07:40 PM

Nice! You should capitalise on this charisma roll and start asking random beautiful women out on dates. :D

Manager of the toy section is a clever guy. You don't want to be the manager of a toy section with giant boxes you can't move. Maybe I should make them a lowball offer on their stacks of Fattimus Primes :p

AJ_Prime
24th September 2013, 09:14 PM
Nice! You should capitalise on this charisma roll and start asking random beautiful women out on dates. :D

LOL would love to but I think my wife might have something to say about that ;)

Ae-Evolution
25th September 2013, 12:27 AM

I'm surprised, Target don't even match price with others.

kaiden
25th September 2013, 07:02 AM
I'm surprised, Target don't even match price with others.

they do but only when its specifically advertised like during xmas, mid year etc.

otherwise every day else they're douchebags

M-bot
25th September 2013, 09:34 AM
Does anyone know the difference (if any) between a Target store and a "Target Country" store, especially with respect to toy stock an sales like this one?

Megatron
25th September 2013, 10:38 AM
Does anyone know the difference (if any) between a Target store and a "Target Country" store, especially with respect to toy stock an sales like this one?

When it comes to Transformers, Target Country (at least the one near me) has no stock. If they do, it'd be very limited. My local one only has one or two small aisles dedicated to all 3+ kids' toys in general.

Otherwise, anything on sale at a regular Target should be listed for the same price at a Target Country as well, if they have it in stock. Such as when the FoC video game was marked down a few months ago.

SuspectimusPrime
25th September 2013, 04:38 PM

So much respect! :eek:

When it comes to Transformers, Target Country (at least the one near me) has no stock. If they do, it'd be very limited. My local one only has one or two small aisles dedicated to all 3+ kids' toys in general.

Otherwise, anything on sale at a regular Target should be listed for the same price at a Target Country as well, if they have it in stock. Such as when the FoC video game was marked down a few months ago.

Agreed. When I was relocating back via road tripping from Melbourne to Sydney I stopped off at many Target Country's and Toyworlds. Only a handful of Target Country's had actual Transformers. The staff mentioned they only ever get the really popularly promoted toys (at the time, Skylanders?).

Sinnertwin
25th September 2013, 04:44 PM

Being smaller than the regular Target's, Target Country stores have to be more selective when it comes to their ranges of merchandise. As for sales, they may participate with what Target is promoting on a smaller scale &/or they may have sales specifically for themselves. These are all there on the T's & C's of the catalogues. If you can't find something at a Country store they should be able to transfer it in & sell it to you at the advertised price.

BigTransformerTrev
26th September 2013, 01:38 PM
Nabbed a BH Deluxe Soundwave and a Constructbots Ironhide today. Still could not bring myself to get any of the larger constructbots or FOC Soundwave (I got Soundblaster) even at 20% off. Visitig Melb on the weekend, may see if one of the larger Targets there have a wider range of TF's.

trawler
26th September 2013, 03:52 PM
Hi all, first time poster but long time tf fan. Anyone have any luck finding a Metroplex in a Brisbane Target? I tried Buranda and Carindale but no luck.

Sinnertwin
26th September 2013, 04:08 PM
Hi all, first time poster but long time tf fan. Anyone have any luck finding a Metroplex in a Brisbane Target? I tried Buranda and Carindale but no luck.

Welcome :)
Check here
http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=3186&page=158

trawler
26th September 2013, 09:14 PM
Welcome :)
Check here
http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=3186&page=158

Thanks and whoops! :o Added some Brisbane availability info to that thread.

deceptibot
29th September 2013, 07:43 PM
For what its worth when I called my local Target they told me that there is another toy sale coming up at the end of October. Perhaps Metroplex will feature in that? (if there are any left)

drifand
29th September 2013, 09:14 PM
For what its worth when I called my local Target they told me that there is another toy sale coming up at the end of October. Perhaps Metroplex will feature in that? (if there are any left)

Not likely, stocks would be really low, BigW is another story, as far as I know this guy would be done by first week of Oct imo.

tomo597
8th October 2013, 01:11 AM
OMG im so happy i logged in tonight u made my night, morning im so happy ima head down this weekend n get my self a Metroplex so stoked for that, just need the other platinum figures from the states now :)