PDA

View Full Version : mp 05 megatron reissue

nsm034
26th September 2013, 03:17 AM
wonder if its the same size as the first or small now to match mp 10 ?

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=TAK11213&mode=retail

Tetsuwan Convoy
26th September 2013, 04:01 AM
Listing says it is 12 inches tall. Plus if it were a smaller size it'd probably have another mp#

VGMStudios
26th September 2013, 04:05 AM
Check out that price! Sure went up over the years. Damn!

liegeprime
26th September 2013, 06:44 AM
12 inches so it would be compatible size now with MP 10. Note that they have now specified in the description - Australian government and Australian Customs can confiscate this item so importing will be of your own risk. Orange tip barrel or not, there is no provision in our law here for such modification - if it's a replica gun - toy or not - it's a gun so yeah only chance we may have is you go buy it overseas, and bring it yourself in when you come back, in Bot mode most likely. And even that isn't a guarantee.:(

Megatran
26th September 2013, 08:24 AM
Is it a BBTS exclusive? That's a mega price for a mega bad ass dude. So, I'm also taking it to mean the orange barrel plug will interfere with 3rd party silencer add-on?

My Decepticon army is without it's true leader... I so want one, legally.

kaiden
26th September 2013, 11:43 AM
Is it a BBTS exclusive? That's a mega price for a mega bad ass dude. So, I'm also taking it to mean the orange barrel plug will interfere with 3rd party silencer add-on?

My Decepticon army is without it's true leader... I so want one, legally.

you can remove the plug once you get it... just don't have it in gun form in public.

drifand
26th September 2013, 12:03 PM
So technically THIS is not an reissue if the size is different is different.

yoshi594
26th September 2013, 01:15 PM
Umm...there is no size difference between this mp 05 and the original mp05.

As quoted from the mp10 listing at tfsource:

Mp-10 was about 10'' tall, about 2'' shorter than mp-01.

http://tfsource.com/masterpiece/mp-10-optimus-prime/

Jetfire in the sky
26th September 2013, 01:32 PM
I just measured my MP Megs. Same size. :)

Lint
26th September 2013, 01:48 PM
Check out that price! Sure went up over the years. Damn!

Still I think this is the first re-run in the very long time of MP-05 (I think there was a re-run shortly after the original release?) so its a great opportunity for those who don't own him to obtain one.

If the third-party revolution has proven anything it's that collectors are willing to pay a huge premium for G1-esque figures. TT are reaping the whirlwind! :rolleyes:

Sinnertwin
26th September 2013, 01:55 PM
Didn't think i'd be seeing this mold again 6 years later. I suppose with Prime being revamped & rereleased, Megatron was inevitable. Although the scale may deter some fans.

griffin
26th September 2013, 02:11 PM
MP Megtron had a second run a little while back, so I think this could just be BBTS getting their hands on some limited stock from an Asian source. Which could explain the higher price (getting it from another business), and why it hasn't been noted as being a reissue from other online stores.

CBratron
26th September 2013, 05:55 PM
Although the scale may deter some fans.

It has deterred me. So did the price. So did weapons laws.

GoktimusPrime
26th September 2013, 06:06 PM
If anyone's unsure about the legal status or procedures for ownership of replica gun Transformers in their state/territory, you can refer to the Megatron Gun Club (http://megatron.net.au) for further information. :)

reillyd
26th September 2013, 08:41 PM
12 inches so it would be compatible size now with MP 10. Note that they have now specified in the description - Australian government and Australian Customs can confiscate this item so importing will be of your own risk. Orange tip barrel or not, there is no provision in our law here for such modification - if it's a replica gun - toy or not - it's a gun so yeah only chance we may have is you go buy it overseas, and bring it yourself in when you come back, in Bot mode most likely. And even that isn't a guarantee.:(

Unless you live in Qld and apply for a non firing replica permit, in which case customs will release it. Probably safer to buy it from a Aus buyer

drifand
26th September 2013, 09:26 PM
I just measured my MP Megs. Same size. :)

So that means is still wont look scaled with mp-10.

Jetfire in the sky
26th September 2013, 09:39 PM
Correct, it is same height as MP1

trevorlucks
26th September 2013, 11:41 PM
Unless you live in Qld and apply for a non firing replica permit, in which case customs will release it. Probably safer to buy it from a Aus buyer

I have one I am wanting to sell, has a slight case of the "cosmic rust" these are known for but still has original box and accessories all in good condition,ex Perth. Pm me if interested prefer pickup but will accept paypal and post. Not sure about how laws regarding this figure apply for interstate Australia

Megatran
27th September 2013, 07:45 AM
If anyone's unsure about the legal status or procedures for ownership of replica gun Transformers in their state/territory, you can refer to the Megatron Gun Club (http://megatron.net.au) for further information. :)
Thanks GoktimusPrime. Saved me the time of posting the question on this forum.

I trawled through the link. As I understand it, replica guns is not legal in my state of VIC. Moving interstate to live is a bit too much to ask for an MP-05.

Ultra Mackness
27th September 2013, 08:51 AM
Actually Megatran, the laws in Victoria changed in 2011. Have a look at the links in post 2 of this thread:

http://otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=11667

It's still a fair task to go through, and I suspect that if you were to import one, it would still have to go through customs (who may be heavy handed in their inspection) and you'd need to apply for its release, but it is totally legal to own any of the gunformers, provided you have the chief commissioner's permission to own "imitation" (distinct from "replica") firearms.

yoshi594
27th September 2013, 09:08 AM
The first one i bought from ebay and that was detained by customs for 3 months or so.

The 2nd one I got during the whole last run of the original masterpiece prime mould came to my place with no hassle from customs. I got the 2nd one due to fear of rust, but till today mine hasn't rusted yet.

Megatran
27th September 2013, 09:29 AM
That's a lot of work to legally acquire an MP-5 in VIC, and no guarantees either! I guess the red tape is there for Checks & Balances, but it also deters people from trying through legit channels.

Has anyone in VIC been successful in recent times (post 2011)? I'm interested to know. I don't have a firearms licence and have no desire to handle real guns. I just want Megs on display in bot mode.

GoktimusPrime
27th September 2013, 09:45 AM
Firearms laws are state-based, and Customs is a Federal Body, that's why they can still confiscate the toy. But once they've done that they'll contact you, in which case you reply to them and let them know that either:
a) You live in a state where the toy is not outlawed or prohibited; or
b) You live in a state where the toy is prohibited, but you have a current valid permit/licence to own it and provide evidence
You will then need to go and pick up the toy from Customs.

Yes, it's a hassle, but it sure beats not having a permit which gives you NO legal grounds to claim the toy and Customs will incinerate it. I have heard of cases where people who had no permit had their toys seized and destroyed, but I've never heard of a case where someone had the legal right to possess the toy still be denied its return. Worst case I've heard would be like yoshi594's where you end up waiting ages to get the toy back, but at least you get the toy in the end (though I can easily imagine that the wait would be excruciating). <knock.on.wood>

drifand
29th September 2013, 12:34 AM
what a waste, resell it on ebay. lol

Kazza
29th September 2013, 03:25 AM
Ironically I know of two shops in melbourne that have MP-05 for sale. You can technically go in and buy it outright, bypassing all paperwork needed to own it. However you should probably keep quiet about your ownership.

Shop 22 in paramatta centre on bourke st, and the hobby shop under train station in Ivanhoe.

drifand
29th September 2013, 11:23 AM
Ditto, and my advise? Leave it in robot form.

Megatran
29th September 2013, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the heads up on local hobby stores. Any idea on price? Is it highly marked up? Might pay a visit.:D

drifand
29th September 2013, 03:01 PM
Thanks for the heads up on local hobby stores. Any idea on price? Is it highly marked up? Might pay a visit.:D

You should count yourself lucky if you can get one, I wouldn't be too concern about the price part.

Ultra Mackness
29th September 2013, 04:17 PM
Good luck getting hold of one whichever way you decide to go :) It will certainly be a great addition to your collection if/when you do get hold of one.

Kazza
30th September 2013, 03:39 AM

Well shop 22 on bourke st has a constant 20% off sale. It's marked at $350 so with 20% would make it $280. The one at ivanhoe I believe is flat $300. You can also try haggling for a fairer price.

Megatran
30th September 2013, 09:27 AM
Thanks everyone for your input. Much appreciated. Good to know there are local hobby stores that share our enthusiasm for TFs (& other collectable toys). Lets end this direction for this thread and move back to other talking points relating to "re-issue" Megatron MP-05.