PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Used G1s etc

OZDevastator
15th October 2013, 08:58 PM
Hey guys, I recently got a fair amount of G1s and they have got that faded colour issue going and want to make the most of them when it comes to displaying.

Did anyone have any ideas how to clean them up?

Iriorne
15th October 2013, 10:04 PM
For cleaning, I've done ok with damp cotton buds - just be careful around any stickers and use water to avoid taking off any paint. If they're easy to disassemble, you'll be able to get into crevices more easily.

Stickers can be replaced with reprolabels (www.reprolabels.com). White plastic that has yellowed can be fixed with a soak in some dilute hydrogen peroxide with sun exposure but I don't believe that works for colours. There's probably not much you can do short of repainting them.

You can limit further deterioration by limiting exposure to sunlight, and dim/dramatic lighting might help to hide the discolouration. :)

5FDP
16th October 2013, 08:22 AM
Baby wipes. A tiny amount of lighter fluid can help remove stubborn sticker residue. If there is yellowing, refer to this thread (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=7003&highlight=bath).

kup
16th October 2013, 10:51 AM
Baby wipes. A tiny amount of lighter fluid can help remove stubborn sticker residue. If there is yellowing, refer to this thread (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=7003&highlight=bath).

I second babywipes. The solution is strong enough to remove dirt and grime but soft enough not to damage any of the plastic. It has never failed me.

Just keep in mind that some dirt and sticker grime can be very stubborn so persistence is required. I have been in situations in which the grime seemed set in but after a few minutes of rubbing, it finally gave way showing pristine plastic underneath.

Warning: Do not wipe painted metal or chromed parts repeatedly with anything. The friction alone is enough to cause it to fade or the paint to peel off. If dirt doesn't come off with a damp cloth after a couple of passes, it is best to leave it be. Only use cotton tips for localized targeted cleaning and never use anything stronger than water.

Sinnertwin
16th October 2013, 11:46 AM
I also find babywipes are great for sticker residue. As for the dust i use a make-up brush and/or cotton tips

OZDevastator
16th October 2013, 07:12 PM
Thanks fellas :) Heading to the shops now!