PDA

View Full Version : Ultimetal UM01 Optimus Prime

Cat
26th October 2013, 02:09 PM
http://www.taghobby.com/1-0/1-1/art-storm-2014年發售-transformers-ultimetal-um-01-optimus-prime-78000yen/

Sure, it's expensive, but damn if that isn't the deadset nicest looking Optimus I've ever seen.

This thing is just gorgeous.

lancalot
26th October 2013, 02:45 PM
Wow :eek: it is very nice..... and make a great centerpiece for any collection that for sure ....but the price reflect it as well...

Lint
26th October 2013, 03:21 PM
Yep this definitely wins the award for world's finest Actionmaster

Ultra Mackness
26th October 2013, 05:09 PM
This looks fantastic! But wow, the pricetag is high :eek:

Cat
26th October 2013, 05:24 PM
It's an incredibly tempting piece.

INCREDIBLY tempting.

Sinnertwin
26th October 2013, 05:35 PM
I'm not impressed by it. I really don't see the point of owning a Transformer that doesn't transform

Tober
26th October 2013, 05:42 PM
If it could transform I'd consider getting it. As it is, it's just an upscaled detailed MP-10 with some light and sound gimmicks.

Cat
26th October 2013, 05:44 PM
But look at it what it can do, and the beauty of the sculpt.

You want it to transform? Fine, enjoy MP10, or even MP01.

This is for a different market to the average TF, and I think it's got a LOT of appeal for that market.

I'm glad we're getting products like this, and I REALLY hope this sells well enough to warrant more entries in the line. Even just a companion Megatron would be wonderful.

Tober
26th October 2013, 06:02 PM

I did, it is very nice. If it could transform and was more poseable I'd give it serious consideration.

You want it to transform? Fine, enjoy MP10, or even MP01.

I do, quite regularly.

This is for a different market to the average TF, and I think it's got a LOT of appeal for that market.

I'm glad we're getting products like this, and I REALLY hope this sells well enough to warrant more entries in the line. Even just a companion Megatron would be wonderful.

Given the flaws of MP-5, a statue of Megatron would make a lot more sense. If people want to collect the Gentle Giant statues or Movie Masterpiece Optimus statue, I can respect that just fine. I however come from the line of thought that if it doesn't transform, then it's not a Transformer. But that's just my opinion, and a lot of other people's.. ;)

I also don't own Fort Max or Metroplex on the basis that I don't really like centerpieces that are that large.

Trent
26th October 2013, 06:10 PM
I'm not impressed by it. I really don't see the point of owning a Transformer that doesn't transform

I did, it is very nice. If it could transform and was more poseable I'd give it serious consideration.

I do, quite regularly.

Given the flaws of MP-5, a statue of Megatron would make a lot more sense. If people want to collect the Gentle Giant statues or Movie Masterpiece Optimus statue, I can respect that just fine. I however come from the line of thought that if it doesn't transform, then it's not a Transformer. But that's just my opinion, and a lot of other people's.. ;)

I also don't own Fort Max or Metroplex on the basis that I don't really like centerpieces that are that large.

It is very nice but I'm gonna back these 2^. It doesn't interest me because it doesn't transform.

Ultra Mackness
26th October 2013, 06:36 PM
Looking closer at the photos, is there a mis-allignment of the chest panels, like the issue with MP-01?

I like it a lot as an homage to the character from G1, similar to the character busts.

If the price was around $200 I'd jump at it, but at the current asking price, it's a pretty, hypothetical centrepiece for me.

Jetfire in the sky
26th October 2013, 06:45 PM
Given the flaws of MP-5, a statue of Megatron would make a lot more sense. .

Just out of interest and heading off topic, what would you say are the flaws to MP5?

Tober
26th October 2013, 07:14 PM
Just out of interest and heading off topic, what would you say are the flaws to MP5?

In a word: Proportions. Mostly his skinny legs. However, his chest is too wide and arms too short and thin as well.

MP-5 also had QC problems such as rusting feet and a fragile waist joint.

Megatron
26th October 2013, 07:41 PM
It's certainly a nice display piece. But I'd rather a Megatron one. :o

griffin
26th October 2013, 09:03 PM
It's only 43cm... a bit disappointing, especially at over AU$800.

Cat
26th October 2013, 09:13 PM
It's only 43cm... a bit disappointing, especially at over AU$800.

Only?

It has light, sounds, animatronic mouth, removable panelling, poseability, AND a remote control.

EDITED OUT THE MATH OF THE STUPID

Sinnertwin
26th October 2013, 09:18 PM
Only?

It's almost 4 feet, has light, sounds, animatronic mouth, removable panelling, poseability, AND a remote control.

:confused:
4 foot?
It lists the item size as 430mm, according to Google Translate.
商品サイズ:約430mm

Omega Metro
26th October 2013, 09:21 PM
Only?

It's almost 4 feet, has light, sounds, animatronic mouth, removable panelling, poseability, AND a remote control.

But does not transform......Fail!

Cat
26th October 2013, 09:25 PM
But does not transform......Fail!

It. Is. Not. Meant. To.

Not. Everything. Has. To. Be. A. Damn. Toy.

i_amtrunks
26th October 2013, 09:27 PM
Price does not reflect what you'll actually get. It is a lovely, detailed figure, but for that kind of coin you can get alot more value for money.

Why would you need a remote control for just a few lights and noises? How lazy can you get? :p

Sam
26th October 2013, 09:37 PM
Very nice, but for that kind of money I would rather get a Perfect Grade Gundam. :)

GoktimusPrime
26th October 2013, 11:08 PM
Not my cube of Energon. :o

According to the Japanese text down the bottom, aside from what you'd expect, it also has an articulated mask (like MP01), and a voice chip in English* (presumably from the base, which comes w/ a remote control).

---------------------------------
*No idea if it's Cullen's voice, it just says that the voice is in English.

orionpax1
27th October 2013, 03:22 PM
This looks awesome but way too expensive. I agree with CAT, why does it have to transform, just because it is a representation of a transformers does not mean it has to transform and considering that all my transformers only get changed once and stay in robot form in cabinets. So for me it does not matter. Wish it was cheaper though.

Trent
27th October 2013, 05:39 PM
This looks awesome but way too expensive. I agree with CAT, why does it have to transform, just because it is a representation of a transformers does not mean it has to transform and considering that all my transformers only get changed once and stay in robot form in cabinets. So for me it does not matter. Wish it was cheaper though.

One only has to look to action masters to see the popularity of TFs that don't transform. And for that price, it would want to transform and drive me to work ;)

Wheelie
27th October 2013, 05:52 PM
One only has to look to action masters to see the popularity of TFs that don't transform. And for that price, it would want to transform and drive me to work ;)

I remember being so disappointed when I got one of those action masters when I was a kid, why make a transformer that can't transform?

Megatran
27th October 2013, 08:56 PM
I think everyone is looking at this from the wrong perspective. The obvious solution is to seek out Vector Sigma and turn this inanimate object into a true transformer.

Then pimp out OP to pay off the money you owe.

Oh yes, OP can drive Trent to work. :D

griffin
27th October 2013, 10:36 PM
why make a transformer that can't transform?

That's because up until that point, all Transformers toys could convert, but that just led people later to keep confusing "transformer" the verb with "Transformer" (r) the noun.

Since then, we've had countless figurines and other non-convertible Transformers toys (including a few humans, and even a Quintesson), but since Actionmasters were the first to break into that frontier, they are forever demonised as if they are the only non-convertible Transformers (r) toys ever.
When if fact, they were designed to be more cartoon/comic accurate representations of classic toys with better poseability than many of the originals (like the Movie Robot Replicas)... but unfortunately, they padded out the AM line with too many characters that were new, which defeated the point of the toy (to have a more detailed representation of a convertible "brick", uh, toy).

Saying that every Transformers (r) toy should transform, is like saying every Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle toy should be a turtle.
It's just a brand name... not an indication, or guarantee of what the product can do.

Cat
28th October 2013, 03:36 AM
A million times that.

Not eveything has to transform. Releasing things that don't doesn't take away from the toy budgets, doesn't affect their production, and doesn't send out a magic beam that turns all your toys mode-locked.

Btw Action Masters are ALSO awesome, and highly under-rated.

Luckily, there's room for all of us, and I enjoy collecting in both worlds, but it's damn irritating to have every new thing ruined by someone going 'but it doesn't transform' when it's something that was never INTENDED to transform.

It's the new 'Trukk Not Monkee'.

liegeprime
28th October 2013, 06:48 AM
I'd get one if it was affordable... as it is the price is quite prohibitive. :( I don't care if it transforms or not, I'm playing with my MPs more in bot mode anyways not in their vehicle mode. So this giant one would be most welcome... if not for the price.

Trent
28th October 2013, 08:03 AM
Saying that every Transformers (r) toy should transform, is like saying every Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle toy should be a turtle.
It's just a brand name... not an indication, or guarantee of what the product can do.

Not really. I see it more like making one of the actual turtles, like Donatello, a dugong ;):p

A million times that.

Not eveything has to transform. Releasing things that don't doesn't take away from the toy budgets, doesn't affect their production, and doesn't send out a magic beam that turns all your toys mode-locked.

Btw Action Masters are ALSO awesome, and highly under-rated.

Luckily, there's room for all of us, and I enjoy collecting in both worlds, but it's damn irritating to have every new thing ruined by someone going 'but it doesn't transform' when it's something that was never INTENDED to transform.

It's the new 'Trukk Not Monkee'.

It's nothing like Trukk not Munky (God I hate that saying. It sums up the stupidity and smallmindedness of this fandom in 3 (2 of which are spelled incorrectly) words :mad:). It's just a simple case of my personal preference. I collect actual Transformers, not statues, busts or any of the like.

As I said earlier, it's a fantastic looking piece that would look good in anyones collection. But the lack of a transformation takes the wonder out it for me.

I fail to see how that is "ruining" it for you :confused:

Tober
28th October 2013, 08:57 AM
That toy is ruined by not being able to transform. :(

I can see the point in a statue like Sideshow's Optimus Prime (http://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectibles/product-archive/?sku=4000321#) ($1200) or Megatron (http://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectibles/transformers-megatron-prime-1-studio-902075/) ($2000) from the Bay Movies, given that the transformation is too complex to accurately be portrayed, even at double the size of UM01.

It looks a lot like the cut-away picture from The Ultimate Guide book. So maybe they will do one for Megatron too...

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj230/AUST_Tober/OPM_zps2385fc74.jpg (http://s273.photobucket.com/user/AUST_Tober/media/OPM_zps2385fc74.jpg.html)

BigTransformerTrev
28th October 2013, 09:17 AM
Loving the fact you can even disassemble his gun - now thats cool! :D

UltraMarginal
28th October 2013, 06:37 PM
this really is a very pretty representation of Optimus Prime. If I won the lottery I'd be buying it probably Twice but I'm yet to win the lottery:(

As it is, if I did get one it would remain sealed until such time as I bought a new house with a collection room in it as otherwise there's no way i'll ever have room to display it.

I'm buying metroplex this week and as much as I want to display that it will be out for a while before I have to package it up and store it as my rotating display just doesn't have the volume for figures this size.

The face that this Ultimetal Prime is so similar to the previously released versions of Masterpiece Prime is testament I think to how well designed they were. I kind of like the removable panel gimick, it concernes me though that the final product will have a lot of slightly mismatched panel lines. I'd probably prefer it not to have removable panels, be slightly more articulae and have the existing spectacular detail it seems to have.

If you cn afford it and you have room to display it I say good on you, can I come over and check it out.:D

drifand
28th October 2013, 07:05 PM
For the price, I do expect it to transform. I know you think there is no need to, but we can put a poll and we see how many will agree for such a price tag it should transform.

I thought the Mazinger DX chogokin is a good comparison of a toy at this stage. EVEN THIS was under 45000yen.

http://blog.gundamplanet.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/dx-soull-of-chogokin-mazinger-z-review-381.jpg

This would be a "nice, but I pass" I mean really? I have not bought mp10, I could jolly well buy two and transform one in truck mode and one in robot mode and still have spare change for dinner and lunch the next day.

Oh and Perfect grade gundam, you probably could buy 3 of your selection. I have all of them.

drifand
28th October 2013, 07:39 PM
While are at it, I think the smoke stacks should give out smoke too?:rolleyes:

On the note, you would think such a Toy at this price won't be "made in China?"

For those who have no clue > it is $830 AU without shipping yet.

lancalot
28th October 2013, 07:51 PM
I wonder why it cost so much anyways?... i think the marketing got too ambitious for that price ....

Cat
28th October 2013, 07:54 PM
While are at it, I think the smoke stacks should give out smoke too?:rolleyes:

On the note, you would think such a Toy at this price won't be "made in China?"

For those who have no clue > it is $830 AU without shipping yet.

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m80/KJ_81/tumblr_lvcj1v245c1qint86o1_250_zps03fb8b2a.gif

drifand
28th October 2013, 07:59 PM
I wonder why it cost so much anyways?... i think the marketing got too ambitious for that price ....

Could be uranium metal? Or titanium parts.
Even so, Somebody could sculpt the same shape using less pricy materials or even do a model kit.

I am comparing this to robots at premium prices, this includes things like the new "Giant Gorg" by sentinial, Shin Getter by fewture, perfect change shin getters etc..... They are way complex in design.

Don't get me wrong, is nice, but you could get so much more for what you going to pay. I would think Bandai could do a better and cheaper option if they had the rights and license.

lancalot
28th October 2013, 08:36 PM
yeah i know....the price just over the top... must be the licence maybe.. OP is getting very popular now ...

Jetfire in the sky
28th October 2013, 09:22 PM
like complaining that a semi truck isn't faster than a Lamborghini Aventador off the line. .

Might have more torque though :p;):D

Trent
28th October 2013, 09:39 PM
Might have more torque though :p;):D

The original Dodge Viper was built using an engine out of a truck recast out of alloy. ;)

And we all know how that monster turned out :cool:

GoktimusPrime
28th October 2013, 10:49 PM
RE: Action Masters
Unlike Ultimetal Optimus Prime, Action Masters weren't just non-convertible merchandise or a sub line of toys - they were part of the "mainstream" line of Transformers and they comprised a reasonably significant part of the toyline at the time. This Ultimetal Optimus Prime is a piece of Transformers merchandise, it's not part of the action figure line proper. Transformation is a significant part of the appeal of the Transformers franchise - the 'puzzle play' is a core part of the Transformers line's play pattern. The bread and butter if you will. I can understand that there will be 'peripheral' toys and items of merchandise that don't transform - we've had that since the 1980s (e.g. voice changer Ultra Magnus etc.), but I think that action figures that are part of the "main" action figure line ought to be able to transform. ROTF Combiner Class Devastator was another more recent example of how a toy that didn't "really" transform (i.e had no individual robot modes) wasn't received well by the market, as evidenced by it's incredible shelfwarming.

As Cat said, this is not a toy. It's a piece of merchandise. It's a very expensive piece of merchandise, no doubt... but that's what it is. :o And as he said, if we want something to play with, that's what proper action figures are for, like MP10. Action Masters sucked because they existed in lieu of proper transforming action figures. :( Ultimetal OP is personally not my thing (neither are busts or statues), but I don't begrudge it either. It's not a toy, and it's not trying to be a toy... unlike Action Masters who were very much marketed as being part of the core action figure line.

Cat
29th October 2013, 01:45 AM
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=ACT10006&mode=retail

$1300US at BBTS.

I don't even want to know what their shipping will be.

And I (mostly) agree with Gok. We always disagree, but HE GETS IT.

He's just wrong about how awesome Action Masters were and are, but that's a whole different story. ;)

Everything else, he completely NAILED.

First sign of the apocalypse? YES.

But more important than the apocalypse, HE GETS IT.

And MP10 is such a great analogue for this piece. For some reason I cannot fathom, and I don't believe anyone has pointed out, this piece uses the covered leg-wheels of the MP10 design, when there was absolutely no need to. It's a bit of a strange choice really.

CBratron
29th October 2013, 02:06 AM
It's certainly a nice display piece. But I'd rather a Megatron one. :o

For that price, I'd like the Megatron one to have that funky glowing grid effects from when Unicron upgraded him in the animated movie.

kaiden
29th October 2013, 03:40 AM
And MP10 is such a great analogue for this piece. For some reason I cannot fathom, and I don't believe anyone has pointed out, this piece uses the covered leg-wheels of the MP10 design, when there was absolutely no need to. It's a bit of a strange choice really.

i saw it but it made no difference to me. Optimus has had various aesthetic design choices and really there's nothing wrong with having the wheels open/closed - its still Optimus.

to me the problem is that it looks way too much like MP-10. it looks 5x better sure, but costs 10x more...

Tober
29th October 2013, 04:29 AM

$1300US at BBTS.

And I (mostly) agree with Gok. We always disagree, but HE GETS IT.

He's just wrong about how awesome Action Masters were and are, but that's a whole different story. ;)

Everything else, he completely NAILED.

First sign of the apocalypse? YES.

But more important than the apocalypse, HE GETS IT.

It was pointed out on page one that it looks like an upscaled MP-10. It has the squared fuel tanks from MP-10, and the dead eyes, and ... do you really need what you can see spelled out for you? There are homages to MP-1 and 10 all through it.

A better look through this thread would also reveal that everyone GETS that it doesn't transform, and isn't supposed to. And that's why many don't want to GET it. Along with the premium price.

GOT IT?

Megatron
29th October 2013, 09:45 AM
For that price, I'd like the Megatron one to have that funky glowing grid effects from when Unicron upgraded him in the animated movie.

I wouldn't, as it would be a constant and expensive reminder of what happens to him in that horrible movie... :(

Instead... how about, a working fusion cannon? :D

GoktimusPrime
29th October 2013, 10:42 AM
I'd say it's for show-likeness, because in the G1 cartoon Optimus Prime's wheels just disappear.
http://tfwiki.net/mediawiki/images2/f/f6/Mtmte2_shermandam.jpg

Sinnertwin
29th October 2013, 11:12 AM
I wouldn't, as it would be a constant and expensive reminder of what happens to him in that horrible movie... :(

Horrible?!? Watching both Primes slap the taste out of his mouth were the best parts! :p

Now that would be cool on any Megatron figure :D

drifand
29th October 2013, 11:21 AM
My point was we don't need to get it that is cannot transform. It was the justification of the price tag. Like said, I have compared to very similar robot releases and being said Optimus is very basic in design.

Someone from my prospective who had build a PG gundam would know, this isn't a big deal and it shouldn't be priced that high.

Like said, is this made in Japan?

http://www.hlj.com/product/TKT49588/Sci

The model kit is for example a cool untransforming Optimus but hey it isn't a 20000 yen kit.

There will be somebody looking at this 70000yen boy and say "I can make this cheaper, affordable and better"

Megatron
29th October 2013, 11:22 AM
Horrible?!? Watching both Primes slap the taste out of his mouth were the best parts! :p

Yeah well, Galvatron doesn't count. :p

orionpax1
29th October 2013, 11:39 AM
I cant belive this thread has gone on as long as it has! Just because the figure does not transform!! How about we all agree to disagree.

kaiden
29th October 2013, 12:17 PM
I cant belive this thread has gone on as long as it has! Just because the figure does not transform!! How about we all agree to disagree.

haha ikr? i just ignored the whole thing and commented on the design. Thinking back on the price though, it would have been awesome if they incorporated different shell pieces so you could display it as your 'preferred' G1 Prime.

http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/u528/L45TN7/Transformers-Ongoing-Comic-Issue-6-_zps40c0e01a.jpg

or this one:

http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/u528/L45TN7/Alligatorprime_zps0bac4518.jpg

drifand
29th October 2013, 12:47 PM
That is not a bad shell.

UltraMarginal
29th October 2013, 01:23 PM
Could be uranium metal? Or titanium parts.
Even so, Somebody could sculpt the same shape using less pricy materials or even do a model kit.

Uranium is dangerously radioactive with a soft soapy texture. no.
If there was a significant amount of this machined from Titanium, you'd be looking at probably $5000 to $10000 at least. but damn that would be cool, Titanium is one of my favorite elements.

Looking at some of the super crisp edges on this, it's possible that a fair amount of the structure has been machined rather than cast, this would add a significant cost to the finished product but overall might actually be cheaper than setting up a casting production run for what is most likely a comparatively small number of units.

Machined Aluminium makes the most sense to me. but I may be biased:o

RE: Action Masters
Unlike Ultimetal Optimus Prime, Action Masters weren't just non-convertible merchandise or a sub line of toys - they were part of the "mainstream" line of Transformers and they comprised a reasonably significant part of the toyline at the time. This Ultimetal Optimus Prime is a piece of Transformers merchandise, it's not part of the action figure line proper. Transformation is a significant part of the appeal of the Transformers franchise - the 'puzzle play' is a core part of the Transformers line's play pattern. The bread and butter if you will. I can understand that there will be 'peripheral' toys and items of merchandise that don't transform - we've had that since the 1980s (e.g. voice changer Ultra Magnus etc.), but I think that action figures that are part of the "main" action figure line ought to be able to transform. ROTF Combiner Class Devastator was another more recent example of how a toy that didn't "really" transform (i.e had no individual robot modes) wasn't received well by the market, as evidenced by it's incredible shelfwarming.

As Cat said, this is not a toy. It's a piece of merchandise. It's a very expensive piece of merchandise, no doubt... but that's what it is. :o And as he said, if we want something to play with, that's what proper action figures are for, like MP10. Action Masters sucked because they existed in lieu of proper transforming action figures. :( Ultimetal OP is personally not my thing (neither are busts or statues), but I don't begrudge it either. It's not a toy, and it's not trying to be a toy... unlike Action Masters who were very much marketed as being part of the core action figure line.

Well said.

$1300US at BBTS.

Based on the weight and assuming you have an existing POL, i'd suggest it will cost about US$30 or so. Without a POL US$60-64 depending on shipping method. they seem to have 136 of them in stock.

And you thought it was hard to legally own a G1 accurate Megatron now!!:eek::eek::D

Though i admit that would be totally awesome!

I'm going to have to stop looking at this thread, the more I keep looking at the pictures of this "Merchandise" the louder the little voice in the back of my head is getting. "you can save up for this, easy just a few months of not eating. You can make room for it, just throw out the TV, Mrs UltraMarginal wont notice. much"

kaiden
29th October 2013, 01:34 PM
I'm going to have to stop looking at this thread, the more I keep looking at the pictures of this "Merchandise" the louder the little voice in the back of my head is getting. "you can save up for this, easy just a few months of not eating. You can make room for it, just throw out the TV, Mrs UltraMarginal wont notice. much"

Pass it off as MP-10! - She can't tell the difference (until she tries to transform it lol.)

drifand
29th October 2013, 02:11 PM
Last checked, I have a Turn-A Titanium Gundam and it definitely didn't go over $150. But like said, this would at most come close to the SOC DX Mazinger which I heard is like a brick.

If anything it will be diecast like what mp01 was. What is scary is it still stated pvc and a lot of plastic.

If this was more affordable, yes I buy one. The head seems to looks great, but for that price it better be.

drifand
29th October 2013, 02:13 PM
Pass it off as MP-10! - She can't tell the difference (until she tries to transform it lol.)

She be wondering why you are eating indo mee everyday.

UltraMarginal
29th October 2013, 04:39 PM

Unfortunately there is al ready an MP-10 in the house, she would be able to tell the difference. The size would be the biggest issue. money would have to come from my spending account which is mine to start with and I'd have to forego so many other transformers to be able to afford this fella. just out of my budget.

Last checked, I have a Turn-A Titanium Gundam and it definitely didn't go over $150. But like said, this would at most come close to the SOC DX Mazinger which I heard is like a brick.

If anything it will be diecast like what mp01 was. What is scary is it still stated pvc and a lot of plastic.

If this was more affordable, yes I buy one. The head seems to looks great, but for that price it better be.

If only Titanium transformers were made from Titanium and not die cast steel, they would have been so much lighter and less munted. unfortunately they would have been at least an order of magnitude (http://www.metalprices.com/p/TitaniumFreeChart) more expensive (http://www.metalprices.com/p/SteelBenchmarkerFreeChart).

drifand
29th October 2013, 04:54 PM
Titanium is harder to work with as well.

Anyway straight up, the prime is nice. But the price tag is way out, at least for me.

Cat
29th October 2013, 05:05 PM
No way would the BBTS shipping be less than $30. Nowadays they charge you more than that if you even blink at your POL. I've had cheaper smaller statues sent from them as part of my POL that cost a lot more for shipping, and that was before the latest increase, and on pieces that weren't as heavy as I'd imagine this will.

And I know BBTS has to have their mark-up, but that's ridiculous. That's more than I'm willing to pay, before shipping.

Good to see someone else tempted by this.

It looks to be a nice mix of diecast and plastic, and it does look machined, doesn't it. It should all be nice and precise. My only concern is chipping of the paint, as even their proto has a few examples of that.

And Gok, what I meant was that it seemed strange they copied the MP10 legs when if they were going for Dreamwave/cartoon (mostly DW, so many elements match up to Lee's disaster) look, then they didn't need to have any of that part there like that. The wheels could either have not been there, or be folded in behind, or any of a million other options. They aren't limited by having to account for a transformation, so parts don't need to be engineered as if they were, to that degree. I don't mind that they took MP10's approach, it works fine for me, I just think that was a curious element to take. Especially as again, they went so heavily off of the Dreamwave design. Just curious that they took that element from MP10. Not complaining, just think it's an interesting choice.

I still can't work out where the remote goes. It looks like it tabs into the base somewhere, going by the paint scraped off the tab on the remote. Can't work out where though. Does it simply slot behind the axe compartment and enclose that? It looks like it goes somewhere.

I love the Hasbro MP10 more than the TT because of the painted eyes. I hate the dead-eyed look, and while this looks perfect and beautiful, I imagine it'll look dead-eyed most of the time, as I wouldn't keep the lights permanently on. It's neat that it does have the remote though. Statues with light-up features are generally a pain in the ass because they're rarely in a convenient spot. The remote is a great remedy for that.

Tober
29th October 2013, 05:07 PM
Anime Export (http://www.anime-export.com/product/16720) has it listed for $886.92. Release in June, but you have to pay upfront.

drifand
29th October 2013, 05:29 PM
Anime Export (http://www.anime-export.com/product/16720) has it listed for $886.92. Release in June, but you have to pay upfront.

They should start instalments for such products. lol
It will feel "affordable" actually after all is their gain nothing to loose as long as the item is set aside and with a suitable time frame that you have to complete payment.

kaiden
29th October 2013, 05:33 PM
http://www.robotkingdom.com/just-listed-items/week-44-21st-october-2013/action-toys-transformers-17-ultimate-optimus-prime-preorder-available-in-december-2013.html

RK has it listed $799 and to ship: Registered Air Mail Parcel $90.14/EMS $132

drifand
29th October 2013, 05:47 PM
I wouldn't recommend to save on shipping at this stage. We are almost going to be charged GST for it.

Tober
29th October 2013, 05:54 PM
http://www.robotkingdom.com/just-listed-items/week-44-21st-october-2013/action-toys-transformers-17-ultimate-optimus-prime-preorder-available-in-december-2013.html

RK has it listed $799 and to ship: Registered Air Mail Parcel $90.14/EMS $132

Cool, thanks. Strange that their release date is December tho... Six months ahead of AE.

Sinnertwin
29th October 2013, 05:58 PM
I wouldn't recommend to save on shipping at this stage. We are almost going to be charged GST for it.

GST?

Lint
29th October 2013, 06:01 PM
GST?

Good-you're-Salivating Tax :p

kaiden
29th October 2013, 06:25 PM
How about whoever wins the lottery (in the near future) buys 10 of these to give away to members of the forum?

drifand
29th October 2013, 06:39 PM
GST?

ur yes, it almost reach 1K. I said almost.

drifand
29th October 2013, 06:40 PM
How about whoever wins the lottery (in the near future) buys 10 of these to give away to members of the forum?

This will have to be one of those big ones 20 mil, you be surprised that 4 mil wins are not often big after shared dividends.

Problem might be trying to obtain 10 by that time. lol

SkyWarp91
30th October 2013, 02:33 AM
Yep this definitely wins the award for world's finest Actionmaster

Hahahah XD
Most metal one too!

Cat
31st October 2013, 07:15 PM
In case anyone cares, BBTS have dropped their price, by a rather drastic amount.

Was $1400, and is now $979, obviously before shipping.

I guess they realised how insane that mark-up was.

Trent
31st October 2013, 08:02 PM
They probably have a standard percentage markup hat they apply to all products. It's just in this case it was slightly over the top :o

Tober
31st October 2013, 08:50 PM
So... Is anyone here actually going to order one? :confused:

Trent
31st October 2013, 09:14 PM
So... Is anyone here actually going to order one? :confused:

Cat was thinking about it, but I think he was turned off by the fact that it doesn't transform.

Which is a shame because that's really not the point. If only he understood...

Cat
31st October 2013, 09:20 PM
Cat was thinking about it, but I think he was turned off by the fact that it doesn't transform.

Which is a shame because that's really not the point. If only he understood...

I'm sick of explaining it to that bastard.

One day he'll realise it's not meant to transform.

;)

Edit: In case it's not clear, I'm jokingly referring to myself here.

Magnus
31st October 2013, 09:46 PM
While it's not my cup of tea, I think it's a very impressive piece of engineering.

At first, I thought that the 'skeleton' would be metal and the outer armour would be mostly plastic, but if Google Translate is correct, the armour is also metal, so materials alone would account for a large chunk of the asking price.

Reading the online translation, I'm also getting the impression that the face plate moves when the figure 'talks'! Are there any other Optimus figures that can do that?

So it doesn't transform. That doesn't bother me at all. I doubt people who would get something this big and expensive would be transforming it very often, if at all.

My only gripe is that I feel there should be more lights, namely the fog lights on his shoulders, his axe and his rifle.

If these pictures and description are any indication, it seems that if you're after the best possible rendition of G1 Optimus in robot mode, then you should seriously consider this.

Tober
31st October 2013, 09:52 PM
While it's not my cup of tea, I think it's a very impressive piece of engineering.

At first, I thought that the 'skeleton' would be metal and the outer armour would be mostly plastic, but if Google Translate is correct, the armour is also metal, so materials alone would account for a large chunk of the asking price.

Reading the online translation, I'm also getting the impression that the face plate moves when the figure 'talks'! Are there any other Optimus figures that can do that?

So it doesn't transform. That doesn't bother me at all. I doubt people who would get something this big and expensive would be transforming it very often, if at all.

My only gripe is that I feel there should be more lights, namely the fog lights on his shoulders, his axe and his rifle.

If these pictures and description are any indication, it seems that if you're after the best possible rendition of G1 Optimus in robot mode, then you should seriously consider this.

I think the shoulder lights do light up, as well as his eyes. Not sue about the axe.

Yes, the faceplate moves as he speaks, apparently.

The thing that bugs me most is that I might not like the actual finish on it. It looks too shiny, but that might just be the lighting...

Cat
31st October 2013, 10:05 PM
It looks like the fog-lights do light up.

I don't think the blaster does, but it's tough to tell for sure.

drifand
31st October 2013, 10:14 PM
Don't recall Optimus weapon is a Gatling gun, but oh whatever.

Magnus
31st October 2013, 10:34 PM
I think the shoulder lights do light up, as well as his eyes. Not sue about the axe.

It looks like the fog-lights do light up.

I don't think the blaster does, but it's tough to tell for sure.

Looks like you're right - there's that one picture where the fog lights are visibly brighter. In that case, I stand corrected :)

It seems like the axe just fits over his fist, as on MP10. Surely the designers can find a way to make it light up?

Cat
31st October 2013, 11:06 PM
Well the remote does have five buttons.

One for sound, one for chest, one for eyes, one for foglights. Maybe the other is weapon, or it's just a general on/off (which wouldn't make sense, but anyway). Or maybe the fifth one does everything at once?

Megatran
31st October 2013, 11:21 PM
^ Fifth button on the remote is the transformation????

Megatran
2nd November 2013, 01:38 PM

Hello Kaiden. Congratulations. You have just won US$10 Million from the Nigerian National Lottery. In order to access the full monetary amount, please send US$100 for processing & paperwork.

With the US$100 Million you have won, you are now in a position to pre-order 10 of the Ultimetal Optimus Prime for your fellow forumers.

Yours sincerely,
State Corporation Administration Management (SCAM).

kaiden
2nd November 2013, 01:50 PM
Hello Kaiden. Congratulations. You have just won US$10 Million from the Nigerian National Lottery. In order to access the full monetary amount, please send US$100 for processing & paperwork.

With the US$100 Million you have won, you are now in a position to pre-order 10 of the Ultimetal Optimus Prime for your fellow forumers.

Yours sincerely,
State Corporation Administration Management (SCAM).

aww i've never been nigerian scammed before! lots of british lotteries though... and once from microsoft about a virus they detected on my laptop...

Megatran
5th November 2013, 10:09 PM
In case anyone cares, BBTS have dropped their price, by a rather drastic amount.

Was $1400, and is now $979, obviously before shipping.

Another price reduction by BBTS, but this time only baby step. Now $950 US. Still comparatively more expensive than RK ($799).

Megatran
27th November 2013, 11:36 PM
Wondering if anyone pre-ordered Ultimetal OP yet?

MayzaPrime
9th December 2013, 06:52 PM
I would be surprised if anyone buys this figure, but if anyone does I would be interested to read a review. :D

UltraMarginal
10th December 2013, 10:36 AM
I'm still waiting to win the lotto.

MayzaPrime
10th December 2013, 03:52 PM
I'm still waiting to win the lotto.

I will hold you to than Ultra :p

UltraMarginal
10th December 2013, 04:14 PM
I will hold you to than Ultra :p

If I win tonights 30 Million Powerball i'll proably buy 3, one to display, one to keep MISB and one to try and transform. :D

Megatran
14th December 2013, 06:20 PM
Now delayed until March according to RK and BBTS. More time to save up for those who are looking to buy.

Megatran
18th February 2014, 08:23 PM

Holy crap, pre-order at BBTS has sold out!!! It required a $250 non-refundable deposit.

Better pre-order yours before they all disappear. :p:p

Trent
18th February 2014, 08:49 PM
Pfft. They can keep it.

DELTAprime
18th February 2014, 09:21 PM
Better pre-order yours before they all disappear. :p:p

Quick, wheres my credit card?:p

Megatran
14th March 2014, 08:20 AM
According to Robotkingdom, this guy is now delayed to April.

http://www.robotkingdom.com/action-toys-transformers-17-ultimate-optimus-prime-preorder-available-in-december-2013.html

Magnus
13th October 2014, 09:57 PM
TFW2005 have had a couple of news stories about this figure:

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/japanese-transformers-40/ultimetal-optimus-prime-new-videos-revealing-voice-box-and-metal-armor-181270/

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/japanese-transformers-40/ultimetal-optimus-prime-in-hand-181330/

Megatran
15th December 2014, 05:46 PM
WHAT.IS.TAKING.SO.LONG?

Megatran
26th February 2015, 05:39 PM
Finally Ultimetal UM-01 Optimus Prime (http://www.robotkingdom.com/atuop.html) is now available at RK.

drifand
26th February 2015, 05:54 PM
Finally Ultimetal UM-01 Optimus Prime (http://www.robotkingdom.com/atuop.html) is now available at RK.

such a shame with the bad Aussie dollar we be paying way more than it was.

UltraMarginal
26th February 2015, 09:54 PM
such a shame with the bad Aussie dollar we be paying way more than it was.

at US$1049 with shipping, yes it is.

lancalot
1st March 2015, 03:29 PM
kuma style (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5JfzdNHRhg)review of the figure

UltraMarginal
1st March 2015, 06:07 PM
It's a nice review, and a very nice piece, but I think I'm going to have to enjoy it from a distance, through other peoples pictures.

lancalot
1st March 2015, 08:16 PM
i'm quite impressed now that i seen the review , his armor shell is made of metal...so cool ...:cool: i too am going to admire from the picture only .... as it out of my price range