PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me a Matrix barer.

DELTAprime
29th October 2013, 10:05 PM
I just got some new shelves so I am ready to go shopping for some new Transformers to fill them. I'm starting with my Prime's shelves. What are some good Prime's (both Optimus and Rodimus) I've missed?

So far I have Encore Convoy, Alternity Convoy, GTR Prime, KP Convoy, KP Hotrodimus, Cybertron Prime, YOTS Energon Prime, RID Prime, Big Convoy plus whats in the photos.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21116457@N06/10553382765/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21116457@N06/10553383595/

GoktimusPrime
29th October 2013, 10:17 PM
+ G1 Optimus Prime
+ Bat Optimus Primal (possibly CD ROM Convobat if you can find one for a good price)
+ Optimal Optimus
+ Beast Machines Blast Punch Optimus Primal
+ Lio Convoy
+ G2 Hero Optimus Prime
+ G2 Laser Optimus Prime
+ Captimus Prime

Ode to a Grasshopper
29th October 2013, 10:21 PM
Laser Prime's pretty good.

Also, not a Prime exactly, but apparently Thunderwing had a bit of a Matrix thing going on in the Marvel comics.

Trent
29th October 2013, 10:42 PM
I'd second a Optimal Optimus. It's a pretty cool display piece. :)

Laser Prime's pretty good.

Also, not a Prime exactly, but apparently Thunderwing had a bit of a Matrix thing going on in the Marvel comics.

I'd kill for a Marvel comic accurate MP Thunderwing.

DELTAprime
29th October 2013, 11:20 PM
Thanks guys. I like that most of Gok's suggestions are cheap even after all these years have passed. The only ones I'll have to spend big for are the G2 Primes and Optimal Optimus.

Cat
29th October 2013, 11:51 PM
How naked does this 'barer' have to be?

You may need a Heinlad for that.

Ultra Mackness
30th October 2013, 05:52 AM
Not sure if I could see it in the photos, but Titanium Rodimus Prime?

http://www.transformers-universe.com/include.php?path=content/articles.php&contentid=789

Lint
30th October 2013, 08:57 AM
You will also need Nut Convoy, the most glorious of all Matrix bearers

http://i44.tinypic.com/1zp4dhy.jpg

BigTransformerTrev
30th October 2013, 09:12 AM
Optimus Suggestions
There is a way out of date pic of my Optimus Collection here that might give you some ideas:

http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=15361

Rodimus Suggestions
Titanium (small) Rodimus
DOTM Rodimus
Alternators Rodimus
Energon Rodimus

Yeah, he's a great figure - recommended :)

Bidoofdude
30th October 2013, 08:02 PM

http://www.transformers-universe.com/include.php?path=content/articles.php&contentid=789

He's like upgraded Classics Rodimus, only better. :);)

Trent
30th October 2013, 09:45 PM
He's like upgraded Classics Rodimus, only better. :);)

Not quite. Titanium figures aren't exactly known for their quality ;)

Magnus
30th October 2013, 10:31 PM
I was going to say DotM Ultimate Optimus and a version of the MP-1 mould - both of those are in Trev's picture.

GoktimusPrime
30th October 2013, 10:37 PM
Not quite. Titanium figures aren't exactly known for their quality ;)
+1. Titanium Rodimus Prime is a craphouse toy... really. He already has MP Rodimus -- that's good enough. :o

DELTAprime
31st October 2013, 06:26 PM
I was going to say DotM Ultimate Optimus and a version of the MP-1 mould - both of those are in Trev's picture.

I decided not to get Ultimate Prime at the time it was released because ROTF Buster Prime was so close to film accurate and Ultimate Prime felt like a massive step backwards. I have a MP-04 in storage, I guess I could get him out now I have shelving tall enough for him. Altho as I said in Gok's discussion on MP pricing I actually like MP-10 over MP-01, I'm a bit odd.:o

Cat
31st October 2013, 07:10 PM
Some Titaniums are quite nice.

I think they did a really good job on Ultra Magnus, Rodimus Prime, and ESPECIALLY War Within Optimus. I have the Pallisades WW Op statue, and the Titanium outdoes it lookswise. That's pretty astounding.

Some were bad, and downright awful, like Soundwave and the GIJOE Megatron.

The rest are somewhere in between. I do wish the line had gone on longer, as there were some great figures planned, but am glad they managed to at least get WW Grimlock and WW Prowl out.

Trent
31st October 2013, 08:05 PM

I think they did a really good job on Ultra Magnus, Rodimus Prime, and ESPECIALLY War Within Optimus. I have the Pallisades WW Op statue, and the Titanium outdoes it lookswise. That's pretty astounding.

The rest are somewhere in between. I do wish the line had gone on longer, as there were some great figures planned, but am glad they managed to at least get WW Grimlock and WW Prowl out.

War within Optimus was the only one I ever had and I wasn't that impressed. Each time I transformed it I could feel the metal wearing :(

It looked great. Just couldn't really touch it.

EDIT: Wait… I always assumed when people were talking about Titanium Ultra Magnus they were referring to the white war within Prime. There is an actual Ultra Magnus?! :eek:

I may have to track one down despite my dislike for titanium figures.

GoktimusPrime
31st October 2013, 09:39 PM
I'm not at all impressed by War Within Optimus Prime. I find the engineering to be just downright underwhelming, and the paint apps amateur. Rodimus Prime is also a toy I'm not fond of either... that massive cavity in the middle of the body really hurts the robot form, and that itty bitty spoiler fin on mine swings down really easily during toy play. The chest also untabs pretty easily during play too. I do appreciate the challenge in trying to have a Rodimus Prime toy that transforms into a robot by integrating the trailer into the robot mode rather than just detaching it... but the execution is just rather lacklustre. Admittedly they did a much better job with Ultra Magnus. I probably would've bought that toy had it been released in stores locally; but it doesn't impress me enough to import one.

EDIT: Wait… I always assumed when people were talking about Titanium Ultra Magnus they were referring to the white war within Prime. There is an actual Ultra Magnus?! :eek:

Yeah... much like Rodimus Prime, Titanium G1 Ultra Magnus actually incorporates both the trailer and cab into the same robot mode without separating them, which is a pretty neat concept. But it's better done on Ultra Magnus. I'd recommend checking out someone else's Ti G1 UM IRL first before deciding on whether or not you wanna go through the effort/expense of importing one. I've seen this toy several times IRL and it hasn't inspired me to do so. :/ Here's (http://cliffbee.com/reviews/magnus6.php) dirge's review. :)

Magnus
31st October 2013, 09:41 PM
I decided not to get Ultimate Prime at the time it was released because ROTF Buster Prime was so close to film accurate and Ultimate Prime felt like a massive step backwards. I have a MP-04 in storage, I guess I could get him out now I have shelving tall enough for him. Altho as I said in Gok's discussion on MP pricing I actually like MP-10 over MP-01, I'm a bit odd.:o

Good point with Ultimate Optimus - I just thought if you wanted a massive Optimus and weren't too fussed with screen-accuracy, it would be a good bet.

Have you seen this thread? (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=17172) Maybe you could get one of these.

DELTAprime
31st October 2013, 10:29 PM
Have you seen this thread? (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=17172) Maybe you could get one of these.

I have enough cash to buy him but just can't justify spending that much on one Transformer.:(

Cat
31st October 2013, 11:09 PM
War within Optimus was the only one I ever had and I wasn't that impressed. Each time I transformed it I could feel the metal wearing :(

It looked great. Just couldn't really touch it.

Yep, an actual G1 UM that's not just a repaint.

It's pretty neat, incorporating everything into one transformation. Quite well done, IMO.

Ultra Mackness
1st November 2013, 05:56 AM
I've got both Titanium G1 UM and Titanium G1 Rodimus, and I like them both, but to look at, not necessarily to play with. The reason I like them is at they're more in scale with G1 Optimus and at the time I picked them up (pre Classics line - I think it was Universe ~2007) I was only looking to have G1 in my collection. Also UM apparently has a cavity for a matrix in his chest (I haven't checked it as mine is kept MISB but I imagine that the matrix from Hybrid style Convoy would fit). They're certainly something different for a display shelf if you can find them at a reasonable price - last time I checked UM was goin for ~$150 USD, waaay more then I paid for him.

And I don't think it's been suggested yet, but THS-02 Hybrid Style Convoy?

DELTAprime
1st November 2013, 11:32 AM
OK, I'm going to buy a Optimal Optimus. Just wondering did he come with batteries installed or not. If he did come with batteries installed I might go loose complete instead of MISB.

BigTransformerTrev
1st November 2013, 01:26 PM

I'm not at all impressed by War Within Optimus Prime. I find the engineering to be just downright underwhelming, and the paint apps amateur. Rodimus Prime is also a toy I'm not fond of either... that massive cavity in the middle of the body really hurts the robot form, and that itty bitty spoiler fin on mine swings down really easily during toy play. The chest also untabs pretty easily during play too. I do appreciate the challenge in trying to have a Rodimus Prime toy that transforms into a robot by integrating the trailer into the robot mode rather than just detaching it... but the execution is just rather lacklustre. Admittedly they did a much better job with Ultra Magnus. I probably would've bought that toy had it been released in stores locally; but it doesn't impress me enough to import one.

Yeah... much like Rodimus Prime, Titanium G1 Ultra Magnus actually incorporates both the trailer and cab into the same robot mode without separating them, which is a pretty neat concept. But it's better done on Ultra Magnus. I'd recommend checking out someone else's Ti G1 UM IRL first before deciding on whether or not you wanna go through the effort/expense of importing one. I've seen this toy several times IRL and it hasn't inspired me to do so. :/ Here's (http://cliffbee.com/reviews/magnus6.php) dirge's review. :)

I really liked the titanium series personally, and it introduced the Cybertronian (WW) versions of a lot of G1 characters.

I got the 6 inch WW Optimus Prime, Rodimus Prime, Hot Spot, WW Megatron, WW Starscream, Sunstorm, Soundwave & Laserbeak, Scourge & The Fallen. I thought they were all good, even if the Seekers looked a bit chubby in the chest and face. WW Megatron was the shiz-nit! :D

I also have the 3 inch Ark, Unicron, WW Optimus Prime, Optimus Primal, Jazz, Bumblebee, Rodimus, Starscream, Thundercracker & (Predacon) Megatron. Nice solid little figures as compared to the plastic Robot Heroes. :)

I'd still love to get Grimlock, Prowl and G1 Ultra Magnus but they are just always too pricey whenever I see them on ebay :(

Trent
1st November 2013, 01:47 PM
OK, I'm going to buy a Optimal Optimus. Just wondering did he come with batteries installed or not. If he did come with batteries installed I might go loose complete instead of MISB.

I don't think he does. I picked up a MISB one earlier in the year and had no problems so that makes me lean towards him not coming with batteries.