PDA

View Full Version : Scratches

Wheelie
31st October 2013, 09:03 PM
Well I had to do a repair to my new mp bluestreak when I shoved his head too far through his bonnet. Anyway, whilst I was removing one of his pins, I scratched one of his side panels.

Can anybody recommend a method of polishing or buffing out the scratches?

1orion2many
31st October 2013, 11:04 PM
I think Kup normally uses baby wipes but I think it takes a bit of effort sitting there rubbing away;)

griffin
1st November 2013, 01:10 AM
What about one of those car-scratch pens... which were being advertised everywhere half a year ago, but now for some reason I haven't seen it being advertised at all. Maybe they were a scam, or were causing more damage to the paintwork over time.
I wonder if clear nail polish would help smooth over scratches?

Wheelie
1st November 2013, 05:46 AM
I think Kup normally uses baby wipes but I think it takes a bit of effort sitting there rubbing away;)

Cool, I'll try the wipes first, and post how it ends up

Jetfire in the sky
1st November 2013, 06:53 AM
I've seen those pens at Big W. I have no idea if they work or not.

loophole
1st November 2013, 08:10 AM
I've seen those pens at Big W. I have no idea if they work or not.

I'm a painter and find those pens laughable, had to repaint a bonnet of a car because the owner went nuts with one and it looked very undesirable...

jazzcomp
1st November 2013, 08:14 AM
how deep is the scratch? Can car wax buff them out?

Wheelie
2nd November 2013, 07:38 PM
how deep is the scratch? Can car wax buff them out?

There not too deep, but wipes don't seem to be working, will try wax next

jazzcomp
3rd November 2013, 12:10 AM
I've used touch-up paint from Honda on my car and it didn't fix it well. I tried those paint wax colors and didn't do well :(

It isn't noticeable from a distance but once you look close, you'll see those scratches.

Jetfire in the sky
3rd November 2013, 11:50 AM
I'm a painter and find those pens laughable, had to repaint a bonnet of a car because the owner went nuts with one and it looked very undesirable...

LOL :D:D

Trent
3rd November 2013, 04:53 PM

And yet a friend of mine had a red Lancer years ago with stone chips galore in his bonnet, his sister went to work with her red nail polish and it worked really well. Unless you were looking for them you couldn't see the touch ups at all :)

Cat
4th November 2013, 05:56 PM

This is such a great quote when devoid of any context.

Wheelie
5th November 2013, 08:45 PM
This is such a great quote when devoid of any context.

:D

Iriorne
6th November 2013, 06:17 PM
Depending on how deep the scratch is, you could try ultra-fine polishing pads or cloths to buff out the scratches. You can get a set of micro mesh sanding pads with a dozen or so pads are graded from 1500 to 12000 roughness.They use their own scale, but 1500 is roughly 800 grit, from memory. Scale model makers use them to buff out scratches or crazes in clear parts and restore transparency.

You should be able to find a video on YouTube if you search for something along those lines but the basic procedure is to start with a coarse grade then get progressively finer, buffing out all the scratches from the previous grade. It will look bad at first but should get progressively better - just keep a light touch and be careful not to sand through the paint. Finally buff it with some plastic polish and a soft cloth. Novus #2 is often recommended but I think it's an American brand so I don't know how easy it is to get here. I'd be surprised if there wasn't an Australian equivalent.