PDA

View Full Version : Spoiler character and theme info from movie writers.

griffin
26th July 2008, 11:24 PM
From the MTV Movie Blog.

Writers Reveal Theme Of ‘Transformers’ Sequel. The Bad News? No Dinobots - July 24, 2008
http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2008/07/24/writers-reveal-theme-of-transformers-sequel-the-bad-news-no-dinobots/

Expect to see more Transformers doing battle in ‘Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen’ next summer, say writers Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman (they also penned the script for original mega-hit last summer). Just don’t go in expecting a T-Rex. Yes, fans of all the various incarnations of Transformers have wondered what new robots in disguise they might see in the next go round currently filming. Well Orci and Kurtzman confirmed to MTV one you won’t be seeing: Dinobots. “We couldn’t quite figure out how to justify a robot that would pretend to be a dinosaur,” Orci said.
Alright no dinosaurs. I guess that would be hard to make work even in a movie about talking robots disguised as cars. But surely Megatron will be back? Orci and Kurtzman playfully danced around the question. “Didn’t he get thrown into the bottom of the ocean?” Kurtzman laughed, with his partner adding, “That would be silly” in regards to a return for the arch-nemesis of the Autobots.
So what about the storyline? Bay has said in the past that Orci and Kurtzman sold him on the concept of a first “Transformers” movie by explaining that at its core the story was really about a boy and his car. So what theme lies at the heart of the sequel? Orci revealed that “It’s about being away from home. It’s a few years later and Sam is going to finally go to college and he’s going to face being away from home just as the autobots are having to deal with being away from Cybertron.”
Oh, and what about that title? Why “Revenge of the Fallen”? Orci deadpanned, “Because ‘Transformers 2′ sounds stupid.”

Pulse
26th July 2008, 11:35 PM
I like this quote from Tekka on Seibertron (http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/orci-and-kurtzman-reveal-theme-of-transformers-sequel-and-a-bit-more/13606/):

"They're bullsh#tting, plain and simple. There's always a way to write something into a story. If they legitimately can't think of a way, then they shouldn't be writing."

:D

griffin
26th July 2008, 11:50 PM
Also wanted to include this link that I posted in the IDW news posting. It includes a lot of info on the comics that will tie in with both the first and second movie, including the reign of Starscream comic.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=17412

Plus, apparently makes mention that the second movie will indeed include a character called 'The Fallen'. Then again, we were told from the beginning that the movie people will be sending out false info all the time to throw off the fans, and make the movie more surprising when we get to actually see it.

MV75
27th July 2008, 12:28 AM
?It?s about being away from home. It?s a few years later and Sam is going to finally go to college and he?s going to face being away from home just as the autobots are having to deal with being away from Cybertron.?

Anyone else unnerved by this? :D

I can see the third movie:

Sam gets a job and buys a house, mows the lawn on the weekends.

The transformers also get jobs, buy a warehouse to live in and mow the ener-grass and pull out the ener-weeds. And every year they all go the the accountant and do their taxes.

Then the ending is where they're all playing bingo in the old folks home, and instad of peeing on s7 agents, bumblebee just pees all over himself. The end.
________
Eleanor (1973 Mustang) (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Eleanor_(1973_Ford_Mustang))

Robzy
27th July 2008, 01:37 AM
I like this quote from Tekka on Seibertron (http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/orci-and-kurtzman-reveal-theme-of-transformers-sequel-and-a-bit-more/13606/):

"They're bullsh#tting, plain and simple. There's always a way to write something into a story. If they legitimately can't think of a way, then they shouldn't be writing."

:DThe funny thing is, I was thinking the same thing when i read this the other day... what legitimate writer worth their salt would say "We couldn’t quite figure out how to justify (it)" ???

They are basically saying 1 of 2 things: Either they don't have the skills as writers, or they're saying "it can't be done"... :eek: WTF??? That's the Producer's job to say that!

TheDirtyDigger
27th July 2008, 08:52 AM

The transformers also get jobs, buy a warehouse to live in and mow the ener-grass and pull out the ener-weeds. And every year they all go the the accountant and do their taxes.

Then the ending is where they're all playing bingo in the old folks home, and instad of peeing on s7 agents, bumblebee just pees all over himself. The end.

You've got some inside info haven't you MV75?!

I don't even know why they have to put puny humans in the movie at all.
Coming this Summer 2009: 'Post-Adolescent Boy and the Ugly Robots 2: Sam Gets Laid'.

Kyle
27th July 2008, 10:19 AM

I hope they're only giving out false information to confuse/distract people... :o

MV75
27th July 2008, 03:50 PM

You've got some inside info haven't you MV75?!

I don't even know why they have to put puny humans in the movie at all.
Coming this Summer 2009: 'Post-Adolescent Boy and the Ugly Robots 2: Sam Gets Laid'.

Yea, I also have part of the script:

Prime: "Dammit! Can't I disable the audio functions on these protoforms"?

Megs busts on in "Hand over the allspark now"!

Prime: "What? this old thing, take it".

Megs gives puzzled look.

Prime: "Seriously, go ahead man, I have no time for it anymore, I have a mortgage and a family now, so you'll be doing me a favor by taking it, as I want to set up a home theatre in here, and it was just taking up too much space".

Megs: "Err, ok, thanks".

Megatron leaves and starts to ponder on when it all happened, when Prime became uncool and tied down unable to have a boys night out, fighting and destroying the town, and also thinking what sort of plastic fantastic PC thug of a douche he'd escape becoming from not creating any protoforms of his own.....
________
Universal Life Insurance Advice (http://www.insurance-forums.org/universal-life-insurance/)

SilverDragon
27th July 2008, 04:08 PM
ME GRIMLOCK NOT LIKE.

If they can justify giant alien robots turning into vehicles and crashing to earth, they can justify giant alien robots turning into dinosaurs.

I say they could be lying for all we know.

MV75
27th July 2008, 04:16 PM
But really, dinobots? Meh. Meh I say. I'd rather see devastator.
________
Genetically Modified Food (http://gmfoods.info/)

Pulse
27th July 2008, 04:48 PM
Screw Devastator! :p

I'd rather see...

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/transformers/images/thumb/0/01/Liokaiser.jpg/400px-Liokaiser.jpg

Geminii
27th July 2008, 06:31 PM
I dunno, I'd rather see Devastator. Only problem is that they would need to justify taking up seven character slots and thirteen CGI models to do it. Still, it would be damn cool to see a sextet of green protoforms entering the atmosphere in tight formation. Or even one big distant meteorite splitting into six parts halfway down.

Dinobots... they're kind of a one-trick pony. Admittedly, though, that one trick is being giant robot Michael Bays and blowing the living crap out of everything BECAUSE THEY CAN.

Heck, you could probably get away with just having Grimlock in there, walking the line between Autobot and Decepticon. It's a pity the Allspark went bang - it would be a plot excuse to have him grow to enormous size and go all mecha-Godzilla before being shrunk back down.

As to how to get them in there, freakin' *easy*. Have a line from one of the Autobots to Sam saying that if the thing they scan is just a framework, their disguise systems make a 'best guess' at what the covering should look like. Then have Grimlock or the Dinobots land, get attacked by Decepticons just as they're looking to scan local modes (including maybe a silver Mustang, hee), and have their scanning beams get jolted to a dinosaur skeleton exhibit at a nearby museum, or even a "dinosaur skeletons made out of junk" artwork.

Come on, that took me, what, one second to think up and seventeen seconds to type. And ALL HOLLYWOOD can't figure out how to do this? Where do I pick up my check?

kurdt_the_goat
27th July 2008, 06:42 PM
If there's no Dinobots, then there must be no Wheeljack :(
Surely if he was there he'd be able to whip up some Dinobots in no time.. modern-day writers be damned!

Bartrim
27th July 2008, 07:49 PM
They are basically saying 1 of 2 things: Either they don't have the skills as writers, or they're saying "it can't be done"... :eek: WTF??? That's the Producer's job to say that!

Or they are saying "We've actually done this but we're not telling you we have":D

kup
27th July 2008, 09:09 PM
I am taking the same approach as I did the first movie, mainly due to the quality of people in charge of it.

I don't like Bay and his style and the writers have proven to be the 'if it works at a financial level, rehash it' sort and that goes for their other non TF movies too.

The first movie was good but there was an awful lot of things that kept it from being something great, a huge part of it was Bay's style while the other was lazy writing or rehashed/cheap humor.

So the potential for something bad is still there as in the first movie as well as the potential for something 'ok' or at least good but not great but it could go either way but I doubt it will something truly great.

Mixmaster
27th July 2008, 09:19 PM

lol. I wouldn't at all be surprised at this rate..

Robzy
27th July 2008, 09:58 PM
I think you hit the nail on the head Kup!

The problem with these guys is that they seem to be trying to make "Transformers" in to something it's not!

PirateCop
13th August 2008, 05:53 PM
i think it wouldve been cool if the dinobots were man-made transformers which wouldve explained the robo dino modes and their personality

SilverDragon
13th August 2008, 10:05 PM
I am taking the same approach as I did the first movie, mainly due to the quality of people in charge of it.

I don't like Bay and his style and the writers have proven to be the 'if it works at a financial level, rehash it' sort and that goes for their other non TF movies too.

The first movie was good but there was an awful lot of things that kept it from being something great, a huge part of it was Bay's style while the other was lazy writing or rehashed/cheap humor.

So the potential for something bad is still there as in the first movie as well as the potential for something 'ok' or at least good but not great but it could go either way but I doubt it will something truly great.

I think that the main thing keeping the first movie back was that they were introducing the robots from the human perspective, so you had a bunch of humans who were now being overshadowed by giant robots, and giant robots who had inferior character development to the humans (i.e. none).

That and the humour. Yeah, Bay, I don't see why masturbation references are in a family movie.

When I inevitably see RotF, I'm just going to go in crossing my fingers for giant robot action.

Pulse
14th August 2008, 12:03 AM
That and the humour. Yeah, Bay, I don't see why masturbation references are in a family movie.

Or Bumblez p#ssing on that Sector 7 person... :rolleyes: