PDA

View Full Version : SH*T!!! (insert Profanity)

lcz128
27th July 2008, 11:02 AM
The dremel I just bought - for customising ... I just blew its charger!!!

I didn't know about the voltage difference, being the wise, well travelled and sage-like person I am and now... it's shat itself. <_<

RANT RANT FRUSTRATION!

Am trying to get into the warranty side of things, but it REALLY REALLY sucks cause I just got it on Friday. <_<

GRARGH!

On the upside, the dremel still has power and I am doing some modestly funky things with it. Pics soon. ARGH!

jaydisc
27th July 2008, 01:51 PM
Argggh... you bought a Yankee dremel? Shoulda asked the Yank ;)

Pulse
27th July 2008, 02:06 PM
Argggh... you bought a Yankee dremel? Shoulda asked the Yank ;)

I bet you would have supersized it first before you sold it to him... :D

STL
28th July 2008, 02:44 AM
:( :( :(

STL
28th July 2008, 03:20 AM
Looking at the title again, I'm surprised you didn't borrow my oft used eloquent phrase from last Wednesday night. ;)

It'll be okay with a new power supply, yeah?

GoktimusPrime
28th July 2008, 11:21 AM
Doesn't the U.S. have a different voltage from Australia? If so you may need to use a transformer (step-up/down). If you were using a transformer and it still blew on you then you might need to see if there's something faulty with the transformer or if it was the actual charger itself that buggered up on you. Hope things work out either way. :/

Paulbot
28th July 2008, 12:52 PM
Doesn't the U.S. have a different voltage from Australia? If so you may need to use a transformer (step-up/down). If you were using a transformer and it still blew on you then you might need to see if there's something faulty with the transformer or if it was the actual charger itself that buggered up on you. Hope things work out either way. :/

How odd that a post on this messageboard that contains the word "transformer" three times has nothing to do with toys :P :)

GoktimusPrime
28th July 2008, 01:12 PM
And the only time the word "transformer" is mentioned in the live action movie was in reference to an electrical transformer. :p

kup
28th July 2008, 01:34 PM
I dunno, from South America which uses the same voltage, socket, etc as the US has alwasy worked fine in Australia. The same goes when I take something from AU to South America.

GoktimusPrime
28th July 2008, 03:32 PM
I honestly don't know what U.S. voltage is tbh. It's either an issue with the transformer if voltage conversion is an issue - and/or an issue with the actual appliance itself. *shrug.shrug* But hey, we got to discuss transformers in a non toy or fantasy related way, so that was fun. :)

Zippo
28th July 2008, 04:04 PM

Yep 110V compared to 230-240V here.

lcz128
28th July 2008, 04:31 PM
:( Am much saddened by it still. :(

GoktimusPrime
28th July 2008, 06:24 PM
Why? So long as you use a transformer everything should be sweet. As I said, if it is a voltage issue then it's either something faulty with the transformer or the appliance. Are either covered by warranty?

jaydisc
28th July 2008, 09:47 PM
North America is 110V @ 60Hz. Many devices (e.g. computers) are world voltage 100-240 @ 50 or 60Hz and will auto-sense, thus typically only requiring a physical adapter to make the prongs match. If, however, you need to plug in a 110V only device into an EU/AU socket, you MUST get a voltage reducer or face the consequences.

GoktimusPrime
28th July 2008, 10:04 PM
you MUST get a voltage reducer or face the consequences
Awww, you skipped around using the word 'transformer' in a non-geeky way. :p ;) :D

lcz128
28th July 2008, 10:51 PM
I already have faced the consequences. .. .. . Y'see - the CHARGER blew itself. white smoke and all. It will not power on even with a step down convertor. :(

GoktimusPrime
29th July 2008, 11:00 AM
Were you already using a transformer when it blew up (and in some cases you may need to ensure that you have the transformer correctly set to step down 240-110V, some do it automatically while others need to be manually set)? Needless to say that if the charger is already fried using a transformer now would be useless. :p

If you were using a transformer correctly and it still blew up then I think it's either a fault with the transformer (i.e.: didn't convert the voltage) or the charger. But to me it sounds like a fault with the transformer.

jaydisc
29th July 2008, 08:00 PM
LCZ, did the actual charger emit smoke? Or the power adapter for it? Or is it all the one & the same thing?

excelonzero
17th August 2008, 04:21 PM
Ms Fressange explained

What we have here is TWO factors.
a) Voltage
b) Wattage

Most Transformers step down 240 to 100-110 Volts with ease. What many people (mostly Americans) forget is the wattage.
A transformer is designed to safely transform a set amount (or lower) of wattage.
common transformers can handle about 50w-100w (see the panel on the transformer for the Maximum wattage)

Common problems occur when you exceed the transformers wattage , Say by putting a hairdryer (1000w) into a small wattage (say 100w) transformers. What happen to both the device and the transformer I can't say.

Is this any help?