PDA

View Full Version : Rung's Alt Mode (*MTMTE Spoilers and speculation for Dark Cybertron*)

Paulbot
6th November 2013, 11:14 PM
The question of what Rung transforms into was recently solved in the latest issue of More Than Meets The Eye (the space series).

Kind of. He transformed but he doesn't know what he transforms into. Nobody does. It's just a thing.

And this evening it just clicked for me.

So I went and got an old comic out to check.

And then I was even more sure of my guess.

Last spoiler warning

Compare and contrast the lever that manually transforms Metroplex in the UK comics and Rung's alt mode.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/78cee99088aed48d0fa6777056736622/tumblr_mvuc5y32LZ1qbguy1o1_500.jpg

Look at how Blaster and Swerve are grasping their items. Consider how James Roberts is a diehard UK comics fan.

And think about how important the Metrotitans are in the IDW universe.

What might happen if Rung is plugged into Metroplex?!?

Or he could just be an ornament.

Cat
6th November 2013, 11:21 PM
Nailed it.

Jinto
7th November 2013, 03:36 AM
:eek: I love the level of foreshadowing in these comics. Roberts is the best.

i_amtrunks
7th November 2013, 07:01 AM
I think that if you aren't exactly spot on, that you are so ridiculous close that it does not matter. I too am sure it has something to do with the titans.

Considering Rungs age, it certainly makes sense.

Deonasis
7th November 2013, 08:01 AM
Not that I read the comics but from those 2 images, titans and Roberts i'd say.. Bullseye!

kup
7th November 2013, 08:52 AM
I think you nailed it. The parallels are too close to ignore.

You have a very good memory to remember what is essentially a trivial panel.

Krayt
7th November 2013, 08:59 AM
To me, Rung looks exactly like... a Rung!

Paulbot
7th November 2013, 09:43 AM
I'd been thinking rung = ladder and that made me think of "Jacob's Ladder" to heaven. Rung's maybe some way involved in accessing the AllSpark or whatever Cybertron heaven is in IDW G1?

I think you nailed it. It's parallels are too close to ignore.

You have a very good memory to remember what is essentially a trivial panel.

I do love the comics. :) Metroplex's big switch is memorable in its own way, but not something I've thought about in years. For some reason though Goktimus and i_amtrunks comments yesterday made it come back to me.

GoktimusPrime
7th November 2013, 10:31 AM
Brilliant observation, Paulbot! :D

Makes me simultaneously resent and love this character now. Love because of the epic role that Rung is playing and will play in the story and the whole functionalist thing from a story POV. Resent because he's becoming this passive Cosmic MacGuffin/Mary Sue/Poochie character, and also because there's no toy! (although he could but Hasbro would have to give him a more marketable alt mode like a scooter bike or something (which I would be perfectly happy with)). <sigh> I'm really not a fan of recurring main characters in Transformers that aren't based on a toy. :/

SMHFConvoy
7th November 2013, 04:19 PM
I like the idea that Rung's alt mode is a giant lever/ screwdriver and if Hasbro released a Rung that changed into one I'd buy it!

GoktimusPrime
8th November 2013, 11:47 AM
I'm sure most adult fans would buy a Rung toy even w/ that ridiculous^unconventional alt mode, but of course Hasbro would have to make it a recognisable vehicle for it to have broader market appeal to be a viable product. :) I'm sure fans would still come up with a way to approximate him into a lever mode (much like how RTS Perceptor has a fan made microscope mode and FoC Shockwave has that fan made gun mode, et al. ;)).

kup
8th November 2013, 12:19 PM
I'm sure most adult fans would buy a Rung toy even w/ that ridiculous^unconventional alt mode, but of course Hasbro would have to make it a recognisable vehicle for it to have broader market appeal to be a viable product. :) I'm sure fans would still come up with a way to approximate him into a lever mode (much like how RTS Perceptor has a fan made microscope mode and FoC Shockwave has that fan made gun mode, et al. ;)).

It's not as if Hasbro is above giving us ill defined 'It's a space ship because we say it is' alt modes.

griffin
8th November 2013, 12:32 PM
If they could sell a "head on legs", not once, but twice, just because it was in the cartoon (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Grand_Mal)... Hasbro could easily sell a Rung toy in its comic-book "series" if it is packed in with a comic and sold in robot mode.

griffin
15th November 2013, 10:40 AM
I wonder if anyone has had another look over their Metroplex toy for any unexplained post-holes or activation gimmicks, that the designers at Hasbro thought enough in advance to incorporate, for a Legion or Deluxe class Rung toy down the track to plug into....

kup
15th November 2013, 12:36 PM
I wonder if anyone has had another look over their Metroplex toy for any unexplained post-holes or activation gimmicks, that the designers at Hasbro thought enough in advance to incorporate, for a Legion or Deluxe class Rung toy down the track to plug into....

I doubt there is such a thing. The whole 'Rung' alt mode thing appears to be purely narrative motivated given the parallel with the Marvel G1 lever.

griffin
15th November 2013, 09:22 PM
I doubt there is as well, but had the thought yesterday that the moment Rung is revealed in the comic to be a vital part of a Titan (if that guess is true), someone somewhere is going to be looking over their Metroplex to see if there actually is a spot for one (at least, for the 3rd party producers who would be all over it).

kup
19th November 2013, 11:49 AM
I doubt there is as well, but had the thought yesterday that the moment Rung is revealed in the comic to be a vital part of a Titan (if that guess is true), someone somewhere is going to be looking over their Metroplex to see if there actually is a spot for one (at least, for the 3rd party producers who would be all over it).

It all depends on how Rung would eventually interact with Metroplex in IDW. If it's something like him plugging into Metroplex from the outside then I am sure the 3rd parties would be all over it (Hasbro wouldn't really give a toss).

I can imagine 3rd party companies producing an actual comic accurate Rung figure that transforms into a lever. Some of the more clever 3rd parties would make him as a triple changer with a scooter and lever modes. They would also include whatever upgrade Metroplex needs to interact with Rung with lights and sounds.

BigTransformerTrev
23rd November 2013, 10:37 PM
Finally got this comic today - 'an ornament' - fricken great :D

bassbot
24th November 2013, 03:09 PM
Love how Rung is presented in the comics and this comparison from classic g1 could be spot on!

MayzaPrime
25th November 2013, 06:54 PM
I think a Generations Rung toy could work, if the Generations line is aimed at collectors most of us will buy one, I know I would I don't have a Transformer that Transforms into an ornament. :D

BigTransformerTrev
26th November 2013, 08:50 AM
It's interesting the reaction Rung has gotten as a character. Drift recieved so much anger, and so many 'He's not a G1 character, why are they putting him in a G1-based comic?! Why are they trying to shoehorn new characters in with so many cool ones already?!' reactions

Yet Rung, not a big sports-car-ninja-samurai-ex-con, but a little pyschiatrist that turns into bugger all, is universally loved. Don't get me wrong, I love Rung too, but I loved Drift as well and it's interesting to see the difference in popularity with others

Paulbot
26th November 2013, 09:54 AM
The difference is Drift was introduced as this really awesome guy with really awesome swords and was really awesome at fighting and was just so cool that we just had to love him and buy his four issue miniseries and spotlight issue and complain anytime Drift wasn't in an issue by asking 'where's Drift'?

Rung meanwhile is such a weak (bright spark notwithstanding) loser that despite being around a really long time, most Transformers don't even know his name.

Rung earned the popularity with fans over time (which is still rather low overall) whereas we were basically told Drift was popular before he had the chance to earn it (which triggered the backlash).

griffin
26th November 2013, 02:24 PM
From what I've seen of Rung and Drift, Rung looks to be more of what you'd call a "cult character", in that most fans probably don't have any significant favouritism in it like other classic characters, because it has just been a background character most of the time. But even background & backup characters get their brief moment in the spotlight, and it only takes a vocal minority to make it a bright spotlight when it happens.
Drift on the other hand was someone new that the writers, IDW and Hasbro tried to shine the spotlight on all the time, right from his first appearance as if he were someone important like Optimus, at the expense of the story or other pre-existing characters that could have been utilised instead.

Drift wasn't "bad" per-se... but the execution of the character by all the parties behind the scenes, into the Ongoing IDW Transformers Universe at that time felt like trying to bang a square peg into a round hole. It didn't feel or look right, and took a lot of effort to get him into a role that still feels forced after all these years of him being in the comic.

Deonasis
26th November 2013, 04:12 PM
Continuing this tangent.. Excusing my patchy knowledge but would you say Animated Lugnut is a character that fans embraced first and then Hasbro took notice and began to incorporate him more into Transformers lore. Rung isn't a WWII bomber but there is a similarity here.

Or was poor Lugnut just jammed in as a proof of continuity between the G1, Animated and movie series?

i_amtrunks
26th November 2013, 07:43 PM
Continuing this tangent.. Excusing my patchy knowledge but would you say Animated Lugnut is a character that fans embraced first and then Hasbro took notice and began to incorporate him more into Transformers lore. Rung isn't a WWII bomber but there is a similarity here.

Or was poor Lugnut just jammed in as a proof of continuity between the G1, Animated and movie series?

A little from column A and a little from column B...

Plus Lugnut is just plain awesomesauce. Also he filled a role that was never filled by any other pre-existing G1 character, a blind and devout follower of Megatron who would do anything to appease him.

Only character who is in he same mold is BW Inferno.

BigTransformerTrev
26th November 2013, 08:08 PM

Has Lugnut turned up in many other continuities?

The most I can think of is that he got a Reveal the Shield toy, which is just a toyline, and he was in a group scene of Decepticons in the Spotlight: Trailcutter comic. But then so was the Animated version of Blitzwing, just with a different face, so I'm not sure if that counts as being jammed into other TF genre's - more just filling out the ranks.

But then maybe there are some other appearances I am not aware of?

Sinnertwin
26th November 2013, 08:30 PM
I dont see Lugnut's appeal, but each to their own.
The most he accomplished was probably getting shot in the head during the battle of Autobot city (in box comic included in the Rodimus vs Cyclonus two pack) Pfft. :p

BigTransformerTrev
26th November 2013, 10:22 PM
I dont see Lugnut's appeal, but each to their own.
The most he accomplished was probably getting shot in the head during the battle of Autobot city (in box comic included in the Rodimus vs Cyclonus two pack) Pfft. :p

Really? I have that comic somewhere - will have to check it out (if I can ever find it). :rolleyes:

Just remembered Lugnut has a Kreon figure as well. You'd think since I only got it 6 months ago I would have remembered that :p

Sinnertwin
26th November 2013, 11:04 PM
Really? I have that comic somewhere - will have to check it out (if I can ever find it). :rolleyes:

Just remembered Lugnut has a Kreon figure as well. You'd think since I only got it 6 months ago I would have remembered that :p

He's in it for one panel, IIRC
Apart from what has already been metioned, he was also featured in the Animated continuity :)

BigTransformerTrev
27th November 2013, 08:54 AM
He's in it for one panel, IIRC
Apart from what has already been metioned, he was also featured in the Animated continuity :)

I did like him in the Animated continuity, his worshipful, fanatical devotion to Megatron would have made him a good candidate for DJD membership :D

griffin
24th December 2013, 01:31 PM
Something secret coming soon from Hasbro as a Toy (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/comics-16/newsarama-discusses-idwhasbro-success-teases-new-collaboration-178972/) that relates to the Dark Cybertron story, that even amazed IDW... Rung came to mind, as the "well known premise from FFOD".
But then, I haven't been reading the story as the issues have come out, so could be any number of IDW characters.

From Editor John Barber...

I think that’s a big moment for us—and there’s this amazing thing happening near the end of “Dark Cybertron” that I couldn’t believe it was going to make the jump to the toys. But I can’t talk about it yet, which is a lame answer but it’s really a fun twist on a well-known premise. It was something that originated—I think, if I remember right—with Mark Weber on Transformers brand team, and More Than Meets The Eye writer James Roberts and I couldn’t believe it was an idea on the table, let alone that it would be reflected in the toys. Sorry to have to be really vague about it.

BigTransformerTrev
24th December 2013, 01:34 PM
Something secret coming soon from Hasbro as a Toy (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/comics-16/newsarama-discusses-idwhasbro-success-teases-new-collaboration-178972/) that relates to the Dark Cybertron story, that even amazed IDW... Rung came to mind, as the "well known premise from FFOD".
But then, I haven't been reading the story as the issues have come out, so could be any number of IDW characters.

From Editor John Barber...

Considering what his alt-mode looked like in the comic, one must assume the toy will transform into a laser-pointer :p

i_amtrunks
24th December 2013, 02:17 PM
I liked Paulbots theory from earlier.

Or could it have something to do with Waspinator's rump?

It would make sense for it to be a later in the year toy release, something we may not hear about till botcon, which means it is most likely not Swerve, Skids, Waspinator Dreadwing etc.

If not Rung, then who? Maybe Fort Max or the DJD... :p

Paulbot
24th December 2013, 04:57 PM
Well there was a listing for a new Nightbeat toy but we haven't seen it yet. And 'Headmaster' is a well known premise that hasn't been in a TF line for a while...

Geminii
5th February 2014, 10:07 PM
Considering what his alt-mode looked like in the comic, one must assume the toy will transform into a laser-pointer :p

Sonic screwdriver. :)

Bidoofdude
7th February 2014, 04:12 PM
I hope we do end up getting a toy for him, alt mode is a mystery, looks like some type of key or something to me. Love his design though. :)

Deonasis
7th February 2014, 05:55 PM

From Editor John Barber...i sadly do not read the comics but Wingblade is in Dark Cybertron and the long bow that i will draw is they are talking about a G1ish Arcee (or girl figures in general) that are rumoured to be released.

Back to Rung and Metroplex, on Metroplexes left shoulder are 2 U-shaped cut outs. I know these flip over when you reveal the gun emplacement but i think they look odd, like something should sit in them but nothing that came with Metroplex fits. Would it seem silly for Rung to slot into those cutouts like a key and activating the emplacement? MAKE IT SO, SOMEBODY!!