PDA

View Full Version : Kid-friendly Grimlock

serialmonkey
18th November 2013, 12:54 PM
Hey all,

I've just started watching select G1 episodes with my 4 year old and he is a massive Grimlock fan. I want to get him one for Christmas, and was originally thinking of picking up a Generations Grimlock as it's the easiest to get hold of. Problem is, I'm not a fan of the transformation with the Generations mold. I think he will have trouble with the legs (I know I do !)

Can anyone recommend a kid-friendly easily-transformed Grimlock ? Is the Animated mold any better ?

Thanks,
M.

Gouki
18th November 2013, 12:59 PM
Energon Grimlock maybe? I've not touched the figure myself, but it looks like it'd be really easy to transform. And that it's rather chunky, not to intricate. He looks like G1 Grimlock, too, so that helps.

Otherwise, yes, the Animated Grimlock is great. Easy to Transform. Great representation of the character, but as with (I found) a lot of animated toys, he was loose and a little floppy, which made him less satisfying to play with.

kup
18th November 2013, 01:07 PM
Yeah the voyager Generations (FOC) Grimlock is fairly simplistic. Your best way to go for child friendliness and G1 accuracy. The other grimlocks are just as complex or more so with a further loss of show accuracy aside from MP which is aimed a adult collectors and certainly not recommended for a 4 year old.

There is G1 Grimlock but I would not recommend a vintage sample for a kid due to fragility and expense. There is the KO 'Bommander' but that isn't exactly cheap either as well as a counterfeit. It may also have weird safety hazards like lead paint and whatnot.

Lint
18th November 2013, 01:42 PM
Hey all,

I've just started watching select G1 episodes with my 4 year old and he is a massive Grimlock fan. I want to get him one for Christmas, and was originally thinking of picking up a Generations Grimlock as it's the easiest to get hold of. Problem is, I'm not a fan of the transformation with the Generations mold. I think he will have trouble with the legs (I know I do !)

Can anyone recommend a kid-friendly easily-transformed Grimlock ? Is the Animated mold any better ?

Thanks,
M.

You're right, definitely not Generations Grimlock. It's gotta win the most breakable toy of 2013 award.

A pre-loved G1 Grimlock is your best bet, it's simple and robust. However I would also recommend Classics Grimlock if show accuracy is not absolutely paramount.

kup
18th November 2013, 01:46 PM
You're right, definitely not Generations Grimlock. It's gotta win the most breakable toy of 2013 award.

A pre-loved G1 Grimlock is your best bet, it's simple and robust. However I would also recommend Classics Grimlock if show accuracy is not absolutely paramount.

Is Generation Grimlock also fragile? I was thinking it was just simplistic but sturdy.

UltraMarginal
18th November 2013, 01:58 PM
I don't mind the current Generations Voyager Grimlock, it does take a bit of manhandling to get the tail together and organising the legs into place while not difficult can be a bit tricky from a spacial perspective. The light up gimmick is pretty cool for a kid though.

the older classics grimlock is a little complex. The legs on the beast mode are a bit more articulate.

Apart from them I don't have a lot of Grimlock experience. I'm not sure any of them would be particularly easy for a 4 year old to transform. They would both be playable by a 4yo with assistance to get between modes.

BigTransformerTrev
18th November 2013, 02:18 PM
Energon Grimlock maybe? I've not touched the figure myself, but it looks like it'd be really easy to transform. And that it's rather chunky, not to intricate. He looks like G1 Grimlock, too, so that helps.

I've got pretty much every Grimlock bar the G2 and Beast Wars ones (I've currently got Titanium coming in the mail) and yeah, Energon Grimlock is the easiest of the lot to transform. Of course if you want to be really kid friendly you can always get a Mighty Muggs or Robot Heroes Grimlock, though with no transformation they are definetly lacking in play value.

I've got an old pic of most of the Grimlocks in this thread if it's of any help: http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=15361

Edit: Now I come to think of it, I'm a filthy liar as there are lots of Grimlocks I don't have! I forgot Action Master Grimlock, Pretender Grimlock, 3-inch Titanium Grimlock, Heroes of Cybertron Grimlock etc. But I still think an Energon Grimlock, or maybe a FOC would be best for your lad ;):)

kup
18th November 2013, 02:26 PM
I forgot about ANimated Grimlock. That could work.

i_amtrunks
18th November 2013, 03:30 PM
I forgot about ANimated Grimlock. That could work.

That was my first thought.

Otherwise Foc or Energon Grimlock will work, Energon is smaller but astupidly easy to transform, while FoC has a light up chest/mouth for play value.

Deonasis
18th November 2013, 04:04 PM
'Generations' may be getting mixed up here.. Classics has the head split as feet. The new voyager is a Fall of Cybertron design. And which legs, robot or alt mode?

The Animated version does look big and cool and can be cheap in the OTCA saleyard now. And there are 2 other animated Dinobots for company.

serialmonkey
18th November 2013, 04:18 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies.

My original post was referring to the FoC Grimlock.

Sounds like I might go Animated - especially since I can get the other dinobots as well. He won't mind that it's not 100% G1 authentic. He will mind if the transformation isn't simple.

Might trawl through the saleyard :-)

M.

serialmonkey
18th November 2013, 06:10 PM
Of course, if anyone wants to offload theirs then feel free to PM ! Haven't spotted anything in the sale yard yet, but it's kinda tricky to search

GoktimusPrime
18th November 2013, 10:26 PM
My daughter's the same age as your son... so for a toy that he could happily transform and play on his own, I'd recommend Animated Activator Class Grimlock. :)
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh193/tamo536/Picture003-38.jpg (http://www.snstoyshop.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/f/i/file_116_1.jpg)